Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• everydayeveryday Member Posts: 53
    Anything is better than Firestones, another way Toyota is making the cars cheaper.
  • boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    I have the Goodyear Integrity tires and they suck..... And that is as clean as I can put it... Nice car, cheap as dirt tires on it. Wind Whipped Buggy 2003 2004 Toyota Corolla is going to be nicknamed the "EDGE" because that is where it always seems to be going.. to the edge of the road..
  • fgf001fgf001 Member Posts: 98
    Have you noticed any improvement during windy conditions?
  • superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
    corolla tires seem to be too thin, very wobbly(?)
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I don't know....Goodyears are equally bad.

Michelins cost more, but it's worth every penny
  • soure1soure1 Member Posts: 9
    Yes, I've got to say there has been an improvement under windy conditions. It seems like I don't have to make steering corrections nearly as often as with the Firestones. The tires feel like they are 205's rather than the 195's that they are. By that I mean they feel much more stable on the road. And besides, as someone posted, anything is an improvement over Firestones.
  • ata3001ata3001 Member Posts: 30
    I own a 2001 Corolla S 5 spd that came factory equipped with Michelin 185/65x14 tires and factory alloys. They seem very poor in wet weather conditions. I purchased a set of Toyota TRD wheels with tires. Size is 205/45x16. What an incredible difference they made. No more wandering on the highway. The resistance to being blown around from the wind is much better. The trade off is that they are both noisier and a little harsher riding. I guess you can't have both.
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    to those of you interested in protecting your 03' corolla radiator from bugs and little rocks...
    i installed a bug screen right in front of the radiator and invisible from the outside. works great, protects your radiator and cheap! you can only see the screen if you look under the bumper or peek through the grill.
    took me less than 30mins. to install it.

just buy fiberglass bug screen and cut to the correct size. it's better if you can get another set of hands to help you.
    - remove 2 bolts/brackets that holds the radiator.
    - lift the radiator a bit so you can slide the screen underneath it.
    - lower radiator so it will sit on the screen and hold it in place. pull up the rest of the screen and use the bracket on each corner to hold screen in place.
    - screw back in the bolts and you are done!

you may have a bit of pulling to do on the screen so it's tight. other than this, the install is real easy. i did this for my sienna van as well. works real great. lots of room between the grill and radiator for the 03' corolla so it's real easy to install the screen.

btw, cost of the screen was about C$5.00 :)
    good way to keep your radiator from getting damaged by rocks or bugs
    Thanks, that's a good tip.
    One of the known boo-boos for the '03 Corolla is the total lack of thigh support for drivers 6' tall & over (5 speed). My temporary solution is a wedge shaped seat cushion with the thick part towards the steering wheel for thigh support. It's a pain getting in & out as you always have to rearrange the damn thing to fit correctly. Certainly other tall folks have this same problem...I'd love to hear your solutions short of replacing the entire seat. I can drive my lady's '03 with no problem as it's an automatic and seat placement is not critical to reach only two pedals and there's no concern about shifting smoothly.
    i have the exact same problem as you! i'm not 6' tall though. :) i'm only around 5'10" and each time i get in, i have to mess around with the seat position coz my wife drives the car as well. the position is important to be able to shift properly in a 5 speed. i had to fight with the seat adjustment for the 1st month we got the car and my back was aching so bad too coz of the seat!

but now, it's ok for me. i guess my back got used to the position. i just adjust the seat enough so i can reach the pedals and i try to lean back a bit. seems to work well for me. i also have seat covers so it sort of acts as extra cushion.

i find the front seats too narrow on the 03' corolla. my right hip is always hitting the seat belt mechanism.
    I've no problem with lumbar support just the thigh issue....others? comments?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...by taking a conventional seat cushion [offered at all Kragen's and similar stores] and using it differently than designed.

These are the seat cushions that are designed to fit over the seat with both backrest and seat bottom covered with the new cushion. I fold it down and turn it around, so the LONG part, which was intended to be for the seatback, is on top of the short part and both are now deployed on the seat bottom [a folded package]. You can then secure it with a bungee or something similar threaded through the package and around the back of the seat, so it doesn't want to move around.

This does two things: it increases thigh support, and also boosts the seating position about a half inch higher, which helps for those of us long of leg.

