Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura Legend

Comments

• nic22102nic22102 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I just recently purchased a 1991 Acura Legend and it did not have an owners manuel. I know I could spend some time and put in some effort to find out some things I am unsure of, but I dont have the time to do so. I was just wondering if anyone that does have a manuel would be interested in telling me some things that I would like to know? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
  • baumbaum Member Posts: 15
    -lastwraith
    thank you so much for your help. i'm going to try it next weekend....i'll keep my fingers crossed! Kinda weird though.......it hasn't done it since i posted the last message. :confuse:
    Thanks again :)
  • bucksbucks Member Posts: 3
    I just paid for new head gaskets, water pump and timing belt on my 1991 Legend Coupe. The car has 155000 plus miles and runs great. The only problem I have is the car shifts hard in 2nd and 3rd gear. Also, the car will shift hard when slowing down to stop. I took it back to the repair shop and they told me due to the car running so well, it will have a tendency to shift hard (ha!). I think the RPM needle is set to high. But again, the mechanic told me the RPM needle is set per specs. Any ideas???
  • mrmath2umrmath2u Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where the headlights-on chime/alarm is located? I suspect that it was disabled and want to enable it. :confuse: Thanks in advance.

1990 Legend LS Coupe
  • rainsourcerainsource Member Posts: 1
    Did you solve this issue? I am having the exact same problem. :confuse:
  • minksnopesminksnopes Member Posts: 2
    I have a 86 Legend. The other day I twisted the switch to turn on the headlights. In the first position the dashboard light and running lights come one, but if I turn it to the next position the headlights come one but the dashboard lights and running lights go off. Brake lights not affected. I am not much of a diagnostician or mechanic so I am hoping someone can tell me what the problem is and if it is something a guy with a tool box the size of a lunch pail can fix. Appreciate any and all input. Thank You very much.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to also post this in our Electrical Problems discussion while you're waiting for some feedback here.
  • rich29_calrich29_cal Member Posts: 1
    Anyone, I mean anyone, know what happend to Acura-Legend.com???
  • renrickrenrick Member Posts: 1
    Do you have a service manual (pdf) that I can have
  • suchisuchi Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

The airconditioning on my 91 Legend sometimes works fine and at times it doesn't blow cold (the radio display does this on/off thing too). I took it to the dealer, who found no leaks but topped off the refrigerant in the compressor, then thought the electrical relays might be at fault and now says that there is a problem with Electronic Control Unit's grounding.

I haven't been able to get a clear answer from him about whether replacing the ECU is a safety concern or not. For example, does it control the transmission or the ABS or if all it does is control the compressor and maybe the radio display. It would be helpful if someone could shed light on what the ECU does and does not control or if there are several ECUs each with a different set of purposes.

Thanks in advance!
  • puchopucho Member Posts: 1
    Clutch pedal sinks to floor and has no pressure to return to its normal postion. Has anyone had a similar problem? What should be done?

My 1992 Acura Legend Coupe v6 engine with 5-speed manual transmission

Any clues appreciated. TIA.

PS. The mechanic wants to change clutch slate and master. He said "hydralic part has slow internal leak and needs to be changed." It is normal wear and tear of the part. Clutch and transmission have been already been changed 4 months ago.
  • lastwraithlastwraith Member Posts: 350
    There should be a TCU (transmission control unit) mounted right next to your ECU, I'll leave it up to you to figure out what that does ;) But as for the ECU...

Straight from a reputable auto repair website:

"Definition: The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) controls the fuel injection system, ignition timing, and the idle speed control system. The ECU also interrupts the operation of the air conditioning and EGR systems, and controls power to the fuel pump (through the control relay). The ECU consists of an 8-bit microprocessor, random access memory (RAM), read only memory (ROM), and an input/output interface.

Based on information from the input sensors (engine coolant temperature, barometric pressure, air flow, etc.), the ECU determines optimum settings for the output actuators (injection, idle speed, ignition timing, etc.)."
  • sixfivesixfive Member Posts: 45
    Anyone care to comment on a 7900 Purhcase price for a car with 48k in excellent condition. This car should have 100k to go based on my experience with Honda and Acura but the pricing appraisals all come back in the 5000 -5500 range. Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,176
    I'm definitely not an expert....

But, I do own a '92 Legend L.. with around 40K on the clock...

Before I bought it from my uncle, he had a few dealers tell him that they would put it on their lot for $8500, and probably get $7500 out of it... this was a couple years ago...

The Legend is very popular, and the LS model even more so.... but, it seems prices have started to tail off a little, as it gets harder every year to find nice examples...

