Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    Does the AC automatically come on when you turn on the window defroster or the combo defroster/heater setting? I noticed that when I used that, I get condensation dripping from under the hood after I park the car. I didn't know the AC was on, since the AC light didn't come on. Can anyone shed light on this?
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    yes, the compressor comes on automatically in that mode. The 2000 Corolla's light came on automatically, but not in the 2001. Odd.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Does anyone know if we will be getting the European Corolla or the Japanese Corolla? I'm rooting for the Japanese one.
  • iontrapiontrap Member Posts: 139
    Where in the engine compartment of my 99 Corolla do I find the AC compressor? I have a clogged drain line that needs to be cleared.
  • dadx4dadx4 Member Posts: 11
    Just wondering if any updates on the new Corolla. Is it still coming out in the US in Feb 02? I have a 97 Camry and a 01 Camry and want to replace the 97 in Feb or March next year. Would like a good mpg commuter car for work (45 round trip) and the 01 Corolla spec at 38 mpg looks good.

I found the information on the Corolla Altis at Toyota of the Phillipines. It looks sharp. Is this what they are going to bring here? Anyone know?

www.corollaaltis.com/index.html, whi
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Well Toyota knows but they aren't saying yet. The body style won't make much difference for an economical commuter car. The engine will. I would bet they stick with the latest VVT four. I have a 2002 and it is extremely peppy and I get and honest 44 mpg on my 90 mile round trip commute which is all freeway. I must add that I have a stick.
  • truckdude1truckdude1 Member Posts: 88
    We still have not bought our son a car. We are really looking at a Camry LE OR CE , as he is 6'2 tall and doesn't much like the Corolla. All we can afford to finance is 11,000 $ and the only camry we want is AFTER 1997-2001, is there any STILL RELIABLE running camrys this new for 11,000 ? We wonder if a Camry with 80,000 miles is still new enough to drive 30 miles a day and last for the next five years, and what kind of maintance will this car need? Are the transmissions long lasting we already have a small Civc and dont prefer a Corolla, so HELP about Camry's do the dealers sell them for about 10thousand used any? and what should we expect the engines to run to, thanks so much!
    Truckdude1-
  • dadx4dadx4 Member Posts: 11
    desertguy:

I am interested in an auto as the wife does not care for sticks. I see that the Toyota Matrix on the United Kingdom sites has a wheelbase of 102 inches and it states it is based on the new gen Corolla. Also, the Altis seems to be 102 wheelbase as it works out to that when you convert the mm specs to inches from the Toyota of the Philippines site. I hope they used a couple of those inches for rear leg room.

Anyone know of any site where mpg info on the Altis is posted? For various engines and trans.
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    the corolla altis is a beautiful car - with the 1.8

we may or may not get that look. more people seem to think we'll (north america) will the get the japanese version which looks more like a bigger echo.

read somewhere that 2003 corolla may be out as early as spring 2002.

http://www.motorista.com.ph/roadtest/review_coraltis01.html

http://www.altis.com.my/

• medardmedard Member Posts: 12
    I wonder if anyone knows what are the required 30K/60K/90K maintence on a 1999 Corolla? Thanks.

Medard
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    My local paper (Minneapolis Star-Tribune) had a brief article on the 2003 Corolla today. They had a picture, but it was of the 2002 model. :-( The good news is that they said it will have an all-new body, chassis, and interior, and it will start selling in the U.S. this February. No surprises there. The bad news is that they said the engine would be the same 1.8L unit as in the current model. I'd be surprised if that happens, given the availability of the new 145hp 1.8L engine and the fact that most competitors offer more than the current model's 125 horses. Or maybe they'll offer the 125hp unit in the base models and the more powerful engine in the Sport model--that would make sense.
    Does anyone know where the Japanese Corolla was styled at? Was it at CALTY? Where was the Euro Corolla styled?
  • kingwkingw Member Posts: 6
    My mom is determined to get a 2001 Corolla CE. She's thrifty. My question for you all is do you know anything about the longevity/reliability/efficiency of the 3 spd transmission that comes standard in the CE, compared to the 4 spd transmission that is standard in the LE? Any Toyota mechanics out there? I would appreciate input.

