Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    by markcincinnati May 27, 2007 (11:52 am)

I get into the 2007 on the showroom floor, I use the loaner for a day and (if I'm lyin' I'm dyin') there is virtually no difference. The backup camera is nice -- I would like to have it -- but otherwise there is a digital speed readout in the center of the dash and, um, gee, nuttin' else.

liferules, Replying to: markcincinnati (May 27, 2007 11:52 am)

I have to agree with you, Mark. I keep looking for the A6 to keep pace with the advances of its competitors, but it has virtually remained identical, sans a few electronic gadgets, from the initial ones in '05.

I agree with Mark and Liferules. While several 07 owners claim their cars are big improvements over the 05s, I don't see it. I have driven 07s as loaners and they feel the same as my 05. If a friend was looking to buy an A6 I would tell him to buy an 05 over and an 07 and save his money.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    One of the "benefits" of having a 2005 with about 35,000 miles on it is the use of the newest A6's as "loaners."

The loaners, typically, are 3.2's w/a "few" options, Premium, Sunroof, etc. They are not typically S-Line or V8's.

So, one gets the use of an A6 from time to time that is "brand new."

I kept my last loaner about 26 hours, and other than the digital readout of speed, there was NOTHING that indicated the loaner was a 2007 (other than the MSRP sticker in the glove box.)

I don't mean this is a bad thing. It just seems that there is NO difference (other than the aforementioned back up camera on cars equipped with the technology pkg.)

Check that, one other thing, the POWER ARTICULATED steering column adjustment can be had, now, on a 3.2, now, but not in 2005 (on one such as mine.)

Even the wheels are the same.

I'll wager a detailing of my Cambridge Green Pearl, Amaretto Premium leather equipped A6 would "fool its own mother" into thinking it was a 2007 vintage.

I don't need no stinking cosmetic changes -- but some would not be unwelcome. What I would expect is some, or even ONE, substantive advance: the backup camera and digital speedo and power steering column adjuster don't qualify.

When the power AND efficiency keeps rising (except for the Audi 3.2's) across the LPS landscape, it just makes me scratch my slowly balding head and say "what's up with this?"

Maybe the 2008's will be really heavily subvented and/or discounted to compensate.

:confuse:
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    If you can handle MMI, you can surely conquer iDrive. I prefer iDrive to MMI cuz all controls are RIGHT THERE with the dial vs the 4 external buttons to press around the MMI knob (not to mention the buttons for mode - Nav, AM/FM/SAT, CD, INFO...

The new 5 series iDrive has an extra button or so external to the knob so you can program them for your frequently used functions.

Now if my friend could get his quattro grinding in the front end taken care of, he'd be a VERY happy camper. Recap, sharp turns, usually while going VERY slow, like backing out of a parking slot, front end makes an EXTREMELY loud and very noticable vibration as the steering wheel approaches steering wheel lock and much more so when at actual lock.

I'm suspecting the differential or hub assemblies as a possible catch point as it does NOT do it when the vehicle is sitting still - otherwise I would have recommended he look at the steering pump.

-Paul
  • drosenthal2drosenthal2 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I noticed on the EPA website that the 01 A6 requires premium gas, where I live gas is really pricey and there is a .20 cent differential between regular and +92 octane fuel. I know on certain cars the auto companies have premium to bump up performance #'s and the cars can run fine on regular just with decreased performance I don't mind the dip in horsepower but would this damage my engine? I heard that running regular in a premium can cause piston problems is this common with the 2001 2.8 Quattro A6 thanks
    You can run it on regular. It is a false economy to do so, however.

Do it, anyway, you will, apparently, feel better after using 1,000 gallons and "thinking" you have saved $200.

You probably won't hurt the pistons, the engine management computer will alter the ignition and it is likely you will use a bit more gas as the combination of your foot and the computer will simply trade one thing for another.

You can find information all over that will "argue" you will spend more than $200 with your approach; and, other arguments that you will "only" spend $100 more, thus saving about $100 bucks.

