Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    Well here goes - 54.

Old farts lookin for fast cars and loose women or loose cars and fast woman.

Mark, the $ difference is there but the power is there too. The gas - on the highway is as good if not better. The decibel level is much lower. The 8 purrs on the highway the 6 is throaty. I have to tell you I'm liking the lack of noise. Come on don't you wish you had a V8;-)
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Sure I'd like to have the V8 if the $ premium wasn't so steep.

My power lust would be, I'm sure, completely satisfied with a 3.0T at 333HP and about 300+ pound feet of torque from 1900 RPM's on up.

Regarding gas milage, my issue, my circumstances is that I don't get on the freeway that much so I would be using more gas on the roads I drive on.

If Audi offered me a new 4.2 equipped car with barely a premium price over the V6, I'd probably bite.

BTW I am 56.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    The gas mileage on my 06 4.2 is quite good considering it's almost 100 more hp. And I don't have FSI on the 06 model

The problem with the 3.2 is having to use sport mode and really having to get on the pedal when you need to drive aggressive. That always sucks more gas.

The 4.2 is so smooth and refined with the extra power on tap, it doesn't take much effort when you need to be more aggressive.

If you do mostly in-town miles, you're not going to get much more than 19/20 in-town on the 3.2. I average 18 or so on my 4.2 around town. Easy 24-25 hwy.

It might cost me $35-50 or so extra a month in gas for the 4.2, and I don't think that's too much of a penalty for the awesome performace and driving experience.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    It might cost me $35-50 or so extra a month in gas for the 4.2, and I don't think that's too much of a penalty for the awesome performace and driving experience.

Until we're at $4/gallon, that is.........
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    It is $7.50 in much of Europe already. We've only about 100 years worth of energy left in our land (in the US). Of couse this assumes we use ONLY our own reserves (which are triple the proven reserves of the Middle East) and no one elses.

The truth of the matter,studies say, that we have enough US owned reserves for 400 years at present rates of consumption if we only have to supply 25% of our own oil.

That ought to be enough time to figure out an alternative.

We may all enjoy V8 power -- supply is not exactly the problem.

In the meantime, I'll pass on the V8, for I am convinced much higer gas prices are coming.

Now, back to Audis, already in progress.
    If I drive 1000 miles month

@ 3.00 Gallon 20 mpg in city vs 17 mpg.

20 mpg is $150
    17 mpg is $176

$26 difference

@ 4.00 Gallon 20 mpg in city vs 17 mpg.

20 mpg is $200
    17 mpg is $235

$35 difference

@ 5.00 Gallon 20 mpg in city vs 17 mpg.

20 mpg is $250
    17 mpg is $294

Even @ $5 gallon, that's $44 month more.

Not a huge difference in driving a 3.2 vs 4.2 A6
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Mark-

Have you found much difference in gas mileage over time by manipulating tire pressures in your 3.2 Audi?
    It is $7.50 in much of Europe already.

And that's because of their high tax on gasoline.
    Front pressure = 39

Rear pressure = 36

I have never compared or contrasted, knowingly, the impact of manipulating the pressures.

I was "advised" to improve the handling of the car by the above pressures.

With respect to the V8, the Audi V8 is one of the best engines you can have, period.

The 3.2 V6 is also a very good engine -- but the V8 would be my choice were it not for the combination of the acquisition cost and the mileage.

Now, speaking ONLY for my own habits -- with the V8's (and I have had three Audi 4.2's and loved them) I found myself frequently "getting into the throttle" and consuming more fuel than would be normal if I didn't "punch it" -- but that is MY problem.

I actually enjoyed going from three V8's in a row to an Audi V6 2.7T connected to a 6 speed manual.

I suspect my upcoming fave engine will be the rumored 3.0T (333HP V6).

I love the instant torque of the Audi turbos.
  • ghdzghdz Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy a '96 A6.
    Can anyone give me some input?
    TCO at this point makes this purchase more expensive than a new 2008 A4 Avant -- unless you KNOW for sure for sure this will not require BREATHTAKINGLY expensive maint and replacement parts and repairs.
  • davreese0506davreese0506 Member Posts: 3
    I get into my car (1998 A6 Quattro) last Wednesday morning and without a problem arrived at school. After a long day, I rushed to my car and-Nothing. It didnt even attempt to turn over...the stater just clicked. I got the car towed and delivered to a shop. Being that it was 8 PM they were closed. Arriving in the morning the shop said it fired right up. They did a battery diagnostic check and it was fine. I picked it up and went along with my week like it was nothing. Today, exactly one week later i got into my car to go to school...no problem. I got in to leave and same exact problem!

ANYONE EVER HEAR OF THIS?!?!?!? THANKS!

