Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura Legend

Comments

• fivofivo Member Posts: 5
    I have a 95 GS Sedan that I purchased in March of this year. The car has developed a strange "rattle" that sounds alot like some sort of electric interference or even the geiger counters that I have heard on TV. The noise seems to be coming from the dash and happens mostly when the car is in gear and you come to a stop (like at a stop light) and the car is sitting idling. If you put the car in park it stops, but sometimes it starts back. Also it seems to happen only when the temperature is 50 degrees F and lower.

The sound is not loud enough to be heard over a radio playing at normal levels, however it is lound enough to drive out of your mind with the radio off.

Again it only happens while idling. I have never heard it while moving.

If anyone has any idea what this could be please advise.

Thanks,

fivo
  • xrek1xrek1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 90 Legend LS with 118,000 miles. When I start the car, I hear a ticking sound. It goes away after I drive for a while or should I say I can't hear it any more. Does anyone have an idea what it is and how it can be fixed inexpensively? I asked a mechanic once and they said to fix it they would have to replace the engine. They also said the engine was very clean when they replaced the head gasket because I changed the oil regularly.
  • thedude584thedude584 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed a similar noise when I used to drive my Dad's '93 Legend, although you describe it as possibly electrical, so I'm not sure. Otherwise, it sounds exactly the same. The catalytic converter heat shields were loose. The mechanic told us we could try some clamping device-which sort of worked, or just take the heat shields out and don't park over any dry leaves. (not exactly a safe solution.)
  • gwlaw99gwlaw99 Member Posts: 2
    "When I start the car, I hear a ticking sound"

You probably need a new battery. That is the sound my car makes when the battery is going dead. 91 coupe
  • fxb3fxb3 Member Posts: 1
    I found a 1990 Acura Legend L with 160000, they [christian thrift organization] offered to take $2,000 for it since it has been sitting for three monthes. The car seems solid bushing, cv's, engine. The starter was acting up so I have yet to start it and check engine,tranny and alignment. There seems to be some oil residue on headers between the engine and radiator though maybe valve cover. Anyone have any suggestions other than mentioned or timing belt, or costs associated. I think I might check it in to our state college run garage for free labor.
  • pwaspwas Member Posts: 34
    Im trying to make a decision about purchasing a 90 Legend L 4dr 1owner auto thats been well maintained in excellent condition with only 107000 miles. Versus a 91 L 4dr 2nd owner auto with 168000 well maintained 2yr old transmission,and other new parts or a 94 infiniti J30 with 11800 with all the service records but it has a problem now with the drivers door lock and window. What do you suggest HELP! Must make a decision this week.
  • pwaspwas Member Posts: 34
     I have also notice oil between the radiator on the lower front of engine burning after driving a little. on 90 legend sedan. What can this be some type of leaking valve cover gasket in the front of the engine?
  • hammerhead12hammerhead12 Member Posts: 5
    I am currently looking to replace my wife's old car (1994 Chevy Cavalier - Teal) with a 1995 Acura Legend L.

I'm wondering is the dealer giving me a fair deal.

It's got all options for an L (leather, keyless, automatic, and cd changer). 54599 miles(??) What is wrong with the prior owners? Pay almost $40,000 for a car and not drive it??????

I've had it checked by a mechanic, they found a bent (and rather scraped up rim) but other than that they thought it was solid. The car doesn't appear to have been serviced recently and they couldn't tell on the 30k service.

But based on age and mileage it's due for some pricey work. Needs tires, timing belt (age), etc, and that rim replaced. Plus it has one very small dent in the trunk (trailer hitch backed into?).

They were asking $10,995, I've got them down to $10. But they haven't agreed to fix the dent and they aren't planning on detailing (fine by me, it's clean).

Do I buy it? Or should I be concerned about the lack of mileage (seems like a strange question) and service records?
  • bazza99_99bazza99_99 Member Posts: 3
    I have been reading the various messages about the seemingly normal overheating problems that occur with Legends. My youngest son is currently looking at an 89 model that the current owner admits 'is overheating'. He has replaced the radiator (twice), the hoses, belts etc but nothing seems to work.
    The main symptom appears to be a 'surging' effect in the water level when the radiator cap is removed. Would this point towards a cracked head ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Dave, in the USA, they changed the name between '95 and '96 from Legend to RL when the body style changed. No new "Legends" in the USA. They are both called Acura over here. The '91 through '95 Legends look the same. I bought a '91 in 2000 for my daughter to use at college. It has been good, but it did need a head gasket job at 141,000 miles which set me back about $1800. Had the valves done at the same time. You probably can't go wrong with either car, in the USA most would prefer the automatic. The '96 is just the most recent model change, and still the one we see here. Called an Acura RL 3.5.

