Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    During my search for my 99 Corolla LE, I have found a few Corolla LE with ABS and side airbags.

I believe I have never seen a Corolla VE with ABS or sideairbags. ABS is even rare on a CE (but there should be 1 or 2, but since they stopped making 2000 several months ago, I don't think your chance of finding one is good). ABS and sideairbags is mostly found on the LE's, and then tend to come together (not one without the other), and tend to come on a LE that's loaded with sunroof and alloy wheels.

So if you are looking for ABS and sideairbag, you probably should look into buying an LE. But again, 2000 corollas are just about all gone now, and you will probably have to settle for a 2001 LE instead. Good luck.
  • liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    In 2001, Toyota revamp the Corolla lineup. The VE trim is gone, the CE is basically a replacement for the VE (with 3spd auto standard) and becomes the base(barebone) trim, the LE stays the same, but with less standard and more optional equipment, and the S trim is introduced which I think is positioned between CE and LE.
    I had seen a few 2000 Corolla with manual transmission(can't remember CE or LE), but I havent seen the 2001 yet. Same thing can be said with the ABS.
    Cliffy probably can explain much better on what available and what's on each trim level.

Toyota dealership's ratings has been near the bottom of the list for sometimes. I guess thats what happen when they know that they will always have buyers for their cars.
  • michalwmichalw Member Posts: 4
    My 99 Corolla has both ABS and side airbags. It is an LE with 5sp manual transmission and almost no other optional equipment. Those options were a MUST on my car. If they weren't available on a Corolla I wouldn't have bought one. And saying that Corolla doesn't need ABS because it's light is plain BS. The purpose of ABS is not to let the whels lock up, and it is a lot easier to lock up wheels on a light car than on a heavy one. I think that ABS is really helpful during heavy braking on wet road. In my opinion ABS and side airbags should come standard on all cars.
    Jusr my $.02 .
    Mike
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Liufei is correct about the model line up although the manual transmission is not too difficult to find. Our dealership loaded up on S Models with the 5 speed and the sell pretty well.

ABS is strictly a factory order proposition right now in this region. I don't agree with Toyota's decision on this but I do understand it. They believe there are two reasons to not ship the cars with ABS. The first is that this car is in a very price sensitive segment and anything that contributes to raising the price is going to adversely affect sales.

The other reason has to do with how much people will really benefit from ABS. Cars with ABS have not been shown to have fewer nor less severe collisions. Most people don't use them correctly. When the ABS engages, you feel the brake pedal vibrating and hear a groaning and clicking sound from under the hood. When this happens, people tend to ease off the brake and thereby defeat the who purpose for ABS. Toyota figures that if people are not going to benefit from it, why charge them for and and make it less price competitive.

If you must have ABS, they can be ordered. Most dealers hate factory orders because they are not easy for us. We can do it and if you are patient, the dealers can build your dream car.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    Daytime running lights are standard on the 2001 Corolla,I have them. I also have dual power adjusted side view mirrors. Don't believe all that B.S. the dealer is telling you.
    Liufei and cliffy1:

You two will love these pictures on the totally redesigned 2001 Corolla in Japan. This is from the offical Toyota's website in Japan. GOD THEY LOOK AWESOME!!!!!!!

First the exterior photos: click on the number on the right of the pictures to get a bigger and better one.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/index.html

now, hold your breath, and look at the totally amazing interior shots:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/index.html

HOLY SMOKE! A colored multi-functional screen display! My god! I want one of those! And look at the interior quality. I could swear it's like a Lexus. (0k, maybe a lexus is little too much, but a camry solara at least!) The instrements are kind of Lexus IS300-like. What do you all think. Also, notice there are significantly more rear seat legroom and the seats are higher off the floor giving a taller driving position.