Davidreese90hotmail.com if anyone has any direct answers.
    Testing just the battery is not enough.

You need to have a complete diagnostic at an AUDI dealer who has the proper equiptment to check over everything.

You could have an electrical problem or short that's causing a drain on the battery.
  • oodmoffoodmoff Member Posts: 1
    I found at a dealership a really, really nice, 2004 2.7T (white/beige) 1 owner 47k,
    the care has been treated immaculately, all records and the owners book stamped. The dealer wanted 23.9, he's now down to 20.9 I have a gut feeling the guy on the trade in (ya maybe a trade after reading this forum...dear lord) maybe got 15.5-16 on his trade...jsut a gut with the market value...like i said this car is in great shape, no wear on any of the plastic even...(saw it before it was detailed)...Obviously due to age I'm not going to get a CPO that old despite condition, do you think getting him down to 17.9-18.9 range and getting a extended warranty outside of his dealership is an ok deal....or even maybe thru him. I can see or feel anything wrong except for one item, there was a little steering wheel shake (about 45 or so not much different at 90mph), it felt like a balance issue, bearly noticable but there, non the less....My max on a new used audi would be around $27k....and I can throw a $1k-1.5k or so into maintenance a year if need be...First off is this a good deal? Secondly, I perfer the styling of the new body 05....but I can only afford 1st and 2nd gen (save some more and i have access to a friend whos a wholesaler..haven't got him looking yet as I'm not fully convinced im audi bound.)...anyways, am I better off without a few bells and whistles due to what i read in regards to all the electronic problems, also the turbo really helps with horses over the 3.2 up here in Colorado....any input would be appreciated....why can't these cars just be a little more dependable..oh yeah because then how would audi make all there money...

Darin
    I loved the 2004 A6 2.7T (SLine? as they all were at the end?) -- I really loved the 2.7T -- was this the uprated version (more than 250HP?)

I have been very pleased with Audi reliability (except the 2000-2001 rotors -- and 47K is young.

However, IF it does break, it will likely be breathtakingly exepensive if it turns out to be related to the turbo/engine.

I also am a fan of the color combo -- the price, however, at this juncture seems a few thou too high.

Get it down below 19 or 18 and I think you will be fine.

Self insure (keep some $ in reserve for "warranty" purposes and get the balancing taken care of.)
  • easynoneeasynone Member Posts: 12
    I purchased a 2007 Audi A6 new last January from XXX
    X Audi. TPMS light would come on everytime I start the car. Resetting TPMS didn't help. I called Santa Monica Audi and was told to take the car to any Audi service center.

I took to car to other dealership and was told horrible things. They said TPMS sensors are not installed and tires are not original tires which should be Conti or Michelin. Installed are General Tires.

Can it be possible any dealership will take parts off to keep and replace original tires with lower quality ones? If they really did what should I do? Should I contact Better Business Bureau?

Dealership is in Ca and I live in NJ.
    If this car was brand new, it should not have general tires. All A6's come usually come with Michelin on Conti as you said.

Go back to the Audi dealer you bought it from and they should replace them.

Only way you may be out of luck is if this car was sold used, and the previous owner changed them out.
    You say you bought it "new". I'd do a title search to see if it's been owned before. Otherwise ask if it was "executive driven", meaning it was used by the owner or manager of the dealership. In confronting the dealer you bought from, start by talking to the manager. Especially if the car was previously titled and therefore used, and was sold as new, consider having them buy it back from you. At the very least I'd demand factory spec. tires, if that's the only thing you have on them. Explain to them they could face legal action including exposing them for fraud.

Only way you may be out of luck is if this car was sold used, and the previous owner changed them out.

I agree.
    I guess you are right since I found a manual and warranty information for Michelin. Thnx.
    It was purchased as NEW and initial mileage was 37 when I took over the car. I also went through Carfax research and it was shown as never been registered before. Thank you for your advice and I will start by writing to dealership owner and manager. Thnx.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926

That's not the only way he's out of luck. He said he purchased it in January '07. It's May '08 and he's just now bringing this up?? :confuse: The dealership is going to lay all the blame on him at this point because so much time has passed that it's easy for them to say he changed out the tires. Though, the tires themselves have no bearing on the TPMS function.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Where are the cabin filters located on a 2005 A6 3.2?

Also, anybody know a good online source for routine maintenance items for Audi vehicles?