Also these things tend to hold value.
    Given my experience it is most likely a blown head gasket, but a cracked block might do the same. See previous post about the $1800 is spent on a head gasket and valve job last summer.
  • hyiuhyiu Member Posts: 18
    Hi All:

I have a 93 Legend.. very nice car and running well... recently, I drove my cousin's new Golf...
    1 thing I noticed is that they have a "slightly blue tinted mirror"... that makes it sooo much better when driving at night... esp. if a suv / truck is behind you....

I tried to look for tinted side mirror, but with no luck... anyone can give me a pointer ??...

Thanks...
  • paulchen239paulchen239 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Acura Legend L (auto)with 80K miles. I started to experience some starting problem and would like to get your help.
    When I try to start, it would crank and ignite, but die out in a 1~2 seconds. I first suspect there is something wrong with my battery which was replaced only a year ago. I tested with Voltage meter-it's 12 V. Could that be the alternator problem? I turned the headlight on, it's no problem there. One more thing is that when I insert the key and turn to on position right before to ignite, the cluster signs do't display as usual. What's wrong with it? Thanks in advance for your input!
    Since the headlights seem to work fine, it isn't the alternator. Does it crank, start and then the engine dies? If so, it is not the starter, battery, or alternator. It seems to be in the engine. Does it stutter and die or just die? With the problem with the cluster lights mentioned too, I am guessing that the problem is a single one and is actually in the ignition switch in the dash itself. Try jiggling the key a little and see if it keeps running or the cluster lights come on.

Good luck

ES '91 Legend Sedan
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    Your syptoms sound like a failing main fuel sending relay located under the steering wheel, pretty easy to change out yourself. The cost is about $40 if I recall. This is a so&so common problem with the Legend and early 90's Accords. Your best bet would be to visit www.acura-legend.com a great site with tons of info. and very informed Legend owners. Hope this helps.
  • bg68bg68 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 94 Legend Coupe (L) and I recently had my front seats reupholstered. When I picked my car up I noticed that my driver side door was not electronically catching anymore and that even when I closed my door my door open sign was still on and the interior lights were still on as if the door was never closed. I called the local Acura dealer and they recommeded that I replace the door switch which isn't visible to the naked eye like in most cars. Needless to say $200 later (part and labor) and I still have the same problem and to compound the problem, it has now drained my battery...any advice would be greatly appreicated.
    Thanks
  • ekazekaz Member Posts: 1
    A couple things I have noticed about my 95 Legend Coupe in 2 yrs of ownership...The 1st to 2nd gear shift is rough, but dealer and independant jobbers tell me this is normal on the Legend. I did have trans fluid changed with a power-flush to get ALL the old oil out for about $150. It still shifts rough-with a jump... The radiator was developing a minor slow oozing type leak at top (plastic) cap, so I changed it myself. Acura part est. was $454. vs. 160 at Sims radiator shop in Atlanta. So I bought the $160 one & installed myself but had to buy the hoses at dealer because the others wouldn't fit correctly. Last week, my drivers window went down, but wouldn't go up. Honda dealer charged me $440. to replace the switch cluster in the door panel...way too much I thought but whatchagunna do. I love the Legend look & ride and hope I can drive for many years to come. I can not get overly excited about the new Acuras. I want to get a Vigor soon also.
  • lovesicecreamlovesicecream Member Posts: 1
    We are considering buying an '87 Acura Legend, original owner. 74,000 miles, mint condition inside and out. Same mechanic during the past 10 years. Any reason not to buy it??? Would like to hear from '87 Legend owners. Thanks.
  • hcmmikehcmmike Member Posts: 19
    my daughter will turn sweet sixteen next week and has found a 1991 LS Coupe with 131,000 miles being offered for $4,000. I haven't done a lot of research yet (she just hit me with this when I got home)and would like to hear from anybody who wants to offer their two cents. I've never looked at Acuras before (to buy).

