Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• bargamon1bargamon1 Member Posts: 110
    The new A6 is in my mind 7/8ths the previous A6. If manual still exists, I think it should suffice. At 50k, an S4 is on bargin, and one with a manual!

IMHO the new A6 has gone up town to a larger, more posh luxury class that does not make sense for a Manual.

I love the manual and am conflicted. I don't know if I want a automatic, but at the same time don't know if the new A6 is the right car for the manual.

For lease purpose's, a 3.2 might not make sense. a 4.2 would be a blast though!

I like the quattro and understand the penalty of power to have it. My 2.7t 6sp is a blast, but with no turbo, a 3.2 might not be so much fun.

I like the rear seat room in the A6 not found in the A4, or the 5 series BMW. 5 series with no Quattro, is also not appealing.

A premium a6 3.2 with a list of about 46.5$ is a nice compromise, even if I have to have an TIP!

I still have a ways to go with the allroad, and still enjoy this car in so many ways! Hey Kev!
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    You must be one of the first buyers of the new A6 here in Minneapolis. Was the vehicle purchased from Carousel or Maplewood?

You could have warped brake rotors. My '00 A6 2.7T went through 4 sets of factory front rotors, (replaced under warranty)all to no avail. Finally put on a set of aftermarket Zimmerman drilled rotors @60,000 miles and this worked good until recently. Now, (at 70,000) when hitting the brakes from 75mph+, the telltale "shake" is back until the car slows to about 60 mph. Had the front tie rod ends replaced,didn't help, same problem. One mechanic told me that the lower/upper control arms need to be replaced, this is a suspension defect, more than a brake rotor issue. I'm not sure about throwing in another $1100 with no guarantee of solving the problem.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    A "cure" for the twitchy return is to reset the computer once per day, first time you get in.

I cannot think of another cure that would be appropriate and "safe."
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    postings may help explain why some of us are really, really (really) reluctant to buy an Audi.

No matter how much we enjoy renting them.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I have so much money invested in this Audi A6 2.7T, couldn't afford to sell it now. Everything works fine @ 70,000 miles EXCEPT the brake "vibration" issue from the higher speeds. Sure would be nice to solve the problem! Didn't find out until recently that the A6 of that vintage has chronic front end/brake issues that are unique to that model.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Just to ease some nervous readers' minds,

I've had my C6 3.2 since late October and have over 1000 miles on it (broke it in gently...). I have noticed a minimal hesitation when driving it in regular drive at a stop if quickly stopping then stepping on the accelerator. ONLY in that situation. If at a stop light and then starting, I have noticed no "lag". I don't want people to get too freaked out about this. I have also found that I have learned how to push the accelerator just right to avoid the lag. It takes a little practice but can be done. Granted, this is different from driving my wife's Taurus, but with drive-by-the-wire, you have to give some concessions... I have not noticed any of the brake issues that others have mentioned. My brakes are solid, and I have no problems with sudden "rapid decelleration", etc... As above mentioned, there is a built in computer program to "help" with braking if you brake suddenly but not hard enough to assist with collision avoidance. I have no experience with this (thankfully).

The car is a joy to drive. It is the best ride I've ever had (obviously I'm biased, but I think many would agree). It is sporty but also luxurious, something that Mercedes and BMW are missing respectively. I have not had to "reset" the computer every day when I drive...I wouldn't buy the car if I had to... Maybe I trained it more aggressively but I've not had too much problems and don't want people to feel this is such a huge problem. It is a small problem that some people are having, others such as myself aren't. Just MHO.
  • maui19maui19 Member Posts: 31
    Well, I can tell you that my A6 is the best car I've ever owned. It is so much better than my MB E320 it almost defies comparison. It is powerful, agile and handles like a dream. It is also very luxurious, quiet and extremely well appointed. In the overall scheme of things, a little twitchiness in a high performance car is a minor thing. I also think it is something that can be easily fixed. I have one of the very first A6 4.2 sold in my area, and I fully expect some teething pains. At this point in my Mercedes' life, I had replaced the radio twice, the CD player once, and had two headrest motors replaced. I have not one regret about getting my car. I wouldn't trade it for any other car out there right now.
    Happy to hear you're enjoying your Audi. Tell me more in five years, after you have 125K miles on it.

