Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• bmpbmpbmpbmp Member Posts: 8
    Hi all - just received an email from Toyota giving me details of a $500 Cash Back Offer Certificate on a new 2002 or 2003 Avalon. I visited the Toyota site last night, and downloaded/printed out the Avalon e-brochure. I'm guessing that's how I got on the list.

Anyway, there's a special "reservation number" on the certificate you print out, and it's only good for the immediate family at same address thing. It says to negotiate your best deal and then have the dealer validate the certificate, and it can be used as a "rebate" or as a down payment for purchase or lease. It's good from July 1 to August 31.

This is the first I've seen of any kinda rebate on the Avalon, and I thought I'd pass it along.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Hmmm... We are getting something similar here in the Central Atlantic Region, but it is only on the Tundra and Tacoma. That means it is a regional thing. The way our rules read, it is only good to the person it was originally sent to plus one forwarded version. They claim to have some method to prevent multiple forwards of this coupon.
    ...all 2002 Avalons have a $750 rebate this month in the CAT region as well. I don't know what other regions have.
  • sharkmama49sharkmama49 Member Posts: 22
    I went to the toyota site and didn't see where to download the certificate. Could you give me more info thanks!
    Thanks for the info I called Dianne and she did remember you and she tried to give me a good deal. she offered 32 something but we got a better deal near us in ohio. they offered 30,200without nav and 32,400 with nav and skid control. We chose the nav. Suppose to come in next week. Diane said she couldn't beat that deal.
  • bmpbmpbmpbmp Member Posts: 8
    About 3 months ago, I requested a hard copy brochure of the 2002 Avalon, they sent it in the mail. The other night I requested an e-brochure of the 2003 Avalon. The next morning I got the email that gave me a link to click on where the certificate could be printed. It says it's exclusively for me and non-transferable, or I'd send it to you.

Cliffy or someone else might advise better, but I'd suggest going to toyota.com and requesting both a hard-copy brochure (they have my address on the certificate, they must've gotten it from my hard-copy request) and an e-brochure as well.

By the way, it says this offer can be used in conjunction with other cash certificates, but only one Avalon $500 Cash Back Offer Certificate can be used per Purchaser/Lessee.

Hope this helps!
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Thank you for the response, you did your shopping and have made an outstanding choice. Diane had given me an outstanding quote on a Diamond Pearl 2002 XLS ($29801) but could not match Gateway Toyotas 2003 price on same model for $30301. Your 03 quote with Nav and VSC is a good price. They probably will not produce that many Navs and the demand may be high at this time. If I had been give the choice for a Nav, I probably would have taken it but my wife does not need it for her short drives.
    We are up to 537 miles in the 2 weeks we have had this car, it is outstanding. And the auto climate control unit is flawless. The Philadelphia area has had temps in the upper 90's with high humidity this week, I set my side on 72, she sets her on 77 and it is great. This is a powerful A/C system! Tomorrow morning we are off to Cape May, NJ for the day, looking forward to a pleasant trip. I am yet to find a person that has had a problem with their Avalon, some have come down from Lexus and see little difference. Many have come from the domestics and see many differences, mainly QUALITY. I am now considering another new Toyota, that will be 3 within the year. Like to tell Ford what they have lost, just don't think they care?
    Please advise how well you like your new Avalon. Good Luck!!
  • deluxcardeluxcar Member Posts: 47
    Here is my rating, on a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being the highest, after two years of ownership of my 2000 Avalon XLS.

9.4 Overall Rating
    9.0 Styling
    8.5 Performance
    10 Interior
    10 Quality
    10 Recommendation

PROS:
    I like several things about the Avalon XLS: the quiet and plush ride; the JBL sound system with 6-disk CD changer; large comfortable leather seats; elegant center console; air conditioning filter; and large digital information display.

CONS:
    Annoying rattle in the glove compartment area which mysteriously goes away when there are other passengers in the car. The car tends to move to the left requiring extra effort to keep it straight. Lacks an integrated cell phone.

OVERALL REVIEW:
    An excellent automobile in all respects. It is spacious, luxurious and substantial. I am even embarrassed to take it to work fearing that co-workers might think that I make too much. Lexus quality with a Toyota emblem and moniker.
    Nice review. I have a suggestion on the "glove box" rattle and it is an odd one so stick with me for a moment. I had a customer once with the same complaint. The noise just never existed when a passenger was riding along. I took the car out for a test drive by myself and I heard the same noise. It really drove me nuts because I couldn't exactly track down the source.

