Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The steering column issue you report is about $1,400+ I know, I had the same problem with my 2001 A6. Fixed under Audi advantage without issue.

Your brake issue, too, is common -- and it will be expensive if you have to pay for it. This should be warrantied.

If you plan to keep the car, you can BUY -- yes, BUY -- Audi protection, not Audi-like protection, but Audi protection.

Audi Financial Services:

Audi Pure Protection Extended Service Contract

Audi Pure Protection Extended Service Contracts may be purchased on any Audi vehicle as long as any of the original 4 year/50,000 limited manufacturer warranty remains. Customers may choose among 3 plan levels: Silver, Gold or Platinum, with Platinum covering the most mechanical components. A variety of deductible options and terms are available with each plan. The extended service contract covers mechanical components as well as providing:

Rental Car Coverage
    Towing Coverage
    Travel Coverage
    Wear & Tear Coverage
    Fluids Coverage
    Improved Resale
    Optional Tire Coverage
    Audi Pure Protection Extended Service Contracts are available to US customers only. Please contact the Audi Pure Protection dedicated line at 877-800-0286 to locate participating dealerships.

No I do not work for anyone or any company associated with any automotive concern -- I just "feel your pending pain" -- the cost of repairing and maintaining European cars after the warranty period is "breathtaking." This is not unique to Audi. The after warranty protection is worth considering, although some folks feel that the self-warranty approach is worth the risk if the car is 100% paid for.

That is -- assume the price of the car on a monthly basis (for the use of the car) is $500 per month (it should be less on a 2001, but just go with the spirit of the calculations for a moment).

Since there are NO car payments on your 2001, you can effectively self-insure by paying into a "warranty savings account" $500 per month. The concept is (BGO blinding glimpse of the obvious) that you will hopefully never average anywhere near this amount in repairs and maintenance. But if you do, the "warranty" you have built up covers you.

I derived this number this way: $45K original car price. Now +36 months, residual value of the car, $20K. If you were to release the car at 0% interest, for an additional 39 months, you would pay about $500 per month. That buys a lot of maintenance and repair.

Of course if you blow the engine, you could burn through your self insruance money pretty quickly.

Most of us, therefore, spread the risk with an extended warranty, which would probably cost between $1 and $2,000 total.

In my case, I just go for short term leases, never have a car more than 2 models old and never am out of warranty. I may pay more, in my lifetime, but I always have a nearly new car and warranty.

You pay your money. . . .
  • patentcad1patentcad1 Member Posts: 69
    I realize that I 'm risking a total flame-out by posting this on an Audi discussion board. Let me preface this by saying that I am and will continue to be a big fan of German cars and automotive engineering. I am coming out of a 2001 BMW 540ia and actually sold Mercedes Benz cars for eight years from 1983-1991. I love German cars, and that's really why I'm posting this.

All THAT being said, what car did I just purchase? A 2004 Acura TL. I've owned 18 different vehicles over the past 30 years and have driven just about everything (as I mentioned I spent the better part of a decade in the car business). I opted for the Acura for several reasons:

• I don't have the $60K it would cost to replace my 2001 540ia with the 2004or 2005 version.

•Even if I did I'd have a hard time rationalizing spending twice the money for a car that in my view doesn't deliver that much value.

•While my BMW has been reliable for the first 36K miles, I am planning on keeping this new car for at least 80K-100K miles, and long term reliability is clearly a trait that cars made by Honda, Toyota and Nissan are known for.

After 500 miles in the Acura I have to say that overall it's the best car I've ever owned, and one of the best I've ever driven. Yes, it gives up some upper-limit handling to the BMW. Of course. The 540ia is still in my driveway and it will probably be the best handling and driving car I ever own. The FWD Acura is great until you start pushing the envelope and then torque steer rears its head and the party's over. But I don't push the envelope that often. And Acura will undoubtedly come out with an AWD version of the TL sooner or later that addresses those issues. In the meantime the car has blown me away with its refinement - it feels like a slightly downsized Lexus GS300 (the car I owned before the BMW) that's got better technology and is more fun to drive. Unlike the 'i-drive' system in newer BMW's the technology in the Acura is VERY easy to use and it works flawlessly just about every time. You have to experience it to believe it.

All for $32,500 WITH the Navigation System, out the door, plus tax and tags. THAT's my major point of all this: how could I hope to touch that level of luxury and comfort in a German car at that price? Audi has cars that have base pricing that belies the real cost- you invariably have to add $6-$10K in option packages to get to the bottom line. VW and BMW do the same thing. Acura? Their cars come with every conceivable feature. The only option is the excellent GPS Navigation system with an 8" touchscreen that is the best one I've ever seen in a car. So many buyers are opting for this that Acura underestimated the number of cars it had to build with Nav. Go to an Acura dealer and you'll see 10 TL's without Nav on the lot and one or two with it, if any.

