Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I agree voice activation is a good solution and would solve a lot of issues. But as you said, it has a long way to go.

Audi and BMW both have tried with MMI and iDrive to make things easier. Great idea. Not so great implementation. Voice activation is a great solution. But it needs to account for everything, including options which may or may not be installed on a vehicle, like satellite radio or cell phones.

I'm hardly perfect when it comes to multitasking. I just ask whoever is not driving make the adjustments. :) If I am alone, I either suffer the current state and don't make a change, or I slow down. :)

-Paul
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    "there are times when I flick the power window button and the left rear window lowers instead of the driver's window. "

I have the same problem frequently! It sometimes feels like the armrest controls are a little more forward than most other cars...

I rarely use the driver's display, instead using the MMI forward and backward buttons to blindly scroll thru my favorite radio stations. This way I can keep my full attention on the road. For any tasks that require more extensive buttons, or looking at the MMI, such as changing CD's, I wait for the next traffic light.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I don't know what you know or don't know about the Audi implementation of voice.

Control of the sound system, partial control of the navigation system and very good control of the phone is part of the deal. Auto headlights and wipers too, reduce the interference with the main attraction (driving and staying alive) -- the Japanese systems seem somewhat better than the German systems, but my first voice activated system was in an Audi 5000CS turbo quattro and the only thing that could be controlled was the phone.

Over the years the voice activation has been in "pre-game" status -- now it is in the first inning, that is, at least we are now in the game. I can only assume that in a couple of years the voice systems will seem as remarkably improved as the system I have now seems compared to the very first systems.

Being able to dial the phone completely by voice is a life saver -- changing the radio, CD and nav system too is much easier with voice. It now needs to take the next step.

Patience grasshopper, patience (he said to himself.) :shades:
  • archichrisarchichris Member Posts: 11
    Just read your query re: the 18" wheels/low profile tires. As an owner of a 2002 2.7T equipped with them, I say "never again.!" Yes the handling is better, but here in Houston, where the roads are not glass-like, the ride is so much rougher. This is after changing the OEM Contis for Bridgestone Potenzas [which are quite a bit smoother than the Contis]. Asf you don't have the sports suspension [which I had] I would imagine that you would find a discernable difference in handling, but you might want to drive one first, if ride quality is of any concern.
    Issues:

#1 four starter button replacements

#2 DSP won't retain settings

#3 OE 18" A/S tires are inadequate to the job -- tires need to be UHP A/S's perhaps from Continental or Yokohama.

After, in order since 1997, an A8, A6 2.8, A6 4.2, A6 4.2 sport, allroad 2.7T 6spd and now an A6 3.2, I can say this is NOT the most powerful of the lot but it is much better in every way than my A8. This is simply the best Audi yet.

This does not overlook its issues and areas where it could be improved -- but, I am very pleased and enthusiastic about this car.

Audi did their homework on this one.
  • dpedersen1dpedersen1 Member Posts: 33
    I took deliver yesterday of my 2nd Audi now. (I had an 2002 A6 2.7T). My new car is 3.2, tech, s-line, premium, sunroof. So far working great. Hoping to not have Mark's trouble with starter buttons (so far OK at 120 miles!). Took the Audi 24 month lease with the AOA rebates, etc.
    :)
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Member Posts: 110
    Congrates! what color?

Could you mention what the AoA rebates might be??

Thanks in advance.
  • jonwardjonward Member Posts: 8
    Have had it almost a week now. Was worried about cell phone pairing but had no problems with the Verizon v710 CDMA and the Audi supplied cradle. The v710 out of the Mercedes works via Bluetooth perfectly.

My only concern is the ugly Virginia white license plates. Sitting in the middle of the grill of this dark gray car it looks vaguely like Cyclops. I wonder if anyone will offer a mount for mounting the plate on one side or the other. And if that big black grill bar could be replaced with something that looks like the rest of the trout mouth... er...grill.

Anyway. At one week I love it.
    I agree...I hated the front license plate look so much that I had the filler plate placed and prefer to risk getting a ticket.

Be advised that there a lots of mods already out there to "upgrade" the grill if you wished to do it. I personally am leaving mine as is...

Congrats on the car.
    Brilliant Black + Ebony Interior (black). I was interested in the white, but it was take this (which is beautiful) or wait until January.

