Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,672
    The one in my driver's door went bad around the 33K mark. It started off kind of subtle, like just making a painful, groaning sound when it automatically locked. Then it got worse. If I got out of the car while it was running, and closed the door behind me, it would sometimes lock the door. Back then I delivered pizzas, and it's a miracle I never actually got locked out of the car! I learned real quick that if I was going to leave the engine running, to leave the window cracked! I had it fixed around the 35K mark, just before the warranty went up. I have an extended warranty too, but it's got a $200 deductible.
  • lee1nyclee1nyc Member Posts: 60
    Have any of you added the Mopar Transmission Defoamer to your car? I was reading about it, and it supposed to give crisper shifts. I spoke with my Dodge dealership, and they said they would add it if I wanted it.
  • eeeleeel Member Posts: 57
    It does make the tranny much crisper in its' overall performance. I had some put in my 01 R/T about 3 weeks ago and it does make an improvement.

Takes a couple of days to a week to see the difference. I had 2 1 oz. bottles put in.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    transmission defoamer?? i've never heard of this stuff. was it made for automatics with full electronic control, or was it developed for hydraulically operated units like those on the trucks?? i can't help but wonder what this stuff is all about and how could it provide crisper shifts on a tranny whose shifts are predetermined based on electronics and memory...?
  • lexus_onelexus_one Member Posts: 22
    I have had no problem with the Lexus in snow, it is no worse or better than any other car I have driven in slippery conditions, of course I ordered it with a good quality non American tires.
    Engine sludge IMO is cause by using an inferior product promoted by American suppliers. I insist on world quality synthetic oil in my auto, as far as I am aware the Lexus service dept. uses all synthetic oils
    engine sludge is caused by using an inferior product promoted by "american suppliers"...lmao!!
    must be caused by those world quality american sythetic oils that the lexus service dept uses...??!
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    I guess you send your Lexus overseas to Japan, as you don't want an inferior American to touch it.

Making blanket statements usually makes the listener question one's level of knowledge.
    jsylvester,

i'd fathom that a blanket statement wasn't even needed...it only helps seal the coffin anyway!
    Canada has probably done more for hockey than any other country in the world. I'm glad they got their gold medal.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    It took us 50 years but its ours for the next 4 . YEEE HAAWW .
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    YAWN.... Apparently someone's therapist is on vacation--yet again!
    hey jason,

seems more like day-care has been closed for awhile...!!
    Dear group, observers, and new comers. You've no doubt seen and heard the debate about "Intrepid reliability" or the broad-based swipes at Chrysler reliability. Since decisions are based on accurate and FULL knowledge, I encourage any interested party to visit MSN's "Carpoint" site and review the reliability data there for the Intrepid--both generations. Until last year the first generation had a "best in class" designation..... FYI
    Looking at the reliability ratings on MSN Carpoint, I noticed that, for all years on the '93-97 Intrepids, the tranny and driveline is rated as having minimal problems. Interesting, considering that transmission failure is the issue that I hear quoted most often.

Looks like the engine was rated as having moderate problems, mainly because of some problems with the 3.5's timing belt, water pump, and manifolds. The heating/air conditioning was also rated poorly for a few years, and so was the steering, for rack-and-pinion problems.

Still, overall, the worst overall rating the Intrepid got was 4 out of 5. For 1997, last year of the first-gen, it was rated 5/5, and minimal problems across the board.

I've noticed that sometimes, cars become more reliable as they age. For instance, some cars may go through a whole bunch of teething problems when they're new, but once all those problems get fixed, they last forever. OTOH, some cars may be reliable at first, but save all their problems up to dump on you right after the warranty expires!
    It is an interesting irony isn't it? I've suspected that, while clearly there were some issues with earlier 4 sp. autos from Chrysler; the whole "transmission failure" issue was the equivalent of an urban legend or Audi's unintended acceleration debacle. The Audi issue, we now have data to conclude, was mostly well meaning, but inattentive drivers, who needed a way to absolve themselves of responsbility.
    Old timers know this--but within my extended family we have 1993 and 1994 Intrepids, my 2000 ES, three Chrylser minivans from the first and second generations, two Ram pickups, two Stratus' and a Neon. In NO case has there ever been a catastrophic transmission failure or other SERIOUS problem beyond normal where and tear or a recall. At least two of these vehicles have passed 100K. Before now, I've also owned a 1980 Aries (first year--no problems in my 60K with it), 1984 Charger, and a 1990 Shadow. The Shadow DID like to consume tires and air conditioners at an alarming rate! Replaced the AC compressor once under warranty and again two years later--perhaps being a black Northeast spec car in south Florida had something to do with it?
    Enough of all that....
    I agree, our cars are not perfect but some people want to compare them to something like a lada or yugo( or worse). Like any product mass produced a certain percentage is bound to experience some defects. With the amount of work and material that goes into building an automobile ,it always surprises me that more things don't go wrong .I really think the big problem with DC or any auto manufacture is its dealer network. Most people understand that cars break down sooner or later , but when you take your car in to have it fixed the dealer gives you some song and dance or screws something else up.This is what gets most people mad .
    ...I looked at a few new cars. My Intrepid's got about 58,000 miles on it, and I'm taking a trip to Texas next week, so I toyed with the idea of getting a new car. Provided, that is, I wasn't too buried in the Intrepid. Unfortunately (or fortunately, for my bank account) I was!