In an economy where every car manufacturer's sales are down (Mitsubishi was off 60% from August of 2003 to August of 2004) Acura is setting sales records. I wish some of the other manufacturers (it's not just the Germans that do this, Toyota and the American car companies are guilty of it as well) would take a page from the Acura manual and start building their cars with the features that 90% of us want and then pricing them reasonably. Our 1998 Volvo wagon listed for over $40K, but we paid $33,000. How stupid is THAT? That's STILL what's going on - you can buy $41,000 Volvos for under $34K, because the list price is SO out of whack with the market. In the meantime the biggest discount I found on an end of the year just about leftover TL was under $3K. NOT $8000 or $9000 under list. Discounts that big tell you that the manufacturers' pricing is so unrealistic that it makes them look laughable.

I was on a VW lot last month and could have gotten $7000 off any Tourag in the place - poor market pricing at work again. Every time I see a sticker with a base price of $33K and $8K in option 'packages' added on top it makes my blood boil - and I'm pretty much done with it. Now the Germans have lost yet another customer to the Japanese manufacturers. How many more do they have to lose before they start to show some understanding of what consumers in this country want? It's pretty simple. Value, reliability and THEN performance and features. If you can't deliver the former then the latter start to lose relevancy. VW is learning that. After coming back strong on the heels of its 10 year/100K mile warranty ( to re-establish consumer confidence in its not always so reliable cars) they improved their reliability - then proceeded to cut the warranty and start building cars with bad window regulators again. What message does it send to the American public when you can't build a car that manages to keep its power windows operating once the car has 75k miles on it? Their sales figures tell you everything you need to know. Don't even get me going on that Phaeton marketing disaster (as predictable as it could have possibly been to anyone familiar with luxury car buyers, whoever thought that people interested in $90K cars would gladly shop next to $18K VW Beetle customers needs their heads examined).

My message to German car fans: you like your cars? Me too. Now if Audi, VW and BMW start building cars with reasonable pricing/features and reliability relative to the Japanese you can get me to buy them again- and hopefully some of the other customers you've lost. We haven't gone anywhere - but until you give us good reasons to return we may not. Are German cars superior to Japanese models? It depends on what you're after in a car. If I were doing hot laps at Road Atlanta with my sedan every day, sure. But I drive my kid to school in my car, so basically I'm looking for safe, reliable, comfortable - and some driving fun too. The TL manages to deliver all that. Next time I'd rather be able to buy an Audi. But I get the feeling that won't be possible if current trends continue.
    One of THE best posts, period, that I have ever read. No flames here.

My choice, this time, remains: Audi A4 3.2 and A6 3.2, Acura RL SH-AWD and Chrysler 300C AWD.

Some of the reasons you cite are the reasons for me for this list.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    What he said. Waiting for the new RL, I guess.
  • patentcad1patentcad1 Member Posts: 69
    Thanks gentleman. LIke I said. I LOVE German cars. And let's not forget that many of those wonderful safety and handling features on modern Japanese luxury cars were pioneered by Diamler Benz from 1950 through the present day. When I was a Mercedes salesman I was thoroughly impressed with Mercedes' attitude about customer safety and their interest in having highly trained sales and service personell to represent them with American consumers. Great company when I worked for them.
  • kozayurkozayur Member Posts: 5
    My dealer told me that Audi will not do voice command untill December production which means it will not be available till March 2005.
  • leonardoleonardo Member Posts: 4
    My dealer tried to put in an order for me yesterday and it bounced back. He said that the color combo wasn't available and the Nav option requires the convenience package (didn't want to the conv package). I asked for the voice command but he didn't say anything about it not being available. I better go back and check, I wanted that option. I wonder if it can be added later?
  • caslincaslin Member Posts: 16
    Quick update, 11 mths and 18,500 miles and nary a problem. What a joy, so glad I got before the turbo's and manual tranny disappeared from US market. It's a shame that the 05 3.2 is 7.1s to 60 (my wife's SUV is 7.8 for goodness sake!), and even the V8 is a tad (.1) slower than the 2.7T manual. Quickness is FUN, less quick-less fun! And think of the fun I could have If I were brave enough to chip (no turbo's, no worry about to chip or not). My car is burgandy and am constantly being asked about it. Could not be happier todate.
  • ellerphantellerphant Member Posts: 4
    Ive got a chance to get a 95 A6 quattro for 2000. It runs and looks nice, minor scratches on the body but nothing major. here is the kicker, it has 179000 miles. the lady that owns it says they are all highway miles and she has serviced it regularly.
    I love the feel of this car but i am just not sure what to expect once i own it. will it be an insufferable money pit or a sweet ride?
    Let me know what you think.
  • desrossdesross Member Posts: 1
    I have to turn in my 2001 a6 2.7T in 10 days. I currently have 20K miles on it. I want to turn it in for the following reasons; I do not drive it often, the steering and body roll is to lose; looking to see what is out there (maybe 2005 a6 4.2). more importantly my family size may grow soon!! might need a bigger vehicle to tow the kiddies---oh no..mini-van!! I do not want to turn it in because: 2.7T is fast!; I feel some comfort when my wife and kid are in the car during bad wether because it handles well (snow)! ; it is fast!--oh yeah I said that already; I only have 20k on it; friends suggest upgrading the exhaust system which will reduce the acceleration lag and new sway bars to reduce body roll. My co-worker did it to his allroad and he swears the cars has a totally different personality --for the better!!