This is more than enough to wet my appetite. I demand that they bring it here to the U.S! We are just as good as those Japanese and Europeans are we not? And we have higher living standards, we should be the first to get our hands on that redesigned corolla.
    COOL!!!!!. Nice job wenyue ^__^
    Here are some of the images from the site that wenyue mentioned. Toyota need to make an english version of Japanese website!!
    Exterior pics:
    http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/exterior/images/ex01_vga.jpg
    http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/exterior/images/ex02_svg.jpg
    http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/exterior/images/ex03_svg.jpg
    http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/exterior/images/ex04_vga.jpg

Interior pics: http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/interior/images/int01_vga.jpg
    http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/interior/images/int02_vga.jpg

I noticed the price for a Corolla with the cool looking Navi system is only around Y1.8M, translates to arround $15.5K. WHY WONT Toyota bring it here?? I definitely would buy one with all the goodies it comes with!!!

Hey cliffy, how many petition do you think needed for Toyota to bring a particular model to the US???
    Thank for redirecting the link. Forgot the webpage was in a frame. Thanks for the help.

I definitly want one of those new corolla! This is just too unfair to leave us hanging like this. TOYOTA ARE YOU READING THIS! If you bring it here, it will be HUGE success.
  • dchinndchinn Member Posts: 64
    Wenyue: Thx 4 posting the pix. Exterior looks a little like a VW Passat. Grille work takes a little getting use to. Prefer body color grille. Otherwise, looks like there a lot more headroom in the back. Couldn't say anything about trunk space. Interior looks clean. Just waiting 4 the press release on the performance.
    no prob. :)

The over all shape of the car reminds me of Prius.

Anyay, the trunk according to web page is 437L (or 15.4 cubic feet). That's huge. Can that be right? Somebody varify my conversion. 437L = 437,000 cubic cm = 75.9 cm side length = 29.9 inches side lenght = 2.49 ft sidelength = 15.4 cubic feet. Somebody double check me.

The engine is 1.3L (88 hp), 1.5L (110 hp), and 1.8L (an update of the current 1.8L, giving 10 more hp to 135 hp). Also, the wagon version gets an updated celica GT-S engine that makes 190 hp!

Also there are some nice safety features. First there is VSC (vehicle stablity control), and a tire pressure monitor, along with WIL seat (whiplash injury lessening).

Also there is a nice feature.
    http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/welcab/index.html

Notice how the passenger seat turns to face outside. NICE!
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    I like the new Corolla, but the back looks a lit like the previous generation Honda Accord.
    I guess they need the stability control for the hi COG the car seems to have. As for the swivel seats, didn't they come & go due to safety problems?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...the Corolla platform, like the Camry, is different for the US/Canada than the rest of the world. Dream on all you want, but the car we get [and will get] in North America is and will be a unique design only vaguely related to the Japan/EU version. Our cars will continue to be designed and built exclusively for NA, here in NA. The "other" Corolla is interesting, of course, but has a completely different place in the market in Japan and EU than it has here. No one will pay the price they would have to charge in North America for the car as produced for the overseas markets, with all of the bells and whistles.

Our Camry is also unique to this market [wider and longer]; the Japanese Camry and Windom are just as different as the various Corolla versions.

Honda makes three different versions of the Accord - the NA version is also wider and longer than the Japan/EU versions, has different suspension settings, unique engines, etc. The basic platform is the same, but very little else but the name.
    we can dream can't we? :)

anyway, the Toyota Windom in Japan is more like the Lexus ES300 here.

http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Windom/index.html

Toyota Camry in Japan is actually more or less the same car here.

http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Camry/gimage/top.html

It has just about the same layout. Besides the obvious switch of driving position from left side to the right side, and the availability of the Nav system, almost all the things are the same. Including the 2.2L 4 cylinder engine.

http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Camry/gimage/inte/cock_1.html

When the Japanese 1998 Corolla and the US version was very similiar.

So I hope Toyota will bring the new Corolla over intact. :)
    that last message was meant for jrct9454. Sorry dchinn. :)

Oh dchinn, was swivering seat ever available before in the U.S? I wasn't aware of any cars that had that feature.
    Swivel seats were on either the 68-70 Pontiac Grand Prix or some large American car. I do not recall exactly.
    oh, that explains why I haven't heard of it. I wasn't even born yet.
  • toyomantoyoman Member Posts: 5
    i just hit 44,000 miles on my 98 corolla ve, only had to bring it in to replace some front suspension part that was making noise. otherwise flawless in and out. Tires need to be replaced, as they wear out I notice a louder ride and not so sure footed. I don't want the oe Firestones, they stink. Toyo makes a real nice tire for this car, it has a stiffer sidewall which should give me better handling.
  • rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    Even if the interior isn't as luxurious looking, I'd still love to see that body-style adopted for the next generation Corolla in North America. I think it's classy looking, especially that picture of it in white!

It's always a bit frustrating to see how some makes of cars are similar in name only. The Accord, Civic and many Toyota makes all have quite different autos using the same name. Sometimes we get models that make the Europeans envious; a lot of times though it seems like it's the other way around. At least Ford is having success with the Focus as a car that is basically the same world-wide. Maybe Toyota will do the same eventually but I won't be holding my breath...I personally think the current Corolla is a bit of a yawner style-wise, but this model just looks classy, sort of like a Mazda Millenia.

My big fear is that the next Corolla for N.A. will be an enlarged version of the Echo! Ech! :-)
  • scuz1scuz1 Member Posts: 4
    I'm considering the purchase of a 1994 Corolla Wagon. Auto, AC, AMFM cassette, 50,000 miles, very clean. Anything to fear? What's a good price. The various web pricing pages say $6500 to over 10,000. Thanks!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The only thing to fear is finding one. They are a needle in a haystack and if you find one in good shape you need to be prepared to make a fast decision. They don't last long on the used car market. You should see what happens at wholesale auction when this or a Camry wagon pulls into the lane. You see a bunch of used car managers who have been looking at the "Black Book" all day perk up. They put their books away and just start bidding. I've seen these things take stupid money at auction. Keep in mind that these cars end up on dealer's lots and they don't plan on selling them for what they paid for them.

They are remarkably solid cars. I don't want to disparage the US or Canadian built Corollas but the wagons were built in Japan and seem just a bit more solid. If you can find on with good miles and no paint work, go for it.
  • scuz1scuz1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the fast response. This one looks remarkably good, though I'm no mechanic. To recap, it's a DX, automatic with air and AMFM cassette. I am having it checked by a mechanic tomorrow. I'm buying it from the original owner with 50K miles. It did have an alternator and battery at 47K. In your expert opinion, there's nothing to look for as far as chronic issues? I figure I'll do the timing belt at 60K (it has a 1.8L, I think) and change the oil every 3K and probably get at least another 100K out of the car. Thanks for the advice!
  • rollaman2rollaman2 Member Posts: 10
    Try this link for reliability info on used corollas:

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/UsedRelOver/Toyota/Corolla/used.asp

Good luck with getting your wagon.
    Heh, I thought the Focus IS an enlarge version of the Echo. And since the new Corolla looks like a Focus........welll, maybe it is related to Echo afterall. :)
    This room is deserted?? :(
    Oh well, figure i Post it here as well, does anyone Corolla making some kind of squeezing noise from the front when making turn/running over bumps?? I figures I get more information before running over to the dealer again.
    What kind of noise is a squeezing noise? Kind of like a "creek"?

I occationally heard a little "creek" when running over speed bumps. Kind of like the noise mattres spring makes when my wife and I ... never mind. :) It's not very loud but you can hear it. That's the only time that noise happen, I just attributed it to the shock/spring flexing and didn't give it another thought. Is that what you are talking about?
    YUP! thats the one. Its just been developing for the last week or so. I ain't making any comment about your wife and mastress........ :)

The other noise happen when making a turn, much noticeable on reverse turn and sometimes carry it over when driving.
    The front suspension is my initial suspect, may also be steering wheel since i can feel some sort of vibration (barely noticeable though).

On a different note, we need that new Corolla to fight back the Sentra,Protege and Focus!!!! ARGH!!!
    the new civic, it'll still be a best seller, regardless..... The civic name just have a stranglehold on the compact market, I guess...
    ...on Toyotas are often caused by the suspension bushings, especially [in the past, on Camrys] the sway bar bushings. If you're in the least bit mechanically inclined, a little spray silicon lubricant in the right places would be something to try. On the other hand, if you don't know what I'm talking about, best head for the dealer.
    Thanks for the information. Took the car for service today and they tighten up a heat shield next to the power steering rack, and lubricate some bushings and joints (?). It seems better now, and I will keep an eye on it.

On a different note, the dealer tried to charge $90 for the work, citing thats its an "adjustment" instead of an actual parts failure, thus not covered in the bumper-to-bumper/36k warranty (the corrolla has 14k in it). Is this how Toyota's warranty works, or the dealer just trying to make some quick cash on me?
    They're technically right and morally wrong. I'd make a fuss with dealer management, and if necessary, bump it to the Toyota regional rep. It's a matter of interpretation, and the first thing to learn from this experience, is that you don't want to buy from this dealer again.
  • dmendeldmendel Member Posts: 16
    haven't been here for a while. I recall reading some posts about creaking noises. Didn't have the problem then, but have it now. I have a 99 Corolla with 17,000 miles. Last month or so I have noticeable creaking when going very slowly down or up a curb or over a bump. Seems very creaky when "cold" and becomes quieter after driving for a while. I can only hear it from the front end. Sounds like creaky suspension. It just seems too loud and too noticeable. How have people dealt with it? Does it just require a little lube or something, or is it more serious?

Thanks.
  • dmendeldmendel Member Posts: 16
    Just saw the previous posts after posting above. Sorry about that. Though I would like to know this: I think it should be covered under warranty to fix it. Will it work to just call around to various dealers and find one who will fix it under warranty?
  • juniek1juniek1 Member Posts: 3
    Can any tell me whether the 1998 - 2000 Corolla has a timing belt or timing chain.
    Yes, that's the approach to take; I believe you will find someone [in a typically competitive urban area with multiple dealers] who will take care of this under warranty. Sounds like they have the classic bushing problem again, this time in the Corolla. Eventually, on the Camry, they found a new material to use...in the meantime, a little magic lube juice will probably do the trick.

The new engine [which is a real jewel, by the way] uses a chain. Eventually, the chain tensioner will have to be checked, but at mileage that will be way out there - well over 100k miles.
    dmendel:
    The dealer where I took my Toyota for service isn't the one I bought it from (moving from another city), so thats maybe a reason, albeit a poor one. I think your best chance is with the dealer you bought it from, since they definitely want to retain your business in the future. According to jrct9454, Toyota has no actual obligation to fix it under warranty, so I guess it depend on your relation to the dealer and how good/courteous each dealer is.