The AOA rebates are the loyalty deals - I had a 2002 2.7T A6 that just came off of lease, they covered last 2 pmts, plus put in $1500 + low lease factor (.00170). The dealer then helped with part of the 3rd payment I still had left. So far the car is working very nice. Just swapped out the HP tires for the All Season ones - I live in UT and the AS tires are a bit better in the snow.

:)
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    I've got about 1,000 miles now on the odometer of my new A6 and will be taking it in for service either at my California Audi dealer or a trusted nearby German auto facility to dump that break-in oil. I've been quoted as "low" as $109 for a synthetic oil change to as much as $160.

What's the going rate, in your experience? Are they using Mobil 1 (real, true synthetic) or Pennzoil, Valvoline or Castrol, pseudo-synthetics made with petroleum oil base stock?

How many of you guys are using OW40 weight and how many are using 5W40 or 5W30; and any comments regarding this?

What are the oil change intervals that YOU are using, notwithstanding the free, 10,000 mile oil changes during the first 4 years, and why?
    The oil change interval for the A6 is 10,000 miles.

The first oil change is due at 5,000 miles.

The oil that is used is synthetic. The Audi advantage means no cost for the regular changes. The costs will probably be around a buck at your dealer, maybe a buck and a half based on what is considered standard normal practice at the dealership.

I would only have the oil changed at the dealer during the warranty period, be that 50,000 or 100,000 miles.

There are, of course, arguments for and against more frequent oil changes -- however, if you would accept the informal and not verified statistics and the advice of the Audi service manager (at least here in River City), the first oil change is to be at 5,000 miles. Period.

Changing the oil earlier seems to be something that the folks at Audi and their dealers (and several here on the WWW) are against.

Now, having said that, there does seem to be some support for changing the oil more frequently than 10,000 miles thereafter, perhaps at 7,500 (and always always always change both the oil and filter and use the factory specified weight and of course nuttin' but synthetic oil.)

It appears even the die hard "every three thousand mile" crowd is now saying "every five thousand" miles (when using syn oil.)

There must be somehting to this and here's why.

The car has a 100% "our responsibility" (by Audi) warranty if you follow the mfg's instructions (including weight, type, frequency and filter requirements.) Moreover, the ability to CPO your own Audi which extends the warranty to 100,000 miles remains.

If the statistics (the automotive equivalent of actuarial tables) demonstrated a significant increase in risk of engine failure due to oil change habits, you can bet Audi would require more frequent changes AND probably be even more pointed in their oil standards.

As it is, Audi (like many others) now uses a specific classification of oil, a weight, a type and a defined frequency and must have evidence that such behavior maximizes the chances of not having oil related engine failures (read costing $$$$.$$).

I would NOT mess with the formula until the original 50,000 mile and subsequent 50,000 mile period(s) have passed.

Now, I say this with two new German cars in my garage a BMW 3.0 X3 and the A6 3.2. The Bimmer says 15,000 miles before the first oil change. And, with the push to "regift" used BMW's with a similar CPO warranty as Audi offers (and the ability to actually extend the OE warranty), you would think BMW (like Audi) would NOT want to risk customer sat and reputation issues for the sake of more frequent oil changes.

Here is the clincher for me -- I was told by an individual I trust (at my Audi dealer) that there are some Mercedes oil change intervals that extend to 100,000 miles. Now THAT's impressive, considering the warranty covers oil related engine failures to that mileage. For Pete's sake, you would think it would not be that much of a stretch to cover your bets by demanding, say, oil change intervals of 50,000 miles, eh?

Changing you oil at 1,000 miles? You had better check to make certain THAT will not jeopardize your warranty. No, really. :confuse:
    1.Do you lease or buy your cars? How long do you keep your cars before getting another?

2.What brand of synthetic oil is being used in your car?

3. What type of driving do you do?

4. Are you doing oil analysis?

5.On your 15K oil change, are you keeping the same oil filter at the 10,000 mile interval?

6.Which mechanic or service manager told you that changing oil at 10,000 miles was good for the longevity of your engine? That changing more frequently would afford no material benefit or indeed, might hurt your car's engine?

I would NOT mess with the formula until the original 50,000 mile and subsequent 50,000 mile period(s) have passed.