Then, I looked back farther than I thought the source of the noise was. I noticed the passenger seat belt was twisted and the buckle was vibrating against the window pillar. I untwisted it and the noise was gone.

Don't ask me why the noise seemed to be coming from the glove box. I think it just has something to do with acoustics and the shape of the interior.

The customer was amazed. It seems his wife wasn't careful about where her seatbelt ended up when she exited the car. Whenever she was riding along, she wore it and hence, no noise.

This may not be your issue, but you might want to take a look at it.
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    My 2000 XLS just turned over 24,000 miles. Never had a problem except the car locking itself in my basement garage. Decided to live with it. I have Toyota do ALL scheduled maintenance but at 3,000 miles instead of 5,000 miles. I don't have the windshield glare so complain about. I look ahead instead of looking up at the windshield.A/C works wonderful. When car is parked in sun, upon starting, it starts out in recirculate mode until car cools down then automatically transfers to outside air. I have never been able to figure out the JBL radio with the message alerts, etc., but no problem. Sound is good and I use the 6 disc changer all the time. Don't listen to the junk on radio.
  • 02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    I just returned from a 1200 mile road trip down south in our '02 Avalon. I calculated 29.4 miles/gal going 75-80 mph with 2.5 people, a full trunk, A/C on low the whole trip and using premium fuel (93 octane). I got an unbelievable 470 miles on a full tank before the fuel light came on!! I imagine I could have done better if I wasn't speeding, but 29.4 mpg is quite impressive for a 2 ton load (vehicle plus contents).

Highlander7: We have the ivory leather interior and our two year old manages to keep us on our toes with his juice spills, etc. I use Lexol leather cleaner and the separate leather conditioner. The leather still looks like the day we first bought the Avalon. Plus it keeps your car smelling brand new.

I also use Lexol Vinylex (sp?) for the dash and gauges with excellent results. My local distributor mentioned that the Lexus dealer uses Lexol products on their cars. Good enough for Lexus, good enough for my Avalon!
    I was wondering about the type of fuel to use in the 03 Avalon. The book says to use premium but the dealer said to use regular and that you were onlly wasting your money using premium. Any input?
  • j_walkerj_walker Member Posts: 99
    I ordered the '03 Avalon from Joe Graves at Fitzgerald over the weekend expecting arrival in 6-8 weeks. It is the diamond white pearl exterior with ivory leather interior. I originally had designs on the taupe leather thinking that it would be easier to maintain than the ivory. While this may be true, I just couldn't overcome the fact that the ivory just looked better than the taupe. The wife thought the stone looked just as good if not better. But didn't like how it looked with the wood accents.

Here's the rest of the equipment list:

Premium luxury package - (code: GV)

Navigation system - (code: NV)

Power moon roof - (code: SR)

Vehicle skid control - (code: VD)

Glass break sensor, first aid kit, floor mats -(code: Z1)

The price excluding TTL is $32647. Basically, $700 over invoice prices for car and optional equipment plus local advertising fee.

Anyone know where/how I can get one of those $500 rebates? Every bit of savings certainly helps.

When it arrives, I will tint the windows and install the mudguards.

Speaking of mudguards, Highlander7, did you receive yours yet and does the color match 100%? How do they look on the car? Have any pics?
    Your book doesn't say to use premium. It says to use at least 87 octane but if you want "improved performance" use a 91 or premium. The Avalon does benefit from premium, but it is not required.
    The rebates don't apply to the Avalon in this area and it wouldn't work on a 2003 anyway. Those extra rebates are only on the Tacoma and Tundra here in the DC area.
    j_walker...
    I ordered my mudguards from Romania Toyota, (toyotaguys.com). They only come in black, installation is easy. They look fine on my wifes Diamond Pearl. Some people may not care for them but they will save the sides of the car from mud splashing and occasional stones flying off the wheels. If I can figure out how to do pics on this site, I will try to do so this week.
    highlander7:

