Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    The Passat is based on the Audi A4 chassis. The A6 is a totally different vehicle sharing some components with both the A4 and Passat. Drive each for an hour and the many differences in handling, comfort and feel will be crystal clear. Kind of like comparing a Camry with a Lexus...they share many components too.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • lostwageslostwages Member Posts: 21
    I have never owned an Audi (currently a Volvo 960 and a BMW M Roadster) but I am considering an A6 2.8 Quattro ('97-'00). I would like any and all info. regarding the differences between these model years and the pros and cons to each year. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
  • bocajay0427bocajay0427 Member Posts: 1
    A question for all A6 owners, I just bought an A6 2.8 and love it, but one thing that I have found a little concerning is that it seems like there is a lot of wind noise in the cabin even with the windows up, is this common for the A6?
  • moimememoimeme Member Posts: 28
    It doesn't increase very much at higher speeds, though. It's a combination of the outside rear view mirrors, the shape of the car, plus the quietness of the engine/drivetrain.

I drove an STS for a while (Avis gave me a brand new rental with 14 miles on it...upgrade from a Geo Metro!). It was so quiet that the road noise and wind noise drove me nuts. A little bit of NVH (noise and vibration) can be a good thing.

Best thing to do is check that all your seals are intact (around the windows) and put on very low background music.
  • aerolusaerolus Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of buying a car, about 2-3 yr old. I have looked at Audi A6, Acura 3.2TLs and Infiniti I30.

The A6's I test drove have about 50K miles on them. I intend to keep this car for a long time and I put on 8o miles a day travelling to work and back. I have heard that Audi's are expensive to maintain - just curious to find out what this group thinks about that and also how well does it hold up with over 100K miles ?

Thanks
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    My 2.7T only has about 8500 miles, so I don't have any first-hand experience, but I've read a lot of posts by those who have. The A6 is likely to be durable, and last a long time. It's also expensive to maintain out of warranty. I had a '92 Legend and it was expensive too. No experience with Infinity.

I've read of new trannys for an A6 running toward $10K. That's not an expense I'd like to absorb. So, I'd investigate the price for buying a good long term maintenance warranty from a third party prior to deciding on the car.

IMHO, the A6 is in a different class from either the I30 or TL. It's a lot more car. They're compared because of price points.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Thanks for the information. I took a look at the A6 and I was impressed, very nice car, the only problem is that we looked at the A8 too, is a magnificent sedan. Time to do some seriuos thinking.
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    Can anyone tell me the difference between quattro and 4Matic. Any "real-world" superiority of one over the other.
  • lintorontolintoronto Member Posts: 8
    I presently own a 1995 legend which has a market value of about $18,000. I am considering an A6 but am somewhat torn between the merits of buying versus leasing. I drive only about 10,000 miles a year; however, I would really like to own a very comfortable and reliable car for highway driving mostly. I would welcome whatever feedback that Town Hall members wish to offer. Thanks in advance and good luck to all.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    I could be wrong, but I think they are the same, just different names. Mark may be able to shed more light on it, though.
    If you plan on keeping your car for four years or less, or use it mainly for business, leasing is probably a good idea. In that situation, it would work out best if you sold your Legend privatly, and then did a lease deal independently. Audi Financial is having some great lease deals on left over '01 A6's. (New model will be out in next couple months.) '02's will have some significant improvements, but won't come as cheap, or have the same lease deals. Your choice. IMHO, if you want to keep your car longer than about 4 years, you probably want to buy it. In this case, I would still sell the Legend privatly, and either invest the cash, or use it as a down payment if the dealer will allow that much cash. Remember to also explore third party financing in additon to Audi Financial. Credit Unions, if you have access to one, can be a good source of financing. If you plan on keeping your car beyond the warranty, you might wish to explore a third party extended warranty.

