Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• shaunsshauns Member Posts: 24
    A work colleague of mine recently purchased an LS430 after considering German iron, notably the MB S400 series. He chose the LS430 because it was every bit the match for the MB, but only $55K instead of $90K.

After riding in it, I can see why he chose it. The car is absolutely silent. Compared to the A6 or other German cars, there is almost no road noise. Only the slightest hint that the road surface underneath is rough.

Curiously enough, the LS430 is oriented more towards the REAR seat passengers than the front. One of the optional packages includes stereo, environmental, and seat massage/tilt controls in the armrest of the rear seat, plus a refrigerator.
    On the down side, it sure is ugly, and the interior, though of the highest quality, doesn't have the masculine elegance of the A6.

Good luck with your purchase. I'll wait til the new model change (2002?) to see if Audi has addressed the A6's few deficiencies. I just can't get myself to like the current sedan's exterior styling, and can't see paying over $50K to get good acceleration without a turbo.

Shaun
  • moimememoimeme Member Posts: 28
    You can tack on a 3rd-party NAV, but I don't believe you can retrofit for the built-in one. You *can* add on the analog phone. Both are just incredible to use from the built-in information center between the tach and speedometer. Features like these make the car feel as if they were genuinely designed in. Wait a sec...they couldn't work this well unless they were, and it adds tremendously to the experience.

It's even better when you're on the phone talking to someone and they say "Hey, come join us for dinner at Chez Buffalo Butt" and you don't know where it is. While you're on the phone, you can dial in the destination and your Audi Nav WILL TELL YOU WHAT TIME YOU'LL ARRIVE!

I frequently use the NAV, just to get an estimate of my arrival time or in case there will be a traffic jam. Hit traffic? Hit the jam button, pick an alternate route (based on extra distance) and bingo... "Hey guys, got caught in traffic, I'll be there in about 12 minutes."

Sometimes the NAV even finds you ways to get to your own house that you didn't know about.

The NAV voice in French sounds downright sexy, BTW.

Oh, and have you ever been traveling and really needed to find a gas station, a restaurant or just wanted to take a break and find a tourist spot to visit? You can dial in LOCAL to get a list of gas stations, restaurants, etc., listed by the distance they are from where you are. Example: find the nearest 76 station.

You can also program a stopover. Say, you're headed to the restaurant and have to stop at the cleaners first. When you arrive at your stopover, the NAV will re-plot your primary course and be ready to roll when you get back into the car.

I also love that, if you pass your exit and make a mistake, it just recalculates and gives you the next set of instructions. If there's a detour, take the detour. If someone won't let you merge, just keep going. You no longer care as much as if someone has given you firm, written directions.

Finally, when you're getting ready to make a turn or take some action, the NAV *does* show you a distance bar that shrinks as you get closer. It also tells you three times when you need to take an action. Example: Prepare to turn left, Turn left in one quarter mile, Turn next left. These are speed adjusted, so if you're creeping along, you'll get warned a few hundred feet before. If you're flying, you'll get the prepare message as much as 1 mile out.

I just can't tell you how practical and useful this is. It's NOT a toy. I no longer get frustrated trying to work my away around the Bay area (I'm relatively new here). I fearlessly just go, while my friends are calling for directions. The only problem is when the Nav CD is out-of-date; they update it once per year.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I thought the Nav CD update was every 6 months -- I hope my info is correct, but it almost makes sense that it would just be annually -- the amount of work to get the data file collected and updated must be substantial.

Anyone who is considering a new Audi, should, after reading the past several posts on the subject, be sold on Nav (and since it comes with the park assist (on the A6), which is also pretty cool, too -- well I would say it is approaching a "no brainer").

And the factory phone with the center dash readout and the buttons on the steering wheel -- fantastic!

Now, let's lobby for tire pressure readout and auto tire-pressure regulation. Or, how about an active suspension based on the allroad technology, automatic cruise control and brake lights that get brighter the harder the brake pedal is pressed? High and lowbeam Xenons would be great, too. What about the new 6spd tiptronic and 18" wheels on an A6 etc, etc, etc.

Somebody stop me.

I love technology.
  • tmayer1tmayer1 Member Posts: 7
    This morning I took my 2.7 in for my 3600 mile
    oil change. I get a coupon from my dealer
    Laurel Audi in westmont IL. The cost for my
    service is $39.95. thats with Castrol Gtx oil.

While I was there they also changed my wiper
    blades. This they did on there own. I never said a word.

Also they washed my car. While I was waiting I went into the showroom and checked out the new
    S8. Man what a great looking Car.

So for 45 Bucks (including tax) I recieved and oil change, new wiper blades, and a car wash.
    Also, everytime some one walked by they asked if
    they could help.

I don't Know if this is exactly lexus standards
    but I left Smiling.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    I thought one of the Audi perks was free maintenance and service for the warranty period. Do I have that wrong?

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Northland Audi in Cincinnati has been great (not perfect) for over 23 years.