"Happiness = Reality - Expectations"

Sounds like MB set your expectations at about the right level.
    I do not absolutely know that every European car of recent vintage that uses the Audi auto transmission manufacturer has the "lag" problem -- I do know that Audi is NOT the only company with customers mentioning "lag."

I would be the first to agree that NOT being alone in this regard is no excuse and at the prices charged by Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, etc., this is not "expected."

However, those that notice this "feature" must be in the minority, or the offending program would not be tolerated.

Even this does not excuse such a feature, especially when it has been extricated from the S and RS version (of Audi, and I presume the M versions of BMW, for example).

Despite my personal dislike for this feature, I did find that turning the key "on" depressing the pedal to the floor and then starting the car was a non-issue and very much just like "setting the choke" of carborated cars that many of us grew up with.

This may evoke still more critical comments from some on this board -- and we will have to put up with them, free country and all.

I have owned some 27+ Audis and each one of them has been superior to older Audis, even if I have fond memories of my S6 (1995).

My current 2003 allroad, at 41,000 miles (which will probably underwhelm some folks) is the best Audi I have ever had. If I go with the new A6, I expect it will be yet another improvement.

My understanding of the auto transmission lag is only part of the reason I would prefer a manual transmission, in fact it is a relatively small reason.

I will probably not convince anyone to be motivated to insist upon a stick shift. If this ONE factor is a deal breaker, you are probably buying a BMW 3 or 5 series since they remain available with sticks. No words, however compelling will actually force you to move to a stick car -- clearly there is little $ incentive offered.

However, despite my explanation of a technique to work around tip lag and my suggestion that you consider a daily reset of the DBW computer, I still believe that Audis deserve to be considered as Premium sporty luxury cars.

Nothing I have personally experienced makes me believe that Audis are great to rent but not to own.

I encourage you, if you like the car, to buy it -- it, you will not be disappointed. You may not even ever experience tip lag. As far as I can tell, most people don't even notice it.

I also hope these forums attract owners and those who will or are already seriously considering the acquisition of the brand in question.

I believe it will be difficult for Acrua or Chrysler to convince me to switch brands -- but I am going to seriously consider them and while I participate on their forums I believe it would be both inappropriate and disingenuous to criticize the brands as a non owner and debate the the merits of ownership with owners.

I can speak in favor or Audis as a long time, repeat owner of the brand.

While I state that I would not have one out of warranty, this also applies to any brand.

Life to date, Audis have performed very well and been, relatively speaking, bargains.

I don't know if the new A6, for example, is still a bargain. On paper it seems too highly priced from a lease perspective -- but I presume this will change within 60 days.

In any case, a lot of the current gen of European cars are similar, almost "all the same"- if you don't car for new European cars, state your case and your reasons and leave the rest of us to discuss the car rather than simply beat up the marquis.
    My E320 had throttle lag. You could press the throttle, step out and make a cup of coffee, and return before the car would accelerate. My A6 moves as soon as you step on the gas.
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    That's very funny! I'll have mine with cream no sugar please.
  • johnejohne Member Posts: 17
    I've become used to this. You're right though, they are more sensitive at low speeds. I've had a blast driving this car in Colorado in the mountains (3.2 6 CYL)...more stable at speeds than older models, acceleration good. FUN.

It was weird...today, I left frigid Crested Butte Colorado when it was 6 below zero (car outside). The radio and CD didn't work for about 20 minutes. Then it all worked. Apparently the cold. It wasn't just XM reception (resulting perhaps from ice on the antenna) because FM, AM and CD didn't work either.
  • gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    I had it on my 2000 A8. Very strange, as almost every other car I've owned in the luxury market has not been affected this way.

When I would start the A8 in lower than 30* temps, the gauges would take about 5 minutes to display and the radio wouldn't power up.
    Well put, as always.