I had a '92 Legend, and have an '01 A6 2.7T. I also had a Lexus ES300. As good as the Legend was, the A6 is SO much more enjoyable to drive than either Japanese car. You didn't mention if you'd test driven an A6. IMO, the first step is to test drive EACH of the three A6 versions, 2.8, 2.7T & 4.2, and see if they give you a special feeling. (Keep in mind for '02, the 2.8 will become the 3.0 with about 10% more hp.) If so, which feels best? Because if they don't make you not want to stop driving, you might just want another Japanese car. Though of course, NO car will be better in the snow than an Audi with Quattro and ESP. IMO, A6's are reliable. But statistically, no makes surpass Lexus, Infinity and Acura for reliability. So unless you get something special from the A6, there are good model choices within each of those Japanese brands. If you do get a special feeling, I think you will find the trade-off between almost perfect reliability and driving pleasure to be well worth the sacrifice.
  • raprorapro Member Posts: 30
    I also considered possibly buying a 98 A6. This crazy thought was with me until I got an extended warranty quote from 'warrantygold.com'. The quote for a 3 year/36,000 miles for an A6 quattro with 60,000 miles on it was 3,800 USD. For a comparison a similar quote (3/36,000) for a 95 Infiniti Q45 with 60,000 miles was 1,200 USD and Q is a better car, it is a class up on the A6, bigger, faster, probably handles better too. These quotes are not based on thin air, but massive data the company collects from its business. The cost reflects the projected component failure costs for the car excluding regular maintenance over the period. It seems that the downgrade of the car by Consumer Reports was rather justified. A beautiful car though...
  • radpkradpk Member Posts: 3
    From my experience, the extended warranty price for the A6 seems about right. My '99 A6 has been in the shop about 25 separate times in the past 2.5 years. I really like the car, especially the gorgeous interior, but reliability has been pretty much bottom of the barrel stuff. I don't know what you folk's experience has been but my local service dept has been crappy at best. The free scheduled maintenance has been great for I think maintenance cost on Audis are above average for the class. Over $300 for a wheel alignment(had to point out the fact this was covered under Audi Advantage although they wouldn't believe me even after I showed it to them in the warranty booklet). Lovely car and a great value but perhaps the manufacturing execution and the dealership infrastructure are not quite up to snuff yet. I personally would not buy another Audi unless I lived near a dealership with a great service dept.
  • lintorontolintoronto Member Posts: 8
    Many thanks to Tim car, Rapro and Radpk for your comments re experience with and views on the A6. I have also heard from other sources that the Audio are lovely cars to drive but oftentimes quite unreliable and fairly expensive to maintain post warranty. I suppose it is a bit like the pretty woman..... nice to look at and embrace but can cause a lot of heartache.
  • r8754r8754 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 A6 4.2 without ESP. The early builds did not have ESP. Prior to the A6 I had a 328 with BOW's version of ESP. It kicked in twice in 27,000 miles when I started sliding in curves on a wet surface. I was amazed at how well it worked.

I have not done any sliding with the A6 yet. But, I feel it is better to have ESP than not have it. You can always turn it off.
  • allartallart Member Posts: 17
    An audi wins here though, because as soon as you trade her in, you are relieved from any future payments...
  • speed14speed14 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a 99 A6 2.8 with 20000 miles, can anyone tell me if the reliability of this vehicle will be good or bad. Should I buy 2001 Passat or 325Xi BMW instead? Thanks
  • jkendalljkendall Member Posts: 30
    MarkCincinnati, Ralph owes you a coke! I called him this afternoon and we made a few changes of interior color on one he has scheduled for August production. Took just a few
    minutes (almost forgot the cold package... I live in South Central Indiana). He sounds
    like a great guy, and I'm excited to get an early production date. Thanks for all your posts. I've
    spent days reading almost all the posts on this topic!

My last Audi was an '84 5000 which I kept two years and sold prior to the bruhaha of 60 minutes. It and the Jag XJ6 sedan were two of the best handling cars I've ever owned, besides the 911s (I'm too old and lazy for that anymore!). I drove a 2.8 A4 that belongs to a kid who was working for me six weeks ago, and just couldn't get it out of my mind!!

