Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• zmonyzmony Member Posts: 3
    02mdx,

Thanks for the info. Where did you buy your OEM wood dash kit? Did you install it yourself? Where is a good place to get the mud flaps? The auto dimming mirror came with the car and I agree it is nice.

Z
  • 02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    The Toyota dealer installed the Wood Dash at the time of purchase. I was fortunate to get the kit and installation for invoice, I think it was $306. Installation should not be a big deal either as wood pieces are placed on top of the existing plastic panels. I pretty sure the adhesive is already on the dash pieces.

As for the Mud guards, I purchased Color-Keyed Mud Guards directly from the internet: http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/

A set of four costs $79 plus S&H, prompt shipping, good e-mail feedback. Takes less than an hour to install (I had to remove the real wheels to install) w/ some drilling (just pilot holes). Ascetically, they make the Avalon look more sporty, lower to the ground. Functionality, keeps the road grime off the panels... plus I'm sure it will save the paint in the long run.

Hope this helps...

• footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    This may sound silly, but if Toyota only builds Avalons with plood (plastic wood) why is there a "factory" wood dash kit. I think the dealer might have been speaking with forked-tongue.

I see factory wood kits for sale many places on the web. Try Google.

Good luck!
  • sebmichael2002sebmichael2002 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. Am new to the group and so far love my 2001 XLS. I've been plagued by a noise that appears to be coming from the dash at the windshield, lower left corner. Dealer has looked at it 12 times and has: 1) foam padded under dash, 2) padded exterior plastic cowling at bottom exterior of windshield. Noise does not occur after the car has been parked in the sun. Now that it's winter here in the south the noise is driving me nuts. It does not occur only when hitting bumps, slight undulations or shifts trigger it as well. Turning on the heater to try and warm the windshield/dash does not have an effect. Any thoughts/advice? Earplugs are out! :-)
  • deluxcardeluxcar Member Posts: 47
    sebmichael2002:

I also had a persistent noise just as you described. The fix? proper installation of the air conditioning filter.
    Hope that helps.
  • twobrownstwobrowns Member Posts: 52
    I had a similar problem except it was around the rear window. Would hear a clicking sound which would occur when even going over seams etc. and only hear it when it was cold. Had the problem fixed this week and it turned out to be a headliner clip near the rear window. Apparently when it was cold the sheet metal would contract enough so that the clip would tap against the roof. That is what they told me anyway it is fixed.
  • wachsmuthwachsmuth Member Posts: 19
    Last week I ordered a 2003 Avalon XLS Lunar Mist w/bucket seats - it is being built this week at the factory in Georgetown KY - I am from Ohio. It has the following options:
    Z1 - SR - GV - VD - DK
    This is my first Toyota - I am 7l yrs. old & have had heart & spinal surgery. The Avalons on the car lot seem to feel very comfortable - easier to get in & out of than my 2-dr.coupe Olds 88 (l4 yrs. old & 275,000 miles)

I got a bottom-line price of $29,989 w/options - think this is a good deal?

What would be a good extended warranty - what kind of rust protection,etc.is recommended??? \

Ist the V5 factory installed intrrusion protection VIP RS 3200 already built in? The brochure seems to list it as an option for $309.

Any input would be greatly appreciated !!!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    First of all, a good deal in one area may not be a good deal in another, so that's not an easy question to answer.

As for extended warranties, that depends on what your driving habits are. You can configure them pretty easily for your driving habits. Some are very high milage with short term while others are just the opposite. Additional info about how you drive would be helpful to give you advice about warranties.

Rust protection, for the most part, is NOT recomended on Toyota's. They take many preventative steps to help ensure that they don't rust. From special primers and paints on lower body panels and the front areas to dipping some framing and body panel areas in wax, they are pretty well protected. Most aftermarket (not all) rust-proofing systems will either plug drain holes or are not very effective in real-world situations. There are some out there that are VERY effective, but they tend to be expensive and the marginally better protection you get vs. the systems they design into the vehicle may not be worth the cost. You will have to decide yourself if you feel they are worth it, however.

The XLS model has a transponder key with engine immobilizer as standard equipment. If someone tries to start the engine without one of the transponder keys, it will not allow the engine to start. The only thing that you MAY want to add would be the glass breakage sensor so that if any of your windows were broken, it would set off the alarm. the V5 is for the XL model primarily which does not have the transponder key or a factory alarm standard.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions you have.

