Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• genemachine1genemachine1 Member Posts: 24
    Help-I drove the a-6 quattro and really like the car. However I am reading horror stories about repair problems and reliability about audi and this car. I currently own a lexus and although it does not ride like an audi -handling/performance-it is problem free.The 4 year maintenance free warranty is appealing but I do not want to spend every month in the repair shop with a loaner. Is anyone out there who is having a good experience with this car.please post your opinions on this subject. Also I read that audi resale values are terrible because of their problem reputation.Any info on this?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    do not have problems that would or should anyway, deter you from buying.

Audis instill in most of us Passionate Responses -- as in "no boring cars."

Like anything else however, they could be more reliable.

My only advice: never have one out of warranty.

But this advice also applies to a Lexus in my opinion.
  • subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    Keith,
      check the Lemon laws in your state. Most state laws create a definition of "lemon" that includes X number of days in a year in the shop. It sounds like you're over the limit , at least you would be in my state. They havent been able to fix the problem, yet, and if they ever claim to have it fixed, you'll be in a car that was essentially "rebuilt" in a piecemeal fashion by the mechanics in your dealer's garage instead of the computer -controlled precision assembly plant in Ingolstadt.

Call your consumer protection office in your state and find out what the law is in your state.
    You dont want this car. You may be legally entitled to have it repurchased by audi USA.

All A6s have wind buffetting with the sunroof open between 35 and 50mph ...crack a rear window and it will go away. By the time you hit 50, the airflow over the roof opening is sufficient to close the windows .

Mark
  • mpyles1mpyles1 Member Posts: 91
    Back in message #3797 I reported on the continuing problems with Telematics I've had with an A6 and an S6.

The On*Star control module still has not arrived to replace the bad one they first sent the dealer to replace the one that originally failed.

I've talked to an attorney about lemon-lawing the car, since it's been in the shop 4 times since November. I might be able to lemon law it, but he feels Audi will fight it based on a claim that some of the failures were of the Telematics electronics and some were of the On*Star control module -- i. e., not the "same" repeated failure that the law requires. And Audi has been adamant that my only recourse is to continue to have the car repaired under warranty (every 12 weeks on average, since I bought the first car in May of 2002). Since the last failure caused the battery to drain down, I've become unwilling to take the car on long trips out of reach of Audi dealers.

So last night I traded the piece of crap for a new Mercedes SL500 -- and took a ~ $20,000 depreciation hit for owning the S6 about 8 months. Given the service history of the car, no one would give me above auction value on a trade-in.

So, folks . . . buy Audis if you like. But understand that if they have chronic problems, Audi will leave you holding a very expensive bag.
  • px260px260 Member Posts: 42
    Even if you can get it certified used, do you have the time to deal with the potential problems - drop it off and pick it up, arrange for loaners, collateral damages, etc, etc. It takes a lot of time out of you. Most of us do not receive the red-carpet treatment or have the relationship with the local Audi dealer like someone here on the board. You'll have to strike a balance between driving enjoyment and the (potential) headaches.
  • kwarnoldkwarnold Member Posts: 41
    I thought I would give the group an update on my ongoing Audi A6 (2003, Quattro, 3.0, 4500 miles) and the vibration problem that has continued to elude the dealer.

In post # 3800 above (July 20th) I was still waiting on my car. Well I got it back late last week after spending more than three weeks in the Audi service center. The Audi engineers continue to be perplexed by this and Audi continued to throw a LOT of money into the car. (Wait 'til you see this number...)

(Mark, from post 3805 above, please note that my situation is NOT a wind buffetting problem. I think that was something someone else was asking about elsewhere in this thread.)

I got the car back and it is better. But at speeds between 40 and 65 you can still notice a vibration in the wheel and pants seat. As noted before, Audi has replaced the 17" wheels, tires, brakes, rotors, drive shaft and now the transmission.

Note to those on this board who like to keep their cars a LOOOOOONG time: Pray you never have to replace the tranny in one of these bad boys. The replacement transmission alone was over $14,000. Yes, that's right: Fourteen Thousand Dollars. (Actually it was about $14,400; but the rest is just a rounding error at this point.) This is one of the reasons I don't like keeping a car after the warranty expires!

