Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• amay4amay4 Member Posts: 1
    I recall some earlier discussion about ABS on Corolla being difficult to get right now. I don't know the reason for this, but I have experienced it. We have a deposit on a LE w/ABS (& side air bags)that was supposed to come in this week, but we're told it will be another 10 days. Anyone have ideas on why this might be?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The ABS availability issue is strictly a problem with the supplier not being able to meet demand; apparently, a lot of the components are shared with the Camry, which is getting production priority for the time being.
  • behhppbehhpp Member Posts: 51
    I am 6-2 215 and just bought a Corolla. I have plenty of headroom. If my legs were a little longer (say if I were 6-5) I could have a problem bumping my knees on the steering wheel, but I am Ok. No way was I able to fit in the 2002 Corolla.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Thanks... how's the headroom?
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    It's a documented fact that ABS can actually increase the stopping distance on icy/snowy roads. My personal experience with ABS confirms this. In over 4 years of driving the ABS on our vehicle has only been activated 3-4 times. It was scary because each time it was in snowy/icy conditions. The stopping distance was actually longer than with our non-ABS equipped vehicle. However, ABS may be beneficial in the rain and certainly allows you to steer during its application. ABS is not the safety feature that some thought it would be (ask your insurance company). ABS along with other features gives some drivers a false sense of security. The bottom line is "be careful" with or without ABS.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    The ones you buy from the dealership are made by McGard, which makes excellent wheel locks.

I'm told Gorilla brand wheel locks are excellent as well.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I don't know about the person on this thread but you HAVE to check out the forum at Car and Driver. You will absolutely die laughing at some of the posts toward another person who is mad about buying a 2002 months before the 2003 Corolla came out. Check it out!

http://forums.caranddriver.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=000450

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I'm Brian Fellow!!! (I'm glad you corrected that guy about his pluralization, coolguy...lol).
    Anyways, that forum is truly brutal! I almost feel bad for that person, but not really.

I think the best Corolla value for the money is a CE 5 sp with power door locks, alloys, carpeted floor/trunk mats, ABS... still right at 15K MSRP.. great buy and really sharp with the alloys. Hopefully, I will be able to find one when I am looking for one around this time next year. Anyone else's thoughts on a high value Corolla?
    ~alpha
  • mpynempyne Member Posts: 120
    would anyone like toyota to offer a sedan that would compete with the vw jetta 1.8t? basically something like the altezza (is300)but with the toyota name. keep price under 20k this way it wouldnt affect lexus sales. i was thinking maybe something based on the corolla platform with 180hp sporty suspension etc....

i think toyota could really take sales away from the vw crowd if they did something like this.
    Certainly, its not a sedan.. but capturing the youth oriented market with a non-sports car/non-SUV is basically the Matrix's intent.... I would love to see the car you spoke of, mpyne, INSTEAD of the Matrix, but I doubt that you will see one alongside both the Corolla and Matrix... perhaps we will get a real Jetta competitor when Scion comes out.... But thats a whole 'nother story.
    ~alpha
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    I also think it is ridiculous to sue Toyota for changing in the 2003 model year when that person bought a 2002 model year. However, the word "improving" is in the eye of the beholder. I purposely bought the 2001 model year knowing that Toyota would change in 2003. Now I can say that I'm glad that I did. I did not have any of the problems with my 2001 that some folks are having with their 2003. My dash never never made noise and I certainly can do 0 to 60 MPH. in under 10 seconds with my lighter 2001.It seems from what I hear,that is not possible with the 2003.
    Very true, terceltom, about "improvements" in the eye of the beholder- though I have yet to see a published test where the 03 Corolla, (whose curb weight has gone up about 60lbs-certainly not very much) hasn't done the 0-60 in 10 seconds-
    Motor Trend (not the most brilliant auto journalism, but a source nonetheless) had a CE manual do the trick in 7.9 seconds, and even ultra-conservative Consumer Reports tested an LE auto, achieving 9.8 seconds to 60. And... the dash rattles seemed to be mainly early production models.
    Our 02 has been very solid over its first 16K miles... but its a 3sp CE (out of low cost necessity) and its sluggish, loud, and doesnt achieve the MPG it could... for the budget minded who need an auto, the 4 speed trans is a MAJOR improvement to the base Corolla at the same price as before.
    ~alpha
    Instead of a 3 speed CE, why didn't you go for an Echo?
    And leasing on the ECHO was more expensive than on the much more attractive (inside and out) Corolla. Plus... the Corolla is commuter car for my padre, he drives about 70miles each day, enough not to want to have to deal with crosswind sensitivity associated with the extra height and 400 fewer lbs. I also dont see him taking to the expanses of unadorned plastic behind the steering wheel or the stares he might get coming out of that car. Overall, I think the ECHO, despite the allegiance of its owners, is a dissappointing attempt on Toyota's part. Especially now with the 2003 Corolla offering so much more at a price very similar to that of the ECHO, the ECHO should get the axe. If Toyota really needs an economy anchor to their line, bring back a true successor to the Tercel.
    ~alpha
    It's funny to know that the Corolla is cheaper to lease than the Echo, considering that the latter has been a poor seller compared to the Corolla.

