Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Wow, Coolguy! Congratulations!

johnclineii who well remembers the exhilaration and freedom of a license (but then it took him over a dozen times to pass--don't even ask! :)
  • lochlyn_decklochlyn_deck Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking to buy a 2003 Corolla S, but I'm not sure if I should consider the manual. Has anyone driven or purchased a manual? I was specifically wondering: Is the clutch annoying heavy or tiring on the foot/leg, is the pedal farther up than one would like (it is not adjustable according to Toyota), is the stick throw long or short, is it a smooth shifter, etc.? According to the dealer I am using, finding a manual S with side air bags and 4 wheel ABS is extremely unlikely. I was told it'd be about 4 months! So I may just opt for the automatic. Any thoughts?
  • torchgrltorchgrl Member Posts: 1
    I just got my Impulse Red '03 S with manual transmission on Saturday, and I did have to wait a couple of months, but I think some of that was due to my having some specific opinions as to color. I've always driven stick-shifts, and just couldn't bring myself to get an automatic this time around, so had no problem waiting. I'm really enjoying it so far--no issues with the clutch being difficult, and I haven't noticed anything annoying about the shifting action. I don't think it's quite as smooth as the Civic I test-drove awhile back, but it's certainly better than that of the '88 Corolla FX I've been driving for the last 14 years ;) Don't know how helpful that is, but thought I'd put in my $.02 just in case. I think the side airbags and ABS would be your main issue, at least here in CA--the impression I got was not to bother asking.

Having driven it around for a few days now, I can see where taller people might have problems with the seating position; fortunately,I'm 5' 2", so it's perfect for me. The only possible problem I've encountered is occasional dash creaking-- I'm assuming this is the infamous "dash rattle" mentioned elsewhere, though I don't hear it all the time, so haven't decided if it's actually a problem or not. Other than that, once I've learned to properly park the thing (it's quite a bit larger than the FX!), I will be able to move from very, very happy to absolutely thrilled to own this car :)
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...on the observations in the post above. The manual is a good choice, but be aware that your chances of finding one with a full safety package are somewhere between slim and none.

Also, the gearing on the manual is a bit tighter in final gear, so your highway engine speed will be a little bit higher with the manual - not a big issue for most people, but still true.

For us, the automatic was the only choice because my spouse will only drive an auto - but there is nothing wrong with either the linkage, general clutch feel, or anything else about this car's manual. My first test drive was in a manual S, because that's all the dealer had in February, and it was this car that sold me, notwithstanding that we bought an automatic LE.
  • 914914 Member Posts: 15
    My 2003 manual transmission Corolla S is a month old with about 1700 miles. My previous car was a 1992 Honda Civic (Also manual trans) with 156000 miles on the original clutch. To answer your questions, the clutch on the Corolla is slightly heavier that that on my old Civic. However, it is very manageable, and only half as heavy as that on my 1981 Jetta. The clutch pedal is certainly not to high - I find it actually too low, and sometimes find I am mashing my toes in the lever above the pedal. I just need to get used to the pedal position. The throw of the shifter is a little long, but I don't think it is worth installing a short shift kit (If there is one yet available). The feel is smooth, although a little "Notchy" when ending the throw at each gear. . Overall, I am very happy with the car, and am glad I made it's purchase.
  • corollarockscorollarocks Member Posts: 27
    I've had my 2003 Corolla for a little over
    a month, and all my cars have been stick
    for about 20 yrs. I like the way this
    car shifts..the clutch isn't too high..
    seems just right to me. In my last
    car..I got a little anxious when downshifting
    from 5th to 4th gear..thinking it might go
    into reverse. In the Corolla it's easy to
    find 4th.
  • daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    I am thinking about getting the 1994 Corrolla and it seems to run really good except for two things....

1) Gas pedal is sticky when accelerating from 0 mph.
    2) One of the rotors might be slightly bent because their is a very slight pulsing when braking. Brakes feel strong though.

How much below Kelly blue book do you think I should go? Are ether of these common problems for the 1994?
    Well, wobbly rotors are a common potential problem with any car with some miles on it - when you have them turned or replaced, be sure the wheel bolts are torqued to spec by a good torque wrench [NOT an air gun]. Uneven or overtightening is a common reason for warped rotors. Probable cost:$250-450, depending on who does the work and whether or not the old rotors can be turned.

The sticky accel pedal is probably nothing more than the linkage needing a bit of lube. Cost $0-$25, again depending on who does the work.

