Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• mikidmikid Member Posts: 15
    hi:

want to know if anyone knows anything about the new 2002 avalons, and will the difference be major or minimal? and as far as pricing goes will it be near the same?

miki
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    None but price. That went down.
  • ltd2ltd2 Member Posts: 14
    Lstclaas:
    thanks a lot for your info, which is very
    helpful.
  • j_walkerj_walker Member Posts: 99
    As previously stated by cliffy1, the price was lowered for the options but the base price is the same. Also, a (rear) spoiler is an option.
  • jhpwjhpw Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just wonder if there is a good place (web) to get the parts
    for avalon? I need to replace the cover of the rear left light.
    The price I got from the local dealer is US$153!
    Cheers, Proty
  • toledo19toledo19 Member Posts: 119
    If you're experiencing paint chipping, you've most likely encountered gravel or other objects on the highway. NO auto manufacturer will cover this under warranty. I have not encountered any "bottoming out" as you describe. And ,please use your spell check! It's "scraping", not "scrapping".
    hi:

just thought it was kinda silly to mention that. i saw your post on 979 and you forgot a space between your words,(off,on), lets just get back to posting about the avalon, some things aren't that important, don't you think?

have an SUV want to buy the avalon, excuse me, Avalon, the sludge problem that i have seen posted from time to time, what is the real problem with that?
    miki
  • jimcarrjimcarr Member Posts: 37
    I am on my second Avalon having had a 98 before buying a 2K and never has there been any sign of a problem with anything, much less the "so called sludge" problem.

Apparently, this ruckus was started by some disgruntled woman who didn't like Avalons and it picked up steam from some other people. Nobody offered any concrete proof that such a problem existed. My opinion is that it is just a sour grapes issue with no merit.

How's my spelling?
  • marshal1marshal1 Member Posts: 68
    I posted this message on the sludge board last week.

Don't believe everything you read! by marshal1 Aug 02, 2001 (09:00 am)
    I just want to remind everyone that we're on the internet. It's basically the wild, wild west of the printed word. Anything and everything gets posted. Including fact, fiction, opinion, propaganda, delusions, distortions, etc. You must research and verify what you read before you accept it as fact. This message board is one of the worst I have seen for inaccurate information being accepted as gospel. P.T. Barnum once said that there is a sucker born every minute. On the internet, there is a sucker logging in every second.

As for sludge in Toyota engines, there is absolutely no proof that it occurs in Toyota engines with any more frequency than it occurs in any other manufacturer. If you change your oil regularly, every 3-5K, you won't have a sludge problem. However, there are always a small share of lemons out there whose engines may be defective. Based on Toyotas history, I would venture to say that their ratio of lemons is much smaller than most other manufacturers.
    I have yet to see any postings in any forum claiming that the V-6 Avalon has sludge problems.
    what bb do you recommend for better information since you feel this is the worst? i would appreciate this information as i am in the process of deciding on purchasing the Avalon and trade in my SUV.

thanks for your post and i am serious about a better information bb.