Ken
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The only catch is that many people confuse rust proofing with undercoating and other protections. It is up to the consumer to decide if the other products are worth the extra money, but Toyotaken is right that rust proofing is a waste of money and in some cases detrimental to the car. It shocks me that some dealers still offer this. Again, undercoating and paint protection do have demonstrated value (although some may dispute just how much value, it doesn't hurt the car) but rust proofing is a waste.
    Honestly, the best preventative for rust is regular and frequent washing including washing the underside of your vehicle. There are only two systems currently that I know of that have been shown to be effective. Both put the vehicle up on a lift and they spray a aerosolized material throughout the underside of the vehicle, including inside the framing members and then remove all of the inside door panels to access that area then move on from there. It's a process that takes up to 3 days and costs somewhere to the tune of $1,500. They also do annual re-applications to wear-prone areas such as the underbody for $200 or somewhere like that. It isn't inexpensive, but for something that is that exacting and time intensive that has been independently tested, I wouldn't expect it to be.

That being said, as cliffy and I have said before, for the most part, all of the ones that are offered by dealers are worthless at best and harmful at worst, so stay away from them.

Ken
  • joebo1joebo1 Member Posts: 3
    Could someone please tell me what the differences are between the XL and the XLS? I am looking into buying an early model ('95-'97). Thanks.
  • mikem30mikem30 Member Posts: 20
    I just took delivery of an 03 XL. Great car, but I did not realize that there was no alarm system as a standard feature. Is the V5 option dealer-installed or did I have to get it factory installed?
  • sevrianosevriano Member Posts: 3
    The VIP3200 can be installed by the dealer. However, the vehicle must be equipped with factory keyless entry. I just e-mailed Toyota on this subject. The only alternative for vehicles not equipped with keyless entry is an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry system. The problem with aftermarket gizmos is that if they malfunction and cause electrical damage Toyota will not honor the warranty.I am having a Viper alarm/keyless entry/remote start installed in my 02 XL next week.Weighing the risks I can't see not having these options on such a great car. If you go with a proven system and a competent installer you should be all set.
  • nomad56nomad56 Member Posts: 134
    joebo-based on 96 literature, XLS has STD ABS,Auto ON/OFF headlights(NOT avail on xl), STD alloys(opt on XL), variable intermittent wipers(NOT avail on xl), Auto climate control(NOT avail on xl), Outside temp guage, Keyless entry(opt on XL), 6-way pwr seat (opt on XL), Alarm (opt on XL), 6 spkrs vs 4 (up to 7 opt on either model)-Hope this helps
    -nomad-
    Thanks for the input. I would be interested in any response you get to your e-mail. I just read every page of Edmunds review/specifications and re-read the Avalon brochure. I can find no mention that keyless remote (which I have) on the XL does not include an alarm and/or the engine immobilizer feature!
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The '03 XL (even with the optional remote keyless entry) does not have the alarm/engine immobilizer included. The Alarm is an optional feature and can only be installed on XL models with the following packages:

Package #1 "GH"
    Package #2 "GI"
    Package #3 "GJ"
    Package #4 "GK"
    Luxury Pkg. "LP" or
    Sport Luxury Package "LT"

The XLS, however, comes standard with the alarm/engine immobilizer system. The only optional alarm related feature for the XLS is the glass breakage sensors.

It is also in the '03 Avalon brochure from Toyota. The Standard Features section of the brochure indicates that the XLS, in addition to the standard equipment on the XL, includes the alarm/engine immobilizer system. There is no mention of the alarm on the XL in this section because it is not included. Also, in the accessories section (underneath the color swatches), the VIP RS3200 alarm is listed as available only on vehicles with factory keyless entry (keyless entry is included in all of the aforementioned XL Packages). Additionally, the glass breakage sensors are only available on vehicles with factory alarm (the XLS is the only model that comes from the factory with an alarm).

All car manufacturers try to stuff so much information into these brochures that they actually make them harder to read. Toyota should use the tables and charts like GM does, where the features are listed and a check mark is placed in the column pertaining to each model. That way it is clear which option is included, optional, or not available on a particular trim model.
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    How is the 2000+ Avalon in snow? I owned a 92 Camry (160K miles when sold) that was great except for the brakes and the fact that it was useless in snow... Thanks.

