Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• snowbunny1snowbunny1 Member Posts: 4
    HELP !!! i am looking at a 2002 corolla, ex cond. low mileage--wondering if any owners of 2002 corollas (or people you know well with one) have had any of the following, or other problems:
    accelleration, sulfur (rotten egg) smell, or sludge;

i have read many, many messages re these problems and don't know if they are particular to specific year cars only

i need to make a decision ASAP, as i don't think this one (for sale by toyota dealer) will last long.

thanks very much
  • superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
    after 18k miles, no problems whatsoever, just one thing though, make sure you take at least 30 min test drive, i find my driver seat very uncomfortable , hurts my back, so do some extensive driving before deciding. besides the seat fitment, car is wonderful
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Advice: Stay away from that 2002 if its a CE model with automatic transmission. Its noisy, wastes fuel, and unecessarily slow, I'd imagine that wear and tear is greater (this is all due to the ARCHAIC 3 sp auto).

~alpha
  • priscillajeanpriscillajean Member Posts: 1
    In the last week or so, when I put the key in the ignition, it doesn't always work. It makes no sound. The battery is two years old but it appears to be fine. It's as though something is not catching and I it takes a few tries to make that happen. Can anyone inform me about this?
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    My guess would be that you need a new starter solenoid. Take it to a Toyota dealer who will replace just the solenoid rather than the whole starter motor. Of course it may be something else altogether, you really need to have someone diagnose the problem.
  • eampofoeampofo Member Posts: 3
    I am in the market for either the 2004 Corolla S or the Nissan Spec V. I noticed in Edmunds new cars, they list a manual for the S. And yet Toyota's own site only lists automatics. Does the 04 Corolla's come with a manual at all?

Also, has anyone cross shopped these two vehicles, and what impressions if any?
    Any opinions and experiences would be most welcome.
  • redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    The spec v is a pocket rocket and built for those looking for a fast, nimble, street racer. The corrola s is your basic, comfortable econo car with a sporty body kit, not a performance machine by any means.
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    ... and yes, 04 Corolla is available with 5 speed manual.
  • stevenq99stevenq99 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 5-speed s so they do exist however at least around here they are few and far between. Seems like an odd combination of cars. they don't really compare! I would also check on insurance on the spec v before I bought. My guess it is pricy. The corolla is a very nice car overall very quiet for a small car. The corolla is not going to be as fast as the spec v but it goes just fine.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Looks like the prediction for a sportier Corolla has come true...

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/product/2003/11/05-1-semashow.ht- - ml

Meet Corolla XRS, the 170 horsepower Corolla coming in 2004!
    Thanks for the info! I guess Toyota finally woke up and saw the need to enter the sport compact segement currently occupied by Sentra SE-R Spec V, Focus SVT, Neon SRT-4, etc. I am interested to see if this Corolla XRS will indeed have significant, noticeable improvements to the buzzy, "torque-free" 2ZZ engine of the Celica GT-S and Matrix XRS. I wonder how this model will be priced.

But overall, this is a step in the right direction. Now, if we can just get an XLE model w/NAV, power drivers seat, rear armrest, etc....
    :)

I still want the 2.0L or 2.4L RAV engine in this car!!

~alpha
  • eampofoeampofo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks folks for all those insights. I guess I still have not made up my mind as to what to get. If I decide to get the plain jane versions of these vehicles(Neon SRT,Focus SVT,Nissan Spec V,Pontiac Vibe GT,etc) then it was going to be the Corolla. For the pocket rocket versions, it was going to be the Nissan. Although, checking these boards, I 've heard some horror stories about the Spec V and clutches.

I bet Toyota would simply shoehorn the 180hp Matrix/Vibe engine into the XRS Corolla. Think about it. If what I read from the link above the 04 Corolla S is selling well, why bother with a completely new though more powerful engine. Don't think the bean counters would allow it. Better check that parts bin first

Which in turn begs the question, why was the hot rod Matrix/Vibe engine not made available at the time of introduction for the 04 Corolla S.
    Like I said, Toyota is just responding to market pressure. Toyota builds cars for the masses, not the enthusiast- but if it identifies a way to capitalize on a trend (a TREND, not a FAD, there's a big difference), it will do so, as exemplified by the trend towards stock performance tuned econocars. Or another example- Toyota offers FIVE SUVs and will soon add hybrids.

