Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Remember I mentioned that my seat was from a '99 A6 -- the first year this was available.

Since writing the note, a friend who has an A4 with this interior but in a 2000 or 2001 says, some cleaning but no stains from leather -- so they might have "fixed" the staining problem.

I forgot to mention that the driver's side seat belt also caused a diagonal mark on the seat back near my left shoulder which became a shadow after the 4th or so month.

I forgot also to mention that I had purchased for an earlier Audi that I had had a set of custom made sheepskin covers. They were fantastic, comfortable -- but they did hide the leather.

And, expensive as they were, they had to go with the car (an Audi coupe quattro) when I traded the car in. So as much as I liked them, I have never repeated this route. I have looked at NON-custom sheepskin covers and they look tacky and frizz off on wool suits -- the custom ones had no bad habits.

I do believe that, as usual, I perhaps got the "beta test" vanilla seats -- now with timcar's words, I may consider them again -- funny I never see them "in stock" tho.
  • morphiemorphie Member Posts: 95
    Our 2002 A6 was one of the first in our area; the price was $2,000 off of msrp. This was considered a very aggressive price for a new vehicle. The 2001's are going for invoice.

I have not owned a "vanilla" interior. I find them attractive. However, both owners and my salesman have advised against it, unless you observe a very strict maintenance protocol. I have owned, like Mark, the melange. It wore well. We currently have two black leather interiors; needless to say, they are easy to care for.
  • tubeytubey Member Posts: 39
    Mark, I note that you say '99 was the first year for the vanilla interior. In fact, the first current generation A6 that I drove was a used '98 on the lot at the main BMW dealer here (Seattle)back in March of '99. It was Santorin Blue and definitely had the vanilla/royal blue interior. I remember thinking it was sharp, but showed dirt on the door inserts that was pretty easy to spot. Also, someone in my parking lot at work had a white '98 with the vanilla/royal blue interior.

I find the melange in my '99 easy to care for if I remember to do it. I use Meguiar's Medallion which is what my detailer recommends.
  • petenolepetenole Member Posts: 2
    I am looking into purchasing an '01 Audi A6 2.7T (this weekend), and am wondering if a new body style is coming out anytime soon. Anyone have any thoughts? I am actually between buying the A6 or the 2002 A4 3.0 (the A6 is a demo model that's going pretty cheap!) Any help you could give would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I bought my 2001 A6 2.7T in February. I made an offer and the dealer countered with a number that was exactly 4.5% over invoice. I was very happy with the deal and dealership.

For those of you who may still be "on the fence" - I am also completely satisifed with the car. I've found myself comparison shopping (again) on the highway - looking at the BMWs, Volvos, etc., that I looked at before I bought this car. No question I made the right decision.
    Sorry, I had thought the vanilla didn't become available until the '99 -- I did not have the vanilla /royal blue -- my exterior was emerald green pearl and the interior was black and vanilla -- the leather on the seats including the piping was all pure vanilla. I had asked my salesperson and he told me that the '99 was the first year to offer such a combination.

In any case, my point was in support of timcar's speculation (?) that the leather surface had changed beyond the '99 model year (perhaps the grain changed which would account for his experience --i.e., maybe the leather in subsequent years was less porous.)

My melange leather has very tiny pores and when I had it professionally cleaned, it returned to "showroom" quality -- and my wife's TT has finer leather still -- it is "almost like shoe leather" it is so smooth.

Anyone have their 2002 2.7T's or 4.2's or 3.0's yet? Any CVT transmissions? My dealer is still sitting with a few 2001's -- and a whole row of allroads and even a couple of A4's and S4's -- and as we have noted it seems that the 2002's are being held in port until the '01's are gone.

And, I noticed that for the first time in months (years I think) Audi's sales were down (in September -- obviously due to the Terrorist attacks).
    I find the comparison, and indecision, as regards the A4 and A6, to fall into the category of the proverbial "wealth of riches". I cannot perceive of one making an erroneous choice. However, perhaps you should concentrate on the stark differences between the two, the primary one being size, especially interior. If that is a significant factor, go with the A6. If not, the 2002 A4 is a marvellous vehicle, especially with the new 3.0.

