Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• jeffs80jeffs80 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 2000 2.9 and am interested in installing a phone or keypad in the area to the left of the radio where the little door scrolls up. i saw a phone there in a picture once in a magazine. anyone familiar with this and what the cost is. i think the cars overseas have the option for the phone to be put there. can we? please advise.
  • shaunsshauns Member Posts: 24
    Check the back postings on this net. The in-dash phone uses the European standard cell phone system, which is incompatible with the US systems. Perhaps things have changed by now and you can get a US standard phone. However, a lot of stuff has to be altered to incorporate this (dash, armrest compartment), so it may be only a factory install option.

Shaun
  • tennbergtennberg Member Posts: 45
    Hi there,

This is only my second post to this site over 6 months. I am mostly a casual observer, noting problems other people have had other than my own. However, there are a few problems with my S80 that have been nagging me ever since I got it.
    I will list them and explain them as best I can:

Problem 1: A sucking noise eminating from behind the dash console. This has been a problem ever since I had the car. What happens is that while driving, a sucking noise will eminate from behind the dash. It almost sounds like the air being let out from a basketball or something similar. It will last anywhere from 2 to 5 seconds, and can occur every 30 seconds to every couple minutes. The dealer I go to said that it is not a problem. However, a car of this caliber should not be making that noise. Any clues as to what it may be?

Problem 2: Very low range on the remote door opener. I have read several comments on here that the way to do it is hold it at an angle when pointing it at the car. When I do this, I am able to open the car doors from about 150 feet away (only facing the front end though). If I try to open the doors from the back end or hold the remote differently, I have to be within 2-5 feet of the car before it works. Is this due to a low battery or is this just what happens?

Problem 3: When at idle in traffic, the tachometer jumps anywhere from 1 to 3 notches. I also mentioned this problem to my dealer, who said it is simply due to the A/C cylcing on and off. However, the car does this even when the A/C is off and has not been on for several hours. Any clues?

Problem 4: Car rolling back severely on hills. The car will roll back anywhere from 2 to 5 feet on a hill, making driving anywhere annoying. As I mentioned above, a car of this caliber/price should not roll back on hills. What should I do.

Those are my 4 gripes with my car. Besides that, this is one of the best cars I have ever driven. In addition, with winter fast approaching here in Boston, I am looking at getting snow tires. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with the Nordfrost II tires.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Mike
  • saisisaisi Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem.It can drive you crazy.My Volvo dealer said that it is very common and Volvo does not have a fix for it.Volvo could sell a lot more S80's if they would react to customer complaints.There must be a way of fixing this.I will probably sell the car if it is not corrected soon.Too bad because basically it has been a great car.
  • kjewelkjewel Member Posts: 19
    The car rolling backwards on a hill is due to the very low idling RPM for the S80. Check your tach. It idles at about 550-600, significantly lower than previous vehicles. With this heavy bruiser, it is not enough to hold it on mild hills. Just use the brake!

The "sucking" noise may be reated to the ventilation. I get something similar too but have not yet said anything to the dealer. I used to have a Saab 9000 that was REAL noisy as servo-mechanisms in the ventilation system adjusted to all the measured parameters.

I think the key-fob thing may be a security issue, or just bad placement of the sensor in the auto. I have experienced the same problems. It is not a fob battery problem. I have somethimes found that if I hold the button down a little longer, it helps.

Tach jumping? Who knows?
  • overcashovercash Member Posts: 1
    I have a Volvo S80. At 800 miles, the driver's seat started wearing and discoloring. I have the Venetian Red with I guess Sable interior. I took the car in to the dealer and he said this was normal wear and tear on the car from getting in and out. He said they would repair it once, but if it happens again, it's on me. He also said I was the only one with this problem? Have any of you had this problem with the leather seats? I love my Volvo, but must admit it wasn't made for short people. The seat belt does cut in your neck and it is next to impossible to see over or around the headrest. The only other problem I had was the back door not closing. And yes, it does roll back on hills, but those touchy brakes work great.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #487:

overcash, you should expect some normal wear and disappearance of dye of the outside bolster edge over time. In my case it happens because I insist on keeping a brick for a wallet in my back pocket and it rubs the bolster pretty hard each time I get in or out of the car. I've had it happen on Volvos but it isn't usually noticeable at all for at least the first 15k miles or so. I just recently noticed it on my S80 T6 which has just over 28,000 miles. I asked my local dealership about it and they mentioned that they could dye it for me and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. However, they wanted to charge me. I ended up buying some Meltonian #137 charcoal gray leather polish which seems to do the job for now but at some point I'll have to buy actual dye I suppose (and maybe think about another location for my wallet - along with loosing some weight!)