...Know anyone who would like an excellent '97 40th anniversary Land Cruiser??

jim
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Great, congrats -- what did you get?

A6 2.7T 2002 -- color, interior, transmission, sport package, wheels, etc etc etc???

Any clue on price or Audi Financial information??

Inquiring minds -- NEED to know.
  • lisamplslisampls Member Posts: 20
    After much consideration and research (looked at A4's, 330xi BMW, Acura TL, Lexus ES 300 as well as Acura MDX and Lexus RX 300), I decided on a 2.7T Quattro w/ Preferred Luxury, Premium, and Cold Weather Packages and Bose upgrade (Casablanca White w/ Tungsten Gray Advance Interior.)
    Couldn't go wrong with the end of the year financing on 2001's. The lease for this model is $499/mo and they waived the deposit and acquisition fees. I had to pay a bit more because I wanted 15,000/yr, so with that and the options, my lease is $580/mo. After comparing all the models above I found that with Audi's service/warranty plan, I will pretty much just be putting gas in the car for the next 39 months -everything else is covered!
    After coming out of a Honda Accord V6 Coupe, I now see what all the fuss is about with German cars!
    After only a few visits to the dealership, I am already seeing the truth to all the comments about great customer service as well.
    Mark, I got Amulet Red, I guess the same color of the TT now with heilbeige interior. I hope it's close to the Tornado red (Ralph said it's blood red... I didn't ask if it were oxygenated blood or venous blood!!). The interior, I hope is close to melange with the cabernet dash, etc, but I'll take what I can get. I got tip, premium package, preferred package, symphony (the new way to call am/fm/cd/tape). I didn't get Bose. I also got the sport pkg with 16" rims 'cause I just can't afford trips to dealers to get rims straightened, and South Central Indiana roads aren't great. I've had a 911 with a bent wheel, and it's difficult in the boondocks to get it fixed, plus, I would have a hard time doing without the toy in the meantime. I was very ambivalent about not getting the 17" wheels, and, I know it's a compromise, but later, if I just gotta have the 17" wheels, I can use the smaller ones for snow tires and/or swap them or something (it's funny how used wheels don't bring much!). Anyway, Ralph gave me what I believe to be an excellent price, and I'm pleased I'll be the first kid on my block with a new Audi. I called two dealers, one in Louisville, and one in Bloomington, IN, but they had to 'return' my call, so Ralph got the first chance, and I took it. I had shopped at Blue Grass in Louisville on 7/4, but they didn't think I was serious about buying a car and wanted to give me less than wholesale for my TLC, using the fact their SUV dealer was closed as an excuse for the lowball.

I did consider buying your 4.2, but the price was still high, I'm not crazy about green, I like the zip of the 2.7, and aluminum fenders make me nervous. Plus I wanted to be sure to get the newer, bigger brakes, ESP, and the other new things on the 01's and 02's.

I really appreciate your candor.

jim
    Mark, it'll be an August build, so I hope to get it by Thanksgiving.

The finance wasn't even discussed, but Blue Grass offered 2.9% for 36 months. I've always used credit unions before, but if I get a lower rate than CU's at Audi, I'll take it. Their money factor was .00077 on 7/4, so, my guess is they think most people lease, but I like the flexibility of owning. Of course the 2.9% was offset by the low trade-in allowance and nothing off the sticker price except maybe a $595 factory to dealer discount. NO deal.

I struggled thru the German site to see the color, and it's very hard to visualize the color, but I'll take what I can get. Took French 40 years ago and it's proved worthless!!

jk
  • judeolingerjudeolinger Member Posts: 2
    I've been looking at various "entry level" luxury cars for a few months (I-30, ES300, 3.2TL) and haven't found anything that really turns me on. I recently drove an E320 that made my head spin but it's out of my price range. Then a friend turned me on to a great $399 lease deal ($1500 down, 36 months) on an Audi A6 2.8 Quattro. Drove one today and thought it was an excellent car for the price (not quite the MB E320). I really like the looks of the car (both interior and exterior). I especially like the interior roominess.