The car is supposedly in mint condition (aren't they all)...we're taking it to our mechanic tomorrow...assuming everything checks out, what do you all think of this car for the price?
  • sterlingleesterlinglee Member Posts: 3
    I use to own a 88 Acura Legend L. The ticking noise was a valve problem that went away when the oil and motor heated up. It is a design problem that shows up in older Acura's. I currently own a 95 Acura Legend GS.
    This is a fast car with a 230 hp engine. Do you trust your daughters driving skills?
    I have owned a 88 Acura Legend L and currently own a 95 Acura Legend GS. For both cars I have purchased parts online at http//:asian-auto-parts.com. I have always found their prices including shipping to be lower than the dealers. I have done about $1500 worth of business with them over the years.
    I bought my daughter a 1991 Legend Sedan as a college car 3 years ago. 105,000 miles on it then and 150,000 now. We have had to have a head gasket job done and radiator replaced.
    Speed sensor has gone out on the transmission twice.

Acura dealer service is good and expensive.

This is a substantial and powerful car, and seems to have served us well. The leather interior is starting to come apart.

Very similar to our '99 Intrepid ES. In fact, it looks like Chrysler looked hard at those Legends when they were designing the Intrepid and Concorde. The Dodge is a quieter and smoother car, however. But it is 8 years newer.
  • johnnyboy4johnnyboy4 Member Posts: 10
    Mine shufts abruptly too. All of them do. That is why the 1990 Legend is faster than the current one. 0-60 in oh say 6.9. Reason was to say we are as fast as the Lexus LS with a V6. Has 220,000 miles on it and was running very well, but got rear ended by some jackass who did a hit and run. I don't think it is worth a full repair job. Maybe a small one at $800 and sell it for $2500 and save the insurance.
  • johnnyboy4johnnyboy4 Member Posts: 10
    Pretty safe car overall and especiall good since it is the only car that year that had 2 airbags. Structure is overall strong. If your daughter is not a speed demon then getting a fast and agile car such as this is a very good thought. If she is I am sorry to say get her a 1996 Civic or something. Sedan had 200hp but was pretty fast overall. The 230hp one is no joke about as fast as a 2002 Q45. Sound strange? Thank that transmission.
  • nemi5is04nemi5is04 Member Posts: 1
    hey im 17 years old, im from new jersey, and im a guy, and im thinkin of gettin this 95 acura legend LS.( HERES A PIC http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/pd64911e80af404b2f990- d0e6d4130ac7/fb82fdb3.jpg ) the car has 202K miles, which kinda of scares me since this is going to be my 1st car. the driver side seats are a little torn and dried.( HERES A PIC http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/pfe7c12d4a9496b464c0b- 71d734d84877/fb8300b0.jpg )(HERES ANOTHER PIC http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p521ac85d20e08d4cfa2d- 747136223a99/fb8300a5.jpg) and the arm rest is messed up too ( HERES A PIC http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p2980bfd05030ce8edda6- dc438060169f/fb8300a8.jpg)

other then that the car seems to be in good condition...i think. the back seats are mint. thanks to edmunds.com i've been able to get an estimate for around $2000-3000, and i know a place where i can get custom leather seat covers for 1150 installed (katzkin.com)

and since it has so many miles on it im plannin on gettin a new acura legend engine with 35-45K miles. and does anyone know how much that would cost to get installed?

so i just wanna know if its a good investment for me, and how long its goin to run well, since it is my 1st car and i want it to last through a better part of college...thanks
    Why are you replacing the engine? Is there something wrong with the one in the car? I wouldn't change it unless there is a real problem. Miles on these modern cars are amazing. It may last you another 150,000 if it has been taken care of.

Acura parts are expensive, so be careful. But these are wonderful cars.

ES
    Where is the engine computer located in a 1991 Legend Sedan? The dealer says ours is bad, and wants $1100 to replace it. I can buy one for $189. I figure I can replace it myself.

Thanks.

ES
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    amplifier last year? If so, where can I find information on it. I have only owned my car for about 3 years....would I qualify? thanks in advance for any info...
    We received a recall notice for our '91 sedan about 2 years ago. If you didn't best to check with your local dealer. I'm sure they can tell you rather quickly whether you need to have yours done.

