Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    One of the reasons for DTRLs is to improve visibility in marginal conditions, when too many people forget to turn on their headlights. Saying you should kiss off silver as a color because it is hard to see in the rain means what...we should all drive yellow cars?
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    The last two posts make important safety points. A silver car IS hard to see on rainy days. I know, I hit a silver car once for that reason. It just blended into the road / background. People driving silver type cars on overcast days will significantly improve their visability to other cars by driving with their lights on.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    I was referring to the 02 and earlier models where they don't. Glad to see that the 03s do.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I have to agree with glenglen about silver cars - while it is one of the best colors in terms of hiding scratches, etc - it is in the same color family as asphalt - white is a good choice because a white car is easier to see at night -
  • lfanlfan Member Posts: 61
    Since this is a Corolla forum, I will try not to stray too far off topic.

DTRL's and auto-on evening feature are standard on '03 Corollas. I agree with jrct9454 that headlights on greatly assists other drivers in seeing your car in all conditions. So perhaps these features may sway people towards the Corolla if safety is a high priority.

As for colors, I believe potential safety associated with selecting bolder, more contrasting colors is pretty low on people's decision criteria. I suspect most people regard color as a aesthetic preference decision.

Again, agreeing with jrct9454, I am not sure I want my cars in "Egg Yolk Yellow".
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Went to the dealer today and there were 2 LEs in the back lot that I looked at. One was a lunar mist the other was moon shadow I think. They looked great!
  • glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    I advised on NOT getting silver, which means ANY other color would be OK. Yellow isn't the only color that is NOT silver. If the color of pavement were sky blue, I would advise against getting a sky blue colored car.

And for those who think that headlights equalize, things on overcast or rainy days, not entirely. Headlights will make a silver car more visible, but still not as visible as a NON-silver colored car with its headlights on.

And mystic teal,(the color of my '98 Corolla), is the coolest of colors for a Corolla (wink, wink).
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    if you live in a state that gets snow in the winter, like Minnesota. Nor black, as some roads are black. Or grey of course, since some roads (and the sky sometimes) are grey. But the sky is blue sometimes, so blue is not a good idea. Green is out too, since it could blend into hillsides. As could beige, when the grass is brown. Red of course attracts the police like a magnet, so that's not too good either. Yellow is the color of lemons, and no one wants people to think of his/her car as a lemon. Purple/plum is not bad, except in years like this one when the Vikes stunk and your car reminds you of that all year. (Besides, how many cars come in purple?)

I guess that leaves mystic teal. ;-)
    After much self reflection on this issue, I agree Mystic Teal is the most prudent choice. I was going to suggest day glow colors for ultimate visibility but then realized the glare may blind other drivers. We would not want that to happen now would we?

(Here's the staying on topic portion of the post.)
    I saw 5-6 Corollas of varying colors parked next to each other at the dealer lot today. I think I am still happy with my lunar mist metallic (silver) choice.
    My car is mystic teal - and while I think it is a beautiful color - I have vowed not to get another dark-colored car - and it's not just because it shows dirt easily - it's the fine micro-scratches that are more visisble on dark-colored cars - my old Honda was a gold-beige color - a great color choice - it never looked dirty and did a pretty good job of hiding scratches and other imperfections...but after driving it for over 14 years I was ready for a darker color - I have seen the Corollas in Lunar Mist - and I like it - oh well, opinions are like bellybuttons - everybody's got one!
    I just got back from the local dealer after a test in a 2003 Corolla. This happened to be a manual trans S, which was all they had at the moment [the transporter unloaded an auto LE while I was there], but I have to say I was really, really impressed with how this car felt on the road: solid, smooth, adequately quiet, and tight. And the extra room inside, especially in the back, is immediatealy obvious and very welcome. I could fit in the back seat with the driver's seat adjusted for me [I'm just short of 6'], and I could not say that with the previous gen car.

