Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura Legend

Comments

• siriusgirlsiriusgirl Member Posts: 23
    Yes, she has a great dad. Unfortunately, when she gets ready to buy her first new car, unless you are a great RICH dad, she'll have the same trouble I had -- she won't be able to afford a new one that is equal to the Legend. It's very difficult to go backwards in quality. On the other hand, I suppose everyone should have such problems....
  • rloverlove Member Posts: 1
    I have read in several publications about Hondas
    & Acuras with fuel injection refusing to crank if
    left sitting in the hot sun for a few hours. The
    problem is caused by a faulty F1 main relay. The
    relay is located inside the car under the dash.
    It turns on the fuel pump and sometimes when it gets very hot inside the car it will malfunction.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    I know what you mean, but I hope that I can teach her (and me) to never buy a new car. The way they are built nowadays, it makes much more economic sense to buy a really good used car. Her Legend has 105,000 miles, and we anticipate an easy total of 200,000 and maybe 300,000.
  • fortunate2001fortunate2001 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 1995 LegendL, leather, 6-CD, automatic. (Everything else is standard).

I am selling it, but wonder what price to ask. I see prices from $14K to $17,500. It is in perfect running condition, still under BtoB warranty, and has 82000 miles.
    the only thing keeping it from being "mint" is scratches on the bumpers from parking lots (man I hate that), and some stone chips from highway driving.

Any advise on pricing the car would be appreciated.
    Well, here we are on Edmunds, where you can get all the pricing information you need. Go to the used car section and look up your Legend and they will appraise it for you instantaneously. You will get both the wholesale (tradein) value and the retail price, even adjusted for mileage. I would ask for retail, because then you have the ability to meet somewhere below that when the buyer offers the wholesale price. Something in between seems reasonable to me, since you are not a dealer. Good luck. Why are you selling such a nice car?
  • fortunate2001fortunate2001 Member Posts: 21
    Well, thanks, i did go to Edmunds. And kbb.com, and others. All these provide a good range. But I have gotten little response to ads, so was looking for a reality check from a human or two.

Why am I selling? Because one day I was in for an oil change and took a test ride in a 2000, and well, now I have two cars :)
  • xcarnutxcarnut Member Posts: 81
    To - siriusgirl and smithed - YOu both are so true about getting a used Legend and then getting use to the quality and luxury. We bought used '86 Legend and now that we need to get another its hard to go backwards. Hopefully we'll replace with the RL.
    Reliability it has been a good but at 146K it has been not troublefree like my Toyotas in the past and present. Every year in last 5 plus years has been spent in $800/yr is some form of repair or another above the usual maintenance.
  • mkklassenmkklassen Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a '90 Legend LS with 130,000. The car is in excellent condition, but it seams to have a problem when it should shift into 3rd gear. Some times it won't downshift when it should and other times it will rev for a few seconds and then ultimately shift into 3rd. Anybody have any ideas as to what may be wrong?
  • gsr99frankgsr99frank Member Posts: 4
    Did anyone else hear that Acura is supposed to
    reintroduce the "Legend" name badge for 2002? From
    what I've heard, The current outdated sluggish 3.5
    RL is supposed to be replaced by a sleek european
    styled V8 Legend. An 8 cyl. Honda engine? That
    rocks! The only bad thing that I've heard is the
    price tag may top $70,000 fully loaded. That's a
    bit steep for all of those Legend owners who
    haven't given up their 2nd generation Legends
    because there's still nothing out there like them.
    At least Acura's flagship can finally compete with
    the new LS430 and the Europeans. Now all they
    need is a Legend coupe!
  • slamar1slamar1 Member Posts: 3
    Still driving my 88 Legend L with 175,000 miles on it. Still can't seem to get rid of it even though we have a new 00 3.2 TL w/navi and new RX 300. Maybe our daughter will someday drive it. What a wonderful car. It sure did spoil us.
  • bujusgirlbujusgirl Member Posts: 1
    I was only 15 when i fell in love with a 1990 Legend and i swore my first car would be a legend. I'm now at the point of life where i absolutely need a car but i don't have much money (i have $4500) but i really want a legend (90 or 92 model). The mileage i've seen for 90 legends for that price is 140,000 or more. I know Legends are expensive to maintain and if it breaks down, i won't have the money to fix it. Since you guys own legends and have had it for a while i have a couple of questions to ask.
    1. After what amount of mileage do legends usually start giving you problems?
    2. WOuld you advise me to just let go of my dream legend and buy an affordable car or do you have faith in the beauty of legends.
    3. Is anyone trying to sell their legend?
  • anh2anh2 Member Posts: 1
    i've got an Accura Legend 94 without a cd player. I'd like to have one but i don't know what to put in. The stock one is a bose cassete and i wonder a alpine cd changer could work with this casette? Anyone knows how, please give me a suggestion.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    Check your manual to see if your head unit is up-gradable to adding a trunk-mounted CD changer. If so, the audio controls would be dual-purpose for the cassette and CD. Honda has a history of having their cars pre-wired for audio up-grades extra speakers, CD changer). The 1994 Legend may be one of those.