Dealer wants nearly 20.00 for 1 NGK sparkplug for it!!!! :surprise:

-Paul
    By "last January" I meant Jan 08 not Jan 07. Sorry for confusing you. Thnx.
  • misha2misha2 Member Posts: 1
    I need to buy an extended warranty for 2004 A62.7T. Any recommendations on where to buy.
    The dealers are the most expensive however they are in business for the next 4 years. Any reputable dealers?
    Michael
  • twinturbofeeztwinturbofeez Member Posts: 2
    I am fortunate to have 2 Certified Pre-Owned Quattro A6s parked in my garage. When it's time to go somewhere, I spend atleast 15 mins trying to decide which one to take. I have a beautiful loaded Gray Leather '06' 3.2 with only 48K. I would tell you the color however, I don't want you to pass out hysteria it's Flawless. And the last of the greats from what I've been told, an '04' TWIN-TURBO 2.7T LOADED S-LINE with Peanut-butter leather. Please make sure that you are sitting down with your seatbelts securely fastend. It only has 42K. The car and engine is so clean it makes you want to SMACK somebody's mama! The funny thing is that I bought that one for my wife. Everyday someone tells me that I am driving the wrong one.

Which one would you drive?
  • twinturbofeeztwinturbofeez Member Posts: 2
    I hear all the time from car lovers that I have a one of the most sought-out cars.
    04 twin-turbo 2.7T S-line. Can you tell me what's so special about it?
  • newasixownernewasixowner Member Posts: 2
    i just bought a 2001 A6 2.7T. Thecar did not come with an owners manual so i need some help. when i put the car in reverse after just starting it, the instrument panel says "service". what is this refering to?
  • kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    It means the car has missed its scheduled maintenance. Not a good sign for a car that you just purchased.
    This is a trick question, yes?

This car with its high output (especially the torque) engine is one fine sheen. Capable of easy and inexpensive upgrades (like a mild stage one "chip") it is also a tuners dream VEEE Hickle, too.

Sline trim was a nice addition too in that year.

In fact the only thing I can think of that makes this less than "perfect" is the five speed tiptronic yours almost certainly has.

You are driving a classic A6, a sleeper sedan hot rod -- one of the best ever.

At least for its time.
  • newasixownernewasixowner Member Posts: 2
    what is the S-Line that i keep hearing about? the A6 i bought is that tannish-gold color, which im not to fond about, but it has tan leather with the wood grain dash, extremely clean for the miles that is has on it. yeah it does have the tiptronic 5 speed in it. Im pretty sure its still completely stock but that car sure can move.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Well, "S-Line" used to mean that you got an Audi that was a little more special than the regular ones. IIRC, you got sport seats, sport suspension, bigger wheels, performance tires, aerodynamics kit, and some upgraded trim pieces. Now it's basically just a badge job. :sick: A pricey one at that. You get S-Line badges and you might still get a different front fascia. Check Audi's site for details.
    It's not just a badge job.

All 08 models have S line exterior standard. 18 inch 5 arm wheels, painted rear lower diffusor (was black plastic), more aggresive lower front spoiler and S line grill and interior badging are now included @ N/C.

The S line interior is $2000 extra, and that gives you the birch trim, sport seats, sport wheel and shifter.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    in a better world, a "sport" package or "S" badge has something to do with spring rate, sway bar diameter, ride height and shock/damper characteristics. Those things cost actual money to develop and keep track of, while cladding and different tires/wheels don't. Besides which, it's easy to add tire/wheel mods later -- the real stuff, not so much.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • fluid15fluid15 Member Posts: 60
    Agreed. Sport should mean performance and since this isn't an actual 'S' model, the priority should be on handling components and secondary on the seats/trim to hold you place during the spirited driving.
  • torino5torino5 Member Posts: 4
    Is anyone know how to change date and time on MMI and on bottom of tacometer(instrument cluster).I was reading manual for few times,but I didn't find any helpful information.
  • kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    If you choose radio in the MMI function there is a sub menus for time and date.
  • dave174dave174 Member Posts: 25
    Been looking for some months now among the Audi A6, Lexus GS 350, yea the Infiniti G35, and the Hyundai Genesis V8.

This is what I was offered by Audi
    6 cyl quattro AWD, premium pkg, tech package, S line interior pkg, music interface, nav system, 19" wheels, sport suspension, without any state taxes fees etc cost $46,704 with .9% APR.

Seems like a fair deal to me
  • dave174dave174 Member Posts: 25
    to all, bought the car A6 yesterday at the above price. Getting windows tinted tomorrow. Best experience dealing with Brian M with Audi Mission Viejo Ca. All aspects of the sale were flawless and professional. No pressure at all, take your time ,ask any questions you have and when your ready we can begin. Everyone I spoke with knew everything about all the models and their competition. I understand that Audi has first rate training schools for sales and service, it sure showed. Its the wife's car and she is really excited. They sold 14 cars from 4PM-8PM when I was there. Happy to be 1 of the 14. We made a great decision to go with Audi and Audi Mission Viejo
  • audigalaudigal Member Posts: 1
    Hi harryly.
    I don't know if you're still reading these message boards, but I'm curious about the result from your brake pad and catalytic converter issues. Coincidentally, I'm having the same issue right now. The difference is mine is a '02 A4, with about 77,000 miles.
    I had 80,000 mile preventative 4 weeks ago. Then, 3 weeks ago, the brake pad waring light came one. I took it back to the dealer and was told by my Audi Service technician that my brakes are good and to ignore the warning light. Then, at the end of last week, the MIL light came on. I took my car in yesterday, and this morning I'm told that the reset it, my car passed the trouble test, and that I can come pick it up without repair (like you said, they require 2 failures). This all just seems wrong.

