Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I think you are refering to the overdrive on/off button.
  • zachwzachw Member Posts: 2
    So, I am looking into buying a 2007 Corolla S. I was just wondering, is the keyless entry a separate unit and then the key, or is it like a lot of modern cars now and the key and the keyless entry are all one unit? I really like the whole one-unit idea with the buttons on the key, so I was just wondering if anyone knew, because I've seen some Toyotas with this key. Thanks!
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    We have a 06 Corolla S. The key is a seperate unit from the keyless entry unit. Works fine. However I wish the keyless entry unit could open the trunk like most other keyless entries do. :shades:
  • sales2010sales2010 Member Posts: 33
    Hi, I am thinking about buying a certified used Corolla when the new ones come out for my son. Could anyone tell me their reviews on the Corolla. Cons and Pros. Quality problems (rattles,) I read on another forum group about 2005 Corolla hot starting problems. 2006 wind noise by something with the windsheild. Thank you.

PS I looked on E-bay and noticed that some Corolla's are built in Japan, USA, and Canada. What is the difference in build?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    One thing to be sure to do is have every driver of the car take the Corolla for a long drive. (You could rent one for a weekend perhaps; Hertz et. al. has Corollas.) I say this because the seating position is uncomfortable for many people, including me. It's an issue that is mentioned in just about every review of the car, so it's not a secret, but something to check for before you buy.

The other thing I would do if I were you is to find a Corolla with the optional side airbags and curtains. The side crash test results are pretty good with them, not good without them. ABS and stability control (VSC) are also available as options and IMO are great safety features if you can get them on the car, but I think VSC in particular is pretty rare on the Corolla.
    Thanks for the review. Do you have any other issues other than the seating position? Quality issues? etc. Thanks for your help
    The Corolla is one of the most reliable cars on the market, plus the current generation is a mature design so any major problems have been worked out by now. With any model, there will always be a few cars with problems. You have to look at the overall picture. Your risk of a problem with the Corolla is lower than with most other cars.

Since the Corolla is a few years old, it's not quite up to par with newer competitors in terms of interior room, ride comfort, handling, crash safety, and power. But it's a well-made small car with excellent fuel economy, and that plus its reliability is why it sells in such large numbers.
    :) Thanks so much for your message. Do you own one? Do you happen to know what is the difference in build since I see some made in Japan, USA and Canada? Thanks so much
    I have a '99, my parents a '04, my co-worker '06, neighbor '03. All excellent cars, no problems. Mine was built in Canada, the others in USA. Don't worry about where built, because the engineering is the most important part. If a car is engineered well, it will be easy to put together properly.

See Consumers Reports and others - all say Corolla is tops, and very cheap total cost to own.
    No, I will not buy the current Corolla because of the driving position issue I mentioned earlier. Sitting behind the wheel is very uncomfortable for me. I hope Toyota addresses that issue with the next-generation Corolla.
    Don't understand the "driving position issue". I am 6 foot 225 pounds and 70 years old and have know trouble with getting in or out of my wife's 06 Corolla. We use it every day for all our running around. We have averaged 30 + MPG overall and are very happy with the car :shades:
    Hi, how is the AC and Heat? If you know, does the Corolla have a timing belt or chain? Thanks for everyone's help!!!
  • kholl1721kholl1721 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Corolla and have replaced the cat 3X with aftermarket Universals. The engine light ultimately comes back on each time. I have replaced 2 o2 sensors AND had the fuel injectors first cleaned then replaced. This has been going on since last summer. The worst is that is runs with some sort of roughness, especially while idling. I've been told by the dealership that it is not misfiring and that the cat is not a Toyota part, so will not make my car run the way it was designed to. I will not pay the $1,400 ransom to have it replaced again. Today another mechanic told me that it may be that since I went with a universal instead of an exact fit, that could be the problem. I made an appointment for next week to take it back to the guy who has already relpaced it 3X. Do I insist it is the wrong part and that an exact fit was what he needs to put on? Now since it has been welded would that even work? Is it an exaust leak, he assured me it wasn't, but Toyota says it is. I can't see the truth through all the urban legend these people tell to get my money!!!
    AC and heat are fine. As with all small cars, the AC might not be as cold as you would like when it is 95 and 80% humidity and you are stuck in traffic, but it is still good.

Corollas have had a chain beginning with the '98 model, and it is very easy to do the routine maintenance, compared to other makes.
    The car will be a year old 0n the 25th of this month. We live in North East Ohio and have had no problems withe AC or Heat. As a matter of fact we haven't had any problems with the car at all. I believe Toyota did a way with the timing belt in the late 90's or early 2000. :shades:
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Don't understand the "driving position issue". I am 6 foot 225 pounds and 70 years old and have know trouble with getting in or out of my wife's 06 Corolla.

I am 6'1" and 260 pounds and I have no problems getting into and out of the problem. I am averaging about 32 mpg in mostly city driving but I only have 1200 miles on mine.
    The problem with the Corolla's driving position has been documented in multiple reviews, including CR's. Basically, for many people (obviously not you), if you move the seat back so that the legs are supported comfortably, the wheel is too far away. Then if you move the seat up so that the wheel is a comfortable reach, the thighs are not supported. But I am glad you are very happy with your car. I think the Corolla is a good little car, except for this one issue. (I've owned two Corollas from past generations.)

Since everyone is a different size/shape (e.g. I am not 6 foot and 225 lbs.), that is why I recommended to the prospective buyer that all the drivers take the Corolla for a long drive, to make sure the driving position is comfortable.
    The Corolla is my wife's car. She is about 5' 7", no clue to her weight and her age is just a estimate at best. I asked her if she was uncomfortable with the seating positions in the Corolla and she didn't seem to have a problem with them, actually she had know idea what I was talking about. However we use her car for daily trips around town and average a couple of hundred miles a week. When go on vacation or out of town we use my LS 350. The longest trip we had in the Corolla was when we visited our grand son at Ohio State last fall.( About two hundred miles each way )
    Thanks for all the reviews!!! I really like these informative forums.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    The Corolla is my wife's car. She is about 5' 7", no clue to her weight and her age is just a estimate at best.

How could it be that you don't know how old your wife is? I would have thought that there was at least one form that you jointly filled out where it was listed (like perhaps a marriage license/loanappl/rentalform/deed/taxform/medicalform), or would have seen her drivers license.
    We have been married 46 years. When we were first married I was four years older then my wife and nine years younger than her sister. Last year I found out that I am now five years older than her sister and about ten years older than my wife. Not sure exactly how that happened but age is just a number. Sorry to have gotten off topic. :shades:
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Oh I get it now.

My wife's is easy to remember.....39 (and holding).

For the last 19 years
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    :P :P :P :P :P
    Sorry, I did not mean to get people mad at each other. Please, lets stick to stuff about the car, and not worry about ages and weights of people. Thanks! :)
    The only point I was trying to make was on the seating positions in the Corolla. I am a relatively tall and some what over weight senior citizen. My wife is a average height what ever weight senior citizen and neither of us had or has a problem with the seating in the Corolla. Until that one post I never even heard of seating problem with the Corolla. :shades:
  • electrobuzzelectrobuzz Member Posts: 47
    My wife's so big, that when she sits around the house, she sits around the house! ;)
  • electrobuzzelectrobuzz Member Posts: 47
    And, seriously, I love the "distance" to adjust the radio, shift, etc. It makes the compact (mini-compact?) more roomy!
    Try doing a Google on "Corolla uncomfortable position" and/or "Corolla awkward position" and see what you find.

Just because a car fits two people, you and your wife, doesn't mean it fits everyone. Obviously, if you had found the driving position intolerable for you and your wife, you wouldn't own a Corolla today.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Like I have said all along, if you are interested in buying a vehicle, go rent one for a weekend and see if the car fits you. One weekend in the Mazda 3 convinced me that the Mazda 3 was the wrong car. One hour in a Kia Optima was all it took for me to return the car to Hertz and ask for another car.

Don't rely on what you read from some auto writer or on some website. Make sure that YOU are happy with what you are going to spend hours in.
    Really sound advice about trying a vehicle out before you purchase one. I have no desire to google anything about the Corolla. we already have one and my wife is happy with it. The old saying "Happy wife - Happy life" still holds true. My post about the seating was nothing more than MY OPINION.on the subject :shades:
    Thanks for the replies. I will look more into the seating position.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    77 Corolla DX - 2 door - 191,000 before it was sold - had in family for 15 years - replacement 72 Landcruiser (which was a bad decision)

85 Corolla SR5 - 2 door - It has 110,000 on it when my friend was wanting to buy it. - had 2 years = replacement was the next one listed

89 Corolla GT-S - 2 door - 150,000 when sold - Had for 10 and a half years - Sold to another friend which later sold it to another friend - Should have never sold it, but IMO the best Corolla ever made - replacement was 91 Celica GT HB

95 Corolla DX - 4 door - currently has 215,000 and have owned for over 10 and a half years - still on original clutch

And all of the Corollas had manuals with the first one being a 4 speed. Had to say that after reading the manual vs. automatic heading.

1968 - Corolla Introduced with 1.2
    1975-1979 - 2nd generation with new 1.6 (69 HP for year 77)(in addition to 1.2 for base) for DX and SR5 models - 4 and 5 speed manuals with 3 speed autos. - 2/3/4/5 door options
    1980 - 3rd generation - now has 4 round lights instead of 2 since its inception - 2/3/4/5 door options - new 1.8 (73 hp - memory)added in addition to previous 1.6
    1982 - the front headlights are now square (4)
    1983 - last year of 3rd generation - new 1.6 engine (70 hp)- SOHC
    1984 - 4th generation - half of the models are RWD and half are FWD, 5 door HB replaces wagon - 2/3 doors get pop up headlights, all models get square headlights (2) - two tone interiors was the fad at the time - LE introduced
    1985 - Corolla GTS comes out with 1.6 112 hp - DOHC and fuel injection - the first Corolla to have it - readlines at 7500 rpm - the special LE limited was top model for 4 doors
    1986 - FWD models get projected headlamps - RWD models get black-out treatment - lower 1.6 now makes 73 hp
    1987 - no 3 door
    1987-1988 - Corolla FX models - remember these? - had GTS Model too, but came in three trim levels with
    1988 - 5th generation - all FWD - base 2WD gets 1.6 90hp but with Carburetor, new 1.6 100hp with fuel injection for All-trac models,and GTS engine now makes 115 - just 2/3/5 doors
    1990 - two engines - 1.6 FE 102 hp and 1.6 130 for the GTS - bumpers are now being painted the same color for the DX (option)and the LE
    1991 - last year of the 2 door - Lets now pause for some remorse.
    1992 - last year of the bodystyle
    1993 - 6th generation - DX and LE have 1.8 115 hp and base has 1.6 105 hp - 4/5 doors
    1995 - detuned engines but higher torque for 1.8 105 and 1.6 100 hp
    1996 - last year of the Corolla Wagon - Matrix?????? - restyle - DX was the highest model (no LE)
    1997 7th generation - LE brought back with CE replacing DX and VE for the base model - 1.8 120 hp
    2000 - mild restyle - S came out and CE became bottom model - 1.8 125 hp
    2003 - Current generation with 1.8 130 hp
    2004-2007 - XRS model was introduced similar to the old GTS's with 1.8 170 hp (could be slightly off by a few) with 6 speed manual

I have ridden or owned in each generation except for the 3rd.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Great post, thanks tundradude .

This may also be of interest: Toyota Corolla - Generations.

:)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Don't understand the "driving position issue". I am 6 foot 225 pounds and 70 years old and have know trouble with getting in or out of my wife's 06 Corolla.

I'll explain my problem with the driving position.

I'm 6'4", 190 lbs. I have no trouble getting in and out. I have trouble getting comfortable when in the driver's seat. To set the seat where I can reach the wheel properly (as in my Honda, or any other vehicle) my legs are way too scrunched. If I scoot the seat back to where my legs are comfortable (all the way back), I can't reach the wheel without stretching.

The car itself is fine. Lacking in low-end power, has numb steering, and a buzzy engine at high revs. It has good economy, proven reliability, and good interior room. But the driving position is perfectly awful.

(The vehicle I drove was a 2004 Corolla LE, Automatic, and was my ex-girlfriend's car).
    "The car itself is fine. Lacking in low-end power, has numb steering, and a buzzy engine at high revs. It has good economy, proven reliability, and good interior room. But the driving position is perfectly awful."

That is your opinion. The Corolla belongs to my wife. I don't drive it much but I have never had a problem with getting in the vehicle or being uncomfortable while riding or driving the car. I have know idea what a buzzy engine or numb steering means and really care too. The car is a little more than a year old and has averaged 30+ MPG overall, runs great looks great and most importantly the wife loves the car. :shades:
  • koolrosekoolrose Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know when the next generation Corolla will be available in the US? I am thinking about buying one of the current models, and I would like to know how much time I have to make a decision.
    Consensus seems to indicate spring 2008 for the all-new 2009 Corolla. The 2008 Corolla has been announced and is carry-over.
    Will it still be built in USA and Canada? I wish some would be built in Japan
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Does anyone know just how much audio power the optional JBL music system delivers in the Corolla? I see that this optional package is now available with the S model for the carryover '08 Corolla. Does it include a subwoofer? I can't get a straight answer from the Toyota website. Upon purchase I'm not sure whether to go with this option or seek aftermarket. I've heard that Toyota sound systems are lame, to say the least, except in the Camry. That optional JBL set-up delivers a whopping 440 watts!

Any 4-1-1 will be appreciated!

Peace!!

AladdinSane<- :shades: --
  • chris360chris360 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, i have an 07 corolla s with the sound package, and it did not come with a sub. I had an old one I used from my other car though. :) But the sound is great without a sub, it seems fairly accurate, even at high volumes.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I just bought a 2000 corrola VE with a 3 speed transmission. I have been looking on the web trying to find out what is the history behind this transmission? Is it reliable? Does it get the same mileage as the 4 speed? I was worried that I might not like what I hear but can some one give me some insight on this?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    It should be reliable, but will get nowhere near the mpg of the 4 speed on the highway, where it will lose about 5 mpg maybe more depending on speed.

It will also be noisier on the highway, and may accelerate a little slower.

Should be good around town, but not great where the speed limit is 80 mph.
  • stryker1dnstryker1dn Member Posts: 9
    i Have a 2003 Toyota Corolla S, and the other day while wiping and cleaning the interior i noticed that the front door seals (on the car half, not the door itself) had a wear mark and worn right through. It seems that being long legged and having the seat all the way back, i rub the seal as i get into the car. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but wanted to pass the info on. Just so others are aware and able to keep this from happening to them. I dread the cost to replace them. But all in all i enjoy the car, and glad i bought it.
    I recall something about a TSB on the door seals of early '03 Corollas. Of course, it is too late now, but check into it for the fun of it.
  • matrameshmatramesh Member Posts: 3
    I am planning to buy a 2001 corolla CE which doesnt have the power windows and locks. How feasible/expensive it is to get new power windows and locks installed?
    If you need these options, don't buy this car. Way too expensive to do.
    "The car itself is fine. Lacking in low-end power, has numb steering, and a buzzy engine at high revs. It has good economy, proven reliability, and good interior room. But the driving position is perfectly awful."

That is your opinion. The Corolla belongs to my wife. I don't drive it much but I have never had a problem with getting in the vehicle or being uncomfortable while riding or driving the car. I have know idea what a buzzy engine or numb steering means and really care too. The car is a little more than a year old and has averaged 30+ MPG overall, runs great looks great and most importantly the wife loves the car.

Well of course it's my opinion :)

I can get in and out of a Corolla perfectly fine. But the wheel is WAY too far away from me when the seat is set for my legs. By "buzzy engine" I mean the engine lacks smoothness at high-RPMS (such as when the engine kicks down to 3rd gear at 75 MPH to maintain speed up a hill). By "Numb steering" I mean the car has little road-feel and a generally sloppy feel at the wheel. Drive a Honda, better yet a Mazda, and you'll understand what I'm talking about; they have less slop at the helm.

Toyotas have typically have clientele who just want to go from A to B, not people who enjoy driving (dare I say "enthusiasts). For those, like yourselves, the Corolla is a good car. It's just relentlessly boring to operate for those of us used to something more fun.

(yes, old post, but still applies since the Corolla is now going into year number 6!)
    Get an LE, or a 2001 Civic LX instead if you want similar mileage and quality (the Civic will have PW, PL, Cruise, Power Mirrors, etc).
    Well of course it's my opinion. I can get in and out of a Corolla perfectly fine. But the wheel is WAY too far away from me when the seat is set for my legs. :sick:
    You definitely have too much time on your hands. We had this same discussion three months ago, and nothing has changed since then. You have the same argument ( opinion ) with the seating in the Corolla because of something wrong with the length of your legs or arms or what ever. and yes the reason we bought the Corolla was to go from point A to point B. Why else would you purchase any vehicle.
    Not sure a car "enthusiast" would be driving a Corolla or Civic or any compact vehicle to start with. Something like the Ford Mustang, Chevy Corvette, BMW, or Lexus would come to mind. However at three dollars a gallon for gas and 30+ MPG on her Corolla "relentlessly boring to operate" isn't a bad thing. :shades:
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    I own an '04 Corolla which I bought new. I never experienced any real discomfort in the driver seat. I've banged my knees against the dashboard at exiting mainly. I believe that Toyota should make it a little higher, but that means that they will have to push the roof upwards or tall people wouldn't fit. The car is already tall. I'm 5'7".

Now, what's up with fun to drive factor or people buying it to go from A to B. I'm a car enthusiast, not an expert, but feel that this car always delivers. Good power,and torque, fuel economy and dependability, as well as value with safety.

This isn't a BMW, Audi or Lexus. Corolla is an honest to goodness car. :)