I realize this description sounds convoluted, and a purely verbal medium doesn't easily convey what needs to be done, but essentially, you're using a conventional two-part aux cushion differently than designed, sitting on BOTH portions with the long part facing up. Hope you can visualize what I'm talking about. We have used this approach with Corollas, Accords, and Camrys to increase both height and thigh support.
    Thanks, I've got the general idea. I'll need to experiment because I don't need more height due to the sunroof encroaching into the headroom. I'm wondering if a good auto upholstery shop could modify the seat? I don't really care if they match the fabric or not.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Fiberglass bug screen: as in fiberglass screendoor material? I thought of the same thing for my car, but wasn't sure what material would be best.
    yes, same material. i bought mine in a big roll. the screen on my sienna is 3yrs. old and no problems at all. i installed the one on my 03' corolla last weekend and no problems either.

i dont think u can use aluminum screen coz they break easily. fiberglass screen is flexible so it works great. mine is the black color.
  • soure1soure1 Member Posts: 9
    Has anybody else with an LE five-speed noticed that your arm has a tendency to hit the top edge of the armrest when shifting. My sister has the S model and the armrest is lower, as it is, too, on the CE. I was thinking of replacing mine with another model's lid, instead of always leaving it up.
    I haven't noticed that on my LE at all. Just a thought..you might try raising the seat (from the knob on the left side) just a tad to see if it offers you any more clearance.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Nikolaikin.....thanks for all those pix of other Corolla models....Corolla Verso is pretty much our Matrix with a different beltline/D-pillar treatment....to my eyes it's more attractive (maybe it's just the lack of tacky sideskirts and spoilers). What really caught my eye, however, is the Corolla Wagon/Fielder/Estate....Toyota, please bring this car to us NOW! While the Matrix 5-door hatch may be ok for singles/couples who don't regularly need to use the back seat for people and can fold it down for increased cargo room, it falls woefully short for a small family when you have to put kids back there. The cargo area with the back seats up is just too small. If you say, well, we have the RAV-4 and Highlander; well, not everybody needs/wants/can afford an SUV.
    The Corolla Wagon would be perfect....family sized cargo room, amazing gas mileage and all the other virtues of the Corolla sedan, including an affordable price. Make mine an LE with leather.
    My ultimate Corolla wagon would have the Matrix's
    V-Flex awd system and the Camry's 4 Cyl. engine, but I think I could live with FWD/Corolla 4.
    To all Toyota sedan owners.....how's entry/exit with the 2003 Corolla? I like the taller styling and the hip point seems higher than a regular car (very important for me & my wife).
    Toyota, you could own the small wagon segment with the Corolla wagon.....competition?
    Ford Focus Wagon....perfect size, high hip point, sharp styling but, as FORD stands for Faults, Omissions, Recalls, Defects......well, you get my point.
    VW Jetta wagon....base engine is weak, up-level engines need premium fuel, expensive and back seat is cramped.
    Subaru Impreza wagon...more of a five door hatch and back seat is very cramped...not practical for families.
    So come on, Toyota.....there's a whole market segment waiting for you!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Nah...

They'd have to take it away from Subaru and Mazda (with the Protege 5, perhaps the finest small wagon made...)

Where they COULD clean up but are missing the boat is in the mid-size wagon segment, where only FORD has a mass production product that sells in any numbers...for now. I hear Mazda may be bringing in a Mazda6 wagon a year from now, and Ford itself is bringing the Freestyle (formerly known as the Crosstrainer).

Wagons and hatchbacks are both neglected in the US market. My guess is makers have had the luxury of pushing would be buyers into SUV's. Pity.
    Love the Mazda P5 but it, like the Matrix, has too small a cargo area with the rear seats up. (as does the Impreza). Mazda6 looks great and is coming....is a little bit too traditional in that it is as low as a sedan.....like the higher hip-point of the Corolla....still, the more choices, the better!
  • qwer01184qwer01184 Member Posts: 9
    Hello,
    I have an Corolla SE 2001. Since I bought it (new) I use 91 gas. Some people tell me that using 91 doesn't do my car a favor and just waste money. Should I continue to use 91 gas or should I switch to 87 ?
    Thanks,
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Those people are right. Your Corolla's engine is designed to work just fine on 87 octane. Using anything higher won't do anything but lighten your wallet.
    backy is 100% correct. 87 octane is all that your car requires. If you bought it new you should still have the owner's manual...check it out.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    that's true that 87 is all that's necessary - but in my '01 LE I usually use 89 and get better mileage than with the 87 - on my last tank I used 93 (I filled up at Sam's and they only have 87 or 93) and I got a little over 34 mpg (city) - which is pretty good - this is with the 4-speed automatic tranny -
  • qwer01184qwer01184 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the answers. Now I can switch to 87 with peach in mind :-). Thanks again.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Not only do the Subaru and Mazda have much less cargo space than a Corolla wagon would have, but they are also gas guzzlers. The Imprezza gets 28 highway, the Mazda 30 against 41 for the Corolla.

I would also love a Corolla Wagon - used to have one. I had a large recycling bin that would not fit in my Taurus wagon, but would fit in the Corolla - roomy, effecient and fun to drive.
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    My wife and I will likely be testing a new Corolla this week. Is there anything I should be looking for on an individual car in terms of problems with this new model?

We are also looking at the Mazda Protege, Saturn Ion and possibly the Nissan Sentra (still to be tested) to replace our old Civic. We aren't all that impressed with the new Civic and we don't like our local Honda dealer much.
    A couple of thoughts - If you are 5'10" or taller, and buying a five speed Corolla, the driver's seat lacks thigh support....with an automatic the seat isn't a factor.
    If you are going to get a sunroof make sure you drive a car WITH a sunroof as it lessens headroom....I didn't and wish I had. I don't regret the purchase one bit but wish I had paid closer attention to the above mentioned items.

The Protege is a BALL to drive but lacks the high MPG, quietness,fit and finish, high resale, and bulletproof reliability of the Toyota products. No, I'm not dumping on the Protege, just looking at it with the cold hard eyes of reality. I still miss my 626 V-6 5 speed but not the many repairs.
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    The Protege did very well in the latest small car comparison in Car and Driver. We really enjoyed the test though I have heard some mixed things about Mazda reliability. I am 5'11 so I wonder about those seats now. We will likely get an auto though.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Corolla wagon in Japan, is called the Corolla Fielder. That same car is restyled inside and outside, and called the Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, and the Toyota Voltz (Vibe in Japan)
    I read the review also but notice that the differences between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd were only one point apart. What won the Hyundai over was value for the dollar. The Mazda was the fun to drive factor. When you read the Corolla review intially it comes across as the best of the pack. For what it's worth the Corolla automatic is light years ahead of the pack in smoothness and it's almost intuitive when you step down just a little...downshifts perfectly. You see we bought two - her's is an automatic.
    First of all, have any Corolla owners had the emissions test that was listed on alldata.com performed on their car?(Emissions - OBD II Readiness Monitor Drive Patterns )

I will save the usual complaining about the POOR tires for later in this.... BUT I was REALLY looking forward to purchasing this car for a long time, but as much as I hate to admit it( a Toyota LOVER here) , this car isn't the resurrection some people claim it is.. The car does wander ALL over the road,( especially when windy)check corolland.com on (REPLACE the stock tires IMMEDIATELY)... I hope all people have not had this problem.. Also, I am 6 foot 2 with decent size legs, and the pedal to rest your foot leaves your leg cramped. To people looking to buy this car, look SERIOUSLY at Honda, Mazda, and hard to spit it out, Hyundai.... I hope my conflict with the dealer can be worked out, as I would love to have a GOOD handling car with a comfortable ride..Toyota does build quality, I just hope this car is a aberration. Insist on buying the car with a set of GOOD tires , not the stock Goodyear Integrity crap tires -- the flintstone cars had better ones, or the Firestone falling apart tires.. Good luck in your purchase!!
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The new Corolla is way better to me than the model it replaced. If it had more front seat room we would have seriously test driven/considered it.

boilerman: Are you arbitrating your Corolla over the tires?
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I rented a 03 LE for a week and drove it half way across the country and back.

Gas mileage was as high as 43 (averaging 65). It was as low as 38 (averaging 80).

The car has serious shaking issues behind tractor trailers.

The seats are always very comfortable, but the driving position always takes a 5 minute plan to make driving comfortable. Its really hard to get the rest of the body correct and not have your arms fully extended to drive.

Trunk and back seat very roomy for luggage.

The second DC outlet in the armrest a little annoying. Had extention cord and Y-plug to get around it. First DC outlet was tolerable.

The dash lights were incredible.

Car has plently of power, even for the auto I drove.

I noticed that automatic downshifted on its own for braking on steep grades.