My primary concern about an Audi is reliability (I drive a Honda Accord) even though it's covered under warranty the whole time under lease. The other concern I had was that it didn't seem very zippy for a V-6.

Any comments on the lease deal, the reliability, or the power?
    judeo,

If you stay on top of the rpms, the 2.8 will surprise you. I've driven an A4 2.8 and it was a blast to drive. The lease deal sounds good, 'cause for less than 16k you can live the Audi experience for three years, not having to worry about paying for anything, and those drivers who had no problems most likely didn't or won't post.

I had an Audi in '84 and the warranty work was exceptional. I think better than the folks at Porsche. Audi even replaces windshield wiper blades free! I've had a Honda Accord Special Edition, and while reliable, it did break. While you should go into any deal with your eyes wide open, get what you want.

jim
  • judeolingerjudeolinger Member Posts: 2
    jkendall,

I did notice that "staying on top of the RPMs" made a difference. Also, I had 4 adult passengers in the car on my test drive.

I didn't get into the warranty details but is it correct that Audi does all maintenance free while under warranty?

I really like the car and think I'll enjoy it more than the other Japanese models I was looking at.

Jude
    It has been years, but to the best of my knowledge, they change your oil and periodic service, and, of course, warranty work gratis for the life of the 4 year, 50k warranty. Others on this site have more current knowledge, but that's my understanding.

Of course, if you get ball point pen ink on the vanilla leather, they won't fix it free, but they do replace wiper blades, etc., which other manufacturers would say were wear items (you gotta buy your own tires, tho!!).
    jk
  • moimememoimeme Member Posts: 28
    ...and my A6 4.2 is fault-free, other than a problem or two introduced by the dealer during servicing. At first, I regretted my decision, but this car grows on you in leaps and bounds.

It was supposed to be my "weekend" car. Now, I can't imagine why I'd want to drive anything else...weekend, weekday, holiday, whatever. I make excuses to take the long way home.

All I can say to ANYONE who hasn't owned an A6 is "this is a MUST experience."

When I first got the car, I thought it was nothing too special, just an upscale weekend/special event car.

Now, I feel like I'm in the penalty box when I drive my other car, or one of my friends drives me around in their cars (some of which are WAY upscale). Take the long way home? I thought they were kidding, but YES! Raining outside? OH, #$%! I need to go for a DRIVE! Sunny outside? Aw man, I need to go for a DRIVE! Night time? I love to see that red glow...need to go for a #$&% DRIVE!

Have you ever seen an A6 glow and shimmer in the noon day sun? Or pulled into the gas station to hear someone say "Nice carrrrrrrrrr!" Or, double-tip-downshifted and blasted past an imaginary obstacle, exhilarated at the effortless power in your hands? Or taken a corner at an insane speed with just a chirp of the tires? Or felt relief from the Audi Lady guiding you to that distant appointment on time? Or been content to be stuck in traffic?

It's so hard to drive another car. Wud ain't wood. Don't forget you don't have Quattro or you might throw yourself off a hill. Don't count on Parktronic or you'll back into somebody. How primitive! Having to reach over to change the radio volume or CD track instead of using the steering wheel. The angle of the sun just changed...need to play with the A/C controls. Knowing that a lone airbag is there to protect you. Plus, Audi drivers look at you like you're crazy when you follow them around in a non-Audi.

Folks, it's not just a car; it's an experience. A Lexus is a really great car, but it doesn't have a "soul", if I can be so bold. The A6 impresses you with its personality in very unexpected ways. If the market were doing better, I'd have a TT roadster and an S8 parked out front.