If not, there are a number of after-market audio units of the identical physical dimensions and which contain the tuner, cassette, and CD player (single-disc or changer).
  • rb5505rb5505 Member Posts: 1
    Go here for more info on cd changer for you Legend:

http://go.to/LEGENDtuner

and here for Legend talk:

http://forums.legend.org/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi
  • chenry4chenry4 Member Posts: 4
    I wouldn't let the dream fade...as to what to look for isn't so much in the car - Acura-s are wonderful cars, but as to who owned it, how it was driven (highway/city) and how was it maintained - regular oil/fluid changes are critical to longevity. If you can talk to the owner(s), then the only decision on a used one is if you can live with the color selection. Oh yeah, it's a good idea to spend a few hard earned bucks and have a qualified mechanic check it over thouroughly before buying.
  • bonehead1898bonehead1898 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 94 GS sedan with an air leak in the driver door somewhere. Not bad, but just bugs me when the BOSE isn't on. I know it's not the window seal, but sounds like the door seal. Any suggestions. Man I LOVE this car!
  • blofeld001blofeld001 Member Posts: 2
    Hello fellow Legend owners and enthusiasts! I recently found this page and decided to contribute. After looking for close to one year, I finally found my Legend (1994 GS). First of all, I want to say it was well worth the wait!! This is the type of car (as we all know) that was meant for driving - not just everyday driving, but to take out, put down the windows, and just drive - for the thrill of it! I found my Legend off the internet, as the previous (and only other) owners of the car e-mailed me several pictures of the car. The internet is a very powerful tool, and when I told my parents I found my car off the internet, they (at first) didn't believe me! But then when I told them the car was located over 150 miles away, they really saw the power!

Anyway, I bought this one owner car with 110,000 miles on it - the man had every receipt from day one, including gasoline receipts! Everything was done correctly on this, as the car has never been in an accident. So, I'm up in Sarasota, Florida (where the previous owners reside) and the guy tells me a little story about the car before he gives me the keys. Now, I've read that the GS only was offered in three colors: Black, Green, and White. He also mentioned this, but on the title, original bill of sale, etc., the color reads Silver. Now, the car definitly isn't silver, except when it rains - then you can see some silver highlights in it. Well, this fella tells me how he got this car - he claims when the GS model came out in 94, a new ad campaign to promote it featured this car - he saw the car in a magazine ad, went to his Acura dealership (in Michigan) and ordered one. When asked the color, he said the same one in the magazine ad, which was also featured in some of the brosures at the dealership. The dealer told him they don't offer that color, which Acura calls Silver. After waiting several weeks, the dealership secured (on special order) the car used in the ads, and this guy paid over $41,000 for it, plus special shipping from Japan. He claims it's the only Silver GS - I've looked all over, and I have seen the color on earlier models, but never a GS. If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know. Also, I've been trying to find out how many Legends were produced in 94 and 95 - total and just GS.

The car now has 112,000 miles on it, and resides in Florida - I've had to make a few modifications to it - the best thing I have found, is to buy a bra for the car - which covers the bumper and hood, and it covers up all the stone chips from the car sitting low up front. Well, time to go, but if anyone has any interesting information about the above, please share it!

Also, my e-mail address is: BPLIII@worldnet.att.net

Thanks,

Michael
  • thicks23thicks23 Member Posts: 42
    That's an awesome story! A silver Legend is rare indeed considering there is probably only a hand- full of them(including the earlier models)out there. What color is the interior? Silver on black would look really good. I'm not sure how many GS's were produced in '94 and '95 but about 70,000 Legends were sold in those years combined. I would guess that maybe 10,000(or 5,000 a year)at the most were GS models. I own a '91 so I know what great cars Legends are. I really hate that Lexus stole Acura's popularity.
    I'm not sure what else could cause the wind noise you describe besides worn rubber molding around the door opening. My '91 has the same air leak and I know it is caused by the rubber molding which has flattened out over time. It really doesn't bother me too bad since I drive around with the radio on almost all of the time.