I have owned only A6's; however, I have driven A4's. More to the point, my wife's new A6 Avant 3.0 is a transformed car, in light of the new engine. I can only surmise that the impact of the new V6, on the lighter A4, would be even more dramatic.

In fairness to the 2.7T: I have written previously that it has the aura of a small V8; It is simply one of the nicest engines I have either experienced or owned.
  • jg37jg37 Member Posts: 4
    Living in CT - one of the more expensive areas of the country (don't get me started), my deal may not be that great, but just this week I leased a 2001 A6 2.7T with the following terms.

The MSRP was $45,175 and the cap cost was $39,000. The money factor was .00175 or 4.2% APR (much worse than Volvo's 1.5% APR but comparable to BMW's 4.5% and much better than Lexus' 6.2% APR). The driveaway costs were about $2,000. Total monthly lease incl. taxes is just under $500.

Other key factors for me were the no cost service plan for the first 50K miles and that I was willing to look at cars with up to 1000 miles.

Hope this helps. I pick it up today and can't wait to drive it.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    A new A6 body style is expected in 2 years for the '04 models. As pointed out, interior size is a major determinant. My wife's '01 A4 is too cramped for me. I personally don't think I'd buy a demo, because of concerns over abuse.
    I am quite familiar with Connecticut cost of living; however, since this is an "Audi" message board, I will defer comments.

The deal on the 2.7t seems adequate. However, you did not mention the Audi loyalty program. Was that offered to you? If applicable, it would have paid for the first month's lease, up to $800, and reduced some up front costs.

Enjoy your A6.
  • wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    Concerning the comments about people buying a car with CVT, I was told that these would not be out for a couple of months yet. So my wife's decision now is the 3.0q or going with the 2.7T. I would probably go with the 3.0CVT if it was out now.
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    I need some much needed advice regarding which Audi to buy, a 2001 A6 2.7T or an A4 3.0.
    I have test driven the A6. Very nice for the relatively short test drive. The dealership is offering most of the A6 2.7T's on the lot for practically invoice.
    For about the same amount of money, I could get an A4 3.0. I plan to test drive it soon. Right now I must say that I like the looks of the new A4.
    Some previous comments that I have read regarding reliability issues with the A6 have me concerned. Have there been any significant problems with the 2001 models? Where the reliability issues primarily with pre 2001 models? Is it common for automatic transmissions to go out soon after 50,000 miles?
    I know that the A4 is new and may present with its own set of new model year problems, especially with the new engine.
    Any and all feedback is most appreciated.
  • doc66doc66 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 A6 Quattro "pre-wired" for a mobile phone. Has anyone had success adapting this system to a Motorola Star Tac or other non-Audi phone?
    Please check the Audiworld web site, there is a full article including pictures of an installation of a Nokia phone -- I used the cut and paste featre to get the following information after searching:

" - Phone Transmitter Kit; 1J0051438AH

- Speaker Kit (Bose); 000051437E

- Speaker Harness (Bose); 8D00514433

- Console Base For Phone; 4B1051601A1EJ

- Bumper Antenna; 000051506D

There's no part number assigned yet for the glass mount antenna."

There are several discussion threads that may prove helpful on this subject, check out the URL below and search for "Nokia Phone" -- or just Phone.

http://www.audiworld.com/search/index.html

• binyanbinyan Member Posts: 14
    My A4 with the CVT is already built, I got the vin # last week, so I feel a little confident saying that they are not months away. Heck my car should be here the middle to end of next month, so I'll let you know how it goes.
  • dre_jdre_j Member Posts: 15
    Hi I've got a local dealer down to $1500 over invoice on a 2001 A6 4.2 Nemo/Melange/sport/side rear airbags.

The problem is the dealer is $1000 more than I think is a great deal. Because of this, I'm thinking I should buy a 2002 A6 4.2 (color?)/Melange/sport/etc. and try to get 3 to 4% over invoice 3% is my magic number on a new purchase of the current model.

The fact that the 2001 A6 4.2 is a year old and sitting on the lot since June tells me that the dealer "could" sell the car at $500 over and free up some capital to increase his 2002 stock.

Any comments?

