Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Your Intrepid is a 1999 correct? How many miles do you have on it? I also think that fastdriver is on to something regarding the warranty... Wonder how that got by the service manager? Oh well...hope this issue gets resolved soon...
  • coachditkacoachditka Member Posts: 11
    It is a 1999 with 42000 miles. I am trying to find info about emmissions warranty.
  • coachditkacoachditka Member Posts: 11
    I have looked at all my paperwork on the car, and cannot find anything about the emissions warranty...any help finding the info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    that sux that they're trying to stick you with a big bill for that EGR valve. I didn't think the EGR valve was a big deal.. but 400 bucks!! And $85 just to tell you what the problem is!

I wonder how much it costs nowadays to replace a power window motor. I had 2 go out in my 1989 Gran Fury, and it cost $500 to fix them both ($150 for each motor and $100 each window for labor), and this was at a local garage, not the dealer. At least they lasted until the car was 10 years old, though! The windows on my Intrepid all work fine, which is a miracle considering how much I play with the switches, but they do creak a little sometimes when they fully close. It'll be just my luck that one of them fails after the warranty is up ;-)

Anyway, Coach, good luck with whatever car you end up getting! I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope my Intrepid holds up. It's been a great car so far, but I just have an inherent distrust of new cars...I think mainly because they cost so much to fix when they DO break! It's a pain to be paying $300-400 a month or more on a payment, and then have to be shelling out more for repairs on top of that!

-Andre
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    coachditka-

This info is contained in one of the manuals that you should have received with the car! IF I remember correctly, it was a separate booklet from the owner's manual and explains what is covered under the California emissions law and the rest of the country. IF you did not get this booklet, I believe this is against the law.

Ask the dealer if you can see the package of manuals for a new car. If they are taking these manuals out of the package, something is amiss.

I would try contacting the FTC- Federal Trade Commission- http://www.ftc.gov/ for help OR just look at this-
    http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt

Hope this helps.

fastdriver
  • davidudavidu Member Posts: 40
    I'm looking now at my 99 Intrepid Warranty booklet, and was surprised to note that the Federal Emissions warranty is only 24 mos/24,000 miles, although it notes Chrysler covers emissions items til 36 mos/36,000 miles. It's only different in CA, where emmissions items are covered for 36 mos/50,000 miles.

Some "specified components" are covered under the Federal emissions warranty for 8 yrs/80,000 miles, and for the Concorde/300M/LHS/Intrepid those components include only the left/right catalytic convertors, intake manifold assembly
    powertrain control module, and transmission control module.

The EGR valve and control system are listed specifically as items covered only for 2 years/ 24,000 miles under the Federal Emission Warranty.
    davidu-

Thanks for clarifying it. I didn't have my warranty booklets with me when I wrote. I always thought that it was 5/50,000 period. Never really noticed when all these other dates/mileage limits entered the picture.

fastdriver
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    Rotors are covered under warranty.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    That the Intrepid will never see:

http://www.luckyjdr.homestead.com/ls1impala.html

The upcoming 5.7L V-8 powered Impala SS (2003?)
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    Sure not,it will always be better!
  • alvey1alvey1 Member Posts: 8
    I just wanted to let you folks know about a good experience I had with a five star Dodge dealer in Topeka Kansas (Gary Hardy Dodge).
    I have a 99 ES (loaded) and since when new have experienced vibration above 55 mph (similar to out-of-balance tires). Dealer rotated and balanced tires several times. Service manager took an interest since it was being brought in so frequently for same problem. I suspected out-of-round tires. Service manager took car to local company owned Goodyear store - and they replaced two of the tires (out-of-round). Next rotation - vibration back as before. Service manager took car back to Goodyear store - the store said there were two bad rims. Service manager replaced two rims. Problem persisted. I suggested to the service manager that we start with switching tires with another vehicle and work our way upstream if that didn't cure the problem. Manager took car back to the Goodyear store who said tires were within specs. Service manager contacted Goodyear district office and secured four new tires. All is perfect now. LOVE the car!
    alvey1-

That's EXACTLY what MY "5-STAR" dealers SHOULD have done, but didn't! After 10 1/2 months of my 99 300M going LEFT, I dealt with Goodyear DIRECTLY! I got 4 new tires at 11,000 miles- NO CHARGE!

