Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your Corolla. I hope they get it fixed for you soon. Could it simply be that the wheels are severely misaligned?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I would hope that the dealer already checked balance and alignment. Assuming that those two things checked out my guess would be a defective tire. A seperated belt would make the rearview wobble, and would make the car handle strangely. Have the dealer swap out all four tires/wheels with another car. Drive it for a day - if that works you know exactly what the problem is.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...a bad tire could indeed be the cause of all of these symptoms.
  • corolla_joycorolla_joy Member Posts: 2
    I definitely have been looking for any kind of answers to this handling issue, as it has affected my life way too much.
    Actually, I do not think the dealer checked the tires at all. Alignment and tires seem to be a good suggestion to make. Also, I really like that idea about trying other tires for a day!
    I am hoping that it is a easy fix because I love the car otherwise! It has made me very envious to see all other owners being very happy with their corolla experience and so, that is why I would still like to know what happened with Vicarouza's experience....
    Thanks again! I'll keep you all "posted" and please let me know if any other suggestions are thought of.
    P.S. jrct9454, I am also from the Sacramento area...what dealership did you purchase your car from?
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    This may be late, but I put the 195/65 14 on my 95. The tires worked great with one exception. Too much weight in the back seat/trunk could make the rear bounce on the wrong bumps. My 95 now has the 185/65 14 size again.

Another thing too, have you checked your axles lately? Both of my front axles have been replaced.
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    anyone here work for a toyota dealer?
    just wondering coz i have a question about the 03' corollas.

i was told that toyota will allow dealers to only order so many cars each month and this is why it's creating such a long wait list for the customers who are buying 03' corollas and matrix. apparently, this is because the model is new so toyota is doing this. i don't know is this is true or not.

i'm still waiting for my car to arrive. i was told my car went "into transit" aug. 9th and should be in my area this week but still no news. :(
  • dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    The law of supply and demand. Of course since it's a new design right now the car is selling like hot cakes. Toyota can't make them fast enough so you'll have to wait.
  • heplhepl Member Posts: 1
    I have experienced a problem with my `03 Corolla identical to what was described in post #2061; namely, there is a clicking sound when turning corners that seems to come from the front passenger wheel. It also occurs (though less often) when going over bumps. I've taking to the dealer twice, and they couldn't duplicate the problem (it is, admittedly, intermittent). Any ideas what could be the cause?
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    I finally had a chance to compare these 3 back to back. Before the test drives, I checked the tire pressure to make sure it was correct. Here's my evaluation (note that I've only included a few things). All had adequate power for normal driving, IMHO.

Civic LX with auto
    HIGHS: Well weighted steering, a "connected to the road feeling", really fun to drive. Good view over the hood. Minimal engine or wind noise. Good driver's armrest. Simple, no-nonsense pricing (LX,EX etc).
    LOWS: Lots of road noise spoils the fun! Ride can be bumpy. Same old styling and color selection (would it hurt if they added just a little more pizzazz?)

Corolla LE with auto
    HIGHS: Looks and feels expensive, roomy rear seat, higher seating, outside temperature gauge, better color selection than Civic.
    LOWS: Steering felt very light (I could fall asleep at the wheel), sometimes floaty ride, more wind/engine noise than Civic, higher dashboard than Civic. Useless armrest. Not so simple pricing, lots of "options" but not as bad as Matrix (in this regard).

Matrix XR with auto
    HIGHS: High seating position (one just slides into the seat), good view over dashboard, better steering feel than Corolla but not as good as Civic, better ride than Corolla (Matrix less floaty) or Civic (Matrix less bumpy). Very roomy seating and great flexibility for carrying cargo/people. Reasonable color selection.
    LOWS: Instruments/gauges overdesigned at the expense of ergonomics(Pontiac/Toyota were trying too hard to make them look cool). Monotonous black/gray interior, a lighter contrast color would give it an airier feeling, IMHO. Useless armrest. Wind noise same as Corolla, and more than Civic. No folding mirrors for a vehicle that's almost 70" wide. Absurd looking mandatory "optional" ground effects. Even more absurd and overly complicated pricing with lots of options.