Why not? What do you think is going to happen if you change your oil more frequently, assuming you are using oil spec VW 502.00 and the proper Audi brand oil filters?
    I think changing the oil AFTER the initial oil change as often as your pocket book allows (using the spec oil) could only do either good or no harm.

I am only suggesting the first oil change be according to spec.

I do not believe more frequent oil changes, after the intial change, assuming the oil is Audi spec and provable if you elect non dealer changes, is a bad thing.

Sorry if I implied otherwise.

After listenting to click and clack, I can see no benefit to more than 5000 mile changes in any case these days.

But, it is almost funny, some people will chinzt out on the fuel but think frequent oil changes are somehow a good use of funds.

I have usually stuck with the the first oil change ON SCHEDULE and subesequent changes somewhat more frequently than schedule.

Of course, never having one of these cars beyond 50K miles may be in my favor.
  • bhamacurabhamacura Member Posts: 8
    I thought I share this frustrating experience with the other readers of the forum since I have gained so much valuable information from this site over the past 4 months:

I recently purchased a 2005 A6 3.2 (fairly loaded) at 5999 miles from a reputable Audi dealer as a certified pre-owned car. The car was being driven by an executive at the dealership and was not a demo or loaner. Service was impeccable and purchase was very straightforward and hassle free.

After roughly eight hundred miles, the transmission was noticeably “rough” and eventually, the engine light went on and the car automatically went into ‘safe’ mode, which means the car stays stuck in 3rd gear so you can get back to the dealership.

After diagnostics at the dealership, the car needs a brand new transmission which they will be installing this week. This is shocking considering that there is less than 7000 miles on it. Suffice to say that I am very frustrated with such a massive mechanical failure and worried that this is a sign of things to come. But, I do love this car and Audi did a splendid job designing it overall.

My family has had 4 Audis and most of them have been great, but this really has put a dent into my loyalty to this brand. Perhaps this will change if there are no other mechanical problems.

Future buyers: this is a fantastic car but one has to wonder…

Will let the others know how the repairs turn out in a follow up email.
    1994: Audi 90S quattro V6. Engine failure within 90 days.

All was made right at no charge by Audi. Subsequently no issues. Car made it through the 36 month lease successfully.

While I guess it is possible that the transmission failure foretells of future frailties -- I doubt there is any connection.

It is disconcerting, to be sure.

Audi and Audis are, like all others, not perfect.

How they take care of you when the issue crops up speaks volumes.

You have shared the downside -- now why not post the resolution (more than in an email.)
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    I use 0W-40 Mobil ONE full synthetic and change oil and filter every 5 to 7, 000 miles on my 2.7T.
    Buy the oil/filter yourself and labor to change shouldn't be more than $20.00.
    OW-40 seems to make the biggest difference in the cold weather, the vehicle starts easier and winter morning take-offs are much smoother.

7 quarts @$5.99/qt= $41.93
    OEM type oil filter=$ 9.73
    labor =$20.00
    -----------
    $71.66 plus taxes, environmental fees

Also, if you short trip your Audi to death, especially in the cold weather, the 5 to 7,000 mile change will work out well.
  • vikchvikch Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought an used 2003 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro with Navigation.
    But my CD #8 (Mid Atlantic region) is not working.

Can somebody help.
    The dealer OUGHT to be able to help you -- do you think this is a damaged disc? Or a defective disc?

A car this young should still have dealer support -- damage is one thing, defective is probably covered.
  • vikchvikch Member Posts: 2
    Actually I bought this as a used car, and it has above 50000 miles on it so it is out of warranty, dealer is saying I have to order it from them which will cost me $250.

I was thinking if someone can lend me this disc, I can copy
    it and return it back to him
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    And I'm thinking that would not be legal and therefore a violation of the Membership Agreement, so let's not go there, okay?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Uh-oh!! I've been flipping those things out like hotcakes! :sick:

j/k :blush:
    if you short trip your Audi to death, especially in the cold weather, the 5 to 7,000 mile change will work out well.

Yes, Marley, I completely agree with your logic.

Here in Los Angeles, just about everything is either short trip and stop and go. Consequently that kind of use is very hard on oil, especially with the unburned fuel contamination, etc. Moreover, if one drives mainly in the city, it could take more than a year or more to put on 10,000 miles. Consequently the number of MONTHS that oil (and paper media oil filter) has been in service should also be factored in.