Anyway, I checked out some new Chrysler Sebrings, a coupe and sedan, an Impala, and an Altima. Honestly, I don't think any of them had as nice of an interior as my Intrepid. My Intrepid's just a base model, but so were all of these, so I guess it's a roughly close comparison. The Sebrings just looked and felt cheap inside. I think they still use the previous generation's dashboard, too. The gauges are done up in that fancy typeface, which looks kinda classy, but then just looks out of place with the rest of the car. There was just too much plastic, overall, in the car as well.

I've always thought the Impala's interior was a mess. It's put together okay, but just has too many parts, too much plastic, and too many styling themes that don't flow well together.

I did like the Altima, and would probably pick it over the Impala or Sebring, given a choice of only the three. Build quality-wise though, I'd rate it no better than my Intrepid. There were a few uneven gaps, and too much cheap, hard-to-the touch, '70's GM-style plastic inside. Out on the highway it was quiet. I'd say it was even quieter than the Intrepid, as long as you're just driving with the flow of traffic. Stomp on the gas though, and you'll know right away that it's a 4-banger! You can see where they cut corners in a few other places too, like no insulation on the decklid, and old-style trunk hinges that use torsion bars and "goose-neck" hinges, a design that's been around forever.

Chrysler may need to get their act together with their smaller cars, but I think the Intrepid, despite being 5 model years old now, still holds its own very well. I deal with a local mechanic and try to avoid the dealership as much as possible, so that may be part of the reason I've had a good experience with the car, though! The car really doesn't need much maintenance, so I just let the mechanic do what it does need. It's also out of warranty now, and the deductible on my extended warranty is $200.00, so if something minor breaks, and it's something he can fix, the car's going to my local mechanic who's about 2 minutes from my job, as opposed to the dealer who's almost 1/2 hour away!
    Dear Ottowrkr or others,

Is the engine in my '98 ES the same 3.2 that was in earlier Intrepids?
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    I posted about the LH 30's which I have on my '04 ES and my wife's '00 Caravan. Very impressed on both vehicles. Very good all-season performance, mileage, etc. at a reasonable price-about $75 if I remember correctly.

Also very pleased with the Michelin HydroEdges I put on my 300M, but don't think they're worth the extra $50 per tire compared to the LH 30.
    there was no 3.2l prior to the '98 model year. '97 and older models had a choice of 3.3l ohv or 3.5l ohc engines. the 3.2l (and current 3.5l) are derivatives of the first generation 3.5l engine. btw, the 3.2l has been discontinued leaving the 2.7l and 3.5l as the only engines available.
    lee1nyc-emale good answer
    Thank you.
  • taffy2taffy2 Member Posts: 7
    I doubt the bad press Chrysler has received vis-a vis its reliability,especially transmission failures is based upon hearsay,and a concerted campaign to malign DC.The posts I've read in this forum and others concerning Chrysler products seem to be from honest owners who encountered these failures and received no satisfaction in the diagnosis and resoultion of them.Perhaps the 7 year-100,000 mile warranty DC is offering will counter this reputation,and as many of you attest you haven't experienced these problems.That is not to say others haven't,I doubt with the exception of of few dedicated detractors, that they are fabricating their problems.
    ...for example, let's suppose that the Chrysler tranny had a 10% failure rate. Just for kicks, let's say that an equivalent Honda had a 2% failure rate.

You could look at it two ways...

1: Chrysler's transmission is 5x more likely to fail than Honda's.

