Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A6

Comments

• Options
    bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    SORRY, WATCH VIDEO NUMBER 2 ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    Sorry to spoil your fun, but that video was already released a few months ago.
  • Options
    mikeman2727mikeman2727 Member Posts: 4
    Today I went to the dealership and was ready to bargain for a 2004 A6 2.7 T S-line. To my surprise, when I asked the dealer to give me a quote, he gave me invoice price. I found that a little strange. Does anyone know what's going on? Is there some manufacturer to dealer incentive? Is there something I am missing? Usually when the deal is too good to be true, it is. Also, is it possible to go below invoice price? If anybody can solve this mystery, please respond.
  • Options
    coppercopper Member Posts: 94
    There is a $2000 dealer bonus from Audi.
    No mystery. You can probably get $1000 below invoice with ease. New A6's are coming in November.
  • Options
    jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    I too have a 39 month lease.

I was thinking since Audi has been buying back leases, why not lease 48 months, have even lower monthly payments and then get bought out early.

Your risk is two or three years from now, hopefully they run similar programs. I believe in the last six years, this year was the first time they offered early lease terminations.
  • Options
    Just another thing, how does MMI compare to iDrive? Aren't they pretty much the same thing?
  • Options
    mikeman2727mikeman2727 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks a lot copper. This information will really help me! Do you have anything in writing or from a website that I could bring to the dealership to get a better deal? If you do, please provide a link or additional information.
    Thanks
  • Options
    bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    The first Video or second Video? I have seen the first months ago but never the second.

Let me Know!
  • Options
    triumphbobktriumphbobk Member Posts: 25
    I've heard $2500 under invoice for an A6 S-line in MD. Thought about it but went for a Volvo S60R demo for about $6k less - very nice car.
  • Options
    coppercopper Member Posts: 94
    There's no website that lists dealer bonuses. Dealers will generally divulge this info if you bring it up. Start with (invoice-$2000) and let the dealer work it up from there. Maybe Car_Man can tell us if there is anything other than $2000 in dealer cash this month for the A6 s-line. Good luck.
  • Options
    johnejohne Member Posts: 17
    I usually prepay miles on my leases up to 18K annually, and then the overage above 18k when I go over. This increases the lease payment something like $.20/mile, or $50.00 per month.

I think where you can do well with a lease is when they overestimate the residual. Then you essentially do not take the hit on the value at lease end; the leasing company does. However, if market value is more than the residual, then you can buy the car and keep or sell it.

My 3 series, for example, on a 36-month lease, had a 58% of MSRP residual. I'm guessing that most American cars' residuals are less than 50% on a 36-month lease so the payments relative to the purchase price are higher.

The relatively higher residuals (reflecting how they hold their value) on German cars (and particlarly BMW) keep the payments down versus American cars.

Disadvantage of a lease is less flexibility and if you try to get out early the payoff is (almost?) always less than value because of little if any down payment and the initial hit on on value of new cars when they go off of the lot.

Drove a 530i. Nice car. Can't handle the styling. BMW is a performance car, but "conservative"...this is too much of a departure for me. Actually considered getting a used 03' 530i instead of an 04' before ordering an 05' A6.

Drove a G35. Too small but really fun to drive. FAST. Interior a bit cheesy. New M35 should be great if the G35 is any indication.

I've heard similar complaints about quality of new MB's...the local sales guy for BMW/MB suggested a 530i because of that.

I understand from one article that Audi is "targeting" BMW (high-performance, luxury) more than MB and hired a lead engineer from BMW to improve the handling (I'm sure that was an Audi press release!!). My sense is that the A6"s handling and ride is drastically improved. Firmer (but not too firm) is better in my book...love the handling and ride of my 330i.
  • Options
    Both videos were released months ago.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    " usually prepay miles on my leases up to 18K annually, and then the overage above 18k when I go over. This increases the lease payment something like $.20/mile, or $50.00 per month."