I'll take that "inappropriate & disingenuous" remark under advisement.
    I have to say that your comments don't bother me at all. In fact I welcome them. A forum is by definition a place where people can discuss things openly and freely. I find these forums to be highly entertaining and informative. I find out about problems and fixes for the cars I am interested in. These forums have helped me tremendously in my research and purchase of a new car. They give me an in depth look into pricing and leasing info, extremely important to have when you purchase a car.

We have rules here and one of them is civility. Just like in politics, red states vs. the blue states; although we may disagree in the end we live together peacefully and continue to work towards a building a better future for our country.

So please feel free to post here.
    my allroad with 26k on it has been just fine. Only puton new tires thus far!

My remote keeps going dead every few months, but thats a small issue.

The tiplag issue is an old story well documented.

The brake thing, well, it will be fixed.

All high tech german cars have these "niggles" of things that go wrong.

The first month, of the big model change over is bound to have a few quirks. That is the price to pay to have the latest and greatest. This is true with many Japenese cars. My toyota sienna had a gas tank recall the first month!

It happens, the more toys and complicated goodies ont eh car, the more problems. Regardless of the price. The idrive on bmw 7 series is killing the car, and its reputation!
    Audi's do not like cold weather! My '00A62.7T heater fan blower motor makes a "racket" when it gets to 10F or so.

On a cold start morning, the turbo's used to "whine" until the engine would warm up to some degree. Then took Mark's suggestion and switched to 0 w 40 mobil 1 synthetic which made cold starts a breeze. Couldn't believe the contrast from using 5 w 30 conventional oil. Highly recommend 0 w 40 synthetic, atleast for turbo owners!
    . . dissent is wecome, needed in fact. However, it is difficult for me to imagine that one who has not had the experiences or may not ever consider a brand for whatever reason can be lent much credence.

I have read, for example, plenty on the new RL -- most of it good. I have test driven the TL, and I liked everything about it, except torque steer. The torque steer was so bad it disqualfied the car for me. Now, therefore, I do not go on the TL board and beat up the brand (and perhaps by association the buyers) just because I found the torque steer (on the stick shift version) to be dangerous and unacceptable. I stated my opinions ONCE and do not rain on the parades of the many proud mamas and papas (of their bouncing new baby Acuras).

The new A6 (with 3 whole test drives under my belt) is the best Audi I have ever driven (it way outdid my 1997 A8 -- but, that is expected, hoped for, indeed).

My final decision will be [probably, according to my wife] the A4 family versus the A6 3.2. I may find the 3.2 A4 S-Line (if timing works in my favor) will be some $6,000 or more less and due to the lower weight will be a much better performing car.

But I still plan to test the Acura RL and the 300C AWD -- this weekend for the first time ever, I saw an Acura parked on the dealer lot -- 1 of them -- I assume this one must be the test drive model. The week after Christmas, I'm there.

Bring on the posters, bring on da noise (and da funk) -- and it IS OK not to like something and share your dislike. But if your reason is "just because" -- well that is like my buddy who won't eat beets -- he's never had them, but he knows he won't like them -- "just because."

The new A6 is the best Audi -- ever -- so far.
  • safeldersafelder Member Posts: 60
    I'm betting you'll like the way the RL handles, but you'll get annoyed at some of the little things missing that you're probably used to from the Audi. Examples include no passenger seat height adjustment, less adjustable seat, "only" dual stage seat heaters, no rear seat heaters, no RDS on the radio. The other thing that you'll probably find--and what ultimately kept me in an Audi rather than over to Acura--is that the RL feels like a luxury car with some sport tuning, while the A6 is a sport car with luxury features.

Both are fine cars. Ideally, I'd create some sort of frankenstein's monster from the two, but we can't have everything in this world.
  • sapparosapparo Member Posts: 68
    2005 Acura RL was the only one of 18 vehicles tested to earn the government’s highest rating, five stars, for front and side-impact crash tests and rollover prevention, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday. Where's the A6 on this important rating ?