I've owned 45 new cars since 1962, all but two imports, including everything German and Japanese [13 Mercedes and at least 10 Toyota products including trucks, plus several recent Hondas - our current ride is an '01 Accord EX V6]. With that background, it's hard to overemphasize how impressed I was with the new Corolla. If they were so inclined, putting a Lexus badge on the leather-packed LE would not be a stretch...not that this will ever happen, but the car has a solid, all-of-a-piece feel that is truly impressive. Hands down winner in this category...
    John,
    Thanks for your review. You opinion counts for a lot in my book.
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    What is the estimated mpg for the new Corolla's with automatic transmissions? Do they still offer both 3 and 4 speed auto trannys?
    I think I read somewhere that the MPG was about the same as the '02 - with automatic 4-speed you should get 30/city and 38 or 39/highway - my '01 Le gets excellent gas mileage - I usually get at least 31 or 32 MPG in the city - and I have gotten as high as 34 MPG/city.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    On Monday, I drove to the York, Pa. Honda Dealer and test drove a 2002 Honda Civic EX Sedan. After that, I drove to the York, Pa. Toyota Dealer and test drove a 2003 Toyota LE. The Honda was a very nice car, however with the side air bags and carpet mats you are fast approaching Accord prices. I will say, my expierence with the Honda Dealer was awesome. No pressure to buy today, showed me the service department, yada yada. Bottom line, I enjoyed both the test drive, the sales guy, the dealer and the Honda Civic. It is easy to see why Honda sells the heck out of the 2002 Civic.

HOWEVER,..... the 2003 Toyota LE is BY FAR the best small sedan in this segment! BY FAR...the B.E.S.T! I was treated very well at DIEHL TOYOTA in York PA. The sales guy Tom Kerns did every thing the Honda guy did and more (a voucher for a free car wash). I drove the LE Sedan, 4 speed Automatic, with alloy wheels, weather guard pac, cruise, stero combo w/th 6 speaker,moon roof, VIP security/keyless entry pac and wheel locks. The car was Indigo Ink Pearl with the stone interior. I loved this car, a baby CAMRY indeed! Handled much better than, I expected. Almost like a upscale mid size car inside (think Volkswagen) and a very smooth drive train/engine combo! How can they sell these so cheap. I really think anyone shopping for a 2002/2003 Vee Dub Jetta GL 2.0 would be a fool to spend the extra $3,000 to $4,000 for that car. The 2003 Corolla is solid, very smart looking and well built.

I was offered $8,500 for my trade (2000 Mazda PRO-ES w/th 35,000 miles) which is Edmunds TMV. Here is the kicker, Diehl Toyota was selling all their LE's for $400.00 under MRSP. That is pretty good for a brand new redesigned Corolla. I declined, but...it was tough!!!

-Larry
    I have read a few other's opinions of the new Corolla and they were about the same as yours - it sounds like an impressive little car for the $$ - I have yet to see one in person - I called the salesman who sold me my '01 LE last year and he said they only have 2 '03 Corollas in stock right now - he likes the car so much he said he is thinking of buying one for himself - what was the sticker price of the one you looked at?
    ...with the manual it's 32/40 and the automatic is 30/39, for US spec cars.
  • readytobuy8readytobuy8 Member Posts: 22
    It is good to hear all the positive comments on the car I bought, my wife prefers it to her 01 civic.
    I got my first door ding this weekend, one of my neighbors a real heavy set guy ( around 300 pounds ) getting out of his truck did it in. It is real frustrating.. oh well that's life.. Maybe I can touch it up.
    IMO the Corolla will over take the civic.
    That's a shame that your new car already has a ding. You should let Mr. Neighbor's truck have an experience with a sharp key. :-)
    Things are going well with my 03 Corolla S. I will hit 1000 miles by the weekend. Unfortunately I have not heard from my dealer about the Aluminum wheels and car mats. FYI, I paid for Al wheels and car mats but there were not installed due to supplier shortages at the factory. So my dealer placed them on order and said it will take about 2-4 weeks. Is anyone else in this situation as well?