For my needs, the Matrix offered the best balance between driving fun and functionality. Unfortunately, Toyota has ruined the Matrix's appeal and styling with its absurd "options". I've heard that Honda will be out with the Stream/Latitude next year, and that may end up being the vehicle I finally buy.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Have the CV joints looked at. It is not unheard of for new cars to have bad CV joints. My Integra needed two front half shafts (w/ 4 CV joints) before it was a few months old - under warrenty of course.

Could also be a wheel bearing.

Crank the wheel all the way to one side and gun the engine - that should duplicate the problem if it is a CV joint. Try both directions. They can also feel for play in the CV joints if they have the car up on a rack.
    picking up '03 corolla tomorrow! :)

actual wait time for the car from the time i ordered it is around 14 days. not bad at all considering others have waited as long as 2 months!
  • vwmonsoonvwmonsoon Member Posts: 16
    I have a 1996 Corolla. It's a 1.6 with 3 speed auto. How much faster and quieter is the 03 Corolla compare to the 96 Corolla? Is the ride much better in the 03? And one more question, does the remote keyless entry in the 03 Corolla opens the trunk too?
    Faster? Oh yeah, especially compared to your drivetrain. The difference will be noticeable and very positive.

Quieter? At cruise, yes. During acceleration, probably not, or at best, a wash. Your engine is quieter but has to rev harder because of the ancient 3-spd. The new one is loud on acceleration, but settles down very nicely when you are cruising. And road and wind noise are definitely better.

Ride? No question, the new car is better. It settles faster after bumps, doesn't transmit as much harshness in the cabin, but handles better for a variety of reasons.

Remote? No, the standard keyless entry does not open the trunk - you have to use the key or the inside release.
    got my '03 corolla last night and the car is beautiful! :) drives really nice, excellent ride.
    so much nicer ride than a '02 civic in my opinion.

the 5 speed i think is not as nice as a honda 5 speed but still, it shifts smoothly. the headlights are so bright at night!

anyways, my rating for this car would be 10 out of 10!
  • 2003corolla2003corolla Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone know when the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is going to test the 2003 Corolla? I am awaiting the results to consider purchasing the new model or not. I currently have a 1999 Corolla...

Thanks
    Andy
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    Can anyone with a "00" to "02" Corolla help me out with some feedback? It seems that my "01" Corolla gets wet under all four doors after rain or washing on the plastic strip that you actually step over to get in the car. This is the strip that is around 3 to 4 inches wide that extends to cover the actual car body directly under each door (when closed). It seems to me that this location is actually on the inside of the weather stripping and should not get wet but strangely enough it happens under all four doors. so I'm wondering if it is normal. Does anyone else see this happening?
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    are you referring to the plastic area that sort of has ridges in it? if you're referring to what I think you are mine gets wet too - I have noticed this after washing my '01 -
    ...it is not inside the weatherstripping, and will always be as wet as the outside of the car.
    Yes Britton, that is what I am referring to. Thank you both for your response. I think I am a little paranoid about leaks now because water did come in from my moonroof(original manufacture) two days ago during a long soaking rain. I believe it came in where the two clips attach my wind deflector for the moonroof.
    Actually, after double checking my door after hearing from you, that plastic strip that Britton and I are talking about is on the inside of the weatherstripping. It most likely is normal, but it is strange that water could get to that point because all my doors seal perfectly.
  • boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    I am just curious on what other owners are getting after driving their new 2003 Corolla's after awhile. Thanks very much for all input!!!!
    you are right - it is on the inside of the weatherstripping - but I guess as long as the water is on the plastic part and not the actual floorboard, carpet, seats, etc it is nothing to be too concerned about and probably is normal.
  • 914914 Member Posts: 15
    Boilerman - I am finding with heavy air conditioner usage, I average 35 MPG in a combination city/highway driving.. What are you getting with you car?
  • boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    On my first tank of gas, I only averaged maybe 26.5 of mostly highway driving at best. On my 2nd tankful, it looks like I will get around 30-31 mpg. Hopefully, things will get better as the car gets broken in. Overall,I really like the car but disappointed in the gas mileage. I am 43 years old and am not a leadfoot either... Any other comments on other's gas mileage??
  • laksjlaksj Member Posts: 19
    I get ~30 mpg with mine (75%/25% highway/city driving). I am a leadfoot, however (my highway driving is usually at 90+ mph, when the cops aren't looking :)) and I leave the a/c on all the time.

