Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• herrkaleuherrkaleu Member Posts: 62
    well, taste is taste... and can't be argued about...
    I personally prefer a hatchback... despite smaller trunk i can fit larger items in it...
    but in the US I compromise and get the sedan (which is the only choice, whereas in europe there is a hatchback, a sedan, and a Van-like Verso)
    anyway, that doesn't explain the lack of safety features, and under what conditions I can get them in Wisconsin? So, can i get ABS and curtain airbags anywhere (especially in WI)?
    I mainly get confused because many comments on this (very good) site suggest that ABS is not available everywhere. and Toyota.com doesn't help eihter...
    thanks for any hints...
    any ideas about the oil change intervals, and why they seem to be so much shorter in hte US? I kind of think the oil is cheaper in the US.. but in the end more expensive oil, less often changed, is the better deal... any mechanics here that might know why?
    I apologize if it came out wrong..
    but in fact, the VW Golf is still sold in the Version 4, whereas the Golf 5 has been out in Europe for 1.5 years (and anyone who has ever seen the difference will understand). In addition VW still sells an outdated 2.0 l engine with an outrageous consumption in the US, whereas in Europe they only sell FSi-engines...
    OK, has nothing to do with Toyota.. but that is a reason why I don'T buy VW in the US, cause this is not VW! (the way we consider it in Europe, anyway)
    4 years ago i went out shopping for a used Corolla in Wisconsin, but couldn't find one single one with ABS... and the same is true for the most cars sold in the US.... that is also what makes me think they sell oldfashioned technology (which for VW I can prove with very specific details) they couldn't sell to someone somewhere else... which might explain their bad sales here..
    again, my apology .. I'm born with a foot in my mouth..:-)
    I kind of see, that not everyone needs power locks etc... but when it comes to safety, I really don't understand how one can safe a couple of bucks...
    every 10.000 € (prices always incl. tax) [non-permissible content removed] car in Europe has ABS and side impact airbags.... it's kind of difficult shopping here, with cars with almost nothing in it... manufactureres web sites give no real information... damn ...
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The sedan isn't the only choice in the U.S. In the U.S., the 5-door Corolla is called the Matrix (and its twin the Pontiac Vibe). It's a roomy little wagon.
    I forgot to mention the corolla wagon..
    the Matrix is a Pontiac????? Isn't Pontiac one of the "bad quality" brands? did Toyota and Pontiac cooperate to design it? do they produce it together? Weird... like the beautie and the beast.. :-)
    And how is the Matrix a corolla? is that the same plattform? It seems to be larger than the Corolla, and the body doesn't look like corolla at all. somehow it is higher and longer than the corolla (OK, a wagon is longer.... but ist doesn't share one sheet of metal with the corolla... wagons usually look like the base version from front bumpber to at least A or even B column). so i don't see how the Matrix is a corolla wagon.
    I considered the Matrix a little while as a wagon... but figured it to be too ugly. Corolla looks good (like a civic..), even when I originally disliked seadans. but the coroalla sedan is not too bad....
    still wondering about safety features available in WI, and oil changes (why so often)
    The Matrix is not a Pontiac... more like the Vibe is a Toyota. Remember the Prizm?

Toyota considers the Matrix to be a Corolla and even counts Matrix sales figures with the Corolla's. Same basic platform, same engines; but the Matrix offers AWD.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I personally like the German or European Corolla models, they have an edgeier styling than the U. S. Corollas do. I'd buy one of them in a heartbeat!
    Just my personal opinion though, though I think many would and will agree with me. That class of car truly needs a good "shakeup" in the styling department.

