Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S80

Comments

• jarchjarch Member Posts: 16
    revitupster - when I first got my T6 a year ago, I had the same (similar) problem with moisture / condensation in the headlight assembly after bringing home my new T6 home (2000 T6). I shortly found out that from this site that this is a relatively common phenomenon on new S80 vehicles ... it simply disappeared on its own after a week or so. It has not returned since.

Enjoy your new wheels!
  • flyfishing47flyfishing47 Member Posts: 7
    I own a '99 T6 that's almost two years old and I also experienced the moisture in the headlights that went away after a day or two.
  • neil2212neil2212 Member Posts: 16
    As I posted here a couple of weeks ago, I too experienced the DSTC Service Message. Mine occurred the next day after "exercising" the DSTC system. The message has not returned since, but I'd like to know also if I should do something about the reported fault. Thanks in advance to any/all who comment.
  • jagman20jagman20 Member Posts: 3
  • jagman20jagman20 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for the blank message!!
    We leave next Saturday to pick up our 01 S80 T6 in Gothenburg on Monday the 15th. Staying at Hotel Gothia. Any of you TDS veterans have any thoughts on shopping (not my idea of fun!)restaurants etc?
  • revitupsterrevitupster Member Posts: 2
    My son noticed a patch of small bubbles in the paint under the clearcoat on our new S80. The surface is smooth and I don't see any metal under the defect. I'm inclined to live with the problem rather than have it fixed because I'm concerned the fix may be worse than the defect. Any opinions or suggestions? Thanks.
  • snarmansnarman Member Posts: 4
    the service soon light appeared on my "new"2000 t6.after the dealer had the car for 4 days(I"I not complaining) he discovered a faulty abs sensor. all is better now.
    water in the headlights is a design flaw by volvo.my dealer has ordered "shields" from Volvo to correct this problem.i"ll keep all informed once this is fixed.
  • snarmansnarman Member Posts: 4
    got a copy of my work order and this is what it says
    "hooked to vadis pulled codes abs-00A2 & abs-00A3.replaced central accel.sensor and per techline mark abs control module."
    hope this additional info helps!
  • dougf2dougf2 Member Posts: 21
    I was surprised to notice my driver side headlight with a major crack in it.

I was astonished to find out the part assembly to replace it is $300 and to do the work will involve removing the front bumper and 3 hours of work!
  • pmvipmvi Member Posts: 63
    Does anyone know of a good service dept. in L.A. County? Also, please advise if there are any that you would avoid. I have ordered an S60 T5 through European Delivery (I didn't go through a local dealer), and want to start off on the right foot. Most conveniently located dealers to me would be 1. Studio City, 2. Santa Monica, 3. WestSide Volvo.

I will be picking up my car in a couple months, and am a bit nervous about Volvo reliability. I do love the S60 and S80 though.

Thanks!
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #510:

dougf2, I don't know if it's accurate, but I did see a post recently where a person was claiming it cost them $1,200 for replacement of a headlight assembly on their BMW (I'm guessing it must have been a HID lamp). $300+ is bad but I suspect it's not out of line compared to the rest of the European sedans. Of course none of these cars are going to compare to say a Ford Taurus when it comes to parts.

Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com

p.. - I just had to buy a new fog light assembly for my S80 since mine got cracked. It cost $82 which wasn't cheap but I don't think is that bad either.
  • dougf2dougf2 Member Posts: 21
    Rollie, thanks for the insight (and making me feel a little better). I guess I am used to domestic part prices. However, service will charge me at least $200 for 3 hours of labor bringing the total to $500+ (I didn't clarify that well earlier). And to think I passed up a Taurus!

