Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• rbacsafrarbacsafra Member Posts: 85
    Sorry about that. Yes I found that post you did back in March or April was it? But anyways...I am just disgusted with one particular lady and couldn't recall if you were aware of the problem or not. I remember reading your post back then. I'll just let those who choose to make their argument about their irresponsibility until their face turns blue! LOL

Anyways...can you tell me if the headlight assembly of the 98-99 fit the 95-97 Avalons?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I'm not sure on the headlight issue. I know the basic shape is the same but there may be differences in the mounting brackets.

As to the sludge "issue", there was one gentleman who had a genuine issue but the others who piled on made absurd statements poisoned the Camry topic for months. They were finally asked to start their own topic and I declined to participate in it.
  • hoang4hoang4 Member Posts: 10
    I assume that you are a car salesman sinc eyou said "your Avalon sales.."
    Anyway, I am a 23 yr old recent college grad who wanted a luxury car but was too po to afford a GS 300 (my first choice) and wanted more for my money then a BMW 3 series. Anyways, can you tell me if I got a good deal on my car?
    2001 Avalon XL with package 4, JBL stereo system, autodim rear view mirror, moonroof, leather, etc.
    for 27,500 including tax and destination.
    I'd really like to know since I bought the car kind of at the spur of the moment.
    Thanks!
    by the way, I live on the east coast near DC.
  • thepope1thepope1 Member Posts: 23
    Hoang4 - If you live in the D.C. area, you may have missed a good bet if you didn't visit (our helful friend) Cliffy at Springfield (Virginia) Toyota. Shame on you.

rzep2 - Interested in 'extended warranty'? Check out that very title on internet search. Also check Edmunds for recommendations. But, why buy now?... when most good providers will sell you one right up to 1,000 miles before your Toyota full warranty expires.

Did I 'hear' someone say transmission problems with the 2000-2001 Avalon? I went through pure h--- with the trans on my '98 Avalon. My present 2000 XLS has been smooth as can be, to 5000+ miles. Anybody else having such trouble?
    Without knowing the tax rate in your state, it is impossible to know if you got a good deal or not. If you live in VA or MD, let me know and I'll back up the numbers and let you know. My guess is that you did quite well. If you titled it in another state, let me know the amount you paid in tax and tags.
  • zeddzeddzeddzedd Member Posts: 9
    I have driven Seville's since 1977 and thought they were good until I bought a 1992 Lexus SC400. That purchase taught me something about car quality I needed to know "All cars are not slammed together haphazardly". But my love was to be short lived as winter in Wisconsin is not the place to be with a SC400. So I dumped it and bought another Seville. I now had something to compare it to and next to the Lexus it was a piece of shXX. I sent a letter and pictures to the president of the Cadillac division of the poor fit and finish of the Seville. (They don't get it)
    So now I decide to buy a 2000 Avalon XLS and after 6 months I have not had a single mechanical problem with it. I told the service manager that I didn't believe it. Not to say there aren't some quirky things about the Avalon I don't like but no way near the issues I had with the Seville.

Today we had our first major snow and the Avalon handled like a champ although the skid indicator comes on when you accelerate on slippery roads and is disconcerting the traction system works beautifully.

I tried the brakes on a slippery but empty road and made a 90 degree turn while the brakes were locked up and the car handled perfectly.

Avalon needs:
    A telescoping steering wheel for tall drivers.
    A better shield over the instrument panel to keep it from reflecting on the windshield.

I would consider the Avalon to be superior to all of the 7 Seville's I have previously owned.
  • hawiianavownerhawiianavowner Member Posts: 76
    The weather notwithstanding, be glad you don't live in Hawaii. There is only one company that operates the local Toy dealers, and this monopoly adds on what it wants. In my case, a 2000 XL, bench seats, no leather, no autodim mirror, no moonroof,no free oil changes...the rest the same as yours including the final price.
    I agree with zeddX2 xcept I never had a Seville to compare with.
  • bobtensbobtens Member Posts: 3
    Cliffy, on your note 461 you pegged the demographics perfectly for me. I wanted a good quality car but did not want to be too showey to both friends and fellow employees. I bought an XL with upgrades that I felt was a fair price. The XLS is nice but not worth the extra price.
  • ssrincssrinc Member Posts: 2
    I love my Avalon but feel it necessary to alert my fellow users to a recent experience. My wife was "t-boned" by a 17 year old going very fast. Bottom line, broken ribs, glass in face, 10K plus in collision work and NO SIDE AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT. Factory rep says car was not "hit right", his words not mine. I beg to differ. Will email pix of damage if there are any doubts. You be the judge. Fact is they are replacing everything on the side of the car around the "sensor", including the side the pillar between the doors it is mounted on. Just thought people should be aware of this.
    Greg B
  • tadychtadych Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to purchase a 2000 or 2001 Avalon. Will there be a fix for the reflection in the windshield coming soon. I didn't notice any when I tested it a while ago, I guess I was too taken by the dash design. Did notice that the windows fogged up, cool night, four in car. Looking at a Lesabre Limited, wonder which will be better in the long run. clarkjudy@hitter.net
  • sranger94sranger94 Member Posts: 18
    Ssrinc,

Sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like the side air bag did not function as it was supposed to. You may want to go to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)website at www.nhtsa.gov and register a safety complaint about the fact that the air bag did not deploy. If enough complaints are received, the government may open up an investigation which may lead to a safety related recall depending upon the governments findings.
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    ssrinc, I'm very sorry to hear about the accident. I hope your wife gets well asap. I personally have witnessed a pick up truck (F-150) being t-boned by a semi at an intersection (it was the semi's fault--he ran over a red light). I was only 2 cars behind the F-150 on the same path (talk about luck!). Witnessing the event from seconds before impact until the F-150 stops spinning is horrifying. Ever since that event I always quickly check left and right before going through a busy intersection especially if I'm going from red to green at the very front of the intersection. Anyway, for the rest of us, becareful when crossing busy intersections especially going from a red light. You may be doing everything right but someone else might be careless and you end up getting short end of the stick. Drive safely.
  • hoang4hoang4 Member Posts: 10
    i live in maryland and have 5% sales tax on the vehicle.
    by the way, how does a car need to be hit in order for the side airbags to deploy?
    Your deal borders on the unbelievable. At $27500 including MD taxes, you paid about $26055 for the car. That is remarkable since invoice on one without the moonroof and leather comes in at $25088. I don't have one in stock with those features but I know the extra equipment would put the invoice over $26000. Either you got a stunning, once in a lifetime deal or you missed something on your buyer's order.
  • lrshellrshel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Avalon XLS with 19000 miles, and have had no trouble. One of the best auto's I have ever owned.
    However the trip computer bugs me. The average MPG, average trip time, & average MPH reset each time the key is turned off. These items should be manualy reset only, You cannot measure these items on a long trip as most of us take a break every two or three hours when on a long trip.
    My local dealer is not interested in trying to help get around this problem.
    Has anyone out there found a solution? I am sure a small wiring change could correct this.
  • ssrincssrinc Member Posts: 2
    Apparently your car must be hit at very close to a 90 degree angle as possible. I can email you pix that show what will not deploy it.
    Greg
  • mariner28mariner28 Member Posts: 4
    I have just ordered a 2001 XLS. This reset business is disturbing. Is this normal, or is yours wrong?
  • seryleseryle Member Posts: 2
    Perhaps someone can help with this. I bought a 2000 XLS in July. I've been pleased with the car overall, but after 3 months I started hearing an occasional noise in the driver's seat (the sitting part, not the seat back). It typically happens when I'm steering the car to the left (either shifting lanes or making a turn), and my weight shifts to the right side of the seat. The sound is a single, distinct snap (or tap, clack, pop, whatever). I can feel the louder ones with my leg and it seems to originate in the forward, righthand corner of the seat. My impression is that a piece of the frame is shifting and striking the rest of the frame, or maybe sliding into a socket. A quick upward bump (like driving across a seam in a parking garage) can sometimes cause it to happen.

I took the car to the dealer who had it inspected by a third party repair person. According to them, it was the Lumbar Support mechanism which they lubed and 'buffered' (I assumed padded). They also said the mechanism 'had some play designed in it', with the implication that there wasn't anything else they could do with it.

When I left, you guessed it, I heard the sound again within the first or second left hand turn. Has anyone else run into this? Seems like the Lumbar support should be at the back of the seat, not the right front corner. Sorry about the length of the post but this thing is driving me crazy. Any help or insight would be deeply appreciated. I'd like to have a suggestion about what they should look for before I take it back to the dealer. Thanks again for the help.
  • schnemanschneman Member Posts: 2
    How does this deal sound?

2001 XLS, CF - Mat package, GV - Package 7, SR - Moonroof, VD - Traction control, DEALER INSTALLED - door edge guards, wheel lip mouldings, stipes...

$31000.00

I think it is about $575 over invoice. Of course they still make 3% on holdback.

Please tell me what you think... ASAP!

Thanks to all who respond!
  • thepope1thepope1 Member Posts: 23
    I posted this message a few days ago and it disappeared from the screen.????? Perhaps the site manager has a thing against this item.

I'm looking for a (clear) bug deflector specifically made for the 2000 Avalon XLS. Anybody out there had any luck for this item?
    Thanks for your help and everybody have a great holiday season.
  • gilsandygilsandy Member Posts: 1
    I had a problem with the drivers seat in my '98 XLS. When I made a turn (left hand like yours)seat felt like it was sliding and it made a clicking noise. They replaced the seat bracket under warranty and no problems since (approx.2 yrs)
    Good luck
  • ingatetwoingatetwo Member Posts: 13
    I have a '96 XL. Using "65" tires. Husband says that the speedometer reading is off by 5mph, as he tested it on the highway using the markers posted there. Is this really likely? Thanks
  • mgmoymgmoy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Avalon and have a two minor problems and a new problem
    with the brakes. Minor problems: 1) passenger temperature control knob
    was difficult to turn. Dealer replaced cables and controls. 2) Driver's door
    switch doesn't work in cold weather (25F). Dealer has ordered switch.

The new problem is that the brakes make a grabbing sound on a wet
    day. The problem clears up after using the brakes a few times. I did
    notice that one of the rotors had a few circular marks about 1/4 inch
    on it. I plan to call the dealer about this tomorrow but was wondering
    if anyone else has run into this problem.

I'm pretty happy overall with the car though. My previous car was an
    Audi Quattro which was a great car but required fixing all the time
    and there isn't anyone competent locally to work on the car.
    Speedometers generally have a 3% margin or error. That being said, your husbands test method should be correct but there is only one way to really know for sure. It involved using a hand held GPS. I've done this with my Tundra and found less than a 1% error at most speeds. If you have the original tires on the car, you should be in the same area.
  • rzepa2rzepa2 Member Posts: 24
    I have 2001 XL, 2 week old ... 500 miles
    I am getting 17mpg... I live in Chicago
    suburbs. This measurement was based on 80%
    city driving with the heater on ... still seems
    kind of low considering 21/29 mpg sticker

Any thoughts ........?
    How did you calculate it?
  • rzep2rzep2 Member Posts: 2
    Filled up at a given pump,full tank. Reset trip meter 1 to 0. Drove
    for a week and a half. Fuell guage showed 1/4 left, trip meter
    was ~200 miles. Went back to the same station,same pump,
    filled up full. Fuel pump showed ~12 galons.

Within the 200 miles, I went on hwy couple times. estimate ~50 miles.
    Well, you're doing it properly. The reason I had asked is that many people don't and think they have worse mileage than they do. There could be a few reasons for the low mileage, not the least of which is the oxygenated fuel that is used in many parts of the country this time of year. Give it some time and see if things don't improve.
  • schnemanschneman Member Posts: 2
    How does this deal sound?

2001 Avalon XLS, carpeted mats, package 7, Moonroof, Traction control, DEALER INSTALLED - door edge guards, wheel lip moldings, strips

$31000.00

Based upon information here on Edmunds the price is about $575 over invoice - PLUS they still make 3% on holdback.

Is this as good a deal as one can reasonably expect?

Please tell me what you think... ASAP!

Thanks to all who respond!
    Sounds great! What state is this deal in?
  • vdavittvdavitt Member Posts: 1
    I've had my Avalon since April 1997. No problems.
  • barrympfbarrympf Member Posts: 1
    My new 2001 Avalon wanders (especially to the left) when I drive it - especially at highway speeds. It is very hard to keep it going in a straight line. It is very disconcerting to drive. Has anyone else experienced steering problems? I have had the tire pressure checked and it been re-aligned twice.
  • rross6rross6 Member Posts: 2
    Me too! It's driving me crazy, constantly fighting this car! I took it to the dealer and complained, they said the alignment was perfect. Their answer to the problem was to rotate my tires. It did _not_ fix the problem...

I have the 2000 Avalon XL. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Otherwise a great car.

rross6
  • mgmoymgmoy Member Posts: 2
    I was getting better mileage in the summer and fall, about 27 - 29.
    Now it's around 25 - 26. Could be the cold weather or could be the
    oxygenated gas. I noticed the same thing with my previous car.

I un unleaded regular all the time. I experimented with special
    when I got the car in the spring. Made a difference in performance
    but no difference in mileage. I find that the car has plenty of
    pickup with regular and don't see a need to use the higher grades.

I do about 25%/75% city/highway
  • jlind1jlind1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a rattle in driver side of the dash . the dealer said they think it is the windshield and it needs to be re packed . anyone heard of or had this problem
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    I read some other post about a rattling Avalon windshield. That person discovered that it was the plastic grill on the outside of the windshield, under the wipers that were rattling, and nothing inside the car. Apparently some foam rubber fixed it.
    Just a thought before you pull your windshield out!
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    I'm getting ready to purchase an Avalon XLS and am debating whether or not to get the Vehicle Stability Control option. Has anyone had any experience with it and does it work well (and worth the price)?

Also wondering what the preferred method of purchase is with you guys - local dealer, direct via internet, etc. I'm in Dayton, OH so the competition isn't terribly great.

Thanks,

Patrick
  • jljlindajljlinda Member Posts: 7
    Picked up my 2001 Avalon XLS with Vehicle Skid Control system last month. Have driven about 3100 miles and the "check engine", "VSC" and "VSC OFF" lights all came on at the same time. The dealer could not determine what is causing the problem. They reset the lights and before driving 1/2 mile after leaving the shop, all the lights came on again. Any other owner have the same problem? If so, what was the cause? Also, the service manager emphatically stated that the VSC system still is working, even though the VSC OFF light is illuminated. Does anyone know if the service manager is correct about the VSC system still working when the light is on? (Just found this board as I tried to "research" my VSC problem. GREAT SITE!!)
    I like VSC. I've played with it a good bit and can attest to how well it works. The deal is though, it is nearly useless on dry pavement. When I went to a Toyota "ride and drive" I had the opportunity to drive on a closed course or pylons. I tried as hard as I could to engage the system. I finally did it but it turns out that I was the first salesman to ever do this. Over 1300 salesmen had tried before and couldn't drive it hard enough to engage it. I was driving like a maniac.

Wet roads are a different story. It works extremely well in preventing understeer and will keep you in much better control. As to its value, that is up to you and a realistic evaluation of how and when you drive.

I have had a customer that had a problem with the VSC. Within the first 100 miles on a new car, the check engine and VSC lights came on. We reset the system and it happened again. I can't remember what the exact cause was but I believe it was actually a vapor sensor in the gas tank. It had nothing to do with the VSC but it tripped the VSC light anyway. Have the dealer read the code and fix whatever caused it to come on. My customer had no further problems after this.
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    Steve ("Cliffy1"), is there any place to put in suggestions for future Avalons? I really want my next car to have "HID"/Xenon headlights. Sounds simple, since even some lower-end Lexi offer these... I'm still about eight-ten months out from a purchase, likely will wait for the '02 models.

>Mike<
    I wish there was some sort of suggetion box. I know Toyota does extensive market research including focus groups but I don't know how a person could get involved in that. I don't know how far this would get you but you might try calling 800-GO-TOYOTA and asking them.
  • indyoindyo Member Posts: 5
    yes my car drifts left too. still happens after an alignment. i thought i was the only one!
  • pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    This may help solve the dilemma. Have the dealer service crew check the gas cap, and make sure it's on tight.
    Had the same problem with our 2K XLS; it took less than 5 minutes to reset the instrument panel code-- after the gas cap was found to be loose enough to trigger the warning lights.
    Otherwise, our Avalon is a very impressive car in all respects. Hope you have similar results with yours.
    And Cliffy, many thanks for your informative posts to this topic--It's not often that people who sell cars have the kind of integrity you seem to have.
  • parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    Cliffy,

I'm ready to purchase my 2001 Avalon XLS - are you aware of any incentives (either cashback or financing) that will be offered in January? I'm trying to decide if I should wait a week to see if anything becomes available, or go ahead and buy now.

Thanks,

Patrick
  • cblake2cblake2 Member Posts: 53
    To: alt.autos.toyota; alt.autos.toyota.camry

The quality (or lack there of) issue in the Toyota is significant. Toyota's hallmark has been long-term reliability. I believe this is NOT the case now. It may well be a myth perpetuated by Toyota. Owners are likely to have false hope based on this myth.

Did you know that some owners are experiencing sludge in the engine and being denied warranty claims? Did you know that these same owners are paying $5,000-8,000 for new engines? Did you know that some 2000 Sienna owners are having torque converter replacements within the first few hundred miles of driving? Did you know that others have had total transmission failures after after a few thousand miles? Did you know that there are other problems common to this vehicle? Have you had:

1) Persistent drifting/pulling to the left or the right
    2) Uneven wear of tires with need for early replacement
    3) Premature brake component wear, including rear brake drums
    4) Power steering problems, including inner tie rod or total rack and pinion replacement
    5) Vibrations, esp. at speeds above 50 MPH
    6) Premature transmission problems or failure
    7) Torque converter replacement, sometimes just after delivery
    8) Sliding door latch problems with sticking and difficulty opening
    9) Oil sludge in the engine related to a contaminated system

IF you have experienced these problems, please write to the following agencies and file a report detailing your case. THEN, network with others by visiting sites where owners post experiences.

U.S. Department of Transportation
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    Office of Defects Investigations
    NSA-10.01
    400 7th Street, NW
    Washington, D.C. 20590

1-800-424-9393
    1-888-327-4236

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Center for Auto Safety
    1825 Connecticut Ave., NW
    Suite 330
    Washington, D.C. 20009-5708

http://www.autosafety.org

The Complaint Station--click "T", then "Toyota"
    http://www.thecomplaintstation.com

Car Trackers Discussion Forum
    http://www.cartrackers.com

Phil Edmonston's Lemon-Aid Car Guides
    http://www.lemonaidcars.com

Also, use the USENET groups:
    alt.autos.toyota
    alt.autos.toyota.camry

Charlene Blake
    cblake@erols.com
  • pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    Sounds like a disgruntled Toyota owner with an axe to grind (Imagined or otherwise).
    A tad more fact and much less innuendo might lend some badly needed credibility to the so-called problems noted in the above!
    A visit to several more accepted websites (JD Power for example) might be in order to put ludicrous and malicious claims like this in their proper perspective!
  • jmbkljjmbklj Member Posts: 19
    In Sept I took delivery on a 2001 XL which was ordered with exactly the options I wanted. Got a good price and an efficient, straight forward, no hassle deal working with the Internet Manager at Kings Toyota in Cincinnati. His name is Mike Rutherford. Give him a call and tell him that Kathy in Columbus recommended him. Phone is 1-800-526-3518. Or just send an email to the Internet Manager. Email address at the dealership is kingstoyota.dealerspace.com. I knew exactly what options I wanted. It was the best car buying experience I ever had. I also tried all the dealerships here locally. Their prices were much higher and they tried to do all the horrible, typical car sales tactics.
    Just look at the ridiculous and repetitive posts in the Sienna threads about her problem. she THINKS she has a sludge problem but doesn't really know if she does or not. She's the only that cries wolf about the sludge topic. If you read previous threads about sludge...shes the one on top of it sounding like a broken record...repeating her argument over and over and over again and time and time again...she is just ignored. LOL I'm sure if she had a Mercedes Benz or a Rolls Royce, she'd complain to BBB or NHTSA or whoever about why their cars cost too much or some ludicrous idea like that. HAHA. Do like everyone does and have been doing...IGNORE CBLAKE. Her statements have no credibility because SHE THINKS that she has problems and doesn't really know that for a fact.
    is a well made engine because I know several people with high mileage Camry 1MZ-FE V6's with no problems. My friend's 94 Camry Coupe with the 1MZ-FE has over 110K miles and no problems. Another friend has a 94 XLE V6 with 149K miles...no problems and a person I know of has 125K miles on his 95 Camry Coupe V6. This particular engine have been out about 6 years now...and if this engine is so called "FLAWED" why haven't these engines of the cars described above failed yet due to sludge...along with my 83K mile Avalon??? Most likely...the one who THINKS she has sludge or has had sludge problems in their engine is "FLAWED". It's proof positive whether you own a $10,000 compact economy car to a $300,000 exotic sports car, that regular and timely oil changes prevents MANY if not ALL problems the longevity of an engine. CBLAKE chooses to ASSUME things and THINKS she has a problem with sludge in her van. She doesn't know for a fact she has this problem or not. The sad thing is if you agree with her, she will be your best friend, but if you disagree with her..she will discount you from her buddy list. That really breaks my heart...boohoo. Her stories don't add up. Basically in her view, shes right and the rest of us higher mileage 1MZ-FE V6 owners are wrong. Now who are you gonna believe...A person with experience with this V6 engine in their car or someone who THINKS they have problems because she read something off the net? LOL
  • sobright1sobright1 Member Posts: 78
    I am in the market for a new car and have considered a new Avalon, a Maxima, and the new Hynudai XG300. My father recently bought an Avalon and is very happy with it. Because I usually pay cash then drive em till they drop I am studying each of these cars carefully. Frankly, some of the attitudes on this forum disturb me. I do not know cblake2 but have read her many posts, particularly at the thecomplaintstation site. What is disturbing is that some happy owners are so quick to discredit anyone who might have a problem with their Toyota. If cbalke2 was the only one complaining of the sludge problem it would be easy to write off the problem as a fluke. However there have been a disturbing number of other complaints with similar problems. All of these people swear that they followed the recommended maintenance yet were faced with large repair bills, under warranty, that Toyota was at best reluctant to honor. Are all of these people liars? Possibly, but why are they more probably liars than just victims? One seemingly knowlegable owner even went so far as to have his oil analyzed which showed water contamination leading to the problem. I also have a personal friend who owns a 99 Camry with a problem with the front strut. This is another well documented problem that several other Camry owners have also had. He has been waiting for a new strut literally for months and months. Though his Camry has been otherwise trouble free, he has had it with Toyota on this matter and vows to never buy Toyota again. While not every other Camry owner has this problem, just because he and a few others do doesn't make him a nut case. Doesn't cblake2 deserve the same benefit of the doubt?