Wiperblades, washed and vacuumed, tires dressed, fluid levels topped off, pick up and delivery service if I ask, free carwashes for life (every Saturday). Cook outs at the dealership -- special orders of Audi accessories and clothing from the Audi Boutique, pick up of my plates (and they put them on -- not just the first time when you go from temp tag to permanent, every time).

Follow up calls -- "how was the service?"

A tin of cookies whenever you buy a car.

Christmas presents (one year a set of Audi Coasters, next year a walnut shift nob for my wife's car, pen and pencil sets, key fobs, etc.).

All the sales staff appear interested in you even if you are not their customer.

The service manager is a jewel -- my wife's power seat broke in one of her Audi A4's -- ON A SUNDAY -- and the seat was too far back for her to drive the car -- the Service Manager, Bill, came to our house (even had his son with him, a little little boy) and reconnected the Power Seat and put a retainer on the plug so that the problem would not happen again -- ON A SUNDAY!!!!).

The finance guy is great too -- I traded in a 2000 A6 4.2 on a 2001 A6 4.2 and I got the Audi loyalty "deal" even though they (the dealer) had leased the 2000 A6 from a local bank -- which technically is outside the parameter of the Audi Loyalty deal.

The list goes on and on.

I know, cause I have read the postings, that this may not be typical -- but here in Cincinnati, when you want an Audi, you go to Northland Audi (I have never heard anything bad about the other Cincinnati Audi dealer -- Beechmont -- so this is NOT meant to dis them -- in fact, I would have to assume that they are quite good, also. We have had such good experiences with Northland, we don't even shop around.)

How is Lexus, generally speaking, by comparison?

PS, I assume that there was a charge for the oil change because it was an EXTRA oil change or that the owner wanted special oil -- if I want Mobil 1 there is a charge, if I want an oil change "inbetween" I am charged for EVERY OTHER oil change and the other remaining changes are free. At least this could explain the reason for the charge.
    sorry, I should have stated that this oil change was extra to my normal service.

This is my first German car. I have always owned
    big American Boats. I always kept the cars for 10 years plus. I always religiously changed the oil
    at 3,000 miles and the one thing I always think of is when I drove these cars to the junk yard, no matter how bad the car was falling apart the motor
    ran great. I Quess old habits are hard to break.

I am sure 6 Months or 8,000 miles is fine but
    I figure if I have to dish out 40 Buck a year
    so my Turbo Motor has fresh oil it is very
    cheap Insurance.

P.S I have no intention of driving this car to the
    junk yard. I will trade it in for a new S6 in about 5 years. (If I can Part with it)
    1. Your car doesn't have cruise control? I thought it was built into all A6's. Mine has it.

2. I wish they would put Parktronic on the front bumper too. Don't EVER scrape the front of your car on concrete. If you do, don't back up while in the car. Make it as light as possible and push the car backward in neutral or you might rip the front skirt off.

3. You *can* get 18" wheels for the A6, dealer option for the 4.2.

4. I'm VERY impressed by your dealer. Anderson-Behel has proven impressive for sales (Geordie was my sales person...Joseph was my exceptionally knowledgable finance guy). I've been in for a quick steering wheel reprogramming and service was very good. I'm only at 2100 dreamy miles so far.

Wish they'd give me cookies, but then, I wouldn't eat them in the car...oh well...

5. Changing the break-in oil too quickly is *not* a good idea unless you ensure that AFTER 2000 miles, you run the car somewhat hard to seat the rings, BEFORE the first oil change.
    Sure, my A6 has NORMAL cruise control -- but, there is a Bosch technology that some cars have that either warns or "assists" automatically in keeping an assured clear distance between your car and one in front of it -- hence the name Automatic Cruise Control -- ACC can assist you by applying up to 20% braking force when some nitwit "cuts you off" in traffic (freeway traffic -- I am not suggesting to use NORMAL/ACC cruise control in heavy traffic). Also a feature of ACC is a warning that you are within some parameter of distance and speed away from the vehicle in front of you.

Parktronic front and rear are available on Audi A6's in other countries -- and in the US on the A8 and S8.
  • stalknacestalknace Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a 98 A6 2.8 Quattro. It is supercharged, chipped, exhaust, lowered, and 18in wheels. It has 73k miles. I want to know how the reliability will be on it. Is there any kind of special or preventative maintencance that i should do?? Also, my mechanic said that it has HID headlights. Is this true, it really doesnt look like it? So far, I love it. Ive had it for 4 days. It is loaded except for a cd player. Does anyone know how much an audi cd changer costs? When i turn my brights on, i have to hold the lever, is there something wrong? And the switch to unlock the windows wont stay unlocked. I have to hold the switch down for rear passengers to operate their windows, is it supposed to be like this or is there a problem??