Any opinion is will be welcomed--I only have a few days to decide
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Not really sure what you are asking for...but...if you have to turn in your 2.7T A6 in 10 days (obviously assume this is a lease) and you are looking for something at least as fast that handles better and has at least as much if not more room inside) then your choice comes down to how much money you want to spend - as it often does. How about the SUV Porsche? The MB S500 AWD? Give the board more info and maybe someone can help you more specifically. Good luck.
    Go for a 2004 A6 2.7T S-Line with all the toys you can find and don't look back.

Even though you will have to take the automatic transmission (my guess is you probably have this in your current car -- 80%+ probability), this will be a much improved and subtly refined version of your current Audi. Lease it for 39 months or if your milage will remain low, 42 months and don't look back.

Even though the sat nav system will be CD based, you will find such a car, if you can find one, will be pretty much ahead of most other cars and certainly ahead of most other cars at that price point per month.
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    Would anyone be able to guess why the 3.2FSI V6 won't be available in Australia with the new A6? Instead we are getting the old 3.0L V6, producing 160kw. It is even out powered in every way by the new 3.0 TDI.
  • kenw1kenw1 Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone know what the normal lease residuals are for Audis, on a 36-month lease? Also, do they have low mileage (8000-12000 miles/yr) leases available?
  • auditorauditor Member Posts: 63
    If so, please share with us whether 4.2 or 3.2, what
    options you added, HOW MUCH BELOW MSRP (if anything)
    you got, and how much time you expect between when you ordered and when you'll take delivery.
  • tyheyntyheyn Member Posts: 14
    I have a 3.2 coming in (Ordered 9/21, arriving 10/25), and I paid full MSRP. I tried three different dealers, and I couldn't get a discount from any of them. Somehow, I don't think you'll be getting one.

Another note: I received an e-mail from Audi on 9/20 with a $500 credit towards the purchase of *any* new Audi...couldn't use it since I wasn't taking delivery then, but might be worth signing up for e-mail notification from www.audiusa.com and then seeing if more are issued for this month/Nov. Another idea: see if there are any customer conquest discounts, etc... Or, simply push hard for a good deal on the trade in...
  • revrasrevras Member Posts: 63
    Are Audi dealers writing up lease deals yet for the new A-six. I am curious if anyone has gotten a residual figure yet for the base engine model. I have an order in but as yet have not received any info on residuals which are the most important figure in determining a lease price.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I received an e-mail from Audi on 9/20 with a $500 credit towards the purchase of *any* new Audi...couldn't use it since I wasn't taking delivery then, but might be worth signing up for e-mail notification from www.audiusa.com ....

We're seeing a lot of this in the Audi "prices paid" discussions, but delivery of these e-spiffs has been slow in some cases. So if you're even a little interested in the A6, you'd be well advised to sign up ASAP.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I thought the coupon I received said it could be used on any new Audi purchased in 2004. I have so many of these incentives, both emailed and snail mailed, I kinda ignore them.

The new A6, just like the new Chrysler and the new Cadillac and Acura will probably command MSRP for at least 15 minutes (of fame) -- then, the inevitable will happen.

I want to be able -- theoretically at least -- to actually drive the A4, A6 RL and 300C AWD on the same day -- so my decision will probably be delayed until Feb or Mar no matter what.

Who knows, by then the 300C AWD may be deeply or somewhat deeply discounted.