For ANYONE who's on the fence about buying one of these things, do it. I can't speak well enough about the 4.2.
    Congratulations -- it sounds like you will have a great car -- I would have added the Nav pkg personally, but other than that -- sounds great. Amulet red is a knockout -- currently it is avail on the TT. I think the interior will be a little closer to "carmel" or ecru -- in that it will have a hint more "natural" color than the melange that I have (which BTW is a little hard to keep clean -- harder than the ecru on my 1997 A8 that is).

BTW -- all the evidence I have been able to uncover (including a call to Ralph) -- says that you do not have a choice on the wheels -- they are 17" ers. Ralph verified this when I brought it to his attention. Apparently, he did not have his detail fly sheet on the 2002 2.7T at the time he was talking with you.

Oh yes -- with all those goodies, I "might" have been tempted to go with the 6spd. manual transmission (and since I don't know what the differences are in the Bose, I might even have gone for that too). My 2001 4.2 has the tip and now after 10,000 miles on the odometer, I do like the tip a little better -- but they "loaned" me an A4 today with a 5spd manual (while my A6 is in for the 10,000 mile svc) and I do like the fun factor of the manual even at my "advanced" age (50). I can't wait for the 2003's to come out -- my wife is now 13 months into her 30 month lease and I am 8 months into my 30 month lease. She will be ordering a 2003 TT about this time next year. These Audis just keep getting better and better all the time.
    As some of you "old timers" to this forum know, I have had two A6 4.2's -- I liked the first one (a 2000) so much I traded it in on a 2001, with sport, nav, prem -- mainly for the ESP feature which was lacking on the 2000 (I had been to the Audi driving school in Seefeld, Austria and had become a believer in the technology).

I have had very few "issues" with my car (now at 10,000+ miles since December 2000):

#1 I hated the Pirelli P6000 tires that came with it, so much that about 3,000 miles ago I replaced them with Yokohama AVS db's in the same size as OE (255x40x17") -- this I would say is a personal preference but the car IMMEDIATELY became virtually road-noise free and I graduated from a summer only tire to an all-season Ultra High Performance tire, which in Cincinnati makes more sense (we have moderate winters, mostly sleet and some snow). Again, I would not fault Audi for this choice -- but I do think that when ordering a $56,000 car you should have the choice of tires (perhaps 4 or 5 choices would be sufficient).

#2 For all the ballyhoo about the NEW brakes, I still find myself "annoyed" by the apparent lack of durability of the rotors -- they were replaced (warped) about 3,000 miles ago (same time as the tires); now the dealer wants to replace the pads -- the brakes still have a hint of shimmy or shudder at speeds over 70mph. I admit to fast driving (mostly on "rural" interstates) but I deny hard or repeated braking -- I never get brake burning smell. Even Car and Driver and Autoweek caution about the brakes lack of fade resistance and the fact that they are warp prone. This problem is a ditto of my 2000 A6 4.2 (happily all covered by the Audi advantage, but still "annoying" for a car this expensive; and my wife's TT @ 18,000 miles has invulnerable brakes, or so it seems). This factor is not going to keep me from another Audi though -- no way!

#3 A/C - heating motor had to be replaced due to squealing at certain fan speeds -- I also do not consider this an issue, S*** happens and the Audi advantage to the rescue and coincidental with the 10K service, so I still give the car an overall "superior" rating -- no kidding, nothing even comes close to this experience.