So at this point I am awaiting word back from the Audi rep to see what's next. The dealer said the car definitely has to go back into the shop for several more days. That may happen next week.

To those posting about the Lemon Laws, from what I have been told by the dealer, Audi's rule is that they will continue to put money into the car for 30 days. I am real close to that point at this time. At 30 days they open negotiations and look for alternate resolutions. I have neither the time nor the energy to litigate, so I am going to push Audi on this.

Thus far, in my 4 months of ownership, there has been well over $17,000 in repair work been done (and documented) on my car. This has got to be one of the most expensive Audi A6 Quattros in the world!!

More to come as this story continues to unfold...
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I've got to say that I admire your patience...

Did they replace the Transmission Control Module? When I owned my allroad that turned out to be the source of my vibration problem. Assume they've considered that but just checking...
  • jodarjodar Member Posts: 53
    I was considering getting the OnStar Telematics installed in my '01 Audi A6. I Emailed the OnStar folk and they said that it is a dealer installed option. Given the recent posts, I am hesitant about it now but am just wondering if perhaps the posts (3797, 3806) are just isolated incidents?

For those who have the OnStar/Telematics, does it work fine in your Audis? I rented a Cadillac in southern CA recently and really liked the OnStar service, from the restaurant location to the directions. If it can work in a Chevy Cavalier, why not an Audi?
  • genemachine1genemachine1 Member Posts: 24
    Please look at message # 3803. Is anyone happy with their a-6? Are there repair problems? Does the resale value stink?Other than normal maintenance how many times will I visit the service center for minor repairs? love the car but I really would like to read some positive comments!I could wait for the all-wheel drive lexus gs300 next year.
    I am very happy with my A6 so far. The car is still under warranty and I did purchase an extended warranty for 5 years, 100K. I'm crossing my fingers that it will not suffer the fate that some of the members' Audis have had based on the posts.

If the car is sensibly driven and maintained, why shouldn't it last for a long time? Granted, there are a few incidents of lemons out there but I can't believe this is the 'norm'.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Many people have commented on the poor reliability and resale of Audis. While this may seem like dancing in a graveyard, does the board think that the current used pricing on the 2000 and 01 A6's factors all this in, including the hysteria? In other words is the pricing such that an Audi Certified used A6 now is a very, very good deal? A deal good enough to compensate for some expected problems?

(The E Series Mercedes is plagued by many of the same problems but seemingly has held firm on depreciation. I guess if you put a Timex in a Rolex box it would still have resale value to people that just have to have that validation.)
    Gene,

In response to your posting about whether or not to purchase an A6, I would say you should give it some serious positive consideration. Keep in mind that I am also the guy who has been posting about my car being in the shop almost an entire month and having over $17K worth of work done to his car. I guess Audi should hire me as a spokesperson at this point.

The bottom line is that this really is a good car - I just feel mine is an exception. Personally, if Audi came back and said they would either give my money back or give me another A6, I would probably take another A6. I went from a relatively recent Mercedes-Benz E320 to the Audi and I prefer driving the A6.

If you are looking at a used A6, absolutely make sure you have a Certified car with the Audi warranty. As markcincinnati stated above (as did I in my last post) you never want to own one of these dudes out of warranty.

Good luck and give the car some good consideration.

Keith
    Joel,

Thanks for the advice on the transmission control module for my vibrating A6. It is hard to imagine that they have not replaced it at this point, but I will double-check. You are right: I guess I am a patient man....

Thanks again for the advice!
    Keith
    I have On*star in my 03 Audi allroad. It has been the only problem I have had with the car of any note. It was fixed after an 11 day stint at the dealership and the problem was OH So Simple: at the factory, the two GPS wires (I have both On*star and Sat Nav) were apparently crossed) the Sat Nav worked and On*star could never "see" the car's location.

A new On*star module didn't cure the problem, for obvious reasons -- since then, no problemo.

My main complaint is that the Audi phone was so expensive and it seems just like a Mororola V60 with the four rings embossed on it and some software I assume.

Read an article about On*star -- it is not making much money, in fact it is claimed that many GM dealers don't even bother to turn On*star on for their customers even though it is free for the first year.

I wouldn't have a car without it now.

Reliability -- is such a difficult subject to address. We all want more reliable appliances regardless of their origin -- sweepers, washers and dryers and literally everything mechanical -- we would all like these things to be more reliable.