I've used 5,000+ mile intervals on my Acura since I owned it, using synthetic oil, and have had no problems ever, nor burned a drop of oil. (I did dump the break-in oil at 1,000 miles) At 132,000 miles, she's still going strong. I like Mobil 1, and intend to use it in my new A6, unless I can find a shop that will use Amsoil synthetic oil 5W40. (Amsoil was a pioneer in synthetic oil development)

A word of caution to others who plan on relying on 10,000 mile oil change intervals. Not all synthetic oils are of the same quality nor are all of the synthetic oils really synthetic.

There are really only two (2) name brand manufacturers in the USA who are making and selling true, synthetic based, FULL synthetic oil: Mobil 1 and Amsoil. All others, including Valvoline, Penzoil, and even Castrol use a petroleum base stock (distilled from organic crude oil).

Oils based in crude oil are subject to contamination and degradation at a greater rate than true synthetics; nor are they as clean. While these latter three oils are certainly an improvement over traditional mineral based oils, they do not afford the same benefits as do the better, true synthetics.

As to Audi's free maintenance program, as far as I am concerned, it is there largely as a sales and marketing tool; not as a proactive program of properly scheduled automobile maintenance. Even the service manager of a very large Audi dealership told me -- when I asked him what he would do with HIS car -- that if he were planning on keeping the car beyond three years, he would definitely change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals.
    My dealer actually just "grandfathered" us in and had a disc sent to us -- the disc was labled "replacement disc for one that would not load."

The disc was an Audi disc, in an Audi box from Navteq -- I assume this means the dealer has some discretion in terms of helping a customer.

Now, having said this, I would assume you would go to the dealer from which you bought this car used or not shouldn't make any difference.

The $250, as I recall gets you 10 CD's for that model year -- when all you need is "1" ostensibly to replace a defective disc, the MOST it should cost would be the UPS shipping charge.

No one would be copying anything and unless you know YOU personally damaged the disc, it would seem it is just defective.

Now, if you did damage the disc, well the dealer may feel it is within his "right" to charge you. But my dealer did help me using the latitude they all seem to have.

Worst case, you already know the maximum cost.

Alternatives: ebay? other used source?

Just a thought.
    Yeah, I agree with Mark.

Try AudiWorld as many 2003'ers may have updated their nav discs and have the old ones still around...

OTOH, as its been nearly 3 years, a lot has changed, so you may wish to fork out the money for the latest updates from Navteq...and by the way, its $129 to buy the most current single CD direct from Navteq...
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Member Posts: 110
    Did you wish to come out of lease early or they just want to grab you before you shopped around?

Looks like a good good deal and the black is a pretty color!

Thanks for response and enjoy that car!
  • bigdveedubgirlbigdveedubgirl Member Posts: 402
    With my experience with Audi/VW, (rounding out 6 years) I have never heard of a transmission being repaired, only replaced. Other than the CVTs in 2002, Audis traditionally have rock solid trannys (which btw, was a software issue if i am not mistaken) Do not fret and enjoy your A6.
    Has anyone heard of improvements made in the 2006 Audi MMI?

I was told by an Audi factory rep that several substantive changes were made in the software of the '06 model A6s, making the MMI easier and simpler to navigate. I subsequently checked with my service adviser at my local Audi dealership and they informed me that they had not heard of any changes in the 2006 MMI compared to the 2005.

Anyone know anything about this, one way or another?
  • newaudilovernewaudilover Member Posts: 23
    I just wish it would default to the "Favorites" on the radio after you start the car. It just drives me nuts to push 3 different buttons just to switch stations evertyime I get in the car. :cry:

I can live with everything else for the most part.
    No, I haven't heard of any changes in the MMI and I try to keep pretty up to date on the A6...

It really doesn't need to be "simpler to navigate" as it is very intuitive already. Just the few bugs as mentioned by newaudilover...
    It really doesn't need to be "simpler to navigate" as it is very intuitive already

That's certainly one opinion -- one among many -- some of which would take issue with the notion that the Audi MMI is simple or intuitive. As far as I am concerned, it is neither.