PS-If there is anyone that knows a lot about 98 A6's, e-mail me at stalknace@cs.com.
    Thanks
  • larry104larry104 Member Posts: 1
    1)Do all 2.7T's have a vibration between 55-75 MPH or just some? 2) Does this only occur with the sport suspension option? 3)Do 4.2's with sport suspension also have this vibration? 4)Do the sport package seats in the 4.2 differ from those of the 2.7T with sport package?
  • blei1blei1 Member Posts: 11
    Well, I believe that alot of 2.7s and 2.8Q have a vibration between 55-75mph. Lets put it this way I posted back in September about my vibration problems. After 6 trips to the dealer, a Better Business Bureau hearing, and exam from Audis tech expert(as ordered by the BBB), I am in the middle of a Lemon Law suit not scheduled until Nov. 13. Also have contacts with other customers with same problem and no solution. Audis attorneys have requested to have another expert look at my car on Mar. 26. I cannot believe that I am actually still going through this. This problem started in Feb. 2000. Had tires replaced by expert, drove off of lot and car was immediately vibrating. Expert never contacted me after exam. I am so disgusted. My advice to anyone with vibration problems is to definitely seek other help, because believe me Audi is not willing to cooperate. Anyone interested may want to search Audiworld.com under"vibrations"

Renee Blei
    2000 2.8 A6Q
    stelrsgal@aol.com
  • mhpressmhpress Member Posts: 1
    I have heard conflicting claims about the optional rear side air bags. Do the real wheels and axle provide enough protection? Alternatively are the rear side air bags possibly dangerous for a napping or smaller passenger.
    These are good things -- the airbags.

The rear wheels and axle provides some protection, sure -- but they are in no way substitutes for the extra protection that the airbags and sideguard airbags (ceiling) provide.

The airbags are meant to be used with the lap/shoulder belt combination -- not without. So if you are napping and wearing your seatbelt and the airbag detonates, it will probably save you from broken body parts -- a good thing.
  • actionmanactionman Member Posts: 15
    I have always tried to change oil every 3-4,000 miles, whether Jaguar or Chev. Now I have a 96 A6q @ 130,000 miles. Seems that I read in the owner's manual to change at 6 or 8,000. I would assume it's better to get fresh oil more often. Comments??

Also, is it a do-it-yourself job? Underside looks so nice and clean. Where is the drain plug? Oil filter? What size wrench?

Absolutely a great car. I imaging it will get picked more this summer than the XJ6 (though the Jag has the appearance factor - in my opinion)

You all offer great info. Thanks for your help.
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Hi, y'all. I am in the market for an A6 2.7T and found that there is an upcoming design change or facelift for this model. There are 2 photos available on the Automobile Magazine (March 2001 issue), but no other details are available. I need a new car A.S.A.P., as my Audi 90 is more than 10 years old. Maintenance and repair costs are higher. In the meantime, I saw the photos of the 2002 A4 on the Audiworld website, and it looks good. A few minutes earlier, I stumbled upon more details about this new model (the A4) and found that it is wider, longer, and more spacious. It seems to be on the horizon now (should be available by Fall, at the latest). My question is, should I wait for the new A6? The magazine article said it should be available in June this year, meaning, they are shipping these cars out of Germany or Hungary by this time, but dealers know absolutely nothing about the car or its time of arrival. The NY Auto Show is coming up in about a month. Any thoughts, any one? Would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance. Mario
  • ridgeoneridgeone Member Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a Audi A62.7t. One dealer says take with 17" wheels. Another dealer says take with 16" wheels because if I take with 17" wheels I'll have to change to snowtires in the winter because 17" wheels that car comes with no good in the snow. I prefer not to have 2 sets of tires if possible which means stay with 16". Does anyone have information on this. I could use some help with this, as this will be my first quattro.
  • cubanaudicubanaudi Member Posts: 17
    As an owner of a 2000 2.7t, I would highly recommend this car. It is absolutely great. I have nothing but excellent things to say of the car, and couldn't be happier. I have not heard anything about any changes for the 2002 model year. The A4 is about to be introduced, but if anything, the changes to the A6 would be minor cosmetic changes. I would definitely wait for the NY Auto Show. If there are any changes, then you decide. Quite frankly, I haven't heard of any changes. Any how, get the car, be it a 2001 or 2002 model. Trust me when I tell you you won't be disappointed.
  • soledocsoledoc Member Posts: 52
    I'm looking at these two cars for my wife. She has always like BMWs (which I don't ) but has been leaning toward the A6 2.8 with quattro. Safety is a concern to me. I drive swedish cars for that reason. Has anyone compared the A6 with the BMW 525i (or similar '00 528i)? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    There are several issues: Do you want 17" or 16"? If you want 17", do you want them with or without the sport package? There are tradeoffs, and it depends on your priorities and personal preferences. You do need different tires for snow than the summer high performance tires that come with the car. If you want good performance, plus capability for moderate snow, consider Dunlop SP5000's. They are an ultra performance all season that has proven effective in snow. Some purchasers have been successful negotiating with a tire changeout with their dealer as part of the deal. SP5000's only cost about as much as the stock performance tires on the 17" wheels. It shouldn't be a a big deal for your salesman to do a no cost swap. If you want to discuss this further, I'm at tmsci@worldnet.att.net
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    The Audi vs. BMW (and vs. Mercedes) debates have received a lot of attention here during the year or so I've participated on the forum. It will come as no surprise to you (since this is an Audi forum) that the overwhelming majority of writers here prefer the A6, as do I. Here are a few supporting thoughts:

I own a 2000 A6 2.8 quattro. Before ordering this car, I did the usual research, took the test drives, and (I'm a little ashamed to say) played more than one round of "stroke the salesman". I came away with absolutely no question that the A6 (in any configuration) offers the best combination of luxury, sport, performance, styling, and German quality one can buy. Factor in price and it becomes even more of a no-brainer.