We would also like our cars to be more engaging, more fun, safer, higher in performance and content.

My experience with Audis is overwhelmingly positivie -- but I do factor in the driving experience. No boring cars -- to me the Audi family makes engaging cars.

Not unique to Audi -- I would never have one out of warranty. They (and again, not unique to Audi) are breathtakingly expensive to repair. Mercedes, even more so and often plagued with the exact same maladies as Audis, BMW's, Volvos, Saabs and VW's.

But, I have test driven several Lexus cars -- and they are Barco Lounger nice. But I wouldn't trade their legendary reliability for an Audi.

Rather I want my Audi to increase and improve its reliability and hope that by doing so, the car is not emasculated -- which is my main sense when I drive many other cars (from all over the world).

Ther Germans, particularly, imbue their cars with some sort of driving pleasure that I have not found in abundance elsewhere.

The extended warranties (to 100K) are relatively inexpensive. If you must keep one of these great cars beyond 50K, that would be my suggestion.
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Hi, y'all! I drive a 2002 A6Q 2.7T 6M and am very happy with it. I originally planned to get the new A8 in '05 but my driving experience had been such that I will probably wait until the next A6. Had one problem after 18 months, which was very minor, fixed in a few hours. I hope every one out there has positive experience like mine. No, I don't own Audi stock, and have no connection with them in any way. Enjoy the drive. Mario
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    (The E Series Mercedes is plagued by many of the same problems but seemingly has held firm on depreciation. I guess if you put a Timex in a Rolex box it would still have resale value to people that just have to have that validation.)

Certainly the above remark is not meant to imply that an E Series Mercedes is a "Timex in a Rolex box" is it?
  • dtwleungnycdtwleungnyc Member Posts: 188
    what Mark meant was that perception is everything.
    But I was just over at the Touareg posting here at Edmunds, and I thought I read that the ML depreciated really quickly and according to the poster the vehicle was "bad" (my summation).

But I agree -- perception IS reality.
    My bad. It was late. My post was should have been directed to blockislandguy
    Mbnut1, my comment was in the context of the many problems with the A6 Audi. I was wondering if the resale level had fallen so low that maybe now it was a screaming buy. For a guy like me.

(Markcincinnatti and I went to different schools: he wants to lease new vehicles and be out of them at 50K miles. I want to buy a vehicle after the depreciation curve flattens out and drive it with equal parts TLC/Mobil 1/Redline ATF etc out to maybe 105K. Then the vehicle becomes one more rusty hulk to avoid on a dark, foggy night on Block Island.)

The E Series, is apparently plagued by the same number of problems as the Audi. Just look at the Edmunds E Series Problem board (I'll go easy and not even mention the recent Consumer Reports reliability studies). Yet the MB seems to have held up its resale value. The only conclusion that I can draw from two vehicles with the same problematic reputations having differing rates of depreciation is simply that one offers more perceived status.

So, if you wrap a Timex--in this case a problem car- in a Rolex box, everyone is happy: the seller got a great price, the buyer can show the Rolex box (i. e, the three pointed star on the hood) to his friends, the local independent MB mechanic has a new source of income, and every one lives happily ever after!

My motivation for the original post was simply to ask was the A6 now priced like a Rolex in a Timex box? I'd still like some feedback on that.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The E-Class has it's problems, but they still aren't at the Audi level. Nor are they as major. Audi has one too many transmission and engine problems for one.

M
    for all of my friends who are amazed at bthe money Audi will pour into repairing a car under warranty: I am a lawyer with lots of experience representing auto manufacturers, insurance companies and disgruntled consumers. The audi maintenance + repairs warranty is a gold mine for your local audi dealer.
       They will fix anything and everything as many times as they can because the 'book' reimbursement for those repairs is exponentially more than their actual labor costs +wholesale parts cost, and nobody challenges the need or result of the repair work. The only bigger profit margin for your dealer is when you drop off your car and pay whatever they say you "need" to repair or replace. Once my Audi was out of warranty, it never sees the dealer except for recall work. Audi of America has a policy with a commercial insurer or a self funded captive insurance program in the Cayman islands with Audi AG to cover the warranty repairs, and the local dealers know that brand identification plus the cost of repurchasing a car make the hassle unrealistic to Audi AG....
          All current model audi's are engineering wonders...many are relatively fragile, high maintenance luxuries. All are exhorbitantly expensive to repair at an audi dealer. My local dealer's repair charges per hour are $15 higher for audis than for Buicks...same guys doing the work in the same garage.
        So there...I've said it.
    Mark
    Blockislandman

I went to the same school as you did and I agree with Merc1's rationale.

