Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Bob,

My gut agrees with you and perhaps if this is appropriate, "feels your pain." Practically speaking, however, my brain is telling me that "it don't mean a thang!"

I have spec'd a 3.2 out as I would equip it, and order if none were available as I want it in the color I want. My target MSRP is $51,550.

While I am not particularly impressed (or turned off) by Audi's potential to have introductory pricing followed by a price hike, I really doubt if it will effect the cap cost or monthly lease payments -- so I can't get too excited about the introductory price of $40,900 followed by a 91 day increase to $43,900.

My intuition basically is that the discount on launch will be nearly nil and bigger than nil later. The impact, I suspect will be about the same.

My dealer believes the price will stick at $40,900 (for 90 days) and then raise to $43,900. He does not subscribe to the $1,00/mo increase theory. He neither supports nor disagrees with my belief that the Premium Pack will become standard. All he will say is that NO stock will be ordered without it unless there is a customer who wants to buy one.
    . . .spoke at some length with dealer today.

His "official" price guide says the following (this is incomplete, as I only asked for the options I personally was interested in, but, you will see, I asked for just about all of them.)

Base: $40,900 -- no mention, period "officially" from AoA of any intention to change price. However, it is an unsubstantiated rumor, so says dealer.

Packages and Options:

Premium Package: $3,000
    Convenience Package: $1,000
    Sport Package: $1,250
    Cold Weather Package:$ 900
    Sat Nav: $1,500 (includes the DVD)
    Keyless entry: $ 350
    Voice recognition: $ 350
    XM Radio $ 550 (subscription extra)
    Tire monitor $ 250
    Parktronic $ 350
    Shipping $ 720
    ===========================

The above was my personal config, the following, having "been there, done that," I passed on, although I have nothing against the sport seats (i.e., my butt fits).

Sport seats $ 500
    (no mention that sport seats REQUIRE premium leather which is $1,000) -- it used to say that sport seats required premium leather, no more.

All season tires and 18" wheel options avail IF you elect to omit sport suspension package, when you order sport pack, you automatically get summer tires.

Net net: base @ $40,900 + options, and shipping, I configured - @ $10,220 = $51,120 before any discount or deals or loyalty or this that or the other thing. Current deal is 3 months "lease out" paid for loyal Audi customer. At 5 months this gets my attention. But that's just me.

I did not ask about the 4.2 -- having had three of them, and loving them, BTW, I cannot imagine keeping them full of fuel at $2.50 to $3.00 a gallon (coming soon I'll bet). Moreover, even the 3.2 should out accelerate the vast majority of cars, and while there is nothing like a quicker car, well -- traffic being what it is, I just can't see another $5,000 for a one second improvement 0 - 60mph. If I want this kind of boost, I'll probably consider an A4 with 3.2 and a stick shift as a more reasonable alternative unless or until the S4's siren song pulls me in!

End of slight update.

P.S. Just because there is no AoA "official" document mentioning the 91 day price increase doesn't mean it ain't so!
  • gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    ctorrey- thanks for the info/advice.

Well, I've gotten a quote for $605 on a 36 month/15k lease for a car with an msrp right below 49k. Cap cost is a shade below invoice. I LOVE the vehicle, and might jump in. However, my issue is liquidating my current A8. No chance I'll do it at dealer now, since with my mileage they are really hammering me.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Markcincinnati,

That's almost the same options I would chose. The only change would be to delete the voice. I have heard nothing about it and am suspicious that it would work smoothly.

I'm not sure how useful the parktronic is as well, however, it seems useful and may save the bumper a few times if it works well.

As to everyone's concerns of increasing prices, my dealer also said something about prices going up after the new year, but couldn't confirm if orders placed before the new year would "lock in" the price or if it was more related to production time. He felt the increase would be more in the $3K range but didn't cite any official sources, so take it as you will...
  • ctorreyctorrey Member Posts: 64
    Based on what I've seen, I still think you could do better than $605. With 15k miles/year, you won't get in at $525, but $550 isn't out of the realm of possibility. Good luck and keep us posted.

I'll be in your shoes in a couple of weeks, so I'm hopeful they are still a dealin'!
    You are right. $570 for a 15k, 36 month lease. Feel I am pretty solid at that #. Only have one issue- I don't like the color! I'm a black or silver type of guy, and the blue just doesn't do it for me.