The Sandman :-)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I wish they had a Corolla wagon still. The Matrix is considerably shorter than the Corolla and has much less cargo space than a wagon would. A real wagon is the same length as the sedan.
    Even with different models in europe, Toyota still is the brand with the most reliable cars in europe... So, qualitiy of the cars is the same like in the US. there are mandatory bi-yearly safety tests for cars in europe (which explains the shortage of old cars... they just get too expensive to get through the test) and Toyota always will have the least complaints. Also, the car clubs have statistics what cars need the most road side assistance... oyota needs the least. (though, BMW, Mercedes & co have their own road side assitance network to make statitstics look nicer :-).
    But safety wise european models are way better equipped. Even the Yaris (which i assume is the Echo hatchback) comes with disc brakes oan all 4 wheel (yes, even the 64 hp version) and ABS ans side impact airbags. The new Toyota Aygo, that comes out in 05 and is even smaller than the yaris will have curtain airbags/ABS stadard. VSC will be optional.
    so, toyota, you got the technology, plaease, put it in all your cars.... I gladly will pay 1K more just to have rear disc brakes, VSC and all the air bags....
  • beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    Good morning fellow Corolla posters,

You may remenber me as the guy who thinks that the the European Corolla looks like an old VW and that the old VW's look like barf and therefore the European Corollas look like barf and I wouldn't have one and you may hate me for that, but I have a burning question about the last couple of posts:

"High-tech" is not always "better-tech" or "needed-tech". Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should or need to do it.

One of the many things that I really love about the Corolla and it's designer's mentality is that which is displayed by the presence of the car's rear drum brakes. The car is light, relatively slow (....< 100mph usually) reliable, economical, safe, it works and has attracted an almost cult following .... and it has drums in the back. Hmmmm... go figure.
    Unfortunately, "features" like twist-beam rear axles and rear drum brakes are ways to keep costs down on a car while keeping its overall quality high. Toyota must figure Corolla owners want a smooth ride and nice interior more than they want other things. For the people that want those other things, there are other cars.
    Hear, hear!

I couldn't agree more, with you or with Toyota's choice of rear drums. I've owned 15 or so cars with model years ranging from 1965 through 2005. I've never had rear disc brakes and remarkably I've never rear-ended anybody. Rear disc's are, for the most part - until you get in to real "performace" issues - a "Gotta-have-it" marketing item (IMO). Many people believe what the manufacturers suggest - that they have something to do with driving an economy car.

I used to own a Ford truck and read the related message boards like I do this one. Easily half of the discussions were related to how pickup trucks don't get good gas mileage. Duh! Same difference. Economy cars are for function.
  • cdubcdub Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Corolla Automatic. The 'safety lock' is broken, and it will not shift out of park.

I have found the 'switch', under the panel, and if I push that in with a screw driver, it will release it, however this appears to be temporary. Is there a way to disable this permanently without difficulty?

Cdub
  • tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    german corollas are equipped for the german lifestyle and us corollas are for us lifestyle. i myself own a nice 2005 corolla s and i dont have any problems with it. if you are someone who is looking for a nice and affordable family sedan, you may want to consider the corolla. if you want more stuff like someone else said there are a whole bunch of other cars. even if you are looking for those cool Japanese cars. honda, nissan and mazda are all pretty good. and i also have to agree that toyota does charge for stuff they shouldn't, but it is just the way it is. and i have a German friend and he says there is no speed limit there. so that is another factor to mention. safety is always good! :)
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    My once-owned 89 Corolla GT-S had rear discs. Only the GT-S and XRS (in the Corolla lineup) has the honor though, but it does come at a higher price.

My 89 also did 130 mph (and it still had more pedal), too.

My oldest car now, my 95 DX purrs on without this distinction. The 95 is an excellent highway car with all its 105 hp and 36 mpg. It now has almost 170K. I plan to buy it a new clutch one of these days. Hopefully it will make near 200K before it needs to be replaced. It just has to sit outside now, since I got a new xB.
    Is the xB the box? I can never keep them straight. How do you like it?

Did you get the 170K on the original DX clutch, or has it been replaced at some point?

Here's a goofy looking picture for you: :P
    I bought the box, it has about 1700 miles on it, after picking it up in February. It attracts lots of attention, mostly the good attention.

