Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Down to one Corolla now. Sold the GT-S. Replaced it with a 91 Celica GT.

My 95 has been flawless except for the front supension. Two axles and one piece to keep the tire from shaking have been problematic. The bad part of front wheel drive, but the GT-S never had these problems; however, it liked tires.
  • Options
    klear123klear123 Member Posts: 7
    Am considering a recently used or demo '03. How does it handle in the snow? Anyone have ABS?
    How do the kids fit in the back seat?
  • Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    You can put adults in the back seat. I drove one to Texas last year.
  • Options
    jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    i believe only the LE or S model have ABS. CE models don't have ABS/can't get ABS. this is for canadian models anyway.

kids should be fine in the backseat, more than enough room back there for kids unless they are 6ft. tall. :)
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    ABS is available on all trim levels of Corolla in the US. I think it should be in Canada too, but if it was nobody would buy LEs unless they absolutely must have power windows. Interesting to note that all Canadian CEs have black door handles whereas US CEs have body coloured door handles.
  • Options
    the way toyota sells their options is stupid and a rip-off! for canadian models, i can't get power windows/locks as one option! if i want power windows/locks, i have to buy the LE model. CE models only have power locks. this option i think is grouped together with the A/C for CE models.
  • Options
    I don't think the arrangement of options in Canada is any worse than in the US, it's just that we have fewer options to choose from. Personally I'd like a CE as it is now with Air, Auto and ABS for under C$19K. But no, I have to have alloy wheels, power windows and fake wood too.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    or an ES with ABS, 16" alloys, and spoiler and a really nice interior standard.

Dinu
  • Options
    No thanks, I prefer Corolla.
  • Options
    the MP5 is a nice car and handles much better than the corolla but resale value for mazda's are lower than toyota's
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    man, dinu, not everyone wants a PRO. In fact, there are many, who, like me, use cars this size as commuter vehicles, and dont have the opportunity or desire to seek out curvy roads where the PRO does, I'll admit, shine.

Where does the Corolla shine? Certainly I see it shining on New Jersey's severely acned roads, as the Corolla is generally viewed as having one of the finest rides at is price point. The PRO? One of hardest. The PRO also has ZERO power advantage, a similar if not higher sticker, similar but not better interior room, worse crash test scores, and significantly lower fuel economy.

When it came time for my buck, I didnt choose the Corolla, but I can see why many others would. Why do you have to constantly push your car?

~alpha
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Right on man! I'm sure the Pro is a great car and I'm glad their owners love their cars. But most people love their cars or why own them!

The Sandman :-)
  • Options
    ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I think in 1999 when the current Protege was introduced, it was clearly superior to the Civic and even moreso to the Corolla. The Protege was roomier than the Civic, definitely more fun to drive than either, and was priced competitively. Civics and Corollas have generally had the MPG advantage over Protege, though.

Fast forward four years, the Civic is roomier (and arguably, more stylish) than before, the Corolla definitely is more powerful, stylish and roomy, and the CE in particular (alone in having a/c and stereo standard in a base model) represents good value. The Protege is more fun to drive still, but for most people buying cars at this price point, dollar value (price, fuel economy, resale) is much more important.

The problem with the Civic (DX) is that everything is optional. The base car starts at $13k, but has no radio ($400) or a/c ($1100 and dealer installed). By the time the car is livable, it's a thousand dollars more than a base Corolla. Now, where the Toyotas 'get you' is with the options, which are numerous and a bit pricey. If you're not careful, you can have a fully loaded Corolla pushing $20k.
  • Options
    B/c I value fun to drive, yet am on a budget that doesn't allow me to buy a 6.

For me, fun to drive is more important than 0-60 (trust me, I pass everyone on the streets and have gone 100mph in the PRO - actually 92mph yesterday on my way to work), a sloppy ride where you have to slow down on ramps b/c the 03+ Corolla leans a lot in corners (I've driven one many times) or resale (we're keeping it for many many years).

Reliability is the same as H/T IMO (so far in 33K miles in 19mths it has been outstanding).

Styling is superior.

And I use it as a commuter car too - put 195/60/R15 tires on it, and the car is not as firm as it was before - I also undertand not many people value a firm ride, in that they prefer to be isolated from the road.

That's why I push this car so much - it's a joke how people ignore it in the US, yet it shines in Canada...

Dinu
  • Options
    it's a joke how people ignore it in the US

It's not a joke, it's very simple. Wrong product, wrong price, change either one of those and people will buy it.
  • Options
    people don't value handling and fun to drive.

Too bad - they don't know what they're missing...