ES
  • mtw723mtw723 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Legend L Sedan and have had it since 93 the shifting that you described IS NORMAL!
  • jordynjjordynj Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone...I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have the opportunity of buying a 1991 Legend coupe. I love this car already. I am in college and need a reliable but inexpensive car. The only thing is that the car has 250,000 miles on it. THe original owner's son is saleing it. What do you guys think? Is $4000 an okay price? The only thing he has mentioned so far is an occasional oil leak. I test drive it this week.
    Thanks so much
  • pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    I had 1993 Legend few years ago, beautiful car, I still like the looks in and out, but would not buy one with 250000 miles. You can probably get on with 100000, for the same price.
  • bigdenjustbigdenjust Member Posts: 1
    i was wondering if the 1995 acura legend L shifting problems that where discussed in some of the above letters had an problems with a clicking noise as well.I have had this car for about 4 yrs now and still no answers.The dealer says its normal but it holds like it is in overdrive or something and once the speed decreases to like 20 or below it feels like what ever was holding it back releases and the noise stops.Anyone that has this problem or something like it please let me know what to do..
  • damos516damos516 Member Posts: 13
    For those of you who are in search of reasonable places to get FACTORY Acura and/or Honda Parts, try WWW.AHMOTOR.COM (Acura/Honda Motor). If you're specifically looking for Honda Parts, you can either try the URL above or WWW.PAGEAUTO.COM. I stumbled across both of these site in the Motor Trend Magazine.

On a different note, I just purchased a '94 Legend L with 36K miles on it. Owner had 4 other vehicles and just purchased a '99 BMW 528I which prompted him to sell the Acura. This car is in immaculate condition from the Engine to the Interior Cabin to the External body (Paint is like new {Garage Kept}). I currently have a '93 Honda Accord which I just turned 250K miles yesterday. Kelly Blue Book value on the Acura was at $10,300. I got it for a flat $10K. The car is beautiful. I've actually gotten two offers for $15,000 for the car which should say something about it's condition. I've seen that some of you are looking to buy a Legend with pretty High Mileage (upper 175K+ to 200K+ miles). I would just suggest you take these vehicles to someone you trust knows something about cars before making those purchases. Whether you buy a car new or used, it is a major purchase which can affect your daily life. Typically, a higher car note is associated with the Security of having a new car that will not spend any time in the shop. The lower car note, if any payments are involved, could have you sitting on the side of the road running late for work or missing work altogether. Honda/Acura makes great vehicles but they only run as good if taken care of. Many people know these cars are in great demand and will try to pull fast ones on people who appear very interested in buying a Legend. Just keep that in mind!
  • damos516damos516 Member Posts: 13
    I have a honda accord and an Acura Legend. The Legend has a slightly hard shift from first to 2nd gear but each higher gear thereafter is super smooth. My Honda has a similar shift patter. However, with 250K miles on it, the Honda does exemplify a little more of a rough shift from first to 2nd. I took it to the dealer multiple times and each dealer stated that the shifting was normal for Hondas/Acuras. The think you should really look out for is harsh shifting of the engine which could signify bad mounts. I had that problem on the honda and hopefully won't have that on the Legend. Has any one had harsh engine shifting on their legend? FYI...(Harsh Shifting) The entire car jerks when shifting from park to reverse or to Drive.
  • repak1repak1 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, recently I purchased a used 92 Legend, very nice car. I'm now the 3rd owner. The passenger seat adjusted all the way back does not provide adquate leg room for me or my wife. I'm 5'11" and wife is 5'6". I have a 92 Vigor and it provided much more room. Does anyone have a solution to this, I called a Acura dealer to no avail? Also, I would like to know if engine parts, ie, alternator, starter,are interchangable with the Legend? Please help. Thank you
  • sdorrii68sdorrii68 Member Posts: 2
    I have been told conflicting things about a rattle in the rear suspension. Both are from authorized repair shops. One says most likely strutt bracket. Suggest replacing strutts and brackets. The other says nothing wrong with suspension and doesn't believe that the strutts need replaced, he says he hasn't had success with replacing strutts and that once the originals are replaced that you have to continue to replace more frequently.

Any help?
  • bmwlover3bmwlover3 Member Posts: 11
    I own a '91 Legend L with a 105k miles. I replaced all four struts and hubs with monroe lifetime warranty from Sears. They run sales in the spring and fall. They seem to work just fine after 20k miles. You may need to change them every 50-60k because the legend is a heavy car.
    I hope that helps.

Regards
  • sdorrii68sdorrii68 Member Posts: 2
    Did you have improved ride and handling? The repair guy said they put strutts on his wifes and the car has been worse?
  • bmwlover3bmwlover3 Member Posts: 11
    After you replace any strut system. The car will handle and ride differently. My experience was an improved ride but the handling was lighter for about 5k miles. These cars are great but they are hard on suspensions.