I found body-match painted ones at www.toyotaparts4u.com. I've not bought from them before but I think I'll give them a try.
  • 02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    j_walker: I would like to hear your feedback on the body-matching painted mud guards when you get them on your new Avalan.
    Will do.
    Today, Central Atlantic Toyota informed us that there will be a $500 on-line coupon for the Avalon and it does apply to the 2002 AND the 2003. As to how you get one, I'm not as sure of that. I think they are taking e-mail addresses of people who asked for information to be sent via the Toyota web site.
    Is central atlantic toyota a local dealership or is the rebate good for anywhere. What is the address of the place? I e-mailed the toyota.com address and they said there is no such rebate for the 03 avalon.
  • rebeccatangrebeccatang Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys, I live in Charlotte, North Carolina. I want to buy a used Avalon, but I searched on line for several days, there are few Avalons for sale. Any of you are intrested in selling a used Avalon, please contact me at rebecca_tangjing@yahoo.com
    Thanks!
    Central Atlantic Toyota is the distributor for the mid Atlantic states which covers VA, MD, DE, WV and PA. There are 13 regional distributorships for Toyota and each is responsible for its own rebate and incentive programs. Again, I don't know exactly how one gets the coupon. I believe they take e-mail addresses of those who submitted on-line requests for Avalon brochures. I don't know if there was a cut off date for that or not. I wish I could tell you more. The only reason I brought this up was because another member asked about it for this region.
  • dogwooddogwood Member Posts: 19
    Cliffy1: I've been reading this board for a week or so, after we test drove an Avalon and loved it. One dealer showed us a letter from Toyota announcing cheap financing (1.9% for 36, 2.9 for 48 and 3.9 for 60 months) on 2002's, but the store ten miles away claims they never heard of it. First store is in CT, second is in MA. Are they in different zones? Or do some dealers opt in and out of these incentive plans?
    The CT store has three identical 02 XL models, with floor mats as the only option, and window stickers of $26509. Salesman said they really want to move 'em. I'm wondering if there might be some dealer cash available, and if an offer around invoice or slightly lower would buy one. This would put the car in the Camry price range, where we should really be, budgetwise. I realize you can't speak for all dealers, but you seem to have a good handle on pricing. Thanks for all the wisdom you've shared on this board.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Dogwood,
    One internet site that I watch for good deals is a few hours south of where you've been looking.

Turnersville Auto Complex in Turnersville, NJ off exit 3 of the NJ Turnpike is on the net at www.turnersvilleauto.com/specials.htm

They currently show 2002 Avalons at $300 over invoice + special financing. Based on Edmund's pricing pages that would mean a price of about $23,750. But remember that's an 'asking price' not a final deal. The new model year cars are in and the 2002 ones should present you with a good shopping selection and great pricing.a

You might just give them a call at 1 (888) 252-7742. If nothing else, an aggressive quote from the Turnersville Complex, could help you with the other dealerships.

I feel that the dealerships in Connecticut find the 'base' Avalons much harder to move than newer ones with options. We only paid $800 over invoice for an Avalon XLS mid-ways through the 2000 model year when we bought ours.

The instant you take delivery on a 2002 with 2003's already on the lot, you will absorb a full year's depreciation. You can always start much, much lower on your offers and work up. I like to always deal from a perspective of 'out the door' pricing which would include state taxes, title and license fees.

Otherwise the dealerships will try to nick you for window VIN etching, document fees, etc.

If the dealership doesn't give you a great deal on a 2002, go find a dealership that will give you a good one on a 2003. If you are near Boston try Boch, Ira or Toyota of Watertown.

Good luck
  • deluxcardeluxcar Member Posts: 47
    Check out this website:

http://newcar.nadaguides.com/rebates/rebates_makemodel.cfm?brand_nmb=560

Apparently Toyota is indeed offering a $500 rebate for both 2002 and 2003 Avalons. It says consumers must choose between factory rebates and special financing unless noted otherwise.

Certificate for rebate must be obtained from www.avalonoffer.com
    GREAT! We found the site,only thing is you have to have a postcard or an e-mail with a number to submit. I guess you have to be one of the chosen few. Downloading the brochures evidently doesn't work either
    thanks your right about the fuel type
    We got our avalon w/nav two days ago. Still love it as much as our 2000 but kinda miss the blue screen with all the info on it. The navagation system is pretty complicated but am determined to figure it out. If not successful will bug them until they come out with a simpler map dvd.
    Congratulations....you will enjoy the upgrades, some are hand downs from Lexus, on your new 2003 XLS. Although the wood grain steering wheel is only a cosmetic change, it makes a difference contrasted with our Ivory interior.

