Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura Legend

legend_racerlegend_racer Member Posts: 2
I own 3, and I am pretty damn happy with em, not
to mention I race them every once in a while. Min.
problems, even my '87 Legend that's coming up on
200k miles. I love the performance and ride, even
after putting in after-market springs. The 2nd
generation Legends, great mix of class and power.

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I have to admit that I like the older Legends too. Especially the 1989 and 1990 model. They looked better than the 1986-1988 models. The 2nd generation car was no looker, but I'm come to like it too, I once almost bought a 1994 as a 2nd car. They make a great used car now from about 15K, especially the LS models. I kind of wish Acura would drop this silly RL designation and go back to what people remember "Legend" and make the car just that, a Legend. I still can't believe they dropped the name, it has to be the silliest thing they've ever done.

M
  • legend_racerlegend_racer Member Posts: 2
    I really think that Honda made a mistake of dropping the Legend name badge. Even though they might bring it back in 02 or so, the styling will never be that of the Legend we all kno, remember and miss. I do know as a fact that the Legend name badge is still in use in europe, but still, its the 3.5 RL to us (basically it doesn't matter). I have test drove the RL, and frankly, I felt that the power just wasn't there. Extreamly underpowered. I think if I was to go at it in the 1/4 mile (the RL vs my 87 Legend w/ stock componets) I belive my old "crap [non-permissible content removed]" Legend would burn the RL like crazy. But overall, I like the RL as a compleate lux car. But the fun is just gone in the Legend/RL... same engine as the NSX, why doesn't Honda just give the RL the same power as the NSX (I mean that would make up for some of the loss).
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    I have been looking at a '91 Legend with 105,000 miles. It drives nice and is in acceptable condition (great outside and appropriately worn inside). What should I look out for? Thanks for the input.
  • thicks23thicks23 Member Posts: 42
    I own a Cobalt blue '91 Legend with 115,000 miles and it is still a great car. What kind of interior wear does it have? Are you buying from a dealer? The only things you should look out for are the timing belt and water pump. These should have been changed so get all maintenance records before you buy it.
  • xoaxoa Member Posts: 1
    I own a 90 Legend STD sedan for almost 4 years now. It has about 110k on it (I bought it with 47K). So far it had some eletrical problems (relay, alternator) and oxygen sensors has been replaced. Other than these, it has been a nice car. I started to appreciate it more after I drove some other cars (Altima, Tarrus, etc).
    Lately I feel the suspension is becoming weak (jumping a little too much on bumps), and is considering replacing the struts. I am not a car racer, just want to get a better handling. Could anyone who has done this give some suggestions on different options, eg. original parts, performance parts or generic parts (Monroe, Midas, etc)?

Thanks.
  • sbgat23sbgat23 Member Posts: 5
    I too own a 1990 Legend. It is a great car. I just had the suspension repleaced -- Struts etc. -- I had it done at the dealer and am pleased with the results. My experience with Midas et als is that on struts and brake work they are a little too sloppy and too generic for me and my car. Just my opinion as they say.
    By the way as a ringing endorsement of the 1990 Legend, I told the service manager at the dealership that I was thinking of trading it in or a new Acura and he told me not to, that rather than trading it in I should sell it to him since he felt the car has another goood 125,000 miles on it! Pretty impressive when the guy who services the car wants to buy it.
    My only real problem with the Legend is that it is strting to have lower panel rust problems and I just can't see the cost benefit of paying $2500+ on a car that has a street value of about 4000 - 5000.
    I was just wondering what kind of rust problems you're having because I just removed some rust from my '91 today using GS-27 scratch remover. I had minor rust on the front where the bumper meets the fender. I just rubbed the GS-27 on with a cloth and it removed the rust! I then painted the area with Acura touch-up paint and it isn't noticeable that I painted it until you get up close. Pretty good for $15 for the GS-27 and $5 for the touch-up paint.
    I am about to buy that 1991 Legend LS I mentioned above. I have been able to track down the previous owners and service records. At 105,000 miles, the timing belt and water pump have not been replaced, but the dealer will have those done for me. The car has spent most of its life in Greenville, SC (a no road salt or sea salt area). I have driven it for 20 miles or so, it seems to run well. The shifts seem rather hard. Is this normal? Otherwise everything seems solid. Is $8900 a fair price?
  • hawks4hawks4 Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 1990 Legend - 4Dr L series with 134,000 miles on it. I've thought seiously of trading it in on a new Acura TL but the service shop that does the routine maintenance on my Legend advises against trading it. With no ax to grind and a very objective analysis of my car, they say that the $4k I would get on a trade-in does not do justice to its true value. These folks think the Legend ('90 & older) was one of the best automobiles ever built. I certainly agree as this car has been extremely reliable and still runs like a new one. Bought it used in '92. Incidentally, does anyone know what the original MSRP was on the '90 Legend?
    smithed,
    It is normal for the transmission to be rather rough because for some reason it was made to be like that. Maybe the rough shifts help performance. $8900 is fair if it is in excellent condition and has all the maintenance done. I say go for it since these things last hundreds of thousands of miles when maintained properly.