The car drives very smooth and quiet. The engine pulls well down low, so I can keep up with traffic well while shifting at 3000rpm or less.

One thing I have noticed though is a slight buzzing on the top of the instrument panel which occurs about 5% of the time, usually at the same temperature and conditions. This intermittent sound is magnified by the fact that the car is so quiet overall. Again, anyone else with a similar problem?

Finally, I was wondering what tires are on your '03 Corollas. Mind has the Firestone FR690 and I noticed Goodyear Integrity's on other Corollas. At first I was a bit wary of the Firestones but they have proven to be quiet, smooth riding with good traction in the wet. Of course I have no basis of comparision until I replace the tires, probably with Michelins or Dunlops.
  • canoe2canoe2 Member Posts: 128
    I have been an owner of 89 Corolla. It was serving me well in last 13 yrs. It has 220K Km on but not loosing single drop of oil during 4000Km interval. It still has original radiator, CV boots, automatic transmission...
    I was looking another car for long trip drive. Toyota Camry was my candidate for next purchasing but Camry was out of my list since I saw the 2003 Corolla. I believe the style of 2003 Corolla is much better than Camry and a lot less expensive.
    Under the hood of Corolla, I was impress the arrangement of the engine (hi-tech).
    Tomorrow I will have a test drive to check out the performance of new Corolla.
  • daguy27daguy27 Member Posts: 4
    Just test drove a 2003 corolla LE auto.
    Ride: Very smooth, very quiet
    Handling: Actually pretty good
    Engine: Super quiet at idle, good pick-up, some engine thrashiness at higher RPM's
    Transmission: (auto) Silky, seamless shifts
    Interior: Rich and inviting, quality materials throughout
    Exterior: Flawless paint, trim, etc.
    All I can say is that this car is a HUGE improvement over the 2002 corolla. I also test drove a 2002 civic EX auto which was pretty nice, drove reasonably well, typical honda quality, but I felt overall the 2003 corolla is WAY better in the way it feels and the price is better as well. For those of you who like to sit low to the ground though, the corolla may not be for you. You sit pretty high, and that might take some getting use to for some.
    Mine was missing the floor mats as well they ordered them, they said they that it would take a week to get them.
    It has been a week today, still have not heard from them. I will give them a few more days.
    Mine has the firestone tires.
    Britton2, the loaded LE auto Corolla LE I tested Monday was MSRPed at $17,929. I checked my notes again and the sales manager was going to let it go for $17,350. Diehl Toyota is a very high volume dealership. They had a least ten 2003 Corolla's in stock. 3 LE's, no S's and 6 or 7 CE's. I was not seriously shopping, Monday. I guess, you can call me an inconsiderate car buyer, however; I never told either the Honda or Toyota sales guys, I was ready to buy, today. My wife is a little disgruntled with her 2000 Mazda Protege. I was just scouting for some potential replacements. I was also curious on the real world trade value of her 2000 PRO-ES. Bottom line, I have a great sales guy and friend at the Lancaster Toyota Mazda Dealership, where I purchased my last three cars. I'm pretty sure, if I was ready to pull the trigger on a Mazda Pro-5, a Toyota Matrix or a Toyota Corolla (the 3 vehicles still in the running to replace my wife's 2000 PRO-ES before it's out of warranty) I could work out a fair deal with him and my local dealership. Nonetheless, I thought it was VERRRY interesting that the Diehl Toyota Dealership in York, PA. was willing to offer $500.00 off MSRP on their slim stock of LE's? I hope that info is helpful to others, whom might check out this board. Trust me $17,350 for a fully loaded LE is a very very fair price. I repeat, I think Toyota hit a grand slam with this re-design. Before, I would purchase a Jetta or a Civic, I would strongly advice you to test drive the 2003 Corolla!