Glad that SOMEONE takes that "5-STAR" designation seriously! Have NO clue how some of them hold on to that rating year after year!

fastdriver
  • alvey1alvey1 Member Posts: 8
    Well, in 1976 I was caught between my Chrysler dealer and the Goodyear folks on a very similar problem. Neith would adjust. Finally, one of the front tires blew on the highway at 70 mph - that got the Goodyear guys' attention.
    I mentioned this to the service manager, and he assured me that he would do everything in his power to see that I was not caught between the two this time. 'Course it is a little remarkable that he went to all the effort when you consider that the tires are warranteed by the tire manufacturer and not by the car maker.
    I didn't mention that this same Dodge service manager was recruited from a Mercedes dealership - guess that says something too.
    This board has been pretty dead lately...what happened? Did everybody trade in their Intrepids or something?

-Andre
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I think we are still getting used to the new system...if you will notice, most topics will show less than 10 "new" posts, some of the same topics that formerly added 15-20 new posts every few days. I do not believe we will lose too many of us.

Also, we just had some ice here in Atlanta, and some SOB hit my parked Intrepid and dented the hood. Since my collision deductible is 500, the repair will probably come in around 485 :)
  • regalluvr1regalluvr1 Member Posts: 53
    The reason its slow is that with the new format its almost impossible to post anywhere unless you keep your message very brief and type at the speed of light.I do neither and half the time my messages wont post anywhere.I had post #540 in here and we ended up getting the wife a 2000 Regal LS with 18,000 miles but a 98-00 Intrepid would have been our second choice with an extended warranty of course.Maybe next time.
    ...glad to see some of y'all are still around. I found out that my great-aunt just bought a new Intrepid. She's in her upper 70's. Funny, I never thought of the Intrepid as an "old lady" car! My apologies to any senior citizens I might have offended.

Her daughter also has a 2000 Intrepid. She bought it a couple weeks after I bought mine, and only has about 8,000 miles on it. She was recently involved in an accident with an SUV and a small car. I don't know all the details, but they had to cut the roof off of the small car, and in the process, dropped it on the Intrepid's otherwise undamaged hood. Her Intrepid is the only one I've ever seen with a bench seat...and that center position looks pretty useless.

Regalluvr, good luck with your new Regal. I've never tried the newer generation Regals, but have been in the similar Olds Intrigue...nice car, but it just seemed cramped to me. I love those old T-types from the 80's...they were fairly new around the time I got my license, and back then a Grand National was my dream car.

Happy holidays, everyone!
    -Andre
  • regalluvr1regalluvr1 Member Posts: 53
    This isnt Intrepid related but I have a 1985 T-Type Regal with the GN turboed engine and also have a 1986 T-Type Regal with the GN turboed and intercooled engine.They are the same car as a GN,just arent black and dont have the GN interior.They are real sleepers on the street.The 86 is way the hottest car as it was rated 235hp at the factory but actually put out 280hp.By spending less than $1,000 I could have 400hp and run in the 12's at nearly 110 mph at the drags.I cant leave a stop light without turning the tires!Go to turbobuick.com to see whats going on.It sounds like your family is deffinitely an Intrepid family.Intrepids are selling real good in this area and our local dealer is lousy!
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Well, I alternately (when they let me) drive my wife's 1999 ES and my daughter's Acura Legend LS. I try to compare them, although they were built 7 years apart. I think that Chrysler must have taken a Legend apart to see how the Japanese did it when they designed the LH cars. The similarities are striking. Similar engine position (north-south, not east-west as in so many FWD cars), 3.2 liter engines, lots of space inside. A big engine filling the compartment, lots of interior space.

When I compare them the Dodge is smoother, quiter (albeit 7 years younger), but less "sporty". however the fully loaded Legend LS (which has no cupholders,by the way) cost $28,000 in 1991, and the ES cost $26,000 in 1999.