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • dfwt6dfwt6 Member Posts: 24
    FWIW, I noticed a dramatic improvement in range with the reprogramming of my remote to "1-touch all-door-unlock", almost like the car's not waiting for, or not waiting for, a 2nd command from the fob.

Better range is also had from pointing the right edge of the fob at the car. The transmitter antenna must be on that side, not along the top where you might normally point the top edge of the fob at the car.
  • neil2212neil2212 Member Posts: 16
    I agree, the one-touch unlock seems to have increased my range significantly. Go figure.
  • pavlofpavlof Member Posts: 2
    The first 1k have been driven on my new "01" S-80 T-6. Still love the car, but have a question about the turbo(s). Has anyone experienced turbo lag and then rapid acceration while moving in slow traffic. Seems to get worse as the "stop/go effect wall-to-wall traffic increases over time. It is not a "lead foot effect." The car just takes off! Have nearly done a number of "rectal examinations" of the cars in front. Any thoughts appreciated
  • j2k1j2k1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering an s80 but have just one concern the dealer could not answer: is the navigation system GPS-based? That is, can it actually give you directions from where you are at any time or is it just a map? The lexus I drove (GS 300) had a navigation system tha was GPS-based and was able to give speaking directions while we drove. It also included points of interest such as restaurants, stores, movie theaters and other sites. Neither Volvo dealer we checked had the CD for the system and, therefore, could not demo it. Anybody have this system and care to describe how it works and what it can and can't do?
  • derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    To the best of my knowledge, the nav system is GPS-based, i.e. it can locate your car wherever you are, I've seen the demo of it and it is really impressive. I am not sure about the restaurant info but hopefully someone with the system can help here.

In regards to the air 'sucking' noise behind the dash, my 99 S80 2.9 has exactly the same problem. Sometimes it happens for a few days then stops for a while before happening again. I must say that this is very annoying indeed, I've brought it to the dealer couple of times but they could not find any problems, they blame it on the ventilation system. As far as I can remember, I didn't have this sucking noise for the first 15k(I am at 22k now) and I have no idea how this suddenly happens. If anyone has knowledge of any fix to the problem, I'd appreciate if you can let me know!

Thanks!
  • mkrichmkrich Member Posts: 8
    All car nav systems are GPS based--except the compass in mirror or dashboard variety...
    Regarding post #492:

j2k1, to follow up on mkrich's reply, the Volvo system performs just the way you described and includes the same points of interest information. All navigation systems in the U.S. use mapping information supplied by Navigation Technologies (www.navtech.com). The latest systems are DVD-based so a single disc can hold more info that a standard CD ROM but in the Volvo the system uses a 6-disc changer so it's not an issue in general. Eventually I believe all systems will be DVD-based. Also, the Volvo system is the only one I know of where the drivers eyes stay on the horizon and the hands on the steering wheel to operate the unit (Infiniti has a dash mounted screen for the I30 but the buttons are not convenient from what I've seen.)

If I can answer any questions let me know.

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • pbergman2pbergman2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking into buying an '01 s80 and both dealerships I've visited are heavily pushing the European delivery program where they fly you to Europe to pick up your ordered car and drive it to the docks to be shipped to US. They say this will save $4k off the price. Am I missing something? Why the big push? I see the pro's--I can order the car exactly the way I want it, it's "less expensive" than buying direct from dealership, and you can get a "free" trip to Europe out of the deal. What are the cons?? What's the advantage for the dealer? Does anyone have info about this?
  • bhtonguebhtongue Member Posts: 4
    Hi Mike. Almost certainly the sound you are hearing is from the A/C compressor. We had the exact same thing on our '99 S80 T-6. I complained about it and was told that it was normal. When I test-drove another S-80 I had to agree that it did it as well. It is, IMHO, a design flaw and I suspect an unfixable one without a major HVAC redesign. I HATED it - it truly drove me nuts that an expensive new car let me hear the A/C pressure relief while EVERY other car I've ever owned was (in comparison) silent. That, along with the suspension thunks, light failures, and miscellaneous other problems were what led me to sell it after 1 year (back to my dealer). We replaced it with a '00 BMW 323 Touring. Although everyone will have their own preferences, to my wife and me the difference is like night and day. We really, really love the BMW whereas at best we liked the Volvo (when it was working somewhat correctly). Less room in the rear for our kids, that's true, but the driving experience is a world apart.