Ralph
  • kicker9kicker9 Member Posts: 57
    I test drove an '03 XLS with the Michelin tires on some snow and slush covered roads. While they are not the best snow tires, they are more than adequate for this car, I didn't have any maneuvering problems and they were quite good at stopping. Just give yourself a little extra distance as you would for any winter driving. My new XLS will be here in the middle of Jan., can't wait. I'm turning in a '01 Lincoln LS with rear drive and traction control, it's absolutely the worst in the snow partially due to the stock Firestone Firehawk tires.
  • gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    I'm most likely doing the same thing, My '00 Lincoln LS8 sport( company car) will be turned in for an Avalon XL sometime this spring. ( the '90s are over - time for lower fuel and operating costs according to the big guy).

Some of the snow driving improvement with the Avalon is due to front drive and narrower tires ( compared to the Firehawks).

The Avalon isn't much of a handler and is slow compared to the LS but will offer all of the comfort and adequate responsiveness for much less dough.

I'd like to hear your impressions before I commit to the Avalon.

Happy Holidays
    Although I had several problems with my LS, some being repetitive, I'm not saying it's a bad car, just over priced compared with the other $40,000 plus choices out there, plus, look at the trade in values of 2 year old Lincolns. A 5 year old Avalon will bring as much in a trade-in as a 3 year old LS With a $10,000 higher sticker. Also, how much is the reliability factor of a Toyota worth? Enough to make me switch back, I must have put 1,000 miles on traveling back and forth to the dealership.
    I think the Avalon handles quite well, sure it's not a Vette, but, really, how often can you actually use a Sport type car to its full potential without constantly looking for cops. The Avalon handles just fine on those 55mph open roads with no need to slow down on the curves marked with the yellow 35 or 40 mph signs. And no, it won't win any drag races, but, more than enough acceleration to blend into traffic. The XLS has all the goodies I'm looking for and then some, not to mention the most quiet car I've ever been in including a Cadillac Seville that I test drove. I know the front wheel drive is much better in the snow, I never expected the LS to be good, just not that bad.
    Hope this helps confirm your decision, I'm sure I'll be happy with mine.
    I drive from the Boston area to visit my mother in Delaware. I like to take my wife's 2000 Avalon XLS. It has 23K miles on it.

It's 340 miles each way. I usually make it in about 5 hours and 20 or 30 minutes, including one fairly brief stop. Averaging 65 in traffic.

I get 28-29 mpg going and 27-28 coming back ( downhill vs. uphill ). 87 octane.

Most of the trip is ultra dull, so I bring books on tape an enjoy the cars quiet ambiance and good sound system.

One part that is fun to drive is the Merritt Parkway in Southern Connecticut. It's about 65 miles of undulating, hilly and sometimes curving highway, generally posted at 55 mph. Traffic goes 60 - 70. The Avalon just sings along.

The Avalon is very large feeling on the inside. I think it has to do with the dash that is far away and slopes away from you. A friend has a new BMW 745i (with the ugly camel hump on the back) and it felt very cramped inside compared to the Avalon.

I think you will be happy.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    The Avalon is one of the best buys out there. You get size, comfort, decent fuel mileage and good resale value. My '99XL got 29+ mpg all the time on the road, sometimes 30, even with 92,000 miles on it. It was never repaired because it never broke. My fully loaded '03XL has yet to hit 30 mpg. But, it's a little bit faster than the '99 was. These are not sports type cars but they are solid performers. If you need what Avalon offers, you cannot go wrong.
    Also: My insurance company gave me a BIG discount for having the full ALARM system. The discount will cover the cost of the system in about a year. Ask your agent and maybe save a few bucks.
    Hi there - You mentioned that you will get your Avalon XLS in the middle of January. Did they give you a delivery date? I was just wondering, because I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago, and they can't give me an exact week of delivery.