Furthermore, if ye be a current Audi owner, there will be "public" and "semi-private" deals avail for you -- take a deep breath. Being first on your block is pretty cool, until you realize that your payments for 36 months are higher than your neighbor who waited a minute or two after you to buy.
  • dbaumdbaum Member Posts: 2
    I got $1,250 below MSRP on a 3.2 from Rockville Porsche-Audi in Rockville, MD. I requested a quote on my configuration through their website and they offered $1,250 off as their internet discount. It was the best deal in the DC area that I could find (all others were MSRP) so I went for it. My car is expected to be delivered in December (it's a special order - nothing currently on the way matched what I was looking for).
    Since this vehicle is available, let's join other owners and enthusiasts in the ongoing Audi A6 discussion.

Purchasing experiences can be posted in the Audi A6: Prices Paid & Buying Experience for other members' benefit.

We've just added a topic called Audi Owners: Future Models where we can continue to speculate about future offerings from Audi. Thanks all!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Has anyone bought or driven the new A6 3.0TDI?
  • jgainesjgaines Member Posts: 39
    Right on brother! Last time I shopped I ended up with the TL type S because the BMW 330 was so ridiculously priced with options equal to the standard Acura-I am sorry BMW, can't I have leather seats and a CD player with my $33,000 330?? Today I drove the 2005 A6 and the 2005 TL. I realize they are different classes of cars, but I have not doubt that equally equiped the Audi will be about $15,000 more expensive which is hard to fathom.
  • coppercopper Member Posts: 94
    I can't understand how you can compare an Audi and a BMW to an Acura. There is a reason why they are $15,000 more expensive. Different class of cars. An Acura TL is for those who can't afford the higher class cars, but still want to get some luxury.
    Sorry guys - my mistake. Thanks, auditor, for pointing out that this vehicle isn't yet available in the US.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Has anyone driven the A6 3.0TDI? Or could someone please give me a link to a review on the 3.0TDI? Thanks.
    My wife and I spent some time at our local Audi dealer yesterday.

We drove a new 3.2 DSG equipped TT, a new Ultra Sport 3.0, 6spd manual A4 and the new 4.2 A6 with 18" wheels and Max performance summer tires, but not sport suspension.

I'll keep my comments to the A6 and mention the other cars in context or to make comparisons.

MMI in the A6 -- no issue, this would NOT require training. I cannot comment from personal experience about the iDrive criticisms in the BMW family. I could easily change the volume of the radio and adjust anything that needed to be adjusted without requiring Windows XP professional certification.

The car was very luxurious -- virtually eliminating the need for a short wheelbase A8, IMO.

Had I not known the car did NOT have the sport suspension I would have though it was so equipped, for it's handling was on par with the A4 Ultra Sport.

Great sound system -- wonderful bass, without being boomy. Often, this much bass is muddy, not so in the A6.

The engine, the V8 was sweet sounding and responsive -- power would not be a concern of the A6 4.2 driver.

This was a very quiet car -- very luxurious. Yet, it does have the ability to handle -- subjectively at least -- like any S6 ever made but be as luxurious as the current A8L.

I so want to drive the 3.2 version to see what the "performance" hit from the engine is.

The 6spd tiptronic is almost as good as the DSG; and, had no tip lag (but this too could come with time -- take it from one who has had three Audi's w/4.2's + 5spd autos).

Sticker: $56K, a few options.

Neat feature: a key fob that can answer the question "did I lock the car when I left it?"

My wife and I wonder, from time to time, "did I lock the car?" One glance at the Audi A6 key fob (and this was NOT the smart key) would tell you if you did or did not lock it when you last left the car.

This car compared with my current 2003 allroad, my nearly 30 year Audi experience, recent test drives of Audis, BMW's, Mercedes, Cadillacs and Acuras (2004 models all) is impressive, remarkable and -- thus far -- without peer.

I have NOT driven the new Acura RL, or the Cadillac STS AWD or the Chryco 300C AWD -- and I do want to drive the Acura and the 300C -- but, for the moment, this new A6 is THE car to beat for its balance of performance, luxury and sport. This car, for its 15 minutes, is darn near the holy grail in that it does seem to have achieved that elusive blend of refinement, luxury and sportiness that has often alluded car manufacturers at any price "mere mortals" might ever hope to afford.

The Acura, for example, MAY blow this Audi away -- I do not have any way to compare or comment at this point -- I am only saying that at this point, I know of no finer automotive accomplishment. See me in 16 minutes and I'll give you an update.

If you have the chance, drive one of these things.