Anyway, they are comparable in quality, although the newere Intrepid has less wind noise. My fridnds tell me that the Legend will last 300,000 miles but that the Intrepid is good for 150,000 at best. I intend to find out, as neither one (in the abscence of a crash) will be replaced any time soon.
  • intrigue2intrigue2 Member Posts: 46
    just an observation buddy, it seems like you're saying that a 1999 intrepid is comparable to a 1992 acura legend, more important how does it compare to a 1999 acura legend. comparing a relatively new car to one that's 7 years old doesn't exactly say volumes for chryslers quality vis-a-vis japanese luxury cars.

have you experienced any transmission quirks in the new intrepid, just curious if chrysler has corrected a long standing problem.
  • dickaroodickaroo Member Posts: 2
    WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT THIS IS GREAT.
    REGARDING POST #564
    HELLO I TOO OWN A 99 TREPID WITH 43,000 ON IT NOW WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT I ALSO HAVE THAT ANNOYING VIBRATION,DEALER HAS REPLACED WHEELS,SEVERAL BALANCING JOBS,SEVERAL ROTATIONS, STILL A VIBRATION.DEALER TOLD ME HE WOULD KEEP IT AND GO THRU IT WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB,HE CAME UP WITH WHAT HE THOUGHT IT WAS,AND PUT ON 2 NEW TIE ROD ENDS FREE OF CHARGE GUESS WHAT? STILL VIBRATED.AT 28,000 MILES WE PUT A NEW SET OF TIRES ON IT BECAUSE THE DEALER SAID THEY WERE JUNK WHICH I HAD TO PAY FOR,STILL NOT HAPPY OVER THAT.THE GOOD THING ABOUT THIS IS,WE HAD THE DEALER PUT ON THE SERVICE COMPUTER IF ANY PROBLEMS DOWN THE ROAD AND OUT OF WARRANTY HE WILL FIX IT FREE OF CHARGE,SO I HAVE BEEN ASKING EVERYBODY IF THEY KNOW THE FIX TO THIS.HOPE YOURS IS FIXED FOR GOOD,AND GOOD LUCK.
    I can state that my 1988 Legend was a much better constructed car than my 2000 Intrepid...it only had 165 HP, a lot for its day (the "big" 302 V8 in a Lincoln that year only put out 150 HP), so my Intrepid is faster, but the build quality does not even come close to my Acura.
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    During my Florida vacation that I just came back, I rented 2000 Intrepid at JAX. It had 15K miles on it. I am posting my observations about it.
    It has very strong kick if you floor the pedal. Acceleration from 0 could be better. Unfortunately the car had very bad odor coming from panel but it was going away like 10 minutes after you start driving. Very good on gas, more than 1750 miles I only bought 3.5 or 4 tanks. Very comfortable, no back pain or discomfort. Unlike some others stated, it was not noisy, very decent level of noise level, very nice view, large windshield like my Accord. I will be seriously considering to buy one next December if DC comes up with nice deal.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    A thought buddy...think I"m finally going to make it to the North American International Auto Show this year (every boy has a dream!). It's a reasonably quick flight to Detroit from PA, thought maybe I'd take two days.. Any other takers?
    hey gang,

I think my Intrepid just had its first real problem. The power lock in the driver's door makes a nasty noise when it unlocks, and sometimes the outside door handle won't work.

I took it to Circuit City, where I got the alarm installed, thinking it was something they messed up. But the guy there said that when they installed the alarm, they didn't even touch the door...they tapped into everything they needed to under the dashboard. So it looks like this lock is messing up all by itself without any help from Circuit City!

I'm dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow, and just in time, too! The 36K mile warranty is up in about 800 miles. I have an extended warranty, but it has a $200 deductible.

I'm driving out to Texas next week. I hope the dealer can fix the car by then!