You're right by saying that Echo owners have somewhat of an allegiance, something I haven't seen (yet) with Corolla owners. It might be a stretch to say this, but I'd consider the Echo as a cult car, something similar to the Beetle or the Mini. It has a distinctive shape, and doesn't cater to everyone. Maybe the Echo will be axed in a few years since North American tastes seem to be towards Matrix-like cars, or the Corolla and bigger.

In any case, if the Echo doesn't have a significant price advantage over the Corolla, it'll probably end up being axed. It still draws a whole lot of attention though!
  • ata3001ata3001 Member Posts: 30
    Hi everyone, I purchased new an impulse red 2001 Corolla S 5-spd with every available option except 6 disc cd changer, and now have just over one year and 17000 totally trouble free miles. My best highway mileage to date is 46 mpg. My weekly average with approximately 70% highway, 30% city type driving is 37 mpg. I have made a few minor modifications. First I took all the badging, except for the "S" off the trunk lid. Next I purchased the TRD tire and wheel package (205/45 x 16 tires). Looks and handles much better. I do not drive it hard, I just like its new look... :-)
    I bet that is one sharp Corolla!
    Does removing the badging leave any kind of residue on the paint?
  • ata3001ata3001 Member Posts: 30
    Removing the badging gives the rear of the car a much cleaner, less cluttered look. Besides, the auto manufacturers add it as a form of advertising for themselves. It provides no actual function. IMHO, this badging does nothing to improve the looks of the car. If you look at any custom built car or "Hot Rod" built by any of the worlds top designers and builders you will never see their name plastered all over it. I'm not putting a Corolla in the same league as these vehicles, but the same thoughts and principles apply. But this is only one persons opinion...hehe! ;-)
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Removing badges can sometimes leave a residue, but this can be easily taken off with adhesive remover (I do not have a product name off-hand), or just pick it off with your fingernails. Polish the areas afterwords for clean, shiny look.

Another thing, you might not want to do this if your car is old enough to have dulled paint from the sun and/or the elements. It could possibly show the badge's outline (ie "TOYOTA" etc.) because the paint under the badge has not dulled. Especially noticeable with darker colors.
  • behhppbehhpp Member Posts: 51
    The headroom is fine when driving the 2003. Plenty of room, plus some extra room. About as much room as the Camry.
    That the US production of Corollas can't keep up with demand. Imports from Japan are being brought in.
  • terryinvaterryinva Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a used 1993 Corolla 4dr,
    AC, Auto with only 70K. It was literally owned
    a grandmother. The asking cost is $5000. Talking with people have told me Toyotas are good for resale value and can easily go to 200K if
    the proper preventive maintenance is performed. I have never owned a Toyota and this will be my first if I make a purchase. With this being a '93 with low miles any feedback good or bad will be greatly appreciated if this would be a worthwhile investment (The car will mainly be used as a second family vehicle for the misses and/or me going to and from to work)...Thanks in advance!

