Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    A couple of questions:
    You indicated that you had driven the 05 STS.
    Can you compare your opinion of the two cars?
    Specifically performance and luxury (acceleration, handling / ride).
    I heard the trunk on the new A6 is supposed to be huge (like a Deville). Did you find that to be the case?
    Thanks.
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    The $1000 dollar coupon you received, was it good towards an '05 A6?

It was good for the purchase of ANY Audi 2004 or 2005. The only condition was that you must take delivery by November 1.

My wife did not want to move that fast, so I guess we'll be waiting till after the holidays now before buying. Hopefully there will be some other incentives then.

Kerry
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    I'm wonder why I never receive any coupons. I've leased Audi's for six years now and always have to seek out info on lease buy backs and incentives. Anyone have any advice on how to stay up to date?

Thanks for your reply,

Jeff
  • tyheyntyheyn Member Posts: 14
    How did you get that $1K coupon? I've signed up multiple times with different e-mails to get notifications, and I got one last month for $500, but that's it. Let me know your ZIP code so that I can try signing up for offers in your area as well.

Drove the '05 A6 4.2 myself today. It is nice...only major complaint is that the engine wasn't all I expected. Took a while to respond to accelerator inputs (maybe I'm too picky?) and seemed a bit slow after the rental 300C from Chrysler I've been driving around for the past week. It's certainly no laggard, but it's not neck-whipping fast, either. Interior is fabulous--I'm 6'2" and had plenty of room (in sport seats) with good room to spare in the rear for a child, as well...I'm sure an adult would feel fine, too.

Trunk is huge, which is nice. You have an access bay for poles through the center (cold weather package only?) as well as a 70/30 split seat, although it looked more like 60/40. Tried to use the DVD nav but no DVD disc was installed. Driver Info Display is monochrome although the 46-page sales brochure shows color. (See page 16). Big note: no paddle shifts near the steering wheel as on the European model. (Nor TV, but I digress...) Took a photo of the sticker--engine is made in Hungary...interesting...have photos and video--if you want either, e-mail me at tyson . heyn at lacp . com (without the spaces, replace at with @)

One last cool feature for the back seat: besides the central floor vent, you also have them mounted on the side 2/3rds of the way up on the b pillars. The electromagnetic parking brake felt kinda cheapy to me, but again, I'm getting far too critical...
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I agree, I received a $500 coupon which expired in October for any 2004 or 2005 models (fat chance getting a C6 in October). I never heard anything about the $1000 discount.

TYHEYN, the 4.2 I drove had a color MMI which looked very nice and operated smoothly. It didn't have the nav system, so I can't comment on that.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The new 3.2 FSI V6 -- about the 2007 model year will arguably be a very powerful AND economical choice (in an era of $3.00/gal gasoline). The 2.7T S-Line A6 engine and even the previous non-S-line set up has/had virtually no turbo lag (now if you want to say that the 2.7T's when equipped with the tiptronics -- sadly the only way you could get one in an S-line -- had lag, I'll grant that; but, the lag was a combination of TIP lag and DBW lag, the 2.7T's turbo lag is, I'll argue, almost imperceptible.)

There is, unfortunately, no comparison of the 2.7T to the 3.2 FSI. First off although the HorsePower of the 3.2 is 5 higher than the old 2.7T, it is 10 lower than the currently available S-line 2.7T. But the story, as it always is, one of torque.

Not only one of the sheer amount of torque but the availability of that torque.

In an apples to apples comparison, the 2004 A6 4.2 -- tip only -- when compared to the 2004 S-line A6 2.7T (also tip only) was destined to be the loser in the 0-100kph drag race that we Americans seem to worship. The non-S-line A6 2.7T with the 6speed manual transmission, was, at the time -- THE quickest to 100kph of all US bound Audis (that were non-tuner cars, such as the RS 6). Indeed, even the mighty S4 was rated no better than the A6, so equipped.

