Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    It usually takes anywhere from 2 1/2 to 5 months, with 3 to 4 months being typical. Did you order a 2001 or 2002? I'm not trying to change your mind, but 4 months should put you into the beginning of Audi's new model year. Last year, 2001's started showing up at NJ dealers around the end of July. If you're leasing, the 2002 model will give you a much better residual. Also, 2002 model is supposed to have a facelift, and probably more features and should be even better screwed together. Downside? It'll probably also have a higher price.
  • lms37lms37 Member Posts: 8
    You just answered my next question. I just read somewhere that there might be a facelift for 2002. We ordered a 2001. We'll definitely check that out and order a 2002. Thanks for the help!
  • lmgottslmgotts Member Posts: 15
    I ordered an A6 4.2 early during the second week of December and took delivery last Friday, March 30th. I wanted a car with everything except the telephone, so I had to order it. (Silver/Black/Sport/Guidance/Premium/Rear air bags)

I *just* missed the January build, so the car went into the February build. The dealer reported a late first week February build, end of Feb. onto the ship date, and it arrived in San Diego 3rd week of March. A week to get to Northern California, dealer prep. etc. and I was driving March 30.

It was an agonizing wait, but well worth it. Amazing car. Zero problems at delivery +400mi. I'll post periodic mileage updates, and if anyone has questions about the 4.2 model, feel free to ask. Best advice I can give? Get the full sport package for the suspension! Not at all harsh, flat in the corners, lowers the car a bit plus bigger wheels and tires (looks really nice).

For pictures see: http://www.parallaxview.com
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Great pictures. I have the exact same car -- sort of -- I have the telephone and I got Nemo Blue with the Melange Interior. The Nav CD was FedEx'd to my house in 24 hours, so I literally didn't even have the car one day before the Nav CD arrived. Shh -- my dealer said he would get me one "free" CD (either a second zone or an update) 6 - 12 months after delivery. I think the CD is updated "big time" annually and has a minor update approx every other 6 months.

The telephone option ($495 MSRP) is great -- NO DROPOUTS, unlike my digital phone -- and I was able to get a package from my carrier that "turned on" my factory phone for $10.00 a month. And, when I am driving, I just forward my wireless portable phone # to my Audi. If you need a phone while driving, this is very nice. Also, you can add the factory phone at the dealer. FYI.

I saw the Silver A6 4.2 at the factory in Ingolstadt with an incredibly beautiful Camel Colored Leather Sport Interior. I tried to order it that way and Audi of America said Na Baby Na. The only "secret" order you can place is for Pearl White Paint. The sport seats, suspension and wheels make significant driving differences with very little ride quality changes -- I know you will love yours.

Agree on the 6spd too.

No problems either (4 months and almost 5K miles), but I do not like the Pirelli P6000 tires that it came with. My 2000 A6 4.2 had Dunlop Sp9000's and they were better in rain, curves, road noise and they lasted about 20K miles -- I have had the P6000's (Z rated) before and they will be long gone before that.
    Thanks for your comments Mark.

My dealer is really flaking on the map CD. He said it would be FedEx'd to me yesterday: no delivery. Apparently it didn't go out for delivery today (Tues. 4/3) either. Bummer. My partners here at my company have a BMW X5 with nav, and getting directions from your car is a great tool!

Anyone have a West Coast CD they want to loan me for a day? Gotta love digital discs, so easy to copy.

As you can see from the photos, my car came with Continentals. I like 'em so far.

You make a really great case for the phone. What is the per-minute fee you got along with the $10/month?

Finally found one fault in the car as delivered: the shoulder height adjustment on the passenger side seat belt (in the B-pillar) is installed a little off and will not slide up or down. Can't seem to push it into position myself, so will have to have the dealer take a look. I hope they don't have to take the pillar apart, as it always makes me nervous at the possibility of new creaks and squeaks.

I'm having the windows tinted this Friday, and that will about do it for now I think. I'm just trying to find more hours in my day to drive! Will have to use the weekends. Haven't really tossed the car around yet - my wife doesn't like the hot-rodding around, so I'll have to go early one day by myself.
    Went with Verizon wireless.

Bought 1,800 minutes a month with a wireless hand held phone for $39.95 (600 peak and 1,200 off peak, no LD chrge).

This phone has phone #1.

Activated Audi car phone -- free activation.

Went to Audi dealer -- which is done after activation, to "turn on the steering wheel buttons."

Audi has phone #2, but it is "billed" as if I was using phone #1 -- which is to say, I have a pool of minutes -- and it doesn't matter if #1 or #2 uses the minutes. So my monthly cost "free calls" is now $49.95 -- then I get charged for air time after my 600 peak and 1200 off peak. I think it is another $10.00 to raise the 600 to 900 and the 1,200 to 1,500 -- so far it has not been an issue, because so much of my phone time in the car is apparently "off peak." I have burned through the 600 minutes once in the past four months.

