Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• tubeytubey Member Posts: 39
    Thanks, Steve, for stating it so well. Quite frankly, between this forum and Audiworld I was almost starting to get a complex because I bought a (horrors!!!) 2.8.

And yes, the reason I did buy it was because I wanted a luxury car. Hell, if I wanted a hotrod I would have hung onto my SHO (aka Old Nickel And Dimer).

The 2.8 goes fast enough (particularly at freeway speeds) to get me a ticket in just about any state in the nation. And, based upon all the 2.7T problems I read about on Audiworld, I'm pretty smug SO FAR with only a coolant temp sensor that's failed. And still no squeaks or rattles to complain about.

Indeed, it's a luxury car first. And it fills that role very well. I am, however, dispappointed to read elsewhere that the 2.7T and 4.2 have caused the 2.8 to depreciate abnormally. Good thing I plan to keep it - or at least until the extended warranty runs out in seven years. By that time I'll hopefully be long retired; and, even if it becomes pricey to maintain, it will still be cheaper than a new car.
  • bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    You may be correct about that. But take this to heart:

I keep track (unoffically) of the number of A6's that appear at my company. Because I'm trying to gauge how well the car is selling. Our company has done well over the last two years, so many people are treating themselves to a fancy car.

There were no A6's in Oct '99 when I ordered my A6 (not a factory order), there was one 2.8 when I received my car in late Nov '99. Now, 9 months later, there are 3 new 2.8's. Up until this week, I had seen no new 2.7T's. Finally, I saw one this week.

So even though the 2.7T may get the press and bring people into the dealer, it appears the 2.8 is still selling very well. Perhaps your resale isn't dashed as badly as you thought?

On the other hand, I went to LA (West Hollywood) a couple weeks ago, and 2.7T's were EVERYWHERE. You could barely find a place where you couldn't see at least one.
  • merwaniranimerwanirani Member Posts: 8
    Well folks I'm still looking for the A6 2.8 I mentioned a few weeks ago - w/Tiptronic. I like your reasonings for owning the A6 2.8. I drove it and it seemed plenty fast for me. I also tried out the new C-Class 320. It is a beautiful car but smaller than the A6. I will have to special order my A6 since I want the memory seats, steering controls and Zenon lights. These come with the Premium Package only. Then Leather is a separate item. I have shopped for a good price and the best I can do is $1000 over invoice (Rushnak MB/Porsche/Audi Motors in Pasedena, Ca and Pacific Coast Porsch/Audi/VW in Hermosa Beach). Both say that it will take about 3-4 months for the receipt of the special order. Anyone out there know of a better deal anywhere in CA (No. or So.)!
    We are going for the Ming Blue with the Melange Interior.
    Merwan.
    Take it. Audi has no holdbacks or incentives, so the dealer really is getting down to their last bit of profit. Delivery time is also unfortunately correct. Dealers have to wait for one of their slots to open, and then Audi takes forever to make the car, then it takes almost a month in transit.

Ask your dealer to try to arrange a dealer-to-dealer transfer of a car matching your description. Auto brokers do this and make a living at it, surely your dealer can do it. (Note I am not recommending you use an auto broker) When I bought my car, my dealer pulled out his order sheet (cars he had already ordered and their scheduled delivery dates), and other nearby dealer's order sheets/stock lists. If he found my car on another dealers order sheet, he would have traded a car to them to get it. As it happened, I bought my car off my dealer's order sheet. I paid close to $3K over invoice.
  • kvnjmplkvnjmpl Member Posts: 1
    I own a '00'00 A6 2.8 Q. Has anyone heard whether these issues have been solved:

-Windshield - Slight Distortions (I'm waiting for my third replacement)
    -Fuel Gauge - Replaced with new system re: recall. Filled tank the other day and Gas Icon came up and said I was out of fuel, though tank was full
    - Radio - drifting radio station and bass. Any news on when problematic radios are being updated with new ones
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    but we still have a regional problem with resale value of Audi's here in Arizona.

I am also a big fan of the A6, even the 2.8 FWD version! That's our '99 model we bought 13 months ago, but we're selling it (or trading it in) due to the unexpected needs of our growing family. The car has been extremely reliable for us. My only gripe is that we averaged only about 21mpg. I'm advertising it below $30K, with leather, CD changer, and convenience package. I'm specifically mentioning it is only 13 months old. But I can't get anyone to take a look at it to see how great it is!! I know the story would be completely different if it was a BMW.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's review of the 2000 Audi A6 4.2 is now available. Here's the direct link: Road Test: 2000 Audi A6 4.2, by Miles Cook. What do you think?