Not sure if this is a dealer or private seller, but if the car is in good shape, in accord with the low miles, then I'd say it should probably bring $6500-$7500... The lower end from a private seller, and the upper end from a dealer...

With that mileage, I can't see it going under $6K, unless it has some bad custom work or is an iffy color, or some other problem...

Hopefully, some of our members will chime in with some recent pricing experiences.. (I got a family deal on mine).

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sixfivesixfive Member Posts: 45
    Great Info - thanks kyfdx.

What are the trouble areas I should look for? Isn't the tranny an issue for some years? Also, wasn't there a hefty HP increase for the last year or two on the 6 speed. I saw some information a while ago and can't find it now. Any help is appreciated.

Also as an enthusiastic car person, what other great buys would you suggest. I like the idea of an old early 80's low miles supra. I saw one going for 14k. I love the idea of getting a car for 8K and selling it in 3 years for 7k. Grand National may not lose much value either but good ones tend to cost a tad more. Sorry to digress but Acura sure did a good job way back then and I'm wondering if anything can compete before I sell my G and have to decide.
  • hawks1hawks1 Member Posts: 57
    I have a 1990 Legend (L Series) with 188K miles. For some time, well over a couple of years, the yellow ABS warning light comes on after brief driving and remains on. A local mechanic has assured me nothing is wrong with the ABS system but nothing can be done to "turn off" the warning light. Does this sound reasonable and has anyone else had this problem? I'm getting ready to sell this car and I'm sure this question will arise with a perspective buyer.
  • hyiuhyiu Member Posts: 18
    I have a 93 Legend Coupe.
    leather seat, and driver side power seat. The leather on the front seats cracks pretty badly.

I want to cover it with a seat cover. I'm using a t-shirt to cover it for now. But because of the bucket seat shape, the back doesn't fit well at all.

Anyone uses a seat cover of some sort to cover their seat ??
    If so, can you tell me how good they fit, what brand, and what price ??

Thanks,
    - Henry.
  • johnacuratypiijohnacuratypii Member Posts: 2
    I have read several comments on overheating. I wokred for Honda for a few years so I had access to my techs on a regular basis. I have a 93 Acura LS Coupe Type II, 6spd. It had an overheating problem as well. The relay to the electric fan had to be replaced, it was as simple as that. Check your relays first, look at your diagram in your fuse box, the one located in your engine compartment. My Acura mechanic had stated the relay that runs the second electric fan (the one that usually turns on after your car is off and turns on and off as your car is at idle) usually has to be replaced after 10 yrs or so. Try that if you haven't. If I recall the relay was about 20-25 dollars.
  • johnacuratypiijohnacuratypii Member Posts: 2
    If you're in the market for a Legend Coupe and you a performance enthusiast get a 1993 or newer, this is when Acura came out with the TypeII motor along with the 6spd transmission pushing the horsepower on the 6spd to about 235 w/about 210lb ft of torque. 0-60 runs about 6.3 seconds and 1/4 mile in about 14.8 with TCS off. It's not super fast but remember it's a big heavy touring coupe that'll push 160mph, 155mph is what it's rated at from the factory then the fuel cut off kicks in.
    Mechanically I haven't heard anything being a common problem for the Legend. There has been a few electrical issues. By the way, mine is for sale...black on black LS 6spd Type II, runs awesome, custome paint, ground effects and performance suspension etc.
  • pmorrisonflpmorrisonfl Member Posts: 3
    Delray Acura has a 1992 Legend Sedan with 52000 miles up for auction on eBay, and for sale at the dealership. I drove it today, it's nice! It's one owner, bought 13 years ago, maintained at the dealer, just traded in. I think it's as nice a '92 Legend LS sedan as you're likely to run in to. They're asking 8,900 on the price tag, but the eBay reserve is lower... somewhere. Via edmunds.com and eBay completed items searches, it looks like $5500-6000 would be what similar cars would go for... but I can see how a one-owner, service records available example could command a premium. What would you say a fair price for such an example would be?

Oh, and if you're in the market, I call dibs!

http://www.delrayacura.com/
    While you wait for some input here, check the Edmunds Used Car Appraiser.

You might also try asking Terry (rroyce10) in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to include all the necessary information that is listed above the post box.
    As things turned out, someone else just won the eBay auction at $7150, about $1500 more than the Edmunds Used Car Appraiser (92 LS, 52K, Excellend cond, dealer retail) suggested would be reasonable, and $100 more than I'd bid before the auction ended. I'm split between bummed at losing the auction and glad that I didn't have to pay the premium. So I guess that's ok for today.