Before you protest, this is a tiny bit of a spin, since TECHNICALLY, in 2003, for example, the A6 2.7T 6spd manual was the quickest Audi you could buy (until the RS 6 came out). Indeed, the A6 bettered the S6 in the 0-100kph regard.

The A6 2.7T non-S-Line, was quicker than the NEW 2005 A6 4.2, in fact.

I knew the 2.7T Senator, and the new 3.2 is no 2.7T!

So, with the spirit of a positive disagreement, the biggest thought of "what were they thinking" relates to the new A6 3.2 -- which, when maxed out prices about the same as a maxed out 2.7T S-line -- is significantly (in the 0-100kph drag race that IS THE AMERICAN Holy Grail) s-l-o-w-e-r. And neither one of them have turbo lag, but both of them (in tiptronic guise) have tip lag and DBW (throttle lag).

The good old 2.7T S-Line had gobs of torque and, and, it came on BELOW 2,000 RPM. The new 3.2, has both LOWER and SLOWER torque.

For all the advantages and forward progress the new 3.2 represents (and probably will even moreso in the '07's), it is a significant step backwards in quickness.

For the umpteenth time: "what was Audi thinking?" The new guy should always beat the old guy, even if it is only mostly symbolic.

I LOVE the new A6 for all the reasons you cite -- but it is NOT setting the world on fire especially when compared (at the price point) with the Chrysler 300C AWD, the new Acura RL and some of the similarly price offerings from Japan.

Now, please remember, I bleed little Audi Rings when cut -- I make these observations and analysis as a friend of the family.
  • newfienewfie Member Posts: 3
    You're right, not a fair comparison at all. Drove the RL today and came away with mixed feelings. Overall, interior made a pos impression, but the "wood" trim on dash seemed too plasticky. The seats could have used a little more lenth for better thigh support. The electronic stuff all seemed to work great, but a hardwire cell option would have been nice. The exterior seemed fine from the back, the chrome side moldings did nothing for it, and the front seemed a little too retro honda "generic"(like the Suzuki ads properly criticize honda for). Capable driver and the SH-AWD made a noticable addition to around town handling, although didn't really have a chance to press it at speed.
    Overall impression, another great honda "appliance", although with added refinement, but not a whole lot of soul. I don't think the mag would have compared an 05 A6 against the old RL so they should have waited until a fair test could be made. Hope to check out the A6 soon.
  • newfienewfie Member Posts: 3
    My pricing comparison between the 3.2 & 4.2 when well equipped was in the $4700-4900 range. How badly do I want the nav? Hmm.
    I drove the 300c two times and had mixed feelings. The car handled well, very quite, comfortable, had lots of pickup, and you sat in it like a king. On the other hand it bounced and had wheel shimmy when going over road bumps and cracks over forty MPH. I experienced on the second test drive an immediate and severe pull to the right on a flat straight-ahead road. If you look at the 300 forums many people have pull to the right issues. The car has a major steering defect and I'm not willing to take the chance. I also noticed things like metal-coated plastic parts in the outside door handles. The engine bonnet just lays on top of the engine, easy to fall off. The car is good only good on the surface, go in deeper and you find they skimped on things to make it $40,000 fully loaded.
    Their autostick (tiptronic) is a joke. If you are in the autostick mode and want out you have to hold the stick and run through the gears to get back into drive. At one point when using the autostick the trannie got lost in space when I tried to shift back into drive. It couldn't find a gear. The engine was revving and the car was going nowhere, very strange.

I can't say anything about the RL. I guess they don't appeal to me. I don't even notice them on the roads.

In regard to auto vs. stick, I don't miss driving a stick at all. In fact the "tip" does it all for me at my stage in life. I can empathize with your feelings about loosing your stick at this stage in your life (you know I'm only kidding with you). By the way, I learned how to drive a stick on a forty-two foot truck. I had to learn real quick how to shift that thing. I’ll never forget my first hill and having to stop at the top of it for a red light.

I like pickup and currently have a 2001 A6 2.7t. I hope the 3.2 will do it for me even if it is a tad slower. I hope they set up the gear ratios to give it enough oomph when you need it.