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_muscle_economy_ways/index.htm

Well we know that both Audi and Acura make nice engines.
  • jgainesjgaines Member Posts: 39
    The tip lag fix works extremely well. Since my A6 came with the advanced key ( a great feature by the way-very convenient-the key has not left my pocket in weeks), the method is to press the start button without your foot on the brake. The engine won't start, but all of the electrical systems will come on (just like turning the key without engaging the starter). Then depress the accelerator fully, apply break and hit starter button. It takes about 4 seconds and makes all the difference in the world--no lag! Totally different car without the need to ride around all the time in sport or tip mode.
    Just keep the 5 bucks -- this one is free!

No charge -- just like everything else we do on these forums!

Glad to have helped and glad to know how to do it with smart key -- like I said, just make it part of the start routine. And, you know, if you miss it from time to time, no biggie. . .unless you have really driven lightfooted previously.
  • tvetteltvettel Member Posts: 4
    OK...

I'm ready to try the fix for the acceleration lag on my 2005 A6 3.2L. Is it:

1. Depress Accelerator

2. Apply Break

3. Start Engine

Let me know. It would make a nice Christmas present.

Tom - Minneapolis
  • liyliy Member Posts: 47
    First, you need to turn the ignition on (not start the car, but just to the on position so that accessories work, etc), then depress the accelertor to the floor, apply break, and start engine.

Merry Xmas.

LIY
    Sounds like Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

I tried it on my 2.7 but forgot to do the brake.

I just picked up a 3.2 Oyster gray/Amaretto, and really love it. MMI and voice recognition has a learning curve for me and I consider myself to be computer literate.

The car runs real nice.
    You aren't kidding the MMI has a learning curve! In fact, a lot of the car has a learning curve IMO. I had to be very mindful to keep my eyes on the road when driving the car early on. Despite spending a good deal of time in my garage trying to learn the various systems.
    Over on the Acura RL forum, where I participate with some regularity (since it is one of the three Brand names still under consideration to replace my allroad -- the three being Acrua RL, Audi A4/S4 or A6 and Chrysler 300C, SRT-8 AWD), I read a poster's message wherein he observed he could determine the AWD shift from wheel to wheel, etc.

AWD and other handling and performance technologies (e.g., ABS, ESP -- aka yaw control, etc.) are subjects that I have a keen personal interest in, ever since my first experience with ABS, back in my 1987 Audi 5000CS turbo quattro, my four driver training experiences in Europe and a term paper I wrote while in graduate school on "3 channel ABS systems," back in 1975 (I am sooooo old).

Anyway, it crossed my mind that the original message from an apparently first time AWD driver/owner (in this case a new Acura RL with SH-AWD) exposed a significant (pervasive?) lack of awareness and understanding of what these multiple stability enhancing systems can do. I took it upon myself to write an introduction to these systems and to express my concerns that we drivers are perhaps not getting "all that can be had" out of these systems -- my comments from the other board follow. Hopefully you will receive these comments in the spirit of "awareness" -- which is how I intend them. I thought they would be particulary germane since the new Audi A6 does have all these technologies I discuss and that it is not beyond the pale of reason to imagine that there may also be brand new Audi drivers who have not experienced the sensations and capabilities of these most current technologies.

"Regarding the initial “snow drive” posting some 5 days ago, I regret not responding until now, but I have been on the road here in the snow covered Midwest and unable to make too much time for the town hall here on Edmunds.

I am 99% positive that your description of “feeling” the power shift from one wheel to another has nothing to do at all with SH-AWD, and everything to do with the stability control and anti-lock braking systems.

If you actually could feel the shift from wheel to wheel – the power shift afforded by SH-AWD, i.e., I would suggest that you have a defective car. I cannot imagine Acrua’s engineers or management allowing an AWD car to be released to the public that had a system that could be detected by “average drivers” – or perhaps better said, “Customers.”

I do not fault any driver for not knowing, not having been trained, or not being required to be trained on the most beneficial and effective way to use a significant control, safety and performance feature (or option) of this import and merit. However, and I find myself hesitant to even utter this thought, “these systems are so important, perhaps there should be some sort of requirement (government? shudder) for the driver to be certified or licensed or the seller to provide [required] training on these systems.”

