Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• ronandlauraronandlaura Member Posts: 1
    We have been relative proud owners of a 2000 A6 2.7T with just about every option--performance package, warm weather package, bose stereo etc. purchased in May. An annoying and possibly serious problem has been occuring once a week or so under relatively the same conditions. When under light braking--for instance slowing to turn a corner in a residential area--the car will "hesitate" without power being applied to the wheels, and a discernable "clunk" will be heard before the transmission engages and the car powers forward. There is a spike in engine rpms, not to redline but noticeable. This car is basically my wife's car as she drives it 5 or 6 times a week. The problem is annoying in that it doesn't happen all the time but then a few weeks ago it happened to me twice within an hour when I was running a few errands. I don't want to seem all alarmest here, but this has the potential to be a major problem. We have a busy highway that we both cross to get to work. Sometimes we shoot through a gap in traffic that's a little tight. I'm afraid that this problem will happen right when it shouldn't and one or both of us are t-boned. What does Audi have to say? We have taken the car to the dealer twice. The first time the technician rode with my wife for a little while but of course the car would not display the problem. Two weeks ago we took the car back and left it for four days, they drove it for about 40 miles and again could not get the car to recreate the problem. As of right now Audi says there is "no" problem however they are aware of a "software" problem involving the transmission/engine that may be the culprit and are working on it but, I was given the impression it was not a high priority. It was suggested that I contact Audi directly. I know this is a long email but, has anyone else experienced this type of problem? I love the car however I did not expect this from a car that cost over 40k. Thanks
  • fgoldfgold Member Posts: 1
    Hey "Ronandlaura" -
    May have found your problem on the NHTSA website under Service Bulletins Database...Bulletin #010002 (NHTSA Item #SB612525) covers Automatic Transmission/Power Train component: "CONCERNS WITH THE VEHICLE IN A LIMP MODE, TRANSMISSION WILL NOT SHIFT GEARS, DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE 17114 STORED IN DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE MEMORY ON VEHICLES FROM VIN 4B_YN019790 TO VIN 4B_YN078064."

Check this out with your dealer, and good luck.
  • bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    I have the same clunk thingy on my A6 2.7T. I feel it is driveline windup (endemic to full-time AWD cars) and therefore unavoidable. However, I am less convinced of this now than I was before.

The bulletin listed is not the problem because I have the problem on my A6 2.7T, and I have checked my car before and it has no DTCs stored.

If you get this clunk fixed, please report to this list, and it is beginning to bug me. I have learned to drive in such a way to keep it from happening, but that shouldn't be necessary.

If you would like to show the problem to a technician, find a place where you are going downhill (even slightly), apply the brakes lightly for a second or two, then get off them to the gas at a normal pace when you are going about 10 mpg. It will clunk nearly every time.

iheiman, go to www.clairparts.com to get the CD changer. Use my FAQ on www.audiworld.com to install it. Save yourself a bundle.
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    Your problem definitely sounds like a transmission problem related to the ECU. Does it occur when you use the Tiptronic mode?
    Wind-up usually happens on 4WDs with locked differentials, and when it makes itself known its with a big BANG. It would indicate a pretty severe problem in the quattro system.
    The windup I am familiar with occurs in non-locked center diff cars. A friend's Rover Discovery II exhibits it quite well, and it is incapable of locking its center diff (it's a open diff, not even a torsen!)
  • petrie3petrie3 Member Posts: 47
    for a 2.7t?? I assume that applies only to the ones with Tip. I got my 2000 2.7T (Tip) in May and there was a pretty decent supply then, even with the PSK sport package that I wanted. If true, Audi must be moving alot of 2.7t's these days. By the way, just learned on the Audiworld forum that you the sport package 2.7t now comes with 17 in. wheels of a different design that the current PSK wheels (more like BBS apparently).
    When I bought my 2.7T on Oct 1, the dealer (Rusnak) had only one with Tiptronic (which I bought) and about 7 six speeds on the lot. I think Audi misgauged the demand for 2.7T Tips.
  • jadbowjadbow Member Posts: 4
    I got it at Metro Audi downtown. They had the 2.8 in stock that I wanted and it wasn't too much trouble to get them down to 1500 over invoice. I did take your advice and talked to Don at Rushnak in Pasadena before I talked numbers with Metro. That was helpful for the negotiations since I would have gone up to Pasadena if they hadn't come down to 1500. It was worth it to me to spend a few hundred dollars more to get the car from someone in town instead of 2 hours away.