Thanks for your input!
    G. Wachsmuth
    No exact date, they said it SHOULD be shipped from the factory between the first and second week and arrive around the middle of the month. I'm not in a big hurry as my current lease doesn't expire til the end of Feb.
  • coe1coe1 Member Posts: 5
    We're very happy with our new Lunar Mist XLS. Fit and Finish is great, but with less than 3000 miles a 'creaking' or slight 'crackling' noise has developed around the rear windshield area above(or perhaps, below) the seat--evident when traveling over seams and bumps. Another post mentioned a "clicking" noise that was found to result from a poorly attached headliner clip. This noise is different-any ideas or recommendations about where it might stem form and how to fix it? Right front head passenger head-rest also rattles--but dealer says he can easily fix that.
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    I also have an 03 XLS - Mica Blue with Ivory leather. It has the same head-rest noise from post 1948. Can you let us know what the "fix" is? Also, has anyone noticed that the outdoor temperature reading is consistently incorrect? Mine always reads about 5 to 6 degrees above the outside temp. I dont want to have the dash torn apart. Could it be a bad sensor & where is it located? Otherwise, no other complaints. Great mileage & ride.
  • coe1coe1 Member Posts: 5
    We earlier spoke to the dealer about the passenger side head-rest noise, but haven't taken the car in yet for servicing. He had heard the head-rest rattle complaint before and suggested he could put something (?)inside to fix it. Our temperature gauge is usually 2-4 degrees above as well, but we're learning to compensate, and occasionally it seems to be right on the mark. We'll post the "fix" when we take the car in.
  • rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    My 2001 XL is due for new tires. The POS
    General Tires (which came with the car) are
    pretty much bold with only 27K miles on them.

I am thinking about Michelin MXV4 Plus which
    come with the XLS version.

Are you guys happy with those tires ? Anyone has a better choices ?
    rzepa1-If you live anywhere near SNOW, get the MXV's. Best balance of all-weather traction I've had on my 96. Goodyears I had (can't remember model-sorry!) were good but, not as quiet. Recently put NEWEST OEM(Dunlop SP4000) tire on it('cause I got a deal:)...ALMOST a good tire-the wet road traction IMO is awful, when compared to some of the other tires I have used. If snow is not an issue, look at Yokahama "AVS db." I will go back to these on my next set of tires.
  • figmomanfigmoman Member Posts: 55
    I have a 98 xls that i bought recently with 39K miles on it. We have put 2400 miles on it and are happy with it except the loud bang or knock the suspension makes when hitting mild bumps. Its bad enough that i have riders comment on it. Today i jacked up the car by the frame and let the wheels hang down to maximum travel. i inspected the shafts of the struts and all seems fine. With the car on the ground, i jounced all 4 corners up and down as hard as i could. No noise. What is causing this bang in the suspension whit she slightest bump. Its like there is a bottoming out. The car does have 16 inch Toyota chrom alloys with Michelin XGT 4 P215/ 55R 16 tires. I know this could be agravating the situation. Is anyone else using 16 wheels and having this problem? I would not think 1 inch bigger wheel would make too much difference. I see the 2003 XLS comes with 16 inch wheels. Any input from people on this forum would be appreciated. Thanks Mike
    I had this same problem on my '98 XL. Edmunds has a place under "Maintenance" for "factory service bulletins"-FSB's. There is one for suspensions. There is some problem with the strut mounting brackets. You may need a copy of the FSB to convince your dealer. I priced replacement struts. They are not cheap! Hope this will help.
  • garycasegarycase Member Posts: 6
    According to our local dealers, they cannot order an XLS (bucket seats) with VSC (vehicle skid control) and the premium luxury package unless we get a sunroof. Closest they can come without a sunroof is with bench seats and without VSC. Seems Toyota has various marketing packages for different regions.

