Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• skibbleskibble Member Posts: 4
    Boy...how do you reply to a message here?!?!

LEE1NYC

Well, I went for it! $14,000 CDN equates to about $9,300 US. The 68,000 kms equates to about 42,500 miles.

The payments are for 60 months at $326 CDN per month ($217 US). To better explain that price to you, $326 CND can buy you about 11 cases of 24 Canadian beers! You have to remember that our beer is much more expensive up here than yours is! Sorry, but I can't think of any other way of explaining the price comparison. Cost of living in Quebec isn't nearly as high as Toronto. You can rent a 3 1/2 for about $350.00 CDN or a 4 1/2 for $400.00. Toronto 3 1/2's go for about $800.00 for some strange reason...and it's usually in an ugly high-rise appartment! Better comparison?

One thing I learned from the dealer...Americans try to come up to Canada and pick up Chryslers for a better price. The price is usually better after you exchange your currency, but we do not offer the 7 year warranty on new vehicles like you do in the US. It's only 5 up here. That's why the cars are a little more expensive in the US! Interesting, isn't it?

Another thing to mention (in the event that some of you do not know)...In Canada, the Intrepid (and other Dodge vehicles) are not labelled as DODGES but rather CHRSLYERS. I guess there's some logic in there pertaining to some guru's marketing plan! Can anyone elaborate?

P.S. I have driven to car for 1 1/2 days and will never buy anything smaller than that...ever! IT IS THE NICEST THING I HAVE EVER DRIVEN. I have honestly only owned old pieces of crap in the past, but this thing rocks!

Footnote: My friend is currently paying for his return on a lease car...he is paying exactly what I am paying for his 1998 Altima. He picked it up exactly 1 year ago so he has 48 months of payments left. HOW CAN ANYONE COMPARE THE 2 VEHICLES??? The Maxima isn't even in the same class (or shouldn't be).

V6's are great. Even the 2.7! I can't imagine driving an R/T wit the Magnum! My brother's buddy has one and I have to try it out.
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    You will want one.
  • lee1nyclee1nyc Member Posts: 60
    skibble wrote: "In Canada, the Intrepid (and other Dodge vehicles) are not labelled as DODGES but rather CHRYSLERS."

I noticed that when I was watching this weeks "X-Files." Skully, drives an Intrepid ES, but the side marking on the door read "Chrysler."

I don't know why they don't use the "Dodge" brand on cars up in the Great White North. The Dodge Brothers would not take kindly to being "dissed."
    I just turned 40,000 miles on my '98 ES. Even though the Goodyears that came as standard equipment are in good shape, I want to buy myself an "Easter Gift"

I have been doing some research and am thinking of going with the Dunlop SP Sport A2's. Does anyone have an opinion on these tires? (225 x 60 x 16)

Thanks
  • duffer5duffer5 Member Posts: 10
    I own a 95 Intrepid with 97,000 miles on the clock and it is a great car. City - 20-21 mpg; highway 26-27 mpg. Changed timing belt and water pump on recommendation of my mechanic. Oil changes 3000-4000 miles; transmission fluid- every 30,000 miles; coolant-every 2 yrs; brake fluid (ABS)-every 2 years. It is a great trip car and very nimble around town. Would buy another!
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Yes the Intrepid is a Chrysler in Canada ,but the Ram pickup , Durango ,Caravan ,Dakota and Viper are still sold as a Dodge . Why the Trep is Chrysler in Canada is a mystery. I like the way Dodge sounds much better than Chrysler Intrepid. But thats me
  • nvcolornvcolor Member Posts: 9
    I am not certain about the rest of the country, but here in the Kansas City area, every Dodge/Chrysler dealer is advertising 2001 Intrepid SE program cars for prices from $11,998 to $13,998, with most priced at the lower figure. Mileage on these cars runs from high teens to mid 20's. Some have power seats, but most come with just the standard items. Balance of factory warranty intact. Based on the ads, there seems to be a large supply. One of the dealers I spoke with mentioned that these are former rental cars, with a large number coming from Enterprise. I realize that rental cars can be abused, but at least they do get regular maintenance. At these prices, it seems like an excellent deal, and an extended warranty can be purchased. I will be visiting a couple of dealerships tomorrow to look over the inventory. I drive 35,000 miles per year (mostly interstate), and the Intrepid seems to offer a combination of size/roominess, features, performance, and economy that are hard to beat for a class in this class. I am not crazy about taking the depreciation hit on a new vehicle, and the Intrepid seems like it might be a good option. I have read thru a couple of hundred posts here, so I have an idea of the most common complaints. Is there any other advice any of you might care to add? Please feel free to advise. I'm hoping the old adage "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is" isn't relevant in this case. Thanks.
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    I drove a 98 Intrepid ES, and it was a great car, but as mine was leased new, I knew how it was driven and maintained and it had low mileage when my lease was up, and now I have a 300M.I did buy my wife a lease back a number of years ago and it was a piece of junk, and it had been smoked in and absolutely stunk. I did not notice the smell until after the purchase, because they used some sort of a masking agent. If the dealer is willing to let you test drive the car for a few days, that might be the answer, but I am always leary of leasebacks and rentals. I can't comment on prices because they differ here in Canada. Good Luck!!!!!!
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    You are correct, resale on Intrepids is weak, probably due to the fact so many are used as rental cars.

