Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Sounds like you're getting great MPG... I still can't figure out how the Corolla can get such good MPG, considering how zippy the engine is and the car's curb weight. The Civic weighs about the same, but the engine is much smaller and less performing, but it achieves less MPG.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I believe it is the VVT design of the engine. This architecture promotes mpg AND good performance. I had a Lincoln LS which is a great car but didn't have the VVT technology and its mpg left alot to be desired. BTW, my Corolla is a stick.
    Funny how a Lincoln LS doesn't have as much engine technology as a Corolla! So, if I understand correctly, you traded in your LS for a Corolla? Apart from the MPG issue, were there other reasons for the switch?
    A new home with the pressing need for several thousand dollars to landscape was the cause. I owned the LS outright. Sure do miss it as it was/is a wonderful car. My commute is now 45 miles one way, all freeway, little traffic. The great mpg of the Corolla helps me forget the LS!
  • tbonegrltbonegrl Member Posts: 4
    Desertguy--

This is my one complaint too...all of the civics come with the 60/40 rear seat, but the only corolla model that comes with the folding rear seats is the top model...(le?)

I think they all should have it...
    The folding back seat really is handy... I've used it 3 times already!

I think Toyota didn't put it in the CE or S models as a cost-cutting measure. Remember one thing though: if you'd buy the base Civic, you'd get a whiny, puny 107 hp engine with no VTEC, but you get a 130 hp (or 127 hp) engine with VVT-i on a CE. Which one would you like best? I think Toyota made the best cost-cutting decision with this one.

The only complaint I have about my Corolla is that I don't have those integrated map lights with the rear view mirror. Does the US Corolla have this? Oh well, I can certainly live without it, but it's a nice option anyway.
  • dolla2000dolla2000 Member Posts: 9
    Canc, my 2001 LE has the integrated map lights as well as the 60/40 split rear seat. The more I drive this car, the more amazed I am at the number of features in such a small package.

You make a good point about the Civic. The weak engine and the cost for the extras essentially ended my trip to the Honda dealer before it began. The Civic is a nice car but I (obviously) like the Corolla better.
    You're right, it's amazing to see how many features are packed in the Corolla. Do you use the map lights often?

The biggest features I was looking for were ABS brakes and a CD player. The ABS brakes were optional, but the CD player came standard on the Corolla. Although CDs are more or less now the media standard, it's still rare to see a CD player as standard equipment on a car. A friend of mine pointed out, however, that the physical dimensions of the CD player makes it almost impossible to put in an aftermarket radio, but who would? I find the stock radio to be superb.

As for the ABS brakes, they had an Indigo Ink LE sitting in the lot but without ABS brakes, so it was ordered for me. It took about 4-5 weeks since it was made right here in Ontario.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    I'm looking for a car for my son (first car) When does the timing belt need to be changed (miles). if it goes out does it mess up the engine if it is running (my old civic lost a timing belt while i was driving and the valves hit the pistons and needed a $ 800 fix (there's a name for the engine type that will do that)

I have focused on the 98 year for price reasons, any thing i should be aware of (problem areas, repair history)?. What are the major expensive service intervals that way i can tell if they have been done. e.g. on my MB the major services are at 30 and 60k miles with oil changes in between.

Any suggestions, insight as to options or models
    HOw long does the standard last, if i could teach him to use a standard should i get it, or stick with the auto.

Real life MPG? city and hwy i know its rated for the auto 29/36.

About real world MPG, I'm not sure about the 98, which I think has the same 1.8L VVT-i I have in my 2001, but I've been getting great MPG lately. I don't beat up the car, and accelerate smoothly, and I've been getting around 45 MPG as an average, doing 65% highway and 35% city.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    Is your '01 LE a 4-speed auto? I've been getting a little over 30 MPG in the city with my '01 LE (auto)...
    Yes, it's a 4-speed auto., but I do mostly highway driving (65%). I must be getting around 30 MPG in the city too.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The 1998 and newer Corollas use the new all-aluminum 1.8 engine, and it does not have a timing belt, but a chain. Thus, it doesn't need periodic replacement, at least not on any schedule that resembles that of the belts.

Chains are making a comeback; they never left in the case of many European engines [Mercedes being the most prominent], but the new Nissan Altima's engines, both V6 and I4, will have chains driving the cams, as well.

With the new spark plug materials, and the timing chain, the current 1.8 [and its upsized cousin, about to appear in the new Camry as a 2.4], are the closest thing to "maintenance-free" engines that there are out there - fluid and filter changes are about all there is to do for many, many miles.
    To answer another part of your question, I think the new generation of engine in the Corolla is a non-interference design...but on this point I am less than 100% sure. There is a website somewhere that lists every major manufacturer and which engines are interference and non-interference designs, but I am clueless at the moment at to where I saw that.