- Exterior styling is stunning. It's not only beautiful, but it looks like nothing else on the road. Contrast this with any BMW; how many other cars do you now see with the same roofline, especially the "dogleg" c-pillar?

- No car manufacturer comes close to equalling Audi when it comes to interiors. They're the most beautiful of any production auto, in my opinion. Not only that, but Audi gives you many interior choices, with no fewer than 6 different interior colors/combos, 2 different woods, 3 seating materials, 3 leather textures, 2 seat stitch patterns, and 3 shades of metal trim. Add to that the car's incredible comfort, FULL instrumentation, available heated F+R seats, standard in-dash CD player, power lumbar support, available L+R memory front seats, standard genuine wood trim, "puddle lights", dual zone climate controls, tilt/telescope wheel, and the list goes on.

- This car is an absolute delight to drive. I don't know how much of it has to do with quattro, but my A6 provides the best driving experience I've ever had, PERIOD. It wins against BMWs, Mercedes, Volvos (I've owned 2 and still have a 940 Turbo), Saabs, you name it. I feel a connection with this car that I have difficulty articulating.

- Finally (and this is a touchy one), there's the image thing. Where I live and work (California), the image of the "typical" BMW driver is one that I absolutely would not want to be associated with. This isn't any type of bigotry or false stereotyping, either. While there are obviously many exceptions, I've just seen way too many BMW drivers who are among the rudest and most in-your-face drivers out there; I guess what I'm trying to say is that these drivers have completely turned me off to the brand.

Good luck with your decision!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I own a 99.5 2.8Q and my wife and I looked at many other cars (including the 528).

The only thing the 528 did better was handling. The A6 has more lean when pushed in corners(I did not have a sport package option).

Everything else the A6 does much better. The car is very well "blended" between power/sport & luxury. The 528 had more pull from the line, but I don't drive like that anymore so it wasn't a concern. The A6 does have very good passing power, which is what I was looking for.

I really like the exterior styling of both cars, but the 528 interior looks like a mid 80's car compared to the A6. The price advantage of the A6 (plus quattro) really made the deal for me.

I would not have been unhappy with the 528, but when there is better for less it is really hard to turn it down.
    actionman ???? Ok let me quess, you are a wild and crazy guy.
    Sorry could not resist. As per you oil change comment. I own a 2000
    A6 2.7.I currently have 11,000 miles. I love the car more every time i drive it. I also am from the old school of 3 to 4 Thousand mile oil changes. But my first oil change was at 7500 miles per the dealers advice. Special break in oil i was told. As you probably know my car is covered under the audi service plan , Oil and service every 8,000 or 6 months. I take this one step further. Every 3-Months I get a coupon from my dealer for a $39.95 Oil change and filter. Normal charge is only $48.00 So every three months or 3500 miles my car is serviced by the Dealer. Not only do they change the oil they look the car over too. Last visit they threw on a new set of wipers blades.
    so for 42.00 Tax included hey changed my oil and filter and new wiper
    blades and washed the car. I dont think you can get a better deal from
    an oil change place. I also like the idea that my dealer does all the work.
    By all means get the 17" wheel/sport pkg option if your other consideration is the 16" wheel/sport pkg option. Neither of the sport packages have "great snow tires" -- they are, in fact called summer tires. The so-called standard tires are "all weather" tires -- and they, too are pretty much a compromise -- a little better in the snow, a little worse elsewhere.

Where do you live? If you live in a city that has Cincinnati Winters -- you will find that the Summer tires coupled with the quattro/abs/ESP technology will be fine in all but a very few instances of "winter."

If, on the other hand, you live in Mich, or Minn or Maine or parts of Colorado etc. -- you will probably need winter tires -- even over the "all weather tires."

If you absolutely cannot change wheel/tires for that 2 - 5 months of winter (based on your geography) -- go for the High Perf. or better yet Ultra High Perf. all-season tires (make sure they pass the "quite test" -- scores are at www.tirerack.com). But still go for the 17" wheel/tire combo option on the the sport pkg -- overall handling will be crisper, with virtually no change in ride characteristics (the A6 2.7T with a sport suspension and 17"ers is a joy to drive).

You also didn't mention -- 6spd manual (hopefully) or 5spd tip. Both are very good, the 6spd is a BLAST!