The Corolla still has the original clutch.

The xB is best for 4 people, but the Corolla is still the car of choice for long trips.
    I really wanted the B but the wife wouldn't have it. Maybe next time.

Also, whoever taught you to drive the clutch should be commended. Premature clutch failure is almost always operator error.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Interesting comment about the clutch. I will always be grateful to the guy who taught me how to handle a clutch and I've never had to replace one yet in over 30 years of driving. ;)
    Actually I learned on a 77 Corolla in a school parking lot from my mother. Later on in life when I met my wife, she had a manual but not very good at it. I taught her with my 94 T-100 at the time, and she perfected her skills.

I picked up the 95 Corolla in July 96 when it was roughly 2 model years old. I had to really search out to get a manual Corolla at the time. I have really enjoyed the manual, especially since it gives the engine way more power than the auto version. The only time I remember not liking it was the morning of New Years Eve in 97, when I left Epcot with everyone else.
    I learned to drive from my brother, George (although we called him Goo-Goo-Mash), on a 1972 Ford half-ton with three on the tree. I drove nothing but sticks until 1990 when my job required me to drive one-and-a-half to two hours in the afternoon for the 30 mile commute home. It was an easy pedal on a 13 year old Celica but I quickly learned where road-rage comes from.

George was a bit of a hot-rodder and got me in to the habit of downshifting a lot. We did all of our own car repairs and my dad once said he'd rather change 10 set of brakes than one clutch. He was right.

I find it critical to have the driver learn what the clutch actually does in order to use it properly. The best way I've found to do that is to teach them how to run up and down the gears using no clutch at all. If a person can develop that feel, they can clutch properly. Needless to say: Professional driver on a closed course - do not try at home, etc.
  • 96corolla96corolla Member Posts: 94
    I'm a big Corolla fan, but I really want a sporty wagon or hatch. I know that is supposed to be where the matrix comes in, but the matrix just doesn't do it for me. It is too high, not sporty enough and is marketed as more of an SUV alternative. I'm looking for sometihng comparable to the Mazda 3 hatch...or a little bigger. Sporty wagons are hot and I think Toyota is missing the boat a little. I love the looks of the 3, but would much rather buy a Toyota. Does anyone know if Toyota has any plans to introduce a Corolla Hatch/Wagon that is NOT the matrix?
  • wingnutt5wingnutt5 Member Posts: 6
    Would like to buy a used Corolla that will probably get me at least 4-5 years of reliable service at about 15K/year. It has been awhile since my last Corolla ('85 SR5 Hatchback).

Any thoughts on what kind of mileage should be looking for? 30K, 50K, 75K???

Thanks.
    IMO it's less a question of mileage and more a question of condition and maintenance. A car with 75k easy highway miles that is in good condition and has been well maintained is a much better bet than a car with 30k that's been driven hard, infrequent oil changes, etc. A well-treated Corolla can easily go 200k miles or more.
    I drove a Mazda 3 and its a nice car, but it lacks cargo area. It was fun to drive. Another fun wagon alternative is just about any Subaru. Toyota used to make some HB'S and wagons. Its like the Echo, the Echo hatchback is very popular in Canada but its not in the US. I did not like the Matrix.

All the Scions have hatches.

Any used Corolla will be a good purchase as long as it was taken care of as backy said. I had an 85 SR5 Coupe once and It was slowwwwwww. Any Corolla made after that series is much peppier.

98-99 Corolla 120hp
    00-02 Corolla 125hp
    03 up (not XRS) 130 hp.

I rented a 03 LE auto and it got 42 mpg. My friend has a 04 S Manual and it gets the same. Other than the Echo, the new Corolla gets the 2nd best gas mileage on the market excluding Diesels and Hybirds.