Anyone know an area where an Avalon can be ordered equipped this way? I'm rather tall and really prefer the extra headroom to a sunroof.
  • tbox1027tbox1027 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 03 XLS that I love and is performing fine. However, I have noticed after a couple of days a transmission/engine hum or whine when accelerating at a modest rate through the first couple of gears. This may have been there all along and I did not notice it as the car is really quiet otherwise and if I was not a quality nut would not have looked at Lexus and Toyota. Own other Toyotas and they seem to make a similar noise but I do not remember this from the test drive (25 miles) or owning it the first few days. I guess I am just looking for feedback on this being normal before I go through the hassle of taking it to the dealer to realize that my perception has changed and not the vehicle.
  • tbox1027tbox1027 Member Posts: 2
    MI dealers said the same thing when I recently purchased. I am not too tall 5' 8" but have a 6' 8" colleague that rides in the passenger seat with the seat in the full down position and sun shield back with no problem. But it is pretty cloudy in MI so glare or heat from sun has not been a problem. I have a friend in the SE US that has gotten his Toyotas slightly differently equiped in the past and have found Toyota.com willing to respond to your type of questions from the factory so you might want to try that assuming you have not already.
    My dealer didn't have a problem ordering my '03 XLS w/bucket seats with the GV pkg.(premium luxury pkg. w/heated seats) and CF(carpeted floor mats) He also told me I could get the VSC if I wanted, I don't think it's necessary with a front wheel drive.
    I didn't want the sunroof either because of the lost headroom. Your dealer may just be trying to sell you what he has already ordered.
    How much headroom is lost with the Sunroof.

I can't find it specified anywhere in my Avalon literature or web specs.
    Don't know the exact headroom loss, but, having driven Avalons with and without sunroofs, the difference is pretty close to 2 inches. I like being able to adjust my seat higher for better visibility and not brushing my head on the ceiling.
  • rdballerrdballer Member Posts: 16
    I found it very difficult to find a XLS without a sunroof and bucket seats and VSC here in northern CA. There seemed to only be one and it was a special order car for another dealership.

We ended up going for the bench seat XLS without a sunroof (at without VSC). We had a 2000 XL (no sunroof and bucket seats) that we gave to some friends of ours (long story). After just a couple of weeks without our 2000 Avalon, I found myself drawn to a dealership to purchase another one.

We've had our 2003 XLS (bench seat, GV, Z1) for 1.5 weeks and we love it. Driving around our Civic Hybrid in our less than flat area was not what I purchased it for (which was the commute to work).

I found that I could not sit in an Avalon with a sunroof. I would hit my head on the roof and I'm only 6'2". I tried sitting in a 2003 Camry and I hit the roof as well and even without a sunroof in the Camry I would hit the driver's side grab handle by the door.

The Avalon is the only Toyota sedan for me.

Robert
  • avalon22avalon22 Member Posts: 8
    I have found this board very informative and helpful in the past. Does anyone know if the 2004 Avalon is due for any major changes...i.e., interior and/or body?
    Also, does anyone have info. regarding whether the Michelin or Dunlop tire on the Avalon XLS is the quieter tire and which is better on rain/snow?
  • luffnuttluffnutt Member Posts: 13
    Looked at a Chevy Impala, a Honda Accord EX V6, but bought an Avalon XLS with 16 miles on the Odometer. The last two weeks of the year makes for some very interesting deals. My wife,s Cadillac rolled over and died. Tried to save it but it died anyhow. Liked the spritely Accord but felt it would be too twitchy for a long, all day drive, wanted something a little kinder for our old bones. Two days and 116 miles later, begining to think we made good choice. Will check message board for information in the Avalon Community. Have read most of the postings, and enjoyed them.
  • stmechstmech Member Posts: 19
    There have been messages posted in the past about year 2000 and later Avalon suspension noise, suspension bottoming-out with passengers in the rear, and too soft of a ride. In my opinion these are all caused by shock absorbers (i. e. struts) that are too lightly damped. This is not a flaw in the car nor in the struts. It is the way the suspension was designed. I believe that replacing the struts with new Toyota parts would make little, if any difference. Simply put, most customers for the Avalon are not exactly looking for a sporty ride. Toyota has probably made the damping pretty much the way most potential buyers prefer. Even when brand new the struts on my 2000 Avalon were under damped, allowing the car to bob up and down far too much (especially in the rear with passengers in the back) after encountering a dip in the road. I had expected to replace them with stiffer aftermarket versions. However, I have found this to be a problem because the producers of shock absorbers have not considered a sport version to be in very high demand for the Avalon. No doubt they are correct in that assessment. The most likely manufacturers of more controlled shock absorbers, Koni or Bilstein, do not offer any struts for the Avalon. KYB and Monroe do offer them, but their offerings seem to be pretty much original equipment replacements that would not necessarily result in much improvement from the originals. Improvement in this case would be defined as a more controlled, less bouncing up and down ride that the standard suspension supplies. Greater damping would also lessen the likelihood of bottoming out the suspension when passengers are in the rear. No, stiffer shocks are not going to turn an Avalon into a BMW, but they should make it more pleasant to drive.