miki
    Unfortunately, I can't recommend any internet sludge boards for you to research. All of them are questionable in the veracity of the statements made. However, if you haven't done so already, I would recommend looking at Consumer Reports since they take extensive customer surveys and do their own objective testing of vehicles. Additionally, I would recommend checking the latest J.D. Power and Associates report on the Avalon. I recall the Avalon won best premium mid size vehicle honors for initial quality based on owners responses. In my opinion, the Avalon is a great car for the money and I haven't had any problems with my 2001 XL. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
  • jonesie12jonesie12 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Avalon XLS with about 26k miles on it. Over the past 3000 miles, the car has a definite hesitation between the 2500 - 4000 RPM range accompanied by a large "surge" of power, as if the engine had a turbocharger, at about the 4500 RPM range until it shifts to the next gear. During the 2500 - 4000 acceleration, the engine surges about 300 RPM until it hits the 4000 RPM mark. It is extremely noticeable while merging onto the freeway and for those "emergency" maneuvers that are sometimes required. It is very noticeable when the car is loaded. Took it into the local dealer here a couple of months ago and they found no problem. I complained so much that the Service Manager drove it. Of course, he found no problems also. My wife notices it, so I know that I am not crazy. I have tried different grades and brands of fuel with no luck. It seems to be getting worse as the car seems to try to stall for the first 30 seconds to 1 minute of operation when the engine is cold? I had the injectors cleaned and the air filter replaced today. It still does it, and it seems worse now. Any ideas?
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Just passed 67,000 miles on my '99 Avalon and still NO REPAIRS !! Just the things that are routine...oil, filters, fluids, etc. Might not be the perfect car as many have noted.. it bumps, it creaks a little, but it sure beats most cars.. How much better can you get than ZERO dollars in repairs?? Yes, it is easier highway mileage, but the car rides great and just got 30.7 miles to the gallon on a 330 mile trip at 71 mph average, with luggage. Go TOYOTA!
  • jtsbrownjtsbrown Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me? I have been pricing 2002 avalons, and with a dealer invoice of $29219 my dealer gave me a price of $30400. Cars direct gave me a price of $30719, Do these seem fair or are they to high? With the option prices lower the 2001 leftovers are certainly no bargain. Any help would be appreciated.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Price sounds good for a 2002, but you should be able to get them to lower the prices a lot on leftover 2001s.
    There is probably a rebate or some other dealer incentive.
    hi:

well, i have to say i drove a Solara today, and wow, fast fast fast. when i drove the Avalon, i just do not remember it being as fast. possibly because of the styling of the cars, i may not have punched the Avalon like i did the Solara. anyway, can anyone tell me does the Solara and the Avalon have the same engine? I had a dealer give me a price quote on a 2001 Avalon, it was around $29,500 and another dealer quoted $30,300 around there.

miki
    Yes, spelling is important when each word has a completely different meaning!
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    I finally have my first problem-outside temperature guage reads very low. Reads about 74 when its 91 outside. This effects the climate control and must set desired temp. below what o.s.temp. reads. Dealer ordered new sensor and was installed yesterday. Went to car in lot and o.s.temp. said 83 when it was in the 90's. After 5 mile drive home, finally said was 89 outside. Understand I must drive it a lot further to get it up to proper reading. Problem is that I park in basement and temp. there is about 75. Will have to drive it outside until reaches proper temperature on dash. At least that's when service advisor said. Also, if never reaches proper reading, they will talk to factory rep. Will keep you advised.
  • byuacebyuace Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a 97 Avalon, but am wondering what the gas mileage will be like. It's an XLS model if that makes any difference, and will probably be used more on the highway. Will those with 97 Avalons (and others as well) please email me, and tell me how the Avalon does on miles/km per gallon?
    I noticed that someone got 30.7 mpg recently. Is that average highway mpg? Anyway, please fill me in. Also where could I find sites that rate fuel efficiency?
    Thanks. (byuace@hotmail.com)
    My 2001 XL has been averaging about 24 MPG on mixed highway and city driving during its first 3000 miles of operation. I consider this to be quite good for a full size V-6 powered vehicle.
    are the 2002 XLS avalons bodystyle any different than the 2001? i heard that there was little change?, have been tryin to find a web site with the new 2002 but havent found one yet. possibly searching wrong?

thanks miki
  • ong2000ong2000 Member Posts: 19
    Today I am driving behind a 2001 Avalon, and I saw that the exhaust piping / muffler is very low compare to most car. I think that is the reason for scraping.

Joe
    Anyone else notice that a portion of the speedomoter is reflected off the windshield during evening driving? This is annoying as heck for this otherwise wonderful automobile. Any solutions, comments are appreciated.
  • rzepa2rzepa2 Member Posts: 24
    I am seeing it all the time when driving
    in night\evening. Agree. Annoying as hell
    but don't drive much that late.