Overall, I liked the car, but I would get the manual if I ever owned a 03. My 89 and 95 are still more comfortable (driving position) though (front seat). The 03 is by far better in the back seat.
    I am going to the dealer on Friday to try and resolve this problem.. I do not mean to sound to be bashing Corolla's but to pay $16,500 total on this car and have it ride and handle no better than the old 1987 Toyota pick - up that I kept to haul around stuff.. is really a pain in the [non-permissible content removed].. Car also has the "sulfur" smell ... Paying 16,500 total for this car, I realize doesn't make it 'lexus' quality but c'mon Toyota, put decent tires on a good car. Do not reduce Corolla's down to the 'Yugo" level ride.. Hope things get better on Friday after the dealer looks at it, but truthfully, this dealer can be a weasel... My gas mileage is NO where around 38-43 .. More like 26 -32 and I am a 'poker" compared to some drivers here in Indianapolis...
    Depending on how many miles you have the gas mileage will probably improve with age. As for the tires, if that's your only problem with the car you can replace them for way cheaper than buying another car and way less headache than trying to fight Toyota. What exactly is the issue with the tires? Have you checked the tire pressure?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Yes, what is the tire pressure? Too much can make the car darty, and too litle can make it wallow. 32-35 should be fine.
    On the '03 with 195/65/15 tires it calls for 30 lbs on all. After some experimentation with pressures I ended up with 32 front & 30 rear. It seems to handle & corner a tad better than 30 all around and isn't flighty on the highway.
    personally, i dont think changing the tires or changing tire pressure will help the 03' corolla fight crosswinds. i believe the design on the car itself is the problem. being tall and a bit narrow makes it sensitive to crosswinds.
    if the car is lowered, then it may help.

just my $0.02
    I agree with your thoughts ie, windy conditions. Adjusting tire pressure does nothing for that. I just meant to say that it handles slightly better with 32 in the fronts.
    My SI is a pretty tall car and it does get affected by VERY strong crosswinds but not to the extent that he is describing so that's why I wondered if the tire pressure was off.
    from my experience, i think the only way to avoid driving all over the road when there is stong winds is to slow down a bit.

i was all over the road a few weeks ago when i was caught in a sudden change of weather where it was real windy. with 3 people in my car, i still had a hard time keeping the car straight. it wasnt so bad when i slowed down. after i slowed down, i was able to control the car much better.
  • silv3rricesilv3rrice Member Posts: 4
    I'm not really good with cars and I just got my 03 corolla LE auto, so I hope you kind people can spare me some advice. My question is in regards with air conditioning. Imagine being stuck on a traffic,your on Drive and your stepping on your breaks. While I have my AC on, it seems like there's a small jolt every 15 seconds and feels like the car is literally gasping for air and moving a few centimeters forward (even i'm stepping on the breaks hard enough). This doesn't happen when i have my AC off. Hope you guys and gals can shed me some knowledge as to whethere this is normal or something to be checked out. Thank you.
    my sienna have the same problem you described. yes it happens and yes its normal.

this happens everytime when your compressor kicks in to maintain the cool temp. you will notice this happen more when the weather is really hot and your a/c is on. when the compressor kicks in, your RPM rises... its like you stepped on your gas a bit so your car inches forward if its in gear. this happens only on cars with auto tranny.
    you will notice this more if your car is a 4 cylinder. if you have a v6 or v8, you wont notice it very much unless you look at your RPM gauge.

now you know what is going on... all you do is when your a/c is on and each time you come to a complete stop, make sure you step on your brakes firmly. this will solve your problem of the car inching forward.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Member Posts: 150
    Just a note about the drivers seat in the Corolla. Unless the headroom in the newer model Corolla is less the 2001 model I don't see any problem with you being 5' 11" and driving the 2003 comfortably. I am 6' tall and I have a 2001 Corolla LE with moonroof and I have at least 3"-4" above my head. To tell you the truth I drove a 2001 without a moonroof and didn't notice any difference in the headroom.
    My boyfriend can drive a 2001 Corolla and any year before that but he can't fit in the 03's. He couldn't extend his legs fully and the gas pedal was at an angle where he couldn't even drive the car for 1 mile. It has plenty of headroom just no legroom.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I agree with anonymous posts, the 2003 Corolla is a completely different car than the earlier Corollas. I don't see what fitting a 2001 has to do with fitting or not fitting in a 2003. May as well compare fitting in a 2003 Corolla to fitting in a Nissan Sentra.

MANY are upset that the driving position is VERY different in a 2003. Magazines, posters here and dealership customers have all made this observation. And they have all tried to fit in a 2003. The problem, when it exists, is indeed legroom. It wouldn't matter if the car was a convertible with the top down, if there isn't room for your legs to stretch out comfortably it doesn't matter how much headroom there is.

There is NO substitute for trying the car itself. Figures indicate their is no problem. But actual seat time may reveal a different conclusion!
    I agree COMPLETELY with the statements made about the legroom and the gas pedal made about the 2003 Corolla. I am 6 foot 2, with average length legs, and for the first few miles, not bad at all. This car is VERY UNCOMFORTABLE for your legs for any length of trip. Like earlier, enough headroom for me, but if you are 6 foot 4 or 6 foot 5 FORGET IT!! Whoever designed the legroom for this car completely forgot about tall people or slightly tall like myself.. Wander if there is ANY way to get rid of the damn foot rest....?