Hmmmm . . .
    Is pre-payment / paying per month less $$ per mile than paying overage at lease end?
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Considering leasing, when the time comes . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Since 1977 -- my first Audi lease -- probably about 12 of the 27 Audis we have had were "early outed" with assistance from Audi Financial (known as V-Crest -- or VW Financial or VW Credit for several years before Audi Financial became a sep entity). My wife early outed from a 2000 TT (24 month lease, and they wiped the slate clean after 7 months so she could get a 2001 TT 225HP with the suspension mods, ESP and the spoiler.) I early outed from my 1995 S6 for a 1997 A8 with assistance from Audi.

My 2000 A6 4.2 (on a 27 month lease) was early outed for a 2001 A6 4.2 after 16 months.

Finally, my 2001 A6 4.2 had a 30 month lease and Audi made the first payment for me.

I missed out on the 12 months lease termination deal last year, but at that time I had had my 2003 allroad for less than 18 months on a 36 month lease, ditto my wife on her 2003 TT 225HP coupe.

The deals may not move forward -- who knows what will happen. However, the economy will certainly effect these offerings in a predictable cyclical fashion (who knows, right now we may be at the beginning or end of a new round of incentives). Let's see where we are in October of this year.
  • Options
    I hope this remains true -- I have always purchased the 15,000/mile/year lease products. I have often run over the lease miles; they have "always" been forgiven when I trade the car in on yet another Audi product and keep the leasing transaction through Audi Financial.

I assume there could be a day of reckoning -- I rarely go more than 18K miles annually and, thus far, based on my experience, there would be zero benefit to prepaying milage.

This should not be taken in any way as an endorsement to or not to prepay miles. In response to the question, however, it would seem to be prudent to prepay ONLY if the prepay amount was less than the end of term amount.

So if the contract says end of term amount is $.20 per mile, I would expect the prepay amount to be AT LEAST $.02 less ($.18) per mile or "why bother?"

I don't know this for a fact, but what would it hurt if you tried to negotiate the cents per mile up front? The worst they could say is "no!" I mean, they certainly would not charge more than the lease contract amount just for asking for a discount.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    If you don't mind me asking. Did audi always take you out early without penalties?
    In 2000 or '01, I tried to switch out of a '99 A6 2.8 into a 2.7 and they were talking big dollars due to depreciation. I only spoke with the dealer, and did not pursue it further. Maybe I should have spoken with audi financial?
  • Options
    I don't mind you asking at all.

Here is the thing about the "early outs" -- dealer "contribution" may effect your results. So, the answer to your question is, I'm not entirely sure how to differentiate between the "contribution" made by Audi financial and my dealer.

Here is one that I do know: the 2000 TT. We ordered a 2000 TT (from the date of our $250 deposit until we actually got the car 14 months lapsed.)

The car that came in was a 2000 180HP quattro TT with, at the time, all options plus Metallic Black paint. We had been travelling extensively to Munich on pleasure and had been to Ingolstadt some 6 times alone and with the then named quattro club of America and we had seen the 225HP ESP equipped versions of the TT (and these versions had a different suspension calibration and a rear deck-lid spoiler -- and larger wheels and tires than the first TT we owned). Almost at the moment we acquired the 2000 TT we ordered a 2001 model.

We leased the 2000 with a 24 month lease. About 7 months into the lease, the 2001 came in. We were, so said the dealer, in need of $1,000 to make up for some "minus equity."

I went to the dealer principal and "asked" -- I did not play Hardball, I simply asked if we could get into the new TT without any up front money.

The dealer said he would take an extra $1,000 off of the price we had agreed to previously and call it square. Our new lease term was 30 months (and we went 27 months with that). We had no sec dep to pay and walked out of our 2000 lease without any upside down penalty (but there could have been one).

In this case, the demand for TT's was so high that he immediately had a buyer for the 2000 TT and although he probably could've sold our 2001 TT at MSRP, he made the decision to "knock off" $1,000 for a long-term repeat Audi buyer.

We have purchased 27 Audis from the same dealership.

So the answer is, that sometimes there have been "penalties" but that the dealer has generally made deals that wiped these out or was able to structure deals so that we could avail ourselves of every possible Loyalty Bonus from Audi Financial.