My 95 currently has 170K on it, and I plan for it go much, much higher.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    The auto tran lock is interlocked with brake light switch. Make sure your brake lights are coming on. If not, check the switch, it unlocks the trany when brakes are depressed.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Having rear disc brakes is not just a marketing thing. I want a car with rear disc brakes because they will automatically compensate for pad wear. Drum brake auto slack adjusters frequently don't work when the car accumulates miles and then the front brakes end up doing too much work. Or many people are too lazy to use parking brake which adjusts rear drums on many Toyotas.
    Your personal preference in this regard is certainly respected. I don't agree with it, but I respect it. That's what makes it personal preference.

Also, accumulating miles on a car doesn't make the adjusters not work. Lack of maintenance does, however. It all depends on what you're happy with.
  • pcotugnopcotugno Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone verify the MPG on the 2005 Corolla S 5 speed? The sticker says 32/41. I'm a little skeptical...I have a matrix and it is not getting what the sticker said.

Thanks for the help!

pcotugno
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Last time I checked, my 2003 Corolla LE was getting about 33/40, so that is in line. Of course, environment and driving habits affect mileage.
    32/41 is what the EPA got on their tests. As long as your driving habits match those of the EPAs test course, you'll achieve close to those numbers. But you can also apply fuel-saving driving techniques to meet or beat the EPA numbers even if your commutes don't resemble the EPA's test course. The fact you get less mpg than the EPA rating with your Matrix leads me to believe you'll get somewhat under the Corolla's number too, unless you change your driving habits.
  • pcotugnopcotugno Member Posts: 8
    I live outside of Denver. Do you think the altitude (5000' and higher) is affecting my mileage? Does the EPA modify it's mpg for different parts of the country?

pcotugno
  • sparks2sparks2 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an new Corolla. Does anyone have info on how to remove the stock six CD changer/AM/FM radio in the 2005 Toyota Corolla? Just wondering if there is a web site around with instructions and photo's.
    Thanks!
  • kmc2kmc2 Member Posts: 1
    "The dealer tech guy said that it was a normal sound for a Corolla" - Sounds like a lazy dealer tech guy.

My wife's '98 Corolla (it only has 40K on it) also made nasty grinding sounds when turning left - more so on hard left turns (not fast, just with the steering wheel all the way to the left) - I took it to a dealer, they drove it and said is was just a Corolla thing - what a load of bunk. I also took it to a Midas shop - they drove it, put it up on the racks and looked for CV joint boot tears or other indicators - they found nothing. They also said it was just a nuisance noise and we should just get used to it. (Note: neither the Toyota dealer or the Midas shop bothered to remove the tires during their "inspection"

Finally, last fall when I was rotating my wife's tires, I found the culprit. On the passenger side, front tire, one of the spring clips that holds the brake pads in place was mis-positioned - it was rubbing against the brake rotor, and actually ground a significant groove into the rotor. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers, tugged the spring a bit - it "popped" into place, and when I got the tire back on and test drove it, the grinding sound had vanished.

I'm not saying this is the cause of your problem, but it doesn't hurt to share right?
  • jim56jim56 Member Posts: 3
    I have checked my mpg at least six times and have always
    gotten 43-45 highway (5-speed manual). This is a great
    car.
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Wow, thats great. I've not noticed mine being that high, but I typically only check it when I'm on trips, whereas I would be driving 75 mph. Maybe at 60-65 mph it would be a little higher. It is a great car.
  • jim56jim56 Member Posts: 3
    Jacknimble:

I am a conservative driver - usually 65-70 on the highway. No jackrabbit
    starts or stops.

Jim56
  • carglowcarglow Member Posts: 91
    I've approached the 39 mpg highway with my 05 LE automatic, but never came close to the 30 mpg city ... closer to 23 mpg.

If Toyota introduces the ECHO hatchback to the U.S. in 06 I may trade in.
  • 01loadedle01loadedle Member Posts: 23
    I consistently get 31mpg reguardless of driving easy or fast. sometimes I drive like an old lady and other times I jackrabbit and pass slowpokes.
  • curtsailcurtsail Member Posts: 3
    I too am wondering about the cost vs benefit of Vehicle Stability Control and Anti Lock Brakes. Does anyone have one or both of these on a 2005 S?

Thanks
    I've got ABS but not Stab on an '05S. I learned to drive on late 60's and early 70's big Detroit suspensions in Chicago road conditions. I hate ABS and, although I don't have Stab, I can't imagine I would like it. Relinquishing control of my almost three ton Lincoln to a pile of sensors doesn't appeal to me.

Having said that, the S is my wife's car, and she can't drive for damn (never will). It is also the car that my kid is learning on now and two years from now, another will be learning. For these reasons, ABS and full bags were essential to me. I'm not yet sold on Stab.

More directly addressing your question, the ABS I have works great. It kicks in quickly, is very effective and is free of the scary pedal feedback some systems give you.
  • curtsailcurtsail Member Posts: 3
    I do agree about VSC and after looking closely at the 05 Corolla sales brochure VSC is not available on the 5sp. Strangely I cant find a Corolla-S 5sp with side airbags and ABS in the Portland Oregon area! Local fleet manager said this option combination was not brought into the NW for dealer stock. Did you have to order your S with ABS and side airbags? We are moving up from our '91 Corolla and want all the safety features we can get so it looks like factory order is our current option. I posted a message under the other "Toyota Corolla" heading asking about factory ordering experiance.
    Thanks for your input.
    Now that you mention it, we did have a hard time getting the one we wanted. We wanted Impulse Red with sunroof, bags, ABS and Auto. There was ample supply, both new and a couple of used '05's that had all of it - except bags. We passed up a real steal on an estate sale car because my wife wouldn't accept no bags.

The salesman called me one day to report that one had just come off the truck. I was there in 30 minutes but missed it already. The owner of the dealership just looked on his computer and said there was one in the "pipeline" coming to his place in two weeks. I put $500 on it while it was still being built. Two weeks later it landed and I drove it away.

Not really a factory order, per se, but I had to wait for one to show up.
  • sdjoshsdjosh Member Posts: 20
    Thank you all so much for replies related to VSC and ABS- the info is very helpful. My dad feels the same way as several of you about ABS, but I want to have it for others who will be using the car. I wonder how available/popular the system will be on the 06...

I'm still debating a sunroof. My wife wants one, but I'm wondering if it will affect MPG/performance. Any thoughts?

Last obsession: stereo. JBL worth it? I'm also curious to see if the 06 will have an ipod/aux input jack. Anyone have any problems using FM transmitters with their Corolla?

Thanks again everyone!
    I think the sunroof is one of the coolest features of the car. A lot of folks don't like them, but I do.

I don't think MPG will be affected, but headroom definitely is. Make sure you check out both.
  • 01loadedle01loadedle Member Posts: 23
    no the sunroof doesnt affect performance or mileage and if youre not over 5'11" tall it wont affect headroom. get the sunroof, your wife wants it so thats that. ;o)

you could get a jbl audio system cheaper than what toyota will charge but yes it will sound better than the pioneer radios toyota uses although theyre good. I can hear music with all the windows down on the highway so its plenty loud enough unlike other cars Ive had where you couldnt hear music with the windows down on the highway.
  • sdjoshsdjosh Member Posts: 20
    Thanks to everyone regarding the sunroof and JBL system. Your comments have all been truly helpful.

01loadedle, you make an excellent point, of course I should have just listened to my wife! What was I thinking? I haven't been married a full year yet, so I'm still learning. I've never had a sunroof (or a new car), so I'm sure we'll both be pleased.

I think I will now officially stop obsessing about Corollas- at least until the '06 comes out. Then it's back to the neurotic drawing board, and you'll likely hear from me again.

Best wishes to each of you.
  • m_c_1212m_c_1212 Member Posts: 2
    :cry: Hello All,

Ref : ENGINE BREAKDOWN for corolla 2000, with 62k miles.

My car is Toyota Corolla 2000 CE, Automatic. It has 62,000 miles on it.
    Yesterday while I was driving for a trip, it made some noise and then "check light" cameup. I stopped and then tried to start, it would not start again.
    It had to be towed to a toyota service shop. The service man said that the "engine has broken down" and would need about $3500-4000 to put a new engine.
    I WAS IN TOTAL *****SHOCK*****.

Since it is a Toyota dealership shop, I am inclining to trust their diagnosis. To be exact he said, the 4 rods of engine has broken down and this is the first time I have seen any such problem.

I am very very surprised and shocked to see car like Toyota corolla, with just 5 years and 62,000 miles on it, have its engine breakdown. I did regular maintainenace with oil changes and in fact just had my 60k few weeks back. I dont understand what would have gone wrong...... ( The car is not under warranty now so no way they will take care of it by their money ...)

Questions need help :

1) Does anybody knows how much does it cost to replace a new engine in corrolla? Is $4000 , (california) too high for a new one with labor charges ...?
    2) Could my car have some manufacturing defect from beginning that may have caused this case? How do i deal with this case ??
    3) Would the main toyota centre help in reimbursing this amount since this looks like such an unusual problem... or do you think they will just say "What can we do" ... You must have not maintained it--- Though i have most of the records to support maintanenance... Has anybody come across any issues out of warranty and talked to 800-331-4331 ( toyoyta line) and reimbursed from them...
    4) Any other ideas suggestions, inputs ( I know i could get a new car for like 10-15k so 4k is a big amount .... so buying a new is an option )

Overall I am shocked at this "engine failure" event. I will talk to the Toyota service center tomorrow and see what can they do. Already talked to my dealer .. he says "do what you want to do" I cant help .... you must have not maintained your car ... ( thats pretty "rude" ) .....

anyways... thanks for taking time to reply.
    mary :cry:
  • davehudsondavehudson Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I want you to know that I searched first and did not find an answer to this question, so I am going to post. My wife bought a 1998 Corolla LE from a Nissan dealer in Tallmadge, Ohio on 9th June 2004. At that time, we couldn't take delivery of the vehicle right away because there was a problem with the air bag light coming on. So, they had it fixed.

Fast forward to today: We now live in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, and the airbag light has decided to start blinking. A couple of questions:

a) Does the blink pattern mean anything, and is there an online resource that might clue me in to what the blink pattern means?

b) I was reading on a message board about another car (a Nissan product) that there was a way of resetting the air bag light by doing something with the door close sensor thingy in the door. Is there such a "secret handshake" for the Corolla?

c) Does anyone know if this would cause the car to fail inspection in Pennsylvania (we are moving back East in a few weeks)

d) In the words of Cliff Huxtable... "How much" That is, how much could this set us back... low end to high end. I know there could be multiple scenarios as to what is wrong with it. My money is on funky sensor, but who knows...

Thank you all in advance for your help!!
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to your car, and although it's very unusual, it does unfortunately happen to all makes. I hope, however, that since Toyota prides itself on the reliability on its cars that it will help you cover some, if not all, of the costs even though your car is out of warranty. You stated that your car is at 60k/5 years, which is the extent of the powertrain warranty on Toyotas, and the engine is part of the powertrain. I'd be interested to see if Toyota has been helpful in this case. Please let us know.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    My wife's 2000 Corolla had to be rebuilt under warranty due to a piston rod problem as well at just under 60,000, so it was covered under warranty, and they did give a free rental car while it was in the shop.

In an event unrelated to quality issues, we later replaced the engine due to my wife running it without oil in it, and the cost for a engine replacement from a used 2001 Corolla with 40,000 miles was around $2,800. I used an independent shop who found a used engine - often times a dealership will not install used parts.

Car has run fine in the 18 months since the engine replacement.