Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    For those of you who are debating, larger wheels and tires, here goes. I have a 02 Avalon XL. The only wheel and tire combo WITHOUT speedo error is the 215/55 16inches. These are the same size tire and wheel combo that go on the Mercedes Benz E class. With Tokico Struts to boot, the car rides noticably harder, tighter, and quicker. The steering is still light and fuzzy, as in all Avalon's. The tires seem to fit the car well but not perfect. The flairs of the fenders on Avalon's are not very, like many German cars or the Maxima so you have to be careful. Otherwise with the correct offset, they look and perform great. The slightly wider print does come out off the rear splash guard a little, and they seem to pick up every piece of road debris in their way.

XM stereo with the FM Modulator and a VSM(vehicle specific mount) is a nice addition when professionally installed properly. Highly recommended for highway drives.

Arthur
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I agree with you that the pre-04 Max is higher than Camry/Accord in class, and lower than the Avalon in terms of price (but not in terms of performance or engine sophistication). A loaded 04 Max, however, is priced about $38k, which is substantially higher than a loaded Avalon, and more luxurious and better equipped than the Avalon.

I also agree that the Avalon gives a more soft and cushy ride while the Max provides a more spirited and firm ride. The Avalon is a very good car (I crossed shopped it against the 03 Max) if one is looking for a quiet but not exciting ride. Like you said, the Avalon's interior is spacious, particularly the back seat, if you have big and tall passengers.

Surprisingly though, Avalon does not have folding mirrors and rear seats, which are common and useful features available in most all cars, including cars that cost thousands less.
  • jluther2jluther2 Member Posts: 18
    New 2003 with 1500 miles. Excessive wind/road noise (unable to pinpoint which it is) over 55MPH.
    Banging from rear end - sounds like car bottoms out.
    Could anyone help with suggestions?

Sticker Price was $33,619. - paid $29,700 in Norwood, MA
    Decent price??
    Thanks,

J.Luther
  • kicker9kicker9 Member Posts: 57
    Put your front drivers side window down and start accelerating from about 30 and you'll hear the wind noise from the large mirror, my only complaint from an otherwise flawless vehicle.
  • matthew525matthew525 Member Posts: 52
    Just completed a around trip to Indiana from Virginia = ~1500 miles. Ride was much better than the Caddy we traded-in. Not so much sway in the turns. MPG ~29 (average highway speed 73) and w/AC on and gradual acceleration. Two adults, one six year old, a weiner dog, and a trunk full of stuff. Handled great in the rain. I liked the auto wipers, but needed to pay closer attention to them in light, misty rain. Had Rain-X on the front windshield (great stuff). Seats were comfortable and adjusted nicely on the long six hour spurts. Acceleration was sporty, especially when driving up the mountains. Very pleased. Highly recommend.

Shocks are the same ones used on the Toyota Camry and Lexus ES300. A bad shock with Toyota saving the money across their models.

Change to Tokico Gas shocks all around. You will not bottom out anymore and a more controlled ride without being harsh.

A.Fisch
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    Did you get an answer? I had a 96 Camry Same problem I was told to buy a new gas cap and if that did not work get a purge valve. No mention of $600 I sold the car with the idea I would fix that part. Incidently I bought a Honda Accord because of the Toyota dealer arrogance and refusal to consider Edmunds price TMV also the Gray interior tuned me off. My 96 had 91000 and no problems until the last month MAY
  • dfurnierdfurnier Member Posts: 26
    Just made a deal on an 03 and wondering if "experienced" Avalon owners think an extended warranty is advisable. $789 for 0 ded, 5 yr 100,000 mi - Toyota Extra Care. I won't be finalizing the paperwork until Saturday.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    My 1999 XL was perfect at 92k when traded for an '03 XL. A stoplight bulb burned out..and that was it. These warranties are money makers for the dealers or whoever sells them. Most consumer groups and magazines advise against them. In a rare case, they have value, but usually they are a waste of money. Properly maintain a Toyota and chances are very small you will see any benefit from a 100k mile warranty.
    Hey Fin,

Thanks for the advice. I may knock it off the contract tomorrow.