What was your outcome?
  • volodosvolodos Member Posts: 7
    I purchased an A6 last August. Since then, I have been driven a loaner car (A4) almost 9 weeks becasue my a6 has been kept by local audi dealer to fix a probelm.

Even if they have spent total 9 weeks to figure out and been trying to resolve the issue the car has, still they have not resolved the issue. Now what can i handle this situation?

I am very skeptical to keep that. In order to evade a lemon law, they have not wanted to release the car before they confirm that the issue is resolved.

This means that I may drive a4 several weeks more.

I am really regretting about purchasing a A6 instead of lexus GS series ( expected better reliability).

the best thing I want is to return and purchase another brand.

Any suggestion for this situation would be appreciated.

Thanks a ton.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Has your long term A4 loaner experienced any problems?

The 09 A4 is very attractive and similar in size to the A6. Or if you like the Euro feel there are others that are compelling (C class, 5 series etc)

This is assuming you could get out of your existing situation. I would followup with the lemon law; 9 weeks is unacceptable

It's difficult to stay with a brand after a bad (terrible) experience
  • hearthawkhearthawk Member Posts: 9
    Just wondering if anyone had suggestions for replacement tires for my Audi A6 Avant. Mostly highway driving in the Midwest with 3-4 snows per year. Not looking to change tires seasonally so touring all-season tires most practical. I have ContiPro 245/45/17 inch tires now that made it almost 35,000 miles. I would like a tire with a little better wear but no increase in road noise. Research thus far shows good marks for General Altimax HP and poor marks for Michelin Pilot MXM4. Any info would be appreciated.
  • mark49mark49 Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a model stated wondering what the large service costs on avarage and the small service oil change basic? Love driving the car
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Haven't had any major costs on my wife's 05 A6 3.2. It's all been under warranty.

That said, I do as much as I can myself. I replaced her brakes myself easily. I do the oil changes (the filter is on TOP and easy to get to) and I have a fluid extractor to get the oil out, but I can put it on wheel ramps to get the remaining oils out. The ONLY thing hers will see the dealer for is if something breaks.

-Paul
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Good day to all of you. This past weekend, my wife and I purchased an '04 A6 3.0 Quattro with 63K miles on it. The car was in better than good condition, but slightly less than excellent. The maintenance was on point and it showed. The car drives, rides and performs extremely well and I think we made a good purchase. My question to the forum is...should there be things I need to look for on this car? Is it known to have any issues that have plagued other owners??? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Congrats, Mike. Nice to see you over here! :)
    Thanks Pat, I promise to play nice over here! ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It never occurred to me you would do otherwise. :shades:

Tell us more about your A6. Were you looking to add a car or did something just work out for you? You do still have your Azera?
    :blush: Oh Pat!

Actually...unloaded the '07 Saturn Outlook which was our 2nd vehicle, so we needed to replace it. So...it was really a move to scale back, however...walking into this deal, it was hard to walk away from it. Not to mention, it made the wife happy, so it was a win/win deal!!!

We started looking Thursday evening and came across one that was just in terrible condition. The salesman said, "Yeah...she's a tomboy, but when you take her out to run...she'll show you just how she can go." Sorry...I'll pass. The 2nd one was actually a twin of the one we ended up buying, but with 30K more miles and a cigarette smell on the inside. We left, but kept it on our list.

Friday morning, our first stop was where we found the one we bought. The exterior was practically pristine to be honest. Hard to believe it was an '04 with 63K miles. Got in and interior was immaculate, no worn buttons, no buttons or knobs broken and the rear seats don't even look like they've been sat in. Front seats have, but don't look like they are 5 years old at all (actually better condition than the leather in my 3 year old Azera). Carfax showed only 2 previous owners and the maintenance was kept up faithfully. That final push was that the wife fell in love with it. Took it for a test spin and everything was just so easy to fall in love with...I actually want one for myself! LOL

The only negative thing we've found is that it didn't have the 2nd remote key and the rear speakers don't work (non-Bose system) which isn't a problem for me as I intended to upgrade the sound system anyway. :shades:

I still have my Azera, as the plan is to drive it till the wheels fall off (sounds good, right?).