Dinu
  • Options
    Handling and fun to drive are not priorities for a lot of people. I go more for safety, reliability, low TCO, but then I expect I belong to a different demographic group than you. Not criticising your choice by the way, it's just not for me.
  • Options
    I don't know if this has changed any with the current Protege, but I remember reading that they're quite 'busy' at highway speeds. I remember this being one of the _only_ things I didn't like about my '90 Protege LX (basically the predecessor of the current ES, as it had a DOHC 125-hp engine, loaded, 5-speed, four-wheel disc brakes).

I guess I'm saying this would be my main 'stumbling block' against buying a new Protege versus some other compacts (Corolla, Civic, Elantra are my main other cars of interest right now).
  • Options
    But seriously, while the car is noisier than others at high speeds, is more than makes up in the smile it brings to the driver - something the 03 Corolla I drove this summer did not do.

If I'm paying $25.000CAD (taxes, interest incl.), I might as well get a reliable AND fun to drive car. That's just my philosohy though :)

Dinu
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Different elements create smiles for different people. Your Protege may outhandle an ES 300, but believe me, that ES will put many more smiles on people than a Protege can.
  • Options
    It looks like the PRO and 6 are not for everyone and that's fine - exclusivity. As long as M can make some profits to keep making great fun to drive cars, I'm happy. As for Toyota, they made nice cars in the 90s, but now only focus on A->B transportation; a shame, b/c I know they can make serious road machines.

Dinu
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Just curious. Why don't y'all start a forum for the Corolla vs. the Pro so we can get back to talking about the Corolla.
    Thanks everyone!

The Sandman :-)
  • Options
    We're still talking Corollas.

here, ask me something abotu Corollas and I'll do my best to answer w/out mentionning the PRO.

Dinu
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    If it werent for the recent glut of pro/corolla posts, this thread would again be dormant. Perhaps you should be happy about the traffic, or post something interesting yourself.
    -alpha
  • Options
    ...or something of that nature on Edmunds? I have yet to see one. I'm strongly considering buying a new, small, inexpensive ($15k tops) sedan and would love to hear opinions of owners and enthusiasts. The cars I'm considering, even a little bit:

Toyota Corolla
    Honda Civic
    Mazda Protege
    Hyundai Elantra
    Nissan Sentra

So far, I'm leaning toward the Corolla. Why? Better warranty and more power and standard equipment, at least on the base models, than Civic. I might consider a Protege or Sentra at the right price, though the Pro is getting a bit long in the tooth and both resale and dealer network are weak. Sentra is ugly and a bit cramped. The Elantra is a great value, but I'm not convinced their quality is up where it should be. Again, dollar for dollar, they're extremely tempting, especially with that warranty, though resale is bad. Focus? No, I've heard too many nightmares, though they have a dealer very near my house and I could probably pick one up cheaply. Cavaliers with a/c and stereo are everywhere for $10k, but I don't think I could live with myself. Am I missing any?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Check out "Low End Cars: Japanese v. American v. European v. Korean". It's the only Edmunds board I know of that covers all the small sedans, at least the low-end ones like you are considering. There is a self-imposed price cap for the board of $15k, so it doesn't cover small sedans like the Jetta and 3 Series. Also be sure to check out the boards for each of the cars you are considering to get a sample of the ownership experience.

IMO if you like the Corolla, the driving position is comfortable for you, and you don't mind paying the price for Toyota quality, it's a great choice. You might also want to check out the Lancer and Aerio in your quest; IMO they are high-quality cars with roomy interiors, and the Aerio, like the Elantra, has a long warranty.
  • Options
    stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Ghulet, the part I don't like about driving a Corolla is that with the light feel of the steering, one could fall asleep at the wheel. Otherwise, the Corolla feels expensive and superior to the Civic in most respects, IMO.
  • Options
    boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    If you are in a cold weather state, your gas mileage has a huge chance of being a joke! The 2003 Corolla smells like sulfur, it is YOUR car, not the one in front of you! If you get 20-24 mpg in the 2003 Corolla in cold weather you are doing good! Only buy the 2003 Corolla if you live in a state with low sulfur gasoline and where it does not get cold! Only when the weather is not cold , will the Corolla get you halfway close to the advertised 30/38 miles per gallon. The car looks good, but buyer beware on gas mileage and sulfur! ALL cars do not have this smell as Toyota claims!
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Above person might have a bad one - my neighbor's 2003 is perfect, gets 34 mpg highway in the cold weather (which is great considering the cold, winter gas, etc.) I don't think you can say that all Corollas are bad based on one experience. By the way, the sulfur smell "problem" exists for new Honda Accords also. Must be a gasoline issue, or both Honda and Toyota messed up (I doubt it). I know two other people with 2003's that are very happy. They don't know their MPG, but they state that they think it is REALLY good! and one of them used to own a Civic.
  • Options
    bcexbcex Member Posts: 1
    The advertised mpg is 32/40 (2003)- crap, she hardly makes 30 highway
  • Options
    maui123maui123 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my teenager a 2003 Corolla S. She's put about 8,500 miles on it. It came perfect from the factory and no problems to date.

