Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• djpilldjpill Member Posts: 4
    I just put down a deposit for a new 2001 Silver Intrepid R/T. :-D

I have that wonderful date with the Finance Manager tomorrow evening. Do you guys think I should get the extended warranty, and how much would you pay for it? Do any of you regret not getting the warranty?

I heard that you can usually get an extended warranty towards the end of the warranty period. Is that true? Let me know... post replies here. I only have a day to check as my appointment is tomorrow, but ill check before i leave for my 7PM appointment.

Thanks a mil!

DjPiLL
    '01 R/T
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Well well.... and my horoscope said that I'd reconnect with an old friend. How are you buddy? Despite your obviously disturbed choice to go "Ford", I miss your presence around these parts. Seems that our more neurotic buddies have grown silent, or sought help elsewhere. Couple thoughts on your post, in no particular order.
    The 2002 Ram is infinitely better in person. The display used in NYC was the same used in Detroit--in a word--IMPRESSIVE. Frankly, I wouldn't be too concerned about the 4.7 as compared to the 5.7. OF COURSE the 5.7 will be superior, but I've driven the the 4.7 in numerous applications and it "rocks". Perhaps you may recall Car and Driver testing a loaded Durango with the 4.7 a year or two ago when it first became available. The instrumented tests indicated that it was within tenths of a second of the old 5.9. In my humble opinion the Quad Cab 5.7's will be tough to come by.
    My Trep is soldiering along well--she spent two months in the body shop. Perhaps you saw my post about the accident. $10,500 worth of damage from a "T-bone" type collision. No injuries, just an inattentive grandma with no business being inattentive--STOP SIGNS are like that you know--all camoflauged and low to the ground and difficult to see and such.
    Giving the new paint some time to cure before doing a much needed "Zaino-ing" of the Trep. Most significant issue from the accident is a persistent creak/groan from the dash which WAS NOT present prior. Luckily this body shop seem very responsive and will look into it. Other than that the occasional speaker noise and "incredible shrinking weatherstripping" are the only problems. By the way...did you ever replace the Eagle GA's on your Treps--or did you never keep them that long.
    I will make a confession. I keep seeing advertisements for that SuperCrew with the brown leather interior....SWEET! Almost makes me wish......
  • fit2btidefit2btide Member Posts: 5
    Anyone want to estimate what best price I should get on a 2001 silver ES with the 2M package and sunroof? Is the Edmunds TMV pretty accurate? Or shoudl I get it at invoice minus whatever incentive is available?
  • eeeleeel Member Posts: 57
    typical intrepid problems ??? - i purchased a 95 new in 95 - 50k - no problems at all - NONE -
    dropped it off for an oil cahnge - wife fell in love with a new 98 - took it home - just out of warranty - 3 yrs - nothing but normal service - so 6.5 years - nothing but routine maintenance - we also purcahsed a 93 eagle vision (new) - 135k - great car -no major repairs until after my wife had an accident (7k damage on frontend) - and these repairs were related to the accident (tie rods / trailing links) - you also be pleased to know one of my customers (i'm a software designer) uses a fleet of intrepids for their sales force - after 4years - the intrepid was the
    cheapest line of cars they've ever purchased - i.e the least in maintenace/service costs etc. - have another client with the same results with dodge trucks - both of these companies now buy chrysler/dodge products only - and dave alot of money doing it
    if you have the 2.7 - they use a chain !!! - the 3.2 uses a belt - so at 60k i'd change the belt on the 3.2 - the 2.7 - not necessary
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    jason,

glad to hear the trep is soldering on mostly unabated! as for tires, i don't know what to tell ya. never had to replace the tires on any of my treps. just stay away from the badyear gas.

the s-crew commercial you are seeing is for the king ranch edition. that particular model has what i'd call old world look and feel leather. i actually prefer the lariat's more modern looking leather. anyway, i have neither. my xlt sports cloth. at the time i was shopping the s-crew, ford's leather felt and looked chintsy. right after i bought my truck, they changed the seat design and leather so that it now looks nice and luxurious. oh well! i'll definitely check out the 02' ram this fall. but, i'm still concerned that the 4.7l won't have the low end ummmph my 5.4l s-crew does. and i really don't want the old 5.9l, even though it is a decent engine. i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