The radio presets are indeed one example of illogical, counter-intuitive design. Even 1960s era cars with AM radios allowed you a ONE button push to get your favorite radio stations. Not so on the ultra-modern, $50,000 Audi A6. That's hardly progress.
  • gregaudia6gregaudia6 Member Posts: 7
    At start up my favorites display in the headsup display. Easy to use -
    some of which would take issue with the notion that the Audi MMI is simple or intuitive. As far as I am concerned, it is neither.

And yours is another single opinion. To each his/her own.

These MMI/I-Drive computer interfaces are here to stay IMO as cars get more and more complex, we have to either put up with so many buttons and switches that our cars rival a 747 cockpit or we use a computer interface with levels of menu. The only other option is to keep the cars simple. I personally like the ability to alter options myself rather than having to go to the dealership...

This Audi factory rep that said changes were coming...what exactly did he/she say would be changed?
    These MMI/I-Drive computer interfaces are here to stay IMO as cars get more and more complex, we have to either put up with so many buttons and switches that our cars rival a 747 cockpit or we use a computer interface with levels of menu.

The only other option is to keep the cars simple

I would submit that a better option would be to use better design. The Acura RL, while far from perfect, is, in my opinion, significantly better at integrating all the various functions of the car. I think that the Infiniti M35/45 also has its attributes.

Here's another idea: Audi hires some good Japanese designers to handle this particular element of the car.

As to the MMI and the Audi factory rep, as my intial post explains, the factory rep told me that the 2006 model year had had updates and improvements to the MMI. She said it in the past tense, meaning that it had already been implemented.

As I mentioned earlier, I checked with the service department at my Audi dealer and they stated that they had not heard anything about such an improvement or update. I guess that the next place to check is with someone in new car sales.
    I noted ONE minor, but annoying, MMI issue about 6 weeks ago -- the surround sound preference doesn't stick. Further there is nothing that I can yet figure out that causes the surround pref to revert to "normal" -- sometimes it is weeks, sometimes hours between reverting from surround rear to normal, it never goes the other way, however.

My dealer certified MMI guy tells me there is a PTF that will be distributed in "the normal course." This PTF does NOT rise to the level of a "program" (in English what we users would call a "recall.")

The PTF will be applied in the normal course during service intervals commencing in January.

Apparently there are several issues that are addressed, most of them "subtle." Kind of like the Microsoft service packs for WORD -- I rarely notice the difference when they are applied, but since there are several thousand software issues in MicroSoft Office and Windows XP alone, one could imagine that the MMI software is in constant development and assuming the software is capable of a so called TIMI(technology independent machine interface) as I am led to believe, there certainly could be a plethora of new functionality that even my 6 month old A6 could be programmed to unleash.

I, for one, would like the radio/CD to come on from a cold start at a maximum sound level, rather than the sound level at which I was last listening. My 2003 allroad had a "max on" volume control, you'd think this would be a cinch for MMI. Also, how about a favorite station when my fob was detected in the car as the fob used to start the car (this would, therefore work with either keyless or keyed ignition.)

Now, I am uncertain how or why the radio or CD seems to require so many button pushes -- perhaps I am missing something, but the MMI is very easy to use. Although, as I have noted before, if you have this car without Voice Control, well you'd better trade it in right away, since using the MMI (with 82 switches and buttons etc avail from the driver's seat) without voice control is an invitation to at least a fender bender and at most an early grave.

If you are new to this thread and are considering an A6 with either the Premium or the Technology package (2005, 2006 models respectively), you should demand voice control -- and make it a deal breaker.

The list price of voice is $350.

Don't even think this car with the MMI, CD, NAV, Sat Radio, Bluetooth and or built in phone is safe to use while driving without voice command. It isn't -- at least not at any speed other than that which can be attained at idle.

Oh, sorry.

Yes there is a KNOWN MMI upgrade coming soon, I got carried away.

Radio: "Radio"

Play The Vault: "Changing to 'The Vault'"

Navigation: "Navigation"

Navigate to Home: "Would you like to navigate to the indicated destination?"

Yes: "Your route is being calculated."

Phone: "Telephone"

Dial Number: "The number please"

513-1212 "Five one three one two one two, please continue"

Dial: "The number is being dialed."

Etc etc

Hands and eyes free commands of the Radio, CD, Navigation, Satellite and Telephone and with the Audi accessory built in phone cradle in the arm rest, the car's antenna becomes the phone's antenna and the the car's battery becomes the phone's power source. Drop outs are reduced and never ever low battery indicator is on.