Sounds like you rack up miles like I do. Did you get a good trade? With this whole car shopping experience, I felt I was getting shafted on the trade - 00 Civic LX with 79,000 miles, perfect condition. Only one dealer (VW) came close to KBB. Honda offered $700 below.
  • dshirshdshirsh Member Posts: 5
    Got my 2000 XL with the 6/100 Platinum. They had it priced at $850 and since I was financing at 6 years I went for it. Just had my car in for AC service a few days back. The AC wasn't cooling as well as usual and I was getting a whining sound under the hood when the AC was on. Ended up having to get the compressor and high-pressure hose replaced. Repair ticket showed about $800 in parts/labor. Didn't have to pay a dime. The warranty is a sweet deal when you need it.
    The 2000 XL is almost 3 years old and has 47K on it. Always garage kept and I live in PA. The extended warranties are usually a gamble but in this case I won (I think.....).
    Yes, the warranty is definitely handy if you need it. If you like total peace of mind, buy the warranty for sure. Premature failures do happen. And if you 36 month lease or use longer term financing, the payment is only a few dollars higher. It can be a tough choice if you intend to keep the car for a long time. Post your decision. and, no, I did not get as a trade-in value what the '99 was worth in a direct sale. But they had an loaded XL I wanted so it was my choice. Heck, I probably gave away the cost of an extended warranty... :-)
    I would tend to think that if a buyer was considering a used car he would prefer one which had an all-inclusive extended factory warranty. Definitely takes most of the risk out of the sale. Since most of them are transferrable it's definitely a sales tool. The question is whether you could realistically hope to recover the cost of the warranty. Certainly the car would be worth more but by how much.........
    Well, we went with the warranty anyway. I started to back out and they threw in 5 free oil changes. Since I really wanted it (for the peace of mind)...

And yes I'm hoping there will be some trade advantage in a few years. But, my trade was covered up to 100,000 as long as the dealer performed all the servicings, and it didn't appear to mean doo-doo (although I bet it'll be one of the first things said by the used car salesman.)
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    I assume the 2004 Avalon will have the 5-speed auto transmission currently available on the Camry as an option. This may be a valuable improvement.

I have just returned from a Kentucky-Florida 1600 mile round trip. On relatively quiet interstates traffic flow was at 70 - 80 mph, and the variable valve timing (VVT) on my 2003 XLS was remarkably smooth and comforting. Spurts to 85 or 90, however, were rather gradual (but still very smooth), and I was reminded of traditional American cars with their low-end torque but running out of oomph at higher speeds. Part of the problem is the 4-speed auto, where manually clicking off the overdrive was necessary for even modest acceleration at these speeds. By contrast our Saab 9-3 Turbo thrusts you into the seat as it rushes to 100 and far beyond (albeit with judicial downshifts to hit the turbo power band). On a number of two-lane highways I declined several passing opportunities because the oomph just isn't sufficient. My boy-racer days are clearly over!

Otherwise the car is a dream. After a 12-hour drive I emerged relatively fresh and with no aching joints or buzzy head.
  • travelerjbtravelerjb Member Posts: 46
    I travel for a living and this trip I'm currently on is my first really major trip. I have been covering Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Northern California. Today was the first time I experienced exactly what you described about the passing. In short passing ventures it's a breeze and one two three you're past the person in front. But today I bit a lot off when I went to pass no less than 3 slower moving vehicles at 55mph. I ended up at about 90mph but once I hit my stride the car was cruising and NOT significantly accelerating any more, so it had me a bit scared. Indeed My feelings are that the ONLY thing that could be a real big improvement in this car is a 5 speed close ratio gearbox and maybe even with the select shift idea. Oh well. otherwise it's just yummy...........
  • boordboord Member Posts: 27
    I have been reading about cars with manufacturer installed data recorders that are used by both manufacturers and lawyers to determine factors involved with accidents (speed, braking, etc).