In summation, Audi build quality, safety features, Quattro, 4 year warranty and maintenance is what keeps me in an Audi.
    In my case, I often don't know where I'm going. I need Nav.
    Less fights with the wife.
  • stumblefootstumblefoot Member Posts: 3
    I've been fortunate to drive the new 4.2 A6 several times this week in varying conditions and I must say this is a great car. I've never owned a foreign make, so maybe this is why I'm just blown away by its capabilities.

It has performed like a champ heading up into the mountains (for those of you who know I-70 westbound from the C-470 intercharge to Lookout Mountain Road, it held 75 mph at 2500 rpm with ease), hard cornering in the canyon from Morrison, CO to Evergreen (60 mph around corners rated at 25 mph was a breeze. Didn't even squeel the tires.), and tooling around town.

The brakes are awesome and acceleration solid. Plenty of space in the back, as well as the trunk. MMI looks nice, although it will take me some time to get used to it.

Some down falls were the bulge in the floor in the rear seat by the air conditioner, which means only 4 adults will really fit comfortably in this car. The car exhibits more road noise than I expected. The glove box is a joke, as well as the lack of cup holders (although I understand from friends that most German makes have never really figured out Americans obsession with cup holders.).

In my search for the car with the bells and whistles I want, I came across a dealer in Colorado Springs who indicated there is a $3,000 love rebate direct to the dealer. Unfortunately he didn't have the car I wanted, so I'm curious if anybody is familiar with this rebate? From what he told me, Audi is offering this incentive for the first 90 days to try and get the car out on the road. According to Edmunds, there are no incentives available, but I thought I would ask here if anyone else has heard of this mysterious rebate. Recognizing that this car is going to command list price for a while, this 90 day kicker sounds too good to be true.
    Stumblefoot,

What a lot of people have heard is that the prices of the new C6 A6 will go UP by several thousand dollars after several months. Maybe that's the "love rebate" the dealer is referring to... Nobody seems to know any real details, just lots of speculation.
    I wholly agree on your 300c observations. I thought I was going crazy in observing the pull-to-the-right effect...it's very noticeable. Handling stinks, too...Can't pull it around corners very nicely or elegantly--the car really struggles to maintain traction.

The cars roughly the same as the A6, but it feels a lot 'heavier'--some of it perceptual, I'm sure, but in terms of handling, it's a laggard. But that engine sure is nice...never mind that it sounds like a truck or 80s era MB.
    I went and test drove the new A6 4.2 at my local dealer today. Overall it was very nice, but not quite up to the performance level of the BMW 545. My dealer had a list of colors and options and colors, but no one knew what the Stratos Blue looks like. Supposedly they have not received any of the big brochures yet. Can anyone tell me what shade of blue it is? Is it the silver blue I think I saw on the Audi web site (of a European model)? Thanks.
    I can actually comment on that--I have the 46-page brochure on the car. The stratos blue is pretty dark, but not as dark as night blue (obviously). It looks considerably darker than the stratos blue I see on A6s on sale in Europe--just do a google search for one in Germany or the UK to get the idea, either new or used. It's also a lot darker than it looks on the 'configurator' on the Audi web site.

I'd describe the color at pretty much dark blue. All of these 'pearlized' colors change whether you're looking at the swatch in the sunlight/in a room's ambient light, etc..., so what I'm describing is pretty much the brightest form of the color you'll see.

So, maybe my swatches are defective, although the black, silver, white, and beige look correct. (Drove the beige one yesterday.) It just seems that any color that's supposed to be somewhat dark (oyster gray metallic, cambridge green, stratos/night blue) is REALLY dark. But again, when you extrapolate the color from the one-inch square I'm looking at to an entire automobile, maybe it looks different.

Give me your e-mail address if you want me to send you a photo of the swatch page from the brochure. tyson dot heyn at lacp dot com
    tom17,

Its a mid to deep blue. I don't see much silver in it at all. I'm surprised your dealer didn't have a brochure, mine did with color swatches, etc... I have a picture I can email you if needed.
    Here's the blue I was talking about.