BTW, mine is the 2002 Corolla.
    I consistently get about 36 mpg on my 02 5-speed. This is on a daily 60 mile commute with mix highway and city traffic.
  • behhppbehhpp Member Posts: 51
    I am getting around 28 MPG in 100% city driving, with the A/C on full time. I have an automatic 03 Corolla with about 1100 miles. I need to get my car on the highway for an extended trip and see how it does.
    mine's a '01 - 4 speed automatic - I usually get 30-31 mpg city - but one time I got 34 mpg city (but only once!) - on the highway I usually get 39-40 mpg - on my last tank - I averaged 37.4 mpg - this was 50% highway, 50% city miles -
  • nikolaikinnikolaikin Member Posts: 17
    I was trying to get Corolla LE with auto, cruise control and floor mats. Tried to get a price close to $15.200. Dealler printed out his cost for the car.
    MFG BASE PRICE......DLR $ 13544.00 MSR $ 15480.00
    TOTAL FACT. OPTIONS.....$ 230.00 MSR $ 290.00
    TOTAL PORT OPTIONS......$ 150.00 MSR $ 142.00
    DELIVERY/PROC./HANDL....$ 525.00 MSR $ 525.00
    M.A.F...................$ 203.00 MSR $
    2% HOLDBACK MSRP........$ 309.00 MSR $
    PIO HOLDBACK............$ 13.00
    DEALLER OPTIONS.........$ 152.00 MSR $ 152.00
    1%FINANCE RESERV MSRP...$ 154.00

TOTAL : $ 15280.10
    In additional to that he wants to charge me $245.00 PDI fee. He said it's a port fee and all deallers have to pay it. Total price is $15525.10
    and he wants 5% in top of that.
    Could you please let me know which charge is a BS
    here. I've never heard that holdback is paid by
    customer. And what M.A.F. is? Dealler is in central Texas.
    Thank you a lot.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    MAF may be an advertising fee; the dealer should be able to tell you what it is. Some dealers (Toyota and others) charge an advertising fee, and some do not. You can shop around, but if all the Toyota dealers in your area charge the fee, you are probably stuck with it.

The holdback may be negotiable. How long has the car sat on the dealer's lot? If it just got there, or will be delivered in the near future, then the dealer hasn't to actually eat into the holdback yet, so it doesn't yet reflect a cost to them. If the car has been on the lot for a couple of months, most or all of the holdback may be used up, so then it really is a cost to the dealer. Even so, this dealer's policy may be not to negotiate on the holdback, especially on a car in as much demand as the Corolla.

I have no idea what the 1% finance reserve is; I've never seen such a thing in 30 years of car buying (including three Toyotas). Ask the dealer what it's for. If it is to help pay for finance charges while the car sits on the dealer's lot, and the car hasn't sat for long, then it may be negotiable because the dealer hasn't incurred that cost yet. Doesn't hurt to ask.

The dealer installed options may be negotiable, if they are things that you really don't need/want. For example, some dealers charge a lot of money for things like mudflaps and paint sealant and pinstripes. If you tell the dealer that you don't want those things, they can either remove them, or they may just throw them in. Their actual cost on these items is pretty low, so the charge is mostly pure profit.

I've also never heard of a separate port fee. That's what the Destination charge is supposed to be for. But if all the dealers in your area charge it, it might be hard to get around.

Another thing to do is be sure the dealer believes that he is competing not only with other Toyota dealers, but with dealers for other makes. Check out the pricing on cars like the Elantra GLS, Lancer ES, and Protege LX, which can be had for at least a couple of thousand less than what the dealer is offering on the Corolla. The more you make it sound like you have alternatives, the more the dealer is likely to deal.
    Don't even begin to think about what your final fuel consumption averages are going to be until the car has at least 5000 miles on it. Until then, both power and fuel mileage will gradually increase. We are in the middle of a road trip that is averaging 75 mph with the AC on full blast, and altitude variations of 4000 feet, and we have averaged 34 mpg on our '03 automatic LE with just a little over 4k on the odo.

