Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• lee1nyclee1nyc Member Posts: 60
    I really enjoy using the Autostick. I do not however think it is an easy or cheap after market add on. I remember someone posting the same request on the Dodgeintrepid.net board. Another member in the know explained how complicated it is to modify. You might want to go to dodgeintrepid.net and search "autostick" for results.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    I posted the the answer on A/stick on the Intrepid board.so it will be the same as what I posted above
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    I rarely use mine on my 2000 R/T other than passing on a country road.

I guess it is because I don't like to drive a car extremely hard so it lasts longer and gets better mileage. I bought the most powerfull model partially thinking the engine would not have to work as hard since I do drive faster and accelerate quicker than the average person.

I've got almost 21,000 miles, and absolutely no braking problems at all. Feels the same as the day I drove it away from the dealer.

Have to comment on the statement Chrysler is a better company now. I see no facts to support that, either in product, marketing, employee moral, leadership, or sales. All signs point to a company where management is incompetant at best, or purposefully destructive. Since Chrysler is no longer American owned, it gets no special consideration related to future automobile purchases.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    agree with above post...and it's highly ironic that mercedes ranks quite a ways below chrysler in the most recent quality rankings!!
  • buy77buy77 Member Posts: 5
    just hit 60,000 miles. No major issues, waterpump was replaced, 2 O2 sensors failed. Otherwise handles great with the 3.5, gets up to 30mpg on interstate, 17-20 on local stop and go.

Anything I should be looking at as far as replacement/failures?
  • lexus_onelexus_one Member Posts: 22
    Perhaps our learned friend could provide a link to back up his statement regarding the quality ratings of Mercedes vs Chrysler.
    Not sure which learned friend the gentleman was referring to, but here is a link to a USA Today article on poor quality ratings from Strategic Visions, where Mercedes came in 31 out of 35 makes.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002/03/18/mercedes.htm

Also, a link to a J.D. Powers survey, highest ranking Mercedes was the E class in 11th place, the Intrepid was in 14th place, out of 194 models.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3671&pf=1

Regardless of quality, new models being delayed, nameplates and makes being cancelled, balance sheet destroyed, and now thinking RWD will sell in large numbers in a mainstream sedan, yet to be determined.

At least we can agree Lexus makes a fine automobile, though I really don't think any car is worth over $30,000, so I am not their target market.

jsylvester,

good links! also, i'm not positive, but i think the lh cars were also rated above the c and certainly m class mercedes in the latest consumer reports roundup.

anyhoo, it is very interesting that the redheaded stepchild of daimler is getting the good grades while the biologicals flounder! gee, who should be doing the "influencing" now!
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,685
    ...this probably belongs in the "too much information is a bad thing" category, but when I rotated the tires on my Intrepid, I found that the LH uses the same 5-lug 4.5" bolt pattern that Chrysler has used since, perhaps, the dawn of time. I had an extra wheel from my '79 NY'er in the garage and, whitewall and all, I put it on just to see if it'd fit. Perfect fit. I was thinking that I should've put those old rims on one side of the car, slapped the wire hubcaps on, and taken a picture, just as a joke!

One thing that's interesting though, is that the old RWD rims have a wider offset than the FWD rims, which makes the whole wheel stick out a bit further. For example, I'd say these stock NY'er rims made the wheels stick out about an inch on either side. If you used the old 15x7" road wheels, or the M-body copcar rims, they'd stick out even further. I wonder if fitting these types of rims on an Intrepid would improve cornering any? Not that cornering is exactly an LH weak spot ;-) Of course, God only knows what kind of clearance problems this might cause, too...
  • lexus_onelexus_one Member Posts: 22
    JSY: Thanks for the interesting link, amazing info, five of the top ten are Lexus/Toyota, simply amazing. Thanks again for providing the relevant information. Simply amazing not one of the so called "american" products made the top ten. It appears the "americans" still have alot of catching up to do.
  • vexvex Member Posts: 14
    DaimlerChrysler horsepower numbers are over inflated. There are vehicles with 30-40 less horsepower that go as fast or faster to 60mph. The 234 horsepower 3.5L goes as fast as a honda accord V6 and the same as a Chevrolet Impala 3.8L. How come? Slow shifting transmission? Any ideas?
    hummm, lets look at the numbers in the jd power survey. comparing an intrepid to the lexus es300.