Is the the higher prestige of a Mercedes a factor in the resale value? Absolutely. Part of the Mercedes mystique is a long history of reliability which admittedly of late has deteriorated. Audi has never established itself as having superior reliability relative to the competition. For the most part Audi's reputation is to be less reliable.

I've yet to see an E_Class scatter $17K worth of engines or transmissions. MB has had problems with the electronics but it's hard parts are solid. While it may expensive to keep on the road your financial exposure on a used out of warranty E-Class is lower. Keeping in mind that exposure is defined as probability multiplied by potential cost.

Based on my personal experience Audi's just aren't as well made as Mercedes. My last Mercedes was four years old and had 95K miles when I bought it. Over the 6 years I owned it it had by far fewer problems than four years with my A4 which was one year old with 30K when I purchased it.

So why do I still own the Audi? First of all Audi has dumped a lot of money into my car and I'm rolling the dice that my particular probability of future big bucks expenses has been reduced accordingly. Furthermore Audi gives you is the best driving experience per purchase dollar spent. Mercedes are significantly more expensive to buy and for the most part do not drive better and when quattro is factored in, often do not drive as well.

Ya pays your money and takes your chances........
    The phrase is Audi's are breathtakingly expensive to repair out of warranty -- but in all fairness to Audi, our experience with BMW is that even servicing one of them makes the Audi look cheap.

I used to tell my wife that even the oil changes for BMW's were $100 -- and that was in 1989!

This is not a crack on BMW's -- more to the point, the European cars (my neighbor's E Class neede a power seat motor out of warranty: $1,400!; my other neighbor's Jaguar -- fuggetaboutit!) generally will take your wallet and your breath away if you need them worked on out of warranty.

I love these cars especially Audis -- but they do require a ton of money to keep going. I vote for the extended warranties offered, or, better still, short term leases with no money down and permanently new cars with permanent car payments.
  • rt4rt4 Member Posts: 13
    Just a general comment on this site re: Audi product, and then on to the "problems" site where I'll get into my CVT trans------no, not the reverse problem some are having ,but the "hesitation," and "searching" problem upon acceleration.
    For those looking at this site wondering if they should purchase a new one: One month ago, I turned in my 2000 A-6 2.8 which was on a lease. It was the best car I have ever owned----period! Zero problems----only went to dealer for oil changes. Because of that good experience, I am now driving a 2003 A-6 3.0. CVT tranny------hmmmmm. Did not detect anything abnormal on the test drive of this car, however, am now having prob.but don't want to go any deeper at this site. Anyway, rest of car is absolutely great, and IF dealer can fix my problem, I'll continue to be impressed by Audi products.
    My wife and I have had a couple dozen Audis since 1978, one BMW 325ix, one Jetta and one Quantum (VW).

At one time or another, we loved each and every car -- sometimes even for the same reasons.

We still consider Audis "high value" when compared to other relatively high-buck European brands.

All manufacturer's cars get a little long in the tooth -- eventually. The 2003 TT is said to be "showing its age" (the first model year was 2000) and is no longer at the cutting edge of performance (when compared to its price). The last year of the previous A4, the car magazines spoke about the A4 in the past tense, proclaiming that it too was long in the tooth.

Where we feel that we are currently is, for what its worth: A8L up to date; A6 ripe for replacement but both its styling and features have weathered well; A4 in the third year of a refresh, needs some more refreshing but the S4 certainly helps the image -- of course the moment a new 3 series Bimmer comes out, thrppppp -- the air will be let out of the Audis tires (figuratively speaking of course); the TT is, at this moment overpriced (as is the RS 6 IMHO).

BMW will be unveiling a new 5 series -- hopefully within a maximum of one model year there will be a new A6 -- from what I can tell the 04 A6 will be unchanged which will probably make it for a variety of reasons a super bargain when compared with a fresh spanky new 5 series Bimmer.