Related, I see on ebay xenon or hid headlamps advertised for the S80 (cheap - like $40 for a pair). I look at the seller's complaint log and don't see too many people with problems. Anyone replaced their headlights with these? Then again, they might be difficult to install.
  • caintuckeecaintuckee Member Posts: 3
    Regarding Post #501

I had the moisture in both headlights of my MY2000 S80 T6. There is a service bulletin for this issue. I do not have it at hand. While it may go away on its own, it did not on mine. The dealer should be able to find the fix readily. This issue was disscussed late in Part Two or early in Part Three of this Edmund's Volvo S80 topic. Since the "fix", it has not returned.
    Regarding post #513:
    dougf2, those bulbs you saw on eBAY are xenon filled regular bulbs. They are essentially halogen design bulbs that use xenon (or another noble gas). SOME like them over regular halogen bulbs but they are a far cry from actual HID lamps. If you see after market HID lamps advertised for an S80 anywhere please let me know. Also, if you ever see HID lamps in the near future with a price tag that doesn't include a comma you should stay away from them (either they're not HIDS or if they come in just under $1k they are HIDS without the self-leveling feature).

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • jack130jack130 Member Posts: 9
    I’ve read and appreciated several hundred posts on this forum. Now I’d like to comment on our recent purchase experience in hopes I can help someone else. I apologize if it’s a bit long. As background, we bought new a ’72 164E which we sold when we bought new an ’87 760 turbo so I’m familiar with those Volvo models and with the service at our local dealer. We put aprx 150K miles on each.

Last July we ordered through the dealer and Volvo NA a 2001 S80 T6 in Ash Gold Pearl, Light Sand upholstery and these options: DSTC, Visco differential, HU0801 audio, leveling system, cold weather system, security system, wheel nut locks. We considered, but didn’t select, a sunroof (we hardly used the one we had in the ’87) and nav system (decided against because of cost and the rationale that over 95 percent of our driving is in areas where we already know our way around.

Predisposed to Volvo we still looked at several cars, especially the M-B E430 which we decided against because of perceived cost/value, the non-negotiable price at the dealer (owned by same guy who owns the Volvo dealership) and the fact that M-B OSD pricing is identical with US MSRP. Not so with Volvo.

After a lot of time on-line we visited three Seattle area dealers and settled on our local (Bellevue) dealer because we feel we’ve received good treatment from their service department for the last several years and because they were willing to make some concessions from OSD pricing: They knocked $ 500 off and threw in headlamp covers and rear mud flaps (both of which I asked for) as well as the one-touch remote configuration which I’d become aware of on this forum. I also had the salesman include in the order a statement that we would be eligible for any Volvo or VNA rebate up to actual delivery date.

Total agreed price not including tax or license: $ 40,865. As I posted here a couple of months back, VNA was providing an $ 800 rebate for those placing an OSD order NLT June 25th. Because I followed up on this aspect our order was amended to reflect the rebate. However (a big however), it took numerous phone calls and emails and five months before we received an $ 800 check from VNA. In fact, almost all my phone calls were not returned. Lasse Magnuson is the new OSD manager at VNA. I called him regular long distance because I couldn't get a live person on the 800 number. When I finally spoke with him he apologized and promised that the check would be processed. It still took several weeks after that telecon. A side point: We didn’t want to drive the car in Europe but did want to visit the factory and sign for the car there. When we placed the order I was adamant about not paying for insurance we wouldn’t use and after some conversations with VNA and emails back and forth to Sweden a VNA "customer service" rep rudely and arbitrarily changed the order to US dealer delivery. We still received OSD pricing. I don’t really want to believe it, but because of the incredible delay in processing our rebate I have some feeling that VNA personnel wanted to stiff me because I went around them to Volvo, Sweden. I really hope I’m wrong and that it was simply Volvo NA’s incompetence which caused the delay. I’m also disappointed that our dealer didn’t pursue this matter for us. Anyway, final net price paid was $ 40,065.

The car arrived at our dealer in early October but because of family circumstances my wife and I left town two days later and returned in late November. We’ve just turned 1,100 miles and while it’s early for valid generalizations or specific comments the car is just fine. The T6 is roomier and more luxurious than our old 760 turbo and although it’s heavier it seems a bit zippier. Perhaps it’s just a smoother zippiness, if that makes sense. I assume this is due to two additional cylinders and a good many more horses. I agree with comments made about poor audio ergonomics and poor rear visibility. The automatic dimming feature in the rear view mirror is nice, but it dims at times that I wouldn’t do it manually. I especially like the Homelink feature which enables garage door opening by pushing a button on the visor. The sound system is great whether the Beatles, Johnny Cash or Rachmaninov’s Piano Concerto No. 2. During these overcast winter days it’s difficult to distinguish between our Ash Gold Pearl and the Moondust Metallic S80s we sometimes see.