Navigation System: Like anything new, learning to use this system may seem complicated at first. With a little practice, I'm sure it will become easier to use. Toyota usually does it right the first time and if there is a problem, they will fix it. My wifes most positive comment is about the effectiveness of the climate control system, it works very extremely well. And the more I look at the front grill, the more I like it. Hard to believe we purchased this car 3 weeks ago today, she does not miss her Acura Legend. We made as you have done, a great choice.
    In my travels today I stopped at a couple of other dealers. You're right - they have more 02 XL models than anything else. I also found a couple with the luxury pkg. - leather, alloy wheels, JBL sound and keyless entry - but they had bench seats. Not sure if we want a bench. Nice package, though, and well worth the extra thousand or so. Where did you buy your Avalon, and how was the dealer experience?
    We bought our 2000 XLS at Boch Toyota in Norwood, MA.

The dealer experience was terrific. Our main salesperson was Billy Ray Baker, who is now one of their managers.

Dealing with them was very smooth.

We had the car back a few times in the first several months to chase some to the minor rattles that Avalons sometimes seem to get. Boch was very good and on one of them Toyota zone folks came up from Mansfield, MA to take care of a problem. They even replaced the front struts because they squeaked every now and then.

Boch also has a good web site and responsive web folks. The only caution here is that the web site doesn't always correctly portray inventory. Sometimes what you see is what you can get, other times its only 'representative'. I think that Boch is like a lot of large dealerships ( the sell 7,000 Toyota's per year) in that the volume is too overwhelming to keep the database up to date in real time.

I don't care for the Avalon bench seat look very much either. The Avalon' s bucket seats don't have the firmly bolstered feel of a German car, so the bench probably doesn't feel much different than bucket.

I don't think that I would pay over invoice for ANY new 2002 at this point in time. The depreciation when you drive off the lot will make the car worth a great deal less than you pay.

If you want to establish value of a 'brand new' 2002, call a dealership and tell them you are executor of an Uncle's estate. Tell them the Uncle just passed away and had bought a new Avalon 3 months ago. It has very low miles, about 800. Ask what it is worth if you sell it to them and ask what you think you could get if you sold it on your own.

This would give you a calibration on what to pay for a 'year-old' new car.
    you're right. I like the new steering wheel and the auto climate does work well. When I first saw the brochure I was afraid of the front and back changes but I like them. And am slowly learning the nav, in time it will come easier. Started by setting a point not far away. Set a trip for my husband today further away. Should work well. I love the new wiper blades. they work incredibly well. I loved my 2000 avalon and I'm sure I'll love this one too.
    Now that you've had some time with the nav system, what are you thoughts about it? Pros, cons, etc. Also, do you think you made the right choice it getting it? Would you still have gotten it had you to do it over again? Thanks.
    We 'did not' get the nav system in our 03 Diamond White XLS. The nav system and glass break sensor were the only items we did not get. If it was available (if dealer had one with nav instead of the one he sold us) I probably would have considered it.

sharkmama49 and husband have had their 03 with nav for a few days and are just getting familiar with it. I'm sure they will give us an update if asked. Look at earlier posts by her #1586 & #1590, they love their new Avalon.
    Sorry highlander7. I meant to address this to sharkmama49.
    Now that you've had some time with the nav system, what are you thoughts about it? Pros, cons, etc. Also, do you think you made the right choice it getting it? Would you still have gotten it had you to do it over again? Thanks.
    we are getting more used to the nav system. It was kind of complicated especially since noone in the dealership really knew how to work it to give us a head start. but have found its real easy to get home from anywhere because when you first get it, you log in your house and when you want to get home just click the home icon. Even if you take a different turn than they give you, it automatically adjusts to get you home. It tells you in plenty of time when you have to make a turn or take an exit. and repeats it again before telling you to actually do it. Still having a little trouble setting long trips but I feel its just a matter of time. But you can set your own routes to your destinations. I'm glad I got it but I'm not really ready to recommend it 100%
    Need a little more time to get to know it. will keep you updated.Haven't had it a week yet.
    Hi Dogwood,

IRA Toyota is offering 2002 Avalons with the $26,509 sticker you mentioned in an earlier email here in the Boston Globe for $22885. That would be about $600 under invoice.
    Thanks again, Footie. I saw Ira's prices. Boch is advertising one for $20,988. We're looking for one with leather, I think. Might be getting scarce, but car shopping is fun, anyway, right? We saw a $31K Camry (marked down to $29K) today. Wow.
    When I was Matrix shopping, Boch was advertising one for $13,800 something. When I stopped by, it had been sold.