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • toguytoguy Member Posts: 20
    I went to test drive the 2003 Corolla today and following is how it compares to my 4 month-old (grunt!) 2002 Corolla:

-Engine/Performance: 2002's engine is quieter which I guess is due to the fact 2003's gearing is shorter to compensate for the extra 200 pounds or so the new model has gained over the old one, which makes it rev harder at any given speed (more on that later). That's also why low rpm pick up is keener in the new Corolla, but acceleration to highway speeds and overtaking is more or less similar in both cars. I should mention that both cars had the 4-speed automatic transmission, which was equally seamless in either one.

-Stability and handling: 2003 is so stable you'd swear it's on rails! It was a windy day in Toronto but that didn't seem to affect the (tallish) car directional stability. Handling was equally impressive and it felt safe and confidence inspiring as I was taking high speed curves during my hour-long test drive. 2002's stability isn't bad but it doesn't zero-in on the straight-ahead quite as effectively. Ditto the handling, which is less buttoned down in my 2002 corolla.

-Ride: 2002's ride is one of its good aspects. The new Corolla retains the smooth ride but its more solid body makes pumps reverberate less throughout the car's structure (more on that later), resulting in a more comfortable ride. There were no ill effects in the cars ride (or handling) that I could notice that would be attributed to changing the rear suspension's design to torsion beam as opposed to independent Mac struts in the 2002 model.

-Body integrity: 2003 Corolla is one of the most solid and rattle-free cars that I've driven. The car seems hewn from a pellet of steel. I know this is a tired cliché, but it actually applies in this case. The doors close with a thud that imparts a feeling you only get in cars costing 2-3 times as much. Admirable! The 2002 Corolla, while solid in its own right and compared to the likes of Civic, Protégé etc., is a notch or two below in this regard.

Interior/Exterior: Admittedly, this is a matter of taste, but I think few would argue that the interior of the new Corolla is in a league of its own in this segment. The only other car that's as impressive -IMO- is the VW Jetta, but it costs thousands more. Interestingly, the new Corolla's exterior has about the same stance and proportions as the Jetta, which is high praise since the Jetta is probably the most elegant design in the small car segment, again IMO. I still like 2002's exterior design (mine still looks sharp in black with alloy wheels), but it's soundly trounced in the interior department. Actually, if I were to pick a single aspect of the new car that's leaps and bounds ahead of the old one, it would be the interior.

The only concern that I had during my long test drive is that the more noticeable engine drone may prove tiring in long trips. Now I should mention that I was driving at 140+ kmh (about 88 mph) most of the time where the engine is revving at about 3300 rpm. When I slowed down to 100 kmh (62 mph), noise was more tolerable. My 2002 Corolla revs at about 3000 rpm when I'm doing 140 kmh (due to its taller gearing) and that makes a difference in the decibel level that I noticed when I jumped into my car and drove back to work on the same roads I was test driving the new Corolla on and at the same speed. The difference wasn't huge, mind, since at high speeds, wind noise is more noticeable in my 2002 Corolla (moon roof equipped) than in the 2003 Corolla I drove (sans moon roof).

So there you go. I hope this helps and sorry for the (very) long post :)
  • flootfloot Member Posts: 22
    Hi Larry -- I lurk over on the Protege5 board because I LOVE the way that car looks.

Do Meade and all the folks over there know that you are sneaking out and flirting with Corollas?

Last Sunday I had to walk onto the Toyota dealership lot and see a Matrix in person. (My first love will always be hatchbacks/small wagons for their utility). I also looked at the 2003 Corollas and was more impressed than I thought I would be. Nice interior improvements, especially the higher location of the climate and radio controls -- and thankfully, better cupholders.