Terry W.
    Chesapeake, Va
    I bought a 1996 Corolla back in January. I've only had it for about 1,300 miles but it has been flawless. The 1993 Corolla generation was one of the best ever built so it should do you well. Check for squeaks though because the 93 was the first year of production and it might have those. Also, check to see if you can find any newer Corollas for that amount. My 1996 had only 68k miles for $7,200 and was auto, had AC, spoiler, 6 disc cd player, alloy wheels, cruise, power windows and locks. It was a DX model too.
  • terryinvaterryinva Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info! I'll also check out some newer models and similar deals for the price.
    you seem to love cars, and your Corolla, so how is it that you have driven ONLY 1300 miles in nearly 6 months?
    ~alpha
    Well I only have a driver's permit. I'll have the license (hopefully) July 3.
    Those permit days... they seem so long ago.... but only 4 years......
    enjoy your license...(i'm sure you'll get it..and if its your bday... happy bday!!)
    ~alpha
    It will be a half birthday really. I actually should have gotten my permit December 30, but since it was a Sunday during the holiday season I had to wait until January 3. I was told the earliest I could get the license was July 1, but the driving school scheduled it for the 3rd instead. Oh well! I just hope I pass. In Kentucky, one has to wait until 16 to get the permit and 16 1/2 to get the license. How silly.
    If you think that's bad, you should see our laws in Ontario. It would make your hair stand up.
    I parked in front of a 2003 Corolla LE in silver today. There is just something interesting about the design of the front of the car. It just looks so neat.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I couldn't agree more - I saw a white LE yesterday - something about the design reminds me of a Lexus - the '03 Corolla is very eye-catching!
  • mickeywdwmickeywdw Member Posts: 12
    A couple of weeks ago I asked about crash test results for the 03 corolla because I was cross shopping the corolla and civic to replace my 91 camry. I wanted to follow up and let you know we took delivery of our new civic ex this week. We selected the civic over the corolla for a few reasons:

1) The crash tests on the civic are excellent and a best pick on the IIHS site. Toyota could not tell me when the crash tests would be scheduled. For us, this was important.
    2) On the test drives the Civic was less noisey, although the corrola was less noisey than the first civic lx we test drove.
    3) We couldn't get the combination of anti-lock brakes, side airbags and a moonroof on the corolla anytime soon, although the dealer offered to install a moon roof at the dealership.
    4) Slight fear of the corolla being a first year model.
    5) Got a great price - $16,295 for the civic ex sedan with auto and side airbags. It comes standard with a moon roof and antilock brakes.

So far we love the civic, it drives so much smoother than our camry (which we loved and gave us 11 years of safe and reliable service). We never had a car with a moon roof before and we think it is great!

Anyway, thanks for the help and good luck!

Mickeywdw
    I'm sure you will enjoy your new Civic very much - for me, it came down to the Civic LX or the Corolla LE - this was in March of last year so the newly designed '03 Corollas were not out yet - I chose the Corolla over the Civic for these reasons:

More HP
    better powertrain warranty
    did not have Firestone tires
    had a timing chain, not a belt
    got a better deal
    had a outside temperature gauge

Prior to purchasing my Corolla, I drove a '86 Honda Civic hatchback - this was a GREAT little car - nothing major went wrong in almost 15 years of ownership - so yes, I am still big on Hondas, best of luck and enjoy your new car.
  • laksjlaksj Member Posts: 19
    The air conditioning in my 2002 Corolla LE has been producing this intermittent whooshing sound lately. I’ve taken it to the dealer who initially thought it was the belt tensioner. However, after replacing the belt tensioner, the sound still remains. The dealer said that the sound was normal and –since it’s intermittent- that it was probably the A/C’s compressor’s intermittent activation that produces this sound. Now I’ve had a 2000 Corolla prior to this one, which essentially had the same A/C system, but I’d never noticed a similar sound coming out of it. The sound I’m talking about is what you’d hear if a belt were rubbing against something. I initially thought it was an airplane passing (I work near the airport), until I heard it in my building’s underground parking!