And thus the cycle continues -- the 05 A6 should leapfrog the 5 series at least in some way. The M5 will probably out gun the RS 6. The TT with the 3.2L V6 will buy the TT some time -- IF the price doesn't go up. BMW has a sorta hot 330, hotter than the Ultra Sport A4 package -- but the fresh S4 trumps the last generation M3, but then the M3 will -- well you get the idea.

Then to confuse the market, VW will crank up the price and crank up the differentiation of its products which, no matter what they claim, will have to be some competition for Audi. The "GOLF" r32 will essentially be a TT 3.2 for $9K less and the 05 Passat could be serious competition for the A4 even though its claimed target customer is "C" class Merc customers.

Audis (like many other brands, IMO European brands) are great to drive, fun, safe and high performance.

You can find owners who will rail on and on about problems they have had. Ditto BMW, Volvo, Saab, etc etc. And you can find folks like my wife and me that are virtual ambassadors of the brand.

If you like the thing, buy it -- don't over analyze it. To us, the car is kinda like your spouse -- you can't tell how things are gonna be by looking in Consumer Reports.
    Mark makes an excellent point. None of these cars are perfect. Pick what you like for whatever reason and enjoy.
    Mark's post is excellent and informative. I wish though that he had weaved the new R Series into his analyis. Think about it: 300HP running through six speeds to AWD, sedan and wagon configurations both available for about 41 large!
  • lookingtobylookingtoby Member Posts: 1
    Needs some advice please:

I travel around 20-25K miles per year. Had a company car until recent job change. Now I get an allowance. I travel OK and KS area. I have narrowed it to the following due to driving weather conditions.

2003 new A6: Loaded except Nav package
    2.7T AWD Auto Quattro Price 42K 247 mi test drive only. 60 Mo term
    3.0 AWD Auto Quattro Price 39K 61 mi no test drive. 60 Mo term

Due to the extreme miles per year the following extended warranty is offered:

2.7T before 4 Y or 50K mi offers “36 mo / 36K mi warranty for $2K” = 7Y/ 86K mi
    3.0 at the time of purchase 5 year / 100K for $2K

Issue: I feel that I will reach the 50K mi in the in the 2nd or 3rd year.
    Your posts lead me to believe a warranty is mandatory with the A6.

Any advice on these options above? Are these prices acceptable?

I am sure I will reach the mileage limit before the warranty years ends.
    Any suggestions when once this happens?

Does one model car have any advantage over the other with regards to breakdowns?

Note: This will be a company and family car. Not to be driven hard.

Your comments and recommendations would be welcome.
    If this car is just for work and family driving, why get the Turbo? You would subject yourself to the mechanical complications and headache of possible breakdowns and down time. I'd just stick with the 3.0 Quattro.
    The 2.7T is more fun than a barrel of monkees as they say. Why not get the car that will bring an ear-to-ear grin every time you drive it?

True, the turbo is "more complicated" -- but it appears that your driving will be at freeway speeds for fairly long distances -- get the extended warranty, use Mobil1 Oil and pay the slight upcharge and love every minute of the drive.

Last but not least -- the "summer tires" have a realatively short life. When you replace the tires you should be able to get some long lasting, ultra high performance all - season tires that will also be very quiet.

Life's too short to go with the 3.0 when you can make the 2.7T choice.

Finally if you can get the A6 2.7T with the 6spd manual you will have the 2nd quickest A6 in the land -- and it will be even more fun.

Yes, get as much warranty as possible no matter which A6 you get. One repair will make a $2K warranty extension look like a peanut.
  • dpedersen1dpedersen1 Member Posts: 33
    I love it. I should just stop with those 3 words, but with all the naysayers posting here I thought I better cheerlead a bit more. Leased my 2002 A6 2.7T one year ago. So far total bill for anything except gas and insurance = $0.00 period. No trouble, no shimmies, no goofy things, no problems .. BUT .. tons and tons and tons of fun to drive. I have the sports package which makes this car hug the road like a glove on my hand. I highly recommend getting one. Beats the heck out of the BMW's, cheaper as well. I had a 528i years ago, loved that car as well, but it was BIG $$$ to fix, hell it was big $$ to even look at and ponder fixing. So for all you out there wondering, just remember the rule about web-based chat boards. Other than the few cheerleaders like our friend Mark in Cincinnati, and a few others, you generally get all the complainers online.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    I have 50,000 miles on my '00 A6 2.7T and so far only 2 repairs that were not wear related. The driver's window went "off track" and the heater fan blower started to make a little extra noise and was replaced. Not bad at 50,000 miles for any make of automobile!
  • dtwleungnycdtwleungnyc Member Posts: 188
    Without knowing exactly what the financial setup you have with your company, its really hard for us to say which deal is better.