I asked the question here specifically because it looked to me like the Edmunds price was low, and I wanted a second opinion. Based on this one data point it looks like dealers can get premium pricing on really good examples.
    Wow, too bad you didn't get it. Good luck finding another one.

Sounds like the market answered your question, though ... even though it wasn't what you wanted to hear.
    Thanks!
  • 95_type_ii95_type_ii Member Posts: 1
    don't mean to sound like a hater but i find it hard to believe. i'm reffering to the fact that you say 1/4 mile time for type II 6-speed is 14.8. the book says 15.7 for 93 coupe type II. that is 1 sec difference which is a lifetime on a track. is that even possible?
  • kerstenkersten Member Posts: 12
    Hwello,
    I love the style of the Legend and I am considering buying a 91 Legend LS sedan for $5,000 with 72,000 miles, or a 94 Legend LS sedan with 65,000 @ $7,000.....Does anyone know about the differences between these two model years...things to check on, repairs?, engine problems or suspension changes?, etc....I have done a bit of homework on Edmunds and other sites, and the price seems fair....I was just trying to find a real person who has had some experience with either or both...Thanks!!
  • rumous2krumous2k Member Posts: 3
    I have for some time had great admiration for the acura legend, and was very happy when I picked one up at an auction. Its a 91 LS with 137 plus miles. It seems to run fine even with that high miles on it . The engine starts right up each time I crank it. Here are a few things/problems I have noticed wrong or cropped up with the car. (1) A blinking D4, which from reading this column I understand I have a sensor in the trans to replace. (2) I have no fan running inside the car, hence no heat, no a/c, no defrost, and (3) the security system is not working. Any help on finding a fix/cure for these problems will be highly appreciated.
    I am the same one that have message #608 above posted. I just forgot to mention that the factory radio in the vehicle is not working as the word "CODE" flashes when the radio is on.On the display for the heat/a/c there is no display or anything showing in the display space . It is the automatic type. Could the problem be a sensor,relay, fan etc, please help. Short of going to the dealer any help on solving the above problems would be sincerely appreciated.
  • moneymikemoneymike Member Posts: 1
    Could you elaborate on what sensor you had to replace for the blinking D4. I am having the same problem with my legend 91 LS with 214K...also the speedo hand is all over the place while driving the car.
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    The bliniking D4 is a bad VSS vehicle speed sensor that costs around $80 and is located by the oil filter. A easy DIY with a floorjack and some basic tools it's a male to female type plug in module. Change it asap becasue if affects the tranny shifts. The no fan sounds like a bad blower motor which is common but not alot. Best bet since it's big $$ new is to get one from a junk yard have it insalled. Will have to remove the glove box door to get to it. Have this done by an independent Honda/Acura shop who :confuse: 's worked on the Legend. Factory alarm is crap get a good aftermarket. Make sure to replace the electrical ignition wire since it will eventually crap out and the car won't start if you plan on a new alarm since they will cut into this wire I think around $60 bucks.
    I believe the flashing "CODE" on the radio simply means you need to enter the security code for the radio. Take the car back to the dealer and have them get the code for you. There are various ways to obtain the code ranging all the way down to simply reading the serial number off the radio and waiting for the dealer to fax it to get the security code for you. Makes you feel real secure right? That will at least give you music (?and climate controls?).

The suggestions about the VSS and squirrel cage blower motor are dead on. Had both problems in my Accord, both are user replaceable though the blower motor is fun to wrangle into position behind the glovebox. Might wanna let someone else deal with that. The VSS is absurdly easy, hardest part is getting to the bolts.

good luck!
  • charris1charris1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys I was recently on Autotrader.com and saw a 91 Legend L with 121,00 miles for $2500 that is was interested in,but isnt that kind of cheap? The web site said the vehicle has no problems but of course I would still have to check it out and isnt 121,000 like really high mileage? So do you guys think this is worth looking into? Im gonna post the link for you guys......
    Actually, 121K is pretty low miles for a fifteen-year-old car...

Once a car gets to be that age, it is all about the condition of that particular car.. If they are asking $2500, I would think that the car has problems or is showing it's age..