And beyond some minor issues about noisy suspension pieces [the age-old Toyota bugaboo about squeaky bushings, I think] on a few cars, this has been a remarkably trouble-free car right from the get-go [the 1998 model year]. With mass-produced cars, there is always the chance of getting something exceptionally troublesome, but the average Corolla owner of this generation car has had a pretty good ride.
  • gsbhasingsbhasin Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    I bought a new Corolla CE 2002 auto 2 days ago. The manual says not to exceed 55 miles per hour for the first 1000 miles. However I am in the Los Angeles /Orange county region and have to use freeway to get to work. Even in the right lane it is well neigh impossible to drive below 65 miles, heck people are on your tail. Unless of course there is a traffic jam.

And low speed driving at 55 miles or less has the danger in South California of getting yourself rear ended!!

How do I handle this in the break in period?

All suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,
    Gurpreet
    THis is to allow the rings in the pistons to "set" i believe. Most require you to "vary your speed" for example 500 miles at 30mph won't allow the rings to set well. the key i believe is the first 500 vary speeds, some at 25, some at 55 a a little at 65 and don't go to redline. I think the most harm is new car, and immediately shift at redline, or keeping very high rpm in any one gear when new. others will have opinions
    but this is how i've handled my breakin period for as long as i have driven. The big thing years ago was to change your oil after breakin, now i don't think that's necessary due to the quality of the oils and no real debris is generated during first 1000 miles. I think the best is a balanced approach. Gentle use of the rpms.
    I just went through this with a 2002 S and I also commute in So. Cal. 45 miles each way to work on the fwy. As was said, it is most important to vary your speeds. I have a stick so I would drive some miles in 5th and then drive the same mph in 4th which changes the rpms the engine is turning. I think you only have a 3 speed automatic in the CE so shifting to "2" would probably be too many rpms. They were on my tail too but what the heck, let em go around. Just don't drive in the "fast" lane. I'm driving from Banning to Palm Desert and there is no slow down so the traffic is really moving.
    Thanks nofeer and desertguy.
    What do you mean by redline, nofeer? I think some cars have a dial for seeing the rpm. Mine does not have one. How do i know i am getting over the red line?
    i guess when are you exceeding a certain rpm, the engine makes a great noise, which i try to avoid. But its playing by the ear at best. Is there anything else i can do for not exceeding 'redline'?

Do you guys use Premium gas? The manual says Octane 87 or above. And which brand is better, Shell , Mobil or Union 76?

Thanks again,
    gurpreet
    There is no advantage to using premium gas in the Corolla. It is set up for 87 octane so that is what I use. My wallet is greatful. As for brand, go with the cheapest. Arco is good around here but most want cash or debit card only. I have a Mobil Speed Pass so I stop there and wave it at the pump. Very convenient.
  • flootfloot Member Posts: 22
    Hello everyone: I am doing as much research as possible with the goal of eventually purchasing a 2002 Corolla CE. I live in the Southeast Toyota region (NC) and wonder what other charges appear on the bill of sale besides tax, title and license fees. Advertising fees? Doc fees? Any other surprises? Thanks for your help!
  • kbuikbui Member Posts: 15
    floot, you are right in focusing on the out-the-door price. This is what I would do:
    - locate the car you want, with the options you want;
    - tally up the destination fee and the invoice prices for the base car ($11,624, last time I looked) and the options;
    - add whatever profit you think the dealer is entitled to make, and subtract the customer rebate (I think it has gone up to $750; it was $500 when I bought mine 2 weeks ago);
    - add 3% sales tax, and about $100 for the paperwork (license fee, "documentation" fee, "courrier" fee, etc). This should get you an out-the-door price that is acceptable to you.

To keep things simple, negotiate only on this out-the-door (OTD) number. Tell the salesman that you don't care how the dealership breaks it down, all you are interested in is the OTD price. Most salesmen will try to confuse you by pointing out the different components of the OTD price and how they are not making any profit... Keep smiling, and focus on the OTD price. Tell them that there is profit built in through the holdback, even if they sold you the car at invoice. This will show them that you have done your research, even though you are not asking them to part with any of the holdback. And if you are not in a rush, wait till the end of the month: salesmen and dealerships will be trying to fill their quotas and so may be more flexible on prices than at other times.