These are common problems with any 8 year old car - nothing specific to the '94 Corolla, which is always a good choice if there are documented maintenance records, and/or a warranty you can count on for at least a year.
  • shamgottishamgotti Member Posts: 10
    I recently bought a 2003 corolla le, and i just love my car. Recently I have noticed a loud clicking noise when shifting from park to reverse. The noise is also heard sometimes during low speed acceleration,i.e. 10-25mph. Does anyone else have this problem ? Thanks for any help.
    Nope. All Hondas click when moving out of park, and if that were all you were hearing, I wouldn't worry, even though we have heard nothing comparable on our '03 Corolla. However, noises on acceleration should always be investigated...off to the dealer with you...
  • yiceteayicetea Member Posts: 2
    I got similar problem, plus rattles from dashboard (see message 1852). I went to dealer several times. First time, they heard the noise and ask me to come back because they thought I need a loaner car. So I went back, then they couldn't hear the noise! But the noise really bothers me, so I went back again a few days later, and took the test drive with their technician. Fortunately, he heard the noise again and said it would long long time to find out why. They put me on loaner car waiting list. Three weeks passed, I heard nothing from them yet!

I am thinking go to another dealer when I need to change oil next time.
  • mtyfmtyf Member Posts: 19
    I apologize if this topic has been covered at an earlier time, I just didn't want to go through all 1943 messages!

I am really trying to decide between the 2002 Civic LX and the 2003 Corolla LE. They seem fairly equally priced, and basically it seems to come down to the CD player on the Corolla, or cruise control on the Civic. Any opinions either way? To be fair I haven't test driven the Corolla but I enjoyed driving the Civic.

Bear in mind I'm a barely-surviving grad student so if you have any info about cost advantages I'm all ears. Thanks!
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Corolla LE has 15 more horsepower than Civic LX. Yet, it has the same or better mileage. Take that for whatever it's worth in your decision.
    city/highway
    Corolla Civic
    Manual 32/40 33/39
    Automatic 30/39 30/38

Corolla also has a longer drivetrain warranty..by 2 years and 24,000 miles.
    Thanks! When I was considering older, used models (2000s) I was able to feel the difference in horsepower, the civic seeming to have a little less punch accelerating onto the freeway.
    What about safety ratings? are they pretty much equal?
    And one more question for now - does either come with an anti-theft system, or do you know how much it costs to have a dealer-installed alarm system?

Again, thanks for any info!
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    but a Civic will still keep up with a Corolla even with the hp disadvantage. Civic also has a fully independent suspension and if you are taller the Civic will definitely be a better fit. In fact over 6 ft and you won't be fitting at all.
  • behhppbehhpp Member Posts: 51
    Just drove home my 2003 Corolla LE, and it is really a nice car. Why buy a Lexus when you can get equal quality, comfort, and luxury for half the price? This car is really a good car.
  • lochlyn_decklochlyn_deck Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if there are Short Shifter/ Quickshifter Kits available for the 2003 Corolla?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You run a risk with the 2003 Corolla because it has not yet been crash-tested by the NHTSA or IIHS. The Civic has been tested and has excellent ratings on both tests. One would hope that the '03 Corolla, being a brand-new design, would have excellent crash test scores, but it is possible for a new design to do worse than the previous design. Example: '02 Camry, which has only a 2-star front side impact rating on the NHTSA tests. If you're really concerned about safety and like the Corolla, you might want to wait until its crash test scores are released.
  • tagger18tagger18 Member Posts: 4
    I also have the rattling noise from the dashboard. I took it back to the dealership and the service department manager went for a ride. There was no dispute about the noise. It was constant and very annoying. They took the dashboard out hoping to find where the noise was coming from. After spending 6 hours, they could not find the source. So they put the dashboard (which was damaged while taking it out) back in place and told me that they have to call Toyota head office for more information. I have call them back and they said an engineer from
    Toyota went to their dealership and gather all the informations. The informations were taken back to Toyota for further investigation. I don't know what kind of informations he gathered (rattling noise from dashboard??) but the service department didn't even call me when the engineer was there. I would figure if the engineer wants to gather informations, he or she should at least take a ride in my car and listen to the rattling, and not just from a 2 line report the mechanics wrote!! Anyhow, I have a feeling that it could take a long time before they find out what the problem is. I HAVE told them about the crash panel insulation (discussed earlier) and they seemed to be not very interested. My first Toyota, a disappointment so far.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Actually the NHSTA has run its first round of test on the Corolla, Side Impact, non-airbag model.
    Driver: 4stars
    Rear Pass.: 4stars
    I, as many others, am wondering about the validity of the Camry test, for several reasons. I am interested to see a re-test next year, as well as one with side-airbags/head curtains.
    ~alpha
    That's great that the '03 Corolla got good side-impact scores, but if a Corolla buyer wants to be really sure about crash safety he might want to wait for all the tests to come out. For example, the redesigned '01 Elantra got excellent NHTSA crash test scores but a Poor score on the IIHS frontal offset crash. I bought my Elantra in the fall of '00, before any crash test scores were available.
    Well, I think if you examine the Elantra crash test, that you'll see it had a strong structure- by far the most important aspect IMO, and I would have no qualms about buying one. That particular rating is one of FEW from the IIHS that I disagree with completely. Its not fair that the Elantra is rated poor, which is the same category as disasters such as the GM minivans, Daewoo Leganaza and other poor performers. (and I realize those are different classes, but it serves as an example)
    ~alpha
    As an Elantra owner, I take some solace from the fact that the Elantra has a solid body structure, and I agree that is very important. But it doesn't help me or other drivers much if the driver's air bag goes off too late or the driver's seat moves too far forward, as it did in some of the IIHS tests. What is puzzling to me is that Hyundai refuses to take any action on this issue, as other carmakers (Nissan, DC) have done recently when they had poor IIHS crash test scores due to late-deploying air bags. It's a fixable problem, but it's not being fixed. And it will hurt Hyundai because buyers who are safety conscious will shy away from the Elantra, and people who follow CR's advice will turn away also because the Elantra will not be "Recommended" as long as it has that "poor" crash test result on its record. It remains to be seen how the Camry's disappointing side-impact score will hurt its sales. Let's hope the Corolla fares better.
    Here's a new review at the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63881-2002Jul12.html