BUT, if I am the one in your situation. I might do this. Talk to your Audi salesman, and ask him to come up with a one or two year lease with the additional miles factored in. This way, you won't need to worry about extended warranty. Time the car will need to spend in the shop for the warranty work. By your estimate, you will need to bring your car into the shop for waterpump, timing belt replacement by the third year of the car, plus other potential work.

With the 2 year lease, you will only need to bring the car in for the scheduled oil change every 6 months. I have a feeling, with this arrangement, the cost per year will be very similar to what you are planning now. Food for thought.
    I agree and would add that you might consider for a moment a 30 month lease, too. The last few Audi leases I had allowed up to a 5 month early turn in "loyalty" incentive. I go the best of both worlds, a lower payment and an early turn in.

Nothing is gauranteed, mind you, but this Audi loyalty thing always seems to at least let you walk away Renee 3 months early without penalty.

Just a thought. Short term leases, forever; Cars out of warranty, never!
    no question the 2.7T is more fun from stop lights and in the twisties, but if your going to be driving with your family or on long trips across the plains of Kansas and Oklahoma, the 3.0 has plenty enough performance IMO. since this is your business transportation, do you want to risk the statistically higher repairs with the turbo 2.7? Even with a loaner while your audi is actually in the shop, the time spent taking the car in or waiting until you can get the car in for a service appointment is eating into your income-producing time.
       I dont think your going to get far with an extra milage 2 year lease from Audi Finance. They take those cars in off-lease to re-sell them as Audi-Certified used cars through their nationwide network. Lots harder to sell a 2 year old car with 50K miles at the premium they charge for the audi-certified cars. You'll probably do better through a bank. Its hard to imagine youll pay an extra $80 per month for the extra miles . Good luck.

Mark
    Mark
  • ldavidsonldavidson Member Posts: 1
    In Feb. I bought a 2000 A6 2.7T (lease return)with 52,000 miles. Live in California, car in Florida. I did this purpously thinking car probably had a cushy life in the temperate and flat environs of Florida. Also looked forward to making it a vacation and enjoying the adventure of driving coast to coast. In the middle of Kansas, the check engine light came on. Stopped at a dealer in Denver & was told I needed a new catalytic converter. Continued on to California to address this issue as Denver dealer had to order parts. California dealer diagnosed turbo failure as reason for catalytic converter failure. They had to pull the engine, replaced both turbos and right side cat. converter. Although car was out of 3yr., 50,000 mi. warranty, all but $130 of the $9,000+ cost was covered by the 7yr., 70,000 mi. emmision warranty. California considers the turbos part of the emission system and therfore requires Audi to warranty them under the emissions warranty. It is my understanding that if I resided in any of the other 49 states, I would have been liable for all except the cat. converter.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    them turbos, to say nothing of Audis in general, as regards reliability.

Mark continues to point out that these cars are "breathtakingly expensive" to repair and that one should never drive one that's not covered by a warranty.

What that really means is that I should never own an Audi. What I do is own cars. I pick one that meets my needs and wants, buy it, and drive it for a number of years (more than three), accumulating in excess of 15K miles per year.

There are cars that I can buy that won't cost a fortune to drive to 150K miles. It's abundantly clear that Audi isn't among them. Other cars in this class are.

While Mark will bring anecdotal episodes to the discussion illustrating that the "soul-less" Asian cars also break down, and that BMW, Benz & Jaguar also have failures, what I'm interested in is dollars spent per thousand miles driven outside of warranty. per make. For Mark, it's zero. What he spends per mile to cause that to happen is also an interesting number.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I've had my 2001 A-6 (2.7T w/6-speed) for 30 months and 37,000 miles and could not be happier. The car remains a joy to drive. Two unplanned maintenance items which were accomplished during regularly scheduled service intervals: a switch on the clutch needed replacement and a new display. In the case of the display I had occasional flickering on the date (assumed a loose wire). The switch on the clutch was replaced when I told the maintenance supervisor that starting the car was a bit problematic. Service from the dealer has been superb. A couple days advance schedule and I get a loaner - or for an oil change I'll take the first appointment and wait for 40 minutes or so. Coffee, newspaper, and CNN provided.