Don Moore and Fernando are the salespeople I worked with at Metro. They are low pressure and very helpful.

Good Luck.
  • kgrendelkgrendel Member Posts: 1
    Yup, I've got the transmission "clunk" also, and my dealer's technician has ridden with me twice (without being able to demonstrate the problem fully, although we got a taste a couple of times), and he also says it is an electronic problem that the factory is aware of and maybe .... I don't think so. It feels mechanical to me, as if there were too large a gap in first gear, so that the gear slipped as power is applied or when shifting (5- 8 mph) into it at low speeds. And yes, it is more noticeable when using the Tip. Let's get as much input on this as possible and confront the dealers.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    please forgive me if I have. I have read thru A6 Parts II and III, and have the usual questions, which I have not seen posted. Compare the 2.7T with 2.8 with 4.2 please, and give your opinions, especially with quattro and auto trans. 1)Doesn't AWD take horsepower and slow the car down, plus lower your mpg dramatically? 2)Does quattro really handle that much better? 3)Does the 2.7T cost more to maintain with 2 turbos that can get very expensive if they break? 4)Is the 2.8 underpowered, especially when mated to AWD? 5)Is all of this solved with the 4.2 V8, or does the weight of the V8 throw the car "out of balance?" 6)Does the maintenance cost after 50K miles cost an arm and a leg? 7)Would you buy another Audi knowing what you know now? 8) Do you feel that a Benz would be better, or is the Audi all that you hoped it would be?

Your thoughts and comments are always appreciated
  • cefteeceftee Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2000 A6Q 2.8 with a manual transmission. I've had it for about 6 months and have 9K miles. Right from day one, I noticed roughness and vibration starting at about 75 MPH and running through about 82 MPH, after which it begins to subside. The dealer initially said it was caused by "harmonics", which I didn't buy. After driving the car the dealer felt the vibration was bad enough to warrant installing a shim kit (supplied by Audi) to the drive shaft. The problem was still there, so the dealer ordered an entirely new drive shaft assembly which he installed yesterday. Still the same problem, no better, no worse. The dealer is now saying that the vibration and roughness is inherent to all Audi Quattros. Anybody else experiencing this problem? Anybody have a clue as to what might be the cause?
    1. AWD doesn't increase fuel comsumption noticably, maybe .5 mpg.
    2. Quattro is a marvelously transparent system and if you live in a climate with snow, it well worth adding on the 2.8 (std on 2.7T and 4.2).
    3. Turbos are now just as dependable as any other engine component. I've seen a few reports of failures, but if they make thru the first 10K, they'll probably last as long as the any other engine part. (My son's M/B turbo has 320K miles on it).
    4. The 2.8 is absolutely NOT underpowered compared to other luxury sedans. When I first drove one, I felt it had pretty good performance. After I drove the 2.7T, though, there was no going back! Its dependent on how you like to drive and what you want to pay for.
    5. There's nothing really to "solve", the 2.8 performance is adequate for most people; the 2.7T performance is equal or better than the 4.2. I have no idea why anyone spends the extra $8K ($12K over the 2.8) for the 4.2. Its a lot of $$ to pay for for a few more accessories and bigger wheels.
    6. Don't know of any A6s with over 50K yet, but theres no reason to expect maintenance to cost any more than for any DOHC V6 engine; most all of them are stinkers to work on and have similar maintenance needs like timing belt replacement.
    7. I've only had my 2.7T for a month, but I'm totally satisfied.
    8. Except for the S Class, I don't think M/B is building cars of the same quality of say, 10 years ago. I shopped M/B and was quite disappointed. The new C Class is tiny and gimmicky; the E's are dowdy and way overpriced.
    My A6 with Quattro is as smooth as butter at all speeds. You should contact Audi and get them involved. BTW, I assume your wheels are all balanced properly.
    Yes, I believe my wheels are OK. It's not that kind of vibration (ie: steering wheel). I feel the roughness slowly emanates throughout the car, but is most easily detected down in the floorboard area next to the drive train.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Dennis has already done a great job answering your Qs, so I won't duplicate what he's already shared. Based upon my own experience so far (4 1/2 months, 6500 miles), I agree with everything he said.