The Audi system is telephone hi-fi and even the volume is controlled on the steering wheel -- the Navigation Lady's voice will come on just loud enough to hear it over the phone or tape, radio or CD that may be playing (her volume is adjustable, too). And, yes you are right the Nav system is fantastic -- I finally got mine set the way I like it -- which is to say "Fast Route." Mine came with a default of "Short Route" -- which may be shorter but is often much longer (time.)

Re-route is great too. The system is almost uncanny and is accurate at minimum 95+% of the time to within a few feet. One or two times it "got confused" but one of those was after a major highway had been changed from a left bend to a right bend (a new CD annually would appear to be a good thing at least here in the Orange Barrel Cap of the midwest -- Cincinnati).

The Navigation system is one of THE most useful features I have ever seen -- when I bought it I thought it would be cool and possibly used from time to time. I use it regularly -- even in areas of my city I thought I knew. It always seems to "get me there faster." It goes ways that I "know" but would never think to use -- time and time again, I find myself relying on this tehcnology. And it seems to know 90%+ of the restaurants in Cincinnati -- and although we are a small city, we have a TON of fine restaurants and the Audi Lady just guides me to them without fuss.

Oh yes, in Germany, front Parktronic is available as an addition to rear parktronic, but not the other way around (front parktronic has an off on switch unlike rear Parktronic).

Enjoy your new Batmobile.
    Mark,

Parktronic:

I've posted this over on AudiWorld.com, but no feedback.

Before I go hunting for the sound source (speaker), I was hoping that I could adjust the volume of the parktronic in some way. It is WAY, WAY TOO LOUD! I'm blasted by it up front, and for rear passengers it's like electroshock therapy. Haven't spent any time looking for the source (and I'm hoping that it's not coming through the stereo system...). No info in the manual.

The single chirp as I go into reverse is a wake up, and the warning chirps as I get close to something are just too much. I'd almost prefer that it was off, if the volume cannot be adjusted.

Ideas?

Telephone:

Thanks for the info. Out here, I use SprintPCS. I might look into the phone for the car, sounds like a nice setup.

P.S. Gave the dealer some grief this am - though I feel that I'm suffering more of that than he is :-), and now expect my disc tomorrow.
  • petrie3petrie3 Member Posts: 47
    Read your post with interest and envy. Your phone plans seem much better than ours here in SoCal. I just signed up with Verizon here for $49.00/month which includes 450 peak mins., 1000 night/weekend mins. and 1000 mobile-mobile minutes. Your plan gets more peak minutes for less $ and I like the phone #2 deal too. Ah well, on the other hand, it's 70 deg. here again today and the links are calling! :-)) ( no flame meant...I went to school in Ohio, as did my daughter and love visiting old friends there!).
    Gotta say that the SprintPCS plan here in NorCal is pretty good. Got a nice phone with 2500 minutes (1000 anytime, 1500 off-peak), free LD for $49.95/mo.

Some promo they were having just around Christmas.

Not perfect coverage by any means, but okay for my needs.
  • actionmanactionman Member Posts: 15
    Just removed my used up Pilots from the '96 A6q. Had Vredestiens put on. So far so good. I had never heard of them, but they are supposed to be quite great in the snow and rain, even though I bought the all season variety. The Pilots had about 10,000 miles left on them, but were cupped. The Vred's are much much quieter and smoother. Stick is no problem. Apparently made in Holland. Anyone have any experience with these?
    I do not have the same problem -- and I have no clue where the beep comes from. It would seem that there would be a "trim potentiometer" (aka volume control) that could be adjusted by the dealer.

Sorry I couldn't be of help.
  • jasonsdadjasonsdad Member Posts: 5
    The only one they had to show me was just delivered off the truck and rather dusty, so I didn't get a real good feel for the color, other than it appears quite a bit lighter than the chip in the book. Any pictures of yours, Mark Cininatti?
    BTW, delivery end of June,(Wanted a 2001, dealer says no changes for 2002, face lift only for A4):
    A6 4.2
    Guidance
    Premium
    Sport
    Sorry Jason no pictures -- Nemo Blue has, in my opinion, a greater pearlescent effect (than Ming Blue) -- some like it, some don't. It can appear Navy Blue, It can appear "milky" Blue, it can under certain artificial lights (like in an underground prk garage) to be almost Purple. I bought it (ordered it -- waited 4+ months) virtually sight unseen -- I like it, but I will not get it again. I will most likely get either Silver or Pearl White -- and yes I know that Pearl White is $1,200 MSRP -- but it is beautiful with either a Grey or Ecru or Camel Interior. In Europe the Silver color exterior is mated with a striking Camel Color interior -- not avail here (for now at least).