2: Your chance of getting a good Honda is 98%, versus 90% for a good Chrysler.

Stated the first way, Chrysler sounds like a piece of crap, but stated the second way, their reliability looks much better. If that was a report card at a public school, Honda would get an A+ and Chrysler an A-
    Taffy2... I don't intend for this to sound "harsh"...but your observation is really a symptom of the problem. In this venue (a bulletin board by any other name) you can either believe everything, nothing, or attend selectively. Two of us (myself and emale) have seen a particular individual appear under several different aliases over the course of about three years. This individual appeared in virtually every Chrysler related topic and spouted the same story--in most instances, we believe, having never owned a Chrysler vehicle.
    If you parcel out this individual's contribution, the serious complaints about reliability or catastrophic failures would be lessened. But then, we all know the "squeaky wheel" analogy, don't we. When you look at data-based sources--as opposed to the notoriously unreliable "self report" method--you see Chrysler is no worse than most domestics (better in many instances). THAT is the point. Andre1969's post, prior to mine, further illustrates the point. Suppose Chrysler minivan transmissions DID have a higher failure rate--is it REALLY a statistically significant difference or just a numerical fact based on higher numbers of total sales?
    Arguing, debating, "mine is better than yours" is all well and good. Hell, it's just human sport! But let us not confuse that with compelling data or proof. We see prime examples of the difference here in the Edmund's responses. One favorite is the "squished whale" diatribe used to describe the Intrepid's styling by one particular Edmund's writer. Honestly, isn't that just completely subjective--and who has heard any other media contributor complain about the styling to that degree. The other one is the contributor in the PT Cruiser long term test complaining about the steering.... Anyone EVER heard a complaint like that? Complaints? Opinions? OK...let's just not confuse that with "truth"--or as close to "truth" as we can come..
    Jason5,

Any individual can read a post and recognize an honest complaint versus a vendetta.I've seen all the posts you refer to,including the whale comparison,I realize what is behind them and although amusing am not impressed or swayed in my opinion of the Intrepid.I believe that too much emphasis and attention is given to these type of posts,in contrast to presenting information of interest to present and potential Intrepid owners.You're never going to satisfy everyone,and in some instances the feelings about DC are so strong they transend any arguments to the contrary.
  • lexus_onelexus_one Member Posts: 22
    The Intrepid is far past its Best Before Date, however things are beginning to improve and over time as Daimler issues more golden handshakes and German management takes more predominance things will improve even more.
    taffy2,

imo, you are way understating the efforts of "detractors" in edmunds topics. it doesn't only happen in dc topics, but others as well. all i can say is, "beware of those that can only put forth blanket statements, and can't provide specifics." plus, i think schoolkids have way too much time on their hands...! the post above is a prime example of little or no useful info.
    lexus_one,

i just read a story that mercedes quality is slipping, meanwhile chrysler's is increasing.

check out this link:

http://www.detnews.com/2002/insiders/0203/04/insider-426466.htm
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    IMHO, I think taffy2 is suggesting that we all have a responsibility to ourselves to be careful what we believe.

It seems to me that it's simple enough - for anyone interested in doing so - to spend a little time getting a history of who has what to say, and how credible are the posts.

I'm a lot more impressed with posts that give facts and links to facts and report facts in a non-emotional, non-judgmental manner than I am messages containing emotional histrionics and/or posts attacking other members, FWIW.

Maybe that's typical, maybe it's not - all I know is that we are all responsible for figuring out what to believe and what to take with one or many grains of salt. That's the nature of this medium.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    I've seen the same trend at defaming vehicles in other posts.My point was that,these individuals are so against the particular vehicle in question,that no amount of information or persuation will change their opinion one bit.Better to have an exchange with those present owners,or potential owners who have legitimate questions concerning chrysler reliability,then engage in a never ending hostile exchange.
    taffy,

i could really care less whether someone likes/loves/hates intrepids, or any other vehicle for that matter. what i do loathe is mis-information. therefore, i occasionally engage those who promote mis-information through their inflammatory blanket statements and lack of specifics. of course, i probably should just let em go as they are pretty transparent anyway...
    Hi gang,

I don't know how many of you are also member/readers of the DodgeIntrepid.net website, but I highly recommend it.

The members there are extremely knowledgeable on a very wide variety of subjects, and the posting boards are always hopping. Check it out!

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/index.php

• binubinu Member Posts: 81
    Some Posters spend a lot of time in this forum trying to defame the Intrepid.
    But, If you click on their profiles, you will find that they have never posted in the forums of the cars they claim to own.
    The above statement is true at the time of this post.
    Does anyone else find it surprising that they have never exchanged any info on their respective cars ?
    binu,

yep!!
  • mdeymdey Member Posts: 90
    I am new to this board, but I did read many of the posts last fall before buying our 01 ES. took advantage of the post 9/11 dealer scramble and saved. Great car, perfect for a family of four with a 6' teenager sitting in the back.

After driving the SE with the 2.7L and the ES with the 3.2L, there was no question that the 3.2L has more useful power in normal city driving. I don't think there is much difference between the two engines at highway speed other than gas mileage. We also liked the larger front seats and the rear seat armrest in the ES.

My wife drives the car 104 miles each day and loves it. The commute is mostly highway, and leadfoot that she is, the car averages about 26 mpg. With 14k miles, I have yet to take it to the dealer for repairs.

I change the oil every 3k miles. I use Castrol 5w30.

What brand of oil filter do you folks use?

The last two changes I used a Purolator filter, but I do notice a mild valve tap when the car is started first thing in the morning. It sounds like one cylinder, not all. I remember a post about the filter causing this. Should I consider changing the brand of filter? I don't mind springing for the Mopar, it's just that it's inconvenient to buy the oil in one place and the filter in another. I guess I could buy several at a time.

Would someone mind clarifying something for me? The 2.7L has a timing chain?

I thought all of the engines had the belt. I am not sure that would have changed my buying decision SE vs ES, but I would like to know. The belt isn't that big a deal. We're not that hard on the car, and I'll probably have it changed with a full tune up and waterpump replacement at 80k miles.

Thanks for sharing!
    I have a 2000 base model, with the 2.7, and currently have about 58,500 miles on it. I'm leaving for Texas this Saturday for a vacation, and figure I'll hit the 60K mark sometime during the trip out there.

The 2.7 does have a timing chain, and the owner's manual recommends inspecting it at 105,000 miles. I asked my mechanic about it, and he said that as long as I keep up with the oil changes, and don't let it run low, that it should be fine. The 3.2/3.5 are the same engine family, which use a belt. I'm not sure, but I think the interval for the belt is 105,000 miles, but it can't hurt to change it early, just to be safe! I asked my mechanic about how much it would cost to change timing chain if it ever needs it, but he didnt' know. Turns out that my 2.7 is the highest mileage one they've been working on, so I guess I'm kind of a guinea pig for them!

I didn't realize the ES has bigger front seats...I just thought they had a different fabric. Are they better-padded? That's one thing I don't like about my base model, is that the front seats feel thinly padded. I have a '68 Dart that actually feels more comfortable!

I change my oil every 3-4,000 miles, and use Castrol 10W30. I haven't paid too much attention to the filters...I usually put AC Delco ones on, but if the parts store is out, I use Fram ExtraGard (or whatever it's called). Hopefully there's nothing too sinister about either of those ;-)

I did have my tranny serviced at 30,000 miles, and had to have the spark plugs changed at 51,000 miles, but then I do a lot of around-town type driving, and used to deliver pizzas, so I tend to be rough on cars.

As for mileage, I've ranged anywhere from just under 20 to just over 30. Now that I don't deliver pizzas anymore, I'd say I average around 22. Anyway, good luck with it, and keep us posted on how well it holds up over the miles!
    mdey,

andre knows what he is talking about. as for lifter tick on cold startup. all three of my treps did that, '96...'98 and '00. i guess some oil filters have a better anti-drain back valve vs others, but i don't know which to recommend. i used valvoline and mopar filters on my treps, and still occasionally got the lifter tick. chrysler tech friend of mine said it is normal and not to worry about. he said that he can't ever remember having to do a valve job on either the 3.5l or 3.2l motors. they are very good and durable motors, especially if you follow the maintenance requirements set out in the owner's manual... there were some "issues" with early water pump failures on the first generation 3.5l, but that was fixed in the mid 90s.
  • mdeymdey Member Posts: 90
    Thanks for the input on the oil filter. I've owned mostly Fords in recent years and I can usually get the Motorcraft Filters in the local parts discount place. I've used Fram as an alternative, but this is the first time I've tried Purolator. I change the oil religiously at 3k miles, so hopefully the filter isn't as much of a factor in terms of the brand that I use.

As for the seats, I looked at them carefully, going back and forth between the models. The ES seats are slightly deeper and wider (particularly at the front corners), and both my wife and I agreed that the ES has better padding. The front seat backs were about the same. The rear seat has more contourning and has the armrest (with cupholders!). It was worth the expense to move up to the ES, even without the larger engine as a consideration. My wife sits in that car for 2+ hours each day; we needed it to be as comfortable as possible for her.

I am really not deterred by the timing belt, or I wouldn't have bought the car. Had I been deterred, it could have cost Dodge the sale, because the dealer told me all the engines had the belt. The literature was mute on the subject.
    The only time my 2000 R/T did that was the time I didn't take it to the dealership, but a quick-lube place. I think it is mostly due to the filter, but it could be the oil as well.

I plan on doing my next oil change myself. In the Maintenance area, there is a lengthy discussion on oil filters. Surprisingly, the Walmart filter seems well regarded. I have always used FRAM and Castrol oil in my other cars, but may try the Walmart filter.
    ...well gang, I'm taking off for Texas tomorrow, in the Intrepid. Wish me luck!
    andre,

try to stay clear of the deer!!!
  • skibbleskibble Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone. I almost have my new (used) Intrepid (picking it up tomorrow) and was looking for some information and general opinions. Here's what I am buying (bought!)...

1999 Intrepid. Base model (not an ES...what's the model code for a non-ES?). Black, power windows, power mirrors, power driver seat, A/C, alarm, kill switch, CD player. He's even throwing in some nice Michelin tires. 68,000 kilometers on it (no warranty left). $14,000 Canadian ($325 x 60 months)

Good deal? I hope so...the paper is signed! (hee)

I noticed that when looking at the engine, a lot of pieces seem to be a little bit rusty (bolts, the radiator piece of pipe and other pipes, the cylinder at the left side of the engine, etc. The rest of it looks clean as whistle. I have noticed the same on other models and years. Is this common? From condensation from the A/C maybe?

Is the electric driver's seat an add on option for the base model? The CD player?

Repairs done to it under warranty included replacing the driver's side machanism for the window...it slipped off of the track. The front windshield was also replaced.

As a new owner, what should I look at from your experiences regarding fix-it-ups, modifications, etc. Sorry for the generalized question, but I am sure you all have answers.

The dealer even gave me $500 cash for my trade-in Nissan Sentra (1989)! Can't beat that, right?
    Hi Skibble, and welcome.
    I can't answer all your questions, but I believe power seats are an option on the base Intrepid. I own a '98 ES that I bought in April of 1998. It now has 40,000 miles and I don't see any rusted components or housings or bolts anywhere in the engine compartment. I live in the NY metro area, and we get a wide variety of weather here. It is possible that the car was near salt water for extended periods, or the prior owner might have driven through a deep puddle. He might have even hosed down the engine compartment? I wouldn't be overly concerned about that aspect. What I WOULD CHECK OUT is the replaced windshield. Where was it done? Does the company that did it have A LOT of experience replacing windshields? There was a story on 20/20 a few years ago about poorly qualified companies replacing windshields that in no way meet spec and have proved to be fatal. Exposed fingers should never come in contact with the fitting that holds the glass to the frame.

Otherwise, good luck with your new purchase. I have been extremely happy with our car and it has proven to be very reliable.

You might also check out http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/index.php for additional Intrepid support. Their forum is much more active than this one here at Edmunds.

PS: What does $14000 Canadian equate to in USD?
    Greetings... Enjoy your trip Andre.. Always nice to get some extended time behind the wheel. Hope all is well. AN ADDITIONAL REQUEST--has anyone recently attempted to get their door gaskets replaced. My have shrunk and the service manager has offered to replace them for free...
    jason,

my boss has an intrepid and one of his door gaskets shrank. the local dealership did something like heat them up and then re-attach. sounds odd but he said it worked...!
    Where do you notice the door gasket shrinking? I think I saw a slight gap up at the top of the door near the seat belt height adjuster. Is that the area you're talking about? Are there other areas I need to check? How large is the gap that you have noticed?

Thanks
    Lee
    Lee.. You are spot on. The gap is noticeable on the doors in the upper right hand corner. It is noticeable enough to see through.. My service manager didn't even mention the "heat and reattach" process--which sounds dubious to me. As I mentioned, he said "order and replace"..
    Thanks Jason. I am going to have the dealership look at it when I visit there next.

Lee

PS: Have any of you visited the DodgeIntrepid.net site?