A few additional thoughts...

1. Regarding quattro, it doesn't sap power; the only way it "slows a car down" is by adding weight to the car.

2. I live in a moderate climate (northern CA) and have not yet driven my car on wet or slippery pavement, so I haven't yet experienced the benefits of quattro. Depending upon who you ask, quattro may or may not affect "handling"; I can tell you that the car feels incredibly stable. (I've heard it described as being "on rails" and can't disagree.) Where quattro really shines, of course, is on wet pavement; there, its benefits are undeniable.

3. Turbos in themselves have no specific additional maintenance. The big thing with turbochargers is that prompt oil changes are much more critical than with non-turbocharged cars. In addition to my A6, I own a Volvo 940 Turbo with 255,000 miles on it; it has never had a turbo problem. Keep in mind that on a 2001 Audi, scheduled maintenance is paid for by Audi for the first 4 yrs./50,000 miles. Of course, if you have to replace one or both turbos out of warranty (unlikely but certainly possible), you're looking at major money.

4. I find the power of the 2.8 to be fine. I have the Tiptronic and really enjoy the power train. Of course, it isn't the neck snapper that the 2.7T and 4.2 are, but not everyone requires that level of acceleration to be happy. When I bought, a comparably-equipped 2.7T would have cost me about $4000-5000 more than a 2.8; had $$$ not been an object, I'd have probably gone for the 2.7T. For me, however, $$$ WAS an object; I could swing a pretty-well-loaded 2.8Q, but not a comparably-equipped 2.7T. I decided that I'd rather own a lesser-powered A6 than no A6. Today, I have absolutely no regrets, and I NEVER find myself disappointed in the performance of my car.

5. As for the 4.2, as Dennis has pointed out it comes with a hefty price increase over both the 2.8 and 2.7T. If you're willing and able to spend the $$$, you'll absolutely love the 4.2. I've always thought that there's nothing quite like a V8! You also get slightly more aggressive styling with wider wheel well flares, a unique front end, unique wheel choices (16 and 17"), a couple of 4.2-only colors (Nemo Blue and Andorra Red), power operated tilt-telescope steering column with memory, aluminum front fenders, special "contoured" rear seat, the inclusion of a heated steering wheel in the optional Premium Package (none of which are available on the 2.8 or 2.7T). The 4.2 includes other features as standard that are available as options on the 2.8 and 2.7T, e.g. auto-dimming mirrors, ESP (also standard on 2.7T), multi-function steering wheel, leather seating, power moonroof, HomeLink, memory front seats and outside mirrors, rear sunshade, ski sack, and Bose audio system.

6. My guess is that owner-paid maintenance will be moderately but not hugely expensive. The only other European cars I've had experience with are Volvos, and their maintenance costs weren't bad at all.

7. I would absolutely buy another Audi, and an A6 to be sure. This car has eye-catching style, tons of class, and is (in my opinion) the perfect blend of luxury and sport. I have never felt as good driving any other car as I do when I drive my A6.

8. I'm with Dennis all the way. The MB E Class is a very nice car but it's over-priced and boring. I see it as loaded with luxury but completely lacking in sport unless you go for the mega-buck E55. I just looked at the new C Class and, while it's a nice car (and they'll sell zillions of them), it's very small compared to an A6. (Its real Audi counterpart is the A4, and I'd take the A4 over the C Class.)