For all I know, I have paid too much in terms of my lease payments -- but the point remains that my wife and I have been, in our minds and in our wallets, treated fairly, indeed often generously. We have been very "loyal" to Audi and they have returned the "favor" by showing often extreme accommodation with respect to lease term and early outing.

I have even tried swapalease.com only to find that the dealer was able to have the same effect (i.e., outing me early) without keeping my name on the lease note.

Lots of folks here and elsewhere dis cars (not just Audis) that do not have the reliability reputations of Acura and Lexus (to name two). I am, in part due to such "dis-ing," planning on expanding my population of cars under consideration to include the new 2005 Acura RL and perhaps even the new Lexus GS in addition to -- "just for fun" -- the Chrysler 300C AWD when it comes out in a couple of months. However, despite my more "open mind" insofar as considering these other marquis is concerned, Audi as a "vendor" and partner has done nothing but try to keep me loyal to them. I have seldom seen or heard of any car company that goes to the lengths that Audi goes to, to keep its customers happy.

I may not end up, this time, with a new A4 or A6, but whoever earns my business, will certainly have to demonstrate "something" that convinces me to leave the "warm and fuzzy" feeling that Audi and its local dealership has provided since I leased my first Audi in 1977, a 1978 Audi 5000.

Twenty-six Audis later, I can attest that while hardly perfect, the reliability issue often discussed with respect to Audi is mostly bark and very little bite.

But who knows, perhaps Audi has sent me 27 "ringers" and I don't know what I'm talking about, since I've been protected from the reality of the highly unreliable Audi cars so many people go on about.

But I don't think so.
  • Options
    ctorreyctorrey Member Posts: 64
    triumphbobk -

How well did you do with the S60R relative to invoice? Along with A4/A6/S4, I am considering the Volvo as well. I heard you can get VERY good deals on these things.
  • Options
    Tonight, I visted the $6,000,000 mini-Ingolstadt grand opening and "show" of the new A6. Our long-term Audi dealer (first car purchased there in 1977) just built a stand-alone dealership and Audi showcased their new A6 (a 2005 4.2) to the select client list that this dealership has developed over the years.

Our long term sales rep said that there is NO deal better than on a new 2004 SLine A6. He said that an A4 and the Sline A6 will price out the same and that literally EVERY other Audi product he can sell today will cost more. He went so far as to say it is hard to imagine a nearly $50K car being called a bargain, but that it what it amounts to.

FWIW.

BTW the 2005 A6 which we could NOT drive, was very impressive. The sales rep commented that the A6 4.2 compared to the SWB A8 would be a tough sell for the A8, the new A6 was THAT impressive.

Now, having said that, I would HOPE that there would be reasons that the SWB A8 (with the same V8 engine) would be worth extra bucks over a fully loaded A6 -- but if you took 5" off of the A8L it seems like you would be hard pressed to pay an extra $7 or $8 or more grand over the A6 with the V8.

Not having driven them, I am not suggesting anything other than the superficial conclusions of course.
  • Options
    eduardoeduardo Member Posts: 2
    Are these the MSRP's? What would be a realistic offer to the dealers (if this is MSRP)? Would asking for invoice be too much for a new model?
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "BTW the 2005 A6 which we could NOT drive, was very impressive."

Mark -

If / when you have time, I would be interested in any other specific observations RE: the new A6.

It looks like the same sort of event (IE: 1 US spec A6 - look, but don't drive) will be held at my local dealer - in about a month.

And - have you driven a SWB A8?
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Eagerly awaiting viewings of several '05 models . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    triumphbobktriumphbobk Member Posts: 25
    ctorrey -

The dealer was very motivated to sell as they had it for almost a year. It had less than 5000 miles and I paid under 35k ($10k off MSRP). I was originally looking for an off-lease A6 w/~30k miles and test drove new and used A6s and even a 2001 S4 (very nice, but $28k), but at this price for a loaded S60R with low miles it was a no brainer. It's not your old man's Volvo - definately worth a test drive. Only downsides - back seat legroom and large turning radius (~21'). The new Rs are coming out soon so it's a good time to take one of these year old ones off their hands.
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    I am getting a free handout... literally! Somebody in the family is selling their A6 (single owner, 95 or 96, 105K Quattro). When I asked just out of curiousity, they offered to give it to me free, only thing being, I've to drive it cross country or have it picked up. I know they were planning to sell it in the 6-8K range.