Drive a 2.7T and/or a 4.2 -- and, while I do think they are different from each other in many ways, these cars are "cut from the same cloth" -- and a very fine cloth it is.
  • whgwhg Member Posts: 2
    It seems jkendall ordered a 2002 Audi A6. Do you or anyone else know what the differences are with the 2001 A6? Any idea of price? When will they be available here in the US? Is it worth the wait for the changes or just get a 2001? I've heard of some changes ie. brakes, front end weight reduced, 3.0 V6, 40% quieter. Does anyone know where you can find out the info. Thanks in advance for your help. This is the first Audi I'll be buying and my first posting here.
    whg, check on: http://www.audiworld.com/news/index.html for the info you seek, click on 2001 archives, then April-June and scroll down to April Audi News, A6 gets a face lift. I think it's worth the wait. Cars should be arriving at the end of this month, 'cause they started building them a couple or so months ago. Yes, bigger brakes, tiptronic on the steering wheel, among some cosmetic changes, such as being able to see the exhaust tips, etc. There's a six page article about them. I have no idea of price, except the dealer and I agreed on a number above his invoice which seemed reasonable to me (remember there's no holdback, so you can't expect below invoice, especially on a new one). I like quiet, so the thicker glass and the 2db reduction in road noise is valuable to me, especially since the most noticeable thing I had in my test drive was tire noise. My guess on price is that it'll be close to the inflation rate, altho I have no way of being sure. I just want it, and not having to dicker over price was a wonderful experience.

jk

Mark, actually that's great! I can't blame myself for not having ordered the 17s! I wanted them, but had a 'practical' brain f**t. Do you know what the size is? Surely they're not as big as on the 4.2 (255X40)?! If they are, I'll just have to watch to avoid pot holes, etc.
    Also, the tip is my choice. I had manuals on five 911s and I'm 62, plus my bride will be driving it as well, and altho she's comfortable with stick, the tip is an incredibly effective solution to the AT lack of control of engine speed.
    I have the world's most erratic schedule and wanted to call Ralph today to be sure he ordered the 6 disc changer. I'm hard of hearing, with two Siemens hearing aids, so, altho I am an audiophile (and Audiphile), the reports about the Bose perhaps not being worth it kept me from it. Ralph said the nav would have OnStar in a few months, so I'll just buy the bride a hand held gps 'til next time around.
    jk
    JK

Ralph, at Northland Audi in Cincinnati, told me the 2002 A6 2.7T has a great deal of the look of a 2001 A6 4.2 -- flared front fenders, below the grill spoiler/air intake, etc. Now this tells me that it would be possible for the tire size to be 255 x 40 x 17. But, based on past experience with Audi's, they will probably have a somewhat smaller tire -- perhaps a 225, maybe even as big as a 245 with the profile appropriately factored in (perhaps as low as 45, but I cannot imagine higher than 50).

As I said, I (at age 50, if that has any relevance) have always preferred manual transmissions -- my wife's 6spd manual TT is a blast, my 1995 S6 (also manual) was terrific! My 1997 A8 had a non-tip 5spd AT and, beats me why, I never took to it. My 1999, 2000 and 2001 A6's all have had 5spd Tip-AT's and just now I am starting to "not mind" and actually enjoy (a bit) the transmission -- and, having read about the upcoming 6spd tip (not the multitronic) that will be on the A8's (which means "coming soon" to the A6's), well (shhhh don't tell anyone) I can't wait.

I read that the 6spd tip, unlike the multitronic, still has perceptable shift points, weighs 44 pounds less (than the current 5spd tip) and can handle much greater torque (which means, in theory at least, the Audi's will have more powerful engines mated to this transmission). I read, about this transmission, that it will equal the quickness of the manual transmission, but gives up a small amount of economy (which apparently the multitronic does NOT do). The multitronic must have some torque limitations at present which may account for its lack of availability on any of the higher performance Audi's -- in fact, I do not believe it will be available on the US bound quattros at least at first.

Anyway, I completely understand and at least partially agree with you JK, the auto transmissions (esp the tip) are very good indeed. On the other hand, choice is nice too.

I am such an Audi "nut" that I would love to have a 2002, but I am determined to wait for the 2003's, especially since, at 10,000+ miles, I have my A6 4.2 just about the "way I like it."

I expect full reports on your 2002 on this forum.