Gosh, at $3.29 per gallon vs $3.49, if this is really a worry, I'd simply NOT acquire or drive an A6.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    There is a significant body of both scientific and empirical evidence that suggests that using Regular gasoline in a car optimized for Premium (such as an A6) will result in measurably LOWER fuel economy. Said another way (using Mark's example), given that Premium gasoline is between 5% and 6% more expensive than Regular these days, any "savings" gained by buying fuel on the cheap will be eaten up due to having to buy fuel more often for any given number of miles driven.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • brian124brian124 Member Posts: 38
    There used to be an article on Edmunds about using fuel that had an octane rating that differed from what the manufacturer suggested. I couldn't find the link, but to recap the article, using octane that is too high for your engine results in fuel that is not fully used in the combustion process and as a result can damage your emissions system. Using fuel that is too low in octane rating can cause knocking which will damage your cylinder heads. So if you hear your engine knocking, you might want to reconsider the octane. What was said previously about the electronic fuel system compensating for lower octane might be true, but it wasn't discussed in the article.
  • ricka1ricka1 Member Posts: 9
    I have an '07 Audi A6 Quattro. I too have wondered about going on the cheap with regular or mid-level. However, I like the extra power of super and the cost savings of regular is offset by the better gas mileage with premium--plus no worries about any engine consequences.

Believe it or not, I'm getting over 24mph with the Audi and it only has 6k miles so far.

Here's what I do. If you drive with some common sense you can get some great gas mileage.

First, I always coast to stops when nearing lights. Saves on the brakes and the hated brake dust buildup.

I don't gun it taking off. I'm past the age (and ego) of racing lights.

Freeway mileage is helped by keeping it under 80. Since I enjoy the car so much, I tend to focus on the smooth ride and great Bose system.

I know its common sense, but check the tire pressure. Remember to do it when the tires are cold. A 10% reduction in pressure robs mileage unnecessarily. Plus it keeps those 18" tires from wearing prematurely.

Finally, I'm no driving prude. I take corners, off and on ramps like a mad man. Love that handling. That's where I get my driving kicks. Fast starts and stops just make no sense anymore.

Hope this helps. 24mph is nothing to sneeze at and I don't believe I'm shortchanging my driving experience.

Just my 2c.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think this is what you were looking for: Do You Really Need Premium?

:)
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I must be reading this wrong. I stopped in at an Audi dealer over the weekend and liked the looks of an A6. I thought "Gee, given their horrible resale caused by the unintended acceleration/defective coil pack experiences, I should be able to score a current body style A6 with quatro for a lot less than a Bimmer." I fired up my computer and ran some rough numbers for the MY 05. Edmunds has the private party value of an A6 quatro with the 4.2 V8 at 35K and with the 3.2 six it is 28K. Lo and behold, the Bimmer 530 is less money at 31K and the anemic Bimmer 525 still lower at 29K.

I thought Audis had horrible resale and you could pick up a good one on the cheap? I never expected that they were more money than a Bimmer. What gives?

Incidentally, I asked the sales guy six times about Mark from Cincinnat's claim that you could buy an A6 with a stick and each time he said no.
    Mark's discussion about a stick in an A6 was for the pre-2004 car.

When purchased new the 2005 Audi A6 4.2 cost a few thousand dollars more than the 2005 BMW 530. So it is not surprising that it costs more used. As far as depreciation, Edmunds claims that the Audi will depreciate $18,195 over 5 years, while the BMW will depreciate $16,824 over the same 5 years. On a percentage basis, the depreciation is about the same.
    Thanks for clarifying the stick shift issue.

Conventionnal wisdom would have you believe that a used 5 Series ("The ultimate driving machine") is going to cost more than a Audi A6. Not so, according to Edmunds.
    If you were comparing a 545 to a 4.2 the BMW would cost more. But you are comparing a 530 to the 4.2 so the Audi costs more.
    The last A6 that could be had with a stick, here, was the C5, and not even the 2004 2.7T could be so ordered. As I recall, it was possible, POSSIBLE, to get an allroad 2.7T with the manual shifter then. Of course the allroad was discontinued since the "CUV" had not yet become as popular.