Dre
    Both the 2001 and an ordered 2002 would have the premium package.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    Any opinions out there on the latest Consumer Reports in which they say that the A6 engine and transmission "don't always work as a seamless team". Any experiences from owners that would justify this comment?
  • grogsuzgrogsuz Member Posts: 14
    After 11 years with Lexus including 2 LS400's,an SC300 and currently a GS400 on which the lease is about expire,I made the momentous decision to switch my allegiance to Audi.(BTW not my first,owned an 80 something 5000).
    Sight unseen,other than swatches,I will become the proud owner of a 2002 4.2 Crystal Blue metallic/Platinum in hopefully 3 weeks.I was lucky in that the car is on this side of the pond and was available to the dealer.
    Oddly,in the beginning I was ready to get a 2.7T,but after recent events,I thought what the heck,you only live once.Besides when you consider standard equipment and content the price differential is not that great.
  • peteri1peteri1 Member Posts: 21
    As I've posted elsewhere, my 99GS400 lease expires late winter. My leanings today are to an 02 A6 4.2 Crystal Blue/Platinum combo. If you don't mind my asking, how good are your terms? Did you think of any other vehicles?

I've seen the Crystal Blue in the showroom on a 3.0 model, very subtle color. Looks more silvery blue on the showroom floor. It should hide dirt well. Did you inquire at all about the A8's? I'm wondering how close they'd be in price since the A6's appear to be selling well and the A8's are not.
  • allartallart Member Posts: 17
    Here are links to my two postings on the AudiWorld forum about my new 2002 4.2...

First impressions:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/90399.phtml

First Pics:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/90658.phtml

Thanks, Markcincinnati for hooking me up with Ralph!

• allartallart Member Posts: 17
    Here are links to my two postings on the AudiWorld forum about my new 2002 4.2...

First impressions:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/90399.phtml

First Pics:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/90658.phtml

Thanks, Markcincinnati for hooking me up with Ralph!

• petenolepetenole Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the info! I went ahead and bought the '01 2.7T this weekend. It's a beautiful car. Brilliant black (going to get so dirty - but it's a labor of love), ebony leather interior, Bose, Premium package, the works! I'm hoping the new model doesn't come out as soon as '04, but if it does, I may have to check out the new ones and trade up, if necessary. What a great engine and car!!
    I read/heard that the NEW body style for the A6 -- as in "significantly" new was set for calendar 2003, which I guess could mean 2004 model year.

In fact my wallpaper is a (supposedly) 2003 A6 that I got of the www somewhere.

I read your post with interest, not that I don't believe you, but where did you get your 2004 info?

Thanks.
    morphie,

Thanks for the comments. The problem is I'm in an either/or situation. Either Audi financing 2.9% or Invoice'ish price. Dealers must be getting incentives to move the remaining 2001 stock. I'm guessing that is why the dealers are selling for invoice if you have "other" financing. The numbers are not in favor of the low invoice price compared to Audi of America 2.9% financing.

FYI:This is in regards to a Buy.
  • grogsuzgrogsuz Member Posts: 14
    Never really considered A8.Looked at BMW 5 series but dismissed from short list because 1)NO Quattro 2)less roomy 3)no bang for the buck compared to Audi and 4)design beginning to look dated versus sexy,organic shape of A6.
    Price-wise since this is a non-lease deal I'm at mid 51's out the door including luxury tax, PPX package and TTL.
    Hope your decision is as easy as mine was.
    Yes, 2004 model, due out in fall of '03. Gleaned from too many hours spent on AudiWorld. Seems to be the consensus of knowledgeable posters there, notably April, who is very knowledgeable re-Audi, etc. Said usually two years after mid-model revision, like the one just done. Also, 2003 Europe, is 2004 USA model year.
  • jkendalljkendall Member Posts: 30
    I picked it up this afternoon. I hope you got to see it, 'cause it was there for several days before I could get over there. Ralph has another customer who has ordered one, so I won't have the only one. Have only 120 miles on it now, having driven it home against the absolutely blinding evening sun, and on unfamiliar roads since it got dark, so still a little nervous about it.

