Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    yes indeed-- the accord coinbox is a true pleasure, as is the center armrest... i do miss the solara headrest and the better jbl radio, plus the larger gas tank (on the honda, the low fuel light comes on at about 350 miles on the V6- what's up with that?)...each car has its plusses/minuses.... go Tribe/Browns in 03!
  • nrl76nrl76 Member Posts: 30
    I have a '99 SLE and my CD player has been skipping a lot. I take the CD out to make sure that it is not scratched and try to get rid of any finger prints. No help. Then I place the CD in my Changer and it does not skip at all. This leads me to believe that the in-dash CD player is to blame.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, did you use a cleaning disc? Any other solutions?

Thanks in advance,
    Neil
    '99 SLE - red/gray
  • bezaharbezahar Member Posts: 20
    I did have that problem on my CD player on my 2000, although my solution was to use a CD-MP3 player through the tape player. Not the best quality but it did give me plenty of music.
  • decondecon Member Posts: 56
    What mileage have you guys been changing the tires at?

I'm considering replacing them with the OEM Michelins again. The Bridgestone ones pulled left in old postings.

What are some other good brands?
  • 99solara99solara Member Posts: 51
    Don't take this as whining. I am trying to solve this one also. Toyota selected a tough size.
    Michelins - poor wet traction after very few miles from experince
    Dunlop - hard to keep balanced from experience, but still leaning this way
    Bridgestones - no way again from experience
    Yokos - I hear they are soft
    Toyo - ????
  • phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    Lot of guys on this group!!I expect majority of people on this group are female. Don't tell me sex-change is the favorite sport around here.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    ..are you talking about? Would you like to clarify that last post?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Is there a FULL MOON???

fastdriver
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ......still avoiding the tread depth bars at 35800 miles.......local General tire dude is offering a 420 rates 2l5/55 series for 350 out the door....FWIW. 2000 SE V-6 con clutch...ez
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    during today's morning commute, my SE-V6 began to shake/vibrate strongly at 50-60 mph. i pulled off, didn't notice anything wrong with my tires. my shop said water/ice/snow had gotten into the wheels, and just to let today's 40 degree termperature take care of things. sure enough, an hour later, no vibration...
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    .. and not only with Solaras. In the conditions you folk have had down there, it's no wonder! Some of the more-obsessed Subie owners actually apply certain types of wax to the wheels in winter to try to stop ice-buildup. Well, I'll just get on with our no snow, well above average temperate winter here in B.C. - LOL :>)
  • japsmkbtrcarsjapsmkbtrcars Member Posts: 35
    You drive your Solara pretty fast in blizzard conditions. Hope you got new tires at least!
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Toyota says to expect the 2004 Solara's public debut at the New York Auto Show in April.
    It sure missed Chicago's auto show.
  • vz18wpvz18wp Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone seen any pictures of the new 2004 Solara?

Please pass them along if they exist!

Come on, SOMEONE has had to see if it will be debuted at the New York Auto Show in April.

Thanks!

'99 SE Dianond Pearl White
    67K and still strong
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I am very surprised too that I wasn't able to find anything about the new Solara. We were able to see spy shots a few months in advance of the new Camry, but nothing about the Solara. Perhaps someone here with finer google-search skills will be able to find them!
    Maybe it will be a rebadged Lexus IS300? The quality that came out of Ontarios first attempt at building a car from the ground up, rather than just assembling Corollas, might have led corporate to rethink their new Camry 2 door. Seems strange Toyota would be keeping any car under wraps, especially one that is in direct competition with Accords 2 door, that seems to have all the bells and whistles, and buttons, and levers, and GPS's etc! I hope it's the bomb.
  • KdonkorKdonkor Member Posts: 2
    When I first bought my 2000 V6 SE Solara a few years back, this forum was really helpful with car care tips. Anyway, I haven't been back for a year or so and it's good to know people still love their Solaras. My Solara is still going strong, not a single problem. I do have a question however, it really isn't that big of a deal but has anyone of you guys experienced the silver paint on the front grill chipping away. If so, barring taking it to body shop, how did you fix it. Thanks
  • lithjohnlithjohn Member Posts: 3
    My son's 2000 Solara convertible SLE got caught in a flood in D.C. this past Saturday. The insurance company says it's totaled because of the moisture that got into the electrical components. It has 78,000 miles on it but is(was) in excellent condition. The insurance company has offered him about $17,600. That seems a bit low to me. What's your take on it? (If you work for Alexandria Toyaota, it's on your lot - red with a tan top)
    Thanks.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Actually, I used to work at Alexandria but have since moved back to my original store in Springfield. The figure of $17600 doesn't sound too bad to me considering the miles. For a three year old car with double the average miles, they only depreciated it 45% (based on a $32K price).