The allroad is due to come back. Probably won't happen.
    Right, a 530i is a little more than a 3.2 Audi. The main point still stands: that Audis do hold their value roughly as well as a Bimmer. This is much to my surprise given their ongoing troubles, so-so dealer facilities, lack of being a "hot" brand among the 30 year olds, etc.
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    What on-going troubles are you talking about? Last time anyone checked, Audi is on a tear in every global market and its profit is soaring. Audi's quality and reliability ratings are higher than that of the other German premium brands. As for dealers, I give you that some dealers are so and so, but it takes time to eliminate those legacy dealers still not performing. But overall, dealers have invested heavily in new facilities and customer service. As for not being "hot", again I suggesst you check carefully before making that statement. Audi is one of the hottest brands among younger affluent buyers as bore out by various surveys. Let's stay away from unsubtantiated opinions and stick to reality before making those claims.
    Thank you.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Sadly, old perceptions die hard, even in the face of facts.

Hyundai is another example. They're trying to compete with high-end cars, unsuccessfully so far.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    . . .elsewhere (Europe) does well. Often Audi outsells BMW in the homeland.

The German cars, depending on who you talk to, all have less than steller reps -- except for their reputations reported "from behind the wheel."

My wife has a BMW, her second, I have an Audi, "our" 28th, we have also had 2 Passats and a Jetta, too.

Under a variety of circumstances, I would have no problem owning (or leasing) cars from Audi, BMW and VW -- and probably no issues with Mercedes either.

On the other hand, I "almost" leased an Infiniti M35x last time, and I do believe I would have also enjoyed that experience.

Sometimes I think people are trying to find reasons to talk themselves INTO or OUT OF certain decisions.

I could repeat, #29, as an Audi, next time. I wouldn't hesitate.

I will not pay more for an A6 Audi (substantially more) than a BMW 535xi or an Infiniti M35x. I would almost certainly be delighted with ANY of them.
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    True, old perceptions die hard, but the facts are somewhat overwhelming on Audi's presence as a high quality and prestige premium brand globally. Hell, they outsell BMW in two of the world's largest markets - Europe and China. You'd have to be in total denial or a BMW executive (who are also in denial considering some of the moronic statements about Audi they have made lately showing absolutely no class), or just plain ignorant. Also, Hyundai cannot be compared to Audi with over 100 years of premium and motor sport heritage. Hyundai is not even in the same league as Audi, yet alone planet. Audi has always been a premium lux brand.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    ". . . . Hyundai cannot be compared to Audi . . . ."

Well, I certainly agree, in terms of the cars the companies build. My only intent in using the two names anywhere in the same proximity was to try (appparently unsuccessfully) to point out that both suffer from perceptions that have very little to do with fact.

Audi is every bit as reliable as any other European brand and within spitting distance of any brand, if we are to believe what we read here.

Hyundai does in fact have some pretty impressive build quality & early-ownership reliability data, with only two brands better in one of those categories (can't remember which).

Your post certainly illustrates that emotion can run high where cars and brands are involved. Some of that emotion (in others) is why many people wouldn't be caught dead in either an Audi or a Hyundai. To them, Audis will always be unreliable death traps with runaway acceleration & Hyundais will always be rust-ridden trouble-prone cheap crap from Korea.

For many of the rest of us, not so much.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Hyundai makes remarkable cars. They are, with some qualifications, leapfrogging the Honda and Toyota main line vehicles -- and have already at this early stage of their existence started being able to be legitimately spoken of in the same sentence with Acura and Lexus.

My Audi dealer, coincidentally, owns an Acura, Hyundai AND Infinti dealer franchise. The Acura and Hyundai actually share the same location -- but not the same buildings.

When "helping" a friend look at new cars, we did end up testing the new highest zoot AWD Santa Fe and the new RDX.

The RDX was "the winner." Until you looked at a nearly $10,000 price premium for it. If you dumbed down Acura or looked at the Honda CR-V, the Hyundai certainly seemed to tell a better story.

The new larger CUV from the company with the "bent H" has tested better than the Lexus at least twice recently.

Likewise, my 2005 Audi now over 35K miles is tight as new and if they keep screwing them together like this (and you can almost bet they will get better at it), Audi has no worries in the reliability sweepstakes -- especially compared with other Europeans.

Who knows Infinities or whatever from Japan MAY be better assembled and of higher quality. Heck, even the new CTS may be a paradigm shift -- but right now, Audi makes durable and reliable cars that can and do compete the world over.