It has a spoiler and body cladings, but it's really a nice family sedan. My daughter likes the boy, or I mean girl racer look, but she's perfectly content with its only adequate acceleration and handling. Such things means nothing to her.

What she likes is it look and I admire the refined interior, especially the dash, and the amount of headroom the car has both front and back.

It's a very nice car.

Toyota better watch out, the most recent Consumer Reports, talks about Hyundia favorably, and suprise of surprises, their repair record is improving and their cars have at least an average record, some even better.
  • Options
    n_ragsn_rags Member Posts: 1
    I bought an LE with the 6 speaker system and the sound is pretty flat... ok on bass but those little tweeters are worthless.

2 questions:

1) How do I remove the front, door mounted tweeters?

2) What sizes are the speakers in the front doors and those behind the rear seats?

Any suggestions for better replacements?
  • Options
    jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Hi all. Just purchased a new LE 5 speed with leather yesterday. Yeah, I know putting leather in a Corolla is like putting lipstick on a pig, but with that nice looking woodgrain and Lexus build quality, I couldn't resist.

What a car for the money! With the rebate, I paid $15k for the car. I had no idea that an econobox could be so nice.

A couple of little things are: 1) does anyone else think the steering wheel is too small? 2) the car seems to want to follow ruts in the road (I guess this is common for small cars?)

We looked at the Civic, but the Corolla ended up being the better deal, and I think the better car in spite of the better resale of the Civic. We also looked at the Elantra, but as others have mentioned, I don't think the quality is quite there yet. Not to mention the unusual new car odor that they have, which could be indicative of lower grade plastics in the interior.

I feel like I'm driving a poor mans Lexus.

So, if you want a nice economical
  • Options
    So, if you want a nice economical car that doesn't feel like an econobox, it is tough to beat the Corolla.

By the way, are the Corollas sold in the U.S. built in Japan or California?

Also, do the 2003 need timing belt replacement? If so, when?
  • Options
    Yes the Corolla's a nice car [the PRO's great :) ]. Glad to see you're happy with the luxo-features.

Dinu
  • Options
    michaely2michaely2 Member Posts: 5
    '03 Corollas have timing chains, rather than belts, and have a greater lifespan than belts. On www.corolland.com, a poster there recently said the lifespan should be anywhere from 150,000 to 600,000 miles and that a loud rattling noise on engine start up would be an indicator of being worn out.

You can tell manufacturing plant/country by the start of the Vehicle Identification Number. Unfortunately I can't recall the country codes but these have been discussed on threads discussing "sulphur smell". Sounds like you made a good deal on your Corolla. Good luck.
  • Options
    michaely2michaely2 Member Posts: 5
    post #165 in the "what did you pay" discussion board, "deconstructs" VIN.
    For country of origin: #1 is U.S., 2 is Canada and J is Japan. I'm curious if the car was built in Canada re differences in car prices between Canada and the U.S.
  • Options
    boilermanboilerman Member Posts: 35
    The poster on corolland.com is SO pro Toyota , he even has it tattooed on his behind. While he is very knowledgeable, he is so one sided and blames ALL Toyota defects on the owners. He tries to control a forum which is supposed to offer both sides. Just my 2 cents worth on Toyota Paul. Another Toyota public relations plant! Toyota monitors most of these forums....
  • Options
    Thanks michaely2, I was hoping that was the case. The owners manual has timing belt replacements for Camrys and others, but I did not see the Corolla listed. That is definitely a bonus, and another reason that the Toy was a better choice than the Honda.

The VIN begins with a "1" so I guess the car was built in the U.S.
  • Options
    FYI, the interesting odor you experienced in the Elantra has nothing to do with the quality of the plastics. It is due to a sealant that is applied to the underbody of the car for the trip over the ocean. It wears off in a couple of weeks, to be replaced by the usual new car smell (unless you smoke or deliver pizzas).

Hope you enjoy your new Corolla! From what I've heard, getting a 5-speed with leather is not easy to do.
  • Options
    ...it's hard enough finding a 5-speed LE at all here in Chicago, let alone one with leather. What other options does your car have, jacknimble?

I'm considering buying a new Corolla soon, and also noted the fact that it has a longer warranty, more horsepower (especially if you compare the Civ DX/LX to Corolla) and similarly equipped, costs less, than the Civic. The only other car I've strongly considered is the Elantra, based mostly on price. The Elantra is almost finished with its body cycle, though, which will make its resale even worse. Still, I'd consider one if I were keeping it for a long time, especially given the long warranty. Anyone tested both the Corolla and Elantra, and if so, care to comment?
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Daewoo.