If you haven't yet done so, I encourage you to drive the A6 and see what you think. Definitely drive a 2.8Q; if you can afford the 2.7T but aren't sure whether or not it's worth the extra cost to you, then drive it and decide (same with the 4.2); if those two versions are out of reach, then I suggest not going near them!

When you drive the cars, notice the incredible comfort, the beautiful interior styling, the high-quality feel of every control and switch; don't miss seeing the interior lighting after dark - there isn't another car out there that does it better.

If you decide to get an A6, I have two strong recommendations:

1. Get the Premium Package (Steering wheel stereo controls, memory front seats & mirrors (2.8), auto-dimming mirrors, and xenon headlights). The auto-dimming mirrors are very nice (the only way I know of to eliminate annoying glare from the outside mirrors) and the xenons are fabulous; I wouldn't own a car without them.

2. Don't assume that the Bose audio system will sound better to you than the standard system; to many, it doesn't. Listen to both and decide for yourself.

3. Go to the A6 forum at http://www.audiworld.com and browse the threads; there is a ton of valuable information there.

Good luck!

- Mike
    This is just a long shot...does the vibration occur every time you drive within the speed range you mentioned? Does it happen with the moonroof closed? Your symptoms sound very similar to the dreaded "wind buffeting" that occurs while driving within certain speed ranges with the roof completely open.
    Thanks for your input. I'm familiar with "wind buffeting" and this is definitely not it. Yes, the vibration occurs every time within the speed range, with the sunroof open as well as closed. Interestingly however, if I downshift into fourth gear and than run the car up to that 75 to 82 MPH range, the car runs very smoothly with no evidence of roughness or vibration.
    If the vibration stops when you change gears, sounds like you've got a transmission, clutch, or engine related problem (engine mounts?) If it were the drive shaft or half shafts, it would be purely road speed related regardless of the gear. I'd be suspicious of the clutch as its the most likely to be out of balance. What happens if you run at the engine RPM where it vibrates (at high speed) in lower gears?
    That's a good point about testing the RPM level rather than the speed. Haven't done that but I'd guess that the engine would be turning over at about 3500 at 78MPH in fifth. I probably haven't noticed anything because 3500 is a point that I pass through pretty quickly when going through the gears, and its a point that I'm not likely to
    stay at for any length of time even in 3rd or 4th.
    Thanks, I'll have to try it out.
    As far as the clutch being out of balance, wouldn't I have symptoms all over the place if that were the case?
    If the clutch is out of balance it would vibrate worst at a certain RPM range that "excites" it, like an unbalanced wheel that vibrates within a certain speed at is not noticeable above or below it. If this is the case it should be apparent in neutral with the car stopped too.
  • tjk4tjk4 Member Posts: 4
    sspir (hi scott) asked if sno tires were advisable in moderate sno area. i just ordered '01 2.7T (sil/blk)- is "On the water" - maybe 3-4 weeks if im lucky. You guys in other parts of country are lucky- many 2.7T stk here in boston area- no tip/auto; PLUS - $500 more off if i'd take ebony pearl on lot - (i'll pay and hold out for the silver, but didnt get it for $2000 over invoice [not much worse..but..;(]. So- ? is- snows or not? any experience ? (4.2 w/low profile would need snows here in new eng; 2 dealers have advised). thanx for imput - will let u kno when i get my 2.7! tom
    You have summer-only tires, and you will need to get all-season or snow tires for winter. Even if it doesn't snow!

The cold makes the compound of summer tires close up and they lose grip, even without coming into contact with snow.
  • vkjvkj Member Posts: 67
    peter,

where did you see the information about the 17 inch wheel being part of part of the 2.7t sport package. I have search audiworld without success.
  • vkjvkj Member Posts: 67
    From what I can tell on audiworld, the 17 inch wheels are part of a $3600 option which probably also includes the other components of the psk sports package.
    The info on 17 in. wheels came from April on the Audi world forum. She is an Audi salesperson in SoCal who has contributed lots of great input to that forum. She received a fax from AoA, apparently, that mentioned this new option. I don't know whether it is in conjunction with anything more that ordering the Sport package.She said it couldn't be ordered until Nov.
    I have the sport pkg. with Dunlop SP9000 tires and live in Southern California. Though I've never had "summer" tires on a car before, your comment about needing winter tires surprised me. In SoCal it never gets below about 40 deg.(if that!) and I am not a skier, though I may take a trip to the local mtns. each winter. Do you really think I need all-season tires for the winter just to cruise around occasionally at 45-50 deg. or so? It seems to me I saw some posts at Audiworld from folks who said these Dunlops were ok even in light snow in colder climates. I'd appreciate your opinion and experience.
    Unless you have $$ to burn, theres no reason to buy all-season tires in SoCal (unless you regularly head into the mountains in winter). "Cold" back east has a totally different meaning...think frozen solid for week after week after week; compared to a cool (40's) night followed by 60's by noon; which is what "cold" means in SoCal. They also have to deal with frozen pavement, we don't. Our worst SoCal February weather would be a major heat wave in Chicago or Boston. If you need to occasionally travel in the mtns, carry some light chains for "get home" capability in heavy snow.
    Thanks, I figured that was the case. Checked with someone locally who agreed and said these tires(great in rain, btw) would be fine in light snow but not ice. Any thoughts on source for the "light" chains? I trust I'd need them for all 4 tires.
    You'll need them for all four wheels if you have quattro. If not; front only. You might check some of the upscale auto accessory places on the web; LA isn't a big market for tire chains. Features to look for: 1) easy to install (with gloves on!), easy to adjust tension, 3) the design shouldn't chew up the tire. Chains are for low speeds only (under 25) in snow and ice and NEVER used on clean pavement. If you leave 'em on, they'll eat the tires.
    Thanks again. My 2.7t is quattro, of course, which I'm also hoping will help with keeping the Dunlops moving in "light" snow. I grew up in NY so I know all about driving in heavy snow, though always with snow tires, not chains. I don't intend to drive when I know the snow is heavy, but it could hit when I was already in the mtns. so I'll keep some in the trunk. At what point does the CHP turn you back if you don't have snow tires or chains when it's snowing?
    Look at your front suspension some time. There is an overhand only about 2 inches above the tire and net very far from it horizontally. I'd be looking at Z-chains (cables) only. They fight very tightly and are thin. Anything more and you may be looking at trouble.

CalTrans (not CHP) will check for chains at designated checkpoints. They move up and down the road depending on the snow level. You will probably be allowed past anyway because you have Quattro. They don't know your tires are no good (on snow) and don't take the time to check them for the M+S designation.

You really should use your own careful judgement. As to when it isn't safe to proceed.
    Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. I haven't checked the manual yet re: chains, etc. but your point is a good one about clearance. Good point too about what the CHP does at checkpoints. Can't believe they would have the time or interest in checking the M+S designation, so I'm glad I left the Quattro badge on my grill! And, yes, when all is said and done, I use my own judgment on conditions and was a pretty good snow driver before quattro! I just have to remember not to get too complacent now that I have it.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    earlier query, for which I am grateful to those who responded. On the 2.7T, do you experience any kind of turbo-lag (I almost wrote jet-lag) when you hit the gas, as compared to the 2.8 and 4.2?

I spent the last week (vacation) in Panama City and hoped to find an Audi dealer in Destin ($$$$) but no Audi dealer to be found, unless I am blind (which may be the case)
    And any lag is balanced by the 2.7T's tremendous low RPM torque response, which comes on under 2000 RPM. I think the 4.2's torque doesn't come on strong 'til well over 3000rpm. In reality, its splitting hairs performance-wise. The 2.8 is a good engine, but its not in the same performance league as the bi-turbo or the 4.2.
    When coming from very low RPMs. Basically from idle. However, as dwpc says, the lag is minimal, and the fact that you hit full torque (well above Audi's stated max) at about 1900rpm makes up for it.

If you really can't deal with turbo lag, you don't have much choice other than the 4.2. Me, I find the lag to be so minimal as to not be a problem.
    If you haven't driven with a turbocharged engine, you might have the wrong idea of what turbo lag is. Turbo lag refers to the time needed for the turbos to spool up to produce boost. Its not like you press the gas pedal and nothing happens. There is no lag or pause in acceleration; it just a moment until you feel the FULL turbo boost effect and take off like a rocket.
  • tmayer1tmayer1 Member Posts: 7
    When a passenger in my 2000 A6 2.7, hits the Driver passenger window down button sometimes, actually almost all the time they have to hit it twice.
    At first I thought maybe my passengers were doing something wrong but then I tried it and it did the same thing.
    My Driver Console works great for all the windows.
    I took my car in for its 6-Month service and alerted the service rep.

If fact when I was there, the rep had to roll down the window to put in the anti theft box or whatever that thing is, and it did the same thing.
    He said he would check it out.

Upon picking my car up the first thing I did was check the window and it did the same thing.
    The rep and My salesman said that all there A6's
    Did that.
    On the service report they stated that
    "The car is operating according to Manufacturing
    Specifications at this time"
    My Boss has a 1999 A6 2.8 and his Driver Passenger
    window works perfect everytime.

Am I Doing something wrong.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem.
    Steve Bollinger, Do you have any suggestions.
    Thank You All.
    Tom
  • greatguygreatguy Member Posts: 2
    Back to messages around 307 or so where 2.7T owners were discussing experiencing hesitation when at very low speed. I have also experienced this off and on and to varying degrees, especially when taking off from a complete stop, or when moving slowly in traffic and then accelerating. It reminds me of an old Mercury that a college friend had a number of years ago. His automatic did a very similar feeling thing when it was running low on transmission fluid. (Yes, he had a leak that he couldn't afford to fix.) Please keep us up to date. I'm approaching the 5000 mile/6 month checkup and will ask about it too.
    I'm confused, Tom. Are you referring to the front passenger window? If so, are you saying that if a passenger pushes and holds the window button on the front passenger door, nothing happens? Or, are you saying that the "express down" feature (push & immediately release for full down) on the front passenger window requires two pushes/releases before the window goes down?

At any rate, I just tried the express down on all 4 of my windows. They all work normally from the buttons on their respective doors. That is, a single push and immediate release results in full lowering of the windows. If yours doesn't do that, something's wrong.
  • tk456tk456 Member Posts: 1
    When the radio was changed for the 2000 model year, was the only thing that changed the radio interface? Or did the speakers and sound quality change too? Thanks
    What you mention is definitely not normal. Reset the window by holding up on the switch for about 5 seconds, releasing, then hold up 5 seconds again. If that doesn't fix it, there is something wrong, something the dealer should replace.

I presume you are holding down the switch when it doesn't work? That is, press and hold, release, press and hold to make it work? It really sounds like a problem in the auto-up.