Should I get it or pass?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Would you enjoy the cross-country drive? For free, what do you have to lose! :-)

And it's not that hard to get a car included on someone else's moving van if you don't want to make the drive. If you get it and at some point decide it was a mistake, you can sell it yourself or give it to a charity.
  • Options
    johnejohne Member Posts: 17
    Haven't tried to get out of a lease early, but my guess is the amount a lessee is "upside down" gets rolled into the new purchase price/lease payment somehow. The better the car holds value, the less "upside down" a lessee would be. Also, less likely to be so upside down towards the end of the lease term.

On my current car, the prepaid miles are at $.20/mile and the miles (over allotted miles) cost $.25/mile at lease end...thus the answer to the inferred time value of money questions above. Also, BMW credit will pay you back for unused miles at lease end if you do prepay them. It still doesn't make sense to oversubscibe because then the lessor has your money for "free" for the lease term.

I don't know what Audi's pricing is in prepaid versus lease-end miles but it wouldn't make sense (other than for budgeting purposes, perhaps) to prepay miles at the same rate/mile at which you would have to pay the overage later. If they're the same...then do a 10k mile lease and write a big check or roll into a payment on a new car at lease end.
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    i do love cross country drives, done it many time and thoroughly enjoyed each one of them, whether rushed or not.... the question is, am i buying myself a white elephant that will kill me on maintenance.... i'm otherwise really looking to buy a brand new car, something like the upcoming RL...
  • Options
    hjcanterhjcanter Member Posts: 31
    You mention that the "leasor" has your money for "free" for the lease of the term. If you KNOW, and that is a key word, that you are going to go over your miles, you are better off to get them at $.20. You are saving 20% from the end cost or another way would be your cost would increase by 25%! Unless you are a great investor, you will not beat that return in the short run. We all must pay the piper some day!Just my observation.
  • Options
    ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Definitely pass. Just tell me where I can pick it up :)
  • Options
    I wish I could tell you how the new A6 4.2 quattro drove -- no one was allowed to drive it that night.

The sales people did have some wheel time, and my long term sales rep said it was a Not too mini-A8, perhaps almost an A8 SWB.

I cannot comment on anything pertaining to the driving dynamics.

All that you have heard and read about the car looking different in person, is fundamentally true. The trout mouth effect is in 2D only, in the flesh, so to speak, the car looks well proportioned and the snout does not stick out, IMHO.

Having said that, the interior is another Audi Jewel, the fit and finish overall are of course darn near perfect -- in fact I could find zero flaws in this Euro spec'd (but apparently fully loaded) A6 4.2. The sound system is much improved over the current gen, but I could not test the Sat Radio and the DVD navi was totally European, so I programmed it for Verona Italy, but since we were parked inside, I could not tell how the system responded except to say the MMI was easier than anything MicroSoft or Apple has ever dreamed of in terms of ease of use.

I cannot comment on iDrive, so I am NOT saying anything that could be taken as a comparison. The mixture of knobs and software switches seemed virtually intuitive. So I will just leave the comments at that.

The trunk opening appears smallish, but the thing certainly appears as if it could swallow a lot of luggage, golf bags and perhaps other odd sized stuff -- but it is not to be confused with any sport ute in this regard. The trunk space is, in a word, ample!

The switchgear is all totally high zoot, soft and damped, the windows go up and down silently and swiftly. The dash appears easy to read and I didn't have to ask where any control was or what any switch or dial or gizmo was, it was so easy to figure out.

The 18" wheels and 255 wide tires on 40 aspect ratio tires looked purposeful and the seats, sport seats in this model, were comfortable and supportive, some with wider bums may prefer the comfort seats -- I have never had any issue with either, the side bolsters are there for a purpose, but it is so seldom anymore that I get into a situation where I need to be held in place while I negotiate that last S turn around the track -- I275 has so few curves that is.