This may be a somewhat extreme statement – and please this is not intended to spark a political debate – but I think I can demonstrate why Acura and all the other car companies who offer such technology should also offer [virtually mandatory] “education and training” to their customers who purchase cars so equipped.

I suspect there could be an argument that goes “the benefits of such systems and technologies, even to/for the untrained, improve the vehicle’s handling/control, safety and performance significantly to [somewhat] obviate the need for training in their MOST effective utilization.” In other words, a car so equipped with these systems will perform better and be safer (for the car so equipped and for other cars in close proximity). This additional measure of performance and safety is so great that additional training and education with respect to the optimum use are determined to be “desirable but NOT mandatory.”

Let the lawsuits begin – eventually.

After 10 days of training (4 2 ½ day sessions, each approximately 1 year apart), I have learned that these systems, ABS for example, do improve braking performance even when used improperly – when ABS engages, a straight-line stop or a steering stop is possible. Locked wheels and sliding tires (on dry, wet or frozen pavement) cannot be steered – sliding out of control is not only possible, it is likely without ABS.

So what is the problem, with this one system for example, you ask?

Most drivers with ABS depress their brake pedals with “x pounds of force” until the car slows or stops as they intend OR until the now familiar (to those with ABS systems) brake pedal pulsing or chattering is heard and/or felt. If the circumstances are, for instance, a snow slick covered roadway (appropriate for the past 5 days here in the Midwest at least) and an untrained driver depresses his brake pedal, the pedal almost immediately begins to “pulse” – and here is what happens: the driver maintains pressure on the pedal, steers the wheel (if needed to avoid or evade, or just to turn a corner, etc.) and either successfully negotiates the stop or turn – or runs into something (which also stops the forward progress of the car.)

The problem with this is – the stopping distance, assuming the driver behaves as noted, actually increases. However, it is possible to decrease the stopping distance AND maintain steering control IF the driver would have increased the pressure on the brake pedal to [drum roll] the MAXIMUM that the driver is capable of applying. Trouble is, most people don’t (or won’t) do this. They believe the technology “took over” the moment the pedal starting pulsing.

Before you protest and say, “What about Brake Assist?” – (The technology that increases the pedal pressure “automatically” based largely upon the speed with which the driver applies the brake) – point taken. Yet, the problem is, as good as this extra boost of technology is, or can be, it cannot think. If, for example, the driver starts a slow-down attempt with normal speed and pressure and continuously applies more and more pressure until the pedal begins to pulse, the brake assist wizard is significantly less effective.

Stability (yaw) control’s effect can be improved significantly, too, if “education and training” in the basics of understeer and oversteer have been completed.

Clearly, my opinion is that these systems are significant, important, and vital even. However, their efficacy is also substantially diminished when used sub-optimally. My argument does not quite extend to claiming that the improvements these systems can afford are 100% obviated by “improper” or under utilization. However, I do believe that systems such as ABS, AWD, Electronic Stability Systems, Brake Assist, etc., have only just started to provide the benefits they are capable of providing. Maybe until our cars have “auto-drive” like Will Smith’s futuristic Audi (model year 2035), we need to demand that our vendors “train and educate” us on the potential the
    . . .[potential the]ir products can live up to.

Before the government mandates that we all learn how to use our modern systems (found in cars, like the Acura RL), my vote would be to require the vendors (dealers?) to offer certification programs – such programs would improve the enjoyment of the product (a side effect and benefit) and improve the product’s [personal & public] safety potential.

Drive it like you live!"
  • argeliusargelius Member Posts: 64
    [Mark Cincinatti -- Great AWD post, by the way...]

I am mulling over trading my 2004 Acura TL in for the A6. Other than the obvious financial issues, my main concern about the A6 is that it may be a bigger can than I want. (I tend to prefer smaller, A4, 3-series type cars). I'm test driving the A6 tomorrow, so I'll have to see if it feels like a large car. (And given that I am 'only' 40, I gotta decide if the A6 looks too "mature" for me..)