MMI and its ilk -- bring on MORE GADGETS, "I love 'em" "I'll have yours!" [sic] Monty Python.
    My dealer certified MMI guy tells me there is a PTF that will be distributed in "the normal course." This PTF does NOT rise to the level of a "program" (in English what we users would call a "recall.")

The PTF will be applied in the normal course during service intervals commencing in January.

Mark:

PTF means? Problem to fix? Is it coming out as a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)? If so, anyway to find out the number?

I take it that your MMI guy was not more specific on what the MMI update would expressly do?

Thanks!

Ps. I agree with Mark about needing Voice Control on the A6. Mine came without, and as a consequence, a lot of time must be spent looking at the MMI screen or controls, and not on the road, where we should be looking.
    PTF is a generic term. Some companies use the term SP for Service Pack. For years, decades really, the term used by IBM (and others) was Program Temporary Fix. The reason it was temporary was simply because there were fixes released on an almost daily basis -- these fixes would often become part of the NEXT release, but in and of themselves did not merit the title of NEW (permanent) release.

Most software companies use numbers and letters to designate "patches" to problems.

V2 R3 (version 2 release 3) or R5 V2 (release 5 version 2).

Some companies aren't proud and they say PTF level or SP2 -- Windows XP, for instance is the major version of the operating system but it has "updates, critical updates, service packs and eventually Microsoft will come out with Windows 2006 or Longhorn or whatever. In the old days it was just Windows 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.11 -- then '98, 2000 and so on.

MMI is "windows" for you Audi, but it is a TIMI so I am led to believe which means the software can be substantially updated without updating the actual hardware in your car. The hardware is capable of many many functions that are totally software controlled, that is.

We'll see.

I am certain MMI's software is undergoing development all the time. When there is an upgrade, PTF or all new, assuming the upgrade or PTF is not correcting something that is considered of CRITICAL importance, your car would be upgraded during a normal 10,000 mile interval.

Program (recalls) are expensive and if not actually making a material change (like my DPS setting, for instance) there would be little reason to recall the car.

There is, however, a new version (PTF) of MMI commin' -- probably there will be a new RELEASE too sometime in 2006, but that last item is pure speculation on my part.

Now, ask me what time it is -- and I will tell you how to build a watch, sorry, occupational hazard.

:shades:
    When a new MMI version (not PTF) is released, I sure hope they will update the older cars as well (2005, specifically), and not make it something unique to the incoming model year cars...
    When a new MMI version (not PTF) is released, I sure hope they will update the older cars as well (2005, specifically), and not make it something unique to the incoming model year cars...

My concern exactly!

I would make the argument to Audi (if they're listening) that it is in their best interest to fix (or update) the MMI so that as few customers as possible will be complaining aloud to their friends, family and other would be buyers about their frustration with that aspect of their car.

Case in point: my Dad who is in his 70s, who is in the market for a mid-size luxury car. I know that the A6 would be the perfect car for him -- and I would recommend it to him, except for the MMI, which he could never "get" (understand). That's a lost sale, due entirely to the MMI.
    Simplify it, make it more intuitive, and Audi will remove one very real customer objection, or caveat, and pull in even more customers who might be on the fence.
    My dealer MMI expert says that with respect to the 2006's, the MMI for it and the 2005 will always be "available" to be kept in synch.

There may be a time when the MMI hardware won't support some functions or devices that the then current MMI software could support, but I doubt that is your concern.

So, for the sake of argument, assume there will be several updates in the life of this MMI (through the 2007 model year perhaps?)

What are the concerns or issues that you are having with the system. Like it or not, MMI has received, generally, positive reviews (unlike iDrive).

Also, other than the statistic, I don't know what being 70 has to do with the enjoyment of the car. MMI, if it had some serious bugs, well that would be an issue.

If anyone has ever used a computer or perhaps moved from DOS to Windows or MAC/Apple, etc, would certainly find these systems primitive, but my god how would you even attempt to control a car that even with MMI has 82 buttons, dials, switches, knobs and levers. And, my assumption is the features these buttons, etc control are in part what makes this an LPS car.

So, answering carefully, knowing that I will be 55 on my next birthday, exactly what is it about the MMI (or being 70) that would make him "not get it?"