• 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    You might have to browse around TRD Japan's stuff as they had a 3 year head start on the Corolla
    thanks for the replies about safety...
    does anyone know if the 2003 LX has an engine immobilizer feature?
    another question - does anyone have a recommendation for a dealer in the Los Angeles area? who do you recommend, and why?

thank you!
    I had to take my 26" mountain bike into the
    shop this week and with the front tire
    removed and the seats folded down, it fit
    in perfectly. Glad I didn't have to get
    a bike rack.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    A customer of mine got a new Corolla on monday. She said she paid $18k out the door. Is this really possible for a Corolla or did she get taken a bit?
    I only paid $16.9 for a 2001 Nissan Altima GXE Ltd. Ed. and I thought I paid a little to much. I did buy it in november of 2000, so it was towards the start of the 2001 model year.
    Just curious. Nice car though. She got the green color.

The Sandman
    1. Yes, a Corolla could go out the door for $18k, with options and taxes.
    2. Yes, she got taken a bit IMO--must have paid near list price. In today's market, no one should have to pay list price for a compact car if they're willing to do a little research--too much competition. In my town, new Camrys are advertised for under $18k.
    If she got an LE auto with side airbags, ABS, alloys, sunroof, and leather (or even without sunroof & leather), an out the door price of 18K would be reasonable (outstanding with sunroof and leather). In NJ, Corollas are in short supply and are selling at or near MSRP. If you look on carsdirect.com, you'll see that that internet retailer is selling slighty above MSRP. I have never seen a Camry advertised for 18K, that must be for the oh so popular manual tranny with no options.
    ~alpha
  • reesesreeses Member Posts: 6
    Do I have it right that Corollas come with a 3 yr/36000 mi warranty? I looked in the manual and couldn't find any info or maybe I just missed it.
    If so then I have about a week left. Any way, the problem is that the plastic that frames the inside of the driver's side door has warped due to the hot summers we have in Houston. What I'm wondering is will the warranty cover the cost of fixing this and if it doesn't how much would it cost to fix it. Right now it's just hanging there and it's warped to where it can't even be pushed back into place at all. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Yes, you're right about the duration of that warranty. Toyotas also come with a 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty (engine and transmission).

By all means, get that plastic replaced before your warranty expires! It shouldn't have done that, regardless of how hot your summers are.
  • dpflanagandpflanagan Member Posts: 1
    I have to say, I'm very surprised by some of the nitpicky comments made on the ratings page for the 2003 Corolla. How much exactly should we expect from an economy car? I was amazed at the standard features of the 2003 and impressed by the ride as well. I also think the 2002 Civic is a great car, but ultimately went with the Corolla because my wife and I have always owned Toyotas and because the overall feel of the Corolla when we test drove it was better.

The truth is, I would be perfectly happy with either car, and both the Honda and Toyota dealers we talked with offered good prices without a lot of haggling. Ultimately, I purchased and am waiting for the delivery of a 2003 Corolla LE with side air bags, ABS, the upgraded stereo package, and a couple other little things. The price I'm paying is about $17,300.00 out the door. The prices I was offered by the Honda dealers were pretty comparable to that.