Thanks
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The 3 speed transmission is a bad compromise. Though cheaper initially, it will cost your mother money long-term. Its highest gear is not as high as is the 4, which means more stress on the engine, lower fuel economy, and, most importantly TO ME, more noise. The 4 speed is a LOT quieter. It should tell you something that virtually no other manufacturer (other than the Koreans) even offers a three speed automatic any more, and many luxury imports are going to SIX speed automatics.

In fact, MY mother's Corolla (actually a Geo Prizm but the same car) has the four speed and I STILL find myself trying to make sure it IS actually in overdrive. Even the 4's gearing could be a bit higher for the expressway, but the three is actually quite annoying.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I agree with the previous poster - talk your mom into the 4-speed - that's what I have - all of the articles and reviews I read on the Corolla (my is a '01) recommended the 4-speed over the 3-speed - I get between 30 -32 MPG in the city using 89 octane -
    4spd auto is definitely better than 3 spd.
    less wear and less noise. to people who dont drive on highways, it's ok. i personally prefer 4spd or anything higher.
  • cdguycdguy Member Posts: 7
    The 4 speed is the way to go. It is worth the extra money for sure. They seem to hold up better than the 3 speeds too.
  • dsgechodsgecho Member Posts: 89
    Any opinions on this price thru an auto wholesaler for a 2001 LE, PW,PL,power mirrors, AC,CC AM/FM/Cass/6-changer CD with 9600 miles on it? Carfax gives it a clean bill of health and says it had a single, private owner. Red color[not bad but not first choice on that one],car appears in excellent shape. Dealer appears ok or at least conceals his criminal background very well.Would get car checked out @Toyo dealer first but I suspect there is not a lot to discover. Anyway, this looks very good to me and car is probably worth 12500 to 13000 or so.
    Dealer lists it for 11400 and I bet he will take 11000 or so. Any opinions or suggestions are welcome!!
    Don
  • kingwkingw Member Posts: 6
    Thanks everyone for your input. My gut said 4 spd, but I really needed more than just that to go by. Thanks all...
    If you can get it for $11,000 I think that's a very good deal - I have a '01 LE and I love it!
  • winmanzwinmanz Member Posts: 6
    I believe this is what the new 2003 US version Corolla will look like. I was hoping that it will be like the Euro version but the design is more along the line of the new Camry.

http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_031629

i think that is the same as the corolla altis
    Looks like it. I hope it's not the one that North America is getting.
    We can't call the Corolla Altis the European Corolla anymore. I just discovered something some might already know, but the British 4 door sedan is the Japanese model. I still really like it. :-)

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/frame_start.jsp?id=NG+Corolla

Scroll down to the photo.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Seriously, if that (from the Popular Mechanics website) is our Corolla, Toyota better be giving them away. The Altis so much more attractive, what the hell are they thinking? Usually, I'd give a design a chance, but sweet God, I almost wretched right here on the keyboard. Can this please not be true???????
    ~alpha
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Just look that Wieck photo released by Toyota USA as a "sneak preview". And go to corollaaltis.com to get a complete look. There's no ifs, ands, buts about it, that's the one we're getting.
    is there a link on the internet for this preview from toyota usa? i thought the pix from popular mechanics would be it. ohh well...
    You better be wrong! Corolla Altis has headlamps that try to take on too many shapes like the icky new Sonata. The back looks too much like the current Corolla...copying an old design would be too Honda-like. Strager, how do you know this? Any links you have for us?
    I just realized that the Altis has that Avalon style headlamp where a smaller light area near the grille opens up to a larger area farther out. Goodness, you'd think that Toyota would want some of their cars to be a little unique.
    Although there isn't a specific link from Toyota USA, the picture on Wieck was released on the same day that Toyota USA announced that they would unveil the 2003 Corolla at the Detroit auto show. See post 1173 above for the Wieck photo. Toyota USA usually releases a "sneak preview" type picture before the actual unveiling, that's why there is just the view of the front.

If you compare the current 2002 Corolla with the Wieck 2003 photo(same as Corolla Altis), you can see the design evolution from the 2002 to the 2003 for the front and rear lights. They could have made it more stylish to attract the younger crowd, but I guess they don't want to alienate the over 45 typical Corolla buyer.
    that makes me want to say a few choice words.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Toyota made the 2002 Camry more stylish and "sportier" to attract a younger market--why not the Corolla? In fact, it would make more sense for Toyota to attract a younger market with the lower-priced Corolla than with the Camry.

