Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    He's off and flyin' as he guns his car around the track...
    He's jammin' down the pedal like he's never comin' back...
    Adventure's waitin' just a-HEEEEAAAADDD!!
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    obviously, my driving the 'Trep is better than my computer skills. I don't know how that message reposted, but it sure makes me look fast. Actually we left 7/24 and returned 8/2.

ES
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Hmmm... And I thought I was the only one who had those lyrics committed to memory. Did you also tape capital letters to the handlebars of your bike?
    I never quite went that far, although once I did try to build a replica of the Mammoth Car out of Legos! Well, the front part, at least. I probably would have needed several sets to build the whole thing!

Oh yeah, did you end up making it to the Macungie car show? We did, and had a great time, although now I have a little too much of a "farmer tan" from wearing a tank-top to the show!
  • mike372mike372 Member Posts: 354
    going in for warranty repairs Monday. The CD player cant even play one song without screwing up. I thought it was my CD's but after trying other CD's I realized the CD player never worked right from the time the car was new. Also, the power front seat does not go up, it just tilts backwards. I finally realized this too is a defect. I hope things don't continue to break, especially after the warranty period is up.
  • stumack1stumack1 Member Posts: 56
    an '04 SXT last week (I'm shopping right now) and wasn't prepared to like this car as much as I did. I love the styling of these cars (possibly the best looking 4-door ever built - anywhere) but I was really impressed with the driving experience. - smooth, quiet, and the car seemed well put together. I'm almost ready to lay my money down. I've still got hestitations about longer term reliability (a couple of bad Chrysler experiences in the past) but the car is Consumers Reports recommended, a Consumer Guide best buy and highly rated by AAA. What do you all think, just do it??

Andre...I was really surprised by the interest in the late model cars at Carlisle also...lots of LH cars, but the PT customizing that's going on is just incredible.
  • sdradioguysdradioguy Member Posts: 101
    My mother has a 1995 3.3L with somewhere between 95K and 100K on it. She told me this morning the "check engine" light came on after some brisk driving (she had just bought a bag of ice, and had to hurry home). I'm under the impression this "brisk driving" was a mix of some freeway and main arterial streets -- taking corners and on/off ramps as fast as she could. She wasn't sure exactly when the light came on, but the trip didn't last longer than 10 minutes. She just noticed it as she was at the end of her trip.

This was about 4-5 days ago, and she says the check engine light hasn't come on since. She's wondering if this is something she should go to the dealer with, especially given its age and mileage. They've had no MAJOR mechanical problems with it, but the power steering pump has been replaced 4 times (I think all of those were done under warranty), and the A/C is not quite able to keep up with summer heat in TX (which has been the case from the time my parents bought it new).

So, what do I tell her? Spend the diagnostic bucks at the dealer or some other mechanic now, or just wait for the light to come on again? She's restoring a house 200 miles from her home base and my step-dad, and she's keeping a tight lid on the amount of time she spends in the car until she gets a better idea of what exactly is going on (she has this thing about getting stranded.. Well, I guess we all do).

Okay, that's it. Advise, please.
    The SXT is real tempting. Its a nice car, but I still question Chryslers quality control. My SE has about 5500 miles on it since I bought it brand new, and the ABS controller, CD player and power drivers seat all failed. And I take care of it as if it were a Rolls Royce. All these things were bad right off the production line. In addition, I test drove a new 03 SXT at Reedman in Langhorne PA last winter and the speedometer did not work. I came real close to buying a used SXT with 7752 miles on it, but it did not have ABS. However, the price was right. It was the only used Intrepid I looked at that was not a previous rental car. Although COnsumer Reports seemed to like it, they still questioned its long term reliability. I guess I am not a diehard Mopar fan, as this is my first Chrysler experience. And depending on how well this car holds up in the future, it could be my last.
    unfortunately, that doesn't narrow it down one bit as to what could potentially be wrong with the car. Usually, it's something emissions-related, like a valve or sensor going bad. But then my roommate had the check engine light come on (non-Mopar car, a '98 Tracker) because of a bad torque convertor solenoid! When you got to the speed that it was supposed to lock up, it wouldn't, and sent a signal to turn on the check engine light.

My grandfather has a '94 Taurus, and it's had an intermittent check engine light for a few years now. I wish he'd get the damn thing looked at, but it hasn't left him stranded yet! My guess is that, as long as the car's fluids are all topped off, and nothing's overheating, and the car doesn't act any different when the light comes on, then it's probably nothing too major.

I think I'd get it checked out though, just to find out what it is!
    Yeah, that's the problem with check engine lights, they're too damned vague. Like you said, it could be anything -- and not necessarily related to the engine itself. And yes, it could just be one of those intermittent things that never signals a real problem. I'll have her get it checked.
    ...that is exactly the type of thing I am worried about, and why I have been more loyal to GM in the past. But I am coming off a lease on an '00 Jimmy that has been an absolute piece of garbage, and my significant other has an '00 Grand Am, that while it is a nice car to drive started to nickle and dime at about 70,000 km - several others at work are having the exact same issues with GA's. I test drove an '04 GP this week that was an utter disappointment - cheap materials, poor assembly and rattles on a unit with only 3000km. I would more likely end up with an Intrepid ES (rather than an SXT - just due to local availabilty) - it really is a much better built car than the GP. I have a close friend here at work with an '01 Dakota Quad that is nice and solid and basically trouble free. Did 1600km to Carlisle and back last month and I was impressed with it.
    The interior materials of the Intrepid are not the greatest either. And I am talking about all models. If you are talking about the 'leather' seats in an ES, well only the seating surfaces are leather, all the rest is vinyl. I think the cloth seats look much better, at least in dark gray. I looked at an ES with dark gray 'leather' seats and was disappointed. Actually, the seats are the best part of the interior in my SE. The lower part of the door panels is cheap plastic and Chrysler did away with the cloth insert along the top part. As far as I know, the door panels are same regardless of model. And the used '02 SXT had 'industrial grade' cloth seats, which actually felt more like plastic than cloth. The '03 SXT's were changed to different cloth seats.Probably because no one liked the 'plastic' material. But I paid 16,900 for my SE with the 'D' package and ABS. It was a leftover '02. So the price was right. At one point I was considering a used Lincoln Town car which was much better built. But did not think I could afford the gas.There's a reason why all the limo companies use Lincolns, and that is they can easily go 200,000 miles.
    ...count how many things have been de-contented on the Intrepid! (okay, only if it's a very boring party or a party populated by car nuts!)

Lessee, comparing the base '00 model to the current SE, here's what I come up with:

1) No rear sway bar on the new model
    2) No tint on the windows
    3) Cruise control now optional
    4) Vinyl in place of cloth on the door panels
    5) No carpet on the lower door sills

Anything else we can add to that list? Just out of curiosity, is there anything that's been ADDED to the SE as standard, over the '00?

I am disappointed that Chrysler saw fit to de-content the Intrepid, but I still think it's one of the best values in its class. I'd still take one over an Impala, Taurus, or Camry. I admit to having a soft spot for the Altima, although I don't think it's any better-built. And I like the new Accord too...everything but its looks!
    has anyone tried changing the serpentine belts in their Intrepid themselves? I was just wondering how hard it is to do nowadays? Anyone? Bueller? Ottowrkr? You put 'em on in the first place, so I figure maybe you'd know how to replace 'em!
  • mdeymdey Member Posts: 90
    After 48k I had to spring for new tires. The OE Goodyears had just under 4/32 of tread left, but my wife nailed a curb hard enough to cut through the steel belt on the sidewall of the right front, and I didn't feel good about leaving that one on anymore. Besides, the tires were just noisy, and have been since the first day.

I bought a slightly less agressive set of BF Goodrich Touring T/As from Sam's ($377 US and out the door in 45 minutes). The center of the tread pattern is similar to the Goodyears, but the pattern at the outside of the the tire surface is tighter than the Goodyears, and cut at an angle. Much quieter (in fact, no noise at all) and still close enough to OE design that it shouldn't affect the handling of the car.

At 48k, the only issue we had to have addressed on the car was an eratic idle. The dealer reprogrammed the computer based on a TSB and problem solved. I can't seem to keep the rear brake rotors true, but I suspect that is a driver problem. I am also still miffed that ABS is optional.

Has anyone replaced the unvented rear rotors with vented rotors? Can that be done and keep the OE calipers?
    ...the sway bar, tint and cruise are all still standard in Canada on the SE. 16" wheels and CD player were added for '02, and fog lights and keyless remote were added as standard for '04. You're right, it's still the best value of the bunch. A co-worker was surprised that an '04 ES with leather, sunroof, chrome wheels, 234 hp engine etc. can be purchased here for the same price as a 4-cyl. Camry SE with nothing but alloy wheels. The Camry is a nice car, but certainly not a "value".

Mike...everyone is describing their leather as "leather-trimmed" or "leather-faced" now...I think someone got called down on the fact that the bulk of the interiors were really vinyl but were being marketed as leather.
    Well, before I could get back in touch with my mom, she took it to one of the Dodge dealers in Austin, TX, and had them look at it. Turns out it had a bad O2 sensor, so that explains why she thought she smelled unburned gas from time-to-time. The sensor was replaced for somewhere around $225, and she's back on the road.
    I blew out the inside the door speaker with too much loud base. I removed it yesterday, took off the close covering and glued the fiber part of the speaker back onto its circumferential mounting. Now it sounds great, and I will keep the volume down.

Mdey, that's great mileage from those OE tires. Mine only lasted to about 34,000 and boy were they noisy. Much better with the Cooper Touring Lifeliners on there now.

About the brake rotors, I don't know, but am interested in why you are thinking about those rear vented rotors.

ES
    body side moldings were deleted as standard on the '03 and '04 SE's. However, 'solar control' glass is still standard, but 'all' windows are not solar control glass. I am not sure if its the front and back windows or the side windows. I have to check it out further. Actually, I was at my local Dodge dealer today, and while waiting for service, I took a look at the 04's in stock. It looks like the aluminum wheels (optional on hte SE) are now the same as those available on the SXT. They look slightly better and are 'machined' not cast aluminum wheels. But the rear sway bar is definitely missing. And on the SXT they had in stock, the hood and right front fender were so misaligned it looked as if the car had been in an accident. I mean really poor quality control. This is inexcusable in todays cars. If you look at my parents new Camry with a magnifying glass, all the panels fit perfectly. This is where Detroit is still lacking it seems. I think the new Accord is a real good looking car. And it has quality thats second to none.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    mike372,

the accord is a good car but not free of problems. i currently have an '03 ex v6 coupe and it's had some issues. nothing major mind you but still irritating. here is the list.

1. rear shelf that rattled
    2. various/intermittent rattles around sunroof and dash.
    3. engine that sometimes cranks for a long time before starting - prolly a fuel pressure regulator problem.
    4. door trim that become deformed from the sun presumably.

i will say that the accord does have excellent fit of panels inside and out. but it ain't perfect...!
    Just wondering if you still have your Intrepid or did you sell/trade it in for the Accord.
    mike,

no, i traded my '00 intrepid for an f150 supercrew back in '01.
    ....and we've struggled to forgive you ever since...(wink)
    no, you're just mad that i'm not around as much to pick on the riff raff...:)

anyway, jason, you going to NAIAS this winter? i'm kinda throwing around the idea myself...
    For a variety of reasons I've been unable to go in the past--but this is the year I'd like to get there.. NY is nice but NAIAS is the crown jewel... Shall we?
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    I'm renting an Intrepid for a week. Does any know if it comes with a CD player. I need one in the car I get. Anyone have past renting experiences with the Intrepid.
    it's going to depend on what options the car has. If it's just a base SE model with no options, it's just going to have a tape player. There are several radio options available, though. And SXT or ES might have a standard cd player, though.
    The base SE model does not come with a CD player. However, a CD player is included in the 'D' package. Most rental Intrepids have this package. All the used rental Intrepid SE's I looked at had a CD player. The only differences among the SE rentals were that some had a split bench front seat and some had buckets, and some had aluminum wheels while others had wheel covers. I actually rented one for a day and it had an upgraded CD sound system with a more powerful amp than the usual stereo that comes with the 'D' package (it came from Dover Chrysler/Plymouth in Randolph, NJ).
  • mdeymdey Member Posts: 90
    Smithed: Vented rotors cool better than unvented. I realize that rear brakes don't work as hard as front, but the rotors on the rear of my car are warped. The front rotors are fine. I suspect they overheated and that warped them. If I have to replace them, I'd like to go with vented rotors. But I suspect I'll have to replace the calipers too, and that is probably not worth the expense.
    that the rear rotors would warp before the front rotors. My front rotors are a bit warped, but not enough to bother me. I'll probably replace them the next time I do my front brakes. I don't think the front ones are very hard to get off, are they?
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Front rotors are very easy to replace .
      Remove tire/rim . Use 10 MM wrench and remove the the two caliper mounting bolts, then remove caliper . Pull rotor off . Thats it !!!
    Well my local Dodge dealer replaced my CD player with one that works today. Now I can listen to Freebird, Smoke on the Water, House of the Rising Sun, etc with the CD I burned. I may even come up with a few more classic CD's now. With just over 6K miles I guess I am due for another oil change. The Trep still looks showroom new. Maybe I will rotate the tires also.
    today. I had it in to get the serpentine belts replaced and the coolant flushed. I thought about trying to do those belts myself, but when I looked at what a tight clearance there is, I figured I'd save myself a few busted knuckles and a lot of bad attitude, and just break down and pay to have it done! Oh yeah, I also hit 84,000 miles last nite, while taking it to the shop to drop off.
    andre- what does the dealer charge for that service?
    I'm not sure what the dealership would charge. I only go back there for warranty work which, thankfully, I've needed very little. I took it to a local Amoco station that has a good rep, and they did it for about $240. I'd have to double-check the bill, but I think the belts came out to around $150 installed, and the coolant flush was around $50+ the coolant, and then the usual shop fees, tax, etc. I know it would be considerably more at the dealership, though.

I used to go to a couple of guys who used to work together at a big Plymouth-Dodge-DeSoto-Chrysler-Imperial dealership, and then had been in business on their own since 1965. But they retired last year, and the place just doesn't seem the same anymore. It also seemed like those older guys just knew their stuff better, too. For instance, they knew that my Intrepid needs the Type +4 tranny fluid, but I had to actually argue that point with the guys that took over!
    Andre, Looking through my owner's manual, I saw last week that that coolant flush is due at 5 years independent of the number of miles on the car. I didn't remember that. I guess that's why it's good to look at those intervals now and then. 5 years for my 'Trep will be next March. Seems like I just picked it up from the dealer yesterday! 68,000 miles now.

All oil changes have been done by the dealer, because they gave me coupons when I bought the car. Average price to me for oil and filter change has been between $0 and $5.

Is it harder to tell if the rear rotors are warped? I just had my front rotors turned when the new pads were applied. Doing that took out the vibration I was getting when braking. The rear pads were fine and we didn't touch those. The rear rotors are a lot smaller than the fronts. The dealer did not do my brakes, because my brother has his own shop, but alas, it is 700 miles away. He did the brakes when I was on a visit to PA.

ES '99
    I knew it was 5-year coolant (I thought it was 5 year/100K mile, like the stuff that's in my uncle's '97 Silverado, though), but I've heard that the stuff can go downhill fast if you actually wait until 5 years.

The mechanic said that I did have some sediment in my coolant, so I figured it would just be best to flush it out before it starts getting too clogged up.

I ended up missing the interval for my belt change, though! I could've sworn that I looked through the owner's manual before, and just never saw it listed. But the last time I looked there it was, plain as day, 60,000 miles. Oops!

The mechanic was also saying that if you change the coolant a little more often, then the hoses will last longer, as well. I dunno if this is true or not, but he said I shouldn't have to worry about hoses until around 150,000 miles, nowadays.

A few other tidbits...he said they'd charge about $140 for a tranny service. One reason it's pretty pricey is because of that Type +4 stuff. And in the event that the tranny ever did go bad, he said that a factory-remanufactured unit would only run about $2100-2200 installed, and that would be with a 3 year/75K mile warranty.

While that's still a lot of money, it does make me feel a little better about the tranny. I was thinking they were a lot more expensive than that!

Oh speaking of trannies, the president of my condo association has a '93 Eagle Vision, with the 3.3. Original engine and tranny. She has about 200,000 miles on that sucker.
    Andre,

OOPS!!

I have missed that belt change, too. I'm not reading that manual carefully enough. Maybe I'll go for the belt and fluid change at the next oil and filter.

ES
    jason,

does your hotmail address still work??
    thanks for the info
    Nope, haven't had that account for quite some time now. Forgot all about it being listed in my "profile". Got one I could "emale" you at?
    Gang... My 2000 ES just turned 69K. Back around 55K, the dealer noticed my "belt" was glazed and had some minor cracks. I was under the impression that the life of the timing belt/unibelt was 100K or so.. Experiences? Yes mine is the 3.2...
    I think the interval for the timing belt (the 3.2/3.5 have a timing belt, whereas the 2.7 uses a chain) is 105,000 miles. The external, serpentine belts though (there's one for the alternator and one for the a/c, at least on the 2.7) are supposed to be done every 60,000 miles.

Mine were getting to the point that they had kind of a shiny, glazed brown look to them, but I didn't see any cracks, at least not major ones.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Jason - and everyone else - you are required to keep a valid email address on file here at all times. You don't have to make it public if you don't want to, but it does have to work. So Jason, please update your profile - thanks! :)
    jason,

the email address in my profile works...but let me know if you send something to it...i rarely check it because of so much spam...
    Now I have the owner's manual for '99 before me. For schedule"A" normal operation--at 60,000 miles or 48 months it says "inspect and replace, if necessary, the drive belts. at 75,000 miles or 60 months "adjust the drive belt tension"flush and replace the engine coolant at 60 months", at 100,000 miles "replace the engine timing belt, spark plugs, and ignition cables" 105,000 miles is for "California Emissions equipped vehicles only" What difference the 5,000 miles makes to non-California equippped vehicles, I can't imagine. what do you think that is?

ES
    will not pass inspection because of too much hydrocarbons in the exhaust. I replaces the plugs and checked all of the vacuum hoses, except for one coming off the carb which I have plugged because I dont know where it goes. The OEM repair manual does not show this particular one. The PCV valve appears to be OK. One thing I noticed and cant figure out- the engine runs smoothly until it is warmed up, at which time it does not run as well. I also set the timing. Does anyone have any ideas, other than I should probably be on the Firebird forum.
    Well, folks, it looks like the Trep made it into the top 10 most wanted(stolen) vehicles, measured as per 1,000 vehicles, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. It was listed as 6th. Huuuummmm, maybe I should have selected another vehicle. It was interesting to note that 5 out of the top 10 were Chrysler manufactured vehicles (others include Stratus (2), Jeep, Sebring and one other ( I cant remember which one, oh yeah, Dodge Ram pickup). Maybe Chrysler vehicles are easier to steal. Or maybe they are better cars (well probably not). The Cadillac Eschalade SUV (or however you spell it) was number ONE based on percentage per 1,000.

So next time you think about parking your beloved Dodge Intrepid in the local shopping mall, you had better think twice!!! Better yet, get a good security system installed.
    Based on sheer numbers, the Toyota Camry (my parents pick) was number One. But many more Camry's are produced than Intrepids.
    when you go to trade in a car, at best you usually get Blue Book Wholesale. If said car was to get stolen and not recovered, you get Blue Book Retail. Umm, not that I'm suggesting anything...shady? ;-)

<oops, did I leave my 'Trep unattended, unlocked, and running down in Southeast DC again? ;-) >
    I thought you get NADA retail value also. But that is not the case anymore, at least with State Farm Insurance. When they totaled out the Celica, they compiled a list of similar cars sold during the previous few months. That may be OK when you are talking about a newer car, since many are sold by dealerships at pretty high prices. But in the case of the 91 Celica, nearly all the cars they listed were private sales (newspaper ads) and many cars were not in very good condition. And the sale prices reflected this. They seem to do the same thing with cars only a few years old also. In the case of the late model Intrepids, resale prices are typically lower than many other cars because so many are rental Intrepids, which sell for less than privately traded cars. How much lower is hard to tell.