Only thing which seems to work is just dimming it out.
    I haven't actually seen a 2002 Avalon yet. However, It is my understanding that they are identical to the 2001s. When I bought my 2001 I asked the dealer about the 2002 model year and was told their would be no changes in the design. Even the base price is the same, but the options are now cheaper.

Regarding your questions about the Solara. The V-6 is similar except that the Avalons has a bit more horsepower. The Solara would be faster though because it is lighter and smaller than the Avalon which would translate into a better horsepower to weight ratio for the Solara. The Solara is really nothing more than a renamed Camry two door coupe (which is not a bad thing). It is definitely sportier than the Avalon. If you're looking for a sporty and reliable V-6 coupe instead of a refined full size luxury car then the Solara is certainly worth considering. I would also suggest looking at the Honda Prelude, Accord V-6 two doors and the new Acura RSX.
  • rbingrbing Member Posts: 8
    I purchased an Avalon XLS recently. I continue to be generally very pleased,... but the gas mileage has been awful in the city. I am ranging somewhere between 250 and 300 on a tank of gas. What is going on, the fuel range reads 252? I have been using 89 octane gas.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I am thinking that I really need to get car on the highway for long distance? Any thoughts before I return to dealer. Thanks!
  • pdinkinspdinkins Member Posts: 3
    We have a 95 Maxima that we really like except for the road noise when driving on the highway.
    We're thinking of trading for an Avalon and are curious about the quietness of the ride at highway speeds. We test drove 2002 Avalon yesterday and were impressed.

What do Avalon owners feel about ride quality/road noise?
  • sky33sky33 Member Posts: 26
    I visited a dealer the other day and they had a number of 2002 avalons. They are basically unchanged from 2001. The only updates I noticed were they now have more chrome in the interior of the car. Chrome door handles, chrome button on the gear shift and a couple had rear spoilers that didn't look too bad. Sounds like most folks are pretty satisfied with their avalons. Now if toyota could fix the minor annoyances (e.g. speedometer reflection, bottoming out when you go over bumps in the road, etc) As for styling I like the avalon but I hope they do something about both the front and rear-end of the car.

Has any one seen the 2002 Camry? From what I've seen it looks sharp. I am wondering if new design will take sales away from the avalon especially if the camry is bigger on the inside? Based on what I've seen the camry might be a good alternative to the avalon.
    Based upon the photos I've seen of the new Camry, it is indeed a knockout. Go to the Camry board and you too can check it out. Problem is, I've heard it has a tighter suspension than the current model and initial pricing because of demand will be high. Don't think you'll match the comfort of the Avalon with the new Camry.
    hi:

i went to our dealer today, and they had the new 2002 avalon. it is the color i like, the premium package, the v skid control, the Jbl sound, the list price $34941.00 with a mfg discount of $1200.00, the dealership is going to discount the car another $2500.00, plus give me X amt of dollars for my trade in an Eddie Bauer Explorer 1999.

i am wanting to know more about the extended warranties, do you buy it from the dealer itself? or do you negotiate with an outside company for the extended warranty? and what do they cost?

the reason for the urgency is that they are holding car til monday when my husband returns to town. sooo, what does ANYONE think of the dealer offer, and pls let me know about the warranty?

thanks miki
  • ogclaogcla Member Posts: 2
    I found a 2002 at a dealer today that was $750 more than a 2001 XLS model on the lot. 2002 XL had more options - leather interior and moonroof, premium JBL sound system, etc. Maybe the 2002 options are cheaper than the 2001. Didn't purchase. Side comment: Disappointed to find money (hidden inside a compartment) missing out of my car after it was appraised. Left me wondering how reputable the dealer really is.
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    By all means purchase the extended warranty from Toyota. I purchased mine up to 75,000 miles, etc. It cost about $450.00 and there is no co-payment. I think its called the Platinum Plan.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Why are you in such a hurry to buy? With the 2002 already in showrooms deals on the 2001 are common place. Since there is no difference between the 02 Vs the 01, I would go for the 2001.