Personally I don't see all that many people over 45 driving Corollas in my town. I'd guess that the average age is closer to 25.
    Toyota itself admits that the average age of the Corolla buyer is in the mid 40s. If I were the Corolla designer, I'd say let's forget about the 40+ crowd and design the 2003 model as a Civic killer, to really attract the under 30 crowd. But Toyota is too conservative a company to do that.
    So I guess I am alone in representing the younger crowd here (I'm 20) and I think the Corolla, the Altis version, at least is very attractive.
    Strager: the Corolla (the current design) is already very close to the Civic in terms of sales, so why completely risk alienating the current owner base of 40 year olds to attract younger ones when the payoff may back-fire. I absolutely HATE the Japanese version of the Corolla that was posted here in a link to Popular Mechanics website. HIDEOUS.
    Toyota tried, and failed, to meet the younger crowd with its misshapen ECHO. Perhaps they found this out: Distinct doesnt mean success.
    Give me the 145hp 1.8L Altis, a 5sp transmission, decent rims, decent suspension, and ABS and watch me fly by the cops on I-80 as they pull over that burnt orange 02 Civic Si.
    ~alpha01
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    that PM pic of the 2003 looks a lot like the Echo. I'm glad I got the 2002.
    Just FYI, I trail you by 4 years and like the Japanese Corolla however I have been warming up to the Corolla Altis. I still think its rear looks too much like the current one.
    for anyone interested, you can view pictures of different corollas at these sites as well as performance products.

have fun! :)

www.corollaperformance.com
    www.cthreeracing.com
    according this the link below, this will be the 2003 corolla for north america.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/011213-1.htm

It's a sad fact, we are getting Corolla Altis.
  • dsgechodsgecho Member Posts: 89
    Had to drive a 2002 CE while waiting for my ECHO to have AC added. Not a bad car, I guess,but that 3-speed tranny really beats you up on the hiway at speed. That version is the "Crudolla" IMHO.Drove a loaded 2001 LE and what a difference.Having driven an echo, and test driven civic, focus, and protege in the last few months, I keep coming back to the current Corolla as a better choice than any of these for various reasons. Some of the cars may have somewhat better safety ratings but w/a 4-spd. trans. the Crudolla is really a very nice, quiet car!Room not an issue at 5' 7" but see how it could be for 6 footers.Lots of features all packed in there and relatively refined thru making a lot of them.Other car is a Prius with lots of differences I won't get into, but the Corolla is a fine alternative to the Prius and good mpg's also- bet I can get low 40's on the hiway. Ended up trading in the echo for the LE which had final price of $11,000 @9700 mi. I like it!
    Don
    Nashville TN
    The Corolla Altis is a wise choice to bring to these shores, as opposed to the vulgar, disgusting Corollaecho sold overseas. Nice work, Toyota.
    ~alpha
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Maybe the aesthetic taste is different across the ocean, because a car like the Toyota Corolla Runx would be considered handsome (and the sales # would prove it). I think it looks a lot like one of the cars from Renault.

http://auto.ascii24.com/auto24/e/2001/0124/e36npr_ks0124_01.html

the Corolla LE - a wise choice indeed - I've had my '01 since March - it has been perfect - great gas mileage with the 4-speed auto - between 30-32 in the city using 89 octane - I'm 5'7" so the interior is fine for me - love the car
    i think the altis looks better than the japanese corolla which looks like a big echo.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Well the Japanese Corolla is much more well proportioned than the Echo!

I like its look though, it's not the best-looking compact sedan (I think the little Hyundai Accent takes that prize), but it's a fresh face in the crowd. Quite frankly, I'm just darned sick of looking at so many Civics and Focuses (Foci?) on the road, and the current Corolla resembles the last gen. Altima a bit from the front.

But if we get the Altis...what can I say, the headlights look like last gen. Hyundai Elantra.
    far from it I think.
  • cmu007cmu007 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone got your Automatic transmission fluid changed? When should I change it(36K,48k or 60k)?
    Thank you in advance.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I did mine at 30k miles. Might have been a bit premature but would rather be safe than sorry.