Great pic--is that a photo of a prototype? (Looking at the headlights.) Did they ID the color as stratos blue?
    Thanks for the photo. That would be an acceptable color for me. I appreciate it.
    My only negative from test driving the 05 A6 4.2 yesterday was the initial off the line acceleration. The engine seems to have to gather a few RPM's before the acceleration really kicks in. When I put the transmission into "S" mode (supposed to be Sport mode), the initial off the line acceleration was even worse. Maybe it is "Snow" mode??? Comparing it to the BMW 545, the ride is much better (both with the Sport Package), the handling is close but more numb in the A6, and the acceleration is definately slower in the A6. I really like the steering on the 545 with Sport package, the gearing changes depending upon car speed and can turn lock to lock immediatly when parking. Missed it trying to turn the A6 around in the dealer's lot. With the same options the A6 was $54K, the 545 $60K. At least the A6 is 10% less $$$. Tried to look at the new STS, but all my local dealer has are V6's.
    The picture is from Germany outside the Ingolstadt (?sp) factory. The color is the same color as the 4.2 I test drove so I suspect it is the stratos blue as its the only blue offered in the A6.

Tom, I also felt the 4.2 to be mildly slow off the stop. Oddly, I don't remember this when driving the European version 3.2 in September... where I was very impressed with its acceleration.
    Two blue colors offered are night blue pearl effect & stratos blue pearl effect.
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    I thought the A6 had the stiffest ride in its class?
    I was saying that the ride on the BMW 545 with the Sport package is much stiffer (can feel the road imperfections more) than the new A6 with the Sport package.
  • gibber1gibber1 Member Posts: 7
    I own a 2002 530i and have pre-ordered a 2005 3.2. My only misgiving is the feel of the ride. I drove a 3.2 on a 3 mile run, and then went over the same run with my 530i on the way home. Every imperfection was felt in the A6, and swallowed up in my BMW.

I can't buy the new design program in the new 5 series, and have had audi quattros in the past. My only hope is that I can modify the suspension in the A6.
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    I am not sure exactly how I got the coupon.

I read online here about how some people had got coupons so I thought I would give it a try.

I was already set up on the Audi website (I think), but I was not registered to receive updates. I did have several car configurations saved against my profile (A4/A6 and Allroad). I registered for updates and I think it asked me what my purchasing time line was. I seem to recall that I indicated 2-3 months. At this stage I had not registered the fact that I had another Audi (tried but did not have the VIN number with me).

The next morning I had an email in my in-box, giving me a Race to Audi Days Sales Event Incentive Certificate for $1000, for a purchase on any 2004/5 Audi made between October 7 and November 1, 2004.

That was it.

Unfortunately I think this certificate will now go to waste as my wife does not want to rush into getting an Allroad (we want a large wagon) and would rather wait until after the Holidays. Shame because I think I got a really good deal as well.

Incidentally, my zip is 53217 (Milwaukee north shore area covered under the Audi Chicagoland region).

Kerry
  • monet5monet5 Member Posts: 32
    Test drove the A6 over the weekend. Currently have an '01 A6 2.7T with the lease expiring in December. Also test drove the '05 Acura RL and the '05 Merc E320 4Matic. The Merc was quickly discarded. If you option it out like the A6 or RL you quickly get over $60K.

Overall Audi has done a nice job with the car. The only demo the dealer has was the V8 (4.2). Since I'm looking at the V6 instead I have to temper my comments knowing that the V6 will not be the same. However, having said that the 4.2 is sweet. Engine has the right amount of noise when you want it and extremely quiet when you don't. Granted it takes a moment for the power to come online, but when it does the car hauls. The car is more responsive in handling than the current model. The demo didn't have the sport package, but its seemed firmer than my non-sport '01 A6.