The XRS IS DEFINITELY going to have the 1.8L from the Celica/Matrix, but according to the posted link above, its been re-tuned for better torque response in the lower/midrange than in those models. It's not really a "shoehorn" job per se, since the plain Jane Corollas use a 1.8L as well. "Shoehorn" would be what Nissan did in the Sentra, getting the Altima 2.5L in that engine bay.

~alpha
    I'll agree that the S model sells well. I see just as many of those as I do LE and CE, if not more. The XRS will be a low volume grade of only 5,000 units a year, according to the article, I believe. I still wish they would rid the car of the silly ground effects. But, most certainly, Corolla XRS is a step in the right direction.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Now why couldn't they do this when it first came out for 03?

I would change three things 1) Wheels/tires: I would put at least 17" on this car, not just a 16" wheel/tire combo off a Matrix XR. 2) I would lower it a little, it looks like it sits too high, and 3) like everybody else said, lose the bodykit.

And I would change one thing to the interior, and that would be change the seats. They are kind of ugly, IMHO.

Besides that, though, I think Toyota has a winner here!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    different seats? it was hard to tell from the pictures.

The XRS should have a torque curve very similar to what you are already used to in the regular corolla...the difference is, once you get those rpm over 6000, it will push you back in your seat hard, and never quit. Also, it will have the celica/matrix clutch and six-speed - a sweet combo to keep the revs up.

This would be the only corolla I would consider buying....and I am seriously considering doing just that when it arrives next May...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    If they only make a few of them, they will probably be sold out soon and have markups.
    is enough, I think, that there shouldn't be mark-ups. At least, I am hoping! :-)

After all, it IS a bit of a gamble on Toyota's part. Most of the buyers that go out shopping for a sporty compact four-door go elsewhere, not to Toyota dealers. Maybe it will be a sleeper.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• crieckecriecke Member Posts: 37
    What was the outcome of these reports and
    do the "04s have the same problem?

Have 2000 CE,39000 miles,not one problem yet and I got it new.

criecke@charleston.net
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The odor is a sulfur smell. It is happening on 2003-2004 Hondas, Toyotas, etc. I have a '99, 58,000 miles, zero problems.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    2003 Corolla, bought in February, about 12k miles, no problem here.
    2003 Corolla bought March 2003 had the odour problem with some gas. 2004 Corolla bought August 2003 does not appear to have the problem.
  • joopsixjoopsix Member Posts: 4
    This is a question about scratches on an '04 Corolla.

I have a 1-inch scratch (without any denting) on one of the rear passenger doors. The scratch is not very fine, and I want to know what is my best option to fix it.

I have read that "scratch remover" products don't work. I have also heard mixed reviews about buying a tube of paint from the dealer: some people say it will leave the car looking like new, and others claim that it won't really hide it. Will applying paint myself make the rest of the paint look darker? Will it even work? Or is my best option to take the car to an auto body shop. Any ideas on how much it would run to do that?

On another note: what is the consensus on car washing? How often should it be done, does it damage the car? Same goes for waxing, and conditioning of a leather interior.

(Whoo a lot of questions! Thanks to anyone who helps a young driver!)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome joopsix! Here's a great resource that you might like to read through while you are waiting for some feedback here: Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair

Congrats on what I assume is a new car for you. Glad to have you as a new member of the Town Hall. :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    For a small deep scratch like that, touch-up paint is a good, cheap option. The key thing is how to apply it. You'll want to get a very fine artist's brush, available at artist and hobby stores, and work the paint into the scratch very carefully. Go over the scratch several times to build up the paint in several thin layers until it matches the level of the surrounding paint. That's how I fix scratches like that anyway. Then when it's dry, go over the area with polishing compound (a mild one that is made for clearcoat finishes) and then wax. The scratch may still be noticeable up close, but probably not unless you're looking for it.