Of course, I was quite hoping to drive the 3.2, but glad to have driven the V8.
    Wow, thanks for the review mark. Would it maybe be possible for you to go drive a 3.0TDI??? Just to tell everyone what it's like? Thanks.
    In the US we will get, for the time being 2 A6's. Both 6spd tiptronic ONLY and the lesser with a 3.2 FSI engine and the greater with the 4.2 "standard" fuel injection engine.

With our diesel fuel quality mandated to improve in the next year or so, I would not be too surprised to see a TDI as an '06 or early '07 model.

One other point, the new A6 is bigger -- but this increase in size is visual not tactile. The car felt light and nimble (like the A4 Ultra Sport) -- just a bit roomier than the A4 Ultra Sport.
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    Does anyone know when the A6 Avant will come to the US?

Our 2000 A4 Avant is getting a little small for our family and I am not that keen on the Allroad. I would consider the 04 A6 Avant for a good price, but these really are a bit of a rare beast around here (Wisconsin), and the '05 looks to be so much more a superior machine.

So any idea when the wagon will come here?
    Give the allroad another chance, especially the V8 version.

As far as the new A6 avant is concerned, this very question was posed to my Audi dealer over the weekend -- he said there wasn't ANY talk, yet, about such a thing.

He "guessed" it would not be until next model year.
  • 2thdoc2thdoc Member Posts: 4
    KJ- Also talked to my dealer here in Wisconsin. They aren't sure about the new Avant but believe it is being phased out since Audi makes an A4 Avant and will be coming out with the smaller but more affordable A3 soon and the A7 which is larger next year (2006 MY). IMO Don't hold your breath waiting for the A6 Avant. By the way where abouts are you from? I'm in La Crosse.
    I am on the north shore of Milwaukee. I've been looking at the A6 Avant pictures and really like the look of the Car. Its closest competitor is the new BMW 5 Series wagon and I was looking at one of these the other day in the UK (UK is big on wagons - not SUVs - and have a lot of cool mid-sized/large wagons), and really I did not think it was that big in the back seat. The A6 on the other hand is well know for its generous room in back.

We would love the A4 wagon (I would wait for the 2005 model) built its really not that much bigger than out 2000, and with an 18 month old and hopefully another child to come along in the next year of so, we really want something bigger that is not a van or suv. This would be my wife's car and she would be loathed to give up her current A4.

We wish we had bought the A6 now (we got our A4 used at the A6 is impossible to find used and was too much used). However, my wife does about 4000 miles a year, so I was wondering if a lease would make sense and let us get the A6 for similar monthly payments as we make on the A4 now.

However, I notice that you can not order/build a 2004 A6 Avant online anymore, only the Allroad which I really am not keen on (especially as the product line will die a slow death to be replaced by the A7 when it comes out).

I am sure the A6 Avant will come out here, but perhaps not until Fall as a 2006 model. That would be a shame.

Kerry
    The allroad, my one last attempt to sway your thinking, is "current" as a 2005. When ordered, TODAY, it will come fully painted and with DVD navigation (if you specify nav, of course). The vehicle fully painted looks like an A6 4.2 avant (or almost S6). The car rides great, can do many things a true SUV can do and can be had with a 6spd manual or a tiptronic.

The option packages are plentiful and the warranty to 100,000 miles that can be had [from AUDI] should allay any concerns about the trick suspension's costs. With the V8, and the standard 18" wheels and tires, the thing is an S6-lite, that just happens to ride a bit nicer.

I have a 2003 2.7T with a stick shift and every possible option plus the 18" wheels and tires (aftermarket). At 37,000+ miles, the car is tight, virtually trouble free, good looking and performs better than any A6 avant that was imported to the US.

The cool thing is, most Audi dealers seem to have two or three of them on premesis and for the reasons you cite, discount the heck out of them.

If you get one with a current build date, which means about 60 days from now, it will have most of the electronic upgrades (that all the '05's have) and the full paint option.

At lease take a lonnnngggggg test drive an an allroad V8 (that has the 18" wheels and sat radio) and who knows, you may "get hooked."

It is NOT a Touareg or Cayenne -- it is more car like, more sports sedan like.

I rest my case by repeating my plea for you to test drive one of these remarkable cars.
    My local dealer said that the current A6 Avant will still be available as a 2005 model, even though the sedan will be all new.

I'm getting a quote on this and also the allroad to see costs.

I should be able to get $750 off for being an existing Audi owner and today, I got a coupon in the email that is good for $1000 on ANY audi but only if I take delivery by November 1. Not sure if I could get our act together to move things that fast.

I tried to talk to my wife about this last night and she was not in the mood as she is still recovering from being seriously unwell last week.

