Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    My apologies in advance, but I cannot answer the specific question emphatically. However, current aftermarket cruise control systems won't work with drive-by-wire fuel systems because the throttlebody doesn't have the conventional linkage set-up. The throttle is opened by a motor and has no direct connection to the accelerator pedal. There would be no mechanicals to attach the cruise control servo to.

But, Nissan I'm sure builds a cruise control for that engine. In most contemporary designs the main engine computer now controls the cruise control functions. In the drive-by-wire systems I'm familiar with, instead of a vacuum operated servo to move the throttlebody linkage, the engine computer sends a direct signal to the throttle motor.

It probably could be done, but the engine computer may be different, the cruise control switch and associated wiring may be missing since it wasn't originally built with cruise control.

Whether this could be resolved by your dealer is still another question. I know it shouldn't be this way, but the degree of skill and talent may be missing in order to accomplish this satisfactorily.

Now, Nissan may make their own after sale version of cruise control, in which case it likely is very do able.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    Check your owner's manual. I have a 2003 Focus and it says to not calculate mpg for the first 3,000 miles. Well, I did and it ran 22+ v/s 25-30. It wasn't until after 4k that the mileage increased to 25mpg. The car is not driven hard at all. You probably will get better mileage as the miles pile up. How did your previous car's mpg compare to it's EPA? Do you drive for economy or for "fun"?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I have a '03 GXE and am still unhappy with the mileage at the 7k mile mark. Am lucky if I get 25 in all city driving, stop and go. Not as good as the 2 previous Corollas that I owned. But, the ride is so much better than the Corolla and the brakes are excellent.
    I guess there are some trade offs with all these cars. Am going to call the dealer on monday to find out about 3 safety recalls that MSN notified me about.

The Sandman :-)
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    My '93 Sentra (GA16 motor) at 116,000 miles was giving me 23-25 mpg with a 1.6 miles work commute and lots of around town driving. It was never as good on the highway as my wife's '89 Plymouth Acclaim with the 2.5 engine, believe it or not. Of course, one day I noticed the vehicle weight on my registration and despite being a much smaller car than her Plymouth, it was only 170 ounds lighter.

I loved my Sentra. I don't know how the new ones are, but I've looked at the interiors and they sure are a lot more pleasing than my '93.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    25MPG in all-city isnt THAT bad.... the EPA city cycle, if you read up on it, is pretty unrealistic (and part of the reason why the hybrid Toyota Prius gets a higher MPG for city rating than its highway rating- speeds are low enough such that the gasoline motor rarely activates). For example, if you look at the Consumer Reports "City" data, which represents a much more extensive test loop than that used by the EPA.... it is almost ALWAYS a good deal lower than the EPA figure. In any case, MPGs should come up a bit after the first servicing at 3750 miles.

Ampa- In which region are you located. Sentra 2.5S models are much fewer in selection compared to the 1.8S here in central Jersey, but there are still several around. A good bet may be to email the dealers, via Nissan's corporate website that you visited, and ask them when/if the Sentra 2.5S will be allocated to your region. If they feel you are seriously interested, they may offer to do a dealer swap, help in your out of region search, or "order" the vehicle for you.

~alpha
    Sandman- for reference, Consumer Reports tested the Sentra 1.8L engine(with auto trans) at 18 city and 36 highway on their test loop. They put overall fuel economy at 26 MPG.

For reference, the current Civic EX 1.7L (127hp) auto and Corolla 1.8L (130hp) auto both returned 29 MPG overall on the Consumer Reports test loop, and are at the top of the mainstream small sedans for MPG, of the cars CR has tested.

~alpha
    Thanks for putting this all in context for me. Having owned 2 previous Corolla's with the auto tranny, the mileage seemed to be much better than my auto GXE.
    I still think the GXE rides a whole lot better, but it could be because of the 15" wheels. And the brakes are far superior also.

• tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "Sentra 2.5s In Stock ANYWHERE?"

Dealers prefer to push the higher profit Alimtas, so they don't order the Sentra 2.5s. :(

I only seen 7-8 in the Chicago area listed in Nissan's website inventory lookup.
  • regoretteregorette Member Posts: 2
    You all having given me some great info. I just want to say thanks for the time you all spend helping out others with all types of questions. I really like the Nissan Sentra 2004, just very unhappy with the MPG. We have had the 2000 Altima, 2001 Frontier, 2002 Xterra and the 2004 Sentra is the only one I have had any issues with.
    Our Altima is not as fuel efficient as the 2 previous Camrys that we had. I really think Toyota does a better job with squeezing out top mileage from their engines in most of their model lineup. We've just had to change our mindset and not think about the little things that bother us and just enjoy the overall Nissan experience.
    Now that we've done Toyotas and Nissans, our sites will be set upon Hondas with the next go round of new vehicles come 2006.