Tom
  • qzbackqzback Member Posts: 7
    I have a 95GS that is cashmere. I've also seen them in black.
  • delaplanedelaplane Member Posts: 4
    Well, my wife and had the choice of giving up my 91 Legend to my son at college or our '95 Range Rover, a dog of a car. We decided to give him the Range Rover, in large measure because it is a dog to drive and he has less of chance of getting speeding tickets.So far, so good.

My car seems to have lost a little of its original power. No compression problems. Any suggestions. Also the AC seems very underpowered. Would changing the freon help?

Thanks. This is a great forum!
    Good choice on giving your son the Range Rover instead of the Legend. He could get himself into a lot of trouble with that power. About your power loss, I would recommend that you have the exhaust system checked, check your tranny fluid, and have your fuel injection system checked. A problem with any of the above items could be causing a loss of power. About the AC, you could have it recharged but you might need to convert to the newer R-134a refrigerant, if you haven't done so already. The conversion kit is a couple hundred bucks at the most. The R-134a refrigerant didn't debut until the 1993 model year Legend. I hope that I have provided you some assistance and good luck.

Tom
  • doeratchydoeratchy Member Posts: 4
    #15 thicks-I own a '91 Legend L, 4 dr., auto; transmission work @ 122800-torque converter, clutch kit, splined power shaft that transmitts power from the trans. to the transaxle($$$$$$$$), new radiator, water pump, T-belt, inner tie-rod ends. Do you have any info to pass along as far as additional maintenance? The security system will occasionally go to alarm when I insert the key to unlock the driver's door.
  • grubbagrubba Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 91 4 dr Legend LS. I love it. I sold a Porche 911 Convertable and I do not miss it! This car is Cherry - 84k miles and not a scratch on it.

Does anyone know how I can find out what this car would have cost NEW in 1991?
    The MSRP price was $34,200 + $160 destination. Dealer add-ons: pro-pack (rust-proofing - $389, paint sealant - $359, rear mud guards - $67, carpet mats - $99). Total: $35,274, excluding an ADM of $3900.

I paid $30,699 + TTF. I also bought an extended warranty (7 yrs/100K miles) at a reasonable $597.