I would like my wife to drive the Allroad or A6 Avant (trading in my 2001 Eclipse for a lease with reduce cap cost - is this do able?) and I'll drive our 2000 A4 Avant.

Then next year, I would like to trade our A4 for an A3 which would be my commuter car (I spend nearly 2 hours a day in the car and a 2.0 DSG A3 sounds very tempting as my best friend back home in the UK has an S3 and that is one very nice car!).

I'll let you know how it all pans out.
    The dealer came back and said that the A6 Avant will now NOT be available as a 2005 only a 2004 and he does have one in stock. Alas, he said that this would be a better "Buy" car and not lease as "residual and rates are not good". His words.

Looking more into the Allroad (sorry if this is slightly off topic but as it is at least based on an A6 - hopefully you will forgive me) I note Mark that you do not think much of the Allroad 2.7 with tiptronic. Alas while I could happily drive a manual (owned them all my life) my wife can not drive a stick and so a tiptronic is the only option. I think the 4.2 is way over our budget so that is out. The 2.7T is pushing the upper limits of our budget. Prior to this I was looking at the Ford Freestyle (never thought I would consider a Ford!!).

With that said, when we got our A4 (1.8T auto) I thought it was underpowered (probably due to the Tip sucking the life out of the engine) but my wife liked it as it meant that I could no longer throw her around in the car. Now the roads here in Milwaukee are not very challenging from a performance driving perspective so I have kind of got used to it and now kind of like its relaxed driving nature. With that in mind, and your previous comments on the 2.7T auto, would you still recommend an Allroad?

I see that Audi is doing a $479 /mo (+taxes) lease for 42 months on the 2.7T Allroad with fees and down payment comes to $23,592 on a $47,720 MSRP with $25,768.80 buy option.

I'm interested in the 2.7T/Auto/premium/heat/parktronic/rear airbag which lists at $46,020 with invoice at $42,572. I could put $9,000 up front (from trade of my 2001 Mits Eclipse) without effecting savings.

My dealer offered "Conversely the allroad is a great deal right now. For a well equipped car (leather, roof, heated seats, parktronic...) with $9000 total out of pocket the payment would be $390.73/mo incl tax. That's based on 36 months 10,000 miles annually."

Now this comes to $23,066 for only 36 months though it does include tax at 5.6% and OTR charges, which the first quote did not.

My first thoughts is that this is not a good deal. I need more details from the dealer - obviously, plus I want below MRSP (how cost to invoice might I expect - if at all?) plus I want my $1000 coupon discount and my $750 existing owner discount.

Sorry for the long winded post...
    I mean no disrespect to anyone who has some kind of disability that would cause them to be physically unable to drive a stick. Having said that, I ask -- with my willingness to say "never mind" on account of an INABILITY to drive a stick -- has your wife ever driven a stick? If the answer is no and there is any interest in learning something, a new something that most find fun, rewarding and according to my wife "THE best way to improve control and safety (on top of it being fun)" -- I urge you to attempt to have her learn to drive a stick.

Now, having said that and hoping that she would be a good sport, you need to understand that YOU cannot teach her, indeed you must not be in the car when the salesperson takes her out -- most dealers have someone with the patience of Job who actually "lives" to indoctrinate newbies into the "shifting" world.

If this is NOT for some reason even plausible, well, at least I tried. A 2.7T 6spd manual allroad with the "premium" package will be affordable, I am 99.999% confident of that. Moreover, there are probably one or two of these thusly equipped cars "in the system" and they will be, for the reasons you cite, "less popular" and therefore more affordable -- and insofar as the lease is concerned, the lease calculus will not discriminate and YOU will be the beneficiary.

I remember, and I say this with no pride, my almost refusal to have the training wheels taken off of my bike when I was but a mere lad -- this "no stick shift" issue, IMHO, is the same. Only if she is unable to drive one of these babies, should there be a conciliation on your part.

This is NOT a man or woman thing -- this is a "FUD" thing (fear uncertainty and doubt) -- I have NEVER met a person who doesn't get hooked on stick shift cars (especially high zoot German cars) once they get over the initial "never been there, never done that" mind set.

The allroad is, thus far, a car that I cannot praise highly enough. It is just NOT anywhere near as much fun with the tip.

No stress, no pressure -- let her learn and experience it for herself, without your critical eye. Who knows, you may have a convert lurking inside your wife.
    Alas - can't and won't.

She had never tried a manual before marrying me. Once we were living together, she tried to drive my car. Unfortunately my Eclipse has a fairly brutal clutch. After much trying she gave up and now will not even consider a stick. Lets just say that she does not have the patience for it anymore - and to a certain extent, never have I any more.