• 98pontiac98pontiac Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all who responded. It's an automatic, and the dealer doesn't install aftermarket. My nephew (a mechanic) says he doesn't know of aftermarket cruise for drive-by-wire, because with drive-by-wire, there is no throttle cable to make conventional cruise work.
         I find it unbelievable a major car manufacturer would make a car without cruise that cruise can't be added to! I thought it odd the car had all other options, but no cruise, even got a price from an aftermarket place (for a 2004 Sentra) before we bought. But when we called to schedule install they said "2004 Sentra? No can do."
         Looks like a good entrepreneur opportunity, but not if computer has to be replaced! Surely it would have been smarter of Nissan to include this popular option on all models? Or at least disclose it can't be done. Kinda sours our "Nissan new car" experience!
         Good luck Steven, I hope you find a different answer.
    I dont really feel that cruise control is a make or break feature for most of the Sentra's target market. If you think about it, it wasnt really even a make or break feature for you, since you still bought the car, despite its lack of cruise control. That said, Cruise Control is available on the 1.8S in the "Road Trip Package", which most of the 1.8S automatics in my area have. Best of luck in finding a solution to your quest, and please continue to post on this thread with updates on the performance of your car even if you dont (find a solution)!!

~alpha
    I got this on my '03 GXE and am quite pleased, especially with the stereo/cd...it really rocks!
    Like the tail lights and the new steering wheel on the '04 1.8s, but one can't have it all.
    Got stopped by a cop on the way home, had the stereo cranked and never saw him as I flew through a yellow light. He let me off with a warning, he said he clocked me at 59 in a 45 zone...this car can really move!

Maybe your lead food is hurting your fuel economy!! (Just a little light hearted joking).

Question- How is the 04 steering wheel different? More noteworthy improvements, IMO, are the better quality, more attractive seat fabrics and slightly revised stereo controls. I personally prefer amber turn signals, feel they are safer- not an issue that would prevent me from a purchase, but something I do notice.

~alpha
  • mr_digby1mr_digby1 Member Posts: 7
    Well all, my schedule is on for getting the cruise control added...I'll let you know if and when it's done and the result thereof. Hey Sandman, I know you were joking about the fuel economy with lack of cruise control but the truth is that Cruise control can hurt miles/gallon since it kicks into a lower gear (higher RPMS) when going up a hill to keep the same speed whereas when we manually ease off the gas and allow a little loss in speed, we keep the RPMs down which saves fuel. Ask those "Prius" people that have that "miles per gallon" meter in their dash! :)

This all said, here is a current rundown of my miles per gallon:
    Odometer Miles per gallon
         718 34.98
         935 23.94
        1133 25.98
        1448 29.77

This is with about 70% highway miles. My commute is 55 miles one-way.

Steven.
  • pghmaxpghmax Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2002 GXE and will be replacing the front pads shortly. Anyone out there done this and if so what brand pads have you used excluding Nissan pads. What auto parts stores have you purchased them from? The reason I ask is I had problems putting NAPA pads on my 99 Altima. They were very loud and I had to purchase the Nissan pads and put those on.
    Pittsburgh? Good city.

In any case, stick with the Nissan OEM pads. Purchasing other pads for Honda/Toyota/Nissan will result in situations exactly as you describe. Of the course of hundreds of thousands of miles in Toyotas, any time the front pads were replaced with non-Toyota parts, squealing and/or squeaking resulted. It was very annoying and had nothing to do with the quality of the "job" that was done, rather, we were told by Toyota mechs., it was the non-Toyota spec pads. It may cost more to use Nissan pads on your Sentra, but it will be worth it.

~alpha
    ...is being added today....I'll update you all tomorrow....

Steven.
    Hello all, well, the cruise control has been added as an after-market part and IT WORKS!!! If any of you want the big secret on how on earth it was done, please call Hals Auto Body at 916-485-9215. If you read my story above, I complained to the dealer that I needed it added. They did a good job and the dealer paid for it. They did not add it to the steering wheel and connect the "cruise" light sensor that is on the dash, but as a lever behind the lights lever on the steering column area.

If any of you call the number, I would be curious how it was done....please share the info on this board.