Has Conti contact 2 tyres (and BOY, are they noisy!). Getting the AVS dBs on Wednesday.

jk
    Would you mind telling me what options you have on you 2002 A6 4.2?
  • nickjcnickjc Member Posts: 37
    Dre_j--deals can be had on the 2001 4.2. Check out my earlier posts in this thread. My dealer went immediately to $900 over invoice before negotiating. I ended up leasing my Nemo Blue 4.2, when all said and done, 39 months at $680/month, 15K miles, and only paid taxes and tags.

I love the dual pipes on the 2002s! Must be the infant in me...
  • gooddesigngooddesign Member Posts: 34
    I initially requested that my dealer find me a Vanilla/Navy model and he balked.

He said that "they" have had problems with that combo but wasn't specific. He also said that it was so rare that he would need a deposit so that he wouldn't get stuck with an un-sellable car if I backed out.

Needless to say, I shopped elsewhere although I could see his point. I had no luck finding that combo and settled happily for brilliant black w/ melange. I'm interested in hearing these stories though.

As for Consumer Reports, my transmission flows seamlessly but I don't drive Mercedes daily so maybe I'm just not refined enough to notice the writer's "issue"...
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Did they test a Quattro? I can't remember what they tested (I read the review), but remember reading here that the Quattro can sometimes "wind up" and cause what could be interpreted as a "lack of smoothness."

Just a thought.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    After you have the AVS db's mounted give us all a full report on your impressions of your new 2002 A6 2.7T and tell us all the STUFF you have on the car, the tires, the sound system, everything -- and tell us how you like it!
  • max27tmax27t Member Posts: 35
    Hello Mark,

In the off chance that you did not see this article, here is a link describing a buy-out of a lease below residual value.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/column/carmudgeon/47476/article.html

Isn't this what you call getting upside-down on a lease? I know you lease through Audi rather than a bank, but I found it interesting. It almost seems like cheating if you lease with the intent of sticking it to the bank - not that there aren't a few who deserve payback. How does AFS move all of those returned cars?

Greg
    It seems as though this site has a lot of people trying to get reinforcement for their purchasing decision, and if someone brings up a negative report, or tries to get information on potential problems, it's dismissed as "drivel". I want to hear what experiences owners have had. Are they satisfied, and what about the negative reliability reports? I'm a potential buyer, so instead of dismissing the reports, why don't all you owners and drivers give me your "subjective analysis" based on real world experiences, and be honest about it.
    Did anyone get a price on their 2001 A6 4.2 for less than 500 over invoice AND got the Audi of America 4.4%(60)/2.4%(48) financing?

Please report if you had one or both.

Thanks
    Dre
    I must take responsibility for the "drivel" comment; obviously, I wrote it. However, it was directed specifically at Consumer Reports. I stand by that assessment.

As regards criticisms of Audi's: this message board is chock full of significant and substantive commentary on specific problems. You need only read Mark's brake saga or my comments on incessant warning chimes to conclude that we are not evading reality.

Cars, for the enthusiast, are an emotional and subjective choice and experience. On the other hand, when one makes a practical selection, based upon necessity, objectivity rules. My firm leases a fair number of autos. Several years ago the decision to lease Chevy Lumina's was made. The cap cost for each vehicle was less than $18,000. They have proven to be safe, economical and reliable vehicles. However, they evoke the passion of a grapefruit. Conversely, they make our accountant tingle with pleasure. This is not a criticism of the Chevy; it may be of the accountant.

An Audi will not supply the sense of sobriety of a car intended to be an "appliance". Nor will it bore you. It is sort of like choosing a spouse: do you want thrilling interludes, interspersed with moments of frustration; or do you wish a steady, predictable routine, and the absence of controversy. Of course this analogy is suspect: the vehicle separation usually comes after 36 to 48 months.