Yugo.

A warranty is only as good as the longevity and good faith of the company that grants it.

Not saying Hyundai is going out of business, but it IS in South Korea.

This is NOT a political comment, but it IS something to think about.

Toyota and Honda, by contrast, have set up USA plants and are almost certainty going to be around long enough to warrant any car. Their service and warranty are legendary.

Sometimes, to save a few dimes and nickels, one takes sizeable risks, knowingly or otherwise. I would consider a good used car before I bought a car from Korea or Yugoslavia, unless I lived in those places.

You may say but early buyers of Japanese cars took similar risks. And they did. Some got some pretty sloppy cars, too! The Toyopet was underpowered and hardly reliable.

It's your money, just think about what you want and what risks you want to take.

The Corolla is a fine vehicle, So is the Civic. The Elantra I have not heard anywhere near as good things about. I KNOW the Corolla and Civic. In fairness, I do not know the Elantra as well.
  • Options
    From the factory, it had the upgraded cd/Cassette combo stereo with 6 speakers. Then Gulf States Toyota, the distributor for my area, added leather, speed control, custom tape stripe, Permavin glass etching, and carpet floor mats, and the original dealer in Texas added the windows tinting.

I was told that the leather from Gulf States is better than the leather from factory, and it is perforated which makes it look even richer. The leather looks great and even has the door inserts like factory.

I was also told this was the only one in the region like it, and a dealer with United Auto Group (the 3rd largest retailer in the world) could not get one until April. We lucked out in that the car was white, which is exactly what we wanted.
  • Options
    Backy, thats interesting. I read about the odor in one of the car rags or some other article before hand and thought it could not be that bad, but when I drove it, it is definitely noticeable. I mentioned it to the salesman, and he did not enlighten me as to the true culprit.

Hyundai should probably change the sealant, and be done with it - no need to create wrong impressions unnecessarily.

The reason we eliminated the Hyundai was just a general feeling of below quality, but admittedly it could have been more psychological than fact. (If the car had Toyota badges, would I think that the smell was something unique to Toyota and that it is a good thing?)

We hope to keep the car a long time, and the Toyota is a safer choice.
  • Options
    Since this is the Corolla board, IMO it's not appropriate for us to engage in comparisons of Corollas vs. Elantras or Hyundais in general, at least not at length. I only posted the info re the source of the Elantra's smell as a clarification to another post. If anyone wants to discuss the relative merits of Corollas and Elantras, or Toyotas and Hyundais in general, I'd be glad to engage in that discussion in the Low-End Cars board (maybe the only appropriate one for that discussion now that the Corolla vs. Elantra board has been shut down.)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    backy -- I reopened Corolla vs Elantra.

Topics shut themselves down after a period of no activity. A host can always open them up again if anyone asks so always feel free to do so.

It's back on the active comparisons board now. :-)
  • Options
    dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    I eliminated the Elantra when I shopped for my 02 Corolla due to its gas mileage. It was rated for only 25 mpg overall, whereas I'm getting 35-36 in my Corolla. I figured that in a few years of commuting, I'd make back the price difference and still have the superior car and better resale value.

This is not to say that Hyundais are bad cars. The last few rental Hyundais I've driven have been quite impressive. The most recent one I spent a week with was a current model Sonata with the auto-manual tranny, power sunroof, but with the 4-cyl engine. The car was definitely underpowered with the 4 banger, but the overall fit and finish, quality of the interior, and comfort of the car was quite impressive. Give that car a V-6 and it's a winner. I think if you could get that car for about $16k or so, I would seriously be tempted to go for it.
  • Options
    Okay, I've read a few posts about poor gas mileage. Whats the consensus? Is the car estimates way off, or is a combo of the winter weather/small gas tank combo? It did seem like the complaints were more numberous during the colder months.
  • Options
    toyotalgaltoyotalgal Member Posts: 13
    I've read comments from more than a few 2003 Corolla owners who said their gas mileage was lower than expected - my 2001 4-speed auto gets 30 mpg/city and 39/highway - I have gotten as high as 34 mpg/city - the mileage does not vary much in winter months - good car so far.
  • Options
    doublesixdoublesix Member Posts: 29
    I am thinking to purchase a Corolla LE automatic, but have a couple of questions:

(1) Is it possible to get a base model with AT and side airbags only? What is the typical/most usual package people get with LE?

(2) Is there any rebate with Corolla currently? What time period? Any regional difference?

(3) Do people really get sulfur smell with 2003 Corolla? How typical is it?

(4) Is it true that 2003 Corolla's gas mileage gets significantlly worse than other similar cars?

Thank you very much for your information.