On to my question: will the A6's sound system play MP3s recorded on CDs?
    No. Unless you convert the MP3 into .wav files...
    One of the people I work with has a 2004 Passat with Phat Noise in it. What a great "toy" -- holds either 300 or 600 CD's (not songs, CD's) I can't remember which.

Apparently this technology is not workable with the new Audis -- something I don't fully understand. Audi (and others) add technologies in year one and by year two or three they are gone and no upgrade or replacement is available.

I must be "the one" who bought my 2003 Audi with On*star -- and I use it regularly and frequently. Alas, there is no replacement -- ditto for Phat Noise. And, although I am certain it will be offered later, no DVD rear seat entertainment system.

Yet, the Cadillac SRX offers rear seat video (this is as close as I an get to a Cadillac "allroad.")

Further, the Caddy offers On*star.

I know these are nits to pick, to be sure, but it amazes me the way Audi (and others) tend to tease the customer with advancing technologies.

I use the On*star to read my emails to me while I am driving, for weather, traffic, news and sometimes phone calls. I expected the new A6, to name one, to offer On*star + or a replacement system. We get two choices for Sat Radio and no Telematics choice or availability even.

BMW's can accept iPods (10,000 songs!), what is the big deal with putting in a "stereo in" jack built right into the car so that MP3 players could be hooked in friendly-like, what's up Audi (and others) -- after all Audi means "we listen!"
    I offer this:

Shawd: the act of feeling which tires are getting the power.

Example: I was driving on rough icy road shawding the torque to the tire!

I shawded home today, it was interesting!

Shawding my way up the mountain!

The new Acura, now shawd!

Mark, I first heard about Phatnoise for the audi. Your saying now Phatnoise if you have onstar?

I would like my next Audi to have some MP3 ability.

on the flip side, I find XM very satisfying and ALWAYS find somthing good to listen to. Part of the fun is finding things that are good that I never heard before!
    It amazes me that for $50K these cars (Audi is not alone in this) don't have common techno gadgets. I agree completely that there should be MP3 capability. I personally would prefer a single MP3/CD player to the 6 CD player currently on the car. It would probably be the same price as well. Whoever makes these choices in the upper echelon must be out of touch with the real world.

Also, to put a USB port for adding drives or music would be easy and shouldn't be much money to the car cost at all. How about a small hard drive in the MMI where we can upload music? Or an upgradeable Nav program (still missing almost entire cities that have been around for 50 years (I thought the nav was supposed to cover the entire US and it doesn't even cover the surrounding 100 miles...).

Don't get me wrong, I still love my car, but these are simple things that the mainstream public desire and use on a daily basis...
    There's no native MP3 capability in the A6.

You're only 40 and you're worried the A6 looks to mature for you? Yikes...what must y'all think about somebody who's not even 30 yet and just got an A6 to replace his A4!!
    Okay...perhaps the "mature" remark was harsh...

; )

I guess I am more referring to the size of the car. It seems big...just not something I'm used to. Alas, I'm off to give one a test drive this afternoon, so we'll see if I get won over.

(I also just found out that BMW is coming out with an AWD version of the 5-series this April. Decisions, decisions...)
    I'm sitting here looking at a 2005 A6 brochure and I am trying to figure out what color "Oyster" is. The paint chip isn't very telling. I am assuming it's a really dark grey? Curious how someone who has seen it in person would describe it...
    Sometimes grey, sometimes purple (in bright sunlight). Actually very striking. Not my first choice (Night Blue w/ Platinum is on its way), but definitely a beautiful car.
    I was in a similar situation, but have gone to the bigger car for family-related reasons (as in my wife and I are going to want one soon). Before that, I was dead-set on an S4. What attracted me to the A6 over the main competition (Acura RL, since the BMW currently has no AWD option and is much more expensive) was that the A6 has the heart of a sports car with some luxury features, while the RL has the heart of a luxury sedan with some sporty features.

I did just return from the Washington Auto Show and got a look at some of the other competition. NOBOBDY was looking at the Infiniti M or the Lexus GS. Of the two, the Lexus GS was much nicer. The A6 was very popular--they had 3 of them on the floor (two 3.2s and a 4.2). They also had a A8 W12 splayed open...man, is that thing scary!
    I can't describe colors very well, but suffice it to say that the Oyster Audi is a very attractive car.
    My favorite color (of course I may be biased...)

I still wish they offered a titanium/steel grey color...
    You can always special order the color, but I think there are certainly some good color choices to choose from. Some people have special ordered the dolphin gray that is used on the A4's...that might be more the color you are wanting.
  • stevenfwstevenfw Member Posts: 2
    As noted in one of the messages, in March, the BMW 525i and 530i will have x-drive AWD as an option. What do people think as a comparison? While I'm at it, what do people think in general of the A6 vs. the 5 series? This is something that I have been considering and researching for over one year now. I have read tons of articles and reviews, test driven both several times (A6 4.2 and 545i, as I am most interested in the 8 cylinder), and have decided on the Audi A6 4.2. However, I continue to have the following concerns:

1. Many reviews and my own experience reveal that the suspension gives the car a harsh ride (NOT the sport, either); the 5 series, as well as the 3 series seem to soak up potholes, road imperfections, etc.

2. Does the A6 approach the handling of a 5 series with regard to steering, suspension, road manners, etc?-while Edmunds ratings give the nod to Audi on just about everything, BMW gets the nod in that area.

3. I love the ride of the BMWs given the above, and the fun factor is unquestionable, however the Audi interior, price, fit and finish, etc. and ultimately pragmatism (Quattro, and I live in N.J. where we get lots of snow, and I gave up on the idea of having to deal with snow tires-price and hassle) leads me in this direction...

What are your opinions?

Thanks
  • auditorauditor Member Posts: 63
    Using almost the same long-term process you have, I ordered an '05 A6 4.2 on Oct. 1st, and finally now expect to take delivery in early Feb. '05.

Since Audi was no longer offering a 6-speed tranny in the A6, I also wanted V8 power, as my new A6 will be replacing a wonderful, but old 740i. And, since I live in center city Phila., where the streets are terrible, I was also trying to get a new car with good handling, but not a harsh ride.

Just like you, before ordering, I tested both the new A6 3.2 and 4.2, the latter several times and both with and without sport suspension. I also drove a BMW 545i with sport suspension twice.

Like you, I found the 545i very exciting to drive

and not at all harsh despite its sport suspension.

While the A6 4.2's I drove may not have been as

precise handling wise, they were much more comfortable inside, had ample power, handled well and, perhaps most importantly, their rides were not unduly harsh (even the sport suspension one with 18" low profile tires that I drove on my poorly repaved city streets).

Given the above, and that I also wanted 4-wheel

drive for those times in the Winter that I drive

to and thru snowy New England, the A6 4.2 was a

clear choice for me for all the same reasons you state.

To minimize the likelihood of harshness occurring, I ordered my A6 4.2 without sport suspension and with the standard 17" wheels on which I plan to put high performance winter tires, e.g., Dunlap M3's. In the Spring, I plan to buy a set of 18" wheels and put Michelin PS2's on them for Spring,

Summer and Fall driving. I believe the quality of the tires I'll be using year round will give me the best handling I can get without risking the

potential harshness of sport suspension when I'm driving in the city.

Hope this helps you make your decision. Please let us know what you decide to do.
    <Auditor> I am curious: if the 5-series was available with AWD how would that have changed your equation?

I'm torn for lots of intangible reasons -- the BMW seems a bit more sporty/youthful and the Audi seems more luxurious/mature. Having said that, I haven't yet driven the Audi (plan to do so today), so perhaps that will change my opinion.

I am also turned off by the BMW Navigation system. (I had it in a 3-series, and I fear it's the same system in the 5-series, just with iDrive for input)...
  • auditorauditor Member Posts: 63
    Argelius:

Yes, I must admit, if the 545i was available with 4wd, it would have weighed very much in its favor with me, and I would have considered it more.

However, factors such as the 545i's sport seats being a little too restrictive for me, its trunk being decidedly smaller than the A6's, and, not surprisingly, the 545i's very uninviting/annoying i-drive, would probably have still keep me from selecting it.

And, my last test drive of an A6 4.2 was a very long and spirited one on some narrow, winding country roads west of Phila. where I was finally able to see what the 4.2 could do when I really pushed it (past 85 mph). Its acceleration, road holding and breaking were superb for such a relatievly large car. That's what I beleive finally convinced me!!
    Frankly, I love both vehicles. It is more of a 3.2 vs. 530xi for me.

To be honest, the 3.2 is a wonderful car, and I'm sure the 530xi will be as well. I adore the current 530- I think it provides enough power (BMW's always get the absolute most out of their hp, it seems), and is a joy to drive. It has a typical BMW interior- nice materials, upscale feel....but not the luxury you feel in Audi or Mercedes. As an aside, if Mercedes had a vehicle between the E320 and E500 in 4matic that would be a consideration as well- but alas....

The 3.2 Audi is a great handler, has all the new "toys", and has a sumptuous interior. Audi jumped the A6 to the next level, which I believe will really hurt the A8. There's simply no reason to purchase an A8 anymore, unless it is the long wheel base. The regular wheel base is not the car the 4.2 is, and the 4.2 is cheaper.

The BMW, with a newly designed engine (always a pause for thought, though once expected kinks are worked out I anticipate it will be a fabulously performing one) and AWD, is going to really attact the A6. From a leasing perspective, Audi is going to lose everyone almost immediately unless they offer great incentives, because BMW's been going after this segment recently. They typically have a much higher residual and as long as they offer a good rate they will blow Audi away in terms of price- think $50 or so a month on similarly equipped cars, even though the BMW sticker would probably be higher.

I guess in summation of this rambling post, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these high performing vehicles. As is the case with most high end cars, it will come down to taste.
    Currently, despite my loyalty and "love" for the Audi brand, the A6 is not really attractively being marketed (via the lease program). Yet, BMW is, apparently doing just this with the 5 series.

Add to this an AWD version and Audi had better re-evaluate this approach.

If I were "king for a day," I would want as many new A6's populating the US roads as I could screw together in Germany exported here just for the purpose of "talking up" the brand, the car, the technology.

I don't know if Audi is thought of first and foremost as an AWD premium brand or what -- I think BMW does have an image advantage. Couple a few choice placements in the superbowl about BMW in general and an AWD 5 series in particular, then follow that with a print and electronic campaign from Feb through May, touting the AWD prowess that the new 5 series can bring to the table and keep the lease price pressure on. . .bam, pow, thwack! Wouldn't that knock the wind out of the A6 -- just a little bit?

I say flood the market with new A6's -- around Cincinnati (two BMW dealers and two Audi dealers) there must be 3 times as many Bimmers than there are Audis. If this is the case all over the place, and I assume the BMW is the US sales leader of the two, an AWD 5 series just has to be a threat.

The funny thing is, Audi HAS TO KNOW that the threat is looming. And, BTW, how much damage has the Acura RL done? When there are three, four or five "reasonalble" alternatives all beating the AWD drum, Audi -- for all its many positive attributes -- looses some of its differentiation.

Heck, even some other notable names offering AWD across the line or part of the line must be doing Audi no good in the market.

Jaguar, Volvo, Mercedes, VW, Cadillac, some current and upcoming FoMoCo products (the Zepher? for example) spring to mind.

January lease program's for Audis "better get more A6's on the street," or else.

I hope I don't have to say, I told you so, AoA.
    Here in DC/NoVA, I've yet to see a new RL or new A6 on the road. My wife has seen one new A6. In general, Audis are about as prevalent as BMWs. In Pittsburgh, where my parents live, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an Audi.

Incidentally, Audi owners hate it when they get cat marks on their finish...
    There's never a dead cat around when you need one!