If you want to negotiate with them, you will need ammunition. Go to traderonline.com and pull up as many 2000 Convertibles are possible. Find a few with higher mileage and see what they are asking. Print these out and take them to your insurance company. Those on-line figures are asking price and usually very high but that is what you need when talking to the insurance folks.
    My son's 2000 Solara convertible SLE got caught in a flood in D.C. this past Saturday. The insurance company says it's totaled because of the moisture that got into the electrical components. It has 78,000 miles on it but is(was) in excellent condition. The insurance company has offered him about $17,600. That seems a bit low to me. What's your take on it? (If you work for Alexandria Toyaota, it's on your lot - red with a tan top)
    Thanks.
    Thanks for prompt response. Will check that site.
    Can I get a deal like the above postings at your dealership?
    Huh? I don't get it.
  • DABurackDABurack Member Posts: 11
    Hi, all, I was an early participant but have been basking in the virtually trouble-free operation of my 1999 SLE 6 (I love the fact that the biggest problems with the Solara in this forum seem to be of the sort, "when I insert a CD it doesn't start tracking at the beginning of the CD...."), so dropped out. Mine has 91,000 miles and nearly zero problems-- the window electrics failed at one point, a breathtaking replacement cost.

I am ready to get into the Solara market. again unless someone can point me elsewhere. What can other Solara veterans tell me about improvements since 1999? Toyota was about to introduce a supercharged version. Moonroof was a little too far back. Still looks like one of the hottest cars on the road. Classic styling. Am I right to think that there STILL is nothing out there comparable?
    DAb- the SLE is nice, but you might want to comparison-shop the G35, the new Mazda 6, and the re-tooled Accord coupe. i would've also recommended the Stratus R/T, but for some reason they're not popular around my way.

i still think the 1st gen Solara lines/style is great.

[non-permissible content removed] make better cars, eh? so Nissan, Toyota, and Honda have what to put up against the Viper and the Corvette? :)
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I read that the Camry got a new and highly-praised suspension for '02 or '03, but the Solara did not get it - it's still using the previous Camry suspension.
    I'm guessing the re-do of the Solara will have the upgraded suspension. Just something to consider if you're shopping.
    The new Accord is pretty snazy. Would stay away from the Stratus. Test drive one, and you will feel the quality difference. It just feels cheap. Drives nice, but interior plastics are poor quality. What did the window electronics run you?

Silversolara... who do you know that actually drives a Viper, or Corvette? They are nice collectibles. Great cars for the 18-25 abercrombie/muscle guys, or 40-75 middle aged crisis age group, but they are very maintenance sensitive. Better show cars, than reliable, everyday cars.

Anyone know if the new Solara will get better handling, as opposed to feeling like steering a boat. Hope it's got a sportier feel, and unique styling like the original!
    ..my 2000 SE V-6 5-speed also had failed window electronics early on...(driver's side only: corrected under warrant. On the positive side, with odometer at 35255, that's the sole negative in the repair area. You would not believe the highway MPG (To/From LA at Christmas was 34.8)

My sole beef is the handling when you push it: bob, weave, bounce. Don't push it and the ride is quiet,refined and quiet again.

215/55HR55's await next month....we'll see...ez.
    i know drivers of 2 'Vettes and one Viper. (IT directors still can afford toys, it seems) the strength of the Vette is its ability to be used every day, tho it is engineered to perform with the world's best sports cars. so your response to this is... Japanese cars are only good as every day vehicles? interesting response, coming from a Lexus owner...

believe me, i love my Solara. and i also feel that American-engineered cars get the shaft when it comes to public opinion...

just my 2 cents...
    Your I.T. friends with the Vette's and the Viper probably fall into that 18-25 year old age bracket! BTW, most I.T pro's need sports cars to look....not like I.T. guys! LOL!
    ... only the Viper driver was under 30. The two 'Vette drivers are closing in on 40. I'm amused at the thought of IT guys buying sports cars for show, but realistically, when ya got the bucks, ya buy what you want...
    :)
  • tk865tk865 Member Posts: 52
    Toyota has really made a successful blockade on any pictures of the new Solara. I've not even seen "artist renditions," or anything! Every day I look for a spy shot of the 04 Solara, and every day I come up empty. It's disapointing, as it will likely be my next purchase, expecially if the Lexus SC/ Audi TT looks rumor is true. The hardest part will be deciding if I want a convertible or coupe! I had Camry shots months before rollout, I've had at least rough Sienna shots for a few months, same with the 4-door Tundra. Also, usually region reps start talking up the new models to us in advance. All I heard about the Solara is "It's gonna be real nice.". Understand, these are the people who when first describing the new Camry and Runner spoke as if the vehicle was designed by advanced extraterestrials and brought to Earth for the good of mankind. So I wonder - is the secrecy because it's so hot if would kill sales of the current body, or is it so lame they don't want to dishearten dealers just yet? I'm guessing either way it will be a polarizing design. You'll either love it or hate it.
  • surfbabe1977surfbabe1977 Member Posts: 30
    Well Toyota can count me as a lost sale! I was wanting a new Solara, depending on how it looked. Needless to say, since they did not put any material out, and I was in need of a new car, I bought something else! If they had put our some info before the car actually hit the dealer, I may have waited, but since they didn't, I didn't.
    The 2005 Tundra's have already been released, or at least their pics. Toyota is either dropping the ball, the model, or they have a GREAT car waiting, and do not wish to damage sales of the slow selling current design. It feels like waiting for the new Oldsmobiles! Maybe Ontario Canada manufacturing plant is waiting for the less sludge prone engines to arrive from Japan. This car better be worth waiting for.
    The 2004 Tundra pictures are out. Not the 2005.
  • darobadaroba Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know whether the Solara (or any convertible car manufactured today) can seat five passengers? Is there any convertible that has three seatbelts in the backseat?

In the standard features section, Edmunds indicates that the Solara (and apparently all the convertibles) has a max seating of four.
    I sold one to a guy about three years ago who had an extra seatbelt installed in the back. His kids were very small and could fit three across. The convertible has a lot less width in the back than the coupe but a professional installer can make it legal to sit three across.
    Is it safe to add additional seat belts for additional passengers to a car designed for 4 people?
    Well, a lap belt is not as safe as a shoulder belt but certainly more safe than no belt at all. For the record, we at the dealership had no part in this. I only referred him to a local shop to limit any potential liability for the dealership.
  • sol_driversol_driver Member Posts: 4
    Hi folks, I couldn't find any threads on this topic so if it has been asked before, please forgive me. :) I have a 2002 Solara SE/V6 Coupe. I love the styling and handling of my Toyota. Overall, I am quite satisfied with the Solara except that I am not sure what I need to do to maintain it. My previous car was a 1990 Toyota Corolla and it needs very little maintenance. Is the Solara the same?

Also, a quick question on when I should get my oil change. The owner's manual says every 5000 mile is okay but the dealership told me I should still change it every 3000 mile. Is the dealership just trying to get me to go in more often? :P Thanks!

-Sol_driver
    About 3 percent of Toyotas engines in Camry, Solara, Lexus RS300, Sienna and a few other models had a problem with sludge when following the maintenance outlined in the manual, so stick to the 3,000 mile oil change, although, Toyota motor Corp should have notified you of their Special Policy Adjustment, 8 years from date of purchase, unlimited milage if the owner can show "reasonable" maintenance. The SPA covered the model years still covered under warrenty, but other websites say the problems originated in 1992. The subject boards are archived, and most are not accessable to new subscribers. Toyota has made modifications, to make the engines less prone to sludge problems. If they have not notified you, give them a call, on their toll free 800 number. It almost sounded like a bait and switch, printing up the annual maintenance cost on the window sticker, then telling people to double it! If you love your car, then change the oil. Heres a good place to start.

hjr2 "Toyota "sludge" problem acknowledged by Toyota." Feb 11, 2002 5:45pm
  • johnnyjumpstarjohnnyjumpstar Member Posts: 2
    I stopped at my local Toyota dealer today and asked about the release date for the new Solara. The dealer said they had no clue nor had they seen any photos and he suspected it wouldn't be before october! QUESTION: is the "sludge" problem with both the 4 and 6 cylinder models or just one of them? Has the problem been cleard up for the 2003 models? thanks. JJ
    I believe that 2002 Solara 4-cylinder was different from the 2001 (slightly larger displacement, for one thing). Presumably the necessary changes were made, as the problem was known well in advance of the 2002 release.
    .indicates 7500 mile oil change interval for normal (non stop and go, not pulling a trailer, etc) driving. My '00 SE V6 stick-shift is approaching end of warranty (36,000) with essentially zero maintenance problems. Soon, the 205/60HR16s will give way to 215/55s. Hopefully this will help attenuate the 'floaty' suspension travel when pushed some.....ez
    if you have one int the area. The Toyota Camry line, and others are the only cars that when they purchase, they pull the valve covers to make sure they are not buying a sludged engine. The salesmen and mechanics will tell you their horror stories. If anyone waits 7,500 miles, between oil changes, with the older engine confiruration, troubles waiting down the road. In the Edmunds synthetic boards, some peoples engines sludge with synthetic oil! Stick to the 3,000 miles or "less", like most mechanics do anyway.
    I don't know that anyone who had the sludge problem kept to the recommended oil-change intervals.

The one case I know of, the guy was using a major-name mystery oil, and went over 15k between changes. I've got no sympathy for him.

I realize the sludge problem may have affected people who went with 7500 mile (or fewer) changes. But I don't know that.

I think the 3000 mile interval is overkill, something of a hoax perpetrated by the oil companies and the oil change outfits. Maybe it made more sense with older engines.

If 3000 mile changes are good, why not 2500 mile changes? Or maybe 1500 mile changes?

I read people raving that they went with 3000 mile changes, and they got xxx,xxx miles without major engine work. But how do they know how well that same engine would have held up with 5000 or 7500 mile changes? They don't.

I've settled on 5000 mile changes (the recommended "severe" interval in the manual).

In the end, it's your money, your time, and your peace of mind.
    Believe it or not, but if you ask an auto mechanic, the kind that drives a nice car (i.e., grease monkey, gear-head, HOT RODER), about oil changes, and how he/she personally maintains there car, and many will tell you they do NOT even go 3,000 miles between changes. The engine in this car is a really good engine, IMO, almost too good for the maintenence sloppy consumer. I believe it has 2 sets of gears, twice the amount of a similar power engine. The tolerances are very tight also, compared to say an American V-6 found in a Ford Taurus. With the Taurus, the engine will run long after the rest of the car has died, or been recalled to death, whereas the V-6 in this car will be shot long before the body and rest of the car, without a bit of pampering.
  • decondecon Member Posts: 56
    JD Power gave Solara #1 for Customer Satisfaction Index.