As for car washes, it depends on whether you drive near the ocean or where road salt is used. If so, I'd wash it frequently to get the salt off. In the winter, I wash my vehicles as often as I can when driving on salted roads--but that is difficult when it snows a lot. Proper washing (e.g. no brushes, lots of water and car-wash soap) is not hard on a vehicle at all, and if you maintain a coat of wax on the car the water will never actually touch the paint. As for waxing, do it at minimum whenever water no longer beads up on the car. For me, that's at least 3-4 times a year. The more you wash a car, the more frequently you'll need to wax it.

I've never owned a car with a leather interior so I'll leave that to others.
  • joopsixjoopsix Member Posts: 4
    I really appreciate the advice and tips. I actually went to get an estimate at an auto body shop yesterday, and they said it would cost a whopping $300 to fix the scratch (they'd have to repaint the whole door). Family members who have seen the scratch say that's just a ripoff.

I think I'll buy the paint, polish, and wax myself. Thanks again for your help!
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    Another source for how-to is at http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=8 Scratches on a new car are such a bummer!
  • doncasdoncas Member Posts: 11
    I just purchased a 2002 Corolla S with automatic transmission. Does anyone know if the PRNDL indicatators on the shifter column are supposed to be illuminated at night? Mine are not.
    They are supposed to be illuminated. I have a feeling it may not be a trivial job, but because of that it may be covered by your warranty.
  • glenglenglenglen Member Posts: 37
    I have a '98 Corolla and my fasten seatbelt idiot light keeps flashing. I am buckled up when the light flashes so this is more of an annoyance than anything else. Anyone else have this problem?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Probably is the sensor that is connected under the seat. You might check under there and make sure all of the electrical connections are secure and tight.
  • surjn98surjn98 Member Posts: 34
    Is there any way to improve the headlights on a 2004 corolla and focus them to illuminate a little more distance? I have to use the high beams often!!
  • torr310torr310 Member Posts: 41
    My '03 Corolla only gets about 28 mile/gallon
    and it is so far from my expectation.
    i drive half city and half freeway, and i am used to push the RPM around 2,000~3,000... mostly @ 3,000

isn't it supposed to be around 32~38 at least?
    i am dispointed about the performance, or every car is like this?
    this is just my first car, thanks for any advising
    28 MPG is not a bad figure. Consumer Reports seems to do a very good job of providing and overall expected fuel economy average, and theirs for the 03 Corolla auto was 29MPG, at the top of the class. EPA ratings don't always tell the whole story.

However, you may increase you milage by adhering strictly to the servicing schedule of your vehicle, if you already arent. (I personally feel that 7500 miles in mixed driving is too far on one batch of oil, especially if you're crossing seasons within that mileage.) Also, did you purchase your vehicle new or used?

~alpha
    I would expect a little higher. Our 03 is driven half & half as well and the mileage is about 32-34. On the highway, it gets in the upper 30s. Its a 5-speed though. If yours is an auto, it will probably be less than that.

If yours is brand new, it will get better as it gets broken in.
    alpha01, jacknimble
    thanks so much for both of your opinion
    i bought a brand new one, and i had about 12,000 on it.
    it is Automatic.
     jacknimble ,what do you mean by"If yours is brand new, it will get better as it gets broken in."? isnt that old cars always have worse EPA than new ones?

Some people saying that they buy Toyotas because they are so easy to maintain;only oil change is enough
    But if you go to thoes service stations they always tell you that you need some service other than just oil change, such as Flushing Engine(they told me good for every 10k miles), injection...ect.
    I dont know if they are necessary, but i really like my car in a good condition. are they really worth it? appreciate for sharing your opinion again
    As a rule, dealerships make much more money servicing vehicles, as compared to actually selling them. If you adhere to your Toyota provided maintenance schedule, always having the procedures performed per specification, you will NEVER be in violation for any issues that may arise and be covered under warranty. You DO NOT need an engine flush every 10,000 miles. Perhaps some may want to do one after, say, 60,000, but definitely not sooner. The dealership service dept. will always be looking to rip off the unsuspecting customer. You seem to be geniunely interested in making your car last a long time. Following the manufacturer's recommended servicing will allow you to do this.

~alpha
    Service by the manual is the best way to go, unless you are driving your car particularly hard, but even then 10k between engine flushes is ridiculous. There is such a thing as over-maintaining a car.