btw, did your wife ever trade in her mitsu? i know awhile back you mentioned she was interested in the pt cruiser. whatever become of that?
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Emale--Howdy! I like the smooth leather in my Trep and my wife's Diamante'.. However, I've always been partial to the more "rough-hewn" brown leather look--like in the King Ranch edition. Have a briefcase and jacket like that.. Oh well, I stop short of whips..
    I think you'd do well to check out the new Ram--nothing reveals like a test drive. Truly is a looker! I assume you've logged in at the Dodge Web site to receive info? RE: my wife's Diamante'. Her love affair with the PT Cruiser was brief--she still likes them, but I think she will end up in another Diamante'. We drove an XG300L--quite impressive for the price, a 300M (loves it but hates the cost), and the new Diamante' is an adequate performer and can be had for "cheap". I'll take the 300M but it's her call. We'll see I guess..
    EEEL--Thanks for reminding some of our members that many of the "typical Intrepid problems" are owner overstatement and heresay...
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    good to hear that you've had good luck with your Intrepids. The only 2 people that I know personally who own LH cars (both '94 Concordes), still have them, and they're getting up there in mileage. This one lady at work has a 3.3, and I think she's over the 100K mark. Also have another friend with a '94 3.5, and I want to say he's around there, too. Both are on their original engine/tranny, and while both haven't exactly been poster children for reliability, they haven't traded them yet, so they must be doing something right.

Actually, I almost forgot, but this lady I used to work with has a '94 (or '95) Eagle Vision. I think it's in the 70-80K range. 3.3 engine.

And I've been happy with my '00. 44,500 miles in about 18 months, and no major problems yet!

-Andre

ps: the 2.7 has a chain?? That surprises me, because I figured with it being DOHC that it would be too complicated for a chain.
    don't forget to mention dealership misdiagnosis. as an example, many of the 42le trannies that have been replaced need not have been. chrysler tech told me that often times fairly minor things like the solenoid pack or speed range sensors need replacing, not entire unit! unfortunately it seems it's only been in the past few years that service departments have wised up, if you will.
    andre,

it's true, the 2.7l cams are chain driven. the 3.2l and 3.5l cams are belt driven. and if i remember right, chrysler recommends changing the belts around 100k miles, but that seems a little long on the tooth to me.
    yes it does have a chain - its in the manual - which makes this (2.7) even cheaper to run - i've heard some horror stories after people had their timing belts changed - the 3.3 in the vision also has a chain in place of a belt
    eeel,

the only horror stories i've heard or read about concerning the trep timing belts was that early 3.5l v/6s in the first generation treps had a problem with the water pumps prematurely failing, which could cause the timing belt to break. luckily the first generation 3.5l was a free wheeling engine and therefore no damage was done to the engine if the belt failed. the new generation 3.2l and 3.5l are no longer free wheeling designs. however, the water pump problems were fixed. still a good idea to change that belt on time or slightly before the recommendation, imo. i've read too many stories about honda owners not changing their belts, and ending up with a big repair bill.
    that let it go too long. Snap! $3,000 in engine damages.

My friend with the '94 Concorde 3.5...I know he's replaced his water pump, but I think he just did it as a precaution when he changed the timing belt.

And now, just another question about my 2.7...if it has a chain, should I still have it replaced at 105,000 miles? I think that's what the owners manual says.

I know that just because a car has a chain doesn't mean it's maintenance-free. We used to have a neighbor who was a real Chevyhead, and he suggested that you chould change the chain in a Chevy smallblock about once every 120K miles. He told me this when I was thinking about buying an old '72 Impala 'vert, so maybe that just applied to that time frame.

-Andre
  • fluidfluid Member Posts: 5
    Remember that the 3.3 engine was a cam-in-block engine rather than an OHC engine, so its timing chain is in the block. Chains do wear and stretch, effectively retarding the cam timing as they age. The 2.7 DOHC engine actually has three cam chains, versus the single belt in the 3.3/3.5 engines.
    ...as to how much it's going to cost when it's time to do the timing chain replacement on my 2.7?

I know 105,000 miles seems a lifetime away, but at the rate I'm going, I'll be there in about 2 years!

As for the old 3.3, wasn't that the same old overhead valve engine that went into minivans and the old C-body Dynasty/New Yorker/New Yorker Salon? I think those were pretty durable, if unexciting engines.

-Andre
    for what it's worth - i haven't replaced the chain on 3.3 93 vision - both my mechanic and the dodge dealer told me it's not nec. - told me the same for the 2.7 - both of them -
    I'll have to re-check my owner's manual, but I'm almost positive it said to change it at 105,000. I think it also said "belt" too, though.

I know one thing, I probably won't be able to trust my dealership to give me a straight answer. They wanted to do a "30K mile" service on the thing, which included changing the belts, hoses, antifreeze, spark plugs, tranny service, and, get this, lube the suspension! I did do the tranny service at my local mechanic, because of all the stop-and-go driving I did (plus, I hit 30K miles in just under a year!)

-Andre
    andre,

so much for 100k plugs, eh?
  • tbachmantbachman Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    My husband and I looked at a 1997 Intrepid ES today, and he fell in love. We put a deposit on it, and might close the deal in a couple days. It's a beautiful car -- only 34K miles, leather, CD/tape, power seats and everything else -- and the price is very nice. But as always, I'm nervous... I've been reading some reviews and posts to this board, and I have a couple questions, for anyone who owns one of these cars:

1) gas mileage -- My husband (who would be the primary driver) drives 30 miles one-way to work, so that's about 250-300 miles a week. What kind of mileage can we expect? (He stays mainly on interstate highsway, but often stop-and-go with city traffic.)

2) I've read about transmission and a/c problems on earlier model years -- Has anyone had these problems with the '97 model?

3) With the driving I mentioned above, we're estimating that the car will break 100K miles before we pay it off. Any opinions on whether it'll still be a decent car at 100K? (He's currently driving a 10-year-old Toyota with almost 200K on it -- still running well, just starting to fall apart on the outside.)

Thanks for you help and opinions!
  • abbanatabbanat Member Posts: 57
    I own a '96 Intrepid ES configured the same way except without leather. We are approaching 80k miles. Here's what has gone wrong with our car:

1.) Transmission failure at 60k miles. New transmission at $2000.

2.) Replaced tie rod bushings because the steering was really loose. Not an expensive repair (~ $150) but many mechanics will tell you that you need a new steering rack at over $1000.

3.) I am now having problems with my radio, I think the antenna plug to the back of my radio is loose so my reception keeps popping in and out, but my CD player always works.

4.) O2 sensor malfunction (and subsequent "check engine" light). Not an expensive repair, but not trivial either.

I have not had to replace my water pump nor have I had any air conditioning problems. A few rattles here and there but overall I am quite pleased with the vehicle, especially the power, handling and comfort. I spent the last week driving a '97 Dodge Stratus ES and I was grateful to be back into my Intrepid. We use it to tow a good sized tent trailer and installed a large auxiliary transmission cooler. You may want to consider doing the same even if you don't tow.
    Expect about 21-22 mpg in mixed driving, less if mostly city and you can get up to 26-27 mpg on the highway. Good luck, it is a nice, comfortable car, except driver's leg room is somewhat lacking.
    ...funny you'd mention legroom being lacking, because that's exactly my biggest complaint about my 2000 Intrepid! On the few times I've ridden in my car as a passenger, though, I think it's even worse on that side!

I don't remember how the '93-97 Intrepid was, but on the '98-00, the footwell on the passenger side only extends as far forward as the dead pedal on the driver's side.

I think it's kinda funny that they tout "cab forward" styling and space efficiency and yadda-yadda-yadda, but I swear my Intrepid has less legroom than either my '89 Gran Fury or even my '68 Dart! Don't get me wrong, overall I'm still happy with the car.

I have noticed though, that I'm more comfortable in LH cars with a power driver's seat. I'm guessing your '96 has power, if it's an ES. So it's still a little tight, even with the seat adjusted all the way back?

-Andre
    Yeah, the dead pedal is all the legroom I get in the '96 ES. In contrast, the Stratus I used to own (my parents now own it) and which I drove this past week, has tons of legroom behind the brake, so when I squeeze my foot behind it, I can stretch my leg all the way. Very helpful on a long drive like the one I just did from Sac to LA and back. I do have the power driver's seat and legroom is okay if I push the seat all the way back, but then my arms are too far from the steering wheel. Oh well. My favorite solution is to tilt the front of the seat up, so that lifts my legs, provides lower thigh support and let's me stretch my legs a little bit. Without the power seat I would be in trouble. I don't really have very long legs (long torso and headroom is usually the problem) but you're right on about the cab forward design. I think the back seat passengers get better treatment than those in front! I had a hell of a time trying to find a place to install my electronic brake controller (We tow a popup) that didn't scrape up against my legs. Great car, though...when everything is working properly.

Andre, what type of mixed driving fuel economy do you get with your 2.7? Was telling my wife that after we get a minivan I may want a second car that gets better fuel economy than the Intrepid and it will be pretty high up there in mileage by that time as well. If the 2.7 gets decent fuel economy I may consider it, but if not, then we will probably look at a 4-cylinder Accord, 4-cylinder Saturn L series, or maybe the new Jetta wagon. Also, how are the front seats in the 2.7? You mentioned you had the base model, correct?
    yeah, I have the base model with the 2.7. The front seats aren't bad, but I just wish there was more legroom. I'm 6'3", and a diproportionate amount of that is in my legs, so to me legroom is critical.

Normally, in a car with power seats, I'll put the seat back as far as it will go, raise the front, and drop the back, which gives a bit better thigh support. Still, even though my car doesn't have power seats, they're pretty comfortable. I drove almost non-stop from DC to Houston back in January, and my rear-end wasn't hurting THAT bad! In comparison, the Malibu rental car I had down in Florida a few weeks ago hurt my butt after about 20 minutes.

As for mileage, I've gotten anywhere from just under 20 mpg to just over 30 mpg. I used to deliver pizzas though, which probably skewed the city #'s down. Last time I filled up, I think I got about 23 mpg to the tank, which was mainly driving to and from work, getting stuck in traffic on the DC Beltway, and just goofing around in general.

I think it gets great mileage, but then I would...my previous daily driver, my '89 Gran Fury, only got about 13 mpg, and would just break 20 on a trip.

It hasn't been a perfect car, but considering that for over a year I was racking up about 350 miles a week just delivering pizzas, I'd say it's proven to be a pretty tough car. I'm about to hit 45,000 miles, in just over 18 months of ownership.

I'd recommend the car, but if I had to do it over again, I'd get one with a power driver's seat!

-Andre
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    The Intrepid was the top placing North American car in the J.D Powers Quality survey. It placed 14 with 99 defects per 100 cars. The LHS placed 15 with 101 defects per 100 cars. Then the Concorde was 27 with 111 defects per 100 cars .Last was the 300 M way down in 92 place with 149 defects per 100 cars. Very strange the gap between the cars as they are all built on the same line, by the same people. Makes you wonder how accurate this stuff is.
  • mmackenzie1mmackenzie1 Member Posts: 13
    with my 93 intrepid es. Now has a mind of its own. Typically blows hot air through defrost vents, even if I set the temp at 60. Typical problem? Can it be fixed?
  • wilsoncj6wilsoncj6 Member Posts: 10
    I had a 96 intrepid as and loved it, but with baby #3 on the way had to get a, I hate to say it, mini van! we went and bought a 97 ply mouth grand voyager as with the 3.3 that I had in my intrepid. after a test drive I was hooked! already took it to florid and had a MUCH better drive than when we used to drive the intrepid. but I do miss her a little!!! i had her for 2 1/2 years and the only prob i ever had was when the a/c belt broke. i read about tranny probs in this discussion and the chrysler van discussion, and i have a question. do i have the same tranny in both vehicles? i hope so because i have nothing but love for the intrepid tranny! thanks!
    i had a 96 intrepid es and loved it, but with baby #3 on the way had to get a, i hate to say it, minivan! we went and bought a 97 plymouth grand voyager es with the 3.3 that i had in my intrepid. after a test drive i was hooked! already took it to florida and had a MUCH better drive than when we used to drive the intrepid. but i do miss her a little!!! i had her for 2 1/2 years and the only prob i ever had was when the a/c belt broke. i read about tranny probs in this discussion and the chrysler van discussion, and i have a question. do i have the same tranny in both vehicles? i hope so because i have nothing but love for the intrepid tranny! thanks!
    i had to repost that last one after not reading the spell check instructions!
    yep,

the tranny in the minivan is basically the same as the one in the intrepid, except for the differential parts/logitudinal vs transverse layout. the diff in the intrepid is much more durable than the one in the minivan. however, in late 99 or 2000 the differential in the minivan was significantly upgraded. this all according to my chrysler service tech friend.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    The info I saw had the Intrepid 2nd only to the Toyota Avalon in it's "class", with the Concorde first in it's class.

All being said, evidence suggests the LH sedans are probably not only Chrysler's best design, but also their best built platform. Add the fact they are putting huge rebates on them to sell, it is a very wise choice.

Congrats on a good job at the factory.
    ...maybe they could use it as the basis for some other new designs. They could base an SUV off of it, like how Lexus did with the Toyota Camry.

I know station wagons are all but dead, but Chrysler could build a wagon off of it to compete with the Taurus. Chrysler led the charge to reasonably sized yet roomy wagons back in the 70's with the Aspen and Volare.

I'd also like to see an LH coupe/convertible, but I know that's too much to hope for! Most people would probably think that an LH 'vert would be too big, but to me that's the way a convertible should be...big, stylish, and roomy enough to carry more than just you and one friend in comfort!

The Sebring is a good try, and one of the roomiest convertibles out there (heck, if I had the money I'd trade the Intrepid on one now that they use Chrysler V-6's), but I'd just prefer something bigger.

-Andre
    I have heard that a rag top version of the 300N will be made for 2004 model. This is not 100% official , just what has been told to me by people in the know at the plant.. Lets hope it is 100 % true.
    It seems the American segment that is embracing wagons have a limit to the size of wagon that interests them. For example, from my observations, wagons like the Passat, the Saturn L, the Outback, A6, etc were all well-proportioned good looking vehicles. In contrast, public perception of the largest wagon, the Ford Taurus, has deteriorated. People equate the Taurus with old-style station wagons as opposed to a Passat that is considered hip and edgy. I'm not exactly sure why but I can use my wife as a perfect example: she would absolutely love to have a Passat wagon or Outback, but will have nothing to do with a Taurus wagon. I think an LH wagon would suffer the same fate as the Taurus wagon because the LH platform is so big and wide. I would personally like to see one, and think it could be attractive based on the current generation LH vehicles, I just don't think the public would respond. I think a wagon based on the new Stratus/Sebring platform might appeal to more people: Small, chunky (in wagon form), attractive, sporty, and roomy. All-wheel drive would also increase its appeal. Contrary to what many believe, I think people in California buy 4wd SUVs, light-trucks, and wagons (like the A4, A6, Outback, GC, T&C) to avoid chain controls on their once-a-year trip to the Sierras than for any other reason. This may explain the popularity of the Outback in California. I don't know what it is about wagons....far too many people think they're uncool. The next generation will probably despise SUVs as much as the current does station wagons.
  • 300m_vt300m_vt Member Posts: 32
    on our way to a Montreal vs. Mets ball game last night was passed by a CHRYSLER Intrepid. (the badges on the side and rear said Chrysler NOT Dodge). Has anyone else seen these, what's different if anything other than badges. By the way Mets won 4-2. This was observed in Canada...Route 20
    I think we may have had this discussion before, but I can't remember any more, so here's what I know (or think I know) about 'em.

I don't think the names "Dodge" and "Plymouth" were ever marketed much outside of the United States, so the simply the name "Chrysler" was often put on their cars. I used to know a guy who owned a 1966 or so Chrysler Valiant. It was a '66 Dart with a Valiant front-end, and a Chrysler badge.

I've also seen pictures of a 1963 or '64 Canadian Chrysler with the badge "Saratoga" on the side, which I thought would be impossible, since the Saratoga was discontinued here after 1960, in a move to distance Chrysler from the more upscale Imperial.

So, Canadian Mopar offerings have always been a little different from U.S. offerings. In fact, my stepfather's uncle had a 1941 Canadian DeSoto, whichb was just a Plymouth with a DeSoto grille. I think it may have been called a Diplomat...I know that name was used in export markets for years.

So, the Intrepid is just marketed in Canada as a Chrysler instead of a Dodge. But it makes me wonder...can you get a Concorde in Canada, too?

-Andre
  • 300m_vt300m_vt Member Posts: 32
    Thanks, I'll keep my eyes peeled next time I'm in Canada for a Concorde and report back.
  • dmceresidmceresi Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1995 Dodge Intrepid 3.5L V6, and I am looking for faster acceleration. I was wondering if there are any aftermarket performance upgrades available that are not too expensive. I do not want nitrous, as I have heard too many bad stories.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Yes all Intrepids are baged Chryslers in Canada. Why? good question ,as we can get a Dodge or Chrysler minivan,a Dodge Neon ,a Dodge Stratus ,a Dodge Ram and Dakota and a Dodge Viper . To me this is dumb marketing. Yes you can get a Concorde in Canada,and a 300M and LHS . Did you know all LH cars are built in Canada? The funniest thing to see is a Intrepid R/T baged as a Chrysler R/T ,just does not sound or look right. Dodge R/T now thats more like it .
    see if you can find a picture of the chrysler citadel - i think that's what it's called and i think it is still scheduled for production - it's a beauty - was at the auto shows
    i think the citadel is based on the minivan platform?
    i thought i read it was based on the lh platform - i'll try and look at past magazines and see.
    eeel,

check out this cut and paste from allpar.com. the original citadel may have been based on the lh platform, but it appears that the production version will be built on the minivan platform.

"The new vehicle, code-named CS, uses design cues from the Chrysler Citadel concept car, but is built on the Grand Caravan platform and in the Grand Caravan plant. It is powered by the 3.5 liter V6, and will reportedly be available with both front and all wheel drive. Prices are set in the mid to upper $30,000 range."
    thanks- i knew we'd figure it out - sharp looking wagon - upper 30's - don't know if people will pay that for a mopar - what do you think
    don't have the slightest clue how popular it would be, but not something i'd likely look at for purchase anyway.
    ...I know I wouldn't pay it, but the way inflation is going, I guess we'll get there, eventually!

I remember looking at a fully loaded Intrepid ES in the showroom for the first time...must've been around 93-94. I was shocked that the thing had a $25K window sticker. I was thinking "25K for a Dodge...what's the world coming to!"

Buick is another one that I've noticed has really crept up there. When I was a kid, my grandparents bought a brand new '85 LeSabre, just about fully loaded, for $16,200. Nowadays, I've seen LeSabres with $30K stickers, and Park Avenues pushing $40K!

I don't think I've caught up with the times yet, because to me $30-40K is Cadillac territory! So until Chrysler slaps an Imperial badge on something (and something worthwhile, this time!), I don't think it should be in that range! (But then, isn't Cadillac territory more like $50K+ by now?)

-Andre
    i know what you mean about the prices but - i've bought 3 lh cars new (93 vision/95 & 98 intrepid)
    and got them much cheaper than priced. the 93 vision listed at 20k - got it for 16.5k
    95 intrepid 19k - got it for 17.2 - the 98 intrepid was 21k - paid 19.1 and i think i may have been able to do better on the 2 dodges (not the eagle - that was the best deal i've gotten on a new car) but actually i was quite happy with the prices. i guess my point is you can most always get them at a lower price. still have the eagle by the way - still running strong at 135k
  • temprontempron Member Posts: 8
    I have not checked in for a couple of months. My black 2001 Intrepid ES is just perfect. No problems whatsoever. This car is slowly improving the overall quality of my life not only because I love it so much, but also how little it cost! I am a guy who spent too many years paying big bucks for status cars. For those that may be considering a purchase, if my reports seem to good to be true feel free to mail me.
  • erict3erict3 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1999 Intrepid ES with 60,000 mi.
    Paid 13,500. I love the way the car drives and handles. Gas milage 23 a gal.

Any advice would be helpful
  • intrepid95mlintrepid95ml Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Intrepid seems to have all the usual Intrepid symptoms at 75,000 miles

- Transmission use to not switch gears smoothly, now it is stuck in first gear. I called the dealler and he says that the computer puts it in safe mode when something is wrong with the tranny. Dealler says could be a lot of different things. I have seen some web sights and they have a number of things to try. Meanwhile, the mechanic wants 1800 to rebuild it, but I read here that it should cost 2,000 for a new one.

- Before the transmission problem, the car was pulling back when driving on the highway.

- My Water pump and timming belt went about a month ago (they charged me $1,000 for it.)

- The rear tires are wearing on the inside, they seem to go out of allignment easily (happened to a friend of mine as well.)

Read other notes in this stream for ideas
    I have a '96 Intrepid ES 3.5 liter.

-$1,000 for timing belt and water pump seems really high. I had my timing belt replaced for around $200-$250 and I know the water pump is not an expensive part.

-I just had my tires rotated, have been doing that every 5,000 miles. My tire center says to rotate them every 3,000 miles. They seemed to mention something about uneven wear. I have the service contract with my tires (free rotations)so they had no incentive to lie to me on that one. It may help your tires wear better.

-My transmission went out at 65k miles. Sounds like yours is in limp-home mode. My mechanic told me it could be several things as well, but couldn't find out until they looked at it. Apparently I needed a rebuild, and it cost me over $2k. If you do rebuild it, try installing an auxiliary transmission cooler to further protect it. That is, if you plan to keep the car for any length of time.

Good luck!