It proved to be a great car. I sold it three years later to my client. Even with 52K miles, he was able to get the rest of the extended warranty (4 yrs/47K+ miles) for a $50 transfer fee. All service records were provided by the dealer and this validated the transfer.
    I don't think there is any other major items that need maintenance on your car since you have covered the most important items (T-belt and water pump). Just keep getting the regular maintenance done, check all of your fluids periodically and the car should be fine for many more thousands of miles.
  • rvargarvarga Member Posts: 1
    I bought a beautiful used 93 White Legend coupe in 96 with only 23K miles from an Acura dealer in Long Island, NY. The car (in and out) was in perfect condition and today, 4 years and 33K miles later, its still in perfect condition.
    I haven't had any trouble with the car except for the CD changer, which I went through 2 of them and finally got an after market brand.
    The car is great and I understand all you legend lovers out there how great this car really is. It runs well, looks good and it's a classic. I thought of selling it for an Audi Q4 but just couldn't do it. I just recently had my rims (16 inch 4 spoke) refinished for about $100 each and it was well worth it. They sanded it down, refinished the entire rim and put new clear coat on it, better than new!
    Anyway, I thought I write since it was my first time at edmund.com. Hope to hear from you Legend Lovers. By the way, those anyone know how much a 93 LS Coupe would be really worth? I heard $18K+, is that true?
  • tiltil88tiltil88 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1991 Acura Legend with 109,000 miles. Not my first choice, but I know the owner and knew I could trust him when he told me the car's history. It runs fairly well, and my mechanic said I could expect to keep it until it has 150,000 or more miles; however, it's not free of certain minor problems (one engine light malfunctions; control button for one window is broken, another is on its way out; radio antenna won't extend; tape deck is broken; leather seats are cracked and worn), and I'm a little wary about mechanical problems to come. I would encourage you *not* to hold out for a 1990 or 1992 Legend at this time for the following reasons:
    -- Bad mileage: about 17 mpg city. (I wouldn't have purchased mine if I'd been able to find something affordable with better mileage when I needed to replace my car). We pollute so much in so many ways -- it's crucial that we try to minimize wherever we can.
    -- You would do much better to spend $4000 on a car with 50,000 miles that's about 5 years old -- no matter how well a person has maintained a car, parts simply wear out over time and affect the integrity of the machine.
    -- If you buy a car that you can't afford to maintain, you're throwing away the money you invested in it; and if you struggle to find the money to maintain it, then you're mortgaging your future -- incurring debt to pay for maintenance and repairs, harming your credit if the debt is unmanageable.
    -- I sympathize with your yearning for this car -- most of us know what it is to want something intensely -- but: you're 25 years old, and you have plenty of time in life to purchase what you believe to be the car of your dreams. Also, and I offer this is a friendly way, and am not sure that it applies in this instance: when anything in life takes on disproportionate importance (a relationship with annother person, material objects, food, sports, gambling, partying), it's time to ask ourselves, "What is really important in life? What do I really want? What is missing in my life that I am overly focused on having something or someone?"
    Best wishes, and hope you find a reliable car that makes you happy.
  • tiltil88tiltil88 Member Posts: 2
    Call your local Acura dealer.
    Call national headquarters for Acura.
    Or call your local library -- reference librarians are amazing. If they can't find the info for you, they can tell you where or how to find it.
  • rob3409rob3409 Member Posts: 1
    Contemplating purchase of a 94 sedan for my wife, down to two choices, both clean one-owner; 1) LS w/67k miles @ $14k(private seller); 2) L w/35k miles @$17k(dealer-not Acura). Lot of money for a seven year old car, but have wanted one since they were new when we owned a mid-eighties Cressida which I loved. You Acura owners seem passionate about these cars...I'm pretty much convinced on how good they are, looking for feedback on these two possible deals. Also considering a mint 92 Mazda 929 w/70k for under $5k
    Good choice for your wife. The L-model didn't have some of the goodies that came on the LS-model but had enough to confirm that it was still luxury car. If I were you, I would stick with the L for $17k because it is being sold by a dealer and has about half the miles. When you buy from a dealer, a warranty is usually available and would provide some peace of mind if something were to go wrong with the car(not likely, it is a Honda product). When buying from a private seller, you can't have a warranty and they more than likely aren't going to back up the car. About the Mazda 929, I believe that car is one of the best used car values out there. IMO it looks good, comes with all the bells and whistles, and I've yet to see one that isn't in good condition despite it's age. Under $5k is a great deal and at that price it is safe not to buy from a dealer, since you're not spending as much as you would on the Legend LS. Good luck with your purchase!
    It doesn't sound like your car is that bad. The engine light could just be a glitch in the electrical system and could mean nothing. The broken window control switch is harmless unless it's the driver's window switch that doesn't work. The antenna is fixable as long as the motor still works and I can tell you how to fix it if needed. If the motor is broken then you can pull the antenna up and leave it up all of the time. About the tape deck, I don't even know if mine still works because I don't use it. I don't believe that any 10-year-old car is free of annoyances. My car has a few problems of its own that are similar to yours. My heated mirror light burned out just last month, my ABS light has been burned out for a while now and I accidentally broke a rear-door lock tab just recently. So look on the bright side, it could be worse. How much did you spend on it? You may have gotten an overall better deal than you believe you did. Good luck my friend and I seriously doubt that you'll have any major problems with your car unless your friend hasn't maintained it properly.
    just last week had the 90K mileage done on my 1994 Legend coupe, incl. timing belt and water pump. Dealer did something to a hose and had to do the job over again, replacing that hose. Then had second hose not reconnected well leak antifreeze (now fixed). Now hear new noise, comes and goes, sounds like a rattle similar but not identical to how the engine sounds when the a/c is actually on--the new noise is present with or without the a/c, but dealer told me today it's a bearing in the air compressor that must have been loosened with all the work. He can't do anything about it. My uncle (very knowledgeable) isn't convinced that's what it is. Any ideas?

Also, the idea in paying for all this (mega bucks - had new front brakes too) is to keep the car running without getting stranded anywhere. Should the dealer have replaced the hoses too even though they are still pliable?
    I'm not sure I understand what kind of rattling noise you are hearing. Does the noise come from the engine compartment or from the exhaust system underneath the car? Honda products are known to sometimes have a catalytic converter rattle that occurs during acceleration when they get older (5+ years). I don't know what could cause a rattle in the engine compartment. Hoses should only be replaced when they show signs of wear and /or starting to crack. I hope you find out what that strange noise is and have it taken care of.