juniek1:
    Timing chain, with service interval of 90,000 miles.
    Sorry, my post overlapping yours.
    Where did you find the information that the timing chain should last way over 100K miles? I was told that timing belt should be changed at around 60K miles, and timing chain at around 90K miles.
    it should be tune up free for the first 100,000 miles. Timing chain last twice as long as the timeing belt. Just the general rule of the thumb.
  • saturnboysaturnboy Member Posts: 89
    I was considering the purchase of a 2001 Corolla CE 5 speed with air/ and the wheel and molding pkg. I am concerned with stories found on this forum seriously questioning the relialbility of these cars. Are they unreliable ?
    What is a good price for a Corrolla 5 speed >? with air
    I ruled out the new Civic, b/c/ it had almost no increase in horsepower, and no decrease in price. I ruled out the new Sentra b/c/ it did not fair well in JD Power's initial quality or rather the whole Nissan line up did poorly. I don't think I want a Protege b/c their underpowered, DX, LX.
    What cars are left that are good anymore >? I may start taking the bus so I don't have to worry about a dumb car anymore : )
    What makes you think this car is unreliable? The corolla finish on the top of initial quality survey by jdpower for compact car. They're one of the most reliable car on the road.
    Problems U read on this forum are focused to particular owners own car & not found in most rollas as a generalization. We are here to help one another; to ask others if problems they experienced are common w/ other owners or not & to give possible remedies. One problem in 1000 rolla owners is only one-tenth of a percent. And I know there are more than 1000 rollas on the road. No car line is completely perfect. Even Mercedes Benz, BMW, & LEXUS have their lemons. If U worry about cars that are under powered or poor in quality for the $ U want to spend, U might have to build your own & see how far U get. Maybe U should spend a few $ and get a AAA Diagnostic before buying that new car to ensure "quality" or get IMOTORS.COM to evaluate & fix all problems in the "used" car U select prior to your purchase. 'Nuff said.
    Thanks for the advice, I realize that no car is perfect, and you can't expect a Caddilac for a Corolla price. Yet, with the Toyota nameplate , it raises the bar for consumer expectations on what quality should be.
    I may just buy another Saturn, at least their I am treated like a human being, compared to my experiences with toyota dealers in the past (former Toyota Celica owner) . I want a good car for under 14k, don't think thats too much to hope for
    Unfortunately Toyota;s dealer ranked near the bottom when it comes to customer satisfaction, I guess when they know they can sell the cars, they don't really pay attention to customers....
    Saturn has generally good dealer attitudes, although their rank has fallen, but you pay MSRP for a car that (IMO) doesn't worth the MSRP price on it.
    You still haven't said what kind of quality expectation you expect from the Corolla nor the problems you feared. But if you want the best value for your $$$, nothing can beat the korean car right now (Hyundai,Daewoo,KIA).
    Their are some Toyota dealers around my area, (albany NY) that have consistently won the Toyota touch presidents award for customer satisfaction such as "Kinderhook Toyota". I will be trying Toyota dealers with better reputations first.
    The kind of quality I expect from a Corolla is what anyone would expect from a Toyota imo, I don't want to put any money into it except normal maintenance for at least 6 or 7 years. After that, some additional maintenance such as a new oil seal, would be understandabe.
    I like the new 2001 Elantra, looks very classy, but can't get past how most people still veiw Korean cars. I would rather have a base Civic or Corolla then a loaded Korean car. I read on this forum that some people have had suspension problems with thier corolla's, etc. If I buy one, I simply want a good one
    I bought a 2001 LE automatic "loaded" two months ago and I love it. I was able to get mine for well under MSRP and slightly over invoice. This is my second Corolla and third Toyota. All served me very well. This is one of the reasons I stick with Toyota. I am currently also driving a Tercel that I bought new back in "86" not a major problem yet.
    Good to hear that tercelton, I had an 87 Celica GT, but unfortunatly it leaked oil at 60k, and had a broken turn signal switch which they wanted a few hundred to replace. I told them to keep the car :) and got a Saturn instead, no major problems , knock on wood.
    Go w/ the Korean car which has the 10 yr/100K warranty. Hopefully U can rest assured. I think there's one Korean carmaker that has a 5 yr free maintenance schedule too, although I'm not sure if that's offered in your area. Go check out the ads. $14K including T&L doesn't buy U much these days especially if U need the std options (AT, AC, PW, PL, etc.) $16 or $17K would be more reasonable.
    Im looking for under 14k, a Corolla 5 speed CE with only air conditioning is under 14k. With some bargining I should be able to get it around 13.5 k easy. I can buy another Saturn SL2 with 124 horsepower, and Air for under 13k with my owner loyalty rebate apon my purchase of a second one. I have a bit of time before I will actually buy something else, who knows what I'll take.
    Go buy that Saturn or Kia, it sounds like thats what you really want anyway !!
    2001 Corolla CE with manual tranny & Extra Value Package (A/C + Radio & Cassete + Digital Clock) invoiced at $12,569. So you should be able to get it for around 13K or less.
    Since you getting a manual, the 3-spd auto on the CE won't affect you in anyway.

A comparable Saturn SL2 will cost $13.3K, but thats without the owner loyalty rebate.

Personally, I would suggest getting a 2001 LE, with manual transmission + Extra Value Package 1 (AC + power window+power lock). It invoiced at $13.2K, but you should be able to fetch greater resale value than the CE.

If you do want to go with korean car, go with Hyundai or Daewoo. Avoid KIA, their cars are still generally inferior compared to the other 2.