Haven’t noticed much in the way of torque but I haven’t really floored it. Mileage seems OK thus far. I’ve just started to experiment with the Geartronic system and rather like it. Waiting for ice and snow to see how Winter mode, DSTC, FWD and Geartronic facilitate that kind of driving.

The trunk has a bit less cubic space than the 760 but is nicely laid out except for the smaller opening. The lid does open to 90 degrees, which is nice, but I don’t think I can put some of the larger boxes and "stuff" that I used to be able to put in the 760. I definitely like the folding, split rear seats, however.

We purchased cocoa-fibre front and rear floor mats from Coco-Mats (http://www.cocomats.com/index.htm) . They’re very well made and come in a variety of colors and patterns, more than shown on the web site. I recommend them.

Hope this is of interest. Thanks to all y’all whose posts helped make our purchasing decisions a bit better informed.
  • pmvipmvi Member Posts: 63
    The insurance isn't a Volvo policy...it's a Swedish law. I recently ordered a S60 T5, and I kept asking about the insurance since I didn't plan on driving the car (I read that you don't have a choice), but the dealer said not to worry. After I placed the order, the dealer found out that he was wrong, but since I already had it in writing that there would be no charge--I didn't have to pay it (approx $350).

Jack130: I would say you got an exceptional deal if your dealer took off $500 and threw in a few items. Who ate the insurance charge? Also, are you usually a tough customer to please?
  • jack130jack130 Member Posts: 9
    Ref #516 and #517. Volvo NA told me originally that the insurance requirement is per Swedish government requirements. However, the second and third emails I received from Volvo, Sweden indcate that it's company policy, not a government requirement.

I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm a "tough customer to please" but we buy a car so infrequently that I make a really big deal out of it, determine exactly what we want and then pay as little as we can. I'm definitely pleased with the car and OSD pricing but not Volvo NA.
  • bfannbfann Member Posts: 8
    has anyone experienced problems with their AM radio reception? i have had an antenna replaced, everything cleaned etc etc and still after about a month, the problem is back. lots of static and almost a pulsing noise. can't seem to get this one fixed and it is the only annoying thing about this car.

thanks
  • bucky1bucky1 Member Posts: 20
    bfann - I suffered with this same problem for over 2 years on my 1999 s80 2.9. Took it back to my dealer at least 10 times with only marginal improvements. The last and final fix was that they replaced the AM antenna amplifier which is located on the driver's side at the rear window pillar. My AM reception is now very satisfactory. I have also read of others who have had success with this fix. This is covered by your warranty. Good Luck!
  • miker10miker10 Member Posts: 5
    i remember reading here some time ago that the
    door locks could be reprogrammed such that the
    first hit on the remote opens all four, rather
    than having to give the remote a second hit. i
    can't find the reference. does anyone here
    have the details on how this is accomplished?
    thanks!

mike
    miker10 - To change the passenger door locks program from two hits on the remote to just one hit requires a software download from your friendly Volvo dealer.
    bucky1 - thanks. i figured that was the case.
    i made an appt with my dealer for some other
    items this morning and when i mentioned that
    i wanted this change, the service rep seemed
    unsure it could be done. he thought it was a
    hardware change, and i suggested it was a software
    change. i was hoping to get some more specific
    details here in case i have problems getting
    the change made.
  • julian8julian8 Member Posts: 1
    Ever since I bought my 2000 T6, I had a "knocking" on the steering column when accelerating from standstill. Many trips to different dealers finally yielded the following:
    I was told that "the steering column has a design defect and there is no fix yet.".

My car also was recalled about some clamp in the front drivetrain, and I had to bring it in because the steering was making a horrible noise (turns out it was some other losened clamp.

The "knocking" annoys the hell out of me. This is my family's 5th volvo and my LAST one forever. I feel the Volvo quality is gone. I am getting rid of it and buying an AUDI. Too bad, I loved Volvos...
  • pvsicklepvsickle Member Posts: 1
    My S80 T6 has 11500 miles. Volvo has replaced my drive train from the block to the wheels due to clicking & play when transferring torque from forward to rev / rev to forward I also had a broken motor mount. I have not slipped the car in gear at high revs nor have I smoked the tires. What's the deal. Is the Volvo drive train under designed for the T6 engine or was I the unlucky purchaser of the "out-of-tolerance" parts?

Paul
  • dsm4dsm4 Member Posts: 2
    Miker10:

Yes it is a software download to change the S80 so that one press of the unlock button on the key fob unlocks all four doors.

The Volvo technicians do not seem to very well informed about what software options exist for the S80.

Here is the magic number that will enable them to locate the one-step unlock software patch.

Part # 9499636 0 ONE STEP OPENING

My dealer charged by $20 for the software and 0.30 hours labor ($27.90) for the down load.

If anyone knows where there is a list of all possible software upgrades please let us know.

Good luck.

David

PS I have 25,000 miles on my one year old Nautic Blue T6 and have loved every mile. Great car.
    dsm4 - thanks! that's the info i was looking
    for. i would also be interested in what other
    options are available.

mike
  • jdh701jdh701 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my T6 back from the dealer in Minneapolis and the click (or clicks) on acceleration is gone! I think this is the same problem referred to as a knock by others (Julian8). I've had the dealer try multiple times to correct the problem (over about 9 months) with no success until they got the regional rep (finally) to take a look at it. My wife picked the car up, so I don't know the specifics about what was wrong, but it's apparently a relatively small job. Incidentally, I noticed the same problem on the brand new 2001 loaner (25 miles) that I drove while the T6 was in the shop, so I think it's not an uncommon problem. The dealership was honest about working things out and great about causing the least inconvenience to me.
  • 55dodge55dodge Member Posts: 1
    S80 has great side-impact safety; see IIHS test w/pickup, better than BMW X5. S80 owners, have your problems been fixed and stayed fixed? I have read the problem postings here and would like to buy this safe car used if its initial troubles have been or, by your experience, can be fixed. I have read all the crash tests and S80 safety cannot be had at any price; is S80 reliable after the initial hassles? Thanks.
  • volvoconvertvolvoconvert Member Posts: 3
    I have 19,000 miles on my 2000 S80. I have yet to have a single problem with this car. I've driven Mercedes, Peugeot, and other cars, but have never had a more reliable, or safer, or more comfortable, or fun-to-drive car, than the S80.
  • javaseajavasea Member Posts: 11
    Don't buy a 99 at all. If a 2000, try to get the last one built. Better yet, get a 2001. Too many bugs in the 99. I have a 2000 2.9 with no extras, fewer things to go wrong. I have have really good luck with this so far after 12,000 miles. It was an overseas purchase, and saved about $5,000. We got the s80 because my son will start driving in about 6 years and we wanted the most safety we could afford. Although we, and most other s80 owners have had few problems, I am waiting another year or so before buying a v70. Perhaps the most important thing about buying a new s80, is the dealer. If you live in an area with several dealers, you have a better chance of getting good service. Hope this helps.
  • twindytwindy Member Posts: 18
    Please post back the fix. Several others have had this problem. One owner had his car in for over three weeks. They finally took the steering column apart, removed the grease, and replaced it with a teflon type coating. My dealer did the o.-ring fix, clunk went away for a few days but then came back - but not as noticeable. This dealer balks at taking the grease out, etc., because they feel it may be just covering up something. If you could post back the fix and perhaps the dealer name and tech that worked on your car, it could be helpful to others.
    Thanks!
    I have an early build 1990 S80 2.9 (delivered in October 1998) with 26,500 miles now on the odometer. I am on a week long sales trip right now and have put on over 1,300 miles in the last 3 days. I have an additional 1,200 more miles to go in the next 3 days. I have had no (I restate, absolutely NO) problems with this car except for a poor AM radio reception problem from the time of delivery. The AM antenna amplifier was finally replaced and my reception is now great! This is hardly a complaint worth mentioning as it does not relate to anything mechanical. While I hate these long days of driving, the seats are so comfortable, and the ride so smooth, that I can go for hours and hours on end. This is my 4th Volvo, and it is the best one I have ever owned, in every respect. It's a real bargain for the price when compared to the European competition.
  • broeuxbroeux Member Posts: 46
    This information was found on a forum in June 1999 - accuracy is not guaranteed (and I don't fully understand some of it!); confirm with dealer