There's a great black one with all the goodies except for NAV, but I'm $100 higher/month on that with another dealer. Still looking to get away from my A8, but I may simply move on the first deal where I love the $ and the car.

By the way, these are getting scarce in NJ....
    I cannot debate the voice option, other than to say I have its predecessor on my 2003 allroad and it works about 98% of the time with respect to understanding commands with NO training.

The voice activiation fuzzy logic seems to be getting better all the time.

The parktronic -- don't leave home without it. I have had it now on my last two Audis and it is very valuable, especially in tight parking situations.
  • auditorauditor Member Posts: 63
    Mark:

What do you believe or expect Voice Activation to control and how, based on your Allroad experience,
    do you believe it will work?

Bob
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    I found this on the web. Here's the link:

http://www.autointell-news.com/News-2004/August-2004/August-2004-- 4/August-25-04-p9.htm

Audi Releases Pricing on the All-New 2005 Audi A6

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Audi of America, Inc. has announced prices for its 2005 Audi A6, a new benchmark in the luxury performance segment. The latest generation of the Audi A6 combines superior driving dynamics and sophisticated technology with exceptional comfort and equipment. It is also the first Audi to reach North America that fully encompasses Audi's new design language.

Arriving in North America in early November, the A6 will be launched with two engine choices:

4.2 V8 with 335 horsepower and 310 ft. lbs. Torque

3.2 V6 FSI direct injection with 255 hp and 243 ft. lbs. torque

The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the V6 is $40,900. The MSRP for the V8 is $50,500. The destination and handling charge is $720.

At these prices, perspective buyers will enjoy the benefits of an A6 with Audi's legendary quattro (R) permanent all-wheel drive as standard equipment. Audi pioneered this technology introducing the benefits of all-wheel drive to the luxury sedan market in 1980.

After making its successful Audi production debut in the previous A6, Tiptronic(R) once again proves its special qualities in the new A6. As the A6's standard transmission, it combines the benefits of a manual gearbox with those of a geared six-speed automatic.

The new Audi A6 comes equipped with a level of features by no means ordinary even in the luxury class. Right from the start, customers will appreciate and enjoy this premium standard in the choice and qualities of materials and finish, such as aluminum or wood inlays and aluminum wheels.

Other standard features include Audi's powerful yet intuitive Multi Media Interface (MMI) with its seven-inch color display and a fully integrated radio. MMI can be further upgraded with an optional DVD navigation system and BOSE(R) Surround Sound which offers the acoustic qualities of a concert hall. Another standard feature on all A6 models is automatic dual climate control with enhanced output and optimized noise control, featuring indirect ventilation and B-pillar outlets, air quality, humidity, and sun angle sensors. The electromechanical parking brake and a light and rain sensor add a sense of comfort and security.

The car comes with numerous technical advancements including phone preparation with Bluetooth interface, a standard four spoke multifunction steering wheel, programmable daytime running lights and coming home/leaving home lights.

Active safety components include the latest generation of ESP including brake assist and Electronic Brake-pressure Distribution (EBD). Other standard safety features include two-stage activation front airbags, the Sideguard(TM) head curtain airbag system, plus side airbags and active head restraints at the front.

The range of optional equipment available in the new Audi A6 again leaves nothing to be desired. Just one example is the choice of nine exciting colors, three of which are new to Audi: Stratos Blue Pearl Effect, Canyon Red Pearl Effect, and Dakar Beige Metallic.

The driver of the new Audi A6 is rarely required to hold the car key in hand the conventional way. A new feature to North America is Audi's optional advanced key system, which acts as an electronic access and authorization system. The key incorporates an electronic pulse transmitter sending a signal to a proximity sensor in the door, where the signal received is checked and verified. Following approval, the system unlocks the doors as soon as the driver or passenger pulls the door handle.

Using the advanced key system, the driver is also able to release the steering and ignition electronically through wireless remote control before setting out. A simple touch of the starter button on the center console starts the engine.