Does anyone know if the 2000 XLS is equipped with such a recorder and if it can be disconnected legally?
  • kicker9kicker9 Member Posts: 57
    Has anyone experienced a problem with their express window switch? Mine has just started to work intermittently in both directions, the window still goes up and down, I just have to hold the switch some times, have not yet contacted the dealer, hope it's not like the toothache and the dentist.
  • ajacat1ajacat1 Member Posts: 87
    We're considering a 2000 or 2001 Avalon XLS with this option...Has anyone bought this package (it's standard in '03, I believe) and had it make a difference?
    Thanks in advance.
    in the postings..I see this has been addressed well. And here's another question: one person wrote that because of the oil "gel" problem, he wouldn't recommend buying any v-6 with the 8 year coverage certificate without all prior papers to prove regular oil changes. Our car is a "certified" car. I don't know what that implies about the 'gel' problem--what is people's experience with the certified program in this regard?

thanks, and sorry for the un-researched question before this one--
    and then that's it :)

Anyone got any advice on toyota dealers in the Pacific NW?

thanks again
  • gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    Previous posts lamented long lead times on factory ordered Avalons.
    My no option (except white)XL finally shipped on 7/3. Build date reported as 6/25.
    Expected at dealer around 7/11. Around 17 weeks since order.

I ordered because of my company's lease policy and because I didn't want to pay any options. If you want one, this is the hard way.
    Has anybody else noticed that the Avalon get's little or no promotion from Toyota or the dealers?.

Sunday Dealer classifieds tout offers on every product except the Avalon which isn't even mentioned.(Albany,NY).

I suspect that Toyota wants the KY plant making Camrys to assure the best seller title and that the Avalon erodes Lexus sales, hence the deemphasis.

There could be some credence to the runours about discontinuation or repositioning of the Avalon.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    I haven't seen an Avalon ad in 18 months. Never saw an Echo ad ever. Don't remember a Celica ad if there was one, or a Highlander ad either. I don't remember any recent Matrix ads since it's intro in 02 ( 03 models were made for 18 months ). The Solara is invisible and never used with the word Camry.

There have been ads for the Rav4, new Forerunner, Corolla from time to time, occasional Tundra ad, lots of Camry and 'Get the feeling' ads.

The Avalon isn't alone. Toyota ads are very targeted at new entries and high volume cars.
    For those of you who are discussing the 5 speed, you should know this.
    The 5 speed you are discussing is already in the Lexus 300. It got terrible reviews, clunking into gears. More does not necessary mean better, and a closer ratio would not enhance top speed performance. Middle speed passing prowess is secondary to the good torque characteristics of this engine. Poor passing at supra legal speeds, is secondary to, you guessed it, a rather average amount of horsepower for the size and weight of the vehicle, albeit, sometimes, at the expense of gas mileage. The new Avalon '05 show have the 330 hp engine in it to satisfy those who have a need for supra legal passing.
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    Abfisch is correct when he suggests that a silky smooth 4-speed is probably preferable to a clunky 5-speed automatic. I am not so sure he is quite so on target with his power and torque claims.

Peak power occurs at a specific engine speed - it has nothing to do with road speed. Similarly for peak torque - usually at a different engine speed. By the use of variable valve timing (VVT) Toyota engineers have succeeded in spreading the optimum power and torque over a much larger range of engine speeds. Abfisch is correct when he suggests that the Avalon focus is on smooth power at middle to upper road speeds, and not at high road speeds. Nevertheless, regardless of the targeted maximum engine output, the ability to use that output most effectively is significantly affected by the number of gears and their ratios. This is why older classic cars have 3-speed manual transmissions (or even 2-speed automatics) and modern cars have 6-speed manuals and 5-speed automatics. It is also one of the reasons why "drivers" prefer manual stickshifts over automatics -- an greater ability to control power and torque characteristics. The modern trend towards continuous belt transmissions (CVT) is a recognition of the value of exactly matching engine speed to driving needs (albeit with little or no overriding capability for the driver).