Also, a good place to check out current rebates is carsdirect.com. Use the "configurator" on their website to build your car, and you'll see the customer rebate right away (if there is one).
    Good luck.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    If you own a 96 Corolla, why get a 02; when you can get a new 03 next year?
    Every now and then in history the Camry and Corolla shift their sizes. The new 02 Camry has shifted to a Avalon-size so the 03 Corolla should shift as well. This last happened with the 92 Camry and the 93 Corolla.
  • doismilldoismill Member Posts: 6
    Desertguy, I was reading your comment about your corolla not having a power outlet. Supposedly that only comes with an automatic tranny. At least that's my understanding from lit. and online info.

I just started looking at the 2002 Corolla S. I find the front end very appealing. It sort of reminds me of a Lexus IS300, after all that is the Corolla's big brother.

Anyways, my first car is a 1984 Corolla LE. I saw a few of you were slightly disappointed about not having a split rear seat. My 84 has a 50/50 split rear seat. What's up with that? Why can't a car that's 17 or 18 model years older have a split rear seat.

Sorry I'm dragging on with so many different ideas, but have any of you done any performance upgrades or body kit additions, such as the TRD package???
    Did you have a trade-in to deal with? If so, were you able to keep it seperate from coming to agreement on the new car price? Thanks for your great information!
    Well, waiting for the 2003 Corolla does make sense for me from a financial point of view. I could save up more money for down payment and pay off more of my current loan on the 96 Corolla (purchased last summer when my 1989 Dodge Colt gave up the ghost and I had been walking for several weeks.)

I don't know enough about what the major design change for the Corolla involves. Also, I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly?) that a major redesign equates to price increase.
    This car is definitely going to be worth waiting for. There will be more room, especially in the back seat, marginally more power, and even more refinement than the current design. Look for a return of features that had been lost, like the height-adjustable driver's seat in the LE. [The era of decontenting at Toyota is over.]

As for prices, I'm sure that will be up, but probably not more than 3-4%. For anyone who wants a car in this class, and can afford to wait, this is the one to wait for. I would look for release about this time next year - most of our cars will come from the Canadian plant, as NUMMI will be working on the Pontiac Vibe and its Toyota counterpart [based on the new Corolla platform].
  • kbuikbui Member Posts: 15
    floot, I did not have a trade-in. If you have one, consider selling it yourself - you'll get more money for it.
    If you don't want to sell it yourself, get a few estimates for your car (kbb.com, edmunds, carmax ads, your favorite mechanic, similar cars in the classified ads, etc); you should be able to zero in on a fair value. When you go to the dealer, try to keep the 2 transactions separate. Tell the dealer "I have done my research, and this is the price I expect for my trade-in. If you agree with it, let's talk about the car I want to buy. If not, let me go elsewhere."
    The key is to have a realistic price for your existing car. If you are confident you have come up with a realistic price, don't budge from it. And please note that the market for used cars can vary significantly, depending on the area you live in.
    The 02 Camry is 1000 less than the 01 Camry.

The present style Corolla 98-02 has been much cheaper than its predecessor (93-97).

Another way to play this games is to get the low finance rates. A positive occurence during a recession.
    You are correct that the extra 12v power outlet comes with the auto tranny only. As for the split rear seat, it is available only on the LE model. Some of the features I like on the S are the leather wrapped steering wheel & shifter and the body color outside mirrors and mudgards. What I really want is an after market sunroof!
    I just got a price quote from a local dealer on what I believe is a 2002. The MSRP was 17,189 but after the rebate it would be 15,254. 300 dollars under invoice. This included an auto tranny, a sunroof, S convienence package, extra value package #2, alloys, cd player. Pretty much everything I wanted. I don't need a sunroof really in the NW. So desertguy, does your Manual S have one power outlet? Does the automatic get an extra outlet? Or do you not have one?

If you goto the popular mechanics website, under automotive and asian spy reports they have a picture of what may be the new Corolla.
    My S has an outlet where the cigarette lighter would be. With the auto you should have 2 outlets.
    It's a known fact that because of the rising yen a few years ago, Japanese manufacturers had to decontent their cars to keep them competitively priced.

Do you really think that the Corolla has been decontented during the 2000-2002 model years? I was looking at my Corolla tonight and I don't find anything that's below average when compared to its competitors. The interior trim (plastics, fabrics), for example, is one of the best in its category, and it seems that Toyota has put in even more content for the 2001 facelift, such as adding an extra power outlet for the automatic version.
    Re: redline--guess you will have to hear it--if it's screaming it's too high for break-in

98 as a used car for my son want abs, does it come with it or an option. which models (corolla, prism) have abs or will i just have to just check the details i wonder if it was a common thing to have. will i have problems getting a used one with abs.
    Toyota made few bones about what their strategy was with the 97 Camry and 98 Corolla - take as much cost out of the car as possible, and hope they had done it in ways that the customer wouldn't notice. The most prominent example I can point to in the Corolla was the deletion of the seat height adjustment for the driver in the LE. This presented real problems for my mother-in-law, and we had to resort to add-on cushions for the front seats - they work well enough, and she is thrilled with the car, but this was an example of a step backwards in features that will be addressed in the '03 redesign. The continued presence of that antiquated 3-spd automatic is another example...look for that to go away, as well.