If you have any specific questions on what frustrates or cheers Audi owners, you have but to ask. I have found the members of this message board to be both tolerant and candid. And nuts about their cars.
    With all respect, Dick, I don't recall anyone on this forum suggesting that reliability concerns are drivel. I understand your desire for information, but even if you got five people to tell you their cars were lemons, or five to say they were perfect, statistically, this size sample would still tell you nothing. CR attempts to quantify reliability, and though I have reservations about their methodology, if what they report makes you nervous, you might be unhappy with an A6. It's really a matter of priorities. My 01' 2.7T is neither perfect or a lemon, and I still love to drive it. Something I couldn't say about either of the two Japanese luxo cars I had prior to it.
  • blehrlichblehrlich Member Posts: 92
    Here's my numbers (off lease contract):
    Cap. cost $45,200 (sticker $52,200)
    Payments: $548.49 plus MA tax $27.40, total $575.91
    39 months
    10,000 miles per year
    Due at inception: lux tax $288, 1st payment, no cap cost red.
    residual at end of lease $28,188

I also added cd changer for $299.00

Dealer was Ira Audi, Danvers, MA

I hope this helps.
    I have checked this board backwards -- there are many instances of comments & critiques: bitches and moans. Likewise there are even more instances of comments & critques: compliments and "joy" (one of Audi's advertising themes).

One or many may dismiss Consumer Reports -- others may totally buy the Consumer Reports write ups and use them as a reason to or not to buy. Generally I find Consumer Reports reviews of cars have little to do with the "joy" of driving -- no matter what the make or model.

I have been forthcoming in my experiences with over 24 Audis -- virtually none of them has been perfect. All of them have been rewarding and exciting to drive. One or two of them has been a pain in the butt (my 1978 Audi 5000 and my 1979 Audi Silver Fox -- which I believe was called a GTI -- were both fraught with problems, too numerous to go into here). The dealer and the company (AoA) have always always always made things "right!"

The cars are a pleasure to drive. They are mechanical -- they have problems.

At this moment, I have not found anything that even comes close to them and I will continue to lease/own and drive them.

My wife is on her second TT and says "I can never drive another car."

The cars from Audi are not appliances -- I read a review of cars written by Jay Leno once, wherein he said that Lexus and Acura and Infinity are fine cars, but they are so perfect they are bland! That expresses my feelings to a T.
    Based on what you gave me I came up with the following....

Term (months) 39
    Residual (% of MSRP) 0.54
    Residual Value 28188
    Money Factor 0.00153
    APR (for info only) 0.03672
    Monthly Lease Charge 112.28
    Monthly Depreciation 436.21
    Base Monthly Payment 548.49
    Sales Tax 27.42
    Total Monthly Payment 575.91

Due at inception
    1st payment 575.91
    Down Pmt 0
    Security Deposit 0
    Title, Tags, Misc. 288
    Tax on Down Pmt 0
    Total 863.91

These numbers are very good. If memory serves me correctly, Audi was advertising 2.9% on a lease in August. The delta between the 2 money factors for total payments is only $991.38 using the same capital cost. It looks like you got a very good deal. I'm assuming MA tax is 5%.

Thanks
    Dre
  • blehrlichblehrlich Member Posts: 92
    Yes, this was in August, and tax is 5%.

I couldn't turn it down at this price.
    (I love the car, btw)
  • datadogdatadog Member Posts: 27
    Hi - new poster who has been reading the A4 board. After looking at this board it looks like many of you are facing the same dilemma that I am. I just posted this to the A4 board too.

I have a '98 A4 with the 2.8, 5-speed, and Quattro. It is one helluva fun car and a blast to drive. If it's not too deep, it goes in the snow better than my wife's Suburban.

I was excited about the new A4, and after reading here and elsewhere I had decided that the new 3.0 with the six-speed was the car for me. I was ready to order sight unseen.

I went to the dealer yesterday to get my oil changed and they had one A4 - a 3.0 with tip and 3.6 miles on it. I initially liked the looks of the front end, but the rest of the car looked chunky and angular - not the smooth flowing look I am accustomed to. I saw an '02 A6 next to it and really appreciated the nice lines, even the rear end which I used to hate. On the inside of the A4, it is also more angular, and the instrument cluster is much less appealing (too much digital mess, no oil temp gauge, and no analog clock). You can't raise the parking brake without bumping up the center console. The audio and heating/ac systems looked much improved however, and I like some of the new features. It is obvious that the Germans will never cater to our "Big Gulps" though, and after having spent some time driving in Europe I know why.