For that price range, not sure how you can go wrong. I agree that a former rental car is not the best source (people do mistreat them, no matter what Enterprise tells you), but for the mileage you will drive, I think it is a good deal.

Just look around, and try to find one now smoked in. See if they have the maintenance records as well.
    The owners manual says (paraphrasing) "to activate the pulse wiper, and get two swipes for a misty rain, push and release the wiper control. To wash the windshield, push firmly and release the wiper control" Even if I give the wiper control the lightest of pushes, it still activates the washer and does its two swipes. I can't believe that is what Chrysler intended when they designed it.

Anyone care to share their experiences on this?

Thanks
    Lee
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    The Intrepid and I have returned home in one piece, from our trip from MD to Texas, with no problems to report. I hit the 60,000 mile mark in Vinton, Lousiana, about 8 miles from the TX border. I'm pushing 62K now.

Fuel economy was running around 27-30 mpg, and a good deal of that was with the air conditioner running. For the most part we did the speed limit or just a little above. Last year when I made my trip to Texas, I got a speeding ticket in Louisiana, that came out to about $190.00! Kinda negated the savings of driving versus flying ;-)
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Speeding tickets are a bummer. I was lucky yesterday, somebody in an Audi A-4 was clogging up the left lane, so I could not go my normal 15 mph over the speed limit in my R/T. There was a speed trap just ahead, I should thank the female yuppie type for avoiding that ticket.

My girlfriends are constantly amazed I avoid speeding tickets. Luck and learning where the cops hide are the key, I guess.
    ...how true! When I went through that same stretch of Louisiana, I (the town of Jennings, Jefferson Davis parrish), I made damn sure to stay right at the speed limit! Coming back home, I didn't have to worry because the road was down to one lane in each direction, and we were creeping along at about 5-10 mph for a good 30 minutes or more.

It'll always be ingrained in the back of my mind though, when I make that trip home... When I see the old abandoned '56 DeSoto along the side of the highway, SLOW DOWN!! (It was there last year too, and might be the reason I got the ticket...might've been paying more attention to the DeSoto than my speedometer ;-)
    Helloe again everyone! Well, I have had my '99 base Intrepid for almost 3 weeks now and all seems copasetic (sp?). Hice ride! Good buy!

The only problem I am experiencing seems to be coming from the vents. I do not seem to get any heat to blast out of the 4 main 'face' vents, even when I set the control to 'the little guy with the arrow pointing at him in the head'. Excuse the stupid question, but is this a problem? Do you think the hose came undone?

A quick question pertaining to the stereo. The included CD player sound system isn't what I would call great. I want to put in my own from my Sentra, but is it a big job? It looks like a big job taking off all of that dash. Please let me know if any of you people have changed the radio in your Intrepids.

On a last note, the mileage I am getting out of it is kinda scaring me. Mind you, I do a lot of city driving and had a Nissan Sentra before, so I am not used to a V6. Don't foget, to fill up my tank in Montreal, Canada, it costs about $48.00...so go figure! Highway driving is excellent with it, that's for sure.
    glad you like your Intrepid. So you don't get any heat from the upper vents? do you get it from the lower ones ? or the front window defroster vents on top of the dash. If you do then what your car may need is too have the heater/ac unit doors recalibrated. The doors on the unit are not controlled by cables like years ago , they use electric motors to open and close them.
    Gas milage , dont forget your trep is a little bigger than the Sentra 4 cyl you used to drive .
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i'd say the trep is "considerably" larger than a sentra...
    The Accutire MS4000 is on sale at Sears for $16.99. The regular retail for this model is $32.99. They also have the less expensive models on sale for $9.99.

The 4000 has an illuminated readout that measures in 1/2 lb increments.
    I had a question that you might be able to help me with. I own a '98 ES and it has been a real pleasure to own. Last summer, I noticed a slight hiss coming from behind the center A/C vent. It was only heard when the air conditioning was on. If you ran just the vent, or heat, there was no hissing sound. You would hear the sound of hissing for 5 seconds or so, and then it would stop. It also seemed to be triggered (maybe I am imagining this) after you accelerated, and let up on the gas, although if you were just idling, it seemed to cycle into this hiss mode occasionally.

The car is on an extended warranty program of 60 months/72,000 miles. When I brought it to Dodge, the heard what I was talking about, even though it was very low. They changed the throttle body, but this did not solve the problem. It is not that serious a situation, but I am certain it was not there from the beginning.

I posted this situation DodgeIntrepid.net, and got some "hit or miss" suggestions. Some said that the evaporator needs to be replaced, and the system recharged with refrigerant.

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4487

If you are able to help me out with any suggestions, I would be appreciative. The service manager at Royal Dodge (NJ) will do anything to help me out. (Great position to be in)

Thanks again

lee,

i know exactly what you are talking about. both my '98 and '00 intrepids made that noise when the a/c compressor cycled. i don't know if there is anything you can do about it. but, have your local dealership check for a technical service bulletin. i believe there is one.
    lee,

i found the tsb, here it is (cut/paste from nhtsa site)

Technical Service Bulletins Summary

Make: DODGE
    Model: INTREPID
    Year: 1998
    Service Bulletin Number: 241298
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 222

Summary Description:

EXPERIENCING A HISSING SOUND FROM A/C DURING CLUTCH CYCLE. *YC
    Thanks emale. I will turn that info over to the service manager.
    you guys are quick . Good info emale
    Thanks for the reply. Well, I do get heat from the tiny window vents. I also get a little from the foot vents, but not too much. The dash (window) vents blow like nuts...at every setting. Recalibration? Wow...better bring it back before the 10th of April! Thanks for the advice.

How would they slip off out of calibration?
  • lasher5lasher5 Member Posts: 22
    My brother left his 01 Intrepid SE at my house while he is on vacation. I took it for a spin yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the ride and handling. I'm one of those camcord owners and haven't bought domestic for 18 yrs. The car rode well on the highway and tracked straight and true and there were no rattles or squeaks. However, my brothers car is exhibiting the same problems that the Edmund's long term Intrepid did. The drivers seat seems loose, the weather striping is coming off around the doors, the rear pax door is misaligned and the paint job on the rear drivers side inside door shows drips and runs. All of these defects were on Edmunds 98 Intrepid which leaves me wondering if Dodge ever lets the factory know about warranty work done and do they try to correct these problems. I made sure the registration was for a 01 model. Other than the items noted, the car is very pleasant except for road noise and a hoot noise which sounds like the power steering pump when the car turns at speed. Any advise for my brother when he returns for the car?
    Thanx
  • lexus_onelexus_one Member Posts: 22
    Show your brother some tough love and instruct him to dump the Intrepid for a "foreign" product and he will soon thank you for steering him in the right direction.
  • mdeymdey Member Posts: 90
    lexus_one:

You mean the foreign products built in the U.S.?

You mean the foreign products that cost more $?

You mean the foreign products that seem to be less efficient in terms of fuel economy?

You mean the foreign products that take premium fuel to get all that horsepower they advertise?

You mean the foreign products that cost more to insure because they cost more to repair when you wreck them and cost more to replace when they're stollen?

You mean the foreign products with no leg room, trunk space, headroom, etc.?

You mean the foreign products that never break? But then when they do break, you have a massive towing bill because the nearest dealer is 75 miles away. And when you get there, the service writer has such a high opinion of his product that he is certain that it must be your fault that the car broke, and therefore you're scum. And by the way, it takes three days to get the part from California, so you rent a car to get home.

Been there, done that, and I used the t-shirt to wipe up the oil stain the foreign product left in my garage.

There is just no discernable difference between "foreign" cars and "domestic" cars except perception and status. I paid $22,000 for an Intrepid ES. I'll spend some money on maintenance and it might break once or twice. I'll drive it 125,000 miles and trade it in. My experience will probably be about the same as your experience with your Lexus. How much did you pay for your car?

Pick what you like, and what you can afford, take good care of it, and enjoy it.
    On a more productive subject: a while back I asked for opinions on oil filters. The first oil change on my wife's ES 3.2L was done by the dealer. Mopar filter (by the way, the manual specifies 10w30 for this engine--interesting).

I did the next two with Purolator Plus filters (3,000 mile drain intervals). The engine developed a mild tap in the passenger-side head, opposite the filter. I read all of the posts in the oil filter board. Not much help in terms of brands, but my reading did help me understand how a filter is constructed. I found that the anti-drain back valve in the Purolator filter is in a different location in the filter than that of the Mopar filter. In addition, the Mopar filter uses a silicone valve, whereas the Mopar filter uses a metal valve.

I bought a Mopar filter from the dealer ($6.50 vs. $2.50 for the Purolator) and put it on at the last oil change. The valve tap at start up disappeared. The Mopar filter also has a 96% single pass efficiency. I am sure the Purolator filter is a fine filter, but the problem appears to be that the oil was draining out of the filter at night.

Now if I can only find a source other than the dealer for Mopar parts.
    but I'm just using a Fram ExtraGard filter I picked up at Trak Auto. I'm going to listen tomorrow morning, when I start the car cold, to see if I notice any tapping. I've never noticed any before, but then I haven't been looking for it either. Maybe it's a 3.2-only occurence? I remember Emale mentioning it, but he always bought ES models with the bigger engine, while I just have a 2.7.

A 2.7 with 62,000 troublefree miles, I might add ;-) (okay, okay, I've had a few minor problems, like the door seals shrinking, power lock actuator going bad, right-side mirror adjuster breaking)
    all of my es models (96, 98 and 00) had the lifter tap at cold startup even when a mopar filter was used...
    My concern is that the 3.2L shouldn't have a lifter tap, because it doesn't have lifters. It has a cam at the top of each head driving the valves. If you have the 2.7L, it has two cams at the top of each head, one driving the intake valves and the other driving the exhaust valves. Either way there shouldn't be a tap. A tap means no oil where there should be oil.

Fortunately, the right filter seems to have taken care of the bulk of the problem. I hear a faint tap, but I doubt I would notice it if I weren't listening for it. Probably no worse than any other car I have. What I was experiencing was pretty loud and lasted for up to 5 seconds.
    MD: Quite a sermon, your wife's name must be Tammy?

The foreign product I referred to is the group that is showing increased market share whereas the home grown variety continues on the decline. The Intrepid might be classed as partly foreign , Daimler is non American correct and I do believe they are hammered together in Canada, a foreign country correct?
    My experience with the home growns taught me the lesson that it takes more than one tee shirt to clean up their leftovers.

Do have a good dey, and happy motoring with your so called home grown variety.
    mdey,

an edmunds test intrepid and usatoday test intrepid also had tapping at cold startup. seems to be quite common with 3.2l and 3.5l engine. btw, chrysler tech at local dealership said not to worry about it. he also mentioned that as far as he knew, there had never been a 3.2l or 3.5l in for a valve job at his dealership...fwiw.
    Lexus_One:

You seem to have a habit of insulting people in this forum. Funny how some people resort to that when they post statements they can't back up and someone comes along and disagrees with them.

As for market share, competition has far more to do with the market share loss of the big three than any perceived problems with quality. Give consumers more choices and it is very possible they'll choose from the newcomers at some point.

Prior to 1970 there was very little to choose from that wasn't engineered and built in the U.S. except for the higher end European cars. What turned the tide was the Japenese manufacturers building cars marketed to the masses. They were the first to truly compete with the big three. I think competition has raised the bar for the consumer and has been good for the auto industry too.

But remember, while Chrysler (in particular) may have had its problems in the 70s, are you sure you want to compare it with what Honda, Toyota, and Datsun were building back then?

And one other point: Your Lexus, while solidly engineered I am sure, is still engineered in a country that has been in an economic recession for the better part of 10 years. I am just not as convinced as you about the superiority of a "foreign" car.
    mdey,

your wasting your time with so and so. we've got several of em' around here (or is it just one?). anyhoo, enjoy the trep...
  • cornodacacciacornodacaccia Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I am a freshly baked owner of Chrysler Intrepid 2000 and, well, not a very smart but lucky buyer. Lucky is a hopeful modifier here scince I really do not want to think about how come that being such a big fan of rear-wheel-drive, and an owner of Mercury Cougar 95, I got into very much fwd car. Anyway my first hours of driving my R/T edition of Canadian build and previously registered Chrysler would be really enjoyable if I'd stop comparing my so much familiar Cougar and a new acquisition.
    Granted that it was needed and hopefully smart move economically since my aging (just 82K) Cougar began disintegrating on me part by part, in spite of religious and meticulous maintenance.
    Strangely enough, I was shopping for Crown Vic, when I came across this nice, black R/T. I decided to give it a try that somehow turned into an extended one. So here I am, nosing cab-forward into your discussion in an attempt to determine what should I look for in terms of preventive and regular maintenance.
    As I said, the car is 2000 and has 16K on it. I checked the seams thoroughly and it seems that the last weld the car seen was the factory. Pads were a little bit lower on the front-about 50%, and 70% on the rear. I do not think it is indicative of anything but the fact that this car cab-forward and fwd design is probably resposible for uneven distribution of the breaking weight or excessive nosing. At the same time, I did not notice any excessive nosing in my first hours and actually was quite impressed by the predictable and assuring manner in which the car stops.
    If anyone has feedback on that, I would greatly appreciate it. In fact, I would greatly appreciate any feedback and advice as to my newly acquired R/T.
    Well, so long. I am off to the NTSA site, fingers crossed on feet and hands.
    I think that your front brakes are going to wear out faster in ANY car, not just a cab-forward design. When you come to a stop, the weight shifts towards the front, putting more pressure on the front brakes. I don't know if this is indicative of everybody else, but here's at least one reference point. I got 39,000 miles out of my front pads, and 51k out of the rear pads on my '00 base model.

I don't know if the brakes on the Intrepid R/T are upgraded from the base model or not. I'd imagine they would be, since the R/T has a much torquier engine, which will take more energy to slow down. I just checked the weights, and according to Edmund's, the base model weighs 3471 lb and the R/T weighs 3511 lb, so I think the added weight would be a negligible factor.

A couple other maintenance reference points...In spite of what the owner's manual says, I needed new spark plugs at 51,000 miles. Also had the tranny serviced at 30K. I'm about to put the car in the shop next week to have my mechanic go over it. I just changed my oil and rotated my tires last night, and noticed that it's wearing the front driver's side tire unevenly, so I guess it's alignment time! I figure I'll have the mechanic fix the alignment and do whatever else it might need.
    Emale:

I couldn't stand it. As a marketing guy, getting a lesson in market share from our friend just rubbed me the wrong way. I couldn't let it go. Please accept my apologies if I wasted anyone else's time (in addition to my own).

One last point and I will let it go: Honda, Toyota, and Nissan are losing market share to Kia and Hyundai. Hmm.
    My ES is the first car I've owned with front and rear disc brakes. I now also own a Chevy TrailBlazer with the same setup. I'll be watching wear between front and rear brakes carefully.

However, on my many other cars, with front disc and rear drum, I typically replaced front brakes twice for every rear brake replacement. I am not a physics expert, but stopping a car is simple physics: the front is the most efficient point to stop a car because most of the weight is on those tires in a panic stop (the car is heavy in the front to start with, and then weight transfers to the front as friction is applied there to stop it). If more pressure were applied to the rear brakes, the weight would still transfer to the front (perhaps less of it, but it still will transfer) and the rear wheels would lock up and loose grip because of the lack of weight resting on them compared with the front. Applying more braking power to the front wheels gets you better stopping effectiveness, but it comes at the expense of wearing the front brakes out faster.

I do, however, expect the disc brakes on the rear to be more effective than the old drums, so it stands to reason that I may not get the 2 to 1 replacement ratio I was getting out of the disc front drum rear setup. I think someone else has already posted their experience on that point.
    mdey: Sorry if I touched a fragile spot.
    As a marketing guy you should learn how to read and absorb what is written, what part of my post was insulting? You were the one to start with the sermon, sometimes one has to take what one gives.
    I am sure as a marketing guy you are well aware that competition is not the only factor involved with the market share decrease of the big three.

As a marketing guy you should be aware that quality perceived or real play a big part in retaining market share.

As a marketing guy you should be aware that after sale service plays a big part in retaining repeat costomers thus retaining market share.

I agree Daimler chrysler is a much better company that the former Chrysler Corp. They are a much better organization to deal with and their product will benefit from the German influence, however the results of the years of neglect and indifference shown by the previous administration will take time to overcome.
    When a marketing person see such headlines they have the right to loose their collective cool..

"DaimlerChrysler's 2001 profit down 77 percent"

http://www.detroitnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0201/05/autos-382802.htm

CHRYSLER'S MARKET SHARE DIPS

http://www.detroitnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0201/05/a01-382357.htm

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm don't think anyone here was asking about these details.

Let's try to stick to the Intrepid and not go all over the place when NO one here is asking the questions that you seem to be trying to answer.

As I'm sure you are aware, the News & Views board is the place where we have the kind of opinionated discussion you seem to be trying to create. It isn't appropriate here on the Sedans board.

Thank you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    My wife turns green with envy whenever she drives my car and hears the stereo. What seemed adequate to her at the time we bought her car is wholly inadequate to her now. She drives 104 miles round trip to work everyday, so it is worth a little $ to make her happy.

Hers is an ES with the 8 speaker system in 6 locations. The specifications for the stereo are 120 watts, but that has to be divided 8 ways to explain the performance it delivers (pretty weak).

Anyone replace the dash unit in their Intrepid? If so, with what and where did you buy it? Did you keep the factory speakers?
    ...does anybody know what size the Intrepid's drain plug is? I'd been using a 1/2" socket to get it off, but yesterday, just happened to look at it, and see that it had "metric" stamped on it, but no number. D'OH!

I'm guessing that it's actually about a 13 mm? Anybody know for sure? I forget my metrics, but isn't it something like 25.4mm = 1 inch?
  • wkhowlandwkhowland Member Posts: 7
    Is there a kit available that would allow one to change the '02 ES from the non Autostick to Autostick operation?
    No there is not a kit to do it ,but it can be done but it will cost $$$. First you need to get the A/Stick center console and the shifter mechanism itself that is under the center console cover. Then you need to get a new gear selector digital display on the dash panel. Now I know with the 01's and earlier models with the separate Trans and Engine controller you just had send two wires from the shifter lever switch to the trans controller to manually shift up and down ,and get 12 volts and ground to the same switch on the shifter mechanism. Also I know on pre 98 cars the body controller has to be changed to the high-line model . As for the 02 , not sure if the body controller has to be changed .
    The drain plug takes a 13mm socket or wrench.
    ...I'll remember that for next time. Unless by now I've stripped the drain plug down from a 13mm to a 1/2"! Guess I'll find out when it comes time to do the 65K oil change!
    wkhowland,

autostick isn't a big deal. after awhile i really didn't use it much. if it were me, i wouldn't spend the money...jmo.