I guess it is possible there are folks who don't use touch tone phones, ATM's, U-scan check outs at the grocery store, FAX machines, voice mail, email, credit card check outs, airline self check ins and automated post offices -- but I would suspect the number and the percentage is dwindling daily.

Besides, with voice control (unless the person has no ability to speak -- which would be a problem), the MMI's most common functions are completely voice activated.

The A/C isn't but that can literally be ONE rotary knob to raise and lower the temp.

The radio can be completely controlled from the steering wheel buttons if you don't have voice (but getting this car without voice would be an act of intentional frustration, I'd wager.)

Anyway, what is wrong (other than the inability to retain the DSP settings) with the MMI?
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    Has anyone taken their 2001 (or so) Audi past 100,000 miles? I'd be interested in hearing how that's working out. Especially from an original owner.
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    I usually don't disagree with Mark:), but I have voice and only find it useful to dial numbers that are not in my contact list or to cancel a route guidance. A major problem with voice is if other passengers in the car are talking the Audi lady gets confused. A very necessary function for voice would be to verbally input nav commands like city and street numbers. Otherwise I am never distracted using the buttons and knobs. Audi did a pretty good job with the control panel layout.

So far three issues with my car. The door locks make weird noises when locking; once on a cold start-up my engine idled real strange, like the timing was off; and the latch that opens the arm rest is falling off.

The good news. At 12,000 miles my car has developed amazingly better acceleration. I think the audi engineers programed the car to open up and rev higher after 12,000 miles are on the odometer.
    Look on eBay for the DVD disks, I found an Acura one there a year or two ago for my wife's car.
    They knew I was already shopping tons (drove every car I think). But primarily I just wanted a new car. And I love the new A6 (except my Treo Bluetooth, but that is another message)
    I have a new 2006 A6 with all the gadgets. I have also had a Palm Treo 650 for about a year (Cingular). It 'sort of' works with the A6. There has been tons of press about Audi and Treo being made for each other. I have put in all the Treo patches. What happens is that the first time I call out from the car (from directory) it gets confused. The call often connects, but then I can't disconnect, then car says "phone may not be properly connected". BUT, if I then wait about 5 minutes, the phone reconnects on its own and then seems to work fine until I turn the car off. I have been experimenting, and it is possible that if my first call is initiated from the phone, then the car works better.

Anyone else have this phone (Palm Treo 650 on Cingular) and a new 2006 A6?

Doug

PS - otherwise the car is great, but I only have 500 miles on it so far (Spends all its time at the airport parking lot). Even though it is very early, the mileage seems a bit less than my 2002 A6 2.7T. I consistently got 18mpg on that car, this one so far closer to 15.5

D :P
    Yea, I have had the voice get confused when other people are in the car, but then again, I have gotten confused myself when in a car and have had other people in the car distract me. I'd say "6 of one, half dozen. . . ."

The radio -- since I do listen to AM, FM and Sirius -- would be a major pain in the butt without voice, well OK, maybe not a major pain, but a significant MINOR pain without voice.

I want the voice to respond to city, street, number and intersection; I want the temp control to respond to auto, def, temp, etc, too.

I would like even the seat heater for the driver to be voice commanded, etc.

Why not add the rear window defrost too?

And, while I am on a wish, how-a-bout start engine for pity's sake?

Overall, despite the issues when others are in the car, voice remains even in its present state a safety feature.

Of course, that, as usual, is just my opinion.
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    I like the idea of the rear window defroster command. When I first got the car I used to turn on the front one by mistake.
    So, answering carefully, knowing that I will be 55 on my next birthday, exactly what is it about the MMI (or being 70) that would make him "not get it?"

I guess it is possible there are folks who don't use touch tone phones, ATM's, U-scan check outs at the grocery store, FAX machines, voice mail, email, credit card check outs, airline self check ins and automated post offices -- but I would suspect the number and the percentage is dwindling daily.

My Dad, who is nearly 80, does use things like ATMs and touchtone phones, but in point of fact, calls on me and his grandchildren to manage such things as programming a computer, and hooking up a combined fax machine, modem and telephone set-up. He eschews CDs and surround sound systems. Not all people embrace technology or follow the logic inherent in its operation. I know lots of people who are technology adverse and some of them are my age, early 50s. But I don't think your comparisons of ATMs to the Audi MMI is an apples to apples example. Moreover, given your IT/computer technology profession, your perspective has to be informed, and clouded, by your years of training and professional experience. You are hardly the 'average' user.