Personally I would love a true auto manual like the DSG, but I'll have to wait for the A3 for that (TT not practical in our family anymore - which is a shame as I really wanted a TT and would have bought one in 2000, but the dealer just could not get hold of one fast enough at the time, so I ended up with the Eclipse).

Kerry
    Well then, go for the tip version of whatever Audi A6 based vehicle you can find -- under no circumstances will it be a "bad" vehicle. The allroad with the 2.7T will be capable, comfortable and somewhat less quick with the tip. That is hardly meant to suggest that it will be a slug.

Knowing the chances of needing, "needing" to drive a stick are rare, this last ditch attempt is my hail Mary: isn't it possible that there could be an instance where one would need to drive a stick?

When you rent a car in Europe, for instance, it is typical that they come with a stick, unless an automatic is specified -- this one is more of a want than need situation, I'll grant. How about the need to drive a car in an urgent situation and the only car available is a stick (the "first aid argument")?

Oh, heck with it -- my wife is EXACTLY the same way, she CAN drive an auomatic, but REFUSES to do so -- she will go out kicking and screaming. We took the TT DSG out this weekend, and she thought it was "the best auto ever" -- but it was still an auto. A fact she immediately reminded me of when we went from the DSG TT to the A4 3.0 quattro Ultra Sport 6spd manual.

Whaddya gonna do? My vote is "keep her" and be real low pressure on the auto vs stick thing.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Well, I was able to spend about 20 minutes in a new A6 4.2 at lunchtime today.

I will try to post impressions by tomorrow.

Any specific questions?

Very interesting drive.

Also - anyone near Atlanta can contact Jim Ellis in Marietta and arrange a test drive. My understanding is that this vehicle is specifically for test driving.

- Ray
    Reminded that VW / Audi (Porsche?) are the only current suppliers of automatics with a 'kickdown' switch . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • newfienewfie Member Posts: 3
    Have been seriously looking at the new A6 thinking that the RL might not be up to par, but after reading Edmund's first drive review, the RL is now getting more serious consideration. I wonder if their 05 RL comparison was with an 04 A6 or 05 A6. Any thoughts or comments out there.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    It was the 2004 A6. I'm not sure, but I heard it was the 3.0 CVT one as well. Not a very fair comparison vs. the 2.7t AWD which would have been more comparable IMO or even better with the C6.
    Impressions:

The 4.2 is certainly a jewel of a motor.

I had a few issues (details separately) with the 6 speed Tip. behavior – but the acceleration available would likely satisfy anyone.

The interior is up to Audi standards of comfort and fit / finish. The front driver’s seat was immediately comfortable, and there is room for me to sit comfortably behind myself (6’ tall) in the rear.

The 6 disk player carves a significant chunk of space out of the glove compartment – and it is not very large to begin with.

Handling in moderate driving is as I expected, having previously driven a last generation A6 4.2. Little reminder that all wheels are driven – except that the steering was a bit less communicative (‘dead’-er?) than I expected. Front weight bias is reasonably well masked.

Ride with those 18 inchers is firm. Certainly not uncomfortable, for me. As it was raining lightly, I did not fetch my gauge and check the tire pressures.

The MSRP on this vehicle with a few options (18” wheels with 40 series, all season Conti tires, cold weather package, voice recognition, sun shades - and no NAV?) was approx $53.7K. Odd to see the screen for the MMI – but no navigation display functionality.

Pricing comments: Good to see 18” wheel / tire package as a stand alone option - $1,000 I think.

Comparing this to a 2005 STS V8 I drove recently is interesting, price-wise. The 1SF Option Group STS (approx. $58K list) utilizes 17” wheels (not 18” – for some, that may be a good or bad thing), but includes Magnaride, includes their DVD based NAV system, includes ventilated (as well as heated) front seats, even a heated steering wheel. If one removes a requirement for AWD from the equation (and I understand that some must have this) I think one can equip these 2 similarly – and if the STS can be had (now or later) with the discounts typical of US Brand luxury makes, the STS would likely cost a similar amount – or even be a bit cheaper – TMV / OTD.

EPA highway = 23. (City = 17) RPM at cruise in 6th gear seemed right where I’d hoped – low enough that I am surprised at the 23. I’d expected (hoped) to see 25 or more. At least the A6 4.2 has a 21 gallon fuel tank. (STS has 17 or 17.5.)

Question:

Ventilated seats – I do not see this on the 2005 A6 4.2 Order Guide the dealer provided. Are these available, stand alone or as part of an option group / package?