Having gotten on my soapbox it is only fair to observe that -- even with multiple gears -- improvements in response by the Avalon at high speeds would indeed be minimal. Contrast my Saab 9-3 turbo, which throws you back in your seat when you find the right gear at 85 mph.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I experienced owning a '99 Lexus-Certified RX300 (similar drive train to the Avalon) which began using A LOT of oil after 45K miles (4 quarts in 5,000 miles). No one would mention the dreaded oil gel issue - but I believe that was the cause. Prior owner missed an oil change (or two). This didn't become obvious to me until I reviewed the oil change records myself. I assumed when I bought it that if Lexus certified it that would require that all prior maintenance had been performed - WRONG! Well, I traded the car after owning it 2 yrs and driving only 20,000 mi.
    I'm not sure if Toyota and Lexus have the same requirements for the Certification process, but I would assume that they are very similar. I continue to believe Toyota and Lexus have outstanding cars, but they're not perfect. Toyota/Lexus spend a lot of time informing the public of the importance of consistent and frequent oil changes - take them at their word.
    My advice is to insist that you can review and prove to yourself that all oil changes have been performed - or you are taking risk. There may be good reason why someone else traded in that used Avalon.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I believe that I read awhile back on the ES board that the newest versions have upgraded software, and the hesitation during passing kickdowns is markedly mitigated. Also, the Camry V6 got this trans in Feb, and I have yet to see/hear any complaints. It would seem, in my opinion, that the bugs with this transmission logic seem to have been worked out.

~alpha
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I bought one earlier this month that was manufactured in March '03. I haven't noticed any of the issues with hesitation or vibration that were posted earlier.
  • wachsmuthwachsmuth Member Posts: 19
    Hi, all - Have had my Avalon for 5 months now, and at the first oil change (3,000) miles I used Mobil One Synthetic - with great results !
        Now, at 7,000 miles, I'm going in for another change & have a question....I'm considering synthetic transmission oil. Has anyone out there ever used it? Any advantages to using it? How many quarts does it take?
        Just noticed today, a faint rattling noise when using the accelerator - not every time, just intermittently. Oh boy, and I thought my car was perfect.
        Thanks for any input -
                         Gerhard
  • travelerjbtravelerjb Member Posts: 46
    Your timing is good. I put just over 1200 miles on mine and had my oil dropped and had Mobil One fully synthetic put in. While I was at it I got the Synthetic ATF put in as well. They had me bring them 12 full quarts of the stuff (not cheap I might add) as they had to drain (more like suck with some new machine they have in their shop)all the old fluid thoroughly and put in the new stuff. So far so good. It lowers the operating temperture beyond that of the standard fluids and also lowers friction while eliminating the typical foaming and breakdown common in standard fluids. I suspect in the long run it will pay for itself. I like the fact I caught it new as well instead of waiting for wear to occur...........
    For anyone of you, whose steering wheel shimmies at 50MPH or above, and may or may not vibrate when the brake is depressed, I have found the answer. The car was taken to Toyota of Newburgh, New York several times. Tires rebalanced, new wheels placed on, realignment, etc. Still the wheel shimmy. Dealership documented that the brake rotors met specs. Well. not really.

We took off the rotors this weekend, and put the rotors on a lathe ourselves. The left rotor was fine but the right one was moderate-severely warped. Sweeetttt!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is after 4 trips to have them diagnosis and fix it. Sweettttt.

The Toyota Corp. will be contacted in the next month. I will keep you posted when I place the steel wheels with the winter tires back on and recheck it for additional vibration problems.

A.Fisch
    For those of you owners who enjoy music, this accessory might be the ticket. We added two months ago a Delphi XM stereo unit, with an FM modulator to the JBL stereo. Mounted the docking station with a vehicle specific mount, just to the right of the radio at a 45 degree angle. Magnetic antenna to the roof. Very very sweet, without commercials for people who drive or commute long distances or times.