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
    Thanks for both your words of wisdom, encouragement and advice about the A6 2.8. I will call Diablo Audi and see if Ernst has the car I want. I hear this thing about depreciation and resale value. Yes the MB will have a better resale value after three years but I generally keep my vehicles for 9 - 10 years but usually low mileage. Unless something untowards happens to me or the car this A6 will be with us into our retirement.
    I am tempted to look at the 2.7T but I'm not very happy with the reports on its gas mileage. I have always been wary of Turbos, because you do have to pay through the nose if anything goes wrong. I think the power is OK with the straight laced 2.8, more than we see with our current Mazda 929S (190 ponies)!
    Thanks again for everthing. I will keep you all posted as to how I am doing.
    Merwan Irani
    Although I can understand shying away from turbos, the 4.2 gets worse gas mileage than the 2.7T (ask the A6 forum on Audiworld), so you aren't doing yourself any favors there getting the 4.2.
  • andys3andys3 Member Posts: 20
    An earlier poster (either here or at Audiworld, I don't remember) suggested that the skipping radio stations on startup may be related to the A/C compressor drawing power or something. It's gotten cooler here on the east coast and I turned my AC off. Radio has skipped once or twice since then. Still a very intermittent problem. Just thought I'd add this data point.
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    I too used to avoid turbo's (in my unwise youth, I had a Turbo Corvair that ate cylinder heads!). But, my son commutes 100 mi/day in an '84 M/B 300D Turbo with 320,000 miles on it. And the Audi turbos have 15 year newer echnology...water-cooled bearings, etc. After driving a 2.7T rocket sled I just gotta have one.
  • jadbowjadbow Member Posts: 4
    I'm having a tough time deciding between the A-6 2.8 and the Saab 9-5 SE. Both seem like great cars. The A-6 seems slightly more luxurious, better warranty, and maybe better resale. The Saab appears to have better reliability, a sportier feel, and may be safer. Any thoughts on the Saab versus Audi?
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    I drove 2 80's Audi 5000's to 130K miles each with few problems and the original turbos. The '87 was water cooled.

Just use a little common sense - let the turbos warm up before getting on it, and drive mildly for the last mile or so before stopping to let them cool down. Turbos spin at 100,000 rpm or more - give 'em a break, and they will last as long as the rest of the car. Meanwhile they provide almost a free, huge power increase.
    Just thought I'd update you all. I am looking for an A6 not a 4.2. Thats why I was concerned about the 2.7T gas mileage in comparison to the A6.
    I also did contact Ernst at Diablo Audi in Concorde. You were right - they do have a 2.8 with almost all my wants but it is a Quattro. I realise it is a great option to have but I don't think I really need it in So. Cal. I understand it is a little slower than the FWD 2.8. Of course the price is higher and Ernst wants 2K over invoice! I'm tempted. I think I will drive a Quattro this week end and see the difference.
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Merwan Irani
  • cropper1cropper1 Member Posts: 3
    Read the Car & Driver top 10 from Jan/Feb 2000. Would you get the quattro?? This is a big plus for the Audi. My 2.7T has 11,000 perfect miles under its belt, the build quality and attention to details of the Audi are second to none.
  • buckles15buckles15 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I am currently 'borrowing' a 1998 A6 2.8 with Quattro and every option except ESP with roughly 16500 miles. The car seems very nice.

My only questions are, what problems have arisen in the first few years of ownership? Also, how can you tell if it has ESP (button?)? Finally, would you suggest getting this for about $34,000 or getting the 3.2TL, I30t, or IS300? E-mail me at Mango15DP@aol.com. Thanks.
    So you can be sure it doesn't have it. Didn't get ESP on the US until 2001.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    According to Edmund's, a fully-optioned 1998 A6Q with 16000 miles tops out at $27865.

For another $2000-3000 (over the $34000 for the 1998) you can get a brand new 2001.
  • frankcusfafrankcusfa Member Posts: 4
    Mmmm! let me see! Quattro vs front-wheel drive; AUDI has higher resale value, is more luxurious, better build quality, latest technology for turbo power, drive train, suspension & steering (how long can SAAB continue with that 4 cylinder engine?)and German engineering vs General Motors (the most incompetent of all carmakers) influence. Seems like a no-brainer to me!
    Does anyone know what the going price is for a 2001 A-6 2.8 in the San Diego area? On this earlier string there was a report of $1000 over invoice up in L.A. I don't think anyone will come down that low in San Diego or at least that is what I'm able to read between the lines.
  • portedported Member Posts: 16
    My $.02...

Quattro typically is very good for resale values, about 80% here in Chicago (yes it snows) are sold with Quattro.

Also, Quattro is much safer in the rain, if that is a factor.

$2K over invoice is a little steep, though.
    Just got a 2001 A6 2.7T for about $1800 over invoice. Thought it might be helpful to pass on a few things I learned:

1. Go well prepared. Don't be shy about using notes, a laptop, or whatever to help you keep track of MSRP and invoice figures while you're negotiating. Don't let 'em rush you.

2. Check out the dealers inventory before you get to the serious negotiations. Know what he has available and how its priced.

3. Seems that 99% of the A6's imported into the US have big $$ options, then the dealer adds his own; coating, window tinting etc.. If possible, work your deal as a factory order so your buying only what you REALLY want...rather than the closest car on the lot which may have several thousand $$ in options you don't really want. This might mean waiting three months for delivery but it can save you BIG bucks.

4. Know what the other local dealers have available too. Don't fall for "...but this is the last 2.7T in your color in three states". Make sure your salesman knows you have other real options.

5. Wait til the end of the month when the sales quota pressure is on. Better yet, go at the end of the quarter.
  • jfb7jfb7 Member Posts: 11
    Hi, Audi lovers!

I am in the market for an upscale luxury car that is also reliable and sure-footed on the road. I have been looking at several new models, IE Millenia S and VW Passat GLX, but am also considering a late model A6 with low mileage. I was thinking about a '97 or '98 Quattro. Even though they look so completely different from one another, I find both body styles beautiful. Having said that, I would love to find a silver '98! Anyway, I was wondering what experiences you have had with either model, both good or bad! Edmund's kinda slammed the '97 as being underpowered w/ only 172 hp, a problem they corrected w/ the new model. Is it really that bad? Lastly, I can't seem to find any '98 A6's for sale - has anyone bought one recently who can tell me what price is fair ( I live in NYC area)? Thanks for any info you can share! - John
  • tubeytubey Member Posts: 39
    John, the press were still bitching about "underpowered" with the '98's as well. I have a '99 and it's not exactly the scorcher that my SHO was, but it moves out smartly above 40mph. You've got to realize that a 2.8 liter engine has got a lot to do pulling around almost two tons of car, particularly when equal driving force is going to all four wheels.

That said, I would check any '98's that you do find over well, particularly the service records. Automobile Magazine did a long term test that yielded considerable electrical gremlins that almost put me off. Fortunately I wrote it off in my mind as first year of a new model, which must have been the truth. My '99 has been 99.5% perfection in every regard. I've had a coolant temp sensor replaced two months ago, but otherwise it's been a trouble-free 12,000 miles and 14 months.

If you find any '98's, it's worth your $20 to invest in 60-day access to Carfax.com. That way you can check out the vehicle history via the VIN. I did it when I was looking and ran across several lemon law buyback vehicles. Ultimately I ended up leasing new near the end of the model year. At the time I was looking though there were a reasonable amount of '98's out there, many of them program cars from AoA. And, of course, the lemons noted above.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and the brand is now starting to reestablish itself strongly in these parts. During Audi's years in the shadowland most folks around here (me included) went Subaru. I always told myself that until the Audi reliability thing turned around I would continue to drive my "Poor Man's Audi", which I still do. But now it shares the garage with my lovely '99 A6Q. If the Audi is even half as troublefree at 52k miles as my Sub' has been, then Audi has indeed got their act together at last.

Sorry to rattle on so long. Good luck in your hunt, but remember: Carfax.com.
    The number of used A6s will start increasing significantly as '98 (the model intro year) leases are just now beginning to close out. Over the next few months there should be many more used A6s available. It'll be interesting to see how well A6 resale value holds up when the supply increases.
  • linux007linux007 Member Posts: 9
    I am 18 and in teh market for an Audi A6. I just moved to IN from GA. I was looking at the A6 2.8 Quattro. 1. Is $39k loaded to much, 2. Do you think it ia a wise car for a teenager (ie. I don't want a grandpa car...aka: Cady), and 3. Do you guys think the 2.8 is ok for a lead footer like me?
    I would go for something like the S4 or an A4, but the cost is a bit much for the car (S4) and they are both WAY too small. I am trying for something that says stylish without saying Mr.SNOB. Cause being form the country in GA most of my other clasmates got Bimmers and other high price name plates. Most of which I don't like because I find the styling rather boring, whereas the A6 has very refined lines and curves, not to mention the absolutly engulfing warm interior.

HELP PLEASE.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    If I were 18 again, I'd want a car I could afford ... on my own.

Take your time, kiddo. You've got, ohh, 70 or so years left.

TAke care.
    Joe W.
    I pay for college and most everything else. I am still going to pay for half of the car. My Grandmother and mom will pay for the rest. I think I am doing better than some poeple and having family pay for all of it. I feel that if I pay for some it will be mine.
    How anyone can justify being on the giving OR receiving end of such extravagance is way beyond my comprehension. My advice: Get a car that you can afford; if Mom and Grandma want to help you, ask them to get you some spelling lessons.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    I appreciate that you appreciate the coolness of the Audi, but having car payments at 18 is BAD news. When you get to college (or maybe you are starting college) you will not be able to work full time and get the grades that you need, and you will end up losing the car and ruining your credit. Put the money towards NOT having to work and you will get the grades to get the kind of job that lets you buy whatever you want without living off mommy. Also, they can hold that payment over you for control. Don't be in such a rush! If you get everything you want now, there is nothing left in life to work for! Your folks SHOULD be telling you this. By the way the words are "Gypped" and "Caddy", plus others.
    Yes my spelling is off. But that is not the point. The points are price and power. I do not live off of "Mommy" because I can very well afford the car without her. I've been playing piano for 14years and I give lessons for extra money. Then in addition to that I build computers and offer lessons to whomever needs them. A 6 or 7 hundred dollar payment would not make or break me.
    My financial obligations are not the topic. Now could someone please tell me if the 2.8 is worth 39k loaded. Thank you all for your concern.
    And a $600 car payment hurts me a lot (I have one).

If you're really set on it, try to take some stuff off the car. $39K is too much for the car. Not that you are getting ripped off, it just is too loaded there's a bunch of stuff you really don't need.

Try to getting down to $37K either by bargaining or taking stuff off is a great idea.

I have to say though that unless your parents are giving you money, I'd say buying the A6 at that point is a bad idea. You will get a terrible interest rate, because many people your age buy expensive cars and can't afford them and so default or sell the car (and thus buy out the loan early with the money, either way the company gets less money than the full 5 years of interest, and so they plan ahead). You will pay a lot of insurance.

Your financial outlook will improve greatly in the next two years, and so anything which is barely in reach now will be easier then. I'd buy a good used car and keep it for 2-3 years, then buy.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    a bunch of people who are total strangers and like Audis would tell me this is a bad idea?"

"I tell them -- Yes my spelling is off. But that is not the point. -- and they say 'Yes, it is the point.'"

"I tell them -- The points are price and power. -- and they say, 'Nope. Not this time.'"

"But I know better. I know what I want. And what I want is what I know. It's just too perfect."

A moment while the Audi board emits a loud sigh. Sorry, linux, this time it really isn't about the car but --listen or not -- it's all about you.

Take care. Really.
    Joe W.
    Well thank you all for your help, though some of it was a bit harsh. I ended up getting a used 2000 Lincoln LS V8 . It was only about 26k. I think it's a nice car. It doesn't have the WOW factor of the Audi, but as bollinger said, "I'd buy a good used car and keep it for 2-3 years, then buy."
    The bills don't look quite that bad, so I am going to prey the work keeps coming in and all should be fine. And yes. I do have a small catch all savings account just in case money gets tight. Oh ya. I put the money in that account not my mother.
    -Chris.
    I hope all you of enjoy your Audies, and one day I hope to be here talking about mine.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    For those of you who also enjoy the AudiWorld forum, what's happened to it? Haven't been able to access it for the last day. Anyone know?
    Hello Tim!

I've been accessing AudiWorld with no problems, several times yesterday (Saturday) and once this morning already. The problem you're experiencing doesn't seem to be site-related.

Hope all is well!

- Mike
  • signutsignut Member Posts: 1
    Hi, new to Town Hall and this in general! We are looking at getting either a 97 A6Q or possibly 98A6Q(no,my grandmother is not buying me half of an S8).Seems like 98's had some teething problems,am mildly concerned about these. I have learned thru Town Hall that 98's had the Tiptronic, I guess 97's do not.Did 97 incorporate the improved Quattro or was this on the later years(something to do with improved wheelspin sensing). Have also driven a new Passat GLX and liked it.Any input sincerly appreciated! jim
    for the new (current) A6 model. The 97 was the old model and a completely different car.
    ...separate from the main water cooling system of the engine on the 2.7T? Just curious. Someone asked me, and I didn't know the answer. It is my understanding that fluid continues to circulate after the engine is shut off; I assume this is separate from the main cooling system, no?
    The 2.7T turbo bearing are surrounded by a water jacket fed by the engine cooling circuit. As far as I know, there is no circulation after the engine is shut off. The manual recommends idling for a minute or two after hard driving to allow the turbos to cool down (to prevent coking). There is an aftermarket timer kit available that keeps the engine idling for a couple minutes after you remove the key. The intercoolers that cool the intake air after its compressed by the turbos are air-cooled. BTW...this car IS a rocket.
    But as I understand, it is normal coolant in there, as part of the main system.