-Andre
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Wanted to share my thoughts on an intrepid that i rented while my intrigue was in the shop(again).
    The intrepid rides better, yet handles about the same. The intrepid appears to corner a little flatter than the intrigue. I think that the intrepids' springs might be a little firmer than the intrigues' but the shocks are softer which gives a better ride over small bumps, that coupled with the intrepids' longer wheelbase contributes to this ride quality. The intrigue handles larger bumps better than the intrepid due to its softer springs.
    The car i drove had the 2.7L engine which was not even in the same league as the intrigues' 3.5L engine. The intrepid had this vibration at idle and a coarseness under accleleration that was not present in the intrigue. The intrepid would shimmy at stoplights which was sort of annoying.
    The intrigue has more front head and legroom, the
    intrepid had much more rear legroom.
    The intrepids black plastic dash was kind of cheap looking and the radio did not work.
    The intrepid actually seemed to be alittle quieter.
    Driving the intrepid it felt big and a little unwieldly at times, especially around turns.
    I have to say that for me the intrigue was the better choice, it just feels more refined, its powertrain is above reproach. Now if i can just get GM to fix the durn thing i will be happy, but i am not holding my breath.
  • rjaimerjaime Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a used '99 Intrepid, base model for 12,495. It has 35K miles on it and was a former rental car down in Florida (according to CarFax). I have it for the weekend and Monday will decide to either return it to the dealer (5 star Chrysler) or keep it. Anything I should be looking for other than the normal used-car stuff? I do a lot of highway driving and want something comfortable that can handle some bad weather (I'm in Maine). I love the size and the style and the price seems kind low for a car that was 20K two years ago. Dealer also has several '00s with 15K to 22K miles on them for 15,800. Whada think??
    get the car if you like it, but just do not use the "5 star" criterion for choosing the dealership...it seems like an important designation, but lots of 5 stars are not any better than the ordinary dealer...kinda like Lake Wobegon...when EVERYBODY is a 5 star (everybody in Lake Wobegone was above average) then 5 star becomes average, but that does nOT make them any better.
    Hey gang,

just got a call from the dealer. It turns out the power lock actuator in my Intrepid has to be replaced. It's still under warranty though, so I guess it's no big deal. I guess that's not too bad, considering that's the first semi-major thing that's broken on the car in the 35K+ miles I've had it!

-Andre
  • phardyphardy Member Posts: 12
    I think I have the same problem (The power lock in the driver's door makes a nasty noise when it unlocks.) I think I first discovered this around 15k miles. Sometimes, the door unlocks, and I hear "screeeeeeeeaaarrrrrreeeeee-ee-eee-eeee!" Sometimes, nothing at all. Any idea what this might be?
  • sztajmessztajmes Member Posts: 1
    After an eleven years and 185K with no problems I decide to sell my Ford Taurus S/W and get Dodge Intrepid. I bought 1998/65K 2.7/ABS for $5800 in Dec 26/2000 and I love it. Finally I have enough room (6-3").Is tooo large for my wife (5-0") but who cares ?? :))
  • tsmusztsmusz Member Posts: 1
    Bought car a week ago w/ 25,000 miles. Yesterday check engine light came on and autotrans stopped shifting. Any history on this prob.? Serious? Blown chip?
    The dealership had to replace the actuator inside the door to fix my problem...but from the way you described it (I had no idea how to even attempt to spell out the noise it was making, but "screeeeeeeeaaarrrrrreeeeee-ee-eee-eeee!" sounds about right ;-)

Anyway, just be careful, because it's possible to lock yourself out of the car. When my lock was acting up, if I opened the door from inside without unlocking it first, (i.e., just pulling the handle, which overrides the lock)...well, it would let me open the door, but wouldn't necessarily override the lock, so if it closed behind me it would be locked. I use the car to deliver pizzas part-time in the evenings, and I had to make sure the window was cracked just in case it locked me out. I don't like turning the car on and off 30 times a night, so I leave it running when I'm at the customers' houses...starters are too easy to burn up and don't come cheap, and the last 3 cars I used to deliver with ('68 Dart, '79 Newport, '89 Gran Fury) all ended up eating progressively more expensive starters.

Good luck with it!
    -Andre
  • spellboundspellbound Member Posts: 77
    Hi folks, my first post here. I am considering purchasing a new Intrepid.(probably an R/T and I wish they made a coupe) I am attracted by the styling, interior room (I am a large guy..read fat) and price as there are usually incentives. I cannot afford to buy a new vehicle very often and this car would be replacing an almost 12 year old Chevy truck (89)which has served me quite well over the years. I now find that I do not nescesarily need a truck if I can find a car with enough room and would prefer to drive something more sporty anyway.

While I admire the styling and innovation on Chrysler,Plymouth,Dodge products I am quite concerned about quality control and long term reliability, especially regarding major failures such as transmissions. I've always been a bit of a GM guy (from back in teenage hotrod days) and believe that while GM products have their own quality control problems such as fit & finish, cheap plastic interiors and rattles their powertrains have been reliable. But now it's 2001 and GM just doesn't offer a car I like at a price point I can afford.

So what have your experiences been with the current body style of Intrepids? What problems are common? Would you buy another? I know no car is perfect but I'd like to hear honest opinions after owning the vehicle for a while.

Thank you
    I have a base 2000 Intrepid that's pushing 39,000 miles, and so far only the power lock actuator in the driver's door has had to be replaced. I had the tranny serviced and new tires put on at 30,000 miles, and that's about it. The front brake pads are getting a little thin...I'm replacing them as soon as we get a warm day here in MD.

I deliver pizzas part time and have taken a few trips, so that's why my mileage is so high.

It's been a good car, but I do have a few complaints. The car has no legroom in the front. I don't care what the statistics say, I need more legroom. Edmunds lists front legroom at 42.2". For comparison, they list the Impala and Taurus at 42.2", even bigger cars like the Crown Vic at 42.5". All I know is that I'm more comfortable in a Crown Vic or Impala, although the Intrepid does beat the Taurus here.

Also, the floorpan is not flat...it slopes upward gently from the center of the car to the door, and this bugs my ankles. And the dead-pedal is useless...much too small for my size 13 foot, and it also bends my foot at an unnatural angle.

I have a base model with manual seats, though, which may make some difference. I sat in a Concorde with power seats, which helps out considerably in the legroom department. I'm also 6'3", and was raised on Galaxies, real Impalas, and Newports, so of course I'm going to feel cramped?

I also just drove back 1450 miles from Houston, so I really don't consider the interior of my car to be the most inviting place right now...I'll calm down later ;-) Oh yeah, my car's bucket seats are not very comfortable to sleep in, either ;-)

Seriously, though, I'd recommend the car. Just try to get one with power seats, though. And keep up on maintenance, especially the transmission.

-Andre
  • cammaccammac Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Intrepid that's been in for repair four times in the past month. The problem? The wipers. They have a mind of their own, and pretty much wipe when they feel like it. So far, they've replaced the wiper motor, CM (the computer thingee - he! I know it's not very descriptive... I'm new! :) remember?), hard wired past the wiring harness and they still do as they please. This time it's been with them for a week. Today when I called, they told me they left messages with Chrysler 5 Star, and their zone area technician. (Neither place called them back). They have admitted their stumped. Has anyone heard of this? I really don't know what to do. If this would be my only problem, I'd probably be okay. But it's not. This car has been in at least a dozen times since I got it. It has only 32,000 miles. Help!
  • fuzzer34fuzzer34 Member Posts: 28
    I've seen this before...not with an Intrepid but with a Ford Taurus. The wiper motor on/off relay was going bad, so I replaced it and volia, FIXED!

Did your dealer try this? On the Intrepid it could be this or the BCM(body control module), most likely it's the relay, your car has 2. The relays(hi/low&on/off) are located in the PDC(power distrib center) under the hood by the motor. Maybe this will help'em. :)
  • cammaccammac Member Posts: 2
    Fuzzer34, Thanks for the information. They did replace the BCM (apparently I need to proof read better, as I let the "B" out of BCM in my message). I'll ask them about the PDC tomorrow, when I make my zillionith call. As of right now, they're still waiting for Five Star and their zone technician to return Monday's calls. Being this is my first Chrysler product, I must say it's been disappointing. :( Oh well, it could be worse! :)
  • fuzzer34fuzzer34 Member Posts: 28
    Sometimes you get a car that needs a little attention from the dealer sometimes you don't. My R/T is also my first Chrysler product. I bought on recommendation as my sister has had 4 different Chrysler minivans, all giving her good service. I had bought a new '84 ford ranger right off the lot and 50 miles later the fuel pump went. Back then the pumps were mechanical, and this problem crops up as a fuel pump seal goes if they sit to long on the lot. He wanted me to wait 2 weeks, I said "NO!, take a good pump off one of your lot vehicles." They towed it and I was on my way within an hour. But it was a little disheartening as the truck was 1 day old.
    Might want to check out another dealer as some 5-stars shouldn't be... :)
  • captainkennycaptainkenny Member Posts: 3
    Hi Spellbound. I also am a formed GM guy. My first Dodge was a Stratus 2.4 litre. I just sold it at 100,00km and found later that it needed a head gasket (apparantly common on stratus) and the water pump was starting to go. Being the nice guy that I am I helped the new owner with half the cost(860.00). Other than that I loved it. Long trips were easy but it ended up being a little small as my family grew. I agree with you about the new GM's though. They dont have anything that is remotely as good looking as the Intrepid (especially the RT which I now own) or as well featured and roomy. My Dad is such a huge Oldsmobile fan that its ridiculous. He has a 1996 loaded Olds that he paid more for 6 years ago then I paid for my RT last month.He is also very maintenance minded as I am. So far he has had a new transmission ($3000 Cdn.) and now some kind of leak from his cooling system which nearly contaminated his whole engine ($1000.00). Really nice thing for such a supposed reliable car like an Oldsmobile. All of this came off warranty, of course, and being that he is a Baptist Minister and doesn't make a lot of money it kind of upsets me. Well, I can tell you that I really enjoy my RT. It reminds me a lot of how I felt when I bought my 1985 IROC Z-28 but this car has twice the room, 4 times the reliability and I can carry my wife and 2 girls around with tons of room. I'm not a big "Consumers Report" fan but my very analytical neighbour lives by that darn magazine and even he has to admit that the Intrepid is getting better every year. It doesnt make the top ten in Motor Trend for about 4 years in a row for nothing. Hmmmmmmmmmmm I don't see any BonnieVille's in there?
    If you want it for resale value look to a Honda but you'll pay 6 grand more in the first place. If you plan to keep it, buy an Intrepid. In Canada they now have a 100,000 km power train warranty. I sure wish my Dad had it.

Kent K
  • trb1trb1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am considering the purchase of a Dodge Intrepid SE (list 20,910 plus dest.) or ES (list 22,605 + dest). I will be purchasing through the "Chrsyler Friends Program," which is supposed to mean that I get 2% below factory invoice plus the current 1,000 rebate. This certificate was given to me by a Chrsyler retiree and expires in three days (1/31). I have a couple of questions about pricing:

1. Dealers' invoices seem to differ from those on Edmunds because they add 200-300 dollars for "advertising fees, etc." I've been told by dealers that this charge is imposed on them by Chrsyler and that it's non-negotiable. Is this a fair charge by the dealer or a way to pad the price?
    2. What is a "fair" price for the Dodge Intrepid? Are people typically paying 300-400 above factory invoice or getting invoice deals (not counting the 1,000 rebate)?
    3. Am I doing as good as I can do with my "Friends" certificate, or could I get just as good a price through hard bargaining?

Information will be greatly appreciated. Unless the rebate is extended, I think it expires tomorrow (1/29).
    Well I went out and actually test drove an Intrepid RT yesterday. It's very difficult to evaluate a car on a short test drive but here's my quick take.

Positives...
    I am a quite large person (read fat) and found I can fit confortably. The interior room for this sized car is enourmous. The trunk as well.

The steering was nice and quick and the suspension was taught (sp?) and the car felt quite sporty for a sedan of this size. If felt solid and a bit stiff (a good thing in my mind).

Power seemed good although perhaps not quite as much as I expected.

Negatives...

Typical american plasticy interior. Guages looked cheap.

Engine noise was more than expected especially under acceleration and sounded tinny rather than throughty and powerful. To me anyway.

The biggest negative is perhaps in my mind. I am not one who can afford to buy a new car every few years and I don't like the idea of leasing so quality control and long term reliability is very important to me. Chrysler,Plymouth,Dodge doesn't have a good reputation in this regard and that worries me. Regardless of warranties, I don't want to have many problems and don't want to be a service dept. regular. Of course these cars may be better now and the one I drove seemed solid enough without any rattles or squeeks but it does nag at me.

Still, if I do decide on an american car, this one is right at the top. As much as I've been a GM person their sedans aren't that attractive to me and the Intrepid seems a good value.
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I have a 2000 Intrepid (base, or now SE) that has been a wonderful car, after 14K miles. I have been very pleasantly surprised with the mileage, averaging 18-19 in city driving, 23 in mixed (mostly highway), and an astonishing (but true, I assure you) 30 mpg on trips east as well as west over the Rockies. The western trip was with two adults and light luggage. Power is sufficient with the 2.7l engine, the car is extremely comfortable, and the ride is better than anything else in it's class. On top of that, the handling is great. I took the Wyoming Scenic Byway east out of Yellowstone, with a lot of switchbacks, etc. The car was great, including the big discs hauling it down to a stop without any fade. It is a wonderful car.

Oh, by the way, in the first 14K miles, NOTHING has gone wrong, something I cannot say about my wife's 98 Malibu, or my earlier 95 VW.

In the midwest, the rebates are large, so the car is a real bargain.
  • davos2davos2 Member Posts: 4
    I've put 15,000 miles on my 2000 ES (3.2L) with no problems to report. See you next year!
    The rebates on Intrepid's are high and make it very attractive considering it's size and features. I read all of the reports about the Malibu, geez what a disaster GM put out. I am strongly considering a VW Passat wagon but it's high cost and short warranty (other than powertrain) cause me some anxiety.

I guess you take your chances with any vehicle these days in regards to whether you get a lemon or not.

One good thing about the Intrepid is that I can easily rent one to try it out for a week. It's amazing that we make such huge decisions on cars based on a short test drive.

I absolutly love the front end styling on the Chrysler Concord (but not the rear). I wish i could order an Intrepid R/T with the Concord's front end:)
  • john1726john1726 Member Posts: 37
    When you purchase a Chrysler product through one of the "employee" or "friends" programs, you are actually paying under invoice. The price that you will pay is marked on every dealer invoice. Near the bottom of the invoice, you will see the letters I I with a price next to it. that is the purchase price before the rebate. 90% of the time, you can not get a better deal than that unless the car has been sitting around the dealers lot for a year or so.
  • john1726john1726 Member Posts: 37
    the letters near the bottom of the invoice are EP
  • hendoggdhendoggd Member Posts: 1
    2 do, or not 2 do..... I am newer than the other guy. I just bought a 2k Intrepid ES. Nice car. Looks great. I want to make it look even sportier. I am seriously contemplating lowering this car 1 1/2 to 2". Any thoughts? I am fully aware that this is a BIG car, so going to low is a bad thing. We are not dealing with a Honda Civic's wheel base here. I just want to do it right.
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    Does anyone know if the 3.3 engine has a belt or a chain? I have had a mechanic tell me its a chain, but I've read other peoples posts that stated their belt broke............
    Ken126...
    I'm pretty sure the 3.3 uses a chain. It's a relatively simple OHV engine that was carried over from the minivans and the Dodge Dynasty/Chrysler New Yorker. I believe the 3.8 minivan engine is also derived from this same block. I could be wrong, though.

hendoggd...
    I think the Intrepid is low enough! My 2000 is already about to lose the plastic stone shield up front, from scraping curbs, speed bumps, etc. Lower if you want, but it only means you'll hit more things!

-Andre