Around the suburbs, we generally do 29-31 on a regular basis. As the engine has started to loosen up, the extra power is noticeable, and we have seen slow but steady improvement in fuel use. No oil consumption at all - this engine is a fine piece of work.
    those of you who owns a 2003 corolla or matrix with manual 5 speed - do you find that you have to step on the clutch real hard/all the way to the floor to start up the engine?

just wondering. thanks
    I have to step all the way on my 02 to get it to start. Just a little misstep and it won't turn over. You have to push it ALL the way down until it won't go any further.
  • okmomokmom Member Posts: 37
    We looking a car for our two teenage girls.
    we fond '01 Corolla LE 32000 miles w/ power lock/mirrors/cd/cruise for $11000.
    I think the price is fair.
    What we don't like about is we learn from carfax this was rental car. Many people abused it.
    Also it doesn't have ABS. We have two other cars both w/ ABS.
    What do you think? Should we get this one or wait to see better deal comes up?
    Is there any known problems w/ this model?

Thanks.
    I have a 2001 Corolla LE and I have not experienced any problems - but then mine only has 10,550 miles on it - I bought mine brand new about 18 months ago - I have been driving for 28 years and have never had a car with ABS - I'm not saying that's good or bad it's just that I have done just fine without them and am used to driving with regular brakes - my car gets 30-31 MPG in the city and so far I am not aware of any recalls whatsoever - no rattles either - I think the 2003 Corolla looks alot better than mine but even so I am very happy with my '01 LE.
  • ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    I have had 12000 trouble free miles in my 2001 Corolla S. This car seems to do everything well.
  • mpynempyne Member Posts: 120
    i would check out the chevy prizm instead. its the same car but cheaper. for 11k you can get one with lower miles and probably same/more options. only thing negative about the prizm is the gm warranty, but with the savings you could buy an extended warranty if needed(car might be certified anyway).

regarding abs, it all depends how they were taught
    i was taught to pump the brakes in panic situations so when
    i had a car with abs i didnt feel comfortable with them.

to check out prices try these sites

autotrader.com
    getauto.com
    cartrackers.com

them seem to have the biggest databases.
  • okmomokmom Member Posts: 37
    Thanks, mpyne.
    This evening, my husband fond the slightly bent hood and crack on the fuse box when he test drove '01 corolla. (also, Power Mirrors didn't work.)
    He thinks something heavy dropped on the hood.
    The sales parson agreed to sale for 10,500$.
    And then 10 mins later, he said he cannot sale it less than 10,900$.
    The car run fine, but we don't feel comfortable buying the car from this dealer.

We will check on Prizm.
    just interested to find out from those of you who owns a 03' corolla, what do you like and don't like about the car? :)
  • behhppbehhpp Member Posts: 51
    Like:
    Gas mileage
    Low price for excellent quality built car
    handling
    sound system
    plenty of room inside, and driver sits up high
    appearance inside and out

Dislike:
    The arm rest needs padding

Overall, I have been more than satisfied with this car. The longer I drive it the more I have enjoyed it.
  • shamgottishamgotti Member Posts: 10
    Likes;
    fuel economy, comfy seats, interior room, styling (interior and exterior), stereo and driver seat height adjustment.

don't like;
    semi independent rear suspension, need about 20 more horsepower.

I have the "LE" version, I wonder how owners of the "S" and "CE" feel.
    i like the car a lot except:
    - driver seat could be a little bit more harder, i find it soft
    - that annoying safety switch that prevents the car from starting unless you step on the clutch! it's a nice feature but it doesn't work too well if you have thick rubber mats. :(
    - the top portion of the windshield doesn't have tint to block the sun
    - no standard a/c for all models unlike in US!

all these years, toyota finally learned to include the tachometer as standard equipment on all models! it's about time!
  • nikolaikinnikolaikin Member Posts: 17
    Are any Japanese built Corollas S out there now? I saw a lot of LEs and CEs with J VIN number but never seen S model.
  • corolla_grlcorolla_grl Member Posts: 17
    Well here are my likes (loves) about my '03 Corolla S fully loaded Toyota:

Smooth ride
    Quiet ride
    Very roomy (way more room over my old civic)
    Standard options
    Great dealership experience
    Gas milage
    Great price for all the options
    Hagle free shopping on internet
    Styling
    Very comfortable seats
    Handling
    Cd player/changer
    Great sound system (no cheapy speakers like civic)
    Great power (more power than my 5 speed civic)
    Free oil changes
    High safety ratings
    Lots of trunk space (perfect for stroller) :-)
    Roomy back seats
    Roomy middle seat perfect for baby car sear
    Latch system for car seats
    Lots of storage
    Cup holders that actually hold the cup in place so it doesnt fall on floor and spill everywhere
    The bright white tachometers
    Fog lights
    Day time running lights

Dislikes:

Don't have one yet. I totalyl love this car and am hoping it stands up like my 89 Camry did...10 years 114,000 miles and no problems!!!
  • afruszalaafruszala Member Posts: 2
    I have a 00' Corolla LE with 50K miles. From day
    one the car pulled to the left and steering wheel
    was slightly off center. The dealer checked allignment said it was perfect. They put new Michelin tires on (under warrenty of course)- Same
    problem. Recently got new tires and had allignment
    rechecked by a local store (STS tires)- same problem. I've learned to live with the problem
    because after three years (with the exception of this problem) the car has been flawless. I'm very happy with the gas milage (30-34 mpg), performence and ride.
    I have to admit I'm stumped by this problem and so is the dealer. One thing I noticed is that the steering wheel is wants to center itself, and as a result pulls to the left slightly. Has anyone else noticed this problem??
  • afruszalaafruszala Member Posts: 2
    I have a 00' Corolla LE with 50K miles. From day
    one the car pulled to the left and steering wheel
    was slightly off center. The dealer checked allignment said it was perfect. They put new Michelin tires on (under warrenty of course)- Same problem. Recently got new tires and had allignment
    rechecked by a local store (STS tires)- same problem. I've learned to live with the problem
    because after three years (with the exception of this problem) the car has been flawless. I'm very happy with the gas milage (30-34 mpg), performance and ride.
    I have to admit I'm stumped by this problem and so is the dealer. One thing I noticed is that the steering wheel wants to center itself, and as a result pulls to the left slightly. Has anyone else noticed this problem??
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    This may sound stupid, but have you tried swapping the left front and right front tires and see what happens? We had this same problem on a Camry years ago, and after multiple tire brand changes and aggrevation, we had them swap left to right and was a lot better, not dead on perfect, but better.
    Hope this helps.

The Sandman :-)
  • corolla_grlcorolla_grl Member Posts: 17
    That happened to my Honda civic. I told the dealer to swap my tires from front to back and then do a 4 wheel alignment and then balance them. Solved the problem. Just don't have it done at a dealership. Will cost you about 100 bucks or more. Go to a tire place should only cost 40-49 bucks.

Oh and I prefer to buy my tires at Wal Mart. You get a lifetime tire service where they balance and rotate for free every 3k miles, tire damage repair for holes, ect.

Hopefully the tires on my new corolla will last longer than 2 years...the tires on the civics are cheap! These look like good solid tires with a great warranty.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Even my Corolla needs a 4 wheel alignment, i think all the Corollas from the last 3 generations all need 4 wheel alignments. Come to think of it, my '88 FX also needed one. The dealership should know this already, and if they don't, RUN!

The Sandman :-)
  • cjohn5cjohn5 Member Posts: 4
    Under routine driving conditions, good service record, no prior service problem, my wife and I experienced complete engine failure at 62,344 miles (Toyota Corolla). Piston/Rod #4 failed/broke and created three large holes in the bottom block of the engine. Toyota Service Department at Stone Mountain Toyota in Stone Mountain GA refused to cover costs associated with repair despite the fact that we were only 2,000 miles over warranty. I refused service charges of between $6,000 and $2,500 and picked my car up with a flat bed trailer. I have replaced the engine myself with the help of a friend and I continue to pursue reimbursement from Toyota. Toyota national, regional, and local have all refused to consider my case despite the premature death of my engine caused by an obvious unspecified manufacturers defect.

With Toyota’s current problems with Engine Sludge going back 8 years, I believe that Toyota vehicles are about to see a massive increase in engine failures. Our Corolla is not specifically included in the company’s Engine Sludge alert (Quasi Recall) but I wonder if it could be very soon.

Buyer BEWARE! Toyota will not help you when their famous high quality engines fail!