To those who end up getting the 2003 Corollas -- enjoy! It looks like a winner.
    I will have to get over to the dealership and take a look at the '03 out of curiosity - I am not interested however it buying it or any other car right now - I've had my '01 LE for almost a year and I am quite pleased with it - but I've seen pics of the '03 and I especially admire the new exterior styling as well as the interior - the man who sold me my car last year said they only have 2 new Corollas right now - he too is very impressed with the car - thanks guys for your reviews -
    Susan, I love my pair of 2000 Protege ES's, however after 3 years it might be time to trade them in? Or we might hold on to them. NOTHING, is forever is it? My wife and I have narrowed our decision to a 2003 PRO-5, 2003 Toyota Matrix, 2003 Toyota Corolla or a 2003 Mazda MVP or a combo of two of them. Also, possible,... a Honda CRV? Nevertheless, the research starts, now.

-Larry
  • digiturbodigiturbo Member Posts: 17
    protegextwo : The difference in MSRP and invoice is at least 1500. (based on invoice of cars.com)It increases once you add more options. Again, the invoice at cars.com seems pretty low. I hope edmunds has invoice of 03 corolla soon. So, $500 off MSRP, they still making lots of profit. But you can definitely get better deal.
    Good luck
  • flootfloot Member Posts: 22
    I think the ecology class lectures I took a few years ago came pretty close. :~)

Sounds like you have some great vehicles to choose from -- best of luck with the quest.

Susan
    protegextwo: I don't know how far away you are from Chambersburg, PA but check out http://www.fitzgeraldautomall.com. They have a "no-haggle" approach. Their prices are the best I have seen on the web on Corollas, $300-$500 over invoice. I recommend anyone else in the market residing in the mid-south PA and DC areas to check out this dealer.
    Yes, that sums it up nicely! I have extensive experience in the 88-91 generation, and more still with the 98-02 gen cars. Your point about the difference in apparent solidity in the new car is absolutely what I felt. This is hard to describe to someone who hasn't driven both cars, but in size, ride quality, solidity, room, and trunk [the '03 is actually bigger], this car reminds me of nothing else but our '94 Mercedes W202 C [a C220 in our case] - for less than half the price. Can't compare the safety or braking, of course, but in terms of how the car feels on the road, this is the most apt comparison I could conjure. Just an overwhelming surprise...
    I have a 1996 Corolla DX that has an oak interior without the thick arm rest on the center console. I've seen several DXs on EBAY with them and wonder if it was only an option? Where am I able to buy one of these. The dealership had them for like $117 and it didn't look like the huge thick one that had come with the car new. Does anyone know any place I could possibly look? Thanks.
  • digiturbodigiturbo Member Posts: 17
    Ifan is right. That dealer gives pretty good deal, but they don't seem to have corolla S. I have been checking their inventory every day. Maybe it's sold right away when the cars arrive or they just don't have it. :(
    digiturbo: What I did to ensure I got the Corolla S was to work closely with the dealership to see if their allocation meets my requirements: model, equipment, color. With Fitzgerald's, they honored their internet price ($300-$500 over invoice) even when I reserved the car in advance.

I think you will be please with the Corolla S. It seems like most folks are going for the LE or, lesser degree, the CE. The S may not have some of convenience features as the LE (double stack center arm rest, variable intermittent wipers) nor the "mini"-Lexus interior decor. But it's stylish in its own right which has turned a more than a few heads in the 3 weeks I've driven it.
    "So, $500 off MSRP, they still making lots of profit. But you can definitely get better deal."