Regarding the warranty, I would NOT buy it. Instead, put the $800+ in a five year CD at 4.5%, compounded monthly, that amount would grow to over $1,000. However, if you are risk averse and want peace of mind, then the premium you are paying for this insurance is justified. Remember, a warranty is like insurance. You are paying for the risk that you are unwilling or unable assume.
    bwia: i believe the deal on the new 2002, is what has me leaning in that direction. i purchased a 97 volvo instead of 98, and when i traded it in i lost my shirt because it was a full year older. had i purchased the new 98, the trade in would have been a whole lot more, apparently that is important? and actually i am buying the 2002 for the same price they wanted to offer me for the 2001. infact they tried to sell me a 2000, brand new, for the same price? that just doesnt make sense to me.

the reason for the hurry (in a sense), is i currently own the Explorer, and i have not been comfortable driving on the interstate since the reports hit the news of rollover. so, i guess it is personal for me, but i can purchase a brand new vehicle for the same price as an older model. that is how i am looking at it.

thanks for the posts, i like being able to come here and get everyones opinions.

miki
  • rslykerslyke Member Posts: 1
    To those of you who have a problem either with SUNLIGHT REFLECTING from the dash near the speedometer or, on the XLS, the green instrument panel REFLECTIONS AT NIGHT---TAKE HEART!!! Toyota has a fix for the problem, NOT A RECALL__ONLY IF YOU COMPLAIN! The fix is described in Toyota Service Bulletin # BO014-01, dated April 13, 2001. It affects 2000-2001 Avalons and replaces the present curved panels covering the two halves of the instrument panel with new (I suspect, non-curved) parts. At the bottom of the bulletin it states "Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer complaint." In other words, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, if you are experiencing either of these problems YOU GOTTA COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!!!!
  • dp89jpdp89jp Member Posts: 8
    Ready to buy (cash sale) my wife a 2002 XLS. Contacted 9 dealers by e-mail for best price reference invoice. One says $500 under and 2 said at invoice. Do they still have some profit at $500 under, or is he trying to play games? I want to order, not locate it and have it driven in. Can't I request copy of factory order to be sure that is how it is handled? Any other suggestions?
    Thanks for any feedback.

DP
    $500 under invoice for a 2002 Avalon sounds too good to be true. If it's for real then it's an incredible deal. Even so, the dealer still makes money because of the holdback which I believe is 3% of the price. I would ask that the dealer show you the invoice to make sure you're getting the deal you think you're getting. Good luck. Of course, if you actually post the price with options that the dealer is giving you we'll be able to tell if it's truly $500 under invoice.
  • 2194621946 Member Posts: 5
    I am having a problem with the paint on the hood of my 2001 avalon. the color is lunar mist and the paint seems to be chipping as if being hit by stones but my wife and i never hear any stones hit the car!! the car has less than 10,000 miles on it drives great but am just having a problem with the paint. does anyone else have the same problem and if so what have you done to correct it. by the way i`m not talking about just a coupe of chips i`m talking over 20.
    Thanks so much for the info on the Service Bulletin. I'll definitely pursue this!
    There seem to be a number of Avalon owners on this message board who have stated that their cars seem to get paint chips more frequently than most other cars. My Avalon has only 3500 miles and so far I only have one paint chip which I have just considered to be normal wear and tear from highway driving. However, there does seem to be a common problem here. Has anyone asked the dealer about the paint chips? If so, what was the dealers response. Normally, a dealer won't fix chipped paint unless it is truly a defect in the paint.
  • jmiller475jmiller475 Member Posts: 5
    Is there anyone out there who can tell me how I might fix a rattle in the dash of my 2000 Avalon?