Oil flow does not continue after shutoff.
    I checked and there is an electric supplemental water pump that keeps coolant circulating after shut-off if the engine is very hot. I think this is to prevent coolant boil-off, and doesn't do much to protect the turbo bearing oil passages, which are the the critical items. The danger is that when driven hard, the turbos get super hot. If they're that hot when the oil flow stops at engine shut-off, the oil in the turbo bearing passages can be cooked solid (coked), eventually block oil flow, leading to a ruined bearing.
    After a great deal of research and consideration, I purchased an A6 2.8 this week. I got it for $1500 over invoice which I felt was a fair deal for the San Diego area. I went with the Bose and am very glad. I absolutely love the car and find it hard to believe I was ever considering anything else. What amazes me is that one can still get a car this polished for 1200-1800 over invoice. Hopefully I continue to feel the same about the car in the future.
    Appreciate the help on the turbo cooling questions.
  • ouiskiouiski Member Posts: 2
    I just got an a6 2.7 tiptronic. Great car. However 2 things seem strange. The brakes feel like they are grinding when applied. This is worse the longer the distance between stops. Second is the Bose radio, it loses stations when you leave it on, close the car, lock it and then start it again .

Anybody have similar experiences?
    Thanx!
  • ouiskiouiski Member Posts: 2
    I just got an a6 2.7 tiptronic. Great car. However 2 things seem strange. The brakes feel like they are grinding when applied. This is worse the longer the distance between stops. Second is the Bose radio, it loses stations when you leave it on, close the car, lock it and then start it again .

Anybody have similar experiences?
    Thanx!
    Perhaps they are just dirty. Go to an empty parking lot and make several hard stops. You don't have to activate the ABS, but get pretty close. If this doesn't fix it, then go to the dealer and get them fixed.

The problem with the radio is a known problem and quite common. Replacing the radio might reduce the likelihood, but it won't go away.
  • sspirsspir Member Posts: 2
    I had to have an A6Q-it was LAFS-but it would havebeen a real budget- buster...Found a 99A6Q2.8 with all the options(including Xenon & "Cold" package)and 25Kmi for27.5K @ area dealer and I'm still in love and smiling after 6weeks and 1Kmi.This is a great forum,and I'm in need of info/opinions. Will my All-Season radials and Quattro be more than adequate in an area with moderate snowfall,or should I consider 4-ice/snow tires?Also,I've heard an intermittent hi-pitched squeek/squeal-sometimes sounds like Rt-rear is source & disappears with light application of brake pedal(while cruising)other times audible when @ a stop and sounds more omnidirectional-or maybe up-front (squeaky v-belt?).Thanks in advance! P.S.-2.7T was a blast to drive and a great package for the $$$,but beyond my reach;I also have a teen who may need to borrow Dad's car occasionally(when his prayers are answered)in which case
  • sspirsspir Member Posts: 2
    I had to have an A6Q-it was LAFS-but it would havebeen a real budget- buster...Found a 99A6Q2.8 with all the options(including Xenon & "Cold" package)and 25Kmi for27.5K @ area dealer and I'm still in love and smiling after 6weeks and 1Kmi.This is a great forum,and I'm in need of info/opinions. Will my All-Season radials and Quattro be more than adequate in an area with moderate snowfall,or should I consider 4-ice/snow tires?Also,I've heard an intermittent hi-pitched squeak/squeal-sometimes sounds like Rt-rear is source & disappears with light application of brake pedal(while cruising)other times audible when @ a stop and sounds more omnidirectional-or maybe up-front (squeaky v-belt?).Thanks in advance! P.S.-2.7T was a blast to drive and a great package for the $$$,but beyond my reach;I also have a teen who may need to borrow Dad's car occasionally(when his prayers are answered)in which case "T" stands for: Temptation(?),Ticket(?).The 2.8 is fast enough for me.
  • iheimaniheiman Member Posts: 1
    anyone know where to purchase a in dash cd player for a 98 a6?