I haven't met anyone who regrets buying or leasing their A6. A friend of mine recently traded in his 5 Series for a new A6 w/auto. When he was looking I offered my car for a test drive but he didn't know how to drive a manual! Bottom line, though, is he could not be happier with the move.
    . . .on my 2.7T 03 allroad (6spd). I continue to be impressed with the engine, the handling, the amenities and the "what is that, what is it called, etc." comments.

I am hoping to put 18" wheels (RS6 replicas from achtuning) and tires (245 x 45 x 18") later this year or early 04; and I think Mintex Green brake pads all around would also be an improvement that wouldn't break the bank.

The thing I miss about this Audi compared to my last 2 is the sound of the V8 under full throttle.

Otherwise this car is as tight as can be and does everything better (with the sound as noted) than my other couple dozen Audis.

Hopefully the turbo issues that seem to crop up from time to time won't be an issue, but I will not have the car without warranty, so, to a certain extent I am unconcerned.

Apparently 2004 is the last year for the current body style, and who knows what engines will be coming soon -- hopefully there will be a 2.9T, but apparently the V8 has so many iterations that are possible (3.7 to 4.2 with turbos, like the RS 6 and many variants in between) perhaps the end of the turbos is near.

My wife's third TT (225HP 1.8T quattro coupe) also continues to impress @ 15,000 miles on the clock.

Never follow, indeed!
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    I happen to have been bye my VW / Audi dealer (briefly) this morning. The salesperson showed me an S4 (the only one on the lot – and sold) and I sat in it just for grins.

Then he showed me the (again only) RS6 they have. One of the managers was driving it as a ‘demo’. It was being washed, with the motor running. (To keep the interior cool, I expect.) the salesperson had the washer hose the suds off the driver’s side and encouraged me to sit in it. Since it had the optional ($950!) “Sound Enhancing Exhaust System”, of course I had to blip the throttle a few times. Wow. And then a few more.

Particularly with the turbochargers plumbed in the system, I was amazed at the pure V8 rap and rumble. This car may have the best sound I have ever heard under these specific circumstances. (This from someone that was having ‘glasspacks’ put on cars in the 60s – and had dual MagnaFlows installed on a 2000 Lincoln LS8 Sport.) deep, pure, not overly loud or obnoxious – but serious indeed.

I was not able to drive this beast. And I don’t know if the sound is as well engineered at full throttle, on the overrun and at high speed cruise. But if the rest of the car is anywhere near as well developed and executed as the exhaust blip, I guess I can begin to see where $80K+ went . . .

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Who still cannot scrape together over $80,000 for a new car . . . (sigh)
    2022 X3 M40i
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Hi! I drive an '02 A6Q 2.7T 6M with the sport suspension. My tires are almost worn out and I need to replace them all, after 18,000 miles. Can anybody recommend any brand they have had a good experience with? Mine came with Conti's Sport Contact2, but I don't need to buy the same, as long as the ratings are the same or better. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks to all who respond. Mario
  • minosminos Member Posts: 2
    Mario, I recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. I drive a 2001 A6 4.2L with sport package and replaced my OEM Pirelli P6000 tires with the Michelins at 18000 miles. The P6000 tires started howling at 11,000 miles with road noise. I have 13,000 miles on my Michelin Pilot A/S tires (255/40 R17) and have been very pleased with their performance in dry, wet and even snow (laughed at a few SUVs this past winter). Road noise and comfort are excellent. The tires are pricey( ordered from the Tire Rack) but I feel well worth it. Hope this helps.....Mike
  • taylorjefftaylorjeff Member Posts: 4
    I test drove a 2000 A6 yesterday and wanted feedback regarding a brake problem. When I hit the brakes in the 20 to 50 mph range there is a sound similar to what you hear / feel when going over those short series of little speed bumps you sometimes find on highway declines. The dealer said this was caused by the cars being power washed, then sitting and not being driven. Rust builds up on the brakes / pads causing the vibration. I've never heard of this before. Any ideas?