The '02 Camry redesign shows that Toyota knows it has to start moving back to a richer "base" level of equipment for our market. I think the '03 Corolla will continue this trend...
    ...has been available as an option from the beginning, but is as scarce as hen's teeth. Looking for a used one with ABS is like searching for a needle in a haystack. The Prizm might in fact be a better target for a used car - more of them came with ABS, keeping with GM's belief that this should be a nearly universal feature. You will have to look under the hood for the ABS controller, however - get a mechanic to show you what to look for. 90% of owners couldn't pass a quiz on the topic if you asked them, so accepting someone's word for it is unreliable.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Well, if you start the car and an ABS light comes on, it is a safe bet that the car has ABS. ; )
  • ata3001ata3001 Member Posts: 30
    Four months & 6000 totally trouble free miles have passed since purchasing a new 2001 Corolla S impulse red w/5 spd, tilt/slide moonroof, spoiler, alloys, fog lights (std with s pkg), deluxe ETR/CD w/4 speakers, V.I.P. RS-3000 security sys, all weather guard pkg, heave duty rear defogger, cruise control, tilt wheel, value pkg. #2 (air, digital clock, pwr windows & locks, power dual color-keyed mirrors), outside temp gauge, carpeted floor mats & Michelin tires. Out the door price, $16000, tax included. I have not had to return to the dealer yet for any reason. This car has an incredibly smooth ride, which means the handling is just so-so. No squeaks, no rattles, & everything fits together, as it should. My weekly gas mileage 50/50 city/hwy is averaging 38 mpg with a high of 46 mpg on the hwy & a lowest of 34 mpg (1 tankful when new). Here's my question: Why do others believe the styling of the 2001/2002 corolla is outdated & prefer the type of styling found on the current civics & on the next generation corolla? Take another look! The headlights look huge. Why do automobile designers believe we all want those UGLY license plates as the centerpiece for the rear of the car? They locate it right in the center of the trunk lid. UGLY!!!! IMHO. They should be down as low as possible & as inconspicuous as possible as in the current design. Why do so many people believe this is a much more up-to-date, nicer, & fresher design? I simply don't understand that line of thinking. The current design also has very distinctive & attractive headlights as well as nicely integrated fog lamps. I simply don't understand what is outdated with its looks! Will someone please enlighten me? I know the next generation corolla will have more power, etc... but why introduce ugly (IMHO) styling as stated above? It will look more like the Ford Focus...GO FIGURE!!!!! I've owned much more expensive cars in the past, yet I believe this Corolla is the "best" car I've owned. More expensive, even at many times the cost of this car does not automatically mean better. Better means just what the Corolla offers & that is: low cost of ownership, great reliability, & high resale value. A car that is "faster" does not mean its "better". Its just "faster". Remember that!
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Enjoyed your post. I think the excitement about the 03 stems from larger people feeling cramped in the current model, especially in the rear seat. I really wanted to get a Corolla, but after comparing the driving position, legroom, and what you could and could not do to get comfortable inside, chose the Elantra GT hatch instead. If the 03s were here, and it was anything like the room inside the Echo, it would have been a tougher choice. I also found the Corolla seats somewhat lacking in support and with no driver height adjustment or lumbar support.

Interesting to note that I paid exactly what you did. I got: A/C, full power including heated side mirrors, fog lights, ABS, traction control, 4 wheel disc brakes, alloys, 15 inch Michelins, trip computer, 6 speaker AM/FM/CD, bi-level center arm rest and storage console, moonroof, the rear hatch, split folding rear seats, intermittent rear wiper and variable intermittent front wipers, leather interior, and the big Hyundai warranty.

Not here to argue build quality, resale, reliability, etc. I concede all that. All I can say is that the GT has a solid feel and appears to be put together well. No problems in first 6,000 miles. MPGs can't touch the Corolla...I get 33 or so on the highway and 27 around town, but it is a heavier car with a bigger engine and a lot more room inside and in cargo carrying capacity.
    I like both my Corollas. My 6 foot self would like to have a bigger rear seat when I replace my 4 door model.