I wouldn't buy anything off of Autotrader, without making a trip to inspect it, first...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• mylegendmylegend Member Posts: 2
    1991 Acura Legend 4 DR--- How can you tell if it's your ignition switch or your main relay? They have similarities in troubleshooting the problem of why the car won't stay on after you try to start it and it kicks over? :confuse:
  • mylegendmylegend Member Posts: 2
    K, {1} ;) now the D4 light tends to blink off and on when I was driving and the speedometer would go nuts spinning all over the place. We noticed that when the cruise control was on, and this happened, it would shut it off right away. What causes this? :confuse:
    {2}Another thing, the gauge that tells you when your car is getting hot, a few times it went close to H in the red :shades: , than when we gunned the motor, it gradually went down. This happened when we were like in a fast food line or waiting awhile in traffic. Is it the thermostat sticking, cuz as quickly as it went up, it shot right back down!! WIERD!! ;) Owner of a 91 Acura Legend 4DR
    Sounds like it's time to have the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) checked and likely replaced. Also, if the car doesn't know it's own speed, Cruise isn't going to work obviously ;)

Legends are notorious for cooling problems, especially having to do with operation of the cooling fans. Best to have them and their electronic switches checked. Some owners have had to rig up manual switches, though I think thats a last ditch solution.

good luck!
  • edanceedance Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 Acura Legend with 86000 miles. (just a puppy) Does anyone know if there is a fuse in the air conditioner clutch line and where it is?
  • pm454pm454 Member Posts: 2
    About 6 months ago my son purchased this car w/ ~110k and in what I thought was excellent condition. Local Acura dealer went through it and I had timing belt, all hoses, and water pump replaced (never mentioned head gasket issues of course), dealer also resoldered fuel relay? connections (under dash) and said they needed it. THEN I happened on this forum and acura-legend.com after son complained of on/off heat, weird idle, etc. Read all the posts, checked all the things others had checked, dealt w/ the air-purging, and concluded the dreaded BHG had taken hold. Long story short, I swallowed hard, decided not to tackle myself and had the gaskets replaced by excellent local mechanic (Bruce Beard Automotive, Middletown RI) for reasonable sum. Both gaskets VERY worn, # 6 cylinder worst. She works flawlessly now and we're hoping for long life. My take is that these 100k+ vehicles will have this problem so expect it and be prepared to bite the bullet and get her done. The results ARE worth it. This car is quite a runner, not to mention gorgeous! :)
    So... what was the bill for that?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• marie_autrymarie_autry Member Posts: 1
    Just look on the bottom of your ash-tray that is where my code for my radio is located. Put the numbers in and the CODE you see displayed will disappear and your radio will work fine.
  • pm454pm454 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, didn't give all the details. I also replaced the radiator, thermostat, and cap also. The radiator, related parts, and hoses are from NAPA (a real copper radiator btw), the head gasket job cost ~$1700 which included having the heads checked (they were fine), etc. Acura dealer wanted $2500.
  • acurasmoothacurasmooth Member Posts: 1
    I rarely post messages to forums but had to acknowledge the value of this site. I purchased a 92 Legend LS with 233K miles, excellent interior for $1K. Engine runs very smooth. Had blinking 4, running hot, and intermittant loss of power while driving. Changed thermostat for heat problem, no BHG. One day car would start at all. Mechanics said replace fuel pump for $300. I didn't agree. Found this site. Removed Main Relay. Had it soldered for $15. Car fired up immediately. Will be getting a VSS for the blinking 4. Thanks for everyone's input.
  • 92legend92legend Member Posts: 2
    hey guys..maybe someone here can help....my 92 legend fans does not want to come on....when i first turn the keys to the on position. the fan will run for about a minute, but after that it will not go on even when the car is starting to overheat..except once in a while..i tried switching relays around to see if it was the relay but no luck...could it be the coolant temperature sensor not sending a signal or not sending it all the time...when i drive the car the temperature needle will rise and fall at the drop of a dime...please help :cry:
  • softailsoftail Member Posts: 3
    Just had that problem myself; Replaced battery and alarm behaved better. Check battery level first
    Agreed! No timing belt at 90K, no sale.
    Fix it. I had 215K on my 89 when it got stolen and stripped, ran like A clock (& looked good to boot)
  • oznawoznaw Member Posts: 5
    My 95 Acura Legend is overheating, changed therm and radiator...still overheats. anyone reslove a problem like this? Thanks. OZ
  • 92legend92legend Member Posts: 2
    probably blown head gasket...take to the dealer to have it check...instead of spending more money and problem may not even be resolved
  • dhackdhack Member Posts: 7
    Hello, I am new to this site. I am needing to know if the 92 acura legend came with the c32a type II engine. My head gaskets have went bad. I have 247,000 miles on it and i think i could put a motor in for about what it is going to cost me to get the head gaskets replaced. Thank you for your help.