hawks4,
    I believe the MSRP was probably close to $28k for a 1990 Legend L Sedan.
    Thicks 23, Hawks4

Thanks for your responses. I suspect that you are right about the reason feel of the shifts by the transmission. We drove it home tonight after the timing belt and water pump were replaced yesterday. It drives nice, straight and true, and I can't see too many sedans pulling away from this one. Lots of power.

Edwin Smith
  • rsiersrsiers Member Posts: 1
    After reading several of your comments, I would like to share my long time love affair with my 88 Acura legend. This car is 12 years old now and still runs like a sewing machine. I'll admit it is starting to get tired; but what car wouldn't at 277,000 miles!I hope this gives you confidence if you are shopping for a used Legend. I am considering buying a 94 Legend LS.Anybody have a good report on their's?
  • kmj1kmj1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1987 Acura Legend(bought it used). It is a great car but it has 120k and it is time to replace the timing belt. Also the oxygen sensors are not working properly. I am considering purchasing a new car, but after reading what believers you all are in Legends I am considering getting mine fixed. Any suggestions?
    An '87 with only 120k miles still has a lot of life left. Getting it fixed (timing belt and sensors) will cost about $500 depending on where you go. I got my timing belt changed at an independent mechanic for $300 and heard the oxygen sensors are about $50-$60 a piece. So it is up to you to decide if you love your Legend enough to spend $500 to fix it. Still that is a lot cheaper than buying a new car and Legends are great automobiles that last. In fact I've heard of '86s with nearly 400,000 miles on them. Good luck.
    I am starting to get a little concerned about my '91 Legend automatic. It has been making this strange metallic noise when I accelerate but not when I coast. The noise is almost like a combination of rattling, grinding and popping and is all have a metallic sound to them. It is louder outside of the car than it is inside and it also varies each time I drive the car. Sometimes it is unnoticeable even with the windows down and sometimes it is so loud that I can hear it clearly from the inside (at least without radio and a/c on). I am completely confused by this mysterious noise. Someone on another topic recommended using a fuel injector cleaner so I did but so far it hasn't worked. I am hoping this is not a transmission problem because if it is I might have to get rid of my dear old Legend. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • rsampson2rsampson2 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 94 Legend for 11k with 81k miles on it. The car is in excellent condition in and has normal wear on the inside. In fact the inside is better than I expected for a six year old car. The car is automatic and rides nice but there is sometimes a hesitiation when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. It may be just me getting used to the cars power (I have never driven anything with more than 4 cylinders)But considering that I got a great deal on the car I'm starting to wonder.Recently the hesitation has been far less noticeable. Does anyone have any information regarding a trend with trans problems with this car?
    The 1991 Legend I bought last week (see posts above) shifts abruptly compared to other cars (such as my Intrepid). I had some concern about that as I test drove it, but the other owners on this board assured me that it was made to shift that way, as a means of delivering more power. I guess you could say the shifting is done with more purpose.
    if you are squeezing into traffic using full throttle. That aggressive transmission can be scary. I had a scare a few weeks ago when I was merging on to the highway behind some slow people (going 45 trying to merge into 65mph traffic) and needed to gather speed quickly to get into traffic. I underestimated how much the car would surge forward when it shifted from 2nd to 3rd and I almost rear ended someone in the passing lane. I squeezed in between two sport-utes while my right foot was still down and at the same time it shifted shooting me right up to the rear bumper of the suv in front of me. So use caution when accelerating in traffic because 2nd generation Legends spring forward like crazy when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.
    OK, I will be advised to be aware.
  • gbesanagbesana Member Posts: 1
    I found a 92 Legend with 54,000 miles (1 owner) in great shape. Automatic, dark blue with grey leather interior. I drove it for a while, enjoyed the power and comfort.
    I am a little uneasy in buying an 8 year old car.....I'd appreciate opinions. it is priced at 12,000.