Typical Audi interior is top notch. The MMI is better than iDrive, but not has easy as Acura's new interface. Everything fit well and was intuitive. Compared to the Acura, Audi's interior was classy and sedate. Acura's interior was more showy with the technology (although I admit I loved the Acura's interior, but I'm a techie type). The Merc was dated compared to the others. Audi had plenty of wood, but I was disappointed by the plastic on the dash to the right of the instrument cluster. I think wood would have been overkill, but something is missing as you see a lot of plastic here. Didn't care of the steering wheel. Those rolling buttons will collect dust and whatever is on your fingers. Would have preferred my current Audi's approach with the buttons. Also didn't like that I had to adjust the seat warmers through the temp control dial. That's 2 clicks with what takes me 1 motion today. Of course Audi still has the 6 settings which beats Acura's and Marc's 2 settings (lo/hi). I also wish it had the paddle shifters like the A8 does. The stereo was a amazing compared to current model, but I think the Acura has the edge here even without DVD-As.

Exterior... You either love it or hate it. The car stands out in a crowd unlike the Acura, but its not for everyone. The car seems much bigger than the previous model, but is only 2 inches longer. The battery is in the trunk for better weight distribution. The rear end is somewhat dull compared to the rest of the car, but perhaps after BMW's Bangle-Butt cars Audi wanted to keep things conservative here. From the pictures I was concerned that the nose was going to dominate the car. In reality its a nice integration, but I suspect that the overall design works better on dark cars instead of light colored models.

From a technology standpoint the Acura wins hands down. However, from a design (interior / exterior) the Audi wins. Overall I was pleased enough to put a deposit down on a Oyster Gray / Amaretto model due 11/22. I also have a deposit on an '05 RL (Black on Black). Coming from a A6 today I found the car evolutionary more than revolutionary in the drive and handling. My advise is to see it in person and also check out the '05 RL. Stats look similar, but very different cars.
  • gijoe2gijoe2 Member Posts: 6
    Have looked at E320, 530i, G35, and 05RL. E320 has poor power, 530i great drive but nightmarish iDrive, G35 sweet engine/tranny combo but cheap interior, and RL surprisingly tight inside, a little slow. I thought I would stay away from Audi because of perceived reliability issues, and I was not taken by last year's 2.7T. Actually thought I would buy the new RL, but looked at the new A6 and they aren't even close with respects to looks, interior quality, and driving experience. The MMI/nav in the new car beats the electronics in last year's model by a wide margin. Silver/black is the one I drove and I put money down on a silver/black 3.2 which arrives in Nov. So glad to have stopped at Audi.
    Nice review. How do you get your deposit back on the loser? Let us know which one wins.
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    I would think that Audi has stiffened the suspension on normal A6s just to increase the car's handling.
  • monet5monet5 Member Posts: 32
    At least in Illinois (can't speak to other locations) all deposits are refundable. Besides the same person owns both dealerships. RL or A6 they get a sale :)
    I asked because in Massachusetts they are not refundable, and I had to put down $2,000 on a car that I am not 100% sure I am going to like. Thus, I read every word in this forum.
  • tjks02turbotjks02turbo Member Posts: 2
    My trip computer always shows me getting 1.5 - 2.0 MPG more than actual. If it shows 20.2 I am really getting 18.5. Yesterday I filled up and the trip showed 21.2 and after calculating it was 19.7.

I have a 2002 A6 2.7T with 6 speed since 9/1/2004 and have tracked the fuel since day one. This is something I have done on all my previous cars as well. I use this info to determine if their is something wrong with the engine...sudden drop in MPG for no explained reason.

I am disappointed in the discrepancy between the computer and actual calculated MPG but love the car anyway.
  • houstonmerchoustonmerc Member Posts: 65
    I have not noticed the issue of amenities becoming the same on different levels of cars; maybe that's true. But I wouldn't call 14.5 inches in length "slightly longer". My wife has a 2002 A6 which we love. I couldn't get in an A4 without a guarantee of medical assistance to rehabilitate me when I got out.
  • coppercopper Member Posts: 94
    You have too much time on your hands :)
    Thanks for the reviews, guys, plus the info on the $1,000 coupon. I'll try your ZIP code and see if I get lucky...