I have the 5spd tip (no manual is avail in US for the 4.2) and I am 97% satisfied -- just wish I could shift when the mood hits me -- the tip doesn't fool anyone -- it is a very, very good Automatic with some manual control -- not a slam, just not as much control and fun.

Anyway go for the 17"'s -- my guess is that the 16" Dealer didn't have a 17" that he could sell you.
  • deejmandeejman Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody:

I've got a '01 A6 2.7T coming in April, with all the trimmings, but I'm concerned with the latest CR Annual Auto Issue and the following two submissions:

1. Pg. 33 - Audi A6 - Last sentence: "Our recent survey shows reliability has fallen below average, and we can no longer recommend the A6."

2. Pg. 75 - "Used cars to avoid" - Audi A6 '98, Audi 2.7T '00

Does anyone have any idea where this comes from? For a car in the mid 40's, I definitely want it to be reliable, and why was the '00 2.7T specifically selected to be avoided? What's wrong with that model?

This really gives me a queasy, uneasy feeling. On the flip-side, it's a Car and Driver 10-Best. Who's right, is it a great car or should I avoid it like the plague?

Thanks!
    , but Car and Driver is right. You will feel more pampered in an A6 than in most any new car under $70K. However, the 2.7T is very high tech.

If you're not an enthusiast, I suggest you get either the 2.8 (which provides moderate acceleration) or the 4.2 (which is an all-out V8 that's comparable to the 2.7T in performance, but not a pocket-rocket). The 2.7T is absolutely awesome...just like I prefer the 1.8T in an A4 over the 2.8 in the same car. The 4.2 will give you far fewer engine problems over the long haul.

I've had my 4.2 for 3000 miles now, since Jan. 31st. The car literally keeps getting better. Programmatically, the computers allow you more performance as the engines break-in. BTW, don't dog the car out during break-in or make your first change too early.

I pass Harley's and the women stare at the car. I accidentally end up at 100 mph because the car feels more stable at high speed than when it's at 20 mph. The interior of the car makes new Lexus and BMW owners jealous with envy. During rain, bad weather or just plain emergency driving, Quattro shines through.

Check out AudiWorld.com and you'll see that there are several common A6 problems, but few have any serious problems beyond noisy turbo bypass valves and angst over which wax to use.
    This magazine, CR, drives me crazy. I have no clue what they're on about the A6 2.7T or the '98 A6.

Nothing mechanical is perfect.

On Audis:

Everything is paid for for 50,000 miles -- and an extended Audi warranty is available to go beyond 50,000 miles, if you are worried. I generally do not keep the cars longer than 30 months, so perhaps I am not a reliable witness, but my wife and I have had 24 Audis, the first a 1978 5000 -- our 1979 Audi Fox GTI used oil like it was gasoline -- now that one was a problem. My 1987 5000 CS turbo quattro went through front brake rotors pretty regularly (all paid for by Audi thankfully) and I blew the rear door tweaters -- other than that, every one of our Audis have had some very minor to minor problems that have always been rectified at no charge (yes, I do grant that there is the issue of inconvenience).

We have also owned a 1988 BMW 325 iX and a VW Quantum (pre-Passat) and a Jetta and an AMC Eagle and a Jeep Grand. The BMW was very expensive to maintain -- new brakes and rotors (not covered by BMW) at less than 40,000 miles, every single oil change for some reason always always cost $100.00, new tires after 11,000 miles, battery (which was in the trunk and not a DIY) didn't make it 30 months, and on and on and on. Everything that went wrong with the BMW was always considered "routine" and hence not covered by any owner protection plan -- the damn thing just constantly needed "tweaking."

All the Audi's, except the 1978 5000 and 1979 Fox GTI have had low maintenance requirements and starting in the late 80's it was always free.

I kept a 1988 80 quattro to 100,000 miles and it needed a new battery, brake pads (not rotors)(several sets of tires, of course) and a new master cylinder and ABS electronics which was paid for by an Audi extended warranty which I purchased @ 40,000 miles for some reason (thankfully). Oh yes, the clutch on my wife's 1986 4000CS quattro died and it was replaced for free.

My dealer virtually always loans us a car while ours is in the shop, always washes it when it is in for service, etc.

In sum:

Audis are incredible to drive, safe and fun
    Audis are "bargains" compared to BMW's and Mercs
    Audis with quattro are virtually in a class by themselves (although this IS changing)
    Audis break (all cars break, i.e.)
    Audis are virtually always maintained and fixed for free for a long long time
    Audis are NOT Toyata Camrys or Honda Accords or any other cars with the "reputation" that they virtually never break and require little maintenance

My money goes with the folks at Car and Driver, not Consumers Reports at least as far as the Reliability Issue is concerned. If they are indeed less reliable then, they are still "worth it!"
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    I've put 5,000 totally trouble free miles on my '01 2.7T, and enjoyed it more than any car I've owned (including M/B). The '00 model had a problem with the fuel tank sensor that caused a lot of grief when many owners ran out of gas unexpectantly. If you're shopping for a washing machine or vacuum cleaner, check CR..but they're completely out of their league in judging automobiles.
  • tubeytubey Member Posts: 39
    I too was somewhat concerned about the A6' fall from grace in CR. It was their raves in late '98 that convinced me I could, at last, go near an Audi. Previously I had always been pretty gun shy because, although I found the vehicles very attractive, too many of the people I knew that had them had annoying problems, particularly with the electrical bits.