Ben
  • jlfoxjlfox Member Posts: 14
    It's a great program with real savings. I've used it for 6 Volvos over the years, including a 2000 T6. Some dealers are not willing to put the effort into learning how to do it but for those who are they get a normal profit margin on these cars(ignore rumors to the contrary), so you make no enemies. I can only guess that these dealers want to get your business as there are dealers taking these orders by phone/fax and Volvo delivers the car to any dealer of your choice. You also get more choices. For example, try to find the light blue color 444 except thru European delivery.
  • tex03tex03 Member Posts: 3
    I am going to buy an S80 T6. Any guidance on what price others actually paid would be helpful (price relative to msrp, invoice, etc). Thanks.

Tex
  • barrysharpbarrysharp Member Posts: 10
    My car which was picked up July 1, 2000 has 5400 miles and I've been monitoring the coolant level at least once per week since reading postings several months ago about some members reporting a mysterious loss of coolant.

Today when I started the car the "low coolant" warning msg displayed saying stop engine immediately. I did and checked the coolant.

It was at the MIN level. I had checked it about a week ago and it was at level its been ever since July 1 (just below MAX level).

The only change I find significant at this point is that the car has 5400 miles on it and the winter temperatures are setting in. This morning it was around 40 deg F.

I topped the expansion tank up to the MAX level and went about my business.

Comments?

I understand this issue might be related to a water pump seal -- any thoughts on this ?

Regards... Barry
    '00 T6, Build 2/00, Metalic Moondust

• pbergman2pbergman2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for your feedback. I appreciate the insider info on where and how, etc. Hadn't even thought about the snow! And even the color info is good to know. A 6x customer of this program must mean something!
    My T-6 is my first Volvo but I used to occasionally drive some friends' 300ZX Turbo and Saab 900 Turbo. All have a turbo lag; this car, when it kicks in, is almost as strong as that 300ZX (but FWD makes it not as squirrelly as that Nissan).

Turbos always drive different. I've intuitively changed my driving style in this car to a moderate double-pump of the accelerator to effect a smoother acceleration curve. I guess the first "pump" gets the turbo started so it's there for you on the second pump.

In the interim, if you don't get this technique down, just tap, don't hold, the accelerator through the power curve, and coast into the next car (rather than accelerate into it).

Cheers!
    No responses to my question as to what folks actually paid for their s80? Is anybody out there? thanks for any help.
  • moon_towermoon_tower Member Posts: 2
    We have had a mysterious coolant loss too (1999 T-6, about 40,000 miles now). On one dealer visit, they said that it must be a bad auxiliary cooling fan. The theory was that the car was slightly, but undetectably overheating causing the coolant to leak out. I was skeptical, and sure enough, the low coolant message came on again after about a month. This time the dealer replaced the radiator. I don't think we've had the car back long enough too see if it is still leaking.

Only a week or two after our last unscheduled maintenance for the coolant, I went to the garage and found that I could not get the car out of park. The tow truck had to drag the car along the garage floor then up the flat bed with the front tires locked. I hope that did not hurt anything else. I have not heard the explanation yet, but I will post when we get the car back. It's been at the dealer for almost 2 weeks now.

We are about ready to get rid of this car because of all the problems: clunk sound, recall, 4-CD changer died, car would stall in traffic (fix was computer program was redownloaded), radiator, now the transmission lever is locked. We love the car. We may get a 2001 just to see if some problems have been corrected. The other option is trying an Audi A6 2.7T to see if they are any better. We just don't have time to take the car to the dealer all the time, and pretty soon, it will come out of our pockets.
  • ldor13ldor13 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem as your problem #3 (see below)on my 2000 2.9 I had it fixed at the dealer when my car was in for the recall. They replaced the Air Mass Meter (FP # 9438757-8) under warranty. It's been about one month and I have not had the problem.

"Problem 3: When at idle in traffic, the
    tachometer jumps anywhere from 1 to 3 notches. I
    also mentioned this problem to my dealer, who said
    it is simply due to the A/C cylcing on and off.
    However, the car does this even when the A/C is off
    and has not been on for several hours. Any clues?"
  • javaseajavasea Member Posts: 11
    $33,610 for an OSD 2.9 with leather and SR package as only extras. We got metallic paint at no cost. Received a $500 coupon and an additional $500 from VNA for poor service. VNA did a very nice job of "fixing" the problem. I bought it from a dealer in Fall Church, VA for overseas delivery, and delivered to a dealer near my home in Atlanta. I feel very good about the price and everyone got a piece of the deal. We have had the car for a year and 10,000 plus miles. Our service dealer is great and we have not had major, repeating or even minor repeating problems. I hope this helps, Tex.

Javasea
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    Just turned 17000 miles in 11 months.. yes, I have enjoyed driving this car, and wanted others to know I have had no problems with my car. I did have the recall done, and the CD was replaced due to a lateral skip issue.. other than this, not one problem. Having said this, I will soon sell my car for "fit" issues and get a new E430 which seems to fit my body better. I do believe, the S80 T6 is a GREAT value.. when all is considered.
  • tennbergtennberg Member Posts: 45
    Hey everybody,

This post is a continution of a previous post I made with a laundry list of problems my 2000 S80 2.9 was having.
    I took my car into my dealer (Boston Volvo Village - Brighton, MA) and gave them my list of problems to look at. They fixed the clunk in the steering wheel by replacing a centershaft (that's what they told me), they put on a new door seal, and they reinstalled the door lock program into the car. They told me that they did not notice any of the other problems my car seems to be having.
    A couple of days after having the car out of the shop, I was driving around town with my roommate. All the doors were locked and had been for some time. Suddenly, the right rear door lock unlocked while all others remained locked. This scared the shi* out of me to suddenly hear such a noise while driving. I have made another appointment to visit the repair shop for this problem. They do not know why it is happening again, nor do they know why it happened in the first place. I have a feeling my car may be in the shop every weekend to simply redownload this door lock problem. Does anyone out there have any suggestions to this?
    Second, after gettning my car back, the brakes now seem OVERLY sensitive (as if they weren't sensitive enough to begin with...). This nearly got me into a few fender-benders on the Mass Pike this past weekend.
    Third, although my dealer says that this behavior on my car is normal, I refuse to believe them. I am talking about the excessive rollback my car does on hills. It has done this since day one. My dealer says that it is normal and nothing can be done about it. However, I refuse to believe that rolling back 4-8 feet on a hill is "normal" behavior for a $38,000 luxury car. I may end up taking my car to an independent repair shop if Volvo does not do anything about this.
    Fourth, I saw a post on here about someone having similar tachometer jumping problems. He said that his dealer replaced the Air Mass Meter under warranty and that he has not had the problem since. Should I mention to my dealer what I read and to see if they could look at this part?
    I don't want to give the impression that I hate this car. I really love it. I love its style, its handling, and its overall performance. However, when problems like these happen on a $38,000 car, one begins to wonder...

Mike
  • bhtonguebhtongue Member Posts: 4
    Well written analysis. I'm a touch curious as to why you're writing off RWD. In the "old" days I would understand the sentiment but with electronic stability control the issue of stablility on ice or snow changes a great deal. I've driven a couple of BMWs on extremely slick surfaces and, when the stability program is active it acts as if it's on a dry surface. Turn it off under the same conditions and you'd spin. On and no problem. I know many people that drive rear wheel drive with snows and seem quite pleased with them.
    BHT
    Nice analysis. For me, safety wins out, however. The S80 has been crash tested for frontal offset (Insur Inst for Highway Safety), Frontal and Side impact (Natl Hwy Traffic Safety Admin). On each test, the S80 recd the highest ranking. The Acura has only been tested for frontal, and recd the next highest ranking. Pretty good, but digging into the data behind the ranking, the probability of head or chest injury is a multiple of the Volvo probability.

I am ordering an S80 shortly, and was told to get a 2001 (the 3rd model yr of production) as the 2000 had a number of problems that appear to have been fixed with 2001.

I have decided on everything, except whether to go T6 or 2.9. Any thoughts on turbo vs no turbo would be appreciated. Cheaper is good. Less potential mechanical problem is also good. But the 2.9 feels a little sluggish compared to the lighter car I currently drive (I am not a lead foot either). But since my son will begin driving in a few years (and will likely drive this car some), not getting a turbo may be the smartest safety decision I could make.
  • krv03krv03 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the nice reaction to my post. The only conferences that displayed "road rage on the internet" were the Cadillac folks, but should I have expected anything different?

My response to your 2.9 or T-6 decision is, as I mentioned, the 2.9 engine. Unless you're the guy who blasts past me from traffic lights only to look at me sitting behind/beside him at the next light, then the 2.9 is plenty--especially with your son now driving. The roads are too dangerous.

Incidentally, my wife's final vote was the 2.9 S80, but even though Al Gore might not understand this, my vote counted more!!!
  • ianrosdaleianrosdale Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,

Would you like to have a place where you can talk about your 80-series Volvo? This message is for all Volvo owners, Volvo enthusiasts, prospective Volvo owners, or car enthusiasts in general. The best Volvo enthusiast site has just opened up on the internet, and we need your participation. Building a great Volvo community is what this site is all about. This site includes the 40 series, 60 series, 70 series, 80 series, 200 series, 700 series, 800 series, 900/90 series, and all other Volvo models throughout the years. This new site will only be great if it has a lot of people using and visiting it. Please register and become one of the first to be a part of the newest, best Volvo enthusiast site on the internet. This new site is called SwedeSpeed! I hope to see you there! Please visit us at:

www.SwedeSpeed.com

-Ian Rosdale
  • larry_alanlarry_alan Member Posts: 1
    While I can't speak for Volvo's customer service, so far I've been extremely fortunate with my Volvo. While I don't own an S80 (I've owned a '01 V70 which I've had since May), this car shares the same platform as the S80.

For what it's worth, reponding to item #512... safety is what also won out for my wife and I. Volvo's quality track-record has traditionally been strong. The problems facing the '99 and '00 S80 were an issue for us, but we felt that our safety was more of a priority. Luckily I haven't experienced the issues that some have already written in their comments above. For us, we'll continue to enjoy the comfort, performance and utility of our V70 T5 as it safely transports us around the US.

I also came across a safety story the other day that I thought might be of interest re: the '01 S80. While the story is from the (Australian) Sydney Morning Herald, the information still appears applicable here...

"Volvo's S80 has romped crash tests on both sides
    of the Atlantic, prompting the Swedish car builder
    to boast that its sexier new cars are among the
    safest in the world. According to Volvo, the S80 the first car in the world to get top results in
    both European and American independent crash tests carried out by the three independent test institutes, Euro-NCAP, US-NCAP and IIHS (Insurance
    Institute of Highway Safety).

The ongoing NCAP tests are part of the consumer
    information provided by NHTSA, the American traffic safety authority. The cars tested are evaluated in both a frontal crash test and in a side impact test.

The S80 last year became the first car in the
    world to score full points for both the driver and
    passengers in side-impact tests. Further frontal impact tests last month saw the S80 again
    score the five-star top rating.

The car previously had been awarded the highest
    possible ranking in the American Insurance
    Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) frontal impact
    test, "Best Pick", and top marks in the European
    NCAP tests which involves both a frontal offset
    crash and side-impact tests against both a dummy
    car and a lamp post.

Understandably, Volvo is pleased. And it is
    especially pleased that it has maintained its
    safety mantle despite its much-vaunted trend
    towards building sexier-looking cars.

"Here we have a number of different tests, carried
    out by three mutually independent organisations,
    all coming to the very same conclusion, says
    Christer Gustafsson, safety expert at Volvo Car
    Corporation. "As a company policy, we do not
    generally draw attention to top results in
    individual tests since we do not feel that a single test is sufficient to assess a car model's overall safety level, but this clearly shows that the Volvo S80 has a safety level of absolute world
    class.

Mr Gustafsson said the S80 was in fact safer than
    the tests suggested. "The tests only cover some of
    the situations that the Volvo S80 is designed to
    withstand," he said. "Nor do the tests rate the
    multitude of advanced systems found in the car, for example the WHIPS whiplash-protection system."

Volvo also is crowing about the fact that its new
    S60 sedan has been awarded the the Golden Steering
    Wheel 2000 in a ceremony in Berlin. The S60 is the
    25th winner of the award, made by an international
    jury of motorsport representatives and car experts, who test each entrants for two days and evaluate them for road performance, fuel consumption and environmental aspects, design, interior, engine, driving comfort, space and cost effectiveness."
  • jek6jek6 Member Posts: 1
    Re the folks looking for price guidance, you should now be able to pay a reasonable profit to a Volvo dealer similar to any other nearLux car; don't pay more.

To the folks examining quality ratings: I too have had minimal problems with my 2000 S80 T6 and would HIGHLY recommend it, even with a bug here or there. I like it more every day.
  • moon_towermoon_tower Member Posts: 2
    We finally got our T-6 back from the dealer. Apparently the shiftlock solenoid burnt up (that was their term). I'm assuming this is the one that ensures that you have your foot on the brake before you shift. It melted the shifting linkage which made the stick unable to come out of park. They replaced the whole assembly.
  • sas7sas7 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering leasing the '01 S80 T6 (with sunroof, security package and dolby surround). Can anyone tell me what kind of deals they've been getting on these (e.g., 3 year lease, 12K miles per year, no money down)?

Also, I've read posts regarding the wood/leather steering wheel option. The dealer I visited advised that such an option does not exist. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
  • jarchjarch Member Posts: 16
    The wood/leather steering wheel option *does* exist (at least as of 2000 model year cars), but it is typically a factory order option(most US cars don't come equipped with it). I almost ordered it with my car (2000 S80) but decided against it only because I was a bit worried about it getting too hot to touch in warm weather...
  • caintuckeecaintuckee Member Posts: 3
    I own a MY2000 S80 T6. Has anyone noticed a pulsing of the engine during a normal acceleration. It is a very noticeable sensation. I get three or four strong pulses when getting it up to speed. The turbo was not even engaged. I appreciate any feedback anyone might have.
    Not sure what you mean by "turbo was not engaged". If you've got a T-6, it's working at 1500+ RPM. It will create power surges from time to time through the power curve but I accept this as normal behavior of this car as it is consistent with other turbos I've driven.
  • danharklessdanharkless Member Posts: 1
    Howdy. I got my 2001 S80 2.9 this weekend (on Volvo's 3-year lease special), and when I was signing the paperwork, the finance guy wanted to know if I wanted to purchase any "value-added" items, like LoJack or "Finishing Touch" sealant. Now, I'm pretty up-to-speed on LoJack, and I'm definitely considering getting it. The only snag there is that LoJack's web site says the MSRP on their "System 1" is $595, and my dealer charges $695 (or $650 on sale during December). The dealer claims their cost is $595, but I wonder...

In any case, my real question is about the "Finishing Touch" protectant, which next to the LoJack I know almost nothing about. The dealer's flyer has this to say on it:

Finishing Touch- Fuse Polymers and Teflon
    right into your new vehicles [sic.] paint. No more worries about
    Oxidation, Bird Droppings, Tree Sap, or Waxing.
    Forget about the Coffee or Soft Drink Stains in your brand
    new interior. 100% Refund if you trade in your
    car to Volvo of Orange County.
    .........................$395.00
    The coating is on sale for $325 during December. Now, on the surface, this stuff certainly smacks of the stereotypical "undercoating" (as seen in "Fargo") whose only real purpose is to increase the dealer's profits. The fact that they refund your money if you trade the car in, though (which I'm told includes bringing a lease vehicle back and getting a new one) kind of makes it sound like the dealer really wants the stuff on your car. Also, my sales advisor said he had it on his two Volvos, for whatever that's worth.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about this stuff? Does it really work? I sometimes get so busy that I don't get a chance to get bird droppings off the paint right away, so if this stuff really protects the paint from being damaged in that situation, it'd be valuable to me (though I dunno if it's worth $325). The stuff is either a product of or is distributed by Southwest Dealer Services, Inc., but there's no additional info on their website.