No one at my dealership knows anything about a 2002 facelift -- they do know about an S6 Avant and a "completely new" A4 however.

Enjoy!
  • iniaudiiniaudi Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone. Just ordered my A6 2.7T / 6 Spd. in ming blue/melange leather w/Premium, Preferred, Cold Weather, Guidance, and Sport Packages. Also got the Bose upgrade and rear/side window shades. Dealer says it should be in around the end of May. They supposedly changed one on order to my specifications. We'll see. I was waivering between C320, BMW 530i, and the A6 2.7T/4.2. I think what really convinced me was the quickness of the 6spd in the rain. Also BMW or Mercedes would not budge from MSRP. I'm sure that those two will retain their value better, but I'm hoping I will like this car enough not to worry about that and keep it (4 years) until AUDI makes an even better car. I also checked out the S4 6 speed, interior too small for my needs, but what fun. Check out Audiworld.com for some modifications to use your Nokia phone wired in to the car's system.

Thanks to everyone's postings, the decision was easy one.
  • vkjvkj Member Posts: 67
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    My BMW dealer has one coming in on trade. I may trade my 97 7 series on it. It has the Sport/Premium/Guidance options. I am looking forward to seeing it. The downside is that the nearest dealership is 75 minutes away.

Is there anything to look out for on the car?
    Holy depreciation Batman!

This $55+K car -- unless an absolute Lemon or the survivor of a near total crash is being traded in this soon?

What could BMW have -- other than a 740 w/Sport (which would be just about $70K) that would even come close (there just can't be any M5's available -- I would presume)?

And, if you didn't like the A6 'cause it was too downscale for you -- how about an S8 -- sweeet!

Wow. I thought I went through cars (virtually always Audi's quickly).

Inquiring minds want to know the story on this one.

And, unless it has high milage for its age. Snatch this puppy up and put a new set of tires on it (if it needs them) and drive off into the sunset!

Seriously, I am keenly interested why someone would get rid of this car, so young, so tender, so rarin' to go?!?
    I optioned for the PST because I wanted the sport seats (support), sport suspension. Last night, the dealer pointed out to me that my ordered car is now coming in with 17" wheels with, I believe, 245/45 tires. I think all the A6 2.7T ordered now have these wheels (but don't quote me on that). The only drawback, is now the spare tire is a space saver unit, not a full size matching wheel/tire. This is great, because I wanted to get the 17" wheels anyway, but did not want to spend the extra $$$.

iniaudi
    You will like the 17" set up!
    on 3/17 and like it a lot. Be prepared for a delay in your order as my car was ordered at the end of October for December production, originally, but the PST delayed the order by 6 weeks or so. The 17 inch wheels have 225/45/17 Bridgstone Re40's. Your car may come with P6000's.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    The car is being traded on a new M5 that has been on order. It has mileage in the teens. I hope that I get to speak with the owner. I am reluctant to by a used car without speaking to the prior owner. It's priced at $45,000. Is that a good buy?
    Mileage in the teens, about $10,000 below sticker. Hmmm. Full maintenance and warranty for over 30,000 miles (take it to the Audi dealer if you want for a full "check up" -- fluids, alignment, pads, rotors, filters, lights wiperblades, A/C, electronics, etc -- again everything that needs maintained or fixed will be FOC) -- offer $42,000 for it, split the difference and "drive off into the sunset" with a very nice car. Go for it.

M5 -- now it makes sense.
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Hi, y'all. Just got back from the Audi dealer in my area. He said the new models (remodeled A6 for 2002 and totally redesigned A4) will be available in October, and they will start taking orders in July. To see the A4, go to the Audiworld website. To see the A6, check out Automobile magazine March issue. Enjoy your Audi's.
    It IS possible to change two sonic characteristics (and there are additional non-sonic traits that can be changed) of the A6 Parktronic system:

The sonic variables are Volume and Tone (pitch).

According to my service manager @ Northland Audi in Cincinnati @ 513-851-5900 (ask for Bill Fleihman) -- there is a computer input in the A6 that will allow Partronic to be changed. You hook up the Audi computer cable to the input that is built into the car and hit a four digit code and ta da a screen comes up that tells you what can be altered -- too loud, you say? Turn it down. Don't like the pitch? Change it up or down a bit (the range is not great, but it is noticable).

They think the tone actually comes through either the sound system or telephone speaker that is built in -- I was unable to confirm this, tho.

Hope this helps.
    I'll take your info to my crappy and unhelpful dealer and ask that they reconsider their answer that nothing can be done.

I really don't understand the attitude at these Audi dealerships. Well over $50K for a car, and they treat you like the enemy. They are so lucky that the cars are so awesome. If the BMW's were a little better I'd be there in a flash.