Thanks.

David
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I think you got a good deal. I'd say that if the Civic was the same price as the Corolla, I would also go for the Corolla, not just because I like Toyotas as well, but because of the value the Corolla offers over the Civic.
  • mpynempyne Member Posts: 120
    anyone have a japanese built 2003 corolla for long enough to see if any problems have arisen?? My car only has 900 miles on it so its to soon to tell.
  • nvcolornvcolor Member Posts: 9
    I bought my Corolla (LE, AT)in March of this year. At the time I bought it, I was doing quite a bit of driving and I have already put on 12,000+ miles. Some of my notes:
    1. Check engine light has come on twice. Both times were during 450 mile trips, while I had a/c running. The light came on about halfway through the trip, after I had stopped for 20 minutes or so. I took the vehicle in the first time, and the dealership checked the codes and found nothing wrong. The second time, the light went off 1 day later, before I had a chance to get the car to the dealer.
    2. My car was one of the first built (US made), so I was affected by the early recall. I found out about the recall on this site, and dealer corrected it at first service.

That is it, as far as problems are concerned. No rattles, squeaky brakes, the fit is good, and I am very happy with my purchase. The car suits my needs (basic commuting, now) very well. It is not our main family transport vehicle, but my wife, two kids, dog, and luggage can fit in it very comfortably if we have to. My best mpg was 42, on a trip between Kansas City and Minneapolis. I had a slight tailwind, and the a/c was off - 70 to 75 mph the whole way. My overall mpg, city and highway, remains at about 33-34. FWIW, my previous vehicle was a Mazda Millenia, and I am convinced the Corolla has just as much interior room as the Mazda. Plus, maintenance is more reasonable, and the timing chain vs timing belt is a huge selling point in my opinion.
    My 1996 Corolla DX has put me into a very frustrating situation. Since its purchase in January, the rear-left power window has stopped working, the shifter column light has burnt out, aftermarket sunroof has broken and I found that the car does not have anti-lock brakes as I was told it did by the last owner. All of these problems have been around for a few months but just recently I had the sunroof checked. I was told that the Vanmuelen-Hollandia sunroof's motor would need to be replaced at a cost of several hundred dollars...just a few more hundred would replace the sunroof. However, it is a non-standard sized one (of course for my luck). It used to tilt and slide back but now only tilts and I was told not to open it at all because the motor could go out and I'd be left with an open sunroof. This is my first car and you can see I am very frustrated. I didn't intend to buy a car with a glass window in the roof nor a car without ABS. I can always sell it and I did get a good deal on it so it may be possible for me to sell it at or above the price I paid. I don't want to lose too much money on the deal if I did. I could also keep the vehicle until next summer when 1998-1999 Celicas (the car I'd want to replace it with) are lower in price. Having the Corolla for another year would help me to continue gaining experience without the struggle of dealing with a sporty car. Any suggestions or insight? Your thoughts are much appreciated.

And just to sum up my point--it's not like I want a different car because I don't like the way it looks (because I think this is one of the best looking small sedans made at that time) but because the features that I wanted don't exist anymore--ABS and power sunroof were the reasons I bought this car over all others.
    It's pretty simple, actually. Just ask yourself if you can live for another year with a car that has a power rear window that doesn't work, a sunroof that doesn't open, and no ABS, while you save up for your Celica. A lot of people drive cars without power windows, sunroofs, and ABS. Shoot, my car has power windows but no sunroof or ABS, and I like it just fine. Also find out how much cheaper those 98-99 Celicas really will be one year from now. They've already had their steepest depreciation, so one more year won't make all that much difference, maybe a couple of thousand if that. Also find out for how much you could sell a six-year-old Corolla with a non-operating window and a non-operating sunroof. Prospective buyers may be turned off by those failings as much as you are, and you'll need to drop the price accordingly.
    Yeah Backy...and besides...who uses a sunroof in the winter anyway? Plus I lock my other windows so my sister and her friends don't put them up and down. :-D I'll stick it out for a year. But also Backy, you knew what you were getting in your car...I didn't know what I was getting, well I actually I did but it only lasted for a little while. You'd be surprised to see how expensive 1996-1997 Corollas are in the Cincinnati area. Dealers are charging at least $9,000 for Corollas with not nearly as many options as mine has.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Coolguyky7, you've impressed me with your maturity and judgment since your very first post. That being said, be SURE to check insurance rates on that Celica before you even think of buying one. Insurance companies + young males + even a hint of sporty often = MUCH MONEY.