The only information I was able to find on the web or on Usenet was a thread entitled "Question: Finishing Touch Coating" on alt.autos.corvette. The four respondents all recommended against it, but it was clear that most or all of them didn't know anything about this particular product and were just making a knee-jerk reaction. Also, they said that instead, you should apply a wax-based product yourself every couple of months or so. I have neither time nor desire to wash and wax my car myself, so their advice may not be of any use from my perspective.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions?
    Three-hundred twenty-five red flags against that finishing touch. Did they ask you about underbody coating too? Did they offer PMI? God, you should hate any finance guy still in business doing that garbage.

Don't fall for it. Dealer is looking for high-profit add-on's and they're usually worth about 1/10th of what was paid, if there's any value at all. Lojack is an exception and you'll have to make a judgement call on that yourself for value vs. expense, but if you're not sure about pricing games, get a 2nd price! I'm in Dallas and it's available, but I don't know a lot of people with it here and car theft, at least in my little corner of DFW, isn't a huge problem.

Anyway, it's been widely recounted here to DO NOT APPLY ANY WAX OR SEALANTS FOR FIRST SIX MONTHS OF OWNERSHIP for unspecific reasons having to do with curing of paint. Personal recommendation is to (a) find a hand-wash near you that does $99 detailing or a mobile detailer and do that once every 3 months for a wax or every 6 months with a poly seal, or (b) find an hour or two every six months to do it yourself. I do the poly seal myself, recommend Meguiar's, order on the web, I have purchased from Autopia.

Try to get the bird poop off ASAP always. There are spray misters out there that you can keep in the trunk that will do the trick if you can't get to a garden hose fast enough. If you're driving a dark color, you probably can't get it off fast enough anyway.

Best of luck to you!
  • caintuckeecaintuckee Member Posts: 3
    DFWT6,I have had my S80 T6 for over a year now. The sensation I feel is new. I am certain it is not the turbo causing the pulsing. My point about the turbo not being engaged was to indicate that it was occuring during a mild acceleration.
  • snarmansnarman Member Posts: 4
    JUST PURCHASED A DEMO 2000T6 WITH 6000 MILES LAST WEEK. THE CAR IS IN THE DEALER NOW BECAUSE THE DSTC SERVICE REQUIRED LIGHT CAME ON. ALSO NOTICED THAT WATER WAS INSIDE THE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY. THE DEALER SAID IT WAS A VOLVO DESIGN FLAW AND IS ORDERING SOME TYPE OF "SHIELD"HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?THE DEALER HAS BEEN SUPER TODAY AND GAVE ME A LOANER IMMEDIATELY.
  • jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    expect to pay over invoice on a '01 S80? I've never had or dealt with Volvo before so I'm not familiar with their service.

Also, what about lease deals?

Thanks!!!
  • flowerpotsflowerpots Member Posts: 2
    Haven't logged on for quite some time so please forgive me if this query is repetitive.

I have now owned my S80 T6 for over a year; the car has 6,500 gently driven miles on it. I still adore it but it has experienced many of the relatively minor problems mentioned by other owners when I began reading the posts over a year ago.

Before I bring my car in for service, can someone please tell me what the problem might be since I know some of you have experienced the same thing: Usually when turning, I feel a "clunk" coming from the driver's side front wheel area.

(I think my service department tends to smirk when a woman describes a problem this way, and they claim never to have heard of the static problem experienced on my stereo system's Dolby setting either. I was apoplectic when the owner of the dealership patiently explained to me in the most condescending way possible that Dolby systems are supposed to lessen noise, not increase it. DUH! He also claimed not to hear anything!) Please help before I give up and switch to another dealership for service.
    Regarding post #495:

flowerpots, are you kidding? I would switch dealerships in a heartbeat if I were in your position!