I really enjoyed the comparison of the A6 and RL...I have an 18-month-old and non-techie wife, so space and relative simplicity were a premium, so it sounds like I went well with the A6.

My midnight blue A6 3.2 is supposed to arrive 10/25 (probably more like 11/2), so I'll let you guys know what I think beyond just the test drive. If it's like the 4.2 I drove, I should be pretty happy...
  • eddiekeddiek Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the posts here. I've registered on the Audi website but haven't gotten the coupon yet. I'm trying to decide between the S4 and the new A6 4.2. There's a great lease deal now on the S4 and the $1000 off would be a nice little bonus.
    I too have tested the A6 4.2. Does anyone have a 3.2? All the inside info claims the 4.2 will account for 10% of total sales -- why bring the 4.2 out weeks and weeks prior to the one that will be popular?

I have the brochure now -- in the brochure the copy claims that the 3.2 is the successor to the 3.0, not the 2.7T as many of us had assumed or hoped. Read in that light, the new A6 is much more expensive than the outgoing A6 3.0, and about the same as the outgoing 2.7T S-Line. Those of us used to either the 4.2 or the 2.7T are darn near expecting to be underwhelmed by the power.

I, ever in the quandry, after driving the A6 4.2 was very impressed even though the one I tested was sans sport package but did have the HP 18" wheels and tires -- I am now back to hoping the upcoming A4 3.2 for 2005.5 with a stick shift and hopefully Ultra Sport or S-Line, will be "all that it can be."

And, about $9,000 less when fully optioned as the A6 ($42K vs $51K equipped as I want it), BTW.

The new A6 is fantastic in just about any way you want to cut it -- except performance (power to hone in on my issue). The Acura RL looks somewhat more like a bargain at a similar price point -- but, well, I still am ever so biased in favor of the Audi.

So, after having driven the new A6 4.2, I was very impressed, next the Acura, then the 300C AWD and if that Phaeton is still there in Feburary and is still $599/mo -- even that could be a contender.

You see, an issue I am having is the price of gas -- and I know this seems nuts to be talking about $40K to $55K cars and grousing about another $.89 per gallon. (Premium is $2.11 here in River City).

But that's the way it is.

Do you think, typical Audi, that the next couple of years of the A6 3.2 will see HP and torque creep? They always have in the past. . . .
    Well, my 3.2 is supposed to be coming in next week, so I'll let you know. The hope I hold in the 3.2 is the spec. time of 7.1 for 0-100 kph, which translates to around 6.85 for 0-60 mph. If that's the case, I'm happy. The torque kicks in lower (3250 vs 3500 on the 4.2), so that also gives me hope. I just can't justify $6k more for the 4.2 engine.

How was the ride on the non-sport 4.2? The sport 4.2, which I tested, is pretty hard over less-than-perfect asphault. Again, my hope is that they dampen things up for the US market.
    The one I drove was NON sport but did have 18" wheels and UHP all season tires.

The ride was compliant and the handling was "crisp" -- the car was very quiet and the ride was not stiff, but it was firm.

Had I not seen the sticker and if asked, I would have had to assume that it did indeed have the sport suspension -- it was that good to my ear, eye and butt. This non sport equipped A6, subjectively, had the feel of my 2001 A6 4.2 sport.

All in all very impressive.

And, unlike some other folks, I did NOT notice a power issue at all. Hence my trepidation pertaining to the 3.2. A slightly lower final drive or even a stick shif would probably right all that is wrong.

And, you are right, the 0-100kph does translate to a slightly quicker 0-60mph.

My take on the sport non sport thing is thus:

the sport package costs $1250 the wheel tire upgrade is $1000 -- so it is only a $250 decision, but I do indeed want the sport suspension, unless it is bone jarring.
  • bmwcccbmwccc Member Posts: 234
    I think you are looking at a 0-60 in 6.9 sec and not a hair under unless you are pointed down a long hill (A6 3.2).