If you will visit Audiworld.com you will find quite a few people who agree that the 2000 2.7T's had too many problems, but the folks with 2001's have had next to none. As for the '98's, I know that Automobile Magazine had some very nasty electrical problems on their year-long test car. And the fuel sending units have been a problem right along, but not for everyone. Mine have always functioned fine, but the dealer replaced them last month anyway because of a recall.

Mark is right. No car is perfect. I just spent $911 for 60k maintenance on a '96 Subaru Outback. Because the oil pump was leaking, they replaced it under warranty (which expires in two weeks). While they had the oil pump off they asked if I wanted to replace the timing belt (which otherwise would not be replaced until 105k)and I told them to go ahead. It will add to the resale value of the car.

I've had many Hondas and one Acura and none of them were perfect. Reliable? Yes, usually. I must say, however, that for the mileage that I've driven it (17,000 so far) my '99 A6 is far and away the most troublefree new car I've ever owned.

Go ahead. Take the plunge. The positives far outweigh the negatives. And if you're still feeling squeamish, invest in an extended warranty. There are some good ones out there, and not all that unreasonably priced either.
  • nszabonszabo Member Posts: 19
    I think that they only can give a special rating twice,its like that in car and driver.
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    My A6q is coming off lease and going back to Audi after 39 months and 37,000 miles. I paid for 15K/yr but only did about 12K. I.T.S. is the company Audi Financial Services uses to "inspect" the car for excessive wear and tear. Needless to say, I am an enthusiast and take care of my vehicles. Has anyone had any experience with ITS inspections and, if so, were they fair or a pain? I've never leased before and am rather glad to send this A6q back due to the problems I've had with it. I will wash, detail and polish it before they inspect it but wonder if I should expect any surprises.

My sincere thanks to anyone who cares to respond.

Mark
    Thanks for your input. I'll definitely decide after the NY Auto Show. Maintenance on my Audi 90 is depleting my already skinny bank account, and I really need a reliable car. I'll take the new A6 even if it just a facelift. I find it hard to justify (to myself, at least) buying an '01 if the new one makes the current model look shabby. But if the facelift is just changing the head- and tail-lights to the new Euro styles, I'll probably take the '01 if the equipment on the '02 is not as good as the current model. I'll probably save a little money, too. My wife and I will drive only manual trans, for personal reasons. Now, if the new A4 has the same equipment as the current A6 2.7TQ, that will be my next car (hopefully this summer), and I'll get the A6 with comparable equipment when it becomes available. I know what you mean about the car's performance. I am on my 2nd Audi and I've looked around and researched all cars within $ 30,000 +/- range of the cars I buy. Nothing beats Audi, perfomance and value combined. I drive for fun and thoroughly enjoy myself in the Audi. I see you have had the same experience. To all, drive safely. Bye. Mario
  • len13len13 Member Posts: 5
    I have only returned one leased car, and I don't remember the inspection co(it was a Nissan), but they were pretty lax in their inspection. They didn't even start the car. As for washing and polishing and detailing, my school of thought (and there may be those who don't agree) is don't waste the time/money. If you do have minor road dings and scratches, a dirty car will help camouflage them. A clean car will only make them more prominent for the inspector to see. A shiny car makes dimples stand out.
    Like everything else in life the answer to most questions is "it all depends."

I have found that the "cleaner" (I don't think I would wax it, though) the car -- inside and out -- the less likely you are to be "dinged" by the inspector. Of course, I agree that if the dirt can actually hide a scratch or a dent (which I think would be unlikely) and that this scratch or dent is considered "above expectations for normal wear and tear" you might not be charged.

My experience is that some "rule book" somewhere has designated that certain scratches, dents, paint chips, etc. ARE normal wear and tear.

I would clean the car -- inside and out -- put your best foot forward.

My experience with Audi owners is that their cars are usually so clean you could eat off the floormats -- I know people (Audi owners) that keep those tacky plastic sheets over the top of the factory carpeted floor mats in their Audi's.

Even for me that is too extreme, I just have a "spare set" of factory floor mats (ordered them from audiusa.com) -- and when I have the car cleaned, inside and out, I have the floor mats, not the carpet, shampooed and put the wet ones in the trunk and replace them with the spare set, and so on. At the end of 30 months, my cars' interiors generally look virtually new and the exteriors "appear" to have less than "normal wear and tear" by virtue of the fact that my Dealer has a service called "Shiny Toys" (exterior detailing) that I use once or twice a year ($80/a crack).