Other than that, the car drove and handled nicely.

The car is a 2000 2.7T with 6 speed manual. 40K miles. The dealer said they've had the car for awhile and it is not selling due to the 6 speed manual. He said they would take something in the low 20s to move the car.

Assuming I can get the brake issue fixed to my satisfaction, I'm interested in buying this car. Is there anything I should be checking out / questioning? I'm planning on looking into an extended warranty.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    I've been meaning to write a post on this topic for a while. I've got a non-sport '01 2.7T. It was delivered with the standard Conti all-season touring tires. About a thousand miles ago, I replaced them at about 39K. The tires I chose are Conti Extreme Contact all-seasons, which I obtained from Tire Rack and had installed by my dealer, for convenience and to avoid any possible finger pointing regarding their balancing.

I've never run max performance summer tires, and have found all-season touring tires to be acceptable for my wants and needs. While I've always liked/loved my car, I love it even more now. It has been transformed. The non-sport pre-'02 (or is '03?) 2.7T suspension is soft. Plenty of roll, and a springy feel to the ride.

I'm surprised that with the new tires, even the body roll has been reduced and the springy/bouncy movements almost eliminated. Much greater grip, BEST tires I've ever driven in the rain, just as quiet, only slightly firmer in dips and on bumps, good turn in, and precision. Only negative is that gas mileage has dropped by about 1 mile per gallon. I've yet to experiment with the tire pressure.

I suggest you visit Tire Rack's website as it has a lot of information. I was planning on getting the new Michelin Pilot all-seasons, but after comparing the price difference and the reviews, decided that the Conti's seemed to be about as satisfactory for $100 less per tire.

It seems that some people coming from max performance summer tires have NOT found these tires to be satisfactory. But for anyone wishing to run only one set of tires, and who can live with less than maximum performance, these seem to be a very desirable consideration.

One word of caution: I found it took at least 1,000 miles for these tires to break in. Before that happened, I experienced non-linear handling, which consisted of initial understeer that could convert to slight oversteer with more throttle application. I also experienced slower and less precise turn in. This has gone away, and the tires now seem even quieter. As I continue to add miles, the tires seem to be getting even better.

I recommend these tires for any A6 owner who wants a great handling and riding all-season tire, who is willing to trade off a slightly firmer ride than the touring tire, and slightly less performance than a maximum performance summer tire.
  • noshonosho Member Posts: 119
    I own one... and yes, the rotors for the 2000MY are made of soft iron. They rust in ~8 hours if wet, i.e. - drive to work in rain and the rotors will be rusted by evening when you leave. My dealer replaced the rotors & pads under warranty at 30K miles but apparently this did not occur for the previous owner of this A6. New rotors take care of the issue.
    On my 2001 A6 4.2 w/sp[ort package, I replaced the tires twice (in 36K miles). The second set was with Falken Azenis ST 115's. About $150 per tire.

Quietest tires ever. 255 x 40 x 17" same as factory size. Z rated. Handled great and seemed OK in all but the coldest part of winter (Z rated, so they like it warmer than all seasons).

I would suggest these tires for 9+ months (I live in Cincinnati and they would have been fine for all of 2002-2003 winter.

If you need all seasons, these are not for you.

If you really need winter tires, my current tires, Pilot Sport A/S are barely OK. If you live where the winters are "moderate" these all seasons are perfect and my next tire will either be 245 x 45 x 18" Conti Extremes (thank you Tim) or the Falken's mentioned. tirerack or tires (both .coms) will get you the one you need.

Conversely, Pirelli 6000's and 7000's are, well, hmmm, if they were free they'd be too expensive. . .does that get the message across?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I had these put on my (previous) A4 and they seemed fine at first, but after about 2000 miles the noise level was unbearable. Based on my experience I would not recommend them.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    Joel, I think the all-season Conti Extreme's I got may be different than those of your experience. You mentioned putting them on an A4 you used to own. How long ago was that? My impression is that this tire version is still pretty new. With 2000+ miles on them, my tires are still just as quiet as the OEM Conti touring tires I replaced, and are among the quieter I've ridden on.