Tom
  • sharkwalksharkwalk Member Posts: 16
    thank you to azsundevil. Now I know that my 1995 coupe six speed in red posts aggressive times. Although, I knew from the feel of it and the fact that cars seem to follow me at lights.

Siriusgrl, Hondas are known for weak low speed torque (post 49). See critiques of the S2000. However, they are strong at higher rpms. The engines love to get gas and start best at around 2500 to 2800 rpms. The beauty of the engine is the lack of weakness throughout the rpm range above 3000. Have you redlined in first and second gears yet? 65 miles per hour is what you can expect.

116,600 miles and loving every one.
  • philholtphilholt Member Posts: 4
    I leased a '91 Legend L 4 door 5 speed in Sept '91. While list price was about as described in #76, the lease was based upon a capital cost of $27,498 (before cash and trade-in but including everything except lease security deposit and first month's rent). My only complaint is that the shift from 1st to 2nd is almost impossible to make smoothly, despite an alleged dealer volunteered clutch replacement at about 5K miles. I bought it for the $12,750 option price at the end of the 5yr lease. Car has 77K miles now, and only non-routine-maintenance repair was new ball joints at 70K miles. I love the car, and it out performs in all respects my former '68 911L Porche.
    Your situation proves that even with leases, the price is negotiable. The $27,498 price may be roughly the same % to the MSRP as my LS purchase. Leases are not automatically based on MSRP unless you allow it!

May you continue to enjoy many happy miles with the manual trans. My first Legend (1986) was a five-speed stick, but I waited in vain for a 5-speed 1987 L coupe - "ordered" one in April '87, took an automatic in July, dealer never received any manuals in their allocation till February 1988 although they had "tons" of stick-shift sedans.

I also owned a 911L, which I enjoyed immensely in the callow days of my youth, before I finally "grew-up." What a great car, at least for my "image" back then!
    Tom, thanks for the response. The noise is on the driver's side, and does seem to be below the engine, but it doesn't really sound like an exhaust problem. It doesn't get worse with acceleration. My uncle and I checked it out with a little microphone thing he has like a stethoscope, and the engine parts sound fine. We couldn't look under it, though. If it gets worse I'll take it back to the dealer - I don't know what else to do since the guy said he can't fix it.

Sharkwalk -- I haven't redlined in any gear! Afraid to ruin the engine, I guess. That's what old age will do to you! You did make me feel better about the acceleration. Like I said before, it's a great car on the highway. Now that I've had all this maintenance, I'm looking forward to many more miles. By the way, have you had any maintenance problems with yours?
    The redlining will come up on you quickly. Turn the traction control off, throw it into first and stomp on the gas. you will be shifting into second very quickly since first gear climbs the rpm at an accelerating rate. Hitting the redline is avoidable wih quick glances to the rpm gauge. I did this a few times right after I purchased the vehicle (used with 14,400 miles: GM was the prior owner).

I have put 102,500 miles on this car in the last 5 years and have not had any mechanical problems. Oil changes every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. I have not been easy on the car, see comments on redline. My only unsolved problem is a buzz on the left side of the stereo system. My ears are very sensitive to music. My dealer tried everything to solve the problem. They even got a test CD from Bose (right down the street from the dealership) in order to test frequency response on the system.

I have found that cruising with rpms above 3000 gives you more torque availability for quick acceleration. Gas use is not effected that much. Your problem with slow traffic is to accelerate in first for a couple of seconds and then slip it into neutral in order to coast. Just remember to put it in second gear if you are still moving at a reasonable clip.

I will admit that my lifestyle has changed. The red legend is becoming the third car in the family. I will be picking up a new RL with navigation tomorrow. My son's car seat does not fit into the back seat of the coupe very well.

I
    Since you've had yours lo these many years, maybe you can help me some more. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I have never had the car in 6th gear. At about 75 mph it shows around 3000 rpm, and I haven't gone above 80 since I got the car (bad experience with expensive ticket burned me out on speeding). Should I be in 6th at 75 mph?
    heck yeah, use 6th gear.
    There are times when I throw the car into 6th and times when I stay in 5th. It depends on the driving conditions and my expectations that I may need to accelerate or decelerate (I try to decelerate with my engine if possible).