Thank you
    I think a '92 Legend with only 54,000 miles would be a great car. As I have said before on this topic, Legends will last a long time. I wouldn't worry about it being 8 years old considering it has the mileage of a car that is 3.5-4 years old. If it is in excellent condition inside and out, $12k is a good deal. I just priced out a '92 L w/leather for $14 on KBB so you're $2k under if the car is an L but $12k is about right if it is the STD model and an LS runs closer to $15k. I say go for it, having owned a '91 L I must say it is a wonderful car.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    MSRP prices on 1990 Legends:

base, 5-MT, no sunroof ............... 22,895
    base, 4-AT, sunroof .................. 24,580
    L, 5-MT, cloth, s.r. ................. 26,195
    L, 4-AT, leather, s.r. ............... 27,945
    LS, 5-MT, leather, s.r. .............. 29,905
    LS, 4-AT, leather, s.r. .............. 30,705

Hawaii price $150 lower, Alaska price $280 higher.

I used to have a 1991 LS. The MSRP was $34,200, an increase of $3,495 in one year! Probably due to the new engine, larger body size.
  • johnt11johnt11 Member Posts: 1
    I also am very happy with my 93 Legend. It has 151,000 miles on it and I have owned it since day 1. I runs well, but I have noticed an extreme amount of heat that radiates from the converter. The car's performance has slowed down a bit, requiring a bit more "right foot" to get it moving, but it still will perform. Has anyone noticed this before? Could it possibly be those Oxygen sensors going bad? Any help would be appreciated.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Very informative post. It's always interesting to see what cars costs way back when. The TL has taken the Legend's original price point, almost to the dollar.