- Ray
    Thinking a drive in the coming (2006 / 2005.5?) A4 3.2 Tip – or DSG??? Will be worth the wait – before reaching a final decision . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I have driven an 8 cylinder sedan w/Tip. for over 20K miles. (OK, it was a 5 speed Tip. - in a VW, Passat W8 w/4.0L, but still. . .) Point here is that I am somewhat familiar with the Tip. Again, the A6 4.2 acceleration was certainly acceptable. The V8 has both TQ and HP to spare in any driving condition I can think of. But the Tip. behaved very strangely during my drive. 2 things stood out as anomalies, compared to me previous experience.

1 – The new, improved 6 speed Tiptronic trans. quite was slow to respond – meaning that the shifts were acceptable, quick and firm but well cushioned, but the delay between request (lever moved forward – or back) and the initiation of the shift was much longer than I expected. And much longer than the 5 speed Tip. in my W8 ever did. Though the actual shift speed and quality were both improved over my W8.

2 – The trans. did not want to upshift at WOT until redline, regardless of how many times I banged the lever. This is how the most recent BMW 3-Series manumatic (that I have driven) behaves, but NOT what my experience with the Tip. led me to expect.

Comments?

- Ray
    Bewildered . . . (one step beyond confused)
    2022 X3 M40i
  • jgainesjgaines Member Posts: 39
    I hear what you are saying, but its not just what you can afford but value for the money. No doubt the TL's handling cannot match either the BMW or the Audi, and the fit and finish is also of slightly lower quality. The issue that I am struggling with is whether the significant added cost is worth it. I am going to test drive the a8, 5 and 7 series bm and the 05 RL shortly (already drove the a6 and tl). I expect that the Acura will be fully equipped for the price and the Germans will require significant options.
  • a4drivera4driver Member Posts: 11
    Kjnorman. I do not know where you are in Wisconsin, but up here in MN we have eight 2004 A6 avants in stock. Let me know if you have any questions about them. Also, the new A6 avant will be available approximately a year from now. Production has ceased on the current wagon leaving a limited number in national inventories.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    Interesting exchange on A6 versus Acura. When I was making my decision (2001) I did a comprehensive side-by-side comparison. Same wheel base and other dimensions, leather seats versus seating surfaces, Quattro versus front wheel drive, and so on. There was a substantial price difference but it was worth it. Acura is a good choice, just not my first choice.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I have to agree. The luxury cars are more and more difficult to differentiate between "levels". For instance, the new A4 has a very similar body to the A6, just smaller. It will have the same engines, and most all of the amenities. Why then would one pay $10K more for a slightly longer car? It used to be that the mid-level luxury cars had more features, more luxury, etc... i.e. you paid for the privilege to have the latest and greatest. That's not the case anymore IMO.
    Thank you for the tip.

I actually got a good lease quote on an Allroad, good discount off MRSP, plus $1750 off on Audi incentives ($750 existing Audi driver + $1000 coupon good to Nov 1) and a decent residual.

I took the details to my wife (as it would be her car) and she though she likes the car she wants to review other options first but does not want to be pressured into deciding in such a short time. Her reason, too much to do before the holidays. So, I guess we'll look again after the holidays, and knowing my luck the Audi incentives will be gone and I'll be $1750 poorer. :(

Who knows, with my current success rate in getting my wife to look at cars, the A6 Avant will be her by the time we buy. :( and :)

Kerry
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    The $1000 dollar coupon you received, was it good towards an '05 A6?
    I have a feeling it was not. I know that Audi is giving on the new A6 a $500 incentive and a two month rebate on lease extension. I assume next month Audi will have better lease and incentive packages to promote the car.

Just drove a '05 A6 4.2 with 18" wheels and I was amazed. The car was a dream to drive. Wherever you pointed the car it effortlessly went there. A much more comfortable drive than the previous A6's. The new larger size is just right. The V8 is very throaty and strong, just a little bit slow off the start but then kicks in.

I did not push it hard when maneuvering, but I'm sure it will handle better than previous A6's. I felt no understeer, again point it in any direction and it goes there. Steering had a new feel to it, almost a dead on center feel to it when driving straight ahead. I'm sure the 18" wheels contributed a little bit to that. Brakes were amazing, no more low and mushy pedal. MMI looked great and Nav was very responsive, processor was fast. You could zoom in and out real fast. The new interior is distinctly Audi yet looks different than the older look. More like an A8. I liked the road feel of this car better than the A8L.

The V6 should be comparable to the 2.7 engine without the turbo lag. I'll test drive one when they are available. I estimate the difference in price between 6 and 8 cyl to be about $3,ooo when equally outfitted.