Finally received my map disc - it works great, I love it! I drove past a suggested turn because I knew that I wanted to go a slightly different way than it was suggesting. After a couple of tries to get me to make a u-turn, it calculated a new route based on the direction I was headed. Useful and fun!
    I just picked up my car (2001 A6 4.2 sport) after its 5,000 mile check up and I specifically went to a service technician regarding the Parktronic volume level -- and he said that it was a "5230 code" or something -- please don't quote me.

Even the technician was helpful and friendly -- and of course they washed my car, changed the oil, filter, rotated the tires, checked pressure and put a new set of wiper blades and checked all the fluid levels.

In other words they did everything they were supposed to do -- even though this was a very short service trip, they loaned me a 2001 2.7T for the two hours that the car was in the shop -- and they gave me a doughnut at 9AM from the "Friday delivery" -- heck they even let me pick first.

Now, get this, they asked how my wife was (she with the TT) and if everything -- was right with the world.

While I do consider taking a car in for service inconvienient -- these guys do make it a pleasure. I think Audi would love to hear from you -- there IS a customer advocate in Auburn, Hills MI -- she can be reached by US mail @:

Ms. Carol Glynn
    Audi Brand Loyalty Manager
    3800 Hamlin Road
    Auburn Hills, MI 48326

This person, Carol Glynn, sent my wife and me to St. Moritz in December 2000 as a "thank you" for being a long term loyal Audi of America customer; here's what she did for us -- sent us to Zurich, picked us up in a limo drove to St. Moritz, put us up in a 5 star hotel (Badrutt Palace), offered shuttle service to the ski slopes anytime we wanted (and free private lessons with an Olympic Silver Medallist and Utah hopeful), gave us front row seats for the women's downhill skiing contest -- in a carpeted, heated tent at the bottom of the mountain -- spending money, Audi clothing, a sleigh ride and Alpin greeting w/dinner, an Audi semi-formal Gala at the Badrutt Palace in St. Moritz -- a more or less personal concierge "from Iowa, no less" -- transportation back to Zurich and all meals, including drinks -- we (the 18 Americans, 2 Canadians, and 70 Europeans) were treated to the best of the best at all times. What a great four day trip -- they even allowed us to upgrade to First Class airfare (with our FF miles) on the transocianic flight.

We met many Audi owners and some non-Audi owners -- one man said, "I have purchased 30 vehicles from Ford, and they won't even buy me a damn beer!"

The other hospitality stories and events and gifts that Audi has bestowed on my wife and me since 1978 is beyond belief -- execpt IT IS TRUE -- Audi, unlike any other car company -- including, Porsche, BMW, Jaguar, any Japanese mfg, even Lexus, is so far ahead of the game of customer appreciation, that if they stopped today, the other car companies would take YEARS to catch up. This was the story we heard in St. Moritz time after time.

One guy had had both 50 mercedes and 50 Audi's in his car lifetime -- Mercedes doesn't even send him cookies when he buys a car, he complained -- Audi always sends us a tin of cookies -- we usually get one or two tins a year ('cause we buy one or two Audis every year.) Audi of America and our dealership has virtually mastered the art of appreciation.

So sorry your dealership doesn't treat you like Northland Audi -- I always tell my friends it is a two way street -- I want to be delighted as a Customer and I also treat the dealership with great respect in return. In fact @ Christmas, we send the dealership (both sales and service) the biggest fruit basket Harry and David sells along with a card thanking them for their great work.

It really does work both ways -- we vote with our dollars. If your dealer treats you like crap -- go elsewhere, "tell on them," or kill 'em with kindness -- whatever works. Become their best friend and, in my experience, they will reciprocate.

Good luck.
  • spridledogspridledog Member Posts: 63
    Regarding previous post #1022, just wanted to point out/clarify that the photographs on page 18 of the March issue of Automobile magazine are NOT of the 2002 A6. They are pictures of a different, sportier 4-door supposedly coming out in 2002. I have read about a face-lifted A6 coming this Summer/Fall, but nothing definite. If it is coming, Audi is trying to keep it "hush-hush", so as not to hinder current A6 sales. My local dealer played dumb when confronted about it, which isn't surprising, considering all the A6's on the lot!
    Does anyone know if Audi has wheel locks available? I am purchasing a A6(spd) 2.7t with the 17" sport pkg wheels and I would feel better knowing they were a little less inviting, not that any Audi owner would stoop to such a level. Also, does anyone know the typical resale value on a 1-2 year old Audi? Are the new Quattros holding their value better than in the past? Hopefully, I will enjoy this car for a long time and won't worry about the resale.
    I also read where Audi's next new thing (when?) is the CVT (constant variable trans). It is just around the corner (2-3 years). Any comments for or against. I can't imagine not being able to down shift.