The clunk noise you referred to is well documented and is related to some front-end suspension issue(s). I'm not 100% sure if it is a need for a bushing fix (there's a Tech Service Bulletin for it - actually several successive ones) or the ball joint replacement which is an actual recall item. The ball joint recall occurred after Volvo went through a couple of iterations on improved bushings to eliminate the noise but I don't know if both are required to eliminate the noise or just the ball joint replacement. Either way, ANY competent dealership will well aware of this issue.

Regarding the Dolby static that occurs only when you play a CD with the Dolby Prologic engaged - it is hard to catch. It tends to happen very sporadically but it is usually consistent about where it happens with a particular CD track. It seems that those who have encountered this issue have been issued factory refreshed head units that have eliminated the issue. I had this problem about a year ago but couldn't duplicate it consistently for a dealer. As it happens, I (or someone) broke a button on my radio earlier this year and ever since the head unit was replaced the static problem disappeared as well.

Back, to my first thought: you experience with your dealer will make or break your satisfaction with your car. Given what you have experienced already I would run, not walk, to another dealer if it is an option. Call them ahead of time and tell them of the customer disservice you were given at the other dealer and they should welcome you with open arms since service is how dealers make most of their money.

Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • flowerpotsflowerpots Member Posts: 2
    Rollie, thanks for your advice. Believe it or not, the clunking began right after I had the ball joint replacement per the Tech Service Bulletin! Could they have screwed it up or is it more likely to be the bushing? Interestingly, the manager of the Service Dept. phoned me two days after the replacement to ask if the car was running o.k., which in retrospect leads me to believe there may have been other complaints. At the time of his call I hadn't yet detected the clunking.

As for the maddening CD-Dolby static experience, I agree that it happens only sporadically and usually during the same CD tracks, which nearly had me convinced that it was a CD defect and not my stereo system. But it was happening loud and clear when I was playing my CD for the owner of my dealership, and he claimed he couldn't hear it! And to add insult to injury, both he and the Service Manager promised to investigate other reports of this problem with "Headquarters", but neither of them called me back. Definitely time to switch!
  • neil2212neil2212 Member Posts: 16
    flowerpots,

I did not experience the clunk until after the ball joint replacement was performed either. Apparently the area that they work on for the ball joint involves the same mechanical items as the clunking issue. The service technician indicated that the ball joint service (a couple of months ago) likely brought on the clunk. I've since had the clunk fix incorporated, and not heard the clunk since. Neil
  • kjewelkjewel Member Posts: 19
    20k on my T6. All is relatively well.

Very cold in Atlanta for 2 weeks. I have noticed some suspension squeaking (front end) when car is slowing (on and off the brakes - like a rocking motion). Doesn't appear to from the shocks. Anybody experience this in cold climates? A bit of WD40, perhaps, in the right location?
  • jarchjarch Member Posts: 16
    snarman - I have a 2000 T6 with DSTC as well. In the past month, the service indicator light has come on along with the service message "DSTC Service Required" - four times in fact. It always goes away by simply restarting the engine. Did your problem get resolved? If so, what did the dealer do to correct it? My dealer here in Southern Calif just said 'duh - don't know what to make of it'...

Thanks in advance.
  • revitupsterrevitupster Member Posts: 2
    I just got home from the dealership with my brand new 2001 S80 T6 and noticed that there is moisture on the inside of the headlight assembly on both sides. I have scanned the previous posts, but there are just SO many. Can anyone tell me if this is normal and will take care of itself, or if I need to head back to the dealer?

I would also like to mention how very helpful this site and your comments have been. I began thinking about a Volvo or Saab more than a year ago, but wanted to wait until I could get out from owing more than the worth of my 97 LeSabre. The 99 reviews scared me away from the Volvo at first. Saab wouldn't negotiate on trade in. Autobytel hooked me up with a Volvo dealership and the 01's, based upon what I am reading, have had the problems cleared up. I was prepared to purchase the 2.9, primarily based upon the reviews posted here. I test drove the 2.9 first, then the T6, and the difference was extraordinary when passing cars on the freeway. Additionally, my wife won't drive a manual transmission, and the Geartronic gives me at least of sense of more involvement in driving the car. On the whole, I didn't feel that the handling was compromised. After purchasing the car and driving it home, I can say that it handles as well as and is as comfortable as my father's Lexus 400. All this and the epitome of safety to boot!

Thanks for your help in all of this.