My drivers window required resetting once (as described above). The only other problem I've had is that if you start all 4 windows in motion in quick succession, usually the auto-up will reverse on one or more windows. This is because the auto-up detects motor stalls through voltage drops. When you turn on all 4 windows at once the voltage drops and the falses the sensor. Not great, but not a big problem. I just take a little longer between lifting the front two switches and then lifting the back two.
  • tmayer1tmayer1 Member Posts: 7
    TO MPUZACH AND STEVE BOLLINGER.
    Thank you for your help.
    I Picked up my A6 2.7 Sat and the Passenger side
    window switch works fine. My salesman told me they reset the switch.
    Steve, I wish you worked at my dealer.
    My Question is, Why did I have to Bounce it back to them in the first place ??.
    I Also had a Squeak in my back Seat, again they fixed it only after I Complained.
    Some of the Excuses my dealer comes up with are so lame that they are Insulting.
    Example: They originally they said the Squeak in my back seat was the back brakes engaging ????
    Overall all my problems have been minor
    and after 3-Days in a 1996 Volvo My 2.7 is a Dream Machine.
    Thanks again.
    Tom
    There seems to be some consistency to reports about lack of responsiveness by Audi dealers and AoA. If true it will bite them in the end because more and more potential buyers read these forums. When selling $40+ cars, they ought to fall over themselves to keep their customers happy. The best written warranty in the world is no better than the company support its given. I haven't had any real problems with my 2.7T yet (1100 mi.), but I do have a list of minor gripes that I expect my dealer to correct. If I have to put up with miserly service, I'll take my business elsewhere (BMW, Lexus) in three years. You'd think that a company that took so many years to recover from the Audi 5000 troubles in the 80's would have learned their lesson. We'll see.
  • seattlesheilaseattlesheila Member Posts: 68
    the Audi A6 Turbo Diesel Wagon yet? I drove one in Europe last month and was pleasantly surprised. Just wondered if anyone else had been over there and wants to share an opinion or two...
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I've had several issues which required my dealer's attention for my A4 and while they haven't always figured out straight away they have bent over backwards to take care of me. They even loaned me a brand new A6 which made me hope that they would never fix my A4.
    tmayer1, glad your windows are operational again.

On to dealer responsiveness:
    I do keep hearing problems such as are spoken on here, with dealers being reticent to fix or look at problems. Mine has been quite the opposite, asking if I have any complaints I want looked at each time my car is in. At times, they have been hamstrung by parts availability (still waiting on a radio), but they do mean well.

I wonder what makes a dealer take a particular stance either way? If your repairs are warranty repairs they actually make a profit fixing them, so I don't know why they'd balk at that. For really minor things like resetting your window system, it just seems like it takes less time to fix it than argue about it!

I've never had an Audi as a loaner yet (I get awful little cars), but otherwise the dealer has been as helpful as they could be.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Usually, I just listen in here, but I may have something to contribute for once --

often, in a luxury car environment (Audi, MB, and so on) the people working on the car share some blue-collar resentment of the people who they see can "afford" such machines. They see that their customers are -- like all customers -- a mix of idiocy, arrogance, and irnorance (as well as many of the nicer qualities) and do what they can to exercise a moment of superiority over their custo ... err, victims. It must, for example, be frustrating to a mechanic who likes fine machinery to see it having troubles due to sloppy and inconsiderate maintenance.

I once had an acquaintance, a MB mechanic, confess over a couple of beers that they often "lost" parts orders or inserted additional minor problems (loose bolts, rattles, etc.) just "for fun" when a car was in the shop, especially when they perceived the customer as "asking for it."

I suspect that such attitudes may fester in a difficult working environment and may only disappear if the dealership owner makes a concerted effort to generate respect for the purchaser in his staff. My guess, in other words, is it comes from the top down.

FWIW.

Take care.
    Joe W>
    I suspect that weak service is a byproduct of the "squeeze-blood-from-a-turnip" deal shopping so common now. With margins much lower than they used to be, dealers can't afford to "eat" non-covered costs to keep the customers happy the way they used to. Many years ago, I worked as a service writer at a long established Pontiac/GMC dealer near Detroit. It was common practice for them to cover repairs (to cars they had sold) that GM wouldn't, just to keep buyers satisfied. It worked too; they did a large % of new sales business to return customers.
  • raykarraykar Member Posts: 4
    I and many others on the Audiworld.com board suffer with the same high speed vibration in our 2000 A6 2.7T's. We have repeatedly had our tires balanced and rotated and switched out to no avail. We have been discussing a class-action suit. In the meantime, I would love to correspond with you directly about this. Please e-mail me at rfioravanti@ebglaw.com.

Just so we're clear, this is a vibration--a slight one--felt through the pedal and seat at around 65 mph, and which disappears at about 85 mph. Right?

Please provide more details about the arbitration.