EM (Central Electronic Module)
    1. Seat temp: Celsius or Fahrenheit, from 32 degrees to 109.4 (I

2. Courtesy and “approach” lights and “safe home” (“follow-me-home”lights): 0, 30, 60, 90 seconds

3. Daytime Running Lights
    a) Dipped lights on all positions except park (default),
    I) Off, park, dipped on

I) dipped on all three positions.

Note: In Canada daytime running lights must be on.

DIM (Drivers Information Module)
    1. CM or Miles

2. Conditions for the service reminder light (SOL)
    Distance: 2500,5000,7500(default),10000 Service Time: 6,12 (default), 18, 24 Months
    Engine Hours: 500, 750 (default), 1000 Hours.

3. Instrument Display: leading zeros, or set for hidden.

4. Temperature Unit: select Celsius or Fahrenheit

5. Trip Computer: Gallons, Liters, BB gallons

6. 12 or 24 Hour clock

EM (Upper Electronic Module)

1. Time for courtesy Lighting - Door Lock or engine switched off 0-255 seconds (15sec intervals) Time from door open to light off - 0-255 seconds.

2. Mirror dimming can be changed--requires software download.

Hope this helps.
    Broeux

This and lots of other useful information can be found on my new Club S80 International site:

http://clubs.lycos.com/live/Directory/CommunityHome.asp?CG=68aali2dfna1380n004cf293tg

• iwaldmaniwaldman Member Posts: 1
    Volvo and other car makers perplex me. In light of the dangers of driving while chatting, one would think that the car makers would make it easy to install a hands free kit. I currently have an S70 and had to install the attachment on the passenger side of the console and bend it around so it would face me from the top of the console. It worked ok, but now I'm in the market for an S80, and with a bigger center console, I'm not sure that placement makes sense. Any thoughts as to how any of you did it would be great.
  • lostgirllostgirl Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my S80 about two months ago and I hate not having a compass. I have purchased four different ones from the local car bock store, but none of them will calibrate properly. Is it the electronics in my dash that are causing the problem? Has anyone been successful installing a compass in an S80? Or has someone got a better idea than those little $12 PEP BOYS compasses? I really appreciate the help!!!
  • lostgirllostgirl Member Posts: 2
    I know this sounds silly, but my S80 gets door dings. The slightest pressure on the door leaves a ding. I had the car only 3 days before I had a $615 body shop bill for two door dings. Okay, I know door dings happen, but I have two more, its only a month later and I have never had so many. I have had lots of cars, and I just don't get it. It seems like any tap leaves a dent in the doors. Am I nuts, or is this happening to anyone else?
  • derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    Yes, I've got door dings on my S80 as well, this is extremely annoying. I live in the Bay Area, CA(yes, where there are rolling blackouts....) and the body shops I've been to did an excellent job in removing the dings for $125 each panel/door. I am not sure if I am just unlucky or something, in the past 2 yrs that I've had my S80, there have been over 10 dings somewhere on my car, left and right. Besides the S80, I also have an Audi TT and I park both of them in exactly the same kind of spots(not really that tight) and I've never had any dings on my TT.