Gas mileage improves as the car engine and drivetrain breaks in, typically about 5000 miles. If you read long-term test results, such as Car and Driver or Edmunds, you will notice they measure these things when new, then measure them as they drive them. Mileage and even performance generally increases as the car gets some wear on it, then later in life, it begins dropping. Just like our bodies :)

If yours has 12,000 on it now, it is likely getting the best mileage it will ever get with your driving style, environment, and type of driving.
    31-32 mpg in my Matrix auto, which has the corolla engine but is 250 pounds heavier with a higher profile. That is 75/25 highway/city, but the point is you can do it if you focus your driving habits on saving gas. If you gun it between stoplights and do 80 on the freeway, YMMV (brake pad longevity will vary too!)

Dealerships and even the local tire shop/gas station make a LOT of money performing needless service on cars. Go by the book Toyota gave you and don't worry about it.

...for our '03 Sedan automatic was right around 28-29 mpg for an even mixture of suburban running around and longer trips. The extremes could indeed be extreme: 24-25 in straight shopping runs, 32-35 on longer trips with restrained speeds.

And I also agree that Consumer Reports' overall mileage measurement is VERY VERY close to the real numbers we have achieved with our cars over the years. If they say a good overall average is 29 mpg, then plus or minus 1-2 mpg, that is what the vast majority of folks are probably seeing. Their test is extremely "real", much more so than the EPA test, and also reliably repeatable.
    alpha01...wow... i think i had got ripped off many times! but thanks for your words... it will stop by now! ^^

jacknimble, i guess i just treated my little "buddy" too nice, take too much care on it.thank you!

nippononly, you got 31-32 mpg in your Matrix auto? wow... corolla is supposed to be more economy than Matrix! cant believe it!

jrct9454,do you know if civic saves more fuel than corolla?
    The current Civic is likely going to give marginally better fuel economy than the current Corolla. However, overall refinement, ride and interior differences favor the Toyota. Handling probably favors the Civic. As always, it depends on how you break all of these ties, and what combination of strengths and weaknesses is most acceptable to you.
    there are some people out there driving around in their corollas and getting 35 mpg week in and week out, if I can get 32 so regularly in the Matrix. To get that number, you have to drive conservatively a lot of the time, which I do whenever there is traffic anyway.

• dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    For the past two years, I regularly get about 36 mpg on my '02 Corolla with the 5 speed, and that's with a combination of local and highway travel in my daily commute.
  • stevenq99stevenq99 Member Posts: 36
    I get about 36 mpg in mixed driving. I used to get 40 mpg with my old Cvic DX but it had 28 less hp and weighed about 400 pounds less. both are with a 5-speed
    Is it realistic to get 18 miles per gallon on an automatic 1996 Corolla DX? It is rated at 27/33 mpg for city/highway, but my driving habits may be causing this low number. Many days I will only drive three miles to school, each way. By the way I'm half way there, the engine is finally warm. Are these cold starts and short drives ruining my mileage? Eighteen miles per gallon leaves a lot to be desired.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    There is definitely a problem there. Are you gunning the engine, driving it like a manual, or is the auto just shot?

I have a 95 DX with a manual and I have never got below 34 mpg. My car has 148,000 on it.
  • mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    I recently purchased a 2004 Sienna and Corolla from Watertown Toyota, in Watertown, MA. As unbelievable as it may sound the Sienna which is just about the biggest minivan out there gets far better mileage under the same conditions than my Corolla. The Corolla has almost 1500 miles on it and still gets only 16 mpg, and often emits a sulfur like smell. The dealership is already giving me the run around, recommending different gasolines etc. and other such nonsense. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    My first one? And I am serious.

Find another dealer. One that cares about you and your problems.
    I wouldn't say I gun it, except every once in a while if I need to really get fast start turning onto a main road. I can't really imagine why the mileage would be so bad. I do, however, really never have the AC/heat off very long. It's almost always on, and when it is, it's always the coldest or hottest setting (but the fan speed is never more than 2 notches). I've had the car for almost 2 years now and haven't really noticed it that much given my little driving, but this may be why I seemed to get such a great deal on it at the time. I has had no mechanical problems whatsoever.