I read somewhere in fact, that the Audi and BMW and BUICK cars in China are all looked upon as, more or less, equals and a notch or three above anything from Japan.

If you like the "feel behind the wheel" you will not be disappointed by any of the cars from Germany.

If you are concerned about them leaving you in the lurch -- well, none of these Germans are on top of CR's highest reliability model list (Mercedes was 36 out of 36 recently, in fact.)

If you buy your cars based on these lists, seems to me you will stay away from European cars, pretty much, altogether.

Get the car you enjoy driving, like looking at with the features you want -- every mfg produces a klinker from time to time. If in doubt, buy an extended warranty.

I'm not YET ready to go to Hyundai -- but based on my driving of the Santa Fe, they certainly could be joining the ranks of near premium and perhaps even premium mfgrs.

I would, btw, argue that you WON'T ever be caught dead in an Audi -- they're that safe.

I agree, is the point, with cdnpinhead.
  • bluetranebluetrane Member Posts: 67
    I just passed 2500 in my 07 Avant (almost half of it in a family vacation from Cincinnati to Myrtle Beach). My thoughts at this point:

1) Love, love, love the car. The ride is smooth and confident - it was such fun driving on those twisty mountain highways in the Appalachians.

2) Gas mileage is surprisingly good. The computer read slightly over 30 mpg for the vacation trip. I have not yet calculated mileage manually, but even if the computer is off, this is quite impressive for a 4000+ pound car with a new engine loaded with passengers and luggage.

3) The seats are quite comfortable and held up well for the 11 hour drive.

4) I was impressed with the navigation system. I had previously owned and MDX and have consistently seen opinions of how inferior Audi's system is to Acura's. I did not find this to be the case. I still find it a bit strange to leave on a trip with no real detailed knowledge of where you are going and have the car guide you in.

5) On the down side, the voice command system is not as robust as that in the Acura.

6) The little touches in this car are boundless. The convenience lighting, trip computer, control layout, etc. all give the impression of being well thought out. My only control gripe - I wish there was a dashboard indicator that shows you if your headlights are on. I typically leave the lights on "auto" and I can't tell if they are on or off in mildly dim conditions.

Overall, I am ecstatic about my new baby. This is the first major purchase I have ever done without a shred of buyer's remorse.
  • habuhabu Member Posts: 52
    blue,
    My 2006 Avant just crossed 16,000 miles and I agree with all you wrote. I now average 23.5 to 24 in town driving without being particularly lightfooted. In addition I have had both my 5,000 mi and 15,000 mi svcs done on long trips. I bought the car in Tacoma, WA and had the first svc done in Knoxville, TN. The 15k svc, done at 12,500 miles near LA in Calif. At both dlrships I was treated very well. In CA I was loaned a new A4. I am already putting some money aside each month so I can keep the car when the warranty runs out and not worry about repairs. Sort of my own extended maint plan. Right now I don't see how I could trade up to a better wagon since I do not think one exists.
  • harrylymeharrylyme Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 A6 with about 63,000 miles. Recently the dashboard brake pad warning light came on intermittently. I had to look it up to decipher the picture. I called the dealership and asked about the standard cost of a brake job and I was quoted a general estimate of just under $800 depending upon the amount of rotor work and other damage. When I balked at the cost my service advisor suggested Just Brakes or another brake specialty repair shop and to avoid other repair shops.

When I took the car to Just Brakes I was told my pads are in good shape and no need for repairs yet.

Shortly after that time my check engine light came on (I knew it was for the catalytic converter as the light had come on before and the Audi warranty would only cover the repair after a second warning) and the brake pad warning light came on and stayed on. During the repair for the catalytic converter, my service advisor called to recommend a brake job for $787. When I balked at the cost, he recommended just replacing the pads for $386. When I told him about Just Brakes he said my front pads were down to almost 8 mm and that I would start to hear brake noise at 5mm.

At what thickness should I buy new brake pads?
  • kennyj1kennyj1 Member Posts: 3
    How many minels can i get on an Audi A6 before it starts to need costly repairs? I put on a lot of miles and hoping to get 200K before it needs repairs. can anyone tell me.
    How many miles can i get on an Audi A6 before it starts to need costly repairs? I put on a lot of miles and hoping to get 200K before it needs repairs. can anyone tell me. I'm looking at an Audi A6 quatro
    You need new brakes.