My 95 is tolerable.
    I absolutely love the styling of the 2001-2002 Corolla S. The spoiler, foglights and alloys make the exterior look sharp. I also like the black sport interior. I really think they should just leave the design alone for a few more years and just add some more power. Screw the cab forward design, in the future just stretch the wheelbase of the car. That's how the corolla has always grown. I don't care much about rear leg room myself. I'm the one up front driving, and I don't have kids. Let's start a petition, stop toyota from making the new design!!!
    I, too, rarely have rear seat occupants. I personally love the Corolla's styling. The Corolla probably isn't the most stylish car out there, but I think it has a certain flair and sporty style. It's not a box design like the Golf, it isn't bug-eyed like the Neon or the previous gen Civic... it has a style of its own. I think that having a stylish car that's not necessarily a huge attention grabber is probably in good thing, since it will probably still look stylish down the road in a few years. The Celica, for example, looks great, but what if future car trends don't follow its styling cues? The next gen Corolla looks good, but it has styling cues borrowed from the Prius and the Echo.

The current Corolla rocks! I'm signing that petition!
    that my Corolla looks sharp - I love the way it looks from the front and the back - it is proportioned well and is the perfect size for me - I also rarely carry passengers so the cramped legroom in the back doesn't bother me - a friend of mine was seriously thinking about a new Prizm but then she saw my Corolla and is now wanting a '01 "S" because it is such an attractive little car!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Prism hasn't had a "facelift" like the new Corollas, right?

I also think the Corolla is very well proportioned, and the size of the car is great when parking in tight areas. I'm starting to think that the Corolla really is a small version of the Camry. This car is so comfortable and quiet!
    Agreed! Someone referred to the Corolla as a "baby Camry" - sounds good to me - I don't know about the Prizm having a facelift - I have seen a few of them around town - they are not "ugly" IMO - I just think the Corolla is much better-looking, much better styling...
    Hey, how's your Corolla doing? We bought our Corollas at the same time, if you remember correctly.

No, Prisms aren't ugly, but it's very obvious that it's a rebadged Corolla. The interior layout is supposedly a bit different than the Corolla's. In any case, the Prism isn't sold here in Canada by Chevrolet, probably because the Prism sales would overlap the Cavalier's, the latter being a strong seller (or has been) here in Canada. Corollas are very popular here with everyone, from 20-something people to retired people. The S coupe is attracting the younger buyers though.
    ...with a "z", is how it is inexplicably spelled by GM. And the interior layout and materials are actually noticeably different, with more of a GM feel than I think most people would like, at least if you are used to Toyota's approach to life.

As for the current Corolla vs its likely '03 replacement, I will say up front I find the current car suitably handsome and easy to look at, and am certainly a fan of how the car drives. I prefer the extra refinement and better ride it offers vs the better handling and lighter feel of some of its competitors.

With that statement on the table, unlike the rest of you, I think the new design [as revealed in the various spy shots] looks just fine...yes, less formal, and moving more to the new worldwide corporate look that Toyota is using, but I find nothing in this area of the car to get worried about. And the improvements that I think are part of the new design are going to be worth waiting for.

The Echo, incidentally, is a very handsome car in the form it was INTENDED to have, namely the hatchback version that is sold everywhere else in the world as the Yaris. Since there is this myth that persists in the auto marketing world that Americans won't buy hatchbacks [though this is gradually starting to change], Toyota insisted on grafting that ridiculous square trunk on the Echo for our market, and the result it a rolling eyesore. Presumably they can do better when the design is supposed to be both hatch and sedan from the get-go, as the new Corolla will be [but no hatch for us, of course...we get the Matrix instead].
    My car is doing just great - no complaints - still getting over 30 MPG/city - no rattles or squeaks or anything like that - I did get a tiny paint chip on my hood though which I was able to cover with my small bottle of touch-up paint I got from the dealer - considering all of the road construction around where I live I guess that's not too surprising - I'm closing in on 2500 miles - got my first oil change at about 1950 miles (free) at the dealer...I have seen pics of the new '03 Corolla - it is certainly alot different than the current model - reminds me a little of the Focus - I think it looks good - but I also like what I have - I guess Toyota figured it was time for a major re-styling of the Corolla - I'm sure it will do well.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    This is the end of the line for the Prizm, as the assembly line in CA will be tooling up for the Vibe.

As to the "S", why doesn't a sport model have folding rear seats, let alone split folding rear seats? Seems that Toyota missed something here. The "S" should offer all of the functional items of the LE.
    Hi Guys,
    Got a new black 2002 Corolla CE, auto, AC , floor mats with 10,880 on about full cash.

This is in South California. Is it a good deal?

thanks