Call before you go over. An Avalon at $21K is a couple of K under invoice, might be a demo or exec car.

Good luck. in your shopping.

Can you imagine anyone paying $31K for a Camry? Every now and then you see them for 16 to 17K in Boch ads. How much more Camry do you get for another 14K....
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Congratulations on your new car, happy motoring! If you don't mind, would you please tell us how much your 03 (XL or XLS) cost and the options you added? Are there any differences between the 02 and 03 other than the NAV? I looked at carsdirect.com and found that for an 03 XLS with nav, sunroof, vsc and premium luxury pkg with heated seats, the price (including destination charges but before tax) comes to $32,688. Is that a good price?
    hi we bought an 03 xls with nav,sunroof,vsc,prem leather w/heated seats,glass breakage sensor for $32,360, out the door w/tax and title was $34,132. Make sure they don't charge much more that 50 for documentary fees and also dont pay any advertising fees. They made a few changes in the 03. The front grille is a little different and the back lights and insignia. the 03 steering wheel is leather accented in wood while the 02 is all leather. Just a few minor changes, the biggest being the nav system.
    Other than the multi-stage air bags and electrochromic side mirror, the other items are cosmetic. If they were options, I would have payed extra for the alloy wheels and wood grain steering wheel, they really enhance this car.

2003 XLS New Features

Multi-Stage Front Air Bags

Lexus Like Alloy Wheels

Wood Grain Trim Steering Wheel

Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers

Electrochromic Driver Side View Mirror

Re-Designed Front Grill and Rear Tail Lights
  • amc697amc697 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2002 Avalon XLS with power bench seats. The passenger side seat does not go up & down with the power seat buttons, unlike the drivers seat. The dealer said that it is manufactured that way.
    Can anyone confirm this?
    Thanks
  • gotshagotsha Member Posts: 8
    I have a problem with the Auto setting for the a/c. I set the temp to 78 degrees and the car is like an ice box. It doesn't cycle off when it reaches the set temp. Went back to the dealer and asked and he said you have to turn the a/c control off.
    I had a 200 Chrysler Concorde which also had an auto temp control and it worked fine. No matter what temp you set it to, when it reach that temp, the a/c cycled off and then back on when the temp got warmer again. Even in the winter when I set the heat on auto, it maintained the right cabin temp. This Avalon just keeps going and going and going and there is no way to have an auto temp control either in the a/c mode or the heat mode. Anyone else have this problem? Why would they tell you its automatic and not have it work that way? Very dissapointed in this car. Over rated and over priced and lacks a lot of small refinements that you get on American brand cars. Don't look for window switches in the dark because you have to feel for them. They are illuminated like in the Concorde.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Is your automatic climate control set on auto?
  • hello52hello52 Member Posts: 11
    gotsha, we have the same problem as you with the automatic A/C control on our 2001 Avalon. In response to alpha01, we did have it set to auto. I had a 1994 Dodge Intrepid prior to the Avalon and like the Concorde, it cycled perfectly and its window switches were illuminated. Why should I have to turn the A/C off to have it work 'automatically'? When we do turn the A/C off, the automatic function still doesn't work quite right because when its, say 64 deg F outside, and I set it to 68 on auto, it doesn't cool the interior.

Overall great car, but minor annoyances. We just returned from a 3000 mile road trip. Had the above annoyances, still have the glare problem, and the car bottoms out more often with a car load of people and a trunk full of luggage. Overall though, not a single engine problem, cruise worked perfectly, didn't burn a drop off oil, and we couldn't believe how much stuff we could put in the trunk: baby stroller, golf clubs, large luggage bag, two medium sized luggage bags, cooler, several misc bags, and a camera bag.

Just passed the 15,000 mile 'seasoned' point and plan to change the oil to Mobil 1.
  • bitnoj1bitnoj1 Member Posts: 17
    Where can I get a list of invoice price options for the 03 XLS. Also who's offering the best price in the NW Indiana/Chicago IL area? I am willing to pay $500-$1000 over invoice if that's possible, otherwise it's off to the Acura TL dealer.
    Try Kelly Blue Book at www.kbb.com or Intellichoice at www.intellichoice.com.