No ifs ands or buts.

I was told that ONE TIME, if you get the pads replaced EARLY enough, you can replace the pads without new rotors.

I have no idea if you have gone too far.

My assumption is for $800 there would be rotors, yes?

If you are keeping the car, I would tell you 63K is pretty good (German cars have great brakes often but shorter life spans in exchange.)

I would, at the very least go for new pads and were I in your shoes, I would probably let the dealer do it, but that is just me.
    I am tempted to crack wise.

The real answer is it all depends.

You need to give a lot more details than you have provided for anyone to give an "informed opinion."

I see no reason you couldn't use an Audi for 200K miles without a MAJOR repair.

But you would have to maintain it -- and Audi maintenance (not unlike many other cars) is breathtakingly expensive out of the Audi Advantage period.

Changing the fluids often, more often than required, is a big step. Keeping everything about the car clean, lubed and filtered and using the top tier gasolines too is a big insurance policy.

Someone, somewhere did a "diminishing returns" analysis. Hell, for all I know, the magic mileage is 150K or 250K.

My magic number has been 50K, I am rethinking that to 100K, but haven't had the guts to do it yet.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I have to agree with Mark. The Audi is a luxury performance car...very fun to drive, but not known until maybe the latest series for reliabilty. If you want great reliability, then you're better off with Lexus or Honda (not Acura as of lately)... IMO...
    LOL the reason i ask is because i'm thinking of purchasing a Audi.I just turned 220,000 on my toyota camry. with little repairs . yes i did breaks and tires , stuff like that but nothing major. and i change the oil only every every 6,000 miles jiffy lube. and have done a few flushes but after that many mile on my toyota im looking for a change. It['s a 2002 so i put on a few mile every tear , i purchesed new. not expecting every car to match this but dont want to get much worst

thanks
    A person I used to work with did have an apparently uber reliable German car: Mercedes diesel.

One of the techs at my Audi dealer has an Audi with 175,000 miles on it -- no major issues.

I have 40K -- the car, a 2005 A6 3.2, feels "as it did the day I got it."

I am clueless as to what that means in terms of its durability and potential for long life. It "seems" as if it ought to go 100K with minimal problems. I have a lease -- I have 9 more pmts to go. I may or may not keep it a bit longer than the lease.

I will look at another A6, the new A4, A5 and the upcoming Cadillac CTS, the BMW 3 and maybe 5, the CUV's just out from GM (GMC and Buick, perhaps.)

The new lifetime powertrain warranty on Chrysler products may get your attention -- the refreshened 300 AWD with a number of option boxes checked is (or ought to be since I have not seen the updated 300 in the flesh, so to speak) a pretty nice car (my in-laws have a 2007 AWD 300 and its German heritage has not been snuffed out.)

The quality of the Germans has and continues to be a matter of some debate and strong opinion.

Gulp: my first thought, however, is if I really intended to acquire and use a car for 200K miles, "no Europeans need apply -- unless they be diesels." :surprise:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Good to see you Mark - you've been sorta scarce in these parts lately. :)
    Always great to have Mark in the house.
  • zgreatlifezgreatlife Member Posts: 6
    I bought my A6 about a month ago. My dealer said at the time that Audi will come out with an iPod retrofit into the music system, to be controlled by the MMI. He thought it was planned to come out this summer, for about $300.

Has anyone else heard anything about it? I would love to use the iPod in my car, and the car I bought did not have the factory interface in it.
    For the last 18 months Audi has been saying it will be introducing an iPod retrofit shortly. I am skeptical at this point.
  • gabby10gabby10 Member Posts: 32
    kenny i have a6 it been in shop 22 times in 23 months and needs to go back , only has 29180 miles on it , don't buy a audi unless you buy it new or buy extended waranty and do not expect anything from audi usa there only a bank that takes your money there is no service from audi usa :sick:
    My wife's '01 Volvo XC70 is getting old and needs replacement. But the new style '08 XC70 is heavier, slower, still is largely front wheel drive, and comes with less luggage capacity. All in all not a great leap forward for Volvo. So, I am looking around for a comparable AWD wagon or sedan. The BMW wagon seems way overpriced and at 62 I think I am still too young for a MB. That leaves Audi.