Options packages vary between the two models including Cold Weather packages and Sport packages as well as those that contain the BOSE(R) Premium Sound System. Common individual options between the two include rear Parktronic(TM) ($350); power rear and manual side window sunshades ($400); Audi Navigation System including a map DVD ($1,500); tire pressure monitoring system ($250); advanced key entry system ($750); and voice recognition ($350).

"quattro" is a registered trademark of Audi AG. "Sideguard" is a trademark of Audi AG. All other trademarks used in this document are the property of their respective owners.

(Aug 18, 2004)
    Packages and Options:

Premium Package: $3,000
    Convenience Package: $1,000

Mark,

Do you know what's in each of these packages?

Do you know what is standard in the 4.2?

I would think the price difference between the 3.2 and the 4.2 is much smaller when you factor them in.

Thanks for the info.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    then the A6 Quattro fully equipped would run a little higher than the new Acura RL AWD where most are speculating that it will come in (with NAV) at 48-49K. IMHO, the next year will be amazing in this general price range with a new A6, new M35/45, new GS300/430, new STS, new RL, and existing MB320/500 as well as some others, including BMW 5 series which has hit a nerve on styling, hurting sales. Shopping will be fun!
    This was also found on the web. Extremely detailed info on the new 2005 Audi A6.

http://news.kak.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=news&file- - =article&sid=1254
    Call your dealer and ask for a fax copy of the order guide, it lists, by model, what is included in each package.

The voice activiation will come with a list of commands to control some functions within the car and almost certainly the telephone

"dial 1-800-FOR-AUDI dial" etc etc. The system in my car must have at least two dozen commands that it accepts. There is, somewhere, a write up of what you get.

There is a joke somewhere that you can control the navi system via voice -- which is probably true, to a certain exten. Of course the Navi system will not order Peking Duck at your favortie restaurant, even though you might tell it to take you to a certain address.

Stuff like that and probably some of the MMI controls will respond to voice -- some things, I'll wager might be "why bother" type of things.

For instance, it might be just as easy to turn the heater fan higher by reaching over with your hand rather than verbally telling the car to do so.

I test drove a Mercedes once that had a power adjustable rearview mirror (the one inside the car in the middle of the windshield) -- there was a joy stick in the middle of the dash that you manipulated and the mirror moved in concert with the joy stick.

It was much easier to "manually" adjust the mirror than fiddle with the joy stick. The joy stick was "cool" but it was extra weight for the car and it took longer. The only advantage to it was that you could program it to your key fob. Seemed like overkill.
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    Has anyone driven the 3.0TDI?
  • brodskybrodsky Member Posts: 14
    I'm a two time Audi owner, both 2.7T (2000 sedan and 2003 allroad), and will never bash this great car company, but I am SO disappointed that the new A6 will not be offered with a manual transmission. Can anyone offer thoughts as to what led to this unfortunate decision? Lack of demand for manual transmissions? Thanks.

Also, does anyone know WHEN the BMW 530xi will debut in the US?
    My understanding is that Audi's dropping the manual transmission (hopefully only for the time being) was
    due to lack of demand for it in the U.S., e.g., only 5% of U.S. spec. cars sold.

It is also my understanding that BMW's 530xi will be available in U.S. showrooms by about March 2005.
    I have commented on this "revoltin' development" over on the VW Passat town hall. But, in sum, you are correct -- the reason there is no stick is "US" as in "we've met the enemy and it is us!" [Pogo, I believe.]

My wife and I have done our part, we've purchased 27 Audis, 23 of them manual transmission models (we currently have a 2003 TT and 2003 allroad, both stick shifts). Both my wife's and my Audi leases are on the wane -- and we will be replacing our Audis.

My friends don't believe I won't get another Audi (and perhaps they are correct). I am keeping an open mind and will drive the Acura RL (alas also auto only) and the Chrysler 300C AWD (ditto). I have, pretty much, ruled out the Infinity M and the Cadillac STS due to "value" proposition issues. And, frankly, the lease price of a 300C (which is about $10K less than a new A6 config'd as I would config it) is about the same as the A6 (residuals perhaps, money factor?)

So, the allroad is being discontinued as of May '05. The new A6's are ONLY tiptronic and the TT is too small. The A4 for 2005.5 with a 3.2 and a 6speed manual (hopefully) and hopefully the entire A4/S4 line are all that remain and my guess is that the DSG transmission will soon be the alternative to the tip -- effectively making all Audis clutchless insofar as a literal pedal is concerned.

We -- you and I -- are to blame. But, frankly, I think I should get a pass since I have dutifully leased 27 Audis starting with my 1978 Audi 5000.

So, it is "everyone else's" fault.

Seriously, the auto even in Europe is becoming the transmission for most of the Premium Class -- only BMW, as far as I know, offers manuals more or less widely across the range (3's + 5's and Z's and I believe even the X3). Audi, oddly enough, seems to be (speaking of German Premium cars) in second place and with the few cars that have sticks, that is pretty pitiful.

What are you gonna do? Self-inflicted wound.
    My understanding is that Audi's dropping the manual transmission (hopefully only for the time being) was
    due to lack of demand for it in the U.S., e.g., only 5% of U.S. spec. cars sold.

It is also my understanding that BMW's 530xi will be available in U.S. showrooms by about March 2005.
    Mark:

For the $50K+ the prospective 2005 A6 3.2 you said a little while back MIGHT be your next leased Audi, I
    think (manual tranny lover that you are) that you should get a 2005 S4 Avant to replace yur Allroad.
    Cost will be about the same or only a bit more, but think of all the fun you'll have (and the tiz you'll get!!).

Bob
  • ross1113ross1113 Member Posts: 1
    Sir, thank you for balancing a knowledgeable driver's wisdom with utter pragmatism. Also for correct spelling. It continues to amaze me so many who can afford (and choose) an Audi cannot use the spellcheck - or even notice. (Or perhaps even care!)
    For the times that I do not use spell check, all that I can respond is "oops!" It is my intention to spell check my posts. Although these postings from most of us, even with some mis-spelled words are generally interesting, informative and often entertaining, I too agree that eliminating this issue just makes the board a bit easier to follow.

But actually, other than really obvious errors, the all caps or all lower-case postings and shorthand posts are sometimes even more difficult to wade through.

Personal opinion.

I am not convinced that one's ability to "afford" something is any indication of their ability to spell or perhaps better said, spell check.

I always leave my email spell check on, just in case.

Anyway, making our meanings as clear as possible always has merit.

On the subject: the 2005 RL HAS to give the new A6 a run for its money. I say that as more and more information about the RL is coming to light. If you can trust Car & Driver's current issue, the RL at MSRP is $48K and is more "feature packed" than the A6 optioned to $51+K. Moreover, the 300HP and 260ft/pounds, to say nothing of the 0-60 time also are, at the very least, compelling.

My list remains the A6, the .5 A4 3.2 (Feb '05), the Chryco 300C AWD and the new RL. hovering between $39 and $51 thousand is a wide range, no doubt -- and as one who leases, the funny thing is this cars may come close to each other on a monthly payment scale (the 300C is about the same as the A6 despite the MSRP difference, e.g.)

The proof will be in the driving. I now have my name in at Acura, Audi and Chrsler dealers for test drives.

Full disclosure, emotionally I favor the Audis, logically (on paper) I favor the Acura and pragmatically I "wonder" why not? Chrysler 300C.

My wife thinks the Acura and the Audi are legitimate to consider side by side. Her comment, which WILL weigh, is that the 300C looks like a funny car.

Time is running out -- we'll see.

Happy LD!
  • dpedersen1dpedersen1 Member Posts: 33
    Hello Audi fans - I have a 2002 A6 2.7T that I love. I have been looking at the possibility of moving up to a newer one and somehow keep the payment the same (or less??). I was curious if anyone here has any sense of if this is totally hopeless or not. Here are the facts:

2002 A6 2.7T with Sport, cold-weather, Bose, Lux, Premium, Convenience, tiptronic - pretty much all options except NAV

42 month lease at 10K/year (no problem for me), $3500 cash up front, $47K list, $43,250 cap cost, $515 Lease (before tax), $24K residual - 51%, lease factor 0.00130. I only have 19K miles, new tires and the car is in perfect condition.

What I was looking at was a 2004 A6 2.7T (S or not) with similar packages. The dealer's first offer was $3K down and $670 lease. I declined.

I am not really in a position to increase my payment (at least not much), but I could stretch to a longer term. I would also prefer to not put more $$ in. The dealer in question has quite a few S-line A6s (4-5?), a few regular A6 2.7Ts, and tons of S4s. I was hoping that between loyalty deals, Audi Finance, etc it could work. I also considered a used 2003 A6 2.7T but haven't been able to find one. I have driven all the A4s and S4 and A6 3.0 but find it hard to leave the 2.7T plus all the creature comforts on the inside of the car.

This is a great forum, thanks for all the info.

Doug
  • drewidrewi Member Posts: 2
    I warrantied my '01 S4 through Continental Warranty and couldn't be happier. They beat the Audi dealer by 10% and offer a $50 deductible. Their customer service # is 800-929-2694 - check them out.
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    Mark

Take a look on the 2005 A4 post, there are 2 links to all the info and pics on the new A4. The second posting #83 is a little better detailed.

Let me know what you think.
  • getzgetz Member Posts: 24
    Hiya guys, I have a quick questions, and definietly appreciate all responses. I'm considering purchasing a 2001 A6 4.2 Quattro with absolutely every option (no nav that year), 54000 miles, looks to be in incredible shape in and out. Car fax is clean, and car drives very well, other than what appears to be warped rotors (not unusual I guess). The car is selling for about $23500, and the dealer is very reputable. My huge concern is the potential cost of repairs. I was wondering if anyone can spare some input regarding their experiences with their a6, and the V8 in particular.
    Thanks,
    Getz
  • rockymadrockymad Member Posts: 1
    I know everyone's fired up about the new A6s but my interest was piqued by the zero percent financing by AofA on the 2001 A6s. I'm not as familiar with the market as of you, but my guess was Audi was sitting on a bunch off lease. The brake rotor issue sounds like a concern and it sounds like the 2.7T has some serpentine issue with the belts, but how about the 2.8 Avant or the 4.2 sedan? Seems like a can't pass opportunity for those of us who cannot or will not lease new cars. I have my own biz and there are too many tax advantages to me buying the car.
    I like what I see pertaining to the new A4 3.2 [sport suspention, "ultra sport," perhaps?]
  • kenw1kenw1 Member Posts: 30
    There's a new video and gallery of the A6 at the Audi Canada website: www.audicanada.ca

The A6 3.2 pricing starts at C$60,100 (divide by 1.3 = US$46,230) and the 4.2 at C$73,100 (= US$56,230).

You can also download a PDF brochure.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Nice...except...

been discussed before, but the interior is so disappointing when compared to others such as M45 and RL...even the VW SUV

Looks like Audi is making sure the parts bin is empty before moving on to another style. Those temp controls go way back.

take a look.

While I do like the RL for '05 (from the pictures); I have actually been behind the wheel (not driving) of a new A6 -- the interior is gorgeous. Not that I would tend to "take everyone else's words," but virtually all of the published and broadcast reports proclaim that this Audi interior has "knocked it out of the park."

I agree.

Not that you are wrong. We just see the same thing differently.

And, as much as I do like the new RL, I still find the steering wheel seems to "look cheap(er)" than all but the new STS Cadillac.

So, overall, it must be said that beauty is in the "eye of the. . . ."
    Mark

Please reply to # 87 on the 2005 A4 post.

Thanks
    Yes it is very nice; don't get me wrong I think it is one of the nicest interiors on the market. But not the nicest.

I think the exterior is clearly the most beautifully styled car, nothing even comes close.

When I bought my first Audi a 99.5 A6 I was amazed at what a piece art it was inside and out, and was delighted the first time I drove it at night. I no longer have the Audi, and my wife occasionally reminds me how she misses her A6.

I just don't see anything improved in the interior for the new model.

Maybe these pictures will effective express what I'm trying to say...sometimes I have difficulties (as my wife can attest)

OLD

NEW

Well, I kicked around the possibility of leasing an '04 A6 2.7s last month, but after a little while it became clear that I would have regretted it once the new trio (M45, RL, and A6) come out in the next few months.

I'm a "toy" guy, and the new versions of these vehicles certainly answer that need.

Wife drove an '01 A6 until lease expired, and I drive an '00 A8. Some thoughts on the new version-

I HATE the MMI. Absolutely despise it. In fact, MMI might be the biggest reason I may not opt for this new Audi. My dad has the new A8, and I feel like we're flying in a cockpit every time I sit in the passenger seat. It's not difficult to operate- don't get me wrong. But EVERYTHING is controlled through the darn thing. Can't I just hit a pre-set radio station without having to scroll? It's cool at first, but after a while it becomes an annoyance.

As far as styling, I love the look of the new A6. And interior has always impressed me with ANY Audi I've driven. I've had Infiniti's, BMW's, and Lexus', and the only one that comes close to Audi on interior quality is Lexus. That being said, Lexus is a bit bland and stodgy, and from a performance standpoint (and invaluable AWD), Audi blows Lexus away. In fact, the reason I love Audi is Quattro, performance, and luxury- the obvious trio, but they cannot be overstated. They may not be #1 in any of the things they do (other than the Quattro system), but placing #2 or #3 in every category scores well with me.

I'm going to wait for the RL and M45 to come out, drive and price all three, and see where I stand. Not leaning in any one direction right now- it would be A6, if not for MMI.
  • max27tmax27t Member Posts: 35
    I agree with you that the interior of the C6 is not quite as nice as that of the C5. I absolutely love the interior of my 02 A6, which you show in your "old" picture. The wood trim is what finishes off a nice "melange" of colors. There's more plastic and less wood in the new dash - a step backward if you ask me. This is not, however, a big enough issue to discourage me from strongly considering a C6 next year.
    Agreed,

When making comparisons with other autos the 'old' A6 interior would have received a plus. The new one would no longer get a plus, but it definitely would not get a minus.

More compelling than interior is how they drive. Not having driven ANY of the new autos (A6, M35, RL) I'm guessing (loosely stated) that I'd prefer the new high compression 3.2L Audi to the others.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0409/13/a01-271661.htm

- Ray
    Understanding the point of view of those preferring one, but . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I remain, mostly, unconvinced. Manuals are just plain mo' funner!

“We used to have the manual trans available on the Grand Am,” said Ed McDade, sales manager at Ray Laethem Pontiac Buick GMC in Detroit. “When I stocked them, they’d just sit here." -- I'll bet they sit there 'cause the stick shift versions often were otherwise "stippies" with no upped options! Even my local Audi dealer, who has manual allroads, seems to have the stick versions minimally optioned.

It is a mind set.

My allroad has EVERY possible do dad you can get on it, sat nav, parktronic, ON*star, etc etc etc. Most of the sticks have heated seats, and "delete XM radio" -$350. They even chinzt out on the sound systems, that is.

Whattya gonna do.

This takes it, the "kids" at the car wash cannot drive my car anymore -- now I've seen it all. They have to ask the owner to drive the car through the tire guides for them. What a revoltin' development. I make friends with them by calling them "girls" -- I know, I know, too much Arnold and PC-incorrectness.

I can't help myself. What 19 year old "young man" (most of the car wash 'guys' are young men) would admit he can't drive a stick?

Revoltin' development, indeed!
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I'm sorry but I've had manual transmissions all my life, and I am tired of it. "Been there, done that, and have no desire to do it again" is my current feeling. Maybe for people who want a showboat car to use on the weekends or for those who live in a small town where there is rarely traffic, but otherwise, NOT fun to drive daily in a busy city.

There used to be good reasons to own a manual. My 1st car (Datsun 310...back when there was a Datsun) was a 4 cylinder car with at best 85 HP and I needed the manual transmission because it was the only way I could get fast enough to enter the on ramps or to pass cars on the highway. I expect my future cars all have enough horsepower to get onto the highway without needing to push them into the red zone. It also used to be cheaper to buy manual autos...not so much anymore. Finally, manuals used to get significantly better gas mileage than autos, but with current technology, the difference is negligible.

I am personally ready after over 20 years to step up to the future and embrace automatic transmission wholeheartedly. Just my opinion, and I'm sure in this car forum that there are some who still like the "old ways" but I think manual transmissions may be nonexistent in another 10-20 years.
    I think the manual transmissions will be dead effectively long before 20 years, FWIW.

I live in an ever more congested "big town" or "small city" (Cincinnati). But, as they say, to each his/her own -- I find the manual still IS MO' FUN!

All you automatic fans are winning -- I don't expect to convince you of my ways. I just want to keep the choice alive.

This means we need to INCREASE demand for the manual transmissions. Recent vintage Audi's 5spd tiptronics have been plagued with tip-lag, other slower accelerative behaviors and poorer gas milage. IT IS GETTING BETTER, I do not quarrel with that assertion. But, TODAY, Audis 6spd manual and 6spd DSG (and CVT's too) are way better than the tiptronics.

I suspect the 2005's auto trans are a marked improvement in all areas as you suggest.

From my perspective, I shed a tear, for that improvement -- which I do applaud -- will hasten the demise of the true manual.

A moment of silence, please.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    on a business trip overseas and the 2005 Audi A6 was on display. I'm still very happy with my 2001 (2.7T w/6-speed). Car was new in March of '01 and I have 53K miles. I'll be looking at the new model a little closer when I can drive it but it would take a lot to make me trade in the fall. Maybe when I see the bill for the serpentine belt that everyone tells me will be trouble. For those looking at the '01 I've had a couple minor problems. All fixed during routine service. The passenger side window would stick on the way up - cracked nylon guide, and a switch or relay had to be replaced that was somewhere in the ignition, seat or clutch. Otherwise - no problems. I did comment some months ago about how remarkable the Quattro is. We had a terrible ice storm that tied up traffic for hours. I was able to take off up hill, from a dead stop, without slipping the tires. It's nothing to cruise at 80+ mph with passengers and the best part is the passengers (especially my wife!) don't really notice how fast they're moving.
  • grogsuzgrogsuz Member Posts: 14
    As a soon to be ex-A6 2002 4.2 owner (replacing with '05 645 Ci in 3 weeks) I must say the reliability of my 4.2,other than warped rotors,has been exemplary.
                    My only complaint is trying to sell outright (advertised in Auto Trader and Detroit FreePress/Car.com) I haven't had 1 call for an absolutely pristine A6 with 36k.Very disappointing to say the least.The biggest surprise has come at the gas pump where routine mileage numbers have consistently averaged in the 21-22 mpg range in overall driving,quite remarkable for a performance vehicle.
  • tedsrtedsr Member Posts: 3
    I just leased a 2004 A6 2.7T S line-stickered at about 48K. 42 month lease-12K miles per year-$429.00 per month-wrote a check for about $4,500 to drive it out the door. Haven't regreted it yet, although the 2005 is beginning to look appealing
    I even put mine on one of those swap-a-lease sites (a 2001 A6 4.2) -- this was last time. I got no takers either.

Beats me.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388
    That's pretty good mileage for a V8, comparable to the mileage I got w my Titronic B5 A4-2.8

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

What sort of option packages for $430? That seems like a great price. I was hoping to do similar for about $500 but with no money down and can do 10K/yr. I think the S-lines I was looking at were stickered above $48K so maybe more options? Also since my existing lease still has 14 payments many of the great deals from Audi don't seem to apply. But sill looking. Have fun with that car, I love my 2002 2.7T. I think I am going to miss these twin-turbos when the 05's come out.
    On my 2002 A6 2.7T the computer says I get 18.5 mpg - I guess I am using those turbos a bit too much. Oh well -- such fun though.
  • tedsrtedsr Member Posts: 3
    Got the Premium Package, Cold Weather Package and the Premium Audio package. I didn't really want the premium audio, but I had to choose from what they had on the lot. Remember, to get that price, I wrote a pretty good sized check, although some of it is almost built into any lease-acquisition fee, first months rent and security deposit.

The whole thing was advertised on Audi's web site as being a "special" offer, good only through the end of July. Me thinks they will be glad to get rid of the 04s and you shouldn't be shy about asking.
  • mnlmnl Member Posts: 1
    My brake pedal goes down very far before engaging the brakes. The dealership said that the brake pads were wore out so they removed and installed new rear brake pads but the problem persists. Has anyone had this experience? Is there a solution?

I also have a low pitch squealing sound from the steering column. The dealership loosened and repositioned the column and the problem persists. The car will be out of warranty in 6 months and I am concerned that these problems will all of a sudden warrant replacement at that time.
    NA market...

300 kW = 402 hp
    370 kW = 496 hp