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with their 1998-2002 Corollas and –if so- was there a fix to it. I fear that, if there indeed is a problem with my A/C which my dealer can’t diagnose, it’s getting worse since the noise in question is getting louder the more I use the A/C.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    With the front seats all the way back, will two child car-seats fit in the back seat of a 1998 – 2002 Corolla?
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    That depends on how far back you have your seat reclined. I drive my 02 Corolla with the seat all the way back and slightly reclined, and I can fit a car seat (I only drive with one) in the back. Also depends on your kids, and how much you can stand them kicking you from behind :-)
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Thanks for the info. Is your car seat right behind the driver seat?
  • edle777edle777 Member Posts: 19
    We have two car seats in our 99 Corolla, one behind each front seat with the gap in the middle.

I don't think having the front seats all the way back will be a problem. There won't be a lot of spare room left so an older child can easily reach the front seat and may thus annoy you by kicking it, as dave points out.

The bigger problem we find is that the contouring of the rear seat makes it hard to level the carseats. Usually an extra blanket or towel is needed, but this may depend on the carseat. And of course, forget about getting another person back there, after all it is a Corolla.
    On some thread at one time there was an argument about the best selling car in the world. I believe it was between the Beetle and the Corolla and now there is more support of the Corolla's crown. Caranddriver.com's article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/dai/2002/june/20020626_dai_golf.xml

The Golf recently passed the Beetle has VW's best selling automobile.

"Despite its huge sales, the Golf is still behind the all-time best-seller, the Toyota Corolla, which was launched in 1966 and has accounted for around 26 million sales." (The Golf has 21.5 million sales.)

Sometimes I put the seat directly behind me, but most of the time I put it in the middle using the middle belt. My kid likes to look out at the road when he's in the car.
    I was driving today and a 2003 white Corolla was passing me in the opposite direction. At first I thought it was a Suzuki Esteem. I'm so ashamed. What blasphemy!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    HOW could you mistake a '03 Corolla for an Esteem?! You SHOULD be ashamed! That's nearly as bad as someone mistaking a Kia Spectra sedan for a Camry, which, er, I did a few months ago... c'mon, the tailights do look a lot alike, right??
    Haha, Backy! Actually, from a distance there is something about the front of the Esteem that is like the Corolla. But I can't put my finger on it. However, we all know the Corolla is a million times better in every aspect. :-D
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    Anyone look hard at the Echo before they purchased their Corolla?

What made you select the Corolla over the Echo?
    I never seriously considered the Echo. That high and narrow profile was just too funky for my conservative taste. IMHO, the 03 Corolla reminds me too much of the Echo. I prefer the 02 styling myself.
    I never did test drive an Echo last year while car-shopping - at one Toyota dealership, I saw an Echo parked outside next to the showroom - I asked the salesman about it - I think I asked "what's that?" - and he just looked at me and shook his head - as if to say "don't even bother" - I am happy with my '01 Corolla LE (the styling looks good to me although I do like the looks of the '03 better) and I don't know if I would have preferred the Echo over the Corolla - but I do wish now that I had at least test-driven one...the fact that it is kind of funky-looking is a plus I think.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I don't own either, although I was a part of my neices decision to buy an '03 Corolla last week. I DID look at both an 02 Corolla and 02 Echo late last year when I was purchasing a car, but found the Echo lacking in my required options (power windows, as an example, if I remember correctly.) The back seat was too small in the 02 Corolla, and (as we all know already, the 03 seating position is not right for everyone. Me included) One last thought...I don't care for the looks of the Echo, or the center location of the speedo.
    I got my license today. :-) Now my Corolla will be getting more miles!