This model did not have the air suspension but I suspect it did have the sport (slightly lower) suspension.

I saw the official order guides for both engines -- and a sport package is on both. All packages or options are available on both cars, apparently the biggie is that the 3.2 cannot be had with a power steering column but the 4.2 will have it.

Further, some options on the 3.2 are standard in the 4.2.

The price will be "base" at $40 until January then it will go up by $3K. The Premium pack is exactly $3K so I posed the question, will ANY come without Premium pack, and the answer was ONLY if ordered without it by a specific customer.

I posed the question and go no answer "well, then, is the $3K uplift in price implying that the car will come with the so called Premium Package" as standard in 2005 (January forward)?"

The sales rep said that would not be an unreasonable approach, but that some people would be a little miffed if they "fell for 'false' price increase" after 3 months.

Impressive, spacious, but, typical Audi -- understated. The car, although certainly a Premium Class Car appears to be more sporting than lux oriented, more for the driver -- this is probably what they intended, since their stated target is BMW not Mercedes.

I don't yet know how this compares or will compare with a similar sit but not drive in a new Acura RL.

I didn't put my name on the list -- I am certain that like every other HOTTIE, the price will soften within a few months after the arrival of the first cars.

Too many times, I have "been the first on my block" to get the new Audi only to find those that followed 4 or 5 months later got more features and a better deal (late arrival features or delayed introduction functions and features especially in the first gen kind of thing).

I can place my order in early '05 and probably get XACTLY what I want -- and, who knows, if inventory is what they say it will be (150 cars) I may be able to get what I want without ordering -- now that will be a first!

Overall, with the qualifier "no test drive" I was impressed.

Now let's see what the Acura has up its sleeve!

TTFN
  • Options
    . . .btw, a fully loaded A6 3.2 can be configured with all options except sport seats and uprated leather for $51,550. Assuming a modest disount, I would venture that the car will be about $48,550 street price. This may or may not sway anyone to do anything if they are Audi lovers or bashers -- but the rumors, apparently of sky high prices are just that. So configured, and using LIST PRICE, this new A6 would be little more than a current model 2.7T S-Line and have, to my eye, more features or better features. Apples to apples the new A6 seems to be about the same bucks as the outgoing S-Line (at MSRP, not at the current deep discounts off MSRP).

Haven't figured out the comparo with the 4.2, but I suspect this will hold true.

Seems like the feared rapid rise in MSRP hasn't happened.

This is a good thing, eh?
  • Options
    langelange Member Posts: 2
    Just got done visiting the local Audi and BMW dealers here in Heidelberg, Germany. Was debating about buying either the 2005 A6 or 2005 530i. After I spent about 20 minutes in each car alone and with the dealer going through most of the controls, my overall impression was that the Audi had the better interior. The 530 seemed angular and boxy, a teutonic tank compared to the smooth oval form of the A6 cabin. I thought the Audi instrumentation was better too. The BMW seemed sparse in comparison. Both had a solid feel to the doors but the Audi seemed to close with less effort. Audi had more passanger room in the back seat as well. As far as the iDrive vs MMI comparison, the iDrive worked with a side to side motion whereas the MMI was a rotary knob. I suspect either is easy to operate with a little practice. The Audi had a very quick navigation system, maps appeared in seconds. The dealer asserted it was the fastest in the industry. He also told me Audi in Germany assumed it would sell 10,000 A6s so far but had sold 18,000. The front of the vehicle and the grill is aggressive. It swoops down giving it a shark-like profile. By comparison, the only word that came to mind with the BMW, especially after I had spent time inside, was again, boxy. Overall, my personnal preference is for the Audi.
  • Options
    prodoze1prodoze1 Member Posts: 5
    Can you order the 4.2 2005 A6 with adjustable (MMI) suspension like the '04 A8L ?
  • Options
    gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    Ok....Leased a 2001 A6 2.8. Trasnferred to my sister, and purchased my dad's 2000 A8 about a year ago. The A8 has 80k miles, extended warranty through 100k (though VERY limited, it seems), and recently went through 1k or what otherwise could be termed minor servicing and maintenance.

So....while waiting for the new A6's to come out I ran across what seemed to be a very nice lease deal for the A6 2.7 S line. $429/month. Granted, 10k miles would kill me, and there was a decent amount down (my 2001 lease, all I did was pay first month).

Here's my question- can I negotiate this lease deal? If I went in and offered to pay that $429 (plus tax, etc.), but give me 15k miles a year and show me "audi loyalty" by knocking off some of the cap cost?

Lastly, I have a trade-in. Never traded in before on a lease- always a purchase. Ideally I could take the $ from the worth of my car (somewhere in the mid-teens I think but haven't checked recently since I was going to wait for the new A6's) and use it to pay down a lease. But I know that is not how the dealership works- what are my options there?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Nuvolari,
    (isn't that what the Audi folk are calling the new 'snout' ?) Anyway I'm almost certainly going to order a 4.2 and am curious what the inherent difference is between the two (4.2 vs. 3.2) and what were your driving impressions on Aug. 10/11 ? I use to live in SoCal but am in Memphis these days.
    Appreciate the feedback.
    Prodoze
  • Options
    Sorry auditor Bob that I didn't let you know I received the faxed sheets. They were a bit tough to read but appreciate your effort

Prodoze
  • Options
    Auditor Bob,

Would the sport seats be a bad idea if you (me) wore a 48L sportcoat ? Would the 'wings' not fit my shoulder width ? (make sense ?) Also, I heard the regular suspension was pretty tight. The sport suspension must be brutal.

Prodoze
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Prodoze,

It's my understanding that the adjustable suspension won't become available until next year. I have also heard that the regular suspension is quite tight (as per Audi it is over 35% tighter than the old series).

My personal experience with test driving the 3.2 version was that it was tight without feeling every bump on the road. I felt in control of the car with rapid response and not too cushioned (unlike a Lexus drive) yet the drive also felt comfortable. Sometimes when driving a sports car, you feel too much, almost painful to drive over a rough road...this was not the case. Obviously, I liked it. Likely not as sporty or responsive as a BMW, but also not as soft or cushioned from the road as a Mercedes. Just my opinion FWIW.
  • Options
    auditorauditor Member Posts: 63
    Prodoze:

The best way to tell about the sport seats for someone your size would be to sit in them. Even a 2004 A6 sport seat would give you an idea of how comfortable or uncomfortable they'd be for you.

From all the browsing of various Audi web sites I've done over the past few months I, too, have heard initial reports that the new A6 regular, i.e. non-sport suspension, is quite harsh, even "flinty." But, I've also read that Audi is trying to make the regular suspension less harsh before U.S. spec. versions are sent here.

If harshness (or lack thereof)is of concern to you (as it is to me since I live in Center City Phila.), your best bet would be to test drive new A6's both with and without sport suspension.

In my case, I'm so concerned about avoiding a harsh ride in my city, that I intend to drive new
    A6's both with the regular suspension and the forthcoming adjustable suspension to see which is better for me before I order a new A6. I'm leaning toward the adjustable suspension, since that might give me more comfort in the city and the option of lowering the suspension (to make it more sport-like) when I'm out of the city. Might not be as stiff as sport suspension, but would probably be stiffer than the regular suspension.

Hope this helps.

Bob
  • Options
    jobanejobane Member Posts: 1
    Hello A6 owners! Old specs are available at www.audiworld.com

I have a '99.5 A4 2.8 quattro, sport package, with 49K miles and love it! For going up to the mountain (volunteer Ski Patrol) I use studless traction tires (Bridgestone Blizzak) - a breeze (I put them on in Nov and take them off in Mar).
    However, the new 2005 A6 looks really good so I may take a look at it...

I appreciate all your experiences and insights.
  • Options
    It was NOT in the "official" order guide.
  • Options
    The chassis stiffness is said to be 34% stiffer than the outgoing A6. Typically with no other suspension changes, the ride would in theory actually feel more compliant.

However, it is possible that suspension changes could "tighten or stiffen" the ride which would be independent of the chassis stiffness.
  • Options
    ctorreyctorrey Member Posts: 64
    Gold -

A couple of quick lease tips:

1. Of course you can negotiate the lease. Actually, you will be negotiating the "Capitalized Cost" of the vehicle, which is the same as the negotiations if you were buying the car. Second, the "Money Factor" or interest rate for the '04 S Line is currently .0001 (multiply by 2400 to get the APR) through the end of August, which in incredible. If the lease is through AFS, don't let the dealer pad it to make some back end profit. The final componenet of the lease is the "Residual Value". This cannot be negotiated.

2. As far as the trade goes, it is a terrible idea to put ANYTHING down on a lease (aka "cap cost reduction") and this includes trade ins (I can tell you why if you'd like). My advice would be do negotiate the value or your trade and have the deal cut you a check. Or sell the vehicle outright.

3. The $429 isn't bad, but since you shouldn't put any money down (see #2), the monthly payment will go up. The S Line can be had for $1500-$2000 BELOW invoice (there are incentives), so sharpen negotiation skills. I am in the market for one of these and I have calculated a payment of about $525 for 12k miles/year & a 36 month lease. This presumes a $48k MSRP, a negotiated cap price below invoice, and includes MA sales tax.

4. Read some of the info regarding leasing here in the edmunds web site. They have tons of info/tips.

Good luck!
    Good
  • Options
    Has anyone driven both the 3.2 FSI Quattro and the 4.2 Quattro? Is there a big difference in power when you drive it?
  • Options
    bmwloverbmwlover Member Posts: 9
    hey merc 1,
    i was on vacation in Switzerland and i saw the new 2005 A6 is looks great... the grille is awesome!... interior wise its great
  • Options
    THE INFORMATION, BELOW, IS BEING POSTED HERE IN THE HOPE THAT THOSE WHO READ IT WILL CONTACT THE AUDI DEALERS OR SOURCES THEY KNOW AND TRUST TO LEARN IF IT IS ACCURATE (EITHER IN WHOLE OR IN PART) AND, THEN, TO LET ALL OF US KNOW WHAT THEY'VE LEARNED:

1. This past Thursday (8/19/04), one of the Audi dealers I've been talking to (for months) about buying a new A6 called to tell me that he'd just learned that MSRP's of ALL U.S. spec. A6's PRODUCED AFTER 12/31/04 would increase by $1,000. To avoid that price increase, he suggested I firm up my order by the end of October.(Both he and the other Audi dealers I've spoken to in the past few months all told me it usually takes 3 months from the time an order is placed till the car is delivered to its buyer).

2. Yesterday (8/21/04), I spoke with the 2nd of the Audi dealers I've been talking to regularly and was told that (A) the MSRP's of all the new A6's will go up by (at least) $1,000 once dealers are able to
    order cars for their "stock" inventory, i.e., after cars ordered by customers at the initial MSRP's of $40,900 (for the 3.2) or $50,500 (for the 4.2) have been delivered (which will most likely occur before 12/31/04); and (B) that PRODUCTION of U.S. spec. A6's has not even begun yet and, further, may not start for another month or more!! That dealer then said that they didn't expect to receive their 1st A6's (on "sold orders") til late November/early December 2004.

3. I believe it would be helpful to all prospective
    buyers who want to place their order to avoid any future price increase to have accurate information about when during the alleged 3-month "waiting period" between ordering and taking delivery a car is actually manufactured. I was unable to get a clear answer on this, i.e., my 1st dealer implied the car is made about 60 days after being ordered, and it then takes 30 days to get to him; but, my 2nd dealer implied a car might get produced in 30 days, be shipped to the U.S. by day 60 and then sit around "at the port" for another 30 days. The 2nd dealer also implied A of A may be holding off on bringing in the new U.S. spec. A6's because of the quantity of unsold 2004 A6's still in dealers' inventories.

AGAIN, ANYTHING ANYONE CAN FIND OUT AND CONTRIBUTE TO THE GENERAL KNOWLEDGE OF ALL OF US WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
  • Options
    Mark, auditor, or any Audiphile

I'd like to order my 2005 A6 with sycamore wood trim like in the A8L but I heard from a dealer here that walnut and beige birch are the only choices. Anybody hear differently ?
  • Options
    Prodoze:

I just relooked at my copies (dated 6-July-2004) of the 3.2 and 4.2 order guides for the 2005 A6 both of which only show Walnut and Beige Birch as interior
    wood trim choices.

When you next speak to yur dealer please run by him the issues I raised in post #373, above, and let me/us know what you find out.

Thanks,

Bob
  • Options
    First, take a deep breath.

OK?

Here is what I have heard from the Audi sales rep, the Audi sales manager and the "Audi marketing rep:"

1. The initial price of the new A6 will be whatever it is (98% substantiated $40,900 for the 3.2, for example.)

2. The price will increase after 90 days (Jan 2005?)

3. The base price target is $43,900.

4. The Premium Package costs exactly $3,000.

5. A "brand new" model that is popular, from ANY manufacturer, generally commands 100% of MSRP sometimes even more (remember the Chrysler PT Cruiser and the Cayenne and the Chrysler 300C, to name a few?)

6. Audi of America wants to have the vast majority of its cars sold at the retail level from IN STOCK inventory -- note, of the nearly 30 Audis my wife and I have purchased, we have only purchased one from off the lot (we must be in the tiny tiny minority).

=========

Add, subtract, multiply, divide, factor or perform any manipulation on these data points that you wish.

==========

Please consider the possibility that the price you will pay in the first few months will be close to MSRP regardless of what MSRP is.

Also consider the possibility that after the initial roll out, that the car will be discounted like, er, um -- almost any car -- no matter what its pedigree and no matter what its price point.

OK, now exhale.

===========

Consider the possibility that Audi, who has done this EXACT same thing before, may offer the new A6 sans Premium Pack on day 1, then on day 91, will include the Premium Pack in the base.

Six of one, half dozen. . .etc.

If you want to read the postings from, say, the past 18 months for new cars -- you've come to da right place, Edmunds.

Read and read and read and read and you will see that time after time a new car comes out and is sold for "sticker" and within 2 to 6 months the price that is paid virtually plummets, regardless of the MSRP. Cap cost reduction in leasing terms is a normal and standard and predictable course of events.

The Audi A6, despite my passion and loyalty for the brand will, with 99.999% certainty follow this pattern.

I have seen nothing that suggests otherwise.

The WORST that will happen is that you will purchase your fully loaded A6 3.2 with an MSRP of $51,550 for X% of MSRP early on or some fraction of X% a few months afterwards.

It's always been this way, probably always will.

Here are some things to think about:

1. early on in a new model run, PTF's are made "regularly & frequently"

2. when a new MODEL YEAR, but not necessarily a new MODEL comes along, the lease prices are often less, due to the residual factor

3. when a model year is coming to an end, the CAP COST declines, but so does the residual factor

4. often in a new model year, new features and functions (and PTF's) are "delayed availability"

Pay your money and take your choice.

Oh, keep breathing. . . .
  • Options
    Mark:

As you may recall, I also mentioned in my post #272 on July 15th that I'd heard from one of the Audi dealers I'd been talking to that the base MSRP of the 2005 A6 3.2 would go up to $43,900 by 90 days after launch, e.g. by Jan. 2005, but I was also told at that time it would increase by $1K a month over 3 months to get to that amount. More recently,
    that dealer has not repeated the $1K a month deal.

The reason I was asking in my post #373 yesterday what others have heard more recently is the slight
    inconsistency between two of the dealers I talk to
    regularly about both the amount and timing of the
    MSRP increases. Maybe, when you next talk to your Audi info. sources, you could just get an update on
    when they now expect any MSRP increases to be effective.

Like you, I also have only bought cars ordered with the spec.'s and options that I want. So, when you next speak with your contacts, maybe you could also get a view on when during the 3 months between ordering and delivery a car is usually actually made, since there's a chance that the timing of ordering may be able to be done before an MSRP increase is effective.
    Thanks,

Bob
  • Options
    How does the new 3.2FSI compare to the old 2.7T in performance? Does it feel as fast?