The benefit of 6th gear is slight fuel economy improvement. The cost is torque. At 75 mph, you must throw the car into 5th gear if you want to move fast. The power at 2200 rpms is pretty weak. I prefer to keep my rpms above 3000 with 2800 as my minimum. I may lose the ability to drive an additional 25 to 40 miles on a tankful of gas but it creates opportunities for feeling the strength of the engine and the sound of the engine.

BTW, When i accelerate, I am usually shifting at around 5500 rpms on a regular basis as I get through the low gears. It puts you right into the powerband of the engine at about 3500 rpms in the next gear.

A BMW fanatic who has worked and raced his own cars once told me that cars should be driven above 3000 rpm since they are more efficient. I cannot confirm that statement, but I know that the Legend is more fun to drive above 3000 rpms.

if you want fun in the legend, try doing 50 or 60 mph on the offramps of highways.
    Yes, above 3000 is where you want to keep the Legend, whether it's a auto or manual. But, if you're under cruise control and on an interstate or something, definitely use 6th gear for lower noise and better economy. The Legend is nice in that once you cross 3200 or so RPM, the acceleration is pretty brisk even in 5th or D4.

If you live in West Texas or something, though, man that 6th gear would be nice for setting cruise at 100 or so on a flat road.
    thanks much for the driving tips, sharkwalk and qzback.
    My Daughter's 91 had the speedometer go to zero for a second and the D4 start to flash while she was driving home for Thanksgiving. The flashing continued for her trip (about 160 miles). Now we can't get it to repeat this. It shifts and runs fine, the transmission fluid is at the correct level. The owner's manual says that the flashing D4 indicates some transmission problem.
    Questions:

Since I cannot reproduce the problem (and I have driven it more than 50 miles, under the same conditions that she did) can these things self correct?

Should I have the filter and fluid changed?

Am I missing early symptoms of a transmission failure?

Anybody else ever have this happen?

Thanks.
    I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. As a fellow '91 owner I can't say that I have experience with such a problem. I don't believe that a transmission problem could correct itself but the D4 light could have just flashed for no reason. It sounds like your transmission is fine because if something was wrong it would be shifting harder than normal and have some slippage. Is the fluid in good condition (reddish color and not brown)? How long has it been since the fluid was changed? Transmission fluid should be changed every 2years or 30,000 miles. I don't believe anything is wrong with your tranny but look out for slippage and noisy, abrupt shifts. Good luck and if you have any specific questions just ask!

Tom
    I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving holiday!
  • calebdeckercalebdecker Member Posts: 2
    I am new to the Acura market place (or relatively new - have never owned) but have owned Hondas and Mazdas. I have found what appears to be a car worth considering - 92 LS automatic. 55 k miles. "mint" condition, or so I am told. This weekend I will probably drive, but would like to be sure this is a worthwhile auto. These posts certainly lead one to believe so. But to approach this from the other angle - what could go wrong first on this automobile? Timing belt in 50 k miles? Water pump? I am just looking to learn what I should look closely at, other than the obvious.

Thanks
    Definitely check out this car. If you like Hondas, the Legend will be worth checking out. It combines Honda reliability with luxury and style. Inspect the entire car thoroughly to look for any major blemishes or signs of a past wreck. Make sure the owner has most if not all records for the vehicle. Even though it only has 55k miles, you have to keep in mind that it is over 8 years old and some things wear out regardless of miles (brake lines, hoses, etc.). Before you buy, have it inspected by a mechanic to make sure everything is good to go. You might need to have the timing belt changed if it hasn't been already. T-belts wear out over time and should be changed every 6 years or 90k miles which ever comes first. The water pump doesn't really have to be replaced at the same time as the timing belt. It unlike the t-belt will let you know when it is about to go out. Also, before you buy don't forget to check the trade-in and retail values of the car to make sure you are getting a good deal. If it is being sold by a dealer, the price is probably close to retail but is also slightly negotiable. You may also be able to get them to throw in the T-belt. If it is being sold privately, it should be priced in between retail and trade-in. You shouldn't buy a car at full retail price from a private party. Good luck and if you have any questions just ask.

Tom
  • calebdeckercalebdecker Member Posts: 2
    Microsoft CarPoint (is that a dirty word around here???) mentions a few things to look at on this model, including the speed sensor / ignition module, and the radiator cracking. Is this a concern?

If I can negotiate the buyer to pick up the timing belt, what would this run? $400?

Lastly ... If purchased, I might put on some custom 16" or 17" wheels/tires. Are the old wheels something I could sell? Are there acura sites that I could visit to pawn these off?

Thanks.

Caleb