Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    hollywoodextra can get creative, but gosh, that site sure is entertaining.

latest pics, though, seem to be dead-on with some cars, like the acura tsx and the 04 maxima (seen in atlanta periodical just today).

about the 04 solara being a notchback, if the 03 accord coupe is turning out to be a niche enthusiast's car (minimalist, simple lines, etc.), maybe toyota will still bring out a nissan sylvia-lookalike. they don't have much to lose by way of sales if it bombs. on the other hand, it could be an image-setter for the model line where it matters.

just thinking...
  • seg52seg52 Member Posts: 1
    If the 2004 Camry Solara will be out in the Spring, why isn't there a picture of it available now? I read about the release date in the Spring on the Internet too, but received a message after I inquired at the Toyota website that the pictures don't come out until around launch time and that launch time is generally in the fall!! I've checked out "notchback" mustangs, z-200's and am kind of unsure as to what the Solara will look like. What's a "proper notchback"-- I've seen some notchback pics that looked fine and others that were ugly, I sure hope Toyota doesn't screw up the Solara style!
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Is it going to appear on any major auto show circuits? If so, when and where?

I also hope that they remove the name "Camry" from the car (in the same fashion in which "Celica" was removed from "Celica Supra" in the early-mid '80s, leaving just "Supra.") and just become "Solara."
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Do U.S. model Solara's have "Camry" on the car badging, because in Canada the Solara does not say Camry on the car anywhere ??? Just curious.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Other than on Window stickers and labeling inside of the car such as inside the engine compartment and inside the door jams, there is nothing on the outside of the Solara's here that have the name Camry on them.
  • jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    I think Toyota puts the Camry name on the car so that they can include two door sales in total Camry sales. That gives them a few extra sales to count towards that important "Best Selling Car" title they seem to crave.
    Similar to why Honda doesn't have a different name for their Accord coupe. The few sales they do have of that model along with the few sales(comparatively for both models compared to sedans) the Solara has gives a little added boost to the Accord and Camry sales numbers.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    The Camry sedan alone is #1 in sales over both the Accord sedan and coupe. Camry was 2002's top selling car, but I don't recall the difference in sales between it and the Accord. I think the Solara's sales would just add to the Camry's lead over the Accord.
    hi everyone - i'm an 00 solara se owner also craving to know about the 04 model.

if the new solara will have a sportier personality, like a nissan sylvia notchback (the rumored style), will you upgrade ? and why/why not ?

seemed far-fetched at first but with the 03 accord coupe looking like a purpose-built (for performance, with a prelude personality) car, toyota might just bring us a performance-biased vehicle, which it is perfectly capable of doing.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Although I'm pretty sure the new Solara will be very nice, I don't see why I should trade my Solara for the new one. The current Solara has trendy yet conservative lines, which I believe won't make the car look old.

I just hope Toyota has kept the T-dash style, like the current Solara. They did away with it with the new Camry, and it just doesn't look as good anymore.
    thanks for sharing your opinion. i'm convinced too that toyota had a styling homerun with the current gen car, which acura can't say for its cl nor honda for the last (or 03 ?) accord coupe.

it'll be interesting. again, appreciate your view.
  • hoo024lawhoo024law Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I enjoy these forums, quite informative. I purchesed an OEM auto-dimming rearview mirror and am going to install it in my 01 SE. I wsa told it needs to be connected to a constant 12volts and in order to do that, the wire from the rearview needed to run underneath the headliner, down underneath the A pillar trim to the junction box under the knee bolster.

If this is correct (is it?!) can somebody tell me how to remove the "door trim garnish" that covers the A pillar. I was told it snaps off, but it doesnt fell like it does. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
  • webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    Suggest the dealer does it. If they break the trim, they will more than likely replace it for you.
  • rascal79rascal79 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my Solara for a little over a year and I love the car except for in the snow. I live in PA and its really causes some problems for me to get around. Anyone try anything that has seemed to help. I've tried the most common things and am now at a stand still...literally. Thanks.
    have you tried a good set of snow tires? This will make more of a difference than any other modification you make.

Ken
    rascal79 - our '99 Solara SLE V6 coupe is shod in the winter with 4 good snow tires on dedicated rims. These 4 snows plus the FWD and traction lock provide all the control we need in winters in south-central British Columbia. Our mountain passes do get a lot of snow. So, if you don't have snow tires - get them and 4 is much better than 2.
  • mateyomateyo Member Posts: 22
    Someone posted recently about finding better/less costly replacement tires...ones other than the OEM Michelins. DO NOT, under any circumstances, let a tire dealer talk you into a set of Yokohamas. They are HORRIBLE! I was a lame-brain and replaced my worn-out Michelins with the Yokos, and it has absolutely ruined the ride and handling of the car...but you won't notice until after the first 1,000 miles. My Solara V-6 now handles as if it were on Teflon tires.

My advice: Suck it up and stick with the Michelins.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Which Yokos did you buy?

I replaced my RAV's oem B'stone Duellers with Yoko Geolandars, and so far so good (~3,000 miles, with a little snow).
    I considered the Michelin LTXs, but the difference was $164 for a set of four.
  • earlgrey_44earlgrey_44 Member Posts: 21
    My solaras have come with the Bridgestone Potenzas. I didn't know they put Michelins on some of them at the factory.

The Dunlop sport A2s look very good as replacement tires, better than comparable Michelins I think - and I'm interested in seeing if I could get 215's on my 16" alloys. My tire guy didn't like the idea, but he wasn't specific about why.

Rbeland, do you know for a fact that the wheels your 215 snows were installed on are the same exact dimensions as the OEM wheels?
    No, I do not know for a fact that the snow's wheels are exactly the same dimensions as the OEM wheels; but, the wheels were sourced and bought for me by the head service guy at my local Toy. shop. Also, we are now on our 4th winter with this wheel/tire combo with zero problems. I will try to check both sets of wheels and verify this over next few days.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....would it be a fair statement to say that 2002 was the final year a Solara V-6 SE was available with the 5-speed manual? Jeez, it's Lexus SC300 all over again....ez
  • jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    I just read in Automotive News that production of the Solara has ended in Canada. Production will be switched to Georgetown, Ky. but will not start until late summer of this year.
    Where did you get all of these comments?
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    Or does this message from Shifty (Dec.19th) ring a bell? Quote:

"Regarding complaining about dealers or cars on Town Hall.

This issue comes up on many boards, and after three + years of looking at what transpires, the Host suggests that what works best is to tell your story and then be done with it, especially in a topic dedicated to enthusiasts who want to talk about the car.

We have therefore encouraged people with "problems" to stay out of mainstream "marque" topics and start a "______ Problems" topic in the Repair & Maintenance Board. Works best for everybody."

well, almost everybody...
    There he goes again !!! Will web never stop this? Even if the stuff he posts is true (???), it has no place on this site; as the moderator has requested - take to the "problems" site, pleeeeese.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Post in question was removed, poster notified to follow previous suggestion and use the Repair & Maintenance Board for specific answers to specific questions.

Sorry for the disruption. Please continue your talk!

MrShiftright
    Host
    There have been a few comments on the Camry board about owners inquiring about this "grind" they hear when the engine is (VERY) cold, like in the temperatures we've been having in Canada and upper US states recently. I had to park my Solara outside last week, and (get your tissues out) it sat there for a few days in the -25 Celsius weather. I started it up on Friday and although the starter went at it a bit longer than usual, the engine started up like there was nothing to it. I did, however, hear that "grind" for a 1/2 second and then it never did it again. I assumed that this is normal, considering how cold it is and that I hadn't started it for a week or so. Any comments of what it could be?

On the plus side, I was amazed at how quickly the Solara warms up! This is very nice in this kind of weather.
    Although I have not (fortunatly) had to put our Solara to the really cold start-up; I know from other vehicles/cold starts in my Calgary/Edmonton days that a brief (like 1/2 sec as you said) "grind" noise is common. As long as it only lasts that long, you're OK. Incidently, our temps here have been well above average for January; I think we are the only place in Canada and the north and east of the U.S. that can claim that.
    Speaking strictly out of inexperience, would an engine blanket help?
    I heard about that... you guys had the Chinook come in and get the temperature over 10 degrees! That would've been a nice break from what we've been having lately.

Thanks for letting me know about the engine grind noise. I've never seen an engine blanket before, and Toyotas here don't come with block heaters (compared to it being standard equipment on American cars), but I don't think Toyotas don't need them anyway. Like I said in my earlier post, I was amazed at how well the V6 started, and how quickly it warmed up. Although this might be rumor, a friend of mine and a big fan of Toyota was saying that Toyota engines start quicker in colder climates. Has anyone else come across this?
    Sorry, from my post I guess you assumed I was there; I did live there in the 70's and that's what I was refering to. When I referred to above average temps, I was using Kelowna where I live now. But, I do know about the famous Calgary chinooks - just as famous as the Stampede !!!
    As to Toyotas starting easier than others in cold weather - never heard that one before, but, who knows, could be right.
  • al_trental_trent Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I am the happy owner of a used Solara since 2 days, but since yesterday I am hearing a strange little noise from the car. :(
    This noise appears at speed >50mph, and is so low that I have to drive on a very flat road to be able to hear it. It's like someone blowing through a metallic tube, and I can feel tiny vibrations in the gear shift.
    I removed the sun-roof protection thinking it was the cause, but the noise is still there. It might just be the wind going under the hood or something like that...
    Since the car is still under warranty I will bring it to a repair-shop, just wanted to know if you guys ever heard about this kind of issue with Solaras before.

Thanks!
    Yannick
    Not familiar with it - but first place I would focus would be on the tires, either the tread design or balance/alignment. This type of problem can be hard to find.
    Congratulations on your purchase. I hope that you enjoy your car for many years to come. I haven't read or heard of that kind of problem before. Maybe others here will of better help than I.
  • bezaharbezahar Member Posts: 20
    I survived but my car is in less then perfect condition. There was a nice layer of sleet on the ground. I was going a little under 25 mph the other car was probably going a little over 25 mph. I was on the outside of a turn she was coming at me on the inside of the corner. She couldn't handle the turn on the ice and came directly at me. So we ended up in a head on collision. Not sure right now weather the car will be declared totaled or not, I figure that it is probably pretty close to a total loss, will find out later this week hopefully.

Both driver & passenger air bags deployed, that was an interesting experience. My glasses jumped off of my face and landed on the emergency brake. Only thing wrong with me so far has been sore muscles in the neck and back and a sore chest, possibly from either the air bag or the seat belt. All in all not too bad would most likely have been a lot worse if it hadn't been directly head on.

If insurance decides not to repair I'll probably end up replacing with either a Camry or a Maxima, now have a family of 4 vice being a single driver, would be nice to have a 4 door vehicle.

2000 Solara SE V-6 5 speed
    I'm just glad to know that you made it safe with no serious injuries, and that your Solara held up well.
    but glad you are OK, cars can be replaced. Sounds like the airbags did their job.
    ... and am also glad to see that you are OK.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I'm just glad it sacrificed itself for the benefit of the driver! Thanks for posting that. I'm really glad you came out so well. That is the kind of thing that can end very tragically.
  • bezaharbezahar Member Posts: 20
    No no bad feelings for the car it did it's job, it protected me quite well. Only wish that it would have lasted longer then the 44k miles that I've had it for. My chest still hurts some though I guess that is to be expected, I'll be going to see my doctor later this week.
  • al_trental_trent Member Posts: 2
    rbleland and Canc: thank you for your answer, this is very much appreciated.

I brought the car yesterday to a Toyota dealership, and they were extra-nice (even though I didn't buy the car there).
    I test-drove the car with a technician, and luckily enough he could hear the noise too.
    He said that was probably coming from a wheel bearing.
    So, they rotated the tires, and took a look at the wheel bearing but found nothing. They said my car stayed outside quite a long time since there is some rust on the brakes, and the noise might came from rust in/on the wheel bearing. They greased it as much as they could and told me the noise should go away in 2 to 3 weeks, if not I would have to come back and they would change this wheel bearing (under warranty).
    I hadn't learned anything useful when I questioned my tire retailer about wheel/tire matches, and one of the beauties of BB's is that you can talk to friends that have obscure factoids at their fingertips that may otherwise be hard to find. In this case, if your wheel size info is not at hand, please don't trouble yourself unduly. I'm sure I can find the size info myself from the people who have to sell it to me. Nice to know that the 215's run on the car with no problems.
    Here's something odd. There is a arm rest for the center console that you can get from toyota, but supposedly only for the 99 - 01 model years. I have examined the 01 solara and my 02 and 03 models, and I find the console looks just the same on all. People at two dealer parts counters here couldn't explain anything about this.

Any one have any experience with these? How do they install?
    From what I remember, they were just a built up pad made of the same material as the factory armrest. They were about 2" high and angled forward at about 45degrees in the front to both raise the height of the armrest and offer those who needed it to be forward some respite. It attached via 3 metal "clamps" that came from under the built up armrest to clip around the edges of the factory one. It took about 10 minutes to attach one that I remember.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    i had a 99 solara and added the optional armrest- it did sit a bit higher-- but not by much--but was still better than the standard.... i now have a 2001 accord coupe-- MUCH NICER center armrest... better coinbox too... solara has a nicer headrest as it pivots forward whereas the accord is stationary
    ..for not getting back to you on the wheel size thing; but I realized that the size is stamped inside the wheel and the 4 wheels are on the Solara for the winter. As I said before, no problem with the 215's and the Reiken wheels. Hope you make out OK.
  • skipper53skipper53 Member Posts: 12
    I recently installed the armrest accessory in my '03 Solara. It was not a clip on. I had to remove the 'old' armrest (2 screws) and replace it with the new one. Easy job and was an exact fit. The accessory I bought was exactly like the original armrest, except it is 2-3 inches higher. After getting used to the difference, I have found it to be much more comfortable. About $50 at romaniatoyotaparts.com...
    The armrest story seems to have changed. Some web sites echo the dealers and say "no armrest after 01" but romaniatoyotaparts.com lists the same part thru 03. Same part numbers, I think.

Thanks to all who commented, esp skipper53 for confirming these things work in later models.
    Let's see what happens first. I get a straight answer from the Just Tires guys at my next rotation, or spring springs in Canada and the Solara there gets it's summer shoes, exposing the info hidden on its winter galoshes...
    hey ral! long time no hear! glad to hear the coin box is working for ya!
    :)