And, the first 2002's will probably hit dealers within the next 45 days (according to my dealer). Audi has, in the past, delayed their new cars introductions -- my guess is that would be to help dealers clear out the 2001 inventory. Perhaps with sales of the 2001's as brisk as they have been, this will not be as much of a factor this year.
  • whgwhg Member Posts: 2
    jkendall, thanks you for the much appreciated info. I went to the site you suggested and found plenty of information. I think I'll wait for the 2002's. I'm looking forward to them. Thanks again.
  • tony107tony107 Member Posts: 15
    Hi, Can some one help me decide what to buy...I was thinking of 1996 audi a6 or volvo 850. My Dad for some reason does not like audi...although he had never even driven one before, does any one know which is better?
  • jackbaronejackbarone Member Posts: 6
    How much money down in the A6 Lease deal?
    Is it a quattro (the A6 that is)?
    I paid $2232 out of pocket, with them waiving the security deposit and acquisition fee, which saved me $1000. I thought that was very reasonable, considering it's a $46,000 car.
    I had to pay $1800 down for my '98 Honda Accord Coupe lease on a $25,000 car!
    This is my first Audi, and will likely not be my last with my impressions from my first 100 miles and from the unbelievable customer service from the dealership.
    My salesguy even called me the day after I brought my car home asking if I had any questions.
    The Tiptronic is great and the ride is smooth and very quiet. I cannot hear any wind noise whatsoever...whether I'm going 30 or 100, which is a big (and pleasant) change from my Honda Accord!
    I love the comfort of the seats (the lumbar is great!) and the stereo and heating/cooling is in a convenient location and easy to access.
    There is plenty of leg room in the back, and the trunk is surprisingly large.
    I am very happy with this car and love it more every time it get into it!
    I do have a question for some of you...what do you suggest to use to clean and maintain the leather? How often should I clean it? This is also my first car with leather, so I want to make sure I take care of it from the start.
    Thanks for all the great information on this board - it is so helpful to get "real life" experiences as opposed to just reading a review from some writer who has driven the car once.
    Thanks for your help!
    Lisa
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Lisa, most people (including me) who have used the Lexol products have had very good things to say about them. One bottle each of the cleaner and the conditioner should give you a good start and last quite a while if you follow the directions. If you apply it regularly and keep the leather clean it will look like new for many years to come. I'm sure other products out there do a good job as well - just make sure you don't use Armorall or any general household cleaners that can clog the pores of the leather - a clean, damp cloth is better than these or nothing at all.
    Another thing which is just common sense is to try and avoid parking your car in the hot summer sun as much as possible - this will cause fading and premature aging of any car's interior.
    I've ordered items including Lexol from autosupermart with good success - here's a link to there interior section if you want to check them out:
    autosupermart.com

Joel (in Mpls. too)

• radpkradpk Member Posts: 3
    Anyone here live in Fresco, CA? I'm moving there shortly and I'd like to know what their service kept is like. I believe there is only one Audio dealer in town. Any information would be appreciated.
  • rambo7rambo7 Member Posts: 4
    Just got an '01 A6 2.7T and love it. Waffled and went with the standard tires/wheels.

I'm not a street racer and like the "wolf -in-sheeps-clothing" aspect of the 2.7. Like the blend of perfomance and luxury especially. (But sure wish I'd gotten the sport seats-- lateral support stinks). Had been considering a Mustang, but this car blew me away.

Anybody want to give me their two cents on how lower profile tires and 17" wheels would affect the ride? Worth the cost?
  • tony107tony107 Member Posts: 15
    Im not really concerned about quattro. What i am concerned with is reliability.
  • kv007kv007 Member Posts: 30
    we have a 2000 2.7t with std 215/55R16s on it and a 2001 bmw 330xi with std 205/50R17s on it. The low profiles on my bimmer are a little skinnier than the audis' would be (i think) but for what its worth, the ride is definitely stiffer and the car picks up all kinds of little bumps and ruts in the road.

not sure if that's a worthwhile comparison --the bimmer definitely handles a bit better but that's more the car than the tires i think. actually, i think the audi's performance on the std tires is another good example of wolf in sheeps clothing character -- seems soft at first, but when you really push it around corners it never misses a beat.
    Glad you're enjoying your 2.7T. Many folks recommend Lexol highly, but I prefer the Zaino products, both cleaner and conditioner. I've got the vanilla leather in my 2.7T and clean and condition the seats about once a month. After 8900 miles, no dirt or noticable wear. URL for you:

http://www.zainobros.com/

I had a 1997 A8, purchased new with the 17" option. Tires were 225 x 55 x 17 Goodyear GSD.

At 18,000+ miles, the treadwear indicators started poking through -- at that exact moment in time no GSD tire (which other than the miles, I liked) was available.) New A8's started coming in with Goodyear LS tires (same size); they were about $100/each -- so I bought four of them. Mistake -- like riding on oatmeal. A couple of months later, I bought 4 Pirelli PZero Asymetrico's size 245 x 50 x 17" ($250 ea) -- the ride, road noise and handling IMPROVED.

Then I ordered an A6 4.2 with 17" wheels -- it came with 255 x 40 x 17" tires, I thought the car would be rough riding. Not so, again an improvement in ride, road noise and peroformance (this with Dunlop Sp 9000's.) Seventeen months later ordered another A6 4.2, this time with sport package (therefore it automatically came with the 255 x 40 x 17's). Car came in with Pirelli P6000's -- car had much more road noise and a stiffer ride (the sport suspension, perhaps?). At 8,000 miles the road noise, two flat tires (screws in the sidewall from a construction site) and tread wear indicators now "visible," I started my research for new tires. Ended up with Yokohama AVS db (decible) @ 255 x 40 x 17" ultra high performance all - season tires. Better ride, virtually no road noise and no degradation in performance.

The "mix" of suspension, tires, wheels (perhaps), even the seats is the key, IMO. The tires alone are significant but are NOT THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT factor -- I would go with the "big wheels & tires" -- on Audi's at least. And, I would stop growing my wheel size (say from 17 to 18's) if the tread width did not increase. For example, the plus size for my A6 4.2 is 255 x 35 x 18" -- I would not spend any money on this, as I would think that the lower profile tire with no increase in width would be just that much more likely to be a pot hole magnent -- and I use my car on everyday roads and highways, so what little benefit I would get from the lower profile would be offset by the increased risk and with no accompanying increase in foot print.
    Mark, I agree with you about plus sizing these fine cars, especially with large wheels already.
    I found out that the '02 2.7T sport package has 235x45x17" tires. I drove over to meet Ralph
    and saw the Amulet Red, which is OK, but a little darker than I like (but I'll try to suffer thru it!!).

I added the rear sunshade, but just didn't think I would appreciate the NAV in its' current configuration. Another thing I learned was that the rear parktronic which I would like to have is now in the premium package, separate from NAV. Heated seats are a separate option, and include rear as well as front.

I just hope the tires are a good choice, as I hate to drive something for several thousand miles while waiting for a 'good' one to come along.

I've never tried the Zaino's that timcar suggests, but what I read makes me believe their products are quite good.

jk
    The footprint of a tire is not affected by the width of the tire, but by the pressure. Take the weight of your car in pounds, devide by four, and then devide by the pressure in pounds per sq. inch. This will give you quite a good approximation of your footprint.
    What will change with wider tires, is the shape of the footprint. The wider the tire, the wider (and therefore shorter) the oval. A shorter oval means less bending of the sides of the tire, less contact time (ie. less heat gets generated) and more contact-free time (ie. more time to cool down).
    Mark, as you seem to be the resident Cinty expert (and Ralph Winter's secret sales weapon), I hope you can help me with this...

Do you think it is safe to park an Audi A6 on a downtown parkinglot (Pike & 3rd) during the day?