I myself was leaning towards A6 3.2 but thinking with the less weight and the same engine and relatively the same options, the A4 is going to be a much better bargain and may then get down into the 0-60 in the 6.7 sec range with the weight reduction. I don't need all the sedan room and paying 5 - 8k more isn't justified.

And yes Mark, the S line will be available in March.
    0-60 in 6.9 wouldn't surprise me since I was making the adjustment in a linear fashion rather than along whatever power curves exist for the 3.2. I'll report details (level, not downhill!) once I have my car in the next week or two per my Beltronic accelerometer. (Sorry, didn't have the nerve to stick it on the 4.2 test model and 0-60 it onto a busy freeway with the sales guy there, especially since I had already ordered the other model.)

Yes, the A4 is sweet, no doubt, but with a wife and growing family, it's not practical. In a perfect world, I'd enjoy an A4/S4, and my wife would enjoy a Honda Odyssey, so this is how we end up here in A6 land...
    I have a 3.2 coming on or about the release date, and my wife picks up a new Odyssey Touring next week. Transport the kids in that, and myself in the Audi. I am interested to hear what you think when get delivery and have some time to put the car through the paces. I was told that they won't release the cars until Nov. 15th, but the cars are all waiting at delivery points for the release date.
    The 'release date'--how interesting. What market are you in? I'm in San Diego, and when I initially called all the dealers in the area, nobody mentioned anything about a 'release date'...all the cars were slated to arrive somewhere between late October and early December. These conversations were in mid-September, primarily...and my sales guy sure hasn't mentioned anything about that, either.
    One very interesting point that I noticed in the specs on the 3.2 is they recommend using "Regular" unleaded gas.

The 2.7t and the 4.2 uses premium, so that could be a nice savings, about $4.00 on a 21 gallon fill up. Fill up once a week and you save roughly $200 a year.
    I read that too! The interesting thing is, the claim is that with the new (2006) fuel quality standards in effect, the FSI technology will be able to further "up" both the power and economy of these engines.

Apparently the same kind of thing that is applicable to the fuel quality and diesels in the US applies to the FSI cars -- and, the savings will only increase as we march slowly toward $3.00 premium gas in the not too distant future.
    Boston Market. Audi wants to put them out in the world on Nov 15, or so I am told. The dealer gives me cryptic information, but when pressed, told me all the initial A6's have been sitting in Rhode Island waiting for shipping authority to the dealers.

My salesman has the iq of a rock, so I don't bother talking to him, as he will make anything up just for a sale.

Can't we just buy cars over the internet, pay, and have them delivered to the house?
  • kenw1kenw1 Member Posts: 30
    Here in Vancouver, Canada - I just spoke to my dealer: he expects the A6s will be here "some time around early November". He doesn't have any demo/showroom cars at all!
    I wonder if it's a regional issue...my car is either being delivered through the port in Houston or San Diego. I pressed my sales guy this morning via e-mail to ensure the car won't be 'stalled' in terms of delivery for some arbitrary deadline, and I have yet to hear back.

Logically, stalling the cars don't make sense--in the San Diego market, you'll have all of about four or five available for delivery around 11/15...and about five or six more being delivered through the rest of the year. So why would you wait since you're not opening up some huge amount of volume on the 'release date'.

Of course, logic often doesn't have much to do with how businesses operate from consumers' standpoints, so we'll have to see. I'm just trying to get my sales guy to swear up and down that he won't be using my vehicle as a test drive car prior to its delivery to me...
    You guys mention an interesting point--the lower grade (87 octane) stuff is "recommended"!? I see where the 3.2FSI is spec'ed to use regular unleaded, but I don't understand how such a grade will be advantageous to the car over higher octane fuels. If someone understands this, please explain...I'm ignorant.

Yes, the prospect of lower sulfur fuels boosting FSI performance is exciting. Is that part of some new federal fuel regulation coming down the line? Also, anyone have any idea on whether fuel system cleaners (added to the gas) have any negative impact on FSI vehicles--or whether they're needed more or less than with conventional engines? Inquiring minds want to know...