No doubt. Nonetheless, I was just relating a price, one dealer was offering. Edmunds suggests TMV on a new Corolla is MSRP, lol! My local Toyota Dealer has hinted all Corolla sold so far have been MSRP deals or a tad higher. Due to dealer added crap (pin stripes, undercoating, yada yada). I prefer to wait until the stock builds up and the acclaim dies down. However, I'm not dissing anyone who has or shortly will purchase a 2003 Corolla. BTW, I'm open to all new info on these cars! Including pricing. :-)

-Larry
  • matrollamatrolla Member Posts: 2
    Which dealer in Toronto could give a grand rebate?
    The rebate for 03 Corolla could be CDN$800 off MSRP as I ever heard.
  • samv3samv3 Member Posts: 8
    Would appreciate if anyone can tell me how to check air leaks through the windshield. I had my windshield replaced but i can hear a different noise like air coming from outside but very hard to find out by using hand while driving. Can anyone give me any guidance on this.

Thanks
  • matrollamatrolla Member Posts: 2
    Use smoke to check air leakage?
    ...Use tape around the windshield seal on the outside - keep moving it around until you locate the source of the problem.
    Is any one else having an idle problem with their 03 mine is revving up to 2000 rev when I start it, when I test drove another one at the dealership it had the same problem, not sure if it is normal or a problem
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Are you in a cold weather climate?
    ~alpha01
    My 2003 also revs to 2000 rpm at engine starts. It should be ok as long as the engine has sufficient lubrication. I will ask my dealer when I next bring it in.
  • gman40gman40 Member Posts: 15
    All the 1.8 engines from Toyota do this.
    My brother has the Celica, same deal.
    I have a theory that perhaps it helps lubricate
    the engine faster. Anyway it is normal and them
    2003 Corolla's are some fine cars. I had the pleasure to check out an S at my dealership.
    MSRP was $15,900. What a deal. I think this may be my next car. I have been a loyal Honda guy for the past 10years. I drove the new civic and it was just so boring. I love the fact this is being
    referred to as a little Lexus. I love the Lexus,
    but only have enough $$ for a Toyota that wants to be a Lexus. Anyhow I need to drive one so I can see for myself. I am also wondering I like the looks of the chromed door handles on the interior, but if I understand correctly you have to get the leather to get it in the LE. I may go
    with the S anyway because I thing I can pick up a
    lot of babes in it(lol). They go for that boy racer look. Of course it would be nice to have something more in the engine bay to back those looks up. Oh well I guess you just can't have everything.(jemk)
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Driving a standard transmission enhances your appeal to the opposite sex, from what I've observed. Plus, it will make the most out of those 130 hp. Being only 2590 lbs, having good torque breadth, and equipped with a stick, I'll bet you'll see Corolla 0-60 times in the very low 8's. My guess is that Car and Driver (the most objective, candid, and reputable of the major NON Consumer Reports auto mags, IMO) will manage 8.0-8.4 0-60 time.
    ~alpha
    I am in Dallas, it has not been cold. I thas been a lite winter for us.
  • slbondslbond Member Posts: 2
    Since I have discovered from various bulletin boards that it's really impossible to "order" a Toyota from factory, what's the chance of getting an LE with a manual shift? I like the options that come standard with an LE, but I'm afraid it's going to be tough finding a 5 speed. Does anyone have an idea what percentage of Corolla's (especially LE's) are going to be made with a manual transmission? Thanks,
    "Is any one else having an idle problem with their 03 mine is revving up to 2000 rev when I start it."
    by readytobuy8

"My 2003 also revs to 2000 rpm at engine starts..."by lfan
    by lfan

When, I took a 2003 Corolla LE test drive last week, I noticed the exact same thing. I currently own a pair of 2000 Mazda Protege's and they actually start off idling at a tic above 2200 rpm. I'm starting to believe, modern 4-cylinders engine share this characteristic. Nonetheless, Toyota builds the smoothest engine/tranny combo's in the auto world. I'm sure the "revs to 2000 rpm at engine starts" are just a idiosyncrasy of this engine and not a problem.

-Larry
  • vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    I mentioned this in a post a week or so ago. I noticed it immediately when I started the 2003 at the dealership. I've never been in a car that idled that high. Has me wondering?????
    My guess is that the high idle is there to warm up the catalytic converter faster to minimize cold engine emmisions.