M
  • chenry4chenry4 Member Posts: 4
    Great discussions and obvious loyalty to the Legend. I'm a second owner of a 1987 Legend L w/110K miles and it has performed flawlessly for my past 8 years/70K miles. Besides routine maintenance (inc. timing belt & water pump replacement at 85K - "why not the mechanic said, it's cheaper to do it now while I'm in there") only the muffler has needed replacing - a result of surviving it's formative years in the rustbelt. Shifting has always been especially firm (as noted by others) and not a drop of oil is burned by it's smooth revving 2.5L V6 engine. AND, having just relocated to the S.W. USA, I've had the extremely good fortune of finding a 1993 Legend LS, pearl white, w/21K miles (estate sale) - and it's got it all, including my $$$ as it sold at retail price - but worth it. I can't wait to experience the difference!
  • hangaralfhangaralf Member Posts: 7
    i am in a quandry - my wife is expecting a third child and i need a car that can potentially handle three kids in car seats - right now we have a 94 corolla and a 99 odyssey. the minivan is great, but there will be times when she will have all the kids and i have the minivan. i do alot of out of town driving i.e. - gone for a couple of days at a time, and generally i use the corolla, but i have taken the van on occasion for reasons to long to discuss. here's where you people come in. on a used lot near my house are two acuras - a 92 legend ls auto w/68,000 miles and 94 vigor gs auto w/ around 69k - both being offered at $12,500. both seem to be in really good shape - no rust and they seem to run well - both white for what that's worth - i have never dealt with the dealership before, but their cars always look impeccable (even the american ones).
    reliability is crucial. since, either i'm on the road or my wife has three kids w/ her. any ideas on which to take?
    i'm asking since you all made me fall in love with the acura legend and vigor
    Three kids? I'd take the Legend. The Vigor is a bit smaller in cabin capacity and "powered" by a five-cylinder engine instead of a proven V-6.
    I agree with prophet2, I would take the Legend. I just purchased the 93 mention in post #25 and so far no complaints, and absolutely none with the 87 I've owned for 7+ years. Don't know about the inline 5 cyl of the Vigor, but I did own an 83Audi 5000S and it just didn't seem to have the power you would expect - which right or wrong I attributed to only being a 5 banger. Retail blue book on the LS is $15,800 - sounds like a good deal.
  • rpgmpgdadrpgmpgdad Member Posts: 1
    As long as any Legend has been properly maintained you should have no concerns about buying. Bought '88 LS with 96K in '96 for son. Currently has 139K - bulletproof performance and service. Only normal maintenance required - had all receipts from original owner. Bought '94 6 spd. Coupe for myself with 54K. Drove it without a care for about 1 year when job forced sale. Worry about buying a '94 Legend with 54K on it? Please!
    If properly maintained (and they are relatively low maintenance cars compared to German) car will stay tight and go 300K without trouble. Looking at '88 for second son right now. Car has 120K with all service records - I have no concern whatsoever about its reliability and my son's using it to go back and forth to college. And the big benefit? He is 6'4" and the Legend is the only car we can find that gives him enough legroom when he drives. In our '00 V-6 Accord, with the seat all the way back, his knees hit the dash!!! In my experience, the Legend is the only car that offers tremendous legroom for tall drivers. I wish they still made them - one of the best cars of all time. What does my son say about his '88? Heroes are soon forgotten, but Legends never die. Acura needs to revive the Legend.
    Having bought the '91 Legend LS for my daughter to take to college, I know she has a better car than I do. The next car that I buy for myself will be a used Legend LS.
  • janecjanec Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying an 87 Acura Legend L Coupe with $85,000 miles. We're negotiating price but it will be in the $5000 range. Appears very well maintained. A new exhaust system and timing belt were installed, new tires. I understand I should be looking for potential rust issues and transmission problems. Are the tranny problems more in the automatic or the standard (this is an automatic? I am, of course, fearful of buying a car that is going to eat me out of house and home with repair costs. Are there issues with it being, what I believe was, the first year of this model (2nd?). I have to admit to otherwise thinking its a very happening vehicle for the price. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

jane
    The '87 coupe was the first year for that body style and 2.7L V6; the '86 was the sedan with a 2.5L V6. I bought one in 1987 and swapped it 17 months later for a minivan. I always missed that car and I eventually bought a used one in 3/97 for $4500 with 104K on the odometer. Car had been well-maintained with all service records. Timing belt and water pump replaced at around 90K, as per recommended schedule, AC compressor and evaporator replaced, tires in reasonable shape. All I needed were new front disc pads and muffler.

I have enjoyed this vehicle over the past 3-1/2 years, but I must warn you that ANY vehicle will show its age. A synopsis of the major repairs:

distributor shorted, new 7-year Delco battery installed, oil pan gasket replaced ........ $970

AC conversion to R-134; compressor/evaporator crapped out, found that the dealer had installed re-manufactured components and charged previous owner for new parts; problems with "re-man" parts, as AC has conked out numerous times over the past two years, all replaced under warranty .... $1100

automatic transmission overhauled at 145K; two engine mounts - 6/99; two-year warranty ... $3000

electronic module located under passenger seat shorted out because of water leak ......... $900

twin fans modules @ $394 and $376 (AC & radiator) for just the parts, installed .............. $900

brake master cylinder, front brake overhaul, new speedometer; dealer had nerve to charge me $75 for diagnostics after I told them what the problem was; they didn't have the parts in stock, so I had to bring the car back in three days - last time I ever used their service department ........ $1100

This totals $8000, not counting any regular maintenance, tires, another battery last month, and other assorted minor breakdowns.

These are only the "major" costs. I have 167K on it and it now runs like a charm, but the car has no trade-in value. There is a leak in the trunk through the tail light assembly, rust developing beneath the back glass (if the rust is repaired, the glass has to be removed - more expense), major rust in the back of the engine compartment in front of the windshield - that's where the water leaks into the passenger compartment.

Bodywork and paint to "cure" these problem areas and other rust (gas-filler cap area) will cost at least $2000 - simply not worth it. I'm keeping it as a "disaster" car for sunny days when other vehicles are in service.

I love these cars, but have to have it carefully inspected. No matter how well-maintained on the outside, here are things hidden from view which can lead it to be a perpetual money-pit.
    JANEC, what prophet2 says with the detailed list of operating costs, is that with any used car there is concern. But your asking is the best approach, because knowledge provides some comfort/security. If you want the car, then have a certified acura mechanic check it over, may cost a few $$ but may pay dividends in the long run. My '87 Legend L has 110K miles w/nary a problem, just routine maintenance, but no big ticket items to date (see #25 post). My automatic shifts very firmly, which most people are not accustomed to so it may be a little unsettling at first. Have a friend that's into cars look it over as well, never hurts s/he may see something you missed. Good luck!
  • ninjaflyninjafly Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at a 92 Acura Legend with 125,000 miles. I have been reading this thread and I feel a little more comfortable about even considering a car with that kind of mileage. The dealer is asking $8995. The credit union has the value listed as $6100 whlsale and $8200 retail. Internet sites I have looked at had the value higher, some up to 10K+. I plan to do a test drive today. If I get really serious I will have a mechanic look it over. I should check for things like timing belt and water pump and maybe transmission overhaul. My question, is this a good price and any other things to really check for?

P. S. 12mth 15,000 warranty available for $600 which seems to cover a good bit of stuff. Any thoughts on this!
    I paid $8900 for a '91 Legend LS (completely loaded) with 105,000 miles last month. Retail on Edmunds.com was about $9700. I think that I got a reasonable deal. The dealer replaced the water pump and timing belt before I picked it up. My daughter took it back to Clemson.

Go Tigers.
  • ninjaflyninjafly Member Posts: 2
    The Legend I am looking at is an LS, this raised the credit union valuation to 9550. My other credit union quoted 11,350. (See post 34) I test drove it and the ride was pretty nice but going from 1st to 2nd it does kinda jerk. Dealer said they can sell for $8500. I contacted former owner from records I found in glove compartment. He owned the vehicle for 8 years, has had timing belt and water pump changed. He had me verify this by calling the dealership. He traded it in to try the new Volvo S80 about 2 months ago. No major accidents, one fender bender. He said he hated his Range Rover but loved the Acura.

So far, this sounds like a good deal.
  • siriusgirlsiriusgirl Member Posts: 23
    Hello to whomever sees this. I need advice. I've read all the wonderful posts about how many miles the Legends can go. I bought a used 1994 Legend LS Coupe in 1998. One owner, 42K miles, installed radar detector. One month later, my company went on a plan where the car had to be less than 4 years old. I was given a grace period, but it's expiring in Nov. I can keep my car, but I won't get as much money for driving it as I would under the plan. It currently has a little over 85K on it, and I put about 15K- 20K on it a year.

I have had to replace the master cylinder(under warranty thank goodness) and the antenna mast and the radiator. Other than that, no problems. Warranty is running out.

Should I keep it or get a new car? I kind of wanted a car with more room to carry people, and considered an SUV, but thought again when I saw how expensive. Nothing has really sparked my interest, but I suppose I could find something if I have to. Considering the mileage it has and that I'll be putting on it for the return I'll be getting, and considering gas prices, is the Legend worth keeping?

Any comments will be appreciated.
    Will your higher return for driving a new car make it economically worth it to do so? That is all you need to consider. A new one is usually more reliable, but your Legend probably has 150,000 good miles in it, if properly maintained. I would keep it.
  • webbowebbo Member Posts: 2
    I have a 89 Legend L, manual transmission with 128K miles. I have recently been experiencing trouble starting the car after taking a short drive shutting off the car and then trying to restart the car. When it does this, if I let the car sit for 5-10 minutes, the car normally starts right up. Today I had to wait about 30 min. Weather when this happens is usually hot and humid. Do not believe the engine is flooded as I do not press on the accelerator when starting the car. Believe the trouble may be in the distributor. Has anybody else experienced this problem and if so what was the fix. Thank you for any assistance. P.Webb
  • inventor1inventor1 Member Posts: 1
    P.Webb - I have an '88 Legend L which exhibited exactly the same symptoms. The car wouldn't start and there was no apparent reason. Letting is sit would help sometimes, usually 5min to a couple hours. Seemed dependent on weather, but couldn't really tell. Thought it might be electrical so I checked the Battery, installed a new distributor and distributor cap, checked all the spark plug wires. All this didn't help this intermittent problem. I couldn't figure it out.

Then, while I was on a road trip, I noticed very light smoke coming from the steering column - but didn't think much of it. The next day, my wife was stranded on the hwy. My brother-in-law, a mechanic, found the problem...

The keyhole ignition switch!

Apparently, the switch had worn and the car wouldn't start, and/or stay running. The switch was very sensitive to the "on" and "start" positions. If the switch did not return or seat in the exact proper place - no juice.

I replaced the switch myself - which also comes with the wire harness - and haven't had any problems since.

I hope my 10 months of puzzlement and slow degradation might help you. I would suggest you check some of the same things I did, just in case. - John
    Thanks, smithed, for the response. After I posted that message, I thought about it more and then I checked my payoff balance. I think the company program is probably more beneficial if you have a car note or want to keep a car note going, but if you own the car then I don't think you come out ahead. So, I paid my car off! I'm going to keep the Legend because, as you said, it has a lot of miles left in it. If I do decide to get a new car, then mine still has a great resale value, as compared to my mom's Mark VIII, for instance, about $5000 more for same age car. Plus, I look good in it!!:)
    Forgot to add in my previous post that I experienced the same sort of trouble in a Datsun 510 station wagon. It was quite frustrating, but the answer was the same as what John said--the ignition switch, although I don't know for sure mine was in the keyhole (is there another one?).
  • webbowebbo Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help with the starting problem. Webbo
    I'm sure you wear the Legend well.
  • azsundevilazsundevil Member Posts: 2
    I would appreciate any insight into the 1993 Legend Coupe LS w/ automatic transmission. What is a "Type II", is the hp 230 (was told that the a/t's had only 200)? Should I keep looking for a 6-speed or is the performance of the a/t comparable? Is there anything in particular that I should be wary of? Thanks in advance!
  • legendownerlegendowner Member Posts: 10
    I have a 94 Legend LS with wind noise problem on the right front passenger door and have been to the dealer 3 times without a solution....has anyone experience any similar problems?
    I haven't had this problem on our Legend, but have on other cars. This is almost always an unsealed door. My solution on other lesser vehicles was to buy some self adhesive weather stripping and put it in likely places of the air leak. You can do this better yourself than the dealer, because you will take more time with it than will their technician. If the leak seems to be coming from the window/door interface rather than the door/door frame interface, you may need new tracking. Good luck.
    The automatic versions do have 230hp. You were told wrong. A 1993 six-speed coupe goes 0-60 in 6.3 seconds with the traction control turned off and 7.3 with it on (road and track, 1993). An automatic would be maybe half a second slower. I don't think there were any major problems with that model year coupe so you shouldn't worry about anything except for maintenance.
    I bought a 1994 Legend LS with the 6-speed manual. Maybe I really don't know how to get the most out of the transmission, but I find it's difficult to get a smooth acceleration in stop and go traffic -- if I really want to get going with no one in front of me, no problem, it blows doors off, but it seems to really take a lot of gas pedal to get it smooth in traffic. Also, it's a great car to be driving on the highway if you want to get around someone while traveling at 75 mph. Granted, I'm only a girl so I may not be driving it right (!) I know I tend to want to pop the clutch. Any tips would be appreciated.

My advice would be to buy the 1993 you are looking at, azsundevil. Be warned, though, my 1994 had to have the master cylinder and the radiator replaced last year.
    My jealousy has been rekindled. My daughter drove our '91 LS home from college last evening. I hadn't seen it in a month. What a nice car. What a great dad she has ;)