intrepid has 99 problems per 100 cars, es300 has 73 per 100 car.

a little more math reveals that the intrepid averages .99 problems per car and the lexus .73 problems per car. seems to me the difference is irrelevant. plus the intrepid is considerably cheaper and larger than that lexus.
  • vexvex Member Posts: 14
    DaimlerChrysler horsepower numbers are over inflated. There are vehicles with 30-40 less horsepower that go as fast or faster to 60mph. The 234 horsepower 3.5L goes as fast as a honda accord V6 and the same as a Chevrolet Impala 3.8L. How come? Slow shifting transmission? Any ideas?
    I haven't heard any quotes yet on the Intrepid with the low-output 3.5, but the old 225 hp 3.2 tested out at 0-60 in 8.4 seconds, by Edmund's in a comparison back in 2000. I remember the Impala 3.8 with 200 hp was good for 0-60 in 8.2, and the 200 hp Taurus DOHC was good for 8.3. Those differences are actually insignificant in the real world, as driver reaction time, road surface, road grade, how much weight you have in the car, etc can throw things a bit in either direction.

Anyway, the 3.2 had 25 more horsepower than the Impala 3.8, but both engines had the same amount of torque, 225 ft-lb. The Impala gets its peak at a much lower rpm though, so, other things like transmission gearing, differential gearing, weight, etc being equal, the 3.8 would take off faster from 0-60. The 3.2 however, should do better out on the open road once the 3.8 begins to run out of steam past its peak torque curve. The Impala and Intrepid are pretty close together, weight-wise, but I think either one would weigh about 150 lb more than an Accord V-6.

Does anybody know what differential ratio the Intrepid ES with the 3.5 uses? I think the small 2.7 uses a 3.89:1, but I can't imagine the 3.5 using something like that. I think the Impala uses a 3.08:1. As for why the Accord is as quick as it is, I honestly don't know. It has 195 ft-lb of torque, much less than the 3.5's 241 or Impala's 225. It also gets it at a higher rpm. The only thing I can imagine is that the Accord uses very short (numerically high) gearing.

It's often hard to pinpoint how well a car will perform just by its horsepower rating alone. You have to look at everything...weight, gearing, tires, tranny, torque, the rpm it hits that peak hp at, etc. For instance, an old Monte Carlo SS back in the '80's "only" had 180 hp, and weighed about the same as either a modern Impala or Intrepid, yet they were good for 0-60 in just under 8 seconds.
    I don't think too many people will argue that on average, Toyota tends to have the best record as far as how well screwed together their product is coming out of the factory.

All I am trying to show is that Chrysler put some serious effort into improving the perceived quality of the 2nd generation LH's, and the factory does a much better than average job of putting them together. If my Intrepid falls apart too rapidly, then I'll move on to another make if the facts support that to be wise after considering all factors involved in purchasing a vehicle. Since Chrysler is no longer domestic, they don't get special consideration from me anymore.

However, I think for the price, Intrepids are about the best buy on the market, especially the SXT after discounts, rebates, etc.

The new ES300 looks too much like the Camry now, but I'm sure it will continue it's record for assembly quality. Shocked to see the Civic finished so low, in 151st place.
  • wkhowlandwkhowland Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for all the information! Next question, will Dodge offer the Autostick in the "ES" for '03?