Maybe not in this case, but I have seen it happen too often. The time to know what the insurance is going to cost is BEFORE you buy the car.

That being said, I hope this works out for you. My advice, too, would be to wait, but this is a close call.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    My drivers side rear window on my '96 DX also works but then it stops working for a couple of months, then it works again. Some sort of gremlin in there. I also had to replace the bulb in the shifter, wasn't a big deal though. Don't have a sunroof or ABS, so not a problem. All I can say is to get the shifter light fixed and keep the power windows in the lock position. Live with the broken sunroof and save up your money for about a year. The car drives flawlessly otherwise and you're young enough, so bite the bullet for a bit longer.
    On a side note, am renting a new Camry this weekend and man, does it drive smoothly! A little to big for me, but what a car!

The Sandman :-)
    Yes, I'm hoping that the insurance rates on the last generation Celica are lower than what would be expected since it's more of a sporty coupe, having only 130 horsepower. I would definitely investigate that. Also, because I'm so picky, I may just wait until a car like I desire comes along in the local market...and since I am so picky...I just might be waiting longer than next summer. :-) Thanks for your opinions everyone.

Amd another thing on insurance...this girl my age has a 98 Eclipse convertible and either her insurance was very reasonable or was twice what I pay, depending on if the $900 was semi-annual or annual.
  • luckykluckyk Member Posts: 11
    Just picked up 2003 Corolla S. Great internet purchase experience. $14926 before taxes. Had to order. Took 4 weeks. No power problems with 4 cyl on Calif highways. What a relief. 35 mpg on first tank. I'm impressed.

Question: I'm in the service and have to go through a military gate to get to work. At night, we are asked to dim our lights as we approach. I can't figure out how to do that. The daytime running light systems seems to have taken over control of the headlights. Even when I manually turn on the headlights after starting but before disengaging the parking brake, the level of intensity reduction going from headlights on to parking lights is not sufficient.

What button/procedure am I missing?
  • mbbstimsmbbstims Member Posts: 16
    Hello Toyota lovers!

Believe it or don't,My 2003 Corolla CE is the first car I have ever owned with AC.
    Recently, I went on a several hundred mile trip.About 3 hours (maybe more) into the trip the AC became warmer and warmer until it was not effective at all.I turned it off for a few hours and when I turned it back on it was ok for another 3 hours or so.The weather during the trip was very hot.Is this normal for car ACs?

Also,a couple of my windows seem to be loose.(a little "sloppy" in the channels).They crank ok though).If you grab the glass you can move it up and down about an inch.Is this normal? 6000 miles on the car.

THANK YOU ,mbbstims
    You are going to discover there is no way to do what you want to do, short of turning off the engine. The automatic headlight feature, which I really like, is going to override whatever you do with the steering column switch, period. If the guards can't handle that, then I guess the world will have to come to an end.

As an ex-Army brat, and AF vet, I know of course of the signs you are referring to. I guess they'll just have to somehow make allowances for your car, because I know of no way to override the system on the '03 - it takes its cue from the little button you see on the dash on the driver's side. That is the sensor for the automatic headlights. I guess you could carry a flashlight and shine it on the sensor, but my guess is that would get the guards' pants even more in a bunch...
    Has anyone seen a Corolla with leather yet? If you've gotten the chance to get in...what was it like?
    Alright, post 2000! I was able to remove a large white scuff mark on my car today that has been on it since I bought it. I used a product called Goof Off and carefully applied it using a Q-Tip and then wiped off the area with water after I dabbed it with the chemical. Works great and looks great!
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    Can anyone else report on their gas mileage on the 03 Corolla with automatic tranny?

I'm trying to decide between a Corolla and the ECHO.
  • luckykluckyk Member Posts: 11
    jrct9454 - thanks for the validation of what I feared might be the case.

What's up with that?

I knew I'd get an answer here! Who would have ever thought I'd have to check the lights would turn off as a part of the research and purchase process? I should have been visiting the town hall more often but I just got back from a 6 mos deployment and.....well....just didn't have the access.

Hey, I tried to start a 2003 specific discussion. Was turned off by the sedan moderator. What's up with that?

You new Corolla owners......is this something we need? There's not even an owner's club thread on the new Corollas. Am I in left field here?

I've been visiting this town hall since '99. Infrequent poster, however. So is that reason to shut me out of starting a discussion that certainly has a place in this town hall? One of the great things about this site used to be that the post'ers ran the show. Guess it's gotten too big.

Opinions?