The noise seems to be coming from either the black vent area or the area between the front windshield and the dash. I am trying to pinpoint it, but have been unsuccessful.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't think the dealer will do anything since it has 15,000 miles on it.
    hi:

went ahead this weekend and purchased the 2002 Avalon with all the bells and whisles. i believe i got a great deal, $1000 cheaper than they wanted to give me for a 2001 (?). so far, only days now, i am enjoying the ride, interior, and just in general the Avalon.
    thanks to this board and all the comments you post here. will come back to continue to check on others problems or good comments.

miki
  • carguy000carguy000 Member Posts: 55
    My mom has a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS w/ 32,000. It has been a great car and we've had no problems. However, I've noticed that the cruise control lets the car speed up more than in most other cars I've riden in. For example, with the cruise set on 60, the car will easily speed up to 64-65 on a moderate downward slope. If the car then travels up a hill, it will slowly decelerate from 64 to about 57, and then there's a harsher than normal downshift that brings the car back up to 60. However, if the car just goes up a hill, it seems to hold its speed fairly well. I had the Toyota dealership check this out after I explained to them my problem. They didn't seem to think that anything was wrong. What do you guys think? Maybe it's just the cruise controls on Toyotas; my 2001 Civic doesn't have the problem of speeding up drastically while going downhill, and I've never known other cars to do this AS MUCH as the Avalon does. I'd appreciate any insight on this matter. Other than this small nuisance, we love our Avalon, and Dad has said that he'll never own anything but an Avalon. That suits me just fine, as long as they let me drive it. :)

Also, with the Camry offering a side curtain airbag for 2002, I'm kindof surprised that the Avalon doesn't. I guess they're going to wait until the minor reskin/update in 2003.
    In addition to the side curtain airbags, I'd also like to see a modest increase in horsepower, the navigation system and a sport mode option for the suspension. The sport mode is currently available on the Japanese version of the Avalon called the Pronard.

I'd rather Toyota not use the navigation system that's in the new 2002 Camry. It conceals both the CD (single CD in place of changer) and the cassette player. Really dumb layout.
  • dp89jpdp89jp Member Posts: 8
    Appreciate feedback on extended warranty for 2002 Avalon. Dlr has 75000/7 yrs with $100 ded. per event for $995. If unused after 7 yrs refund 50%.
    An extra $125 for 0 ded. We will keep this car about 10 years & 70K miles.
    Any suggestions for other plans?
    Should close deal by Monday (8/20). Will advise on cost.
    Thanks,
    DP
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    DP, at www.toyotawarranty.com they are offering these extended warranty products, among others. I am not sure if they have a refund policy if unused.

Toyota Platinum Plan $50 deductible 72 Months or 75,000 miles for Avalon,Tundra
    Price: $640.00
    ---------

Toyota Platinum Plan $0 deductible 72 Months or 75,000 miles for Avalon,Tundra
    Price: $690.00
    ---------

Toyota Platinum Plan $50 deductible 72 Months or 100,000 miles for Avalon,Tundra
    Price: $960.00
    ---------

Toyota Platinum Plan $0 deductible 72 Months or 100,000 miles for Avalon,Tundra
    Price: $1,010.00
    In addition to my previous request, I'd also like to see the following in the 2003 Avalon:

1. Illuminated door and window switches
    2. A rear sun shade (electric, not manual)
    3. Foldable side mirrors
    4. And like the 2002 Camry, buttons on the steering wheel to control the trip computer.

Swweeeeeet!

I hope Toyota doesn't put these most highly desirable features off until the 2005 model.
  • wheels4mewheels4me Member Posts: 36
    The thing I would most like to see on the Avalon
    is a better crash test rating. A 3 star in the
    driver's seat is not good enough. I don't understand how the ratings have gone down over
    the years. You would think Toyota would be
    paying attention, knowing the ratings will be
    posted.
    Once again , the Insurance Institute's offset test rated the Avalon a best pick!