Thanks,

Bill
    hey guys,

quick question. do any of you know who makes chrysler group's car stereos and cd players...? i was under the impression that it was mitsubishi...but someone else i know swears it audiovox...thanks.
  • 2001intrepid2001intrepid Member Posts: 3
    I know the 1st generation Intrepids were notorious for having [non-permissible content removed] a/c systems, I know from experience having owned two, a 94 and a 95 ES. I am considering continuing my Intrepid epic with the purchase of a 2001 SE (I'm getting an exceptional deal on the car) and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced problems with expansion valves or the compressors on the 2001 Intrepids?
  • 2001intrepid2001intrepid Member Posts: 3
    Buy77, since you have 60k miles on your 97 intrepid, i wouldnt be terribly surprised if your A/C feels a little warm this summer, i have a 95 with the 3.5L and my A/C expansion valve was clogged up at 50k miles, the Compressor siezed at 75k miles and fixing the A/C system costs over $2000-$3000 depending where you go. My father has a 94 3.3L and he experiences the same A/C problems....Also, as the car gets older the power window rails will wear out causing the windows to slow down...I had to replace my water pump at about 75k miles, i guess yours wore out early? other than that, the only other problem I can think of is with the 3.3L transmissions...my father had to replace his at about 80K miles when the gears started to slip...my 3.5 has 95K miles and i have had no problems with the transmission, but proper tranny care can prevent this, you should consider flushing your coolant system and your transmission soon too...
    making projections is dangerous to say the least.

btw, chrysler had a 6yr/100k warranty on parts of the a/c system on mid 90s lh cars. so, if you owned one of those cars, chances are your a/c problems would have been fixed under warranty...
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Methinks the one named lexus is but one of many heads of the Hydra...
    Dodgeintrepid.net has been down for several days. Does anyone know what is going on with that site?
  • cdnguycdnguy Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a Dodge Intrepid ES with the M package? However I did some research and have been discouraged by what I have read. It was not rated very well and reliability and quality control were listed as poor. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the Intrepid's reliability and quality of construction. Thanks.
    ...well, it's only a sample of one, but my '00 base model has been pretty good for the 63,000 miles I've owned it. Here's a rundown of everything it's needed. My apologies to everyone else who's already seen this...

6000 miles: patch tire (nail)
    31000 miles: new tires, tranny service, alignment check
    35000 miles: power lock actuator in door (fixed under warranty)
    38000 miles: patch tire (2 nails this time!)
    39000 miles: new front brakes
    43000 miles: power mirror control for passenger side broke; I just left it alone since it was where I needed it
    51500 miles: new spark plugs, rear brakes, thermostat housing
    62000 miles: 4-wheel alignment, tranny service

The metallic silver paint is still nice and shiny, although it has a few nicks and stone chips here and there, and a slight dent in the plastic fascia, where I bumped into a Grand Am. I also lost the black plastic lower valance panel. It's mounted too low, and speed bumps, curbs, an opossum, and finally, a cat, took their toll on it. (don't worry, animal lovers, both of 'em lived, and in fact, ran off seemingly without a scratch!) I probably should've replaced it, but instead I just cut the thing off.

Inside, things have held up pretty well...no squeaks or rattles or anything. The power windows do creak just a bit when you roll them up tight, and the plastic around the shifter is loose. And the rubber seals around the doors have shrunk, but haven't gotten to the point that they're too bad yet.

So no, it hasn't been perfect, but I've known people who have had cars totally crap out on them in fewer miles! If I had it to do over again, I'd definitely still buy Intrepid. Maybe pick another color, bigger engine, and power seat, but I'd still go with a 'Trep!
  • lasher5lasher5 Member Posts: 22
    Does anyone else have the color on their intrepids fading. My brother's white 01' bumpers are now a different shade from the body paint. Could this be constituted as a defect in materials and have DC repaint the bumpers. Anybody have luck with DC with re painting faded bumpers. It's really noticeable on white cars but I've seen it on silver intrepids as well.
    My '00 Intrepid has that phenomenon too. Had it since the day I bought it, in fact. I think it's just the way the paint cures on the soft plastic fascia, compared to the sheetmetal on the body. Mine is silver, and is pretty noticeable at certain angles and lighting conditions.

I've noticed this on cars from just about every manufacturer out there, though. In fact, I'd say the worst offender is Toyota, with the '97-01 Camry! It's mainly that goldish color Toyota uses, where I notice it the most.

I doubt it would be considered a defect, and wouldn't mess with painting the bumpers. The repaint isn't going to hold up as well as the original, and good luck getting them to match it even as good as what's on there now!
    actually the rear fascia is exactly the same colour as the rear quarter panel, it's just that the light strikes the fascia at a different angle. to prove this, look at the back bumper and compare it's colour to the decklid just above it. they look exactly the same...
    Read this string I started on the dodgeintrepid.net site.

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5058

I believe the trunk lid on the 2nd generation Intrepid is composite (plastic)

My paint matches perfectly on my slate grey 2000 R/T. Of course, I have a big rash on the corner of the fascia from hitting a very high curb in the bank drive-through. That was a bummer.
    The trunk lid is metal .Only the front and rear fascias are plastic.
  • lgoodyearlgoodyear Member Posts: 7
    Mt R/T has the OEM 17" Michellen perfromance tires but no traction. I have varied the tire pressure 7 no luck. My 96 LHS with same power and 16" tires had excellent traction. My BMW sedan which is also heavy has great traction of course frear wheel drive. Has anyone had issues witn the traction on the R/T tires? My R/T also down shifts the tranny early. the final gear shift is 4th @42 mph then kind of lugs unless you down shift it. My LHS also did this early bog down shift. Has anyone done a gear change for this or??
  • lasher5lasher5 Member Posts: 22
    I posted about my brother's 01' white Intrepid with the color fade in the bumpers. Yes, the bumpers seem to match when the car is looked on from the front and the rear. It is when viewed from the side that it is most noticeable. Also, the post about Toyota's is dead on. I have an 02' Camry that I specified that the color be the catalina blue because it was the only color where the bumpers matched the body paint. I've taken an interest in my brother's Intrepid because of the huge amount of room in the cabin and the comfortable seats. Before my brother bought this car I would probably never have considered a DC product. It's funny how one's attitude changes once you drive the car. I will try to keep an open mind in the future.
    Maybe it is just the rear of the trunk below the tail lights that is composite. I think the inside piece of the trunk lid is composite. It is hard to tell.

There were a couple of scratches on the trunk lie below the tail lights, and I'm pretty sure the dealer told me that they had a guy that comes around once a week to fix minor scratches, and the part scratched was composite.

That being said, I keep all my softball and golf equipment in the trunk during the summer, and still never have to unload it to shop. The advantages of a big car.
    the only part that is not metal on the trep trunk lid is the upper part that holds the center mounted brake lights.

lasher5 ,good to see some on this site can keep an open mind, and thats all I am going to say!!
  • intrepid1995intrepid1995 Member Posts: 3
    Hey, everyone, glad to see a discussion board about Intrepids. I've been a member of the C&D forums for several months now and enjoy them. Anyway, I'm here for some advice. I drive a 1995 Dodge Intrepid with the 3.3L 161 HP engine. It has 135,100 miles on it and has been a great car.

Recently, the A/C broke. It hasn't given me problems before. It was working fine one day, ice cold, then just died completely the next. I'm not sure if there is a leak, a broken switch, or even a problem with the compressor. Not only that, but ever since this has happened, the car has been making a loud buzzing noise. It happens sometimes (not every time) when I start the car, and sometimes it will randomly start making the noise when I am driving, and last for a minute or two, then go away. Otherwise it is quiet. Anyone have similar problems? Two different mechanics have told me it is difficult to give an estimate on A/Cs because there are many different components to it. One guy told me he could do a vacuum check on it for about $40.

One more thing. The two front windows are "broken". They are power windows and roll down just fine, no problem, not even slow. However, they do not roll up. The last time I rolled down the driver's side window it took a good twenty minutes before it came up. The passenger side window will stick and then roll up in an intermittent fashion. I think the motors in these windows may be broken, but if so, why do the windows roll down? This has been a problem for several months now.

Over all this has been a very reliable car, no problems with the transmission, engine, etc. If anyone has advice or has had similar problems, let me know, I'd appreciate it. Thanks a lot.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Hey gang... Been out for awhile. Recently swapped my 2000 ES with my mother's 1994 ES for a few days. She secretly covets the leather seats, stronger headlights and Steel Blue paint on my ES. In actuality we swapped so she could have a local friend inspect and detail it.
    Here's why I post--other than to say hello. I continue to be amazed at her 1994 ES. YES, YES--it has a mere 50,000 miles on it--gently used for a 1994 model year. That being said I always marvel at how solid, squeak free (relatively speaking) and trouble free her Intrepid has remained--after better than 8 years. Incidentally to the "theatrical" types and many heads of the hydra so aptly described. NO--no transmission problems, NO--no AC problems, NO--no engine problems--save the fuel rail recall germane to all 3.5 liters of that era. Nothing falling off or loose or rotting. Of course this is meaningless to the "oh well you "Mopar heads" will say anything".. But for those who appreciate and understand the comments--there you go.
    ...used to have a '94 Intrepid, base model. She traded it for a silver '99 base model, mainly because she just wanted something new to impress the friends at the country club with. I think it only had about 30-40K miles on it. Dealer was going to give her something like $7-7400 for it. I was seriously considering buying it from her, for that price, but she moved too quick (or I moved too slowly!)

Anyway, I guess it was no great loss, since about 5 months later I bought my '00. Had I bought the '94, chances are a brand-new car would have been the furthest thing from my mind when that time came around.

There's a lady here at work who has a '94 Concorde with the base 3.3, and I know she's got to have over 100,000 miles on it by now. I don't think she had any major problems with it, except that it started rusting on the lower edges of the doors.
  • jj42jj42 Member Posts: 3
    The Intrepid is a fine car if you only require one to take up garage space. If you intend your car to be available for every day use see the following link.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/60942/article.html
    JJ,

I read the article about the VW, and sure it's a nice car. Why in the world do you mean with "Intrepid is a fine car if you only require one to take up garage space".

I have a '98 ES that starts every time, runs great, is tons of fun to drive, and looks superb. That seems to fit the bill in all area that I am concerned with.
    38k for a veedub...!!! you got to be kidding me. and the intrepid ranks higher in quality surveys...! i guess some people are just blind to that european weed they've been smokin'.
    For $38 grand, you can buy two Intrepids, and really fill that garage.

Or buy one Intrepid, and take the other $19,000 and invest in real estate, something that will do more than just depreciate every year.
    ...buy one Intrepid for $19K, and use the other $19K to trick it out. Just imagine what kind of street terror you could build with $19K worth of mods!
  • jj42jj42 Member Posts: 3
    Lee1 the garage reference was related to the post by J5 referring to an elder ladies 94 Intrepid with 50,000 miles, hardly a typical situation.

To the others in the peanut gallery, better go re-read the article or go back to your soaps. The article was not only about the passat with the W. Trusting it does not break any rules, as the article is at EDMUNDS I shall cut and paste to make it easier for your minds to comprehend.

"The Passat starts at $21,000, and that includes such premium features as tilting-and-telescoping steering wheel, side-curtain airbags, height-adjustable headrests for all three rear positions and rear seat vents. SUMMARY: $21,000 and very useful options not available on the Intrepid.

"It's official, and, frankly, it's getting to be a little repetitive. Ever since the mid-1997 incarnation of the current generation, the Volkswagen Passat has time and time again proven to be our favorite midsize family sedan. Not only has it won the top prize in our 2000 Family Sedan Test and 2002 Premium Family Sedan Test, it's been our pick for the Editors' Most Wanted list, in which we vote for the cars that would grace our own garages, for three years running.

Apparently consumers agree with our assessment. Sales of Passats have bourgeoned more than six-fold since 1997. The car has appealed to those who seek something a little different from the mainstream, who are willing to pay a little more for style and European engineering over more ubiquitous domestic or Japanese sedans."

SUMMARY: Favourite since 1997-- the W was not available until 2002.
    600% increase since 1997-- Note 1997 long before the W.

The Passat W is set to compete in a niche market, a place unfamiliar to the Intrepid, unless of course you consider the taxi cab business as a niche zone.
    jeffie,

add a v6 (let alone a w8) engine and automatic tranny to that passat and the 21k price balloons out of control. by the way, the only features on your laundry list that can't be had on the intrepid are telescoping steering wheel and rear adjustable headrests...

the passat as a four banger can be gotten reasonably priced, but as a 6 or 8 cylinder, forget it. btw, when did veedub decide to drop their 10yr/100k powertrain warranty to 5yr/60k? the intrepid now has a much longer powertrain warranty vs the veedub...

i've driven my girlfriends 4 banger passat several times and frankly can't figure out why the media seems to like this car so much. it doesn't ride as well as an intrepid, is quite a bit smaller inside, especially width wise and when optioned up is considerably more expensive than a comparable intrepid. plus, it hasn't proven to be above average in any quality surveys...i guess it's that intangeable european thing?
    that the Passat was not a very popular car until the 1998 redesign.

In fact, here's what Edmunds says about it... http://www.edmunds.com/used/1997/volkswagen/passat/4drglxsedan/overview.html?id=lin0056

So it's not too surprising that the totally different '98 model, as well as the improvements it's seen since then, that they're selling 600% more nowadays! I believe the Passat sells about 70000 units a year...so back in '96, it was only moving about 11-12,000 a year.

The Intrepid used to be good for around 150,000 units a year, but I think that number has waned somewhat, to around 120-130,000. Still, if you want to throw some impressive numbers around, compare that to what a 1992 Dynasty or an '89 Diplomat or, better yet, what a 1981 St. Regis sold! You could easily fudge those #'s to say 1000-2000% (the '81 Rege only moved about 6,000 units...not sure about the other 2 I threw up there).

• Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Emale, Andre, JSylvester have summed it up nicely. As if any additional facts need mentioning...consider this...

1) The difference in maintenance costs--long a sore and "underreported" aspect of Honda and VW relative to Dodge and other domestic brands...

2) It's a given that the Passat and the Intrepid are not in the same "class"--either in size or target audience. The notion that the "Passat" is a true midsize is a farce... It is lucky to break the "compact" barrier. One trip in the back seat will prove it..
    I just went to an EPA website to check the Passat's interior volume. It's rated at 95 cubic feet for the interior, and 15 for the trunk. In comparison, the Intrepid is something like 104 cubic feet interior, and 18 for the trunk.

Just for comparison, most "Old school" full-size cars, like the Crown Vic and the old, angular Caprice, were around 110 cubic feet in the cabin, and about 20+ cubic feet of trunk space, while old-school midsizers like the old Malibu, Diplomat, small LTD, etc, were around 99-101 cubic feet inside, and had around 16 cubic feet of trunk space.

So like Jason said, going on interior volume, I'd put the Passat as a small midsize (or big compact ;-) I did sit in a Passat a few years ago though, and thought it was comfortable for its size. It was considerably narrower inside, and the back seat had less legroom, although I think the front seats were thinner and hollowed-out, to give a bit more kneeroom back there.

I actually do kinda like the Passat, although I prefer the room of the Intrepid. I'd also be a little leery about maintenance and repair costs on the Passat, and I'm not crazy about having a strong but tiny little engine always working at full capacity , as opposed to a larger engine that can just loaf along with little stress, but still has the power when you need it.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist is looking for someone who bought one "twin" over another where the manufacturer offers two or more vehicles based on the same basic platform. (a Maxima vs. an I35 (or I30) or the TL vs. Accord)
    Did you know it was basically the same vehicle as the other?
    Why did you choose it over the other?
    Please submit your response to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, May 15.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

hey ottowrkr,

i just read some interesting news at automotivenews.com. according to your boss, wolfgang bernhard, the next intrepid, concorde, and 300m will be based on a fwd so-called D platform which will also be shared with the mitsu galant. a C platform will be used for the sebring, stratus and mitsu lancer. that leaves the LX as an entirely new line of rwd cars (as previously mentioned). i presume your plant will be building the new LX cars. do you know if you will also be building the fwd D platform cars? any word on the new names for those LX cars?
    Cool, the return of the Imperial!! ;-) Actually, if this next-gen "D" platform is supposed to take care of all the current LH names plus the Galant, I hope it's more akin to the current LH than it is the current Galant. Those things are tiny inside!