The test drive - the 3.0 is really powerful and they have tuned the engine and the exhaust so that you really know it's there. Still not enough low end torgue though. I thought the handling was kind of squirrely, but the salesman called back later in the day to say the car had not been prepped and the blocks were still in the suspension. No wonder it didn't feel right. The tiptronic was actually a lot more fun that I expected, especially because it had the steering wheel mounted shift buttons.

I then drove the A6 with the 3.0 and the tip. I know it has to be heavier, but it didn't seem much slower. I really liked the extra room after having driven an A4 for four years, and the interior is gorgeous. It also obviously costs more money.

Questions:
    1. Have any of you die-hard manual tranny loyalists bought a tip and been satisfied?
    2. Would you spend more money on an A6 now when they are going to change it next year and likely add some new technology?
    3. The A4 was silver, showing all of the body panel lines and angles. Have any of you seen a dark color, and does that "wash away" a lot of that?
    4. Is the A6 just too refined compared to the A4?
    5. I'm concerned about the comments regarding the 6-speed tranny in the A4 (Post #2090). Has anyone else driven one?

I think all of the Audis are great, but I wasn't as impressed with the new A4 from the appearance and interior standpoint. If I could justify the extra money, maybe the 2.7T in an A6 with the sport suspension is the answer.

Any input would be appreciated. Just when I thought I had made up my mind, more choices. All good ones though.
    If I had a choice, I would get a manual with the V8 in an A6 -- not offered.

I love my V8 and virtually everything about my A6 -- my wife had 2 A4 2.8 quattros both with stick. I had an S6 with a 5 spd manual -- man I miss that car.

But, the V8 and the 2.7T engines seem to do just fine with the tip -- I confess to not having driven a new A6, but I have driven a new A4 (with stick) and I like it -- makes me long for the S4 coming soon.

So, having said this, I would NOT feel that I had something "less" with a tip than with a manual. I just happen to like the manual better -- but obviously not enough better to make me not get an A6 with that wonderful V8 (and based on your comments the 3.0 V6 is pretty spanky too).

That's my $.02 worth.
    If you want/need more room than the A4, and can manage a 2.7T with sport, it's worth the money. I've got an '01 2.7T with the non-sport suspension. The A4 has been too cramped for me, as are the sport seats that have come with the sport suspension in the A6, and therefore mine has the standard suspension. I prefer an auto, but if you want, I think you can still get a 2.7T with a 6-speed.

A standard seat with the sport suspension would have been my preference. While the car is fun and competent even with the standard suspension, it's a little floaty at higher speeds with stock 16" wheels and stock all-season tires. Word is that just more aggressive tires make a difference, larger wheels, more so. There's also plenty of modifications that can be done to the non-sport suspension. But if the sport seats are comfortable for you, no reason not to get the sport package.

Rumor has had it that the A6 standard suspension was replaced for '02 with the sport suspension from earlier years, and the new sport suspension is even firmer. I have no idea if this is factual.

Word is the current A6 will be replaced in two years, not one. If you like it, don't mind a little larger car, and find it more comfortable, why not?
    TIMCAR. Why do you have reservations about Consumer Report's methodology? Do you have some information about their testing that is flawed, or is it because you don't agree with their conclusions?
    I also have a few observations on your impending choice. First, both Mark and Tim have rendered good advice. I have no ownership experience with the 4.2. My familiarity is limited to the A6 2.8 and the 2.7T. The 1999 A6 was an Avant; it has been replaced with a 2002 A6 3.0. The difference is striking. While I expected the increase in horsepower and torque to be noticeable, in reality it is quite dramatic. I have previously written that the 3.0 is a performance oriented "6", the 2.7T has the nature of a small V8 and the 4.2, which I have only driven a few times, is a genuine performance V8, much in the nature of the Chevy small blocks of old, but more sophisticated. After driving the new Avant, when my wife lets me, I can conceive of someone purchasing it over the 2.7T or 4.2, because of its characteristics. This would not have been true of the 2.8.

As to the age old "manual" question: The tiptronic is quite nice; it is a fun substitute for the auto modes (normal and sport for 2002); however, as a former BMW and Alfa driver, there is no substitute for a four, five or whatever speed, if it is in your blood. That having been said, given the type of driving I do these days (rush hour mixed with aggressive driver commandos), I find the auto a pleasant companion. I must be getting old. On the other hand, Sterling Moss always believed that one is foolish to drive a manual, on the street, when an automatic is available. Of course, none of us had his track time (or skill).

The A4 is not as attractive, in 2002, as its previous incarnation. I have no idea why Audi so drastically modified the styling. It is clearly A6 derivative and uninspiring Further, since you have owned an A4, you do not require commentary on interior space, or lack thereof.

In essence, I suggest that if you genuinely desire a manual, get it. If you like the idea of an automatic, with tiptronic, you will not be disappointed. Finally, the 3.0 is a serious performer, worthy of taking its place with two other stellar engines, the 2.7T and the 4.2.
  • mike_e_smithmike_e_smith Member Posts: 20
    With regard to Consumer Reports, I first began giving serious consideration to the Audi A6 based on CR's glowing reviews. The A6 was rated the best choice in its category a couple of years ago. (At least for one year, possibly two) The following year, they still rated it as top car in its category, but didn't recommend it because it had below average reported reliability. This was based on fairly minor things like the fuel sensor issue. In any case, things change from year to year. This includes both the competition and reliability problems. In general, people who lease don't have as much to lose on the reliability front although some people have been inconvenienced more than they would like. Read what CR says about some of the American cars. They seem to be quite accurate in reporting on their problems. Anyway, I think Consumer Reports provides good information in a number of categories. This can be compared with all of the other sources of information to make a final decision balancing individual preferences. I want more information, not less. Unfortunately, I don't always like what I hear or read since every car involves trade-offs, but I try to keep an open mind. Overall, I like Audis, but I like Consumer Reports as well. Just my two cents. By the way, my first two cars were a Firebird and a TransAm. My next car was a Toyota Celica. I can attest that Consumer Reports had the reliability ratings right for those cars.
    My only problem with consumer reports is that they often talk about only the measurable aspects of whatever it is they are testing.

And, I do believe there is a place for measurable qualities, etc.

But driving is subjective -- Audi has never been very good in its marketing campaigns in my opinion, but their Joy campaign seems to hit the mark. Consumer Reports doesn't speak much to the heart but a lot to the head.

I would not totally disregard Consumer Reports data, but I would hardly ever imagine myself able to buy or not buy a car based on their "data."

Sure, I want a reliable car -- and if the reliability factor gets too low, well I would probably not buy a car because of it -- but a totally reliable car that gave no "driving pleasure" would not be my cup of Tea!
  • datadogdatadog Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning at present towards the A6, but as my wife will attest that will likely change tomorrow.

Morphie you are right about the 3.0. I was hesitant to heap praise on it after having only driven it for a few miles with a transmission I am unfamiliar with. But it is a dramatic improvement over the 2.8. I have been mostly satisified with the 2.8 in my A4, but the A6 was never a consideration with that engine. But the 3.0 really is impressive. I wish they offered the A6 with a 3.0 and six-speed, as they do in the A4.

I need to spend a little more time with the tip. I live in the mountains and the nearest stoplight is over 50 miles away. Lots and lots of twisties and no traffic. In other words, the ideal environment for a manual. I rarely feel the need to be relieved by an automatic unless I am in a city, and as infrequent as that occurs it really doesn't rate much consideration.

I'm also glad that someone feels the same way I do about the styling of the new A4. The A6 looked really nice next to it.

Tim you're right about the new model being an '04 (sorry, I should have read more prior posts). That pretty much negates my concerns about driving an outdated model in only one year. I usually trade every three anwyay, but wasn't ready to give up the A4 last year. Yes, you can get the 2.7 with a six speed, and I just need to sit in the sport seats to see how they fit.

Mark - I'm sure you miss the S6. I have had notions of putting aside all of this deliberation and getting a good deal on an '01 S4. I would have so much fun I don't think I would care if it is last years style or smaller. BTW, was the A4 that you drove a 3.0 with a six-speed or the 1.8? What do you think of the exterior, and what color was it?

What I really need to do is spend a little more time driving these cars. The problem is the nearest dealer is almost two hours away. Oh well, that's the price you pay for living in the sticks.