Regards
  • andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    I am buying a 94 gs sedan w/ 80k miles from a family member. I was told the radiator was leaking so when I went online to order a radiator, it was recommended that a head gasket/pressure check be done since a cause of a leaking radiator is often a blown head gasket.
    From reading the posts here (I read them ALL) it seems a leaking radiator is a common malady of the legend. Have many of you who have replaced the radiator also replaced head gaskets?
    Thanks,
    Don
    What is the norm with timing belt changes? I heard the 3.2 is an interferance engine so I am going to be conservative...anyone change the belt themselves? Is it worth doing the water pump at the same time?
    The Legend radiator design uses a plastic top portion (poor design) that will crack over time and once your engine overheats there's a real good chance that your head gasket is toast and there's permanent warpage due to the aluminum constr. Around $3K at the dealer to fix. I would go with a Modine aluminum unit to avoid this. You don't need to ever change the head gasket normally only if it's determined that there is damage already.

The TB should be changed at 6 years or 90K miles whichever comes first. The water pump is usually done at same time due to everything being apart since the job is mainly labor. About $500-650 at most good independent shops. I would never attempt to change it myself as you need special tools to remove certain bolts which are really a pain to remove. Plan on a whole weekend to do it, it's normally a 1 day job in the shop
  • electronselectrons Member Posts: 16
    I bought my legend new, actually leased it, and when I was done w/ the lease, I purchased it, knowing that it's very expensive to do that, but I also knew that this car is a great car. I don't own it anymore, but when I turned it over to my mother in law, it had 345k miles on it. Sure I had the normal things go out on it, alternator, wheel bearings, tires, brakes, even a/c fans, both blower and cooling fan, and a handful of ox sensors, but the engine is original. sure it lacked real power by today's car standard, I think 160 HP, I have a TL Type S w/ 260 hp, but the most amazing thing about that Legend is that I got 22 mpg the day I got it and it's still getting 22 mpg in mixed driving.

If anyone is wondering if a Legend can go to a mere 200k miles? I'd say easily if it's maintained well. They are nearly bulletproof if driven properly and maintenance is done on them properly, and I might add, good OEM parts used on them.

No trans, fuel pump, steering or a/c problems. I knew I should have bought a 95 model but back in 95 my car was only 8 yrs old, and still running strong. It's '04 now, the Legend still is impeccable shape and still motoring around town, so someone save me a '90 to '95 Legend. I'll get around to buying one someday.

Oh, if your wondering why I got the TL. I really had no choice, my Legend was stolen, and I of course bought it back from the insurance company.
  • jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    Hello Acura Legend Fans,

I used to own an 89 Legend L, 4 door. I recently sold it to a friend and he is generally happy except for one thing.
      On occasion when you hit the brakes they work but then if you keep your foot on the pedal it will sink toward the floor. If you pump them again they work fine but the pedal will again fade. When I owned the car it would occasionally do this to me but usually only in hot weather. Now it appears to be more frequent. My friend had new brake lines put into the front but it did not improve the situation. The ABS system basically died sometime back but that is of course a separate set of lines.

Anyone have similar experiences or any suggestions?

I loved the car by the way and its still in great shape except for this braking issue.

Thanks,

Jim d.
    What your experiencing is the master brake cylinder going bad. The ABS is a seperate system so it's not the culprit.
  • electronselectrons Member Posts: 16
    the seals in the master cyc are worn out. just get a new master cyc.,

prattste, knows his stuff, he must have been worked on cars before to know that.
    I went down to Florida and replaced the radiator on my new 94 gs and thank the gods, the head gaskets seem to be fine. While getting the tires balanced I noticed a torn cv boot and had both half shafts replaced (car has 85K). The drive back to NJ went smoothly (1200 miles at 75~85 gave me 25mpg)...Only remaining problems are wind noise from the front windows and the abs light. Anyone have experience with these problems?
    Thanks, Don
  • tjepptjepp Member Posts: 7
    I am thinking of purchasing a 95 Legend L. It has almost all the options offered that year (according to Edmunds) leather, automatic trans., and cd changer. It isn't equipped with keyless entry. The car has 91K on it and the asking price is $8995. The dealer claims the car is perfect and has the carfax available. At 91K I'm sure I should make sure the timing belt and water pump have been replaced before I buy. Besides the radiator issue, Bose stereo problems, and possible drivers seat rocking is there anything major I should concern myself with? I will possibly look at the car early next week. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance from a possible Legend buyer.
    tjepp
    Abs and transmission mount (especially rear)
    Don