Clean cars perform better -- I read that somewhere -- probably psychological, if true.
  • guswirthguswirth Member Posts: 4
    Is Audi going through the 5000 troubles again. Just purchased a A6 2.8. and car was dead twice. Battery replaced. Rattle, sounds like suspension, dealer can't find. One rear seat does not heat. Dealer said it was just to take the chill out, but the other seat heats. Have (700 seven hundred)miles on it, 400 going to dealer. Anyone else having the old Audi problems that almost killed them a few years ago? To bad they can't get their quality up.
    It is troubling, even if we don't too many complaints going around. What I would suggest is, check if your state has a Lemon Law, and if so, find out what the requirements are. Either way, you should document your problems, contacts (by phone, in person, etc., with details, such as dates, times, person you spoke to, and their response, the time it took to "fix" the problem, the outcome of the "fix", etc.), costs (travel time, lost work hours, etc.), inconvenience, and go up the Audi hierarchy (service person, manager, dealership management, territory manager, regional manager, Audi USA, all the way to Germany). Also, see if your state has a consumer protection office. If none, you can contact the Attorney General of your state for guidance or directions. Also, look up the Better Business Bureau. Check also your documentation if there is an arbitration clause and when the clause is triggered. Watch your dates, and make sure you don't miss any deadlines. Good luck. Mario
  • komoperkomoper Member Posts: 2
    I now have my Audi 1 month.So far so good! Ihave driven it up to 90mph.,and found it performs beautifuly.Returned my 1998 leased GS400 to the Lexus dealer, and no proplems.In 3 weeks they mailed back my full security deposit. The 2.7T is not as roomy as the Lexus,but out performs it in every way, with a smaller engine. So far all is well! One more thing, if you lease your Audi,they will take larger refundable security deposits to bring down lease cost on your car. If you can afford it, it's the way to go.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    I've returned 3 leased cars. All were in good shape - no extra charges for any. I made sure they were clean and shiney, in and out. Don't know if I can agree that dirt would camoflage problems. Inspectors can find anything they want. Human nature being what it is, I believe inspectors who see a good looking car will assume it's been as well cared for as it was, and be less critical.
  • nszabonszabo Member Posts: 19
    I got my audi in September a 2001 Audi A6 2.8Q and it has 8,000 miles on it so far but not any problems. Do you people have 2000's??
    Due to a series of events that I will not go into here I owned a 1999 A6 2.8q, a 2000 A6 4.2 and I currently have a 2001 A6 4.2 w/sport suspension.

Problems:

'99 kept for 15,000 miles = ZERO PROBLEMS after intial couple of hundred miles when the exhaust manifold had to be tightened.

'00 kept for 23,000 miles = two sets of front Rotors (one within one week of pick up of the car), new tires @ 20,000 miles (17"Dunlop SP 9000's) and one dealer caused problem (they nicked an ignition wire) other than that ZERO PROBLEMS

'01 has 4,000 miles = two flat tires (I can't really blame Audi or Pirelli, there was a screw in the tire) so ZERO PROBLEMS

My wife has a 2001 225HP TT Coupe -- 15,000 miles, new set of tires (paid for by Audi) at less than 12,000 miles (GREAT CAR, ZERO PROBLEMS).

I have no experience with 1998 A6's, although my wife did have a 1998 A4 2.8 q/sport, kept it 47,000 miles -- one new set of tires, ZERO PROBLEMS.

When I say ZERO I mean other than taking the car to the dealer about every 5,000 miles for service.

====

Hope this sets your mind a little more at ease.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Just from reading these forums I do get the impression that the reliability of at least the early A6's may not be as good as the A4. Granted, the A4 is in its 6th model year of production, but even from the beginning it sure seems like Audi engineered a lot of reliabilty into the car. I could be wrong on my impressions of the A6, as this is just my personal observation only based on a small sampling of voluntary posts, but it sure seems like I read about a lot more major component failures happening with the A6 than the A4. The one exception with the A4 is that certain individuals have reported various problems with the 1.8T engine but at least some of these people may have driven their cars very hard and/or chipped their engines.

Although I have never owned an A6 I do still have an A4 2.8Q w/sport that has had ZERO problems after 32,000 miles. Also just purchased a new allroad, but with just 650 miles it's way too early to form any judgements about its reliabilty, although I sure do love the vehicle in all other respects so far.
    Hmmmm. Your observations about the A4 and the A6 would lead me to seriously consider the new A4 as an alternative to the A6. I hope they have one at the NY Auto Show next month. Thanks for the post. Bye. Mario
    Please give us a full report. I test drove a "loaded" allroad with the 6spd manual -- I almost abandoned my at the time on order A6 4.2, I was that impressed.

What are your impressions of the allroad -- how is yours equipped?

