Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    What features does the LE offer standard/available that the S doesn't/can't have. What features does the S have that the LE doesn't/can't ? I already know about the black interior, steering wheel, and split rear seats. Thanks!
  • kbuikbui Member Posts: 15
    Considering the base price of the CE (before destination fees and options) is already $11,624, I think that $10,880 with the options you described is an excellent price. Did the dealer give you a reason why he's selling the car for so low a price, or did I misunderstand something?
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    The LE model has the heavy-duty rear window defogger, the trunk light, digital quartz clock...I believe the "S" model comes standard with fog lamps plus the features you mentioned...that's all that comes to mind...I have the LE - really like it alot!
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    If anyone here is familiar with Canadian pricing, and has a moment to spare..., can you please respond to jkbs2000's question in this Women's Auto Board discussion: Toyota Corolla - Your Opinion On My Offer Price. Thanks! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

The S has a digital clock doesn't it? I'm pretty sure. Does the heavy duty defogger not come in one of those weather packages?
  • doismilldoismill Member Posts: 6
    I think your right, the heavy duty defogger comes with that weather package.
    Thanks!
    Yes, I think you are right - it does come with the clock - I was just trying to remember what I read in my brochure months back - Toyota's website will give you all the specifics - Toyota.com - a friend of mine is considering the "S" model - very cool car!
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I believe you posted a while ago that you had modified your Corolla to boost it up to 220hp. What are your mods?

Thanks!
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Given that Toyota has dropped the CE trim for the 2002 Camry, I wonder if Toyota will do the same when the next generation Corolla hits our shores. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    No, because there is no "XLE" equivalent in the Corolla lineup. There will always be at least two or three trim levels available, as this is what the market demands. If LE is the top, something has to be the entry level. You can call it whatever you want, but this is the way they have always done it, and will in the future, as well.
  • gsbhasingsbhasin Member Posts: 21
    I didn't do anything to get such a great deal getting the car for $10,880 in South California. They have a one at this price specials in the Friday newspapers. All you have to do is take that insert and go to that dealer who put that advertisement.

Some dealers wont sell you at that price because they want to finance you and sell other accesories and make money on them too. They show you the car and sense you not buying accessories and then say 'Well somebody who looked at it before you, just signed the papers'.

And another catch in this kind of special is that you MAY not get the color of your choice. You get just that advertised car. I was lucky to get black color. Also you mostly cannot add other features like ABS brakes or side airbags etc. though dealers would be happy to add alarms or extra warranty (u dont need that on a Corolla , though)
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    Actually,an alarm is a good choice for a Corolla considering it is one of the most stolen cars.
  • ata3001ata3001 Member Posts: 30
    Just returned home from a 1300 mile trip thru the Pocono Mt. area of Pennsylvania. Two adults with luggage. Roads are mostly 2 lane & very hilly. Lots of in town driving & sight-seeing looking for photo-ops (photography is my hobby). Averaged 43 MPG for entire trip with a high of 47 MPG for one tank. The lowest I averaged for one tank was 39 MPG. Not too shabby. The cheapest part of the entire trip was the gas! The car ran flawlessly. :-) :-)
  • zhzzhz Member Posts: 29
    If you're getting CE AUTO, it's an "Advanced" 3sp auto.
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    I just purchased an Indigo Blue 2002 Corolla S (5 speed with CD, Value Package#2, heavy duty defroster, cold weather package, tilt/cruise, mats, etc. for $13,500 after rebate.) I didn't start out the day planning on buying the car, but with the Edmunds TMV printout I had for the car, the price with the options didn't sound bad at all. The dealer was also eager to make a sale during their labor day push. Generally I'm very pleased with the new car. I like the way it looks, even the S model plastic wheel covers look way better than the CEs. The way the fog lights are integrated into the front looks really sharp. But I did note that the S didn't have folding rear seats. Just how much did Toyota save by not putting in the folding seats. Also, the seat fabrics are a little on the hard (and thin) side. I just wonder how long these will last.

But my primary question concerns the first oil change. Is there a proper breakin period before you perform the first oil change on the Corolla? Is 3000 miles too soon for it? Some manufacturers (Honda for one) uses special breakin oil and recommends against performing an oil change before 7500 miles. Please advise. Thanks.
    I have a '01 Corolla LE (mystic teal) that I purchased back in March - my salesman recommended getting the first oil change at 3000 miles - he said that they no longer use a "break-in" oil - well, after 3 months I didn't have 3000 miles on my car - only about 1950 - so I went ahead and got the oil changed (it was free so what the heck) - I got alot of differing responses on this question about the first oil change for a new car - my husband insisted that the oil would have tiny flecks of metal in it since the engine was new and told me not to wait until 3000 miles - others said that the engines were pretty much broken in at the factory - anyway, I don't think 3000 miles for the first change for a new car is too soon, but since I only put about 500-600 miles on my car a month and I do mostly city driving, getting it changed after 3 months seemed like a good idea - you can find alot of info about the Corolla at corolland.com - you're going to love your car - I am getting a little over 30 MPG with my 4-speed automatic - really am impressed with it so far!
  • silver2002ssilver2002s Member Posts: 2
    Have had my 2002 Silver Corolla S for a month now. First time Toyota buyer. Very happy so far. (But after reading some posts, I'm wondering if I, too, suffer from a noise over the gauge panel on rough streets at over 35 mph.) Except for a possible problem here (?), I'm completely enamored. Had to get rid of the '88 Honda Civic and after a pep talk from a friend at Nummi (which makes the Corolla and Prizms here in California), I took the plunge. Glad I did. Sweet set of wheels. Love the red instrument lights.

Here are particulars and cost:

2002 Silver S
    -air
    -tilt wheel/cruise
    -auto windows/doors
    -cassette (no cd player)

$14,000 before tax/license

Almost got an Echo, sure glad I didn't! Your posts have all been very helpful, thanks!

P.S. Is waxing once every two weeks too much? ;-)
    I also had a Honda Civic before my new Corolla - mine was a '86 Hatchback, had it 14 1/2 years! - it was a very good car and I never dreamed I would buy anything other than another Civic until I test-drove the Corolla - the Toyota people gave me a better deal than the Honda people were willing to do too - I am still a fan of Hondas, but I am really happy with my Corolla...no rattles or noises or anything so far - about waxing, I wax mine about every 6-8 weeks - if yours is kept outdoors I think waxing it about once a month is OK - how often do you wash it?
  • silver2002ssilver2002s Member Posts: 2
    I thought the same re: my Civic! Loved it. Was a great car, beyond reliable. (I checked out Corollas then, too, and wasn't as impressed.)

Honda couldn't do the same for me this time around, price-wise.

The Corolla is a smoother, sweeter ride than it was way back when.

Oh, I've washed the "S" once a week since the purchase in late July. Sure cleans up nice!
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    I noticed above posts didn't get ABS, i'm looking for a car for my son (16 and his first car) looking at a 98 corolla. should i get the abs (i guess 40% had abs with auto, rare with 5 sp). What do you think. My gut says yes, but....... i can find more even 5sp (my preference) without it. should i hold out
    Also, what does routine maintainance suggest after 50k miles? most cars aren't expensive till about 60k or increments of 30k miles, what $$$$ should i expect after 50K miles. Is there a mileage number that's particularly expensive, and therefore when i buy used make sure it was done?
  • liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    I don't think 40% of Corolla with auto transmission comes with ABS. ABS remain a "premium" feature for a compact car such as corolla. Auto will always have better resale value and easier to sell when it times for a newer car, so you might consider that advantage.
    Toyota routine maintenance follows a 15K and 30K schedule. Personally, after 50K mile, I'll probably need a new tire, check/change the transmission fluid at 60K mile, tune-up, and some brakes job as well if needed. The timing chain should be fine until 90K if not longer.
    I looked at the maintenance schedule of my 2002 corolla, and it doesn't mention the timing chain service at all? What's the deal with it, and what does Toyota say about replacing the chain?
  • flootfloot Member Posts: 22
    Did your $13.6 out-the-door price for your 2002 Corolla CE include the $500 customer cash as part of a down payment? I talked to a dealer in these parts who has a 2002 Corolla CE 5-speed with Value Package #1, ToyoGuard "protection", rear window defroster,and carpet mats. They want $14,200 out-the-door with the $750 customer cash included in that figure as down payment. That sounds way too high to me!!

If I can get the Honda Civic I just test drove out of my system, I may be headed to Toyota of Durham after all!
    Thanks!
    ...doesn't need any "routine maintenance". Typically, you wait for it to get noisy enough [don't worry, you'll know] to open up the engine to replace either the tensioner or the chain or both. With the Germans, this event doesn't happen until well over 120k miles [200k kms], and with Toyota, who knows? Anyway, it's not something to worry about, which was the whole point about switching from the belt in the first place.
    You can do better than $14,200 for a CE, much better. Read a few messges back about my 2002 Corolla S which I got for $13,500 including the $500 rebate. I wasn't even trying very hard to bargain for this price. I probably could've gotten them down a couple hundred dollars more if I'd stick it out an hour more, but I had screaming kids with me and it was 3 hours before I got out of the dealer with my car.
  • montanafishermmontanafisherm Member Posts: 17
    I have read the last 100 or so posts and didn't see any reference to this. If it's already been covered, I apologize, but does Toyota make the Corolla in two-toned versions for 2002? Has anyone actually seen one in two-tone. In the Toyota website,"Build your own" section, it shows a variety of two-toned models but in searching the Southeast dealer sites (several hundred vehicles) I can't find a single one. All information or opinions appreciated.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Well I'm in the western region and I've never heard of two tone paint on a corolla. I checked the Toyota.com website and it is not an option. Perhaps you are looking at the dark shadow they seem to have on each color on the side of the car as two tone. It isn't.
    Desertguy,No, it's not shadows. I went to toyota.com, then Shop Toyota, then to Build your own, then put in my zip code and selected Corolla.That brought up a chart and pictures of the three Corolla choices at the top. Click on the picture of the LE and it brings up another page. On that page click on "Start from scratch" and another page will come up. On this page you can select Model, Exterior color, Interior color, Accessories ect. On the left hand side of the page, click on Exterior color and look at the center column. It will show eight solid colors and below that it will show nine two-tone colors (scroll down). When you click on one of the two-tone colors, the Corolla at the top of the page becomes that (those) colors. It takes it a few seconds, but it's really cool. The two tones are some kind of outstanding. If you have a chance please give it a try and let me know if you get the same results.
    Thanks, montanafisherm
    It must be a regional thing. I even printed your very detailed instructions and don't even get the same screens you get. No "start from scratch" for instance and no three Corolla pictures. I know that there are some very definite regional differences/accessories that can't be obtain in a different region. Sorry I doubted your eyesite:)
    Thanks for trying. I have checked the brochure on the Corolla and it only shows solid colors so it must be some type of quark in the set up of the computer site. Evidently two-tones are not available but the pictures sure look great on the computer.
    Very sharp. Thanks for the website. I would bet this IS available in the right zone. I got estimates on two tonning my Camry (like a Lexus ES300 and it would run $1000. So, the $349 price tag is a bargin.
  • medardmedard Member Posts: 12
    Can someone reminds me which year does the corolla starts using timing chain instead of timing belt? 1998 or 1999?
    The new all-aluminum engine began life in the new body for the '98 model year. It has since been refined a couple of ways. And the scaled-up version of same is the standard engine in the new Camry, incidentally.
    floot - sorry for the late response, but I haven't checked this board for a few days. The answer to your question is "yes", it was $13,6K for a 2002 CE after the $500 customer rebate (i.e., I would have had to pay $14.1K if there were no rebate). Again, the $13.6K was out-the-door, and my car had the exact same options as the ones you described. Let me know if you go to Toyota of Durham and I'll give you the name of the salesman I dealt with (he's professional and doesn't waste your time).

dave594 - was your $13.5K for a 2002 S an "out-the-door" price, or did you have to add tax, tags & license fees (TTL) to it? If that included TTL then you got a really good deal. May I ask in what part of the country you are? floot and I are both in central and eastern NC. Market conditions dictate the price of cars, although I can't imagine the market for Corollas being that different from state to state... You see those cars everywhere.
  • arvi1arvi1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought this 92 Corolla with 113000 miles about an year and a half ago and have now 125000 miles on it. About 4 weeks ago, the crankshaft pulley started wobbling and I took it to a mechanic. He said the cranshaft bolt is loose and so he tightened it. Three weeks later, it again started making noise, wobbling and finnaly fell off when I started the engine in a parking lot. The crankshaft bolt had its head broken with the remaining piece inside the hole. The key was broken into half. This time I took it to Toyota dealer only to find that the crankshaft keyway has been so damaged that either the crankshaft or the engine has to be replaced or sell the car to a junk yard.

I never expected this to happen to a Toyota. I tried to research why this happened to my car. One of the potential reasons that I suspected was overtightening of drive belts. I had my alternator replaced by a roadside mechanic who did the job when my car was stuck on a road with burnt alternator. Most probably he overtightened the drive belts which caused excessive pressure on the crankshaft resulting in a fatigue failure.

Has anybody come across this type of situation? Like to share your experience? or Am I the first? Can anyone tell me why this happens and if my suspicion is logical?
    Unfortunately, the folks who want $14.2 out-the-door (including $750 rebate) have the only 5-speed in a 50 mile radius (gotta have a manual).
    I have e-mailed the local dealership three times
    about a manual CE and received no response. Can I e-mail you and ask you the name of the salesman you dealt with (if you don't want to post publicly)?

I sure do like the reliability, gas mileage, and engine pep in the Corolla. I also test drove a Honda Civic EX and really liked the layout of the interior. Plus it has fold-down rear seats and intermittent wipers -- nice touches. However, I can't afford an EX & need to test-drive a DX to be looking at one in my price range. Basically have ruled out the Protege because of the gas mileage, although the Protege board seems like a perpetual party -- those guys love their cars!

Hope you are enjoying your Corolla!
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    just wondering if anyone know of any sites on the internet with information for 2003 corolla. i know the 2003 will have a new look and i'm saving up for one, so i just want to get some info! :)
    floot, pls email me at kbui@att.net - I am reluctant to post any 3rd-party name on a public site.
    With the increase in the customer rebate (now $750 instead of $500) and all other things being equal, you should be able to get a 2002 CE, with the options you described in your previous post, for around $13K out-the-door if you negotiate hard. With the recent tragic events in NYC and Washington DC, I think consumer spending is *really* going to slow down; that means fewer people buying cars, and so you'll probably have even better negotiating leverage.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    They say gas prices in some area can reach as high as $5 a gallon. The reasoning behind it is some sort of regain in economic balance. I truly don't understand the logic behind it, but that's what the news said...
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    The government is trying to

prevent

it, not enforce it.

http://www.nypost.com/apstories/V1209.htm

• truckdude1truckdude1 Member Posts: 88
    Hi, how much would you pay for a 1993-1996 Toyota Corolla with maybe 70,000-100,000 miles on it? We are looking for a car for my son. We dont want to spend too much. Would a Corolla with this many miles still be reliable enough for two or three years? What type of condition would it be in, would the automatic transmission be a high worry of going out or would it last. Please help us out on this . Thanks
    By the way hows your Corolla's running especially the older ones 93-00 and how many miles , are they reliable?? thanks
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    A 1972 Corolla would be reliable if it was taken care of. Same goes for any 93 up model.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    My 95 Corolla has 110K. I would probably put a value of 5000 on it.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    My car now has 53k and it has been very reliable! I had a brake job done at 47k on both the front and the rears and last week had my rotors resurfaced. Besides 2 sets of tires and oil changes every 3k-4k miles, this car is great! My last Corolla lasted 10 years. Go buy one, it's a great car!
    I have a 1996 Corolla STD (3 speed auto tranny) sedan that I purchased last year from a used car dealership. It was an off-lease vehicle and now has appx. 45,000 miles on it. All I have done is routine maintenance. Great little car -- I don't think you can go wrong with a used Corolla that has been taken care of. Good luck!
  • mpynempyne Member Posts: 120
    you might want to check the geo prizm. they are 99% the same car under the geo(gm) name. check autotrader.com they have allot listed there.
    The $13,500 price I quoted was before TTL. With the options, the car (2002 Corolla S) came just a tad under Edmunds' TMV. I'm pretty happy with the car and the price I paid. I think I could have gotten another couple of hundred lower if I was willing to dicker for another hour or so, but I had two kids with me and it was wearing them out. BTW, I'm in the Washington DC area, not especially noted for car deals. Toyotas are perpetually hot here, so I didn't think I was going to get much of a break.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    This is a picture of the 2002 Corolla in Japan it is supposed to come here for the 2003 model year.

http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/exterior/images/ex03_svg.jpg

This is the wagon version - which looks great, but will probably not make it here because we will have the rather strange looking matrix.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaFielder/exterior/images/ex01_svg.jpg

Enjoy