Does anyone have any experience with either KYB or Monroe strut replacements on the 2000 or later Avalons? Any other strut/shock absorber brands?
    stmech-Tokico makes an "HP" strut set for the Camry/Avalon. They are probably the most performance oriented struts available for the Avalon(and Camry). I will put these on my 96 this week. My mechanic swears by them...I'll let everyone know! If you have a 97 or newer (same rears/different fronts), you may want to look at TEIN's, I spoke to them about my Avalon. NO 95 or 96 set in development but, They are developing a coil-over for the 97+ Camry...AND, the Camry struts (OEM) are the same part number as the Avalon. ie) They may fit and clearly be the best available strut/springset for the Avalons???
    avalon22-IMO, DON'T count on a major change in 2004. The "platform" just got a makeover(Camry/Avalon/ES300) Also, some replacement parts are already listed as fitting the 2004! See my post #1952 re: TIRES. Michelin is best all-around in my experience(400 thousand miles/10years). Quiet, good on WET roads, and fair in snow. Dunlops D60 A2 was also a good tire and a little less $$$(On my Camry and Legend). I notice better snow results, usually yields more NOISE! If you get enough snow where you are, a winter tire is your best bet.
    I can't seem to find an e-mail address for Edmunds, so I'll ask you readers. I have the Avalon Town Hall in my Favorites - but every time I go there, the messages end early (Dec.l6th). Then I have to "scroll down 20 messages", then hit "Subscriptions" to get the last few messages. Why is this?????

Question #2 - I want to change my Username. I have no idea how to contact them to do this.

Thanks for any input!
    G. Wachsmuth
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    As you have discovered, if you bookmark a specific Town Hall discussion and then use it to enter the TH, you won't be taken to the most current display.

That is because the URL you bookmarked (saved as a favorite) has specific directions about who you are and what message to go to.

There are many ways to find your way around in the Town Hall. I suggest you look through the Town Hall Help file which is linked on the left side of this page -- I think that will help you understand subscriptions and other navigational issues.

I can't offer you a one-click entry into this discussion, because our server just doesn't work like that.

Rather than continue here since this has nothing to do with the topic, why don't you email me (see my profile) or post in the "Ask the Sedans Host" discussion which is at the top of the display list accessed via the Sedans link here.
  • avalon22avalon22 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the input nomad56. As a follow up to my tire question.....is it possible upon purchase of a new Avalon to have the original tires changed to another brand? In other words, if the Avalon is equipped w/Michelin MXV's, to have them replaced w/Dunlops or any other brand tires or vice versa?? If possible, will I incur additional cost or can I just negotiate as part of the deal?
    My only experience with actual TIRE choice on a NEW car is when you select a dealer added WHEEL option...this may allow any tire and size you want.
    However, Since AVALONS ship with DUNLOP, CONTINENTAL, maybe some other brands????, you may convince the dealer to make sure your Avalon has the tire (from OEM suppliers) you want. ...ALL speculation on my part????
    Most dealers are willing to change tires for you if you wish, however, they do have to pay for the labor of the technitian doing the work. If you want to have them change them, it should cost about the same as a tire rotation x2 if they're just swapping the wheels and tires from another Avalon or mounting and balancing x2 if swapping the tires from one set of wheels to another as they have to do the work x2 to take them off of another car to put onto yours. Typically somewhere between $50 and $100.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • rrzeparrzepa Member Posts: 11
    I finally had the General Tire replaced with MXV+. Huge difference. I wish I had done this earlier. Also, the "drifting to the right"problem (duscussed here few times) seemed to gone away.

Shame on Toyota for shippig lux car (at least 2001) with such crap as General Tires.
  • kcoolkcool Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone determined a way to stiffen the suspension on the Avalon yet. I have an 01 XLS that the family will no longer ride in as it wallows and jostles passengers to the point of sea sicknes. In this case, if I can't resolve this with a suspension upgrade, I wll sell the car with only 12k miles on it. Otherwise its a great car. Does anyone have any solutions ?

Thanks