People who have been driving cars since the 1930s are used to much simpler controls, like a radio dial that you can turn, and a fan speed button or knob mounted on the dash. Since iDrive came into existence, MMI is what, the second such system to be introduced to the automobile driving world. It will take time for people to orient and get used to it. My teenage nieces, raised with computers since childhood, might take it to it quite quickly. Well maybe. Meanwhile, there are lots of people who don't think that MMI or iDrive is swell. Here is just a sampling:

----------------

Consumer Reports had these observations about the 2005 A6 MMI system:

"ODD KNOB": The A6's MMI driver-interaction system controls audio, navigation, and various car settings such as daytime running lights. But using it is frustrating and distracting ... The gauges are spread far apart and the controls are complicated".

"The Multi-Media Interface (MMI) driver-interaction system, which controls audio, navigation, and other settings, adds steps to what should be simple tasks. The climate system works well, but some adjustments may require a study of the manual".

Consumer Reports added, when highlighting the 'highs' and 'lows' of the A6: LOWS: Low-speed ride; complex, nonintuitive controls; no in-dash CD slot.

-----------------

On the other hand, Automobile magazine noted:

" The materials are first class, color and trim are an object lesson in good taste, the seats are comfortable and supportive, and the Multi Media Interface (MMI) system is easier to use than iDrive by BMW or Comand by Mercedes-Benz. Even so, you still have to take your eyes away from the road to activate one of the eight main menus, and MMI is still the conduit for simple tasks such as adjusting the temperature of the seat heaters or storing a radio station.

----------------

Automotive.com reported:

"Audi's Multi Media Interface, which features a large knob and some buttons on the center console, controls many of the interior functions. This eliminates a lot of switches, making for a clean-looking dash ... Mastering the MMI takes time and requires reading the owner's manual. We sometimes found it a distraction, though less so than BMW's iDrive system."

-----------------

Then, came C/NET, who observed of the new A6:

"The bad: No traffic information with navigation system; Multi-Media Interface requires dedication to fully exploit"

------------------------

Well, on the other hand, Edmunds said this:

“The A6 now uses Audi's Multi Media Interface (MMI) system to control the car's various functions from one central push-and-turn knob, andlike the A8 we still find it more trouble than it's worth.”

-----------------

But perhaps Autoweek summed it up best:

"Also, like its big brother, the flagship A8, the A6 comes with Audi’s Multi-Media Interface to control audio, navigation and climate control duties. While MMI is more complicated than a conventional setup, like many of the car’s owners we found it easier to use than BMW’s infamous iDrive. But one tester noted his frustration with MMI: “ These single knob/screen systems drive me nuts. Yes, MMI is simpler to use than iDrive, but that doesn’t make it good. It just makes it slightly less awful.”

I like that last review the best!
    ;-)

Ps. Sure, you'll find some tolerable reviews of the MMI out there, but the above quoted reviews help make my point, which is, MMI is still not where it needs to be; and to many, present company included, it's still a pain in the posterior. Indeed, as far as I am concerned, it is the only negative in what is otherwise a superlative automobile.
    Oops, I almost forgot this one by Road and Track magazine. I want to be fair! So, here's what they said of the 2005 A6's MMI:

"And don't get us started on the all-singing, all-dancing MMI...too late! To change the radio to a station that's not a preset, it can take as many as four separate button-pushes and knob-fiddles. This is progress (?), when a single, simian twist of a dedicated tuning knob could accomplish the same thing? To borrow a line from Charlie Brown when Lucy foils his place kick, "Aaaaargh!!"
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Now THAT (along with #5976) was a comprehensive response. In my business, we make reference to "in God we trust, all others bring data." In lieu of data, references of this sort are the next best thing.

I dearly love my Garmin GPS, but I'm still (3 years on) learning additional features it possesses. I refuse to fool with cell phones, among other modern "conveniences," because I've watched others try to learn to most basic of commands, many of which are brand- and/or model-specific.

I'm not a total Luddite (back when VCR's required hand-setting, my clocks were all on time), but I'm close. I prefer my near-luxury vehicles with a manual transmission, a good sound system, and not much else. The trick is finding one.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester