Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• fatguycarfatguycar Member Posts: 38
    "Well, when our employee sat in the car the vehicle involuntary moved forward and didn't stop, even for the red light.

They all do that, you know."
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    By now I hope that you already retained an attorney. This red light-running incident can and probably will make your insurance company raise your rates. This is a moving violation and whether you were the driver or someone else may be of little consequence to your insurer. Your attorney will go to bat for you with all parties. In addition, you might be able to get compensation from that dealership. Just make sure they don't dupe you into offering you free maintenance and car washes.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    In Ontario, Canada, red light runners caught on camera are not subject to higher insurance rates. It's like receiving a parking ticket. The violation is against the vehicle, not the driver. Many consider it a money making scheme (like photo radar). The only time it will affect insurance rates is when the driver is caught by a police person and receives a traffic violation in his/her name. It may be different in the state in which you reside. Contact the municipality and/or your insurance company to confirm. A costly lawyer may not be required.

I agree with the others, there is no reason for any employee to be driving a client's vehicle at that time of the evening. It should not be difficult to prove that they are responsible for the ticket. They have already admitted that one was forthcoming. The employee may have been less than truthful with the employer (the Toyota dealership) when explaining his side of the story. He should be reprimanded (unless it was approved by the service manager or owner). You should also be compensated for the stress and inconvenience incurred.

Also, I would suggest that you pay the fine yourself (assuming they will give you the amount required) to insure that it is paid. Or, demand proof that they have paid the fine within the alloted time. Good luck.
  • kozakidkozakid Member Posts: 16
    Apparently the laws regarding camera-caught red light runners are precisely the same here in Georgia as they are in Ontario. I called the city police twice and was assured both times that my insurance rates would not be affected, since the violation, as you noted, is treated as though it were a parking ticket. One of the officers told me that my insurance would be affected -- again, as you say -- only if I were to be stopped by a policeman.

I plan to call the dealership tomorrow to let them know that I have received a ticket and to discuss the matter with them. I feel that I should receive some sort of compensation for what was done. And I'll make darned sure the fine is paid on time -- by February 25th -- either by Toyota or by me.
    I finally called the Toyota dealership today and talked to the woman at the service department who had warned me a couple of weeks ago that I might be getting the traffic ticket. I told her the employee had run a red light, not a yellow light as she had told me, and she answered, "I know."

I asked her if it wasn't unusual for employees to be driving customers' cars after hours and she replied that, actually, it was not all that unusual. She said that whenever she leaves for home in the early evening some of the guys are still working -- which presumably means they might be out "testing" automobiles.

I then asked her if 11:02 P.M. wasn't a bit late for their guy to be out in my car, and she said yes, 11 o'clock at night was quite late. She then told me that she was certainly going to "ask some questions" and that she would talk to her boss about the situation. (Perhaps that means her boss doesn't already know about it.) I guess she'll let me know how this matter will be dealt with.

I told her that if I ever bring my car in again for service/repair I definitely do not want employees driving it after working hours. Her reply was that she understood how I felt.

She asked me to forward the ticket to the dealership where it would be taken care of promptly and I would be provided proof of payment. But in case Toyota doesn't get back to me I'll call the police department in a few days to find out if payment has been received.
  • berobberob Member Posts: 35
    Shortly after starting my "new" 2000 Avalon, I hear what sounds like a brief "electric motor" type noise. It only lasts a second or two, it seems to come from behind the dash, and it sounds sort of like what a power mirror motor sounds like. I hear it 2 or 3 times and then that's it. Any idea what it is?

Also, some part of my stereo system cuts out briefly from time to time. I can't tell where its coming from but its almost as if the stereo sound disappears. It might be that I'm losing a speaker, but I just can't tell the source. The sound goes from being robust and full stereo sound to quieter mono sounding. Again, any ideas here? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
  • nomad56nomad56 Member Posts: 134
    berob-the noises you describe sound like you have automatic climate control....the system makes adjustments to the gates that direct and MIX the airflow...at startup, the car is not really prepared to warm your cabin, so it makes a few revisions to the airflow and air MIX. Look at the indicators on your AC control panel to see if they change with these noises...

STEREO-I need more info. Are speakers cutting out(turning off), or do they just sound that way?-muted/muddy. Is it possible that at the occurance of the problem the only thing you are hearing is the sub-woofer??? -nomad56-
    I notice that many ads for Korean and similar cars claim that "comparably equipped" models cost much less than a Camry. The intimation is that you pay too much for a Tier One import.

This doesn't take into account the high depreciation on Korean cars. One car that costs "$2,000 less than a Camry" depreciates $2,700 more in three years.

Other problems include expensive costs to run - one SUV manages 15 mpg city, 20 mpg highway, whereas the Highlander uses 18/24.

Although there are longer warranties on the Korean cars, the Tier One makes have a record for reliability. A typical difference is 5 years/60,000 miles against 3 years/36,000 miles. The 10 years/100,000 miles powertrain warranty are often not transferable to subsequent owners.

So the conclusion is that buying a Tier One car may be cheaper than a Korean car (and that extra on the purchase price you only pay once) - and you get the pleasure of driving one of the better cars in its class.

Don't get me wrong - I think that Korean cars against American cars shows that Korean cars are the better bet. But they're not a real competitor for the Tier One cars.
  • 1stavy1stavy Member Posts: 18
    I'm currently taxing my research skills to come to a decision on what car to buy. I have a 45,000 yearly commute in a Northeastern state. My current car is a '95 Avalon XL with 252,000 highway miles on it that still rides like a champ and has never stranded me or needed more than fluid changes, preventative timing belt change, battery, brakes. I have access to auctions, thus lower prices and am considering a step up in comfort without risking reliability. I've test driven a '99 GS 300 and '99 Es 300 both have great amenities and qualities but not enough room in back seat for my three kids. I can get 1997-1999 Lexus LS 400 from $15k-$19k w/45k+miles , 2000 Acura RL w/ under 35k miles for $17k and under, 2000& 2001 Avalon XLS w/30-40kmiles for $16k-$20K. I've wanted the LS400 for years now and hope to test drive one soon but am very impressed with the Avalon ride and amenities for the price. My mantra is to get the best deal for the money. Is it unreasonable to think that I could expect to get close to 300,000 miles from the Acura RL, LS 400 and 2000-2001 Avalon with routine maintenance? Am I incredibly fortunate and unrealistic to think that another car can hold up under the strain of such a commute? Your opinions and expertise are most welcome.
    Thanks so much for your thorough reply. I think you're right on about the noise I describe. I do have automatic climate control and the noise I'm hearing does sound like it could be the system adjusting the gates and the air mix.

As for the stereo, I'm having trouble determining if a speaker is actually cutting out or if the problem is something else as it is random and only happens occasionally. It does kind of have a mono, muted, muddy type sound but then quickly returns to normal? Are you suggesting that the subwoofer is cutting out or is something else cutting out leaving me only with the subwoofer? Is any of this a common problem? Is there an easy fix? Thanks again.
    berob-the muted muddy sound is indicative of the AMP cutting out. Since the SUB-woofer is self powered, that is what you are hearing when the amp cuts off. It will sound like mostly bass, NO high frequencies and vocals, if any, will be distant... is this close???? -nomad56-
    berob

Turn on your ignition, but don't start the engine. Then press the button that controls whether the air is recirculated or comes from outside. You should hear the kind of noises that caused you concern.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    To 1stavy:

Congratulations on getting that much mileage out a car. Obviously you drive in a reasonable manner and perform all required items in the logbook when it says to perform them. Several others who post here will probably agree that this high mileage is possible, but very rare. The average driver cannot come close to the miles you mention without a failure of something, however small, under the hood.

My only comment would be this: It's *your* money, buy what you and your family can use and enjoy. There is no loser in the cars that you named as a possible purchase. All have great records. Find one at the price you like and buy it.

For me, I'm on my second Avalon. The first was perfect and new-car smooth at 92k when traded. Perhaps others here will offer more thoughts... Enjoy your purchase.
    Sounds like you've nailed it exactly. What's the fix? Anything I can do myself?
    berob-the "do-it-yourself" solution is: 1)Check ALL connections (PLUGS) in the system. ONE on the back of the radio, FOUR on the AMP itself-which is located behind the glovebox. 2) Once you've gotten this far(your dash/glovebox is dismantled), you will be able to see the AMP. If ALL connectors were tight, I am "guessing", there is a short in the AMP. Try this-Turn the stereo on and tap/knock on the amp, to see if this instigates the problem. Otherwise replace the AMP...eBay is the most economical source, if your Toyo is out o' warranty. Repairs on these amps are generally $140. -nomad56-
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    1stavy:

Interesting post. Got rid of a 90 Civic about 1.5 years ago with 236K, sold to a soldier here on base, ran perfectly, all my own miles, then bought an Avalon. Long trips made my back hurt or would have kept the car. Actually better build quality in that than my 02 Avalon, with many less samples defects. That being said, if you old Avalon with 250K still works great, and it does NOT hurt your back, and can support your family, I don't think anything in NEW cars have chanded that drasitcally to warrant another used car purchase. You have a used car that works well. Why mess???

I thought about getting a used Lexus 400 instead of a NEW Avalon but I choose the later for the follwging reasons.

1. I hate those old telescoping antennas, especially in the NOrtheast where you are from. They ALWAYS jam, with salt and roadgrime and were a poor design in my mind for day one. The newer antennas whether rubber roof mounted or window incorporated are just more durable.

2. The used Lexus would be RWD, (in snow country), eats more gas, tires aizes are larger as well as cost to operate. True dual exhaust is definetly an expense when you are to replace it. No bench seat offered in the Lexus.

3. Lexus is no more, no less Reliable than a Toyota. The fit and finish may be better, but statistically from CR, it goes Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Mazda, Subaru, etc.

The Acura RL is a nice car but not as much interior room as I had hoped for, and Acura dealership are not abundant as Toyota dealerships are when in the rare instances I must use them.

Again, not the gospel. Just my take on why I decided on the Avalon new. If I was in your shoes, I would put the cash into a CD or ST Bond Fund, use the old Avalon, replace the parts with superior ones when replacement time came or OEM parts depending on the cirumstance, and wait them out until your old car did not perform its \function.

abfisch
    I'm glad that you saw my post. I have read many of your suggestions(excellent) and had hoped that you could render your opinion on my situation. Your observations are quite accurate and you built up to a good watershed point that I could keep plugging with the '95 Avy until it fails to be worth the trouble. I have been considering that also. Maybe the catastrophic repair that I dread could be around the corner won't come due to my diligent upkeep. I can probably drive it another year or so before the lure of the newer bells and whistles on an equally reliable car becomes too strong to resist. I probably should invest in a CD changer and relax. Thanks again.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    You answered my question without me asking. I have a '95 Avalon with 130,000mi that I bought new. I wondered how many miles to expect, since I have taken good care of it with frequent fluid changes, etc. I guess from your experience, I should expect many more.

Anybody out there with more than 300,000 miles on an early model Avalon???
    I have a '97 Lexus 300 (many parts in common with the Avalon) which my wife drives. It has 150,000 and shows no sign of not being able to double that number.

I recall at one point in the early nineties Toyota had an ad which featured owners and their trucks that exceeded 250,000 miles. If I recall correctly the highest mileage was 420,000. Given better rustproofing and the easier life of sedans 300,000 miles is doable.
    The Toyota dealer where mine is serviced claims to regularly service at least three Toyotas in the 200k plus range but none are Avalons. Not really a surprise given the number of Camrys out there. He also claims to see others with 200k plus, but not regularly. No mention of 300k on anything. Toyota is one of the best car nameplates sold in America. Hard to go wrong if you take care of the car.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    My wifes 2000 XLS was purchased recently from a local Toyota dealer. It had the sound fading issue as well. It seemed as if a little elf was inside the head unit slowly adjusting the fader from back to front. It was subtle, but noticeable. We had the dealer replace the head unit and it stopped. I am not sure if the amp is a separate piece or if it is attached to the head unit.
  • 32caddy32caddy Member Posts: 22
    My wife's 95 just is turning 200,000 miles! A few body problems, but that's all. Plan to keep it till June 05 when she and the car will retire!! PS Do you think that T will ever get radio/ temp controls on the wheel??!! They also need a POWER lumbar - both front seats.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    let's remember that this is a discussion dedicated to a single vehicle, the Avalon. I hope that anyone interested in a specific comparison of the Avalon to another vehicle (or multiple vehicles) will hop over to our Sedans Comparisons board and fire up a new discussion.

It sure looks like there is an interesting conversation to be had ... let's just have it in the right place!

:)
    Just my luck that my power steering pump developed a major leak and will be replaced today. My mechanic will charge me $450 for the pump,labor and an oil change. When I told him that he is the main reason I'm at 253k, he corrected me by explaining that my car cruises at 5th gear for 1.5 hours each way on my commute and never overheats then he joked that my checkbook is the reason I've reached 253k. I am newly committed to reaching at least 300k before moving up to 2000 LS or 2001-03 Avalon XLS.
    The cassette on my stock radio/cassette has stopped working and my replaced antenna can't pick up AM without static noise that increases commensurate with my depression of the gas pedal. Reminicent of my old 71 Buick Skylark from High School(now that was a smooth ride). I simply must have an installed CD player! Any suggestions for a good audio system with CD/cassette/radio? Can you have XM and CD and cassette at the same time? Is the OEM CD player for a 95 Avalon decent?
    This morning I called the Toyota dealership and talked to the service manager. He told me that the ticket for the camera-caught red light violation had been paid on Friday. He thanked me for calling, but that was all he had to say. He was obviously in a hurry to hang up. I then called the police department and the woman I talked to verified that the ticket had been paid. So I guess that's the end of it.

Maybe at some later date I'll talk to the service department employee who had warned me that I might be receiving the ticket. Maybe she'll tell me if any action has been taken regarding the employee who ran the red light.
    1stavy-Yes AM/FM/XM tuners with CD and Cassette are available. Sony (WX4500) has one around $350, but it is SILVER???? Pioneer (FHP4100) makes one too. Both are dbl din and should fill your radio/pocket space. OH, and they are ugly..seriously, check 'em out. You may just want a boom box and disco ball.

I recommend trying to do without the cassette. ...even books on TAPE are on CD! That will open up your options. There are several AM/FM/XM/CD SINGLE DIN units to choose from...then you would have the pocket below the radio.

If you HAVE to have the cassette, you can get the above combo with cassette instead of CD, but it will usually have CD changer controls.

Of course, a factory unit will not have XM, but you can get AM/FM/CD or AM/FM/CD/cassette that will plug right in. Be sure to get the correct harness type, there will be one of two different plugs behind your stereo, which leads us to...

***An important issue to address is whether or not your car has an AMPLIFIED head unit, or an EXTERNAL amplifier. This will affect the ease of installation.

I have done a lot of audio work on Avy's. Let me know if you have any Q's. -nomad-
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Happy to see that the ticket was paid. I would still like a copy of the receipt for my own records. A reputable Dealer should have no problem providing you with one (the ticket was in your name). A written or verbal apology would have been a nice. At minimum they should have offered you one or two free oil changes. It appears they want to sweep the incident under the rug. Makes me wonder how honest they are or what they are trying to hide.
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    I'd go on the assumption that the dealer is not honest and is trying to hide something. I'd also take my business elsewhere. To set some kind of precedent, I'd write a detailed letter to Toyota Headquarters.
    1stavy:

Thanks for your nice words above. Your new $450 steering pump etc. bill, should not disuade you from keeping your fine car. Although nomad56 has given excellent info. on aftermarket radio replacements, I cannot tell you how much I enjoy the Delphi XM radio with installed last year in this Avalon. This is the unit that you can take out of the cradle in the car and put in the cradle in your home to enjoy it as well. The install was a little above my head so I used a well qualified, meticulous automotive electrician. This install is not for the weekend golfer!!! However, it is so enjoyable I cannot say enough about it and the install with something called a VSM(Vehicle Specific Mount), made especially for that particular vehicle and coupled with an FM modulator,so absolutely NO wiring shows make it very attractive. No commecials as of March 03. The antenna install is roof mounted, magnetic base, and we ran the wire on the right side of the back window rain gutter, under the rubber trunk seal (black siliconing along the way) and then through the trunk along the car up to the front, taking off interior panels very very carefully when warm. Never work with plastic when it is frozen or you will be snappin and a poppin stuff. Anyway, worth it in my opinion, more than a new radio. Especially in colder climates, the cassete and CD mechanism seize, even the best of them. This has no of the trouble of those mechanisms, and the selection is outstanding. You can put it in your next car as well. Not sure if the 05 (which I would NOT buy until the 06 model/Never BUY a NEW model no matter how improved!!!!Ressist at all temptation!!) is going to have a SAT (satellite ready radio) but since Lexus has it now, my bet is the new radios in the Avy's will be SAT ready (XM is what Toyota/Lexus uses not Sirius). One caveat is that it is polished metal trim and would look better in the trim of the original car but I am more into function than trim(I cannot take wood applique and then to pay for it-disgusting!!) Just my taste, not the gospel. Different strokes for different people. Same with the wing on the back of the trunk and gold lettering ain't my bag either. Many people like that though.

I don't think your auto tranny in your Avalon has a 5 speed but I could be wrong. I am sure for the new 2005 models will with the new 3.3L engine as the Camry and Lexus 330 have now.

Ask your mechanic to replace your power steering fluid reguarly, approx. every 3 years with your tranny fluid since it Toyota uses ATF in the power steering also, at least in my 02 model. Double check to make sure, but you will not be going through pumps, lines or tramsmissions. It is easy to do yourself too, just pump the stuff out of the reservoir, get out the air and replace with new high quality ATF (mine is Dexron III).

We took a trip to Canada and I could not believe how many different cars had stone/bug detectors on the front hoods!!!! Do anyone know, since Radar detectors are illegal in Canada, if they have to be taken out of the car, or can they still be keeped in the car, just turned off.

Love this form. Lots always learned. Let the form know how many miles you get out of that baby.

"Feed the forum"

abfisch
  • mcescher1mcescher1 Member Posts: 37
    I would like to improve the sound system on a 2003 Avalon XLS. I have access to high quality amps and speakers and, if necessary, front ends. All that I have been able to find out so far is that the four door speakers are six and a half inch round speakers. Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the tweeters and the woofer? Also, more importantly, does anyone know the impedance of the various speakers, so that I don't end up with a mismatch. Finally, has anyone removed the front end and replaced it with another unit, that is, are there any technical booby traps that one should be aware of? Thanks for your time and consideration.
    Thank you both for your advice. The fear of an attempt to steal the nice audio systems you mentioned scared me into buying stock for my old Avy. My next car will have a security system and one of the nice systems you both mentioned. I purchased a new Toyota factory CD/Cassette/AM/FM/ Shortwave radio for $175 from ebay. I belatedly pulled my old system and found that my connection is a 15 pin instead of the 10 and 6 pin set up of the new system. The seller assured me in a later email that I too have a 10 and 6 pin set up and I would have to find it as it's attached to my amp. I, the novice, need big help finding said amp. If I've been led astray can my system be retrofitted/re-harnessed to fit my new CD player's application? Your sage advice is welcome. Also seeking advice on recent trouble with door lock that won't release rendering passenger front door shut solid. One last lament, in following abfisch's advice to replace with superior parts, is there a suggestion for a good muffler? The quest for 300k continues, I'm now at 256k.
    1stavy-NO! Your car will NOT have the 2-plug "speaker level" plugs at the amp. The AVY does NOT follow the same wiring protocol as most other Toyo's. Even if it did, the "factory" amp, is behind the glove box and a little tough to get to/run wires to. It makes WAY more sense to get a NON-amplified stereo that fits your car...one that will just plug in. NOTE: 15-pin is the older pre-amp interface. ie) A radio from 97-98(transition) and up will fit the opening, but will NOT plug into it. Let me know if any Q's. -nomad56-
    Thanks for educating me Nomad56. I'll see if my wife's '95 Previa will accomodate the new system and reaccess my audio options taking your earlier and later info into account for my Avy.
    1stAvy:

Here are my opinions:

1. The Delphi XM radio I was referring to, can be taken out of its cradle, stored or used on your home stereo or boom box. It can also be used in another car that is set up appropriately.

2. Mufflers and assoc. tailpipes, believe it or NOT, are the only thing that I like to have a Toyota Dealer replace with factory parts, not aftermarket. Why...Becasue if you buy a replacement from them and they put it on, it is guaranteed for the life YOU own the car, replacement free, time and labor. Honda, had to do it on my Civic, as I went through three in 236K. I think their part, at least for the 00-04 model years, are tops in quality. I do NOT however, think their OEM rotors, pads, nor struts are premium in any way, especially considering the prices they charge. So...replace the exhaust pieces, with theirs and let them do it.

abfisch
  • warakawaraka Member Posts: 10
    I have been doing an Avalon Vs Accord EX-V6 comparison and I must say the Accord wins handily. Both cars have approximately the same interior and exterior dimensions and my wife is in love with the Accord’s NAV.

To me, the Accord's exterior styling is much more aesthetically pleasing than the Avalon, its handling is crisper, and it has a more powerful V6 engine and is at least $4,000 cheaper than the XLS.

Both cars are well made, and based on past experience, should provide years of trouble-free driving. Would any of you Avalon owners be kind enough to persuade me to buy an Avalon? I am in my mid-fifties and drive approximately 8,500 miles per year.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Both are nice cars. To each his own on style. Neither are that good to me. The Avalon is quieter and has more rear seat leg room. Personally, I find the Avalon interior warmer. Both should be reliable. The V6 Accord is quicker and has a sporty feel compared to the Avalon. The Avalon has a more isolated ride (great for long freeway trips). The Honda (Alpine) nav system is very good and intuitive. The Avalon is an old design vehicle compared to the Accord. The next generation Avalon will probably be a step up from the current model with respect to performance.

Have an Avalon and am very impressed with the quiet and comfort. I like the extra rear seat leg room. A/C has been outstanding and mpg better than expected. Performance has been fine. It is no race car, but it accelerates well from a stop and passing on two lane roads easy.

Also have a Honda vehicle (MDX) with Honda's Alpine nav system. Drove several new cars a few weeks ago and the voice activated nav system in the Acura TL (similar to the Accord's) was the best. I found the voice activated nav in the Toyota Prius was not as intuititive, but still okay. Have not seen one in an Avalon.

Ride, quiet isolation, and room - Avalon
    Nav, feel, and zoom - Accord

The older I get the more important ride, quiet, and room become and the less important feel and zoom become. A good nav system is addicting and I now want one in each car.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • mcescher1mcescher1 Member Posts: 37
    Is there a sludge problem on the 2003 Avalon XLS with the 3.0L 1MZ V-6 engine? Has anyone figured out why there is a sludge problem on some Toyotas? My extended warrantee (100,000 miles, 7 years, platinum) excludes coverage of problems with sludge.
  • tmp89169tmp89169 Member Posts: 9
    The avalon has the electronic controlled transmission with intelligence. Could someone give me some insight on the logic or smarts in the transmission or computer? How can I tell if that part is actually working or not? I can't tell if my 03 avy. has intelligence or not.
                                 Thank you tmp89169
  • wachsmuthwachsmuth Member Posts: 19
    I've been hoping to see an answer for mcescher1 concerning sludge - I also have a 2003 Avalon, and change my oil (Mobil 1) every 5,000 miles. Sure hope this prevents sludge, if that problem is not under warranty! Has anyone had a problem with this????? Thanks !!
         If you want to read Avalon history on the topic of "engine sludge" you can scroll back thru past messages on this board. There are numerous postings on the problem. Opinion varies, but the sludge situation generally seems to be old news at this point. My '99 XL was flawless and had no sludge at 92k miles when traded for an'03 XL. The dealer checked the car completely. Never used synthetic oil. But some who post here use the stuff exclusively.
         Maintain your Avalon by the book and you will likely not have a sludge issue, especially in the newer models. Enjoy your Avalons...
    wachsmuth: By using synthetic your are less likely to have gelling (oil break-down - sludge) because synthetics can take a lot more heat before breaking down. Changing oil frequently, as you do, will most likely prevent sludge even with a good grade of regular oil. Toyota is not the only manufacturer that has had oil break-down problems.
  • fred3fred3 Member Posts: 10
    I'm looking to buy a new Avalon. One problem I face is that my wife has an allergy to the smell of leather seats, so I need to get cloth seats. I'd also like to get vehicle stability control on the car.

Problem is that, despite Toyota's literature saying that cloth seats are available on both the XL and the XLS, and saying that the stability control is available is available on both the XL and the XLS, I am told that, in my region (New Jersey area), i) stability control is not available on the XL, and ii) stability control is available on the XLS only with leather seats.

Does anyone know whether there are other regions where cloth seats and stability control are available on the same car, and, if so, what are my options for buying from a dealer in those regions and getting the car somehow sent to NJ?

Thanks.
  • lidolido Member Posts: 7
    Just wondering if anyone has had any of these things happen and/or has advice.

1) My Avalon fairly regularly has the airbag light go on when on trips that are over an hour or so. It's not every time, but more like every other or third time.

2) Every once in a while playing the radio or a cd the volume will dip and then come back up a few seconds later. It's not huge, but it is noticeable.

3) Ever since I've had it it cranks a little long in my opinion when starting.

4) Whenever the sun is pretty much overhead there is a bright reflection of it off the plastic where the black part in front of the clear display part meets and then off the windshield right in your line of sight.

5) The other day I went to start it after work and it just wouldn't stay started. It wouldn't idle. It was like there was no gas getting to the engine and the engine sounded a little scrapey like something was holding it from going. I stepped on the gas and started it repeatedly jerking it out of the parking space and around the lot for a few minutes and then it started driving ok again.

I took it to the dealer for items 1 - 3 while it was under warranty, but they said they couldn't find anything wrong. I'm thinking of taking a picture of the airbag lights being on and bringing that to them, but I don't know what to do about the other stuff.

-Lido
    Fred3:

Welcome to the Avalon forums. I can only give you my opinion and not the gospel. Toyota often advertises things only to find out that you cannot get it in your region. They, a caring dealership, can preference order the car for you although you might have to wait awhile (3months). My brother had to do this to get a Matrix XR with air bags and ABS. Call the corp. to find out about preference ordering and a dealership that will not blow you off.

Second, do you mean Skid control or stability control. I believe they are two different electronic mechanisms, for stabilizes the vehicles via brakes and reducing wheel spin. Which one are you referring to or both??

Third, I have an 02 XL. I bought the XL to save the 4K difference, and added things I wanted, among them TokicoHP stuts and a set of 4 Michelin Artic Alpin snows mounted on additional wheels. I no longer have any problems with the car leaning or diving when braking nor do I have a problem with snowy conditions, all without electronic devices which can brake and have sometimes marginal capability. Try to get what you want first, but there are other ways to make it happen, that might also save you some money.

Hope that opinion helps a little.
    Good luck.

"Feed the forum"

abfisch
    A friend tried to get a Corolla with ABS and side air bags. Not available in region even though it could be ordered that way. The dealer tried the preference order route and also made calls to Toyota. My friend called also. No luck. Gave up after four months and bought a Honda Civic - with ABS and side air bags - right off the lot.

As long as Toyota is selling every car they build and demand stays high, there is little incentive for Toyota to change.
    Fndly:

Good post. Nothing wrong with switching to the Civic, IMO, a better car than the Corolla. My brother had the same problem. Very frustrating, however, finally fought a dealership that would do it, and has placed an order in for a Matrix XR with SES and ABS. I will rewrite the forum to see when and if he gets it.

abfisch
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Can anyone tell me the basic difference between the XL and XLS versions of the Avalon? Bought a 2000 and really don't know what the S adds or takes away from the XL.
    In short, the XLS is the luxury model, an XL with more little things to give you pleasure. Examples: auto temp control, lots of "wood grain" inside and different spoke wheels. All standard. A stripped XLS is a better buy new than a loaded XL as it has higher resale later for the same price when new. The engine and all other major parts in the cars are identical. Options change each model year and the XL continues to pick up more standard items. But the XLS always has a few things not offered on the XL. Enjoy your Avalon. Great cars...