I recently sat in an S6 Audi and loved the sport seats. Not too confining (as the Porsche ones are for a guy north of 200 pounds) and very supportive. Seemingly ideal for a long trip home down the interstate late some night with the sterio on and being alone with your thoughts. The Amarreto interior for $1000 extra seems to be a nice option, too, although the sport seats seem a bargain relative to the Ameretto. Has anyone had any experience with these two options? Do you recommend them?

When I go on the Audi web site and talk with dealers I can't get a clear answer. Can you order the $500 sport seats and amaretto leather on a 3.2 sedan? On the Avant?
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Sports seats are not an individual option for 2008. The new S line interior package for 2008 gives you the firmer sport seats, suspension, birch wood trim, milano leather, S line interior details with upgraded steering wheel & paddle shifters. It's a $2000 option.

All 2008 A6's will have the exterior S line grill and body work standard for 2008, though.

But you can't get Amaretto interior with sport seats. Black milano leather is your only choice if you want sport seats on a 2008 model
    I have had Audi sport seats in Ecru and Audi premium leather seats in Amaretto.

I currently have the Amaretto interior in my A6.

I love the color and the COMFORT seats, although NOT as heavily bolstered are very sporty and comfortable for "non sport seats."

Having had both in A6's, I will tell you I would want the sport seats if I had a stick shift.

The regular premium leather bucket seats are fine as wine with an auto transmission.

The premium leather is worth it, too, if you plan to keep the car for more than 4 years, since the lesser seats have fake leather on the non seating surfaces and it will, eventually crack, the leather is unlikely to do that.
  • macdadmacdad Member Posts: 75
    I recently saw an Audi A6 L. What does the L stand for.
    You may have seen an A8L although I have read that in other (non NA) markets there is also an A6L.

"L" = long wheelbase.
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    I've also noticed that the insignia A6 / A8 on the tail of the car are hard to differentiate from afar.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I think in China they sell a Long version
    your are right, china gets a long wheel base A6
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ...you can't get Amaretto interior with sport seats. Black milano leather is your only choice if you want sport seats on a 2008 model

Audi's oddball options and colors setup is the reason I'm not rolling in an A6 4.2 now! :sick: What the heck difference does it make what kind of cushions the leather is stretched over?? It's just a color. Why can't we get the Amaretto on the sport seats anymore?? :confuse:
    Part of the differnce is the texture of the leather on A6's. A8's have a smooth texture, and even the upgraded voltera (now called milano on 08 models) has more of a textured pebbly feel to it on A6 models. The only time Audi ever offered amaretto sports seats was on the old S8 if I remember correctly.

The sport seats look different for the 08 A6 models and I've yet to see them in person.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    You could get sport seats in amaretto on the '05 and '06 A6 (4.2). And you can even select it on their website now (has a picture of the sport seats in amaretto and everything.)
  • credcred Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering buying or leasing a 2008 A6 now that S-Line styling is std on the exterior along with a few other interior nice-to-haves (including Sirrus). Since the current generation was introduced in 2005, I don't want to get a 2008 and have it be out-of-date a year or two later. Does anybody know when the next gen A6 will be release and any websites with info/pics of it?? Thanks!
    The previous gen, of the A6, had a production run from 1997 through 2004 (8 years.) We are now into year 4 for the current A6.

I had hoped for a freshening (got it.) I had hoped for some increases in content/options/features (got that, too.) I assumed the 3.2 would be goosed, turbo charged, replaced (er, re-engineered) to get more HP and torque (apparently we don't get that -- yet) and I had even gone so far as to assume that the rear biased quattro would be announced to replace the 50 50 bias if for no other reason than marketing (missed that one too.)

This (current) A6 is the best one yet and until the new A4 comes out next year was/is a showcase for much of the "upcoming" Audi-think about cars (styling, features, engineering) when it came to market in the second half of 2004.

My take: it needs about 10% more power at the base (US) model level.

In terms of styling and other things that may induce you to buy or hold off, I would say the A6 is now "middle aged." The next new will be the A4, then perhaps the A8, then the A6 as it will, based on history, soldier along quite nicely (power notwithstanding) for another 4 years. :shades: