Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Back from vacation so soon?
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    yeah, was a short stay in erie (near boulder). got back late monday night (and for once northworst was on time!). basically spent a long weekend visiting friends, eating, drinking, etc. i had visited with my local ford dealer before i left so the ball was already in motion. took delivery today. nice truck but does have to go back for one problem. just noticed a minor dimple in the sheet metal just behind the driver's side rear dooor on the cab. oh well, nothing is perfect. otherwise it seems to be well built. later...
  • cwertzcwertz Member Posts: 1
    Hey folks, I am looking to buy a used car. I was looking at a 1997 Dodge Intrepid. It has 31,000 miles, V6, 3.3liter. The price I was originally quoted was $9,100 but I just talked with the salesman and he lowered the price to $8,400. If I or someone else does not buy it by next Friday, he is taking it to an auction. Also, this car has never been owned, it was a dealer vehicle. First, is this a decent car with good reliability? Second, is the price I am getting a fair one? If I do purchase this car, should I get the Dodge or any extended warranty? Thank you in advance!
  • abaltoabalto Member Posts: 22
    That questions and technical advice web site...

I have also looked for a good Dodge web site to ask questions and technical advice, opinions, etc. The best site I have found is www.moparchat.com This site is clearly the best in quality, with over 60,000 posts! Good luck either way Trevor!
  • davidudavidu Member Posts: 40
    Man, it's quiet in here!!
  • revenuerobrevenuerob Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone --

I'm on my second Chrysler vehicle (specifically, a 1996 Dodge Intrepid), which I bought here in sunny FLAT Florida new with 11 miles on it.

About 3 months after purchase, I began to notice that the body parts and interior materials seemed to make a lot of noise....they squeak, they rattle, the door panels "moan" when you press your leg against them. The dealer had zero resolutions for me other than "try putting some shims under the plastic pieces". Over the years, the problem has gotten worse, and the car now makes more noise than the 75 year old wood floors in my historic old house. I have test driven a new Intrepid (2000 STD), and it was just as loose and poorly-built as my 1996 in regard to fit and finish.

I don't recommend Chrysler for anyone who plans to keep their car for a while and try to resell. Every buyer I've had look at my car has noticed the noise, and I'm pretty sure I'll just have to trade in.

I'm going back to a Buick LeSabre as soon as possible. Sorry, but I'm out of the Chrysler ownership game.
    boy, sqeaks and rattles sure don't jive with my intrepid experiences (96, 98 and 00). i haven't driven a new lesabre but did drive the previous generation. if you are into a marshmallow ride and the geriatric look and feel, than the lesabre won't disappoint!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    revenuerob-

Also if you don't like visiting the dealer all the time for repairs, the LeSabre won't disappoint either!!

fastdriver
    maybe, fastdriver...my uncle's 97 hasn't been a bastion of quality...
    emale-

NEITHER has my 99 300M!!! FAR from it considering it was car of the year, top 10 best and Chrysler's "flagship" model!

fastdriver
    we "ALL" know about it...fastdriver.
    emale-

Just want to make sure no one forgets!

fastdriver
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    revenuerob.
    It´s a free world,make your best choice,but I don´t think a Lesabre is any better,in fact I agree with emale,I haven´t had your problems with my two Intrepids.
    emale.-
    I DO AGREE with you with your posts,specially the last ones!
    copperhead1-

I'll keep telling it in the hopes that I can spare others the grief that I've experienced for the past 28 months! So, if you don't want to hear it or read it, just skip right by!

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/7501/

fastdriver
    fastdriver,

from all the posts i've seen at edmunds...it appears to me that the kinda grief you've had is rather limited...

mytch,

very informative post...too bad it applies to maybe the 93-through early 95 intrepids. later models are a different breed, having owned three of them gives me the right to say that...
  • phardyphardy Member Posts: 12
    Hello,

I have a 2000ES with ATC (automatic temperature control). I can't remember if someone else has the same problem I'm facing, so I'll describe it here.

I have the temperature set for anywhere between 74 - 77 degrees. After about 15 minutes of driving, if the overhead console temperature display is anywhere between 50 - 60 degrees, the ATC starts blowing out cold air. If I reset the temperature to 77 degrees, warm air starts to blow, but eventually it leaves everyone in the car with an uncomfortable feeling. Dropping the temperature to 76 degrees immediately starts blowing out cold air again.

Has anyone had this problem before? If so, how was this problem solved. I saw a couple of TSBs on the NHTSA web site, but does that mean the issue was just "recorded" or that it is a problem and is fixable?

I'm in the NY metro. area if that has to do with anything.

Thanks for your help.
    What´s the matter with you?
    I don´t care what you say,I never mention your name in my post.

So, if you don't want to hear it or read it, just skip right by!

Don´t play smart with me! OK?????????
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,638
    Hey guys, quit picking on the LeSabre! ;-) Our family has one, and it's a damn fine automobile. Solid, reliable, sturdy, seats 6 in comfort, nice torquey V-8. Big trunk. Sturdy bumpers. Oh, wait a minute...our LeSabre is a 1985 and shares nothing whatsoever with the current one. Ok guys, tear it apart to your heart's content then ;-)

-Andre

PS: this was meant to be a joke...I actually kind of like the new LeSabre
    andre,

better visit the eye doctor, pronto!

phardy,

tsbs reference specific problems and how to fix them. they aren't just owner reports.
  • tom_tom_ Member Posts: 25
    Good thing I didn't listen to Fastdriver's advice about not buying Chrysler. If I did I never would have enjoyed the experience of owning one of the BEST cars out there.
    Emale... Good to see you're still up and about. How's the F150 treating you? Just got back from a few days vacation in the sunny south. Had the distinct "pleasure" (he said with oozing sarcasm) of driving a Chevy Impala for a rental. Was happy to get back into my ES when I got home.
    I would have to say that it's "unusual" to have that many sounds emanating from an Intrepid. My mother's 94 and my aunt's 93 have no such discernible cacaphony. On cold mornings you will get a squeak here or there over a bump--but all in all nothing so severe or distracting as reported above... Hmmmm...
    jason,

i haven't really driven the new truck much. trying to put all the miles on the ranger before it goes back to ford the first of december.

anyway, i already miss the car! last week went home to visit the relatives and drove the ranger. crappy gas mileage and crummy seats for long distance. the supercrew has comfy seats but i'm sure gas mileage won't be any better than the rangers. are u still planning to go to detroit for the autoshow in jan? i hear the new ram is going to be unveiled. if the drawings i've seen of it are even close it should be a knockout! later.
    I'll resist the temptation to be a smart [non-permissible content removed] and say...oh...."You asked for it" with regard to your new purchase. By the way...how did they treat you on your Trep for the trade? I assume, perhaps correctly or un, that you traded it on the SuperCrew?
    So far, so good, I'm on for the trip to NAIAS in Detroit. Can't wait to see new Ram and any other goodies they have lying about. Did you catch that last "computer enhanced" shot at Car-Truck? Looks great but too much like the current Ram. I really preferred that colored sketch they had several months back with the all red front--as compared to the chrome in the latest one. In any event--happy motoring. Are your SURE I can't convince you to hit Detroit? First rounds on me..
    Thanks about the TSBs. I'll call the dealer right now.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I have just returned from a trip to Panama City Beach. Driving down, 27.6 mpg, A/C on most of the time. Coming back, 28.4 mpg, A/C on only some of the time. Driver's seat still moves fore and aft (damn) but car performed well. Drove mostly between 65-75 mph.
    Ok. I just called the dealer and explained my problem. He tells me "that's what the car is supposed to do. It's supposed to heat up the car and then cool it down to the specified temperature." I told him that it blows out cold air at any temperature up to 77 degrees after heating it up tremendously. Then he decided to set me up for an appointment.

More to come when I come back from the shop on November 2nd.
    jason,

i would really like to check out the auto show but i have very little vacation time at present and what i do have is already spoken for. maybe one of these years...
    Understandable... I'll give you the "blow by blow"... So..about the trade-in?
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    For new Ram spy photos, try thecarconnection.com
    jason,

as i'm sure you know, trading in is tricky. the supercrew listed for nearly 34k. my trade difference was 10.5k. not too bad, but not great either. the supercrew has only been out since early summer and they seem to be selling well so real effective bargaining just wasn't in the cards...
    25000 mile service, and he quoted about $500.00. It includes transmission service (about $110), oil change ($25), change air filter, clean fuel injectors and throttle body. Is that worth $500? I told him I would probably do it in stages (giving me time to talk to you, the experts). The oil change and tranny service seem OK, but is the rest priced right? Thanks.
    marsha7-

Man, have to watch you every minute! ;-)) You FELL for this? Go by the schedule in your OWNER'S manual. The dealer will try to sell you THEIR maintenance schedule, not Chrysler's. They all do this! You can change the air filter yourself. Takes 2 seconds. As for the fuel injectors, if you use a name brand fuel I don't think you have to worry about this either. They do sell name brand fuel injector cleaner in any automotive store that you can add to your gas if you're worried about them being clogged. See what the manual says about fuel additives. Maybe this is all the dealer does anyway.

I'm sure others in the know will have a more definitive answer for you.

fastdriver
    marsha...marsha...marsha!!!

what year is your trep? if it's a y2k, you don't need a tranny service as y2k models have atf+4 fluid which is supposed to never need changing unless you feel you fit the severe service requirements. i agree with fasdriver about fuel injectors. i usually would just run a tank of 10% ethanol thru my car every 5th tank or so. and, changing the fuel filter on schedule will probably negate the need for any fuel injector service. btw, did you ever get your auto climate control working properly??
    Hold on a second. I recall reading numerous posts about LH buyers changing the fluid in the tranny (a tranny service, if you will) in the 20-30K mile range, and they found their trannys were shifting better and smoother. I was looking forward to the same. While the dealer may have other motives, the tranny service made sense only because of what I have read in these posts!!! {I only hope I am not confusing the LH posters (Intrepid, LHS, 300M) with posters on some other topic like Lexus GS400 :) }

Anyway, I truly was not sure if placing fuel injector cleaner in the tank was the same procedure as the "pros" use (as in 5-star dealers, yuk, yuk).

Yes, I can certainly change my own air filter, but fuel filters can sometimes be placed in the most awkward places.

To answer, since it cooled down, my A/C problem is hardly there (what else is new?) so it may have to wait until next season, which is annoying. While I do not need the air in winter, it annoys me to have something malfunctioning when the SOB's could have done something already.

Maybe, my financial picture will improve by spring, the Nasdaq will be down to 1250, as I predict, the Dow will be down to 3500, as I predict, and P/E ratios will approach normal, Amazon will file Chapter 7 along with all the other Internet companies that rose on hype without substance, never had anything worthwhile to sell, and Bill Shatner will be back on Star Trek because Priceline will sell for 10 cents a share.

Either way, Bush or Gore (Gore scares the daylights out of me, Bush not as much, would really like to see Buchanan or Browne win) I believe Greenspan will raise rates right after the election, so as not to be accused of "influencing" the election. Last note: the country may not be ready for him yet, for reasons that are obvious, but keep an eye on Alan Keyes. If you want to see a spirited debate, put Pat Buchanan and Alan Keyes in it and watch the sparks fly.

Sorry to ramble.
    I rambled so bad I lost my thought. The reason for mentioning my financial picture to begin with was that maybe I could trade the Trep, and get something like the following: Audi A6, Lexus GS300, Acura RL/TL, VW Passat-Plus (280 HP according to the rumors), MB E430, Jaguar S-type 4.0, Vanden Plas Supercharged, or any one of many cars that I can only dream about now. If you care to comment on any of my aforementioned list of cars, feel free to do so.

When you get to me my age, the mind does wither. As I have often described, I can remember what happened 30 years ago, I just can't remember what happened 30 MINUTES ago. LOL :):):):):)
    Hi Marsha,
    I contacted my dealer a few months ago about a 30K mile service, and they told me a whole BS list of things that it would need...spark plugs, coolant change, belts/hoses, lube the chassis, service the transmission, change the points in the distributor.

Ok, I made that last one up ;-), but they seriously said "lube the chassis", which I couldn't believe. Now I believe the spark plugs and coolant should be good for about 100K miles, and, at the worst, the serpentine belt should be good for around 50K.

I'm getting the tranny serviced, though, because the way I drive I know it's going to need it. There's a local shop that's always done good by me, who's going to do it. The car also needs new tires, which I ordered from Discount Tire, and as soon as they come in, I'm taking the car to the garage and having them do it all.

Oh yeah, the dealer wanted something like $500.00 for their 30K mile "service".

So, depending on how you drive, you probably don't need anything done at 25K miles. It might be a good idea to have a trustworthy mechanic check things over, but just as a precaution. As for the air filter, you can get one from a parts store for about $10.00, and it takes 2 minutes to put in. It's actually a fairly rare part, though, so you may have to order it. Our local Trak Auto does not stock it, but can order it. I ended up buying one at Yates Auto Parts, which had it in stock (but has since closed down, at least in our area) :-(.

Anyway, good luck with your Intrepid...hope the dealer doesn't take advantage of you!

-Andre
    Marsha... You are correct...$500.00 is steep but more so for a comprehensive service SO EARLY in the life of a car than the service itself. The 50,000+ mile service on my wife's Diamante ran over $800.00 for just a bit more than you were having done. I think you've been well-advised by the group...have the oil and filters (air, fuel) replaced but little else I should think. With regard to the fuel injectors--Mitusbishi ran this (including an intake and injector cleaning) several times over the life of our Mitsbushi vehicles--we obliged once but not again. Imagine that on vehicles that recommend premium fuel.
    My recommendation would be to use good quality fuel and use a good quality gas treatment/fuel injector cleaner twice a year in your tank. That has consistently worked for our other vehicles. You are correct in that several of us have SUGGESTED and discussed changing the filter and fluid in our new Intrepids as a precaution. Think I'll have that done around 20-25K--I"m only at 15K now.
    Good luck and keep us appraised. Always remember to get the estimate up front, go with the standard schedule in your owner's manual, and feel free to say "I'd like to check with another dealer on the price of service, then I'll let you know"..
    Marsha... In the second paragraph I'm referring to our suggestion and discussion of the TRANSMISSION oil and filter. Your recollections on that discussion are correct..
    marsha,

if your intrepid isn't a y2k than by all means change your tranny fluid and filter. however, if it is a y2k, then you can stretch it out some. a chrysler service told me he'd change the new fluid out at about 60k...even though the owner's manual says you never have to change it...my two cents.
  • kbt1kbt1 Member Posts: 3
    The autos you mention are all excellent choices. Edmunds lists the Passat as the most sought after 2001 sedan. I am sure all in the list would be a cut above anything Chrysler has to offer.
    Trust your dealer,and a change of oil to your tranny will be good,stop listening to others,trust your service dept.
    years ago, I would NEVER trust a dealer, and always used independent mechanics to fix my cars. Starting in 1985, with my first (of four) Hondas, I never trusted anyone BUT the dealer. I have dealt with five Honda/Acura dealers, and they have all been competent and honest (IMO) with me. Having owned Hondas since 85, I have not dealt with a non-dealer mechanic in years, the the desired "trusted mechanic" does not exist in my world.

P.S. Andre, it would be strange if they recommended points and condenser, considering Chrysler was the first (I believe) to convert to a (crude) electronic ignition system in 1972 (Watergate, anyone?)

Bob
  • stevegaylorstevegaylor Member Posts: 1
    Looking for some help from your experience.

I have a 1998 Intrepid and 1998 Intrepid ES--both iterations (which puts me in an interesting position to compare!

I am planning on keeping the base Intrepid and selling the ES, but I would like to do two things before I do.

Firsst I do like the alloys on the ES. I am sure they will mount no problem on my base sedan. BUT will the 15" wheels fit my ES? Bolt pattern? Brakes?

If not, where can I find 1 set of 16" steel wheels and hubcaps that were optional in 98 and standard to present. I am sure they will fit my 1998 ES. Right?

Second I would like to swap the Infinity CD system in the ES for the base Cassette Unit in my base model. DOes anyonehave any experience with such a swap? Do not want to fry the radio.

The dealer has been indifferent to my requests. Think they would appreciate my two purchases, but....

ANy help appreciated, especially where I might find parts!

Thanks!
    steve,

why don't you make it easy on yourself and just keep the es model? looks to me like you are trying to turn your base model into an es anyway...
    You can easly change wheels and swap radios with no problem,a friend of mine made that just two weeks ago with no problem at all.
    And it was very easy to perform it,the radio has just 4 screws,and that´s it!
    davidu,

what size is run on the "regular" 300m? that would probably work good...
  • akbossmanakbossman Member Posts: 1
    ENGINE DIED AS IT GOT UP TO SPEED DEALER SPENT 22 HOURS AND SAYS ENGINE WIRING HARNESS ($1300)IS BAD.RAN JUMPERS PAST CAM AND TIMING WIRES TO SENSORS AND IT RUNS BUT NOT RIGHT. REPLACED COMPUTER BUT NO CHANGE. NEEDS REPLACED AT 45,000 MILES ,ITS ON ME. ANY ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE THANKS.
    Ask the help and supervision of a DC service rep.
  • drerulezdrerulez Member Posts: 6
    wow, copperhead is everywhere!
    Well gang, it was on this day one year ago that the relationship with my Intrepid was started. November 6, 1999. 147 miles on the clock. Now, one year and 31,100 miles later, no real problems to report. The silver paint is still nice and shiny, although the front and rear plastic doesn't quite match. I've had the tranny serviced, the alignment checked (didn't need adjusting, though), a new air filter and pcv valve, and a set of new tires.

I must say that this past year has shown about the most uneventful, trouble-free 30K miles I've ever put on a car! Down-time has been minimal...a few days back in Feb when the car got a flat tire in my grandmother's driveway and was basically buried in the snow. I left it and drove another car until it thawed out. One day back in May when I dropped it off at the dealer to have the tranny checked out because of it's occasional refusal to engage. A few days in July after some knucklehead broke into it at 6-Flags America, and it was laid up in the body shop, and then Circuit City for an alarm system. And finally one day last week, to have the tranny serviced and new tires put on. Total time out...maybe 9 days.

Now, let's just pray the next 365 days are as uneventful and worry-free!

-Andre