Inquiring minds.
  • diane52diane52 Member Posts: 1
    My experience with cars coming off of lease... is if you are planning to lease another vehicle
    from the same MfG, from a dealer you have done business with in the previous leases, then
    they can override the inspector... they will cover the mileage and minor digs and scratches,
    if you are walking away from the MfG totally different story... as far a detailing the car
    not worth the money...
    Mark,

Here is what I recently posted in one of the discussions in the Station Wagon forum - hope this helps:

* No "issues" of any kind to report - build quality is excellent as expected, and the dealer did a very nice job in preparing the car for delivery. Everything works as advertised and so far there's no need to adjust a thing.

* The car is so much quicker than our '98.5 2.8Q that it actually startled me at first. My test drive a couple months ago was during a heavy snowstorm (good test for its
    winter traction characteristics - very important here in Minnesota!) but I couldn't take full advantage of the car's performance capability. I'm still breaking the car in,
    and haven't yet really stepped on it, but the acceleration even from relatively low
    RPM's is smooth and very powerful. It may sound a little corny but I'm awestruck
    by how nice this car is, and the performance of the engine is a big part of it.

* Similarly the TIP is much improved over the '98 2.8. Shifts are much smoother
    and, just as importantly, it shifts a lot quicker with less hesitation. Still haven't
    adjusted to the steering wheel controls - even find them a little awkward especially
    around corners and turns, where your hands are shifting on the wheel. Very fun to
    play with though in a relatively straight line.

* The seat heaters are also "turbocharged" - they take a lot less time to heat up
    and what's a "3" on the 2.8 is about a "1" on the allroad - not much of a need to
    ever go beyond "1".

* The switches for the radio/CD player seem a liitle stiff. I'd prefer a softer, smoother
    feel when changing tracks, stations, etc.

* Love the brightness of the Xenon's - it would be very difficult to ever go back to
    regular headlamps.

* In snow and especially on ice the Pirelli's are "OK" but not nearly as surefooted
    as the winter tires (Blizzaks) on our A4. The stock allroad tires are a good
    all-season compromise, but I intend to buy real winter tires (not Blizzaks, however)
    next fall.

I'll have more to say later, but just wanted to report what things have made the
    biggest impression on me right away. I knew in advance from all my car shopping
    time that the interior was beautifully done, and I continue to really appreciate this
    every time I step into the vehicle. Is it just me or does the interior seem nicer that
    even the "standard" A6? That and all the extra features you get - not to mention the
    adjustible suspension's rough road capabilties - make the relatively modest extra
    premium that you pay well worth it IMO.

Sorry for the long post, but my enthusiasm is way up there.

'01 Atlas Gray w/Tip/Prem/Conv/Bose/SR
    '98.5 Aluminum Silver A4 2.8Q w/Tip, Sport & all options except Trip Computer
    Did you get the Wheel+Tire upgrade option, I am not familiar with every feature of the Premium and Convenience Pkgs you refer to -- I thought the wheel upgrade was a stand alone deal.
    The "twin spoke" wheels are a separate $950 option. They are 17 inch, same as the standard wheels, which is what I have. The tires - either a specially designed Pirelli or Goodyear "allroad" tire - are the same whichever wheel you buy. I just didn't feel that the optional twin spoke wheels were worth the extra money, as the difference is purely cosmetic. I also thought that the optional twin spokes would be harder to keep clean as there are some hidden areas that are sure to collect dirt and brake dust over time. They look very nice when new however but maybe not $950 nicer.

Otherwise the Convenience Pkg. gets you the audio controls on the steering wheel, heated seats front & rear, a homelink door opener (3 settings) in the sun visor, and a leather steering wheel that's heated at start-up (gradually goes to room temperature after a few minutes).

The Premium Pkg. includes power outside mirrors with the passenger side automatically tilting down when backing up, memory seats (both driver and passenger side) with 3 settings and including memory for the outside mirrors, xenon lights, and an automatic dimming rearview mirror (outside mirrors also automatically reduce nighttime glare).

Not sure which of these options are/are not included with the A6 which the allroad is based on.
  • jasonsdadjasonsdad Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering an A6 4.2, in comparison with a BMW 530i. All other issues aside, including the power difference (I've driven both), I have some concerns from my first test drive of the 4.2 that require a day-long drive in my usual environment (highway, local streets, stop and go, kids, etc.) that I need to resolve. Anyone out there have any experience in getting a dealer to offer up a test driver for a day-long test ride? I would be ordering the car after that, so the one I drive would not be the one I buy. Especially interested in SF Bay Area - peninsula, specifically.
  • soledocsoledoc Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for the two honest and sincere responses to my questions about the car for my wife. We are definitely leaning toward the A6 now over the BMW 525i. It seems like a no brainer at this point. I'm still going with the Volvo C70 coupe for myself.
  • lakeview1lakeview1 Member Posts: 2
    Just got my 2.8. Nice. However, by coincidence a friend of mine pulled up to my office the other day with the same car 2.7T. What a difference! Question is: I am on 39 month lease with 350 miles on the car.... Do I have any chance with dealer of trading up without substantial penalty? Thanks.