My nickles worth. Thanks to all that respond.

iniaudi
    CVT is coming to US in 2001 on some 2002 Audis -- as far as I know, only on the relatively lower torque models -- for the A6 this means the 3.0V6, but not the turbo V6 or the V8. The system is apparently uncanny and can beat a stick shif in the areas of acceleration, smoothness and fuel economy! (but is it fun?)

I read an article that said a 44 pound lighter 6 speed Tiptronic was coming too, and that it could handle significantly more torque than the current 5 speed Tip. My best guess is that the 6 speed Tip will first be avail in an A8, then a top of the range A6, etc. The article boasted that a 6 speed Tip had "all the advantages of a manual and all the advantages of a CVT" -- in that it could endure high torque, was able to keep the engine in or near its sweet spot (of torque) without much drama and that almost like a CVT the 6 Speed Tip could provide smooth almost undetectable shifts (and apparently was an incredibly reliable technology).

I guess our shifting days are numbered. And, even though these new breeds of transmissions may be "better" -- accuracy, smoothness, performance, economy than the manuals -- will they be as much "fun?" My Tip in my V8 A6 is very nice -- but using the manumatic mode doesn't fool me -- I long for the shifting of my 1995 S6!
  • mauritiusmauritius Member Posts: 12
    Correct me if I am wrong: Isn't CVT available to front wheel drive model only?
    BTW, I test drove the S8 today and I think the A6 4.2 is great already. Its performance and handling beats the A6, w/ sports pkg, hands down.
    I have no knowlege that the CVT will be "limted" to front-trak Audis -- I read that the main issue was torque, not the number of driven wheels. I can't find the article, but I am almost positive I read a test report (in an European only magazine) of an Audi A4 quattro with CVT. And as usual, I could be wrong.

Yes the S8 will out do the A6 4.2 w/sport any day -- but perhaps the comparison isn't "fair."

The A6 -- no matter how sported up is not an "S" Audi, and unfortunately for those of us who want it to be thus (an S rival), an A6, at $20 - $30,000 less can't cut the mustard. The "best" A6's in the US -- today -- are the 2.7T and 4.2 w/the sport package (& 17" wheels -- on the 2.7T).

Now, the S6 is probably a horse of a different color. The main reason for my assumption that an S6 will be the (temporary) king of the Audi S cars -- when and if it comes to the US as a 2002 S6 Avant (only?) -- is that it is based on the newest technology that the Audi Sedans are presenting to the buying public, and the 8's, no matter in what form, are based on considerably older technology (first year 1994), even though it (the technology) and they (the A8's, A8 L's and S8's) have been continuously improved.

I drove the 8 and it is awesome -- and it was $81K. Somebody please let me win the lottery and I will probably go for one (even in current body style and technolgy). But, "somebody" (from Audi of America) please bring a maximum S6 (non-avant) to the US -- and I will once again trade in my young 2001 A6 4.2 w/sport and all the toys and (based on what I have read -- I do not have first hand experience) show the S8 my tailights. Especially if it has a 6spd manual or 6 spd Tiptronic.

Although the rumor mill says the real maximum (that mere mortals can afford) "S" variant will be the next generation S4 with 300 (non-blown) hp and the new body and chassis set up (with sporting extras, of course) of the 2002 A4.

So many to choose from, so little time, so little money.

Then, of course there is the new W12.

Audi Car Lust is so expensive -- especially for the impatient.

So, I'll suffer it out for a while I guess with the A6 4.2 w/sport (which @ a newly turned 5K miles on the odometer, seems like it has finally "broken - in").

Woe is me.

Just kidding.
    I'll post my 500 mile report later tonight. Am going out for a drive this afternoon, and to take a few new pics. I had the windows tinted yesterday and it looks really nice.

For now though, a question:
    My dealer did not give me any advice, and I haven't read the manual very thouroughly yet, so does anyone have any recommendations about what the A6 4.2 should have as a break-in period? This car is so wonderful to drive, but I'm holding back on the pedals (brakes as well as throttle) for fear of doing harm before everything has had a chance to get seated/broken-in. I'll pass 500 miles today.

Thanks!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Pardon the interruption - I want to explain the name change of this discussion.

Since we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have the requirement to stop and restart discussions after the numbers of posts exceed a certain limit. Since this discussion can continue as long as anyone has anything to say about the A6, there is no longer a need for the "Part Three" that has been included in the discussion name. Down the road, that could confuse our newer members so I have removed it.

I've altered the name slightly of the original A6 discussion in the Archives to differentiate it from this active one.

Please continue...

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • mauritiusmauritius Member Posts: 12
    Dear Imgotts, I think the main point here is not to use the cruise control until the car passes the 1000 miles mark. Try to drive it at different speed and use the "stick" more often. The engine willl break in more evenly. And, this may sound werid, my friend's volvo dealer ask my friend not to use those auto car wash during the break-in. He said the paint is too soft?? and need time to hardern. Mine is now 6000 miles and I am still hand washing it.

Good luck and welcome to the A6 family.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #1033:

Your friend's Volvos dealer is correct. Volvos switched to a water-based solvent for their paints several years ago. It's much better on the environment but it does take a little longer to cure. Once it cures it is no different than any other high-end paint but an owner has to be careful to not get those fine whirl marks in the paint (more accurately the clear coat) that automatic car washes can cause (for new or old paint). I never use automatic washes anymore unless I'm in a pinch and can find a touchless version.

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • tokeetokee Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 1995 Audi A6 and was wondering if anyone else owns it. I haven't seen too many of them on the road. I have never driven an Audi before and I don't know anything about them except that they had problems with their engine or some electrical problems or something sometime back. Does anyone know year and models with the problems and exactly what kind of problems? I know I should have researched before I bought it but I was in a jam and the car looked really good and well maintained. It's got 95k miles on it and I paid $9000 for it. Was this a good deal? The car's in really clean condition except that the instrument panel is kinda dim even with the knob turned all the way to the right. Also, the coolant temperature gauge and engine oil temperature gauge sits somewhere between the middle and the left of the dial ALLLL the time. It doesn't seem to change. I always drove Hondas and Acuras before and the gauges were always right in the middle of the dial when the car has been started for a while. Also, the transmission selector lever position display does not illuminate. It's just all dark. Would it cost me a lotta money to fix that? Maintenance was not often with Hondas and Acuras and those few maintenance that required repair usually didn't cost me too much. Anyway, I'm kinda uneasy about this purchase because I don't know these cars or anyone who's had Audi and I'm a little concerned about the high mileage on the car even though the seller assured me that Audis easily put 200k miles on the engine. Also, this is my first automatic transmission and it feels like the car hesitates and RPM jumps a bit abruptly at full throttle but I'm thinking maybe this is just a normal characteristic of this vehicle? Other than that, the car is very clean and well maintained. It looks beautiful in and out. I know I've written a long, tedious message but I'm desperate!!! I just need a peace of mind. I just dropped my lifetime savings on this thing. Please write back if anyone knows anything about my car. Thank you!!!
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Break-In
    There are so many moving parts in a new car that break-in is really important. Please try to keep the revs down for 1000-1500 miles at least. This will prevent any scarring of bearrings, etc; that will give you poor performance and gas mileage for the life of the car.

Washing -
    PLEASE do not take your car to a car wash if at all possible. The soap is so strong (to clean in one pass) it is guaranteed to strip your wax, and the brushes, strips, whatever, will rub the dirt from the previous dirty car into your nice paint, causing scrathes. If you wash your car every week, it goes fast and will save your paint. Be sure to use a car wash, such as Zip Wax or Westley's and not any type of household soap or detergent.
    My friend was the sales manager of my Audi dealership for several years -- and in that capacity "won" a trip to Germany as one of the top 25 Audi salespeople in the world. He told me the factory would "loan" 0 miles cars to salespeople with but one admonition -- try not to "slam" on the brakes for the first 200km or so.

He said he was told to drive it on the Autobahn right out of the factory parking lot -- and he was told, drive it as fast as the traffic circumstances allow.

He said that he did not personally recommend such disregard for a break-in period and suggested that I not run the RPMs over 2/3 of red-line for the first 600+ miles (minimum).

My wife's 2001 225HP TT just turned 14K miles and she says it really started to "open up" after 12K -- my 2001 A6 4.2 just turned 5K miles and besides feeling more potent, it seems to growl all the more pleasingly under heavy or full throttle.

I generally "side" with the break-in crowd, and do not plan to go 10,000 miles between oil changes -- even with semi or full-syn oil -- 5,000 miles between changes in plenty, even if I have to pay for every other oil change.

I have personally had more problems with Audi brakes requiring break-in than any other component -- if not treated right for the first 100 -200 miles the rotors seem prone to developeing a shudder and then requiring replacement (generally front only).
  • actionmanactionman Member Posts: 15
    Greetings. I recently went through the same situation. I purchased a 1996 A6 quattro with 125,000 miles. Make sure the timing belt has been changed - I think 90,000 is the time. I had one replaced at purchase because I couldn't live with the risk/expense of failure. Cost me 300.00, and later found the previous owner had replaced belt, h2o pump, bearing, etc at 90k. The most painful experience thus far has been the steering rack. Failed at arount 130k, cost $800 parts and labor - could have been up to $2,000 - ouch. New tires now, and I love it. Makes the Jaguar sit in the garage!

Your gear shift indicator light is probably burned out as is mine. Other bulbs might also be out. Apparently the gear light is actually the LCD, which will cost a bunch to replace and they are generally prone to fail when the dash is opened up. My heat guages start from rest (full left) and when fully warm are at 1/4 to 1/3 from left. BTW I paid $9,500 in December, books said $15-$17,400 considering the hi miles. Since then I have ponied up an additional 350 (timing belt) 800 (rack) and recently 500 for some really nice rim protectors.

Good luck,
    P
    The car is now 10 days old.

Defects:
    - Front passenger seatbelt height adjuster is jammed - I can't pop it back into place. Hopefully the dealer will be able to without taking apart the whole B-pillar.

Nitpicks:
    - The suspension has more float than I expected with the sport suspension. Maybe I'm not used to a 4000+ lb. car, and it is after all, a four-door sedan. Sometime I'll go test drive the competition and probably realize how nice it is.

- Will have the dealer reprogram the Parktronic beep(s) to a lower volume. Will also send them my hearing damage bill. :-) It's so loud I don't think I can wait 'till the 5K service.

- Assembly of front door pockets seems below par. Good materials etc., and the little doors stay shut, they just don't seem to align well when shut (the rear-most part of the rear pocket doesn't seem as flush as it could be).

- Will have the dealer reset the airbag light which came on as a result of having the windows tinted (the guy had to do some disassembly in the back...but did an EXCELLENT job).

Nitpicks I knew about in advance:
    - I sure wish I could have ordered a manual transmission with the 4.2. The TIP is okay, but just okay. It's hard to know exactly what it's going to do - with a manual, I KNOW. Perhaps I'm just not used to it yet. The whole package runs at amazingly low revs when just tooling around. I often see 1200-1300 rpm there. Also, why is the TIP offset to the passenger side of the car? I've accidentally bumped it back into the full auto side at least 4 or 5 times; it's just too easy to pull or bump toward you (the driver).

- Now that I've had time, I still don't like or think that the rear seating arrangement was a good choice on Audi's part. The center seating position should at least have a three-point belt.

Good Stuff:
    - V8. Smooth wonderful power - lots of each. I'm looking forward to getting out of the break-in period. I almost wish the exhaust were a little louder.

- Sport Package. While I do sense a little wallow and float, I cannot complain about the excellent control and very little body roll. Handles bumps mid-corner nicely and left-right-left type maneuvers are smooth. The 17" wheels and tires look great, and the Conti's are okay, but again, I look forward to pushing more as I get up to and past a reasonable break-in mileage.

- Interior. Fantastic design coupled with first rate materials and fit and finish. A wonderful place to be.

- Exterior. I'd have said that this car was a real visual sleeper before I took delivery. Now that I've been driving it, I can say that it gets so much attention that I'm a little embarrassed! People walking along actually stop to look at it. The fit and finish are perfect.

- Navigation package. Not just fun but useful too. It's amazing to me that it works so well.

- Problem free; no windshield distortion, no rattles or squeaks, no front license plate, no this-that-and-the-other-thing(s) at all.

Probably forgetting a bunch of stuff, but as it's most likely all good stuff, oh well. I am so happy that I made the choice of this car vs. the others I was considering (BMW, Mercedes). It's really an awesome machine.

For pics see:http://www.parallaxview.com

P.S. Go to www.audiworld.com in the A6 forum for some pics with the window tint.

Thanks for the responses re: break-in. I will never wash this car in a car wash. No excuse in San Francisco Bay Area to not get out there and hand-wash the car.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Those are the best pictures of the A6 I've ever seen! So clear with such great detail. Thanks.

M
    Agree with almost everything you say -- fortunately I have not had the minor fit and finish nits (seat belt height adjustment) that you have had (I am @ 5K miles.) I do not like my Pirelli P6000's, the Tiptronic is OK -- heck for all I know it is great -- but as you say, it isn't a manual and it seems to downshif in Tip mode somewhat reluctantly. The navigation system continues to impress me more all the time yet the Nav Plus would be "way cool."

My only real disagreement with your opinion is that I do like the rear seat -- but I look at the rear seat of the A6 4.2 as a 2 place; rear bucket seats. Personal preference.

Having had the non-sport suspension A6 4.2 (2000) w/17" wheels/tires I can attest that the sport package is a big improvement. Yet, I agree with you -- I was hoping for a bit more "sport." I guess that is what is on the S6. Frankly, I think the sport suspension and wheels and tires should be "standard" on this car -- the "comfort" suspension is way to floaty.

The light light power steering is good a speeds below 20 or 25, but does not stiffen up enough for the twisties for my tastes.

You know, I suspect we both wanted S6's and these A6's are meant to be the luxury sport offering, not the sport luxury version (drive a new S8 and you will see what the S guys can do.) A 6 spd manual would go a long way toward changing this perception for me -- especially since there is STILL no S6 sedan coming for sure for sure.

My understanding is that there is a sportier version of the suspension which lowers the ride another 10mm over the sport option, also I have read that there is a shorter final drive ratio (higher numerically) available and a different steering option that reduces the turns of the wheel lock to lock by about 25% -- finally, I believe there is a brake upgrade (Brembo?), cat back exhaust and spoilers to "sport up" your Executive A6 4.2.

But since much of this -- even the bits that are "factory" sanctioned -- costs fairly big bucks, it seems like it would be better just to get the real thing -- a genuine Audi S6 or S6+ -- except, they aren't available in North America.

None of the above is meant to imply or state regret -- I am very satisfied with the 2001 A6 4.2 w/sport package and the standard ESP -- the car performs virtually flawlessly and as a repeat buyer, I can say I plan to repeat again and again -- but hopefully next time with an S6 -- 24 months to go on the lease. C'mon Audi of America -- read the Market. Why an S8 @ $80K came to the US before an S6 is beyond me.
    We've got an A6 on order (will take 4mos to get!) and they've told us what our lease payment will be. It has worked out to be almost $100/mo. more than a BMW 530 loaded would cost. I don't understand this since the BMW is about $3,000 more than the Audi (after getting our best price from both). My husband now wants me to get the BMW. My heart is with the Audi. Can someone explain this? Any advice?
    Also, one problem I'm having with the Audi is color choice. Nothing really stands out to me. I think the silver is the nicest looking, but it only comes with a dark interior. I love the melange. Does anyone have the pearlescent white? One is coming available. I know it's a special order color. Any opinions would be appreciated.
    The opposite is true in Cincinnati -- a "loaded" 530 for 39 months was almost $150 / month more than a loaded A6 2.7T -- with sport everything -- the Audi had been discounted over $3,000 from MSRP and the 530 was discounted about $1,000 off MSRP. The Audi initial discount was the opening offer and the $1,000 off the Bimmer was the "final offer."

Go figure.

This information was from the second week of March 2001.

You Audi dealer or your MSRP or something is "out of wack."

Of course even if the price was IDENTICAL on the 530 and the 2.7T, when we drove both (both Automatics by the way), there was NO comparison, the Audi was much quicker and quieter and it was about $2K less sticker (then see above for true retail). The Audi was not quite $47K MSRP and the Bimmer was just about $49K.

The Audi did not have the Nav package, nor the factory Phone -- did have leather, etc.

Try again -- the Audi "should" be a better deal -- we already know it is (or should be) a better value.

Good luck!
    Pearl White is sooooo nice. I have had four of them. My wife had one -- now when the car is in an accident, it is a very expensive paint job -- but that fact did NOT affect the insurance premium. I love the silver, but you can't get it in the US with the Camel interior it comes with in Germany -- only dark colors or Vanilla -- which I had on a 1999 A6 -- after six months it was obviously dirty looking -- and I wear suits and don't smoke or eat in the car (and no kids).

Currently I have Nemo Blue -- it is OK, not great tho.
    Thanks so much for the feedback. It didn't make a lot of sense to me. The A6 2.7t final price was 44,000, $2,000 over invoice, retail $47,...
    We're in No. Calif. The BMW they would only take $500 off MSRP. Loaded, without nav. or phone, came to $47,000. A lease for 3 years, 15,000 mi., $5,000 down on BMW would be $757.02. The Audi, 2.7t 6-sp. loaded except nav. and phone, lease is for $877/mo.
    Do you think the Audi dealer just messed up? I was going to tell them we want the Audi if they could adjust their pricing somehow. My husband won't go for the difference in price, especially when he's leaning a little towards the BMW. Doesn't like the BMW "image" though. That's going in my favor (for the Audi).
    I'm glad to hear you really liked the pearl white. I think it's nice, a little on the yellow tone, though. But I think it may be the best choice out there for me, going with the melange interior. I sure appreciate the input!
    Leasing Information for Audi A6 2.7T model year 2001

MSRP: $46,900
    Sale Price: $44,000

Term: 36 months
    Down: $0 / $5,000

Milage: 15,000/year 15,000/year

Monthly: $681.23 / $528.09

===

Term: 39 months
    Down: $0 $5,000

Milage: 15,000/year 15,000/year

Monthly: $655.02 / $512.57

===== Source Audi of America Web Financial Calculator

With the discount on the Audi, plus the lack of discount on the Bimmer, plus your $5,000 down payment -- the Audi HAS to be less per month, apples and apples.

Hope this helps.
    you need to verify the money facotor on the lease. also 39 month leases with audi are a much better deal than 36 month leases. I just leased an a6 2.7t and my payment, before some adjustments was in the mid 600's. i'd be happy to help more
    I just leased an Audi, also in Northern California. If you'd like to e-mail me (larryg@parallaxview.com), I'd be happy to talk to you about my experience. I learned a lot by the time I drove off, and would approach the project differently if starting anew...

Best Regards.

P.S. What dealer?