First of all, I think that the S80 is a pretty wide car and this may make dings inevitable when parking at tight spots and secondly, because of the shoulder shape of the S80, the doors are more vulnerable to dings than the older design. Just my 2 cents.

Other than that, I can't be happier with my S80 2.9 which has got just over 23000 miles on it.

Derek
  • jlfoxjlfox Member Posts: 14
    After some experimentation I was able to find a spot to (adhesive tape) mount a compass in my S80. It is on the top dash surface, centered over the instrument panel. Calibration was a bit tedious but my Wal-mart unlit (cheap) unit works fine. It will do a real spin while starting the car but then settles in and stays accurate. It took multiple iterations and very small adjustment increments to get it right. You must find both a N-S and E-W orientation parking spot and idle the engine while adjusting. I sure wish Volvo would build one in.
  • emachineemachine Member Posts: 17
    I too had the steering wheel clicks from a standstill, and metioned it to my dealer. Their fix was to "tighten " the steering wheel. Sorry, I don't know the technical name for what they did, but it solved the problem.
  • hans10hans10 Member Posts: 1
    Cross posted in "safest vehicle(s)"

Despite the sterling safety reputation of Volvos, I have discovered a disturbing fact...

I recently purchased a meter to check the electromagnetic field (EMF) levels in my house. I also used it to check my cars. A Plymouth Acclaim registers around 1 milligauss. My 2000 S80 registers 10-15 mG. Experts recommend avoiding exposure to more than 3 mG for extended periods of time. Unfortunately, I commute in the S80 for 3 hours a day.

I raised this concern with my dealer who reported it to his technical contacts at Volvo. Their reply was that my readings were correct and that this is the normal EMF level for the S80 and there was nothing that they can do.

Didn't the Swedes uncover the health links of exposure to EMF?

Doesn't Volvo contantly push their concern for people, the WHIPS system, the Inflatable Curtain, the Ozone eating radiator coating, etc. What about the EMF their exposing us to? The Swedish government seems to think there's a health risk here. Why is this ignored?

I haven't had the opportunity to check other cars in this category, but I am very concerned about this one. I sit in it for 3 hours a day!

I loved this car until I saw this. I chose it over others in its class primarily for the safety features (plus it looks great). Now I can't help but think that I'm sitting in a time bomb.

Any opinions? Comments?

Links to follow:

EMFacts Consultancy

Swedish MPR II guidelines

The Meter I Used:

AlphaLab's TriField Meter

Buy one from these guys, put it in your S80, set the scale to 0-100, you'll see it hover between 10 and 15 mG.

• barrysharpbarrysharp Member Posts: 10
    What were your EMF readings in and around your house?
    I quickly reviewed some of your refs, and I'm no expert in this matter. The refs at URL

http://www.tassie.net.au/emfacts/fact-sheet3.html

showed a sample of mGs for various electrical appliances as follows:

Sample of Magnetic Fields for Common Appliances (in milligauss units)

--------------------------------------------------

Appliance Distance from appliance

10 cm / 30 cm / 50 cm

Hair Dryer 185 10 4.6

Dishwasher 24 4.8 1.8

Iron 20 3 nil

Vacuum Cleaner 45 9 2.6

Photocopier 27 6 2.1

Colour TV 20 6.2 2.2

Computer monitor 4.9 2.1 0.6

Microwave Oven 120 24 12

Bedside clock radio 140 4.6 1.4

Juicer 700 2.3 0.9

Electric range 11.5 2.2 0.7

Washing machine 12.3 8.2 5.4

Sewing machine 23 3.5 1.2

Juicing machine 220 12.8 6.6

This data seems to indicate that distance from the appliance is important.

Where within or outside the S80 did you take measurements. I would suspect taking measurements in the seating area would be the place, right?

Also, your reading of 10 and 15mG seems quite low compared to the appliance readings for a distance of 10cm and somewhat high for the 30cm distance.

Interesting....

• scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    An Emission Service message was popping up on the display on my 2000 S80 T6.. 19K miles. Turns out is was an air flow sensor problem.. quickly fixed. An interesting point, and the reason for this post, is that the lead tech indicated "we've had problems with this part". I also noticed my gas mileage going down.. to under 20.. it's now up at 24+ where it was when new. Just FYI guys.
    Re: Msg #544

1. Where is this air flow sensor located?
    2. Was labor/parts covered under warranty?
    3. You say your normal mpg is around 24+. Hmmmmm, I've a MY2000 S80 T-6 which is driven around town 50% and freeway 50% and get not much better than 18mpg. On a good long freeway drive I get at most 29mpg. So does my 18 mpg around town indicate I've got a problem? Your 24mpg sounds impressive from my perspective.

Regards... Barry Sharp
  • broeuxbroeux Member Posts: 46
    Hans:

Here are some links to a lot of scientific data regarding electrical and electromagnetic fields:

http://www.mcw.edu/gcrc/cop/powerlines-cancer-FAQ/QandA.html#2

http://www.calpoly.edu/~dhafemei/background2.html

http://www.quackwatch.com/ghindex.html (scroll down and search for: EMF - then scroll down the page slightly to:

/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/emf.html, ( Sep 24 2000)

and under that click on: line 102

I am not overly concerned about the EMF levels in the S80.

Broeux

Club S80 International

http://clubs.lycos.com/live/Directory/CommunityHome.asp?CA=68aali2dfna1380n004cf293tg

• scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    Re: Msg #545

1. Where is this air flow sensor located?
    It's just outside the air cleaner housing.. to the left as you look from the front. It's in the "round" part exiting the air cleaner housing.. so I'm told as the mechanic pointed it out to me.

2. Was labor/parts covered under warranty?
    Yes, all covered under warranty.

3. You say your normal mpg is around 24+. Hmmmmm, I've a MY2000 S80 T-6 which is driven around town 50% and freeway 50% and get not much better than 18mpg. On a good long freeway drive I get at most 29mpg. So does my 18 mpg around town indicate I've got a problem? Your 24mpg sounds impressive from my perspective.

I can't tell you if you have a problem. My Emission light came on, so I took it in. I was noticing worse gas mileage (Around 18) but did not think there was be a problem. The mechanic did say they have seen problems in this area. Sorry I can't help much here.

Scott
  • jdh701jdh701 Member Posts: 2
    I suggest you have your dealership call the service department at Borton Volvo in Minneapolis if you suffer from the steering clicks on acceleration in the T6.
  • jsm7jsm7 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone aware of a good lease deal on an S80 2.9? Dealer today quoted me monthly payments of $725 to $825 for 36 months, depending on the down payment. This seems awfully high to me.
    Regarding post #549:

jsm7, RUN AWAY! I haven't check recently but I know I've seen S80 2.9 leases for $499 in the past and interest rates are lower now. Check the Sunday paper for the largest local city and you should be able to find much better rates than the quoted $725- $825.

Good luck.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • jeljel Member Posts: 2
    This is my second Volvo. First one an 850 GET
    with 130K+ miles now... still runs great.
    Bought the '99 S80 with all the hopes in the world
    that it would be as reliable. To date, this is
    what I have experienced:
    -Various bulbs blow all of the time at
    least every two months I am at the
    dealership getting new ones.
    -Bushing replaced (per notification).
    -THE BIG ONE. I am high mileage driver
    54K miles as of this date, recently
    had to go in for valves knocking
    severely. At first my service re
    advised I put synthetic motor oil
    in to see if it would stop knocking.
    Didn't feel comfortable with that answer,
    they did the 52K mile check-up and found
    a gasket around the hydraulic liters
    allowing air to get in with no oil
    getting to the liters! They also
    found a leak around the axle -ring
    gasket. All was repaired for around
    $2000.00, Volvo picked up all but $600.00
    because I was so close to my warranty
    just having expired.
    I am now afraid to keep my S80. Once an engine
    has been opened up all bets are off in my
    opinion and the next big repair is on me due to
    no warranty.

Has anyone else experienced any major problems?

I am trading for a nexus or ???? Any suggestions?

A Former Volvo Loyalist