A.Fisch
  • sunshine60105sunshine60105 Member Posts: 129
    When do the new 2004 Avalons come out? Can anyone tell me if they're happy with their Avalon? I am leaning towards a Avalon or a Highlander! Thanks! ;)
    You seem to appear every summer considering a new Toyota vehicle. Do you really buy and trade this often? Wasnt your most recent interest the Camry?

Going to back to Avalon v. Highlander- what are your priorities?

~alpha
    Finally picked took delivery on my XL comapny ride-

- solid, smmoth quiet- will be a great long distance runner.

- Diamond white pearl ( or whatever they call it)is worth the extra.

- Car comes with Continental "touringtrack" tires.
    Based on experience with my wifes Volvo and a colleagues Camry , I don't expect much life from these. I 'll rotate every 5k but don't expect much more than 30K, any suggestions on replacements?

- for all you "oil gelling" afficaionados - there is a warning card inseerted in the warranty booklet.
    The Continentals on our Camry were trash after 30,000 miles. Well, they were trash to begin with, but you get the idea.

Replaced them with OUTSTANDING Pirelli P400 Tourings.

Best of luck with your new Avalon!
    ~alpha
    alpha,
           I didn't know that you take such priority in bookmarking what everyone does.... If it's any of your business, which it's not. I still have the 94 Camry, and I was waiting for all the bugs to be out of the new remodeled Camrys, but they've seem to be not as reliable as the other camry models. I swear by Toyota, I think Toyotas are reliable,I think they're great, so pardon me for wanting a reliable vehicle.
          Why do you come in here so much? Trade often or buy often ? LOL.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Sunshine, we have lots of regular folks hanging out here - including you, it would seem. :) Lots of us just enjoying talking cars whether we are in the market at the moment or not.

Don't take offense -- we try to help and it's easier to help when we understand where the folks asking for help are coming from.

: )
  • matthew525matthew525 Member Posts: 52
    Dollar for dollar either is a good auto, rides well, and nice creature comforts. We're 9K into our XLS and I enjoy driving it when the wife allows me to do so. Almost all vehicles in this range are good vehicles. I was looking for dependability, dealer service, and how the dealer treats us. Give the XLS a hard look before settling on the XL. Good luck
    We've had our XL with options (a bit over $30k MSRP) for 3 weeks and we like it very much, particularly the comfort. Our only regret is we didn't spend a few thou more for the XLS. It appears to be a lot more car for the money. But since we were looking more in the Camry price range, we didn't want to stretch quite that far.

Probably the biggest option to us not available on the XL is heated seats. Since I commute almost a hundred miles daily, they would be much appreciated during our Wisconsin winters. Anyone know anything about having them installed third party? Our salesman suggested we check it out - he recommended someone in the area that does it.
    I'm not sure whats up with your attitude, but I certainly wasnt trying to personally attack you, I was just asking questions to better understand your situation. If you werent looking for help or suggestions in coming here, I'm not really sure what you were after. I certainly dont bookmark certain posts or people, but your unique SN and inquiries on Toyota, I remembered you.

With respect to your question, yes, I and many people I know buy and trade often, and Edmunds Townhall is an outstanding resource. I would like to consider myself an enthusiast, and I gain a lot of knowledge from the posters and hosts here.

Thats where I'm coming from.
    ~alpha
    Have posted many times that my '99 XL was near perfect for 92k miles. Traded for an '03 XL, fully loaded, because I wanted the cooler perforated seats, not available on XLS. But, if resale is important, a basic XLS is a much better value than a loaded XL. Check out the values on Edmunds or KBB web sites. And the XLS has several things the XL does not offer. Either way you get a great car. My highway gas mileage on the '03 is still not up to 30 mpg yet like the '99, but it is a much improved car, all things considered. Only oil changes and tire rotations thru 20k miles. Enjoy one...
    I don't have an attitude, but things are sometimes taken wrong on messages boards, and I took your comment wrong, and I appologize for what I said to you... :( I don't want to argue with anyone in here, I just want to find out what I need to find out regarding the Avalon and Highlander before I make my choice...

I thought that I was all set with waiting for a year till all the bugs in the new remodeled Camry came out, but It's I read in the consumer guide and also in the message boards on Edmunds and it doesn't sound to reliable.
          Again, I appologize for my comment that I made to you, I realize that it was nasty, and I appolgize and I am embarassed. I didn't know that so many people in here come in here for pure enjoyment, alot of exhusiasts, and people that come in here for help regarding their future purchase and their minor problems....

I have alot of stuff going on in my personnal life, I am house hunting, I am car shopping, and I appologize for snapping at you. If you choose to ignore my posts ;then, that's fine, I don't blame you. However, I am appologing, and I am sorry for snapping at you.

Where I am right now, Is looking at the Highlander and Avalon. I really like the Camry, but I am scared of it because of all the stories I've heard.... The Avalon and Highlander have minor errors that I can live with. I really would like the Highlander,and I was ready to get the Highlander, but I could only get leather if I got the limited and the Limited is close to $36,000, and I refused to pay for a limited just to have leather. Therefore, I guess If I run into the same problem ;then, I'll just get the Avalon. I'm in here to see if they're both as reliable,so that I can choose either one with peace of mind and ease.
            Again, I am sorry for snapping at you. I do realize that everyone has something to deal with in life, and I'm no exception.... My appologizes to you.
    Sunshine6105. :)
    Seriously, don't worry about it. I know how it goes, and I'm sorry if my comments were unclear or came across in way that could trigger a defensive posting.

With regards to Avalon/Camry/HL, one thing you should consider is that most of the Camrys and all of the Avalons are made at the same plant in Kentucky. Certainly, it is true that the initial Camry launch was not as flawless as are typical Toyota introductions, but I am reasonably confident that most of the Camry's bugs have been worked out, as it has been on the market for 18+ months now. If you look on the Camry boards, I think you will find comparatively fewer complaints for the 2003 vs. the 2002.

Given that you are looking at HL and Avalon, my guess is that you'd be choosing an XLE V6 Camry, and there are a few benefits to this model over the Avalon, the most major being available side curtain airbags, if you are into the safety side of things. The Camry V6 also now has an enhanced 5sp automatic transmission, and is a newer design than the Avalon. Most likely, given similar levels of equipment, the Camry XLE V6 will be less costly up front, and if you are still uneasy about the Camry's reliability, you could get an extended warranty with the money you save, and probably still have some left over.

just my .02
    ~alpha
    For those of you who tow light trailers or want to transport skis/bikes in back of the vehicle and not on the roof, Draw Tite makes a Class II hitch that fits very nicely to the subframe.

The hitch is templated with holes, as only two additional holes are needed to be drilled. The hitch is very well hidden under the rear skirt of the Avalon, and all you see is the receiver. If you do it yourself, you might want to spray undercoating on it, to prevent it from rusting through the years.

There is also a module for trailer lights, bought separately that is easy to hook up . Best to route the wire inside the car and not out.
    Alpha,
           Thanks, you gave me alot of food for thought... :) I'll type you a post sometime this week or weekend with my thoughts and questions. :)
    Sunshine60105! :)
    To answer the problem, of #2299, I had a problem early with the express switch. I, not the dealer, diagnosed it correctly. The window seal in front, has a small guider on it. If it is deformed, the child safe device triggers, releasing the window back down. Check the deformation of the seal around the window, and bring it back to the dealer if the vehicle is under warranty. Hope this helps.

A.Fisch
  • founda98founda98 Member Posts: 11
    I have the exact problem detailed in Message #83 under Avalon Maintenance

Can anyone report what the actual problem & cost was to fix?