YAHOO!!! Also, I am about 2400 miles on my ODO reading and I am consistently still getting 26-27 miles per gallon.....can't wait to do my first oil change....

Steven.
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    This makes the Sentra among the least expensive new small sedans to buy. Question: will the current Sentra body style be continued in Model Year '05?
    If it does continue into the 2005 model year, it will likely be a short run, with the new model bowing for the 2006 MY in early calendar 2005(think March/April).

The current Sentra was intro-ed in Spring 2000 as a 2000 model, so according to typical Nissan design cycles (5 MYs), the 2004 should be the last, or damned close, and hence, my assumptions above.

Hope this helps.
    ~alpha

If you like power and safety features, the Sentra 2.5S is one of the best cars out there- 7.9 seconds to 60, and one of only a handful of small cars that offers side airbags to protect BOTH head and chest. The only drawbacks to this car are the middling EPA figures, the too-small back seat, and the effect that the rebates will have on resale value.
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    Early calendar year 2005 sounds good. I remember the current Maxima came out in the spring. What, if anything, do we know about the redesign?
    Hey everybody, anybody who has this type vehicle should be posting about their experiences! Or have people migrated elsewhere once a problem is resolved???? So far, I am getting close to 3,500 miles on the ODO and the m/g is now a consistent 27-28. My excitement over the cruise control has tempered....I am taking it in again to get it fixed or adjusted....it works but not over 60 mph which is not good when I am on a 65 mph highway. Also the cruise control will keep the same RPM's but NOT the same MPH when going up or down hills....not good for my purposes. It's going into the shop tomorrow. All expenses paid by the dealer that I bought the car from. I'll keep you updated...if there is interest.
    Why are all expenses going to be paid by the dealer where you got the car from, despite the fact, that, if I remember correctly, it is a non-Nissan aftermarket system which you are using? I am also perplexed as to why, since cruise is seemingly the most important aspect of the vehicle, you didnt just spring for the Road Trip package? It seems as though the cost of this package would have more than made up for itself in terms of search costs, the money value of lost time, etc....

~alpha
    "The current Sentra was intro-ed in Spring 2000 as a 2000 model, so according to typical Nissan design cycles (5 MYs), the 2004 should be the last, or damned close, and hence, my assumptions above."

Well, if the new one is coming in spring 2005 it will have to be called a 2005.5 or 2006. They can't stretch the 2004 MY into 2005. Also, they need Sentra's MPG/CAFE credits for the 2005 MY. So that means the 2005 Sentra will be carry over, making it officially a 6 model year car, something rare for them.
  • sanjig1sanjig1 Member Posts: 6
    HI.,
    I am in the market for a new sentra 1.8S with road trip package ( cruise+7 speaker system+ mats)

The dealer is asking $12.9K ( this inclused 2500.00 cash rebate from nissan).....
    Did any one pay a lesser price than this?
    I am in detroit....
    Thanks,
    Sandeep
    tomcat630- "Well, if the new one is coming in spring 2005 it will have to be called a 2005.5 or 2006."

Perhaps thats the case, but I dont think its necessarily so. The current Sentra was introduced in February 2000 as a 2000 MY model, not a 2000.5, or a 2001. Indeed, Nissan just released pricing and model year designations for the 2004 Infiniti M45 and Q45 at the end of January. Until that point, all models were still 2003s.

~alpha
    Hey Sandeep, jump on it. I wish I would have had your opportunity. I paid 13k without the roadtrip package...I didn't know I could.

Steven
    Hi steven,
    I am talking to 2 dealers actually and the price now just went to 12.7K out the door with the road trip package....Also( and separately) they are willing to give me extended 100k/5yr nissan warranty for
    $1200.00 out the door...is this price for warranty reasonable?
    Probably today I'll buy the new 2004 red sentra 1.8S with road trip package and maybe the extended warranty..
    Anyone please let me know if they have paid a lower price than this:
    Car price, out the door(including tax title doc dest plate etcetc): 12.7K
    Nissan Warranty 100k/5yr: 1.0K

thanks,.... Sandeep
    I finally bought the red 2004 sentra with road trip pkg for 12.7K out the door. The dealer offered me the 100K/5yr warranty for 899.00 but I did not take it. May be later I will buy it.
  • nss167nss167 Member Posts: 8
    Hi . Just spent today buying a Sentra 1.8 S automatic .

Paid $10635 Plus Tax and Tags for a total of $11125.

Options on the car: Floor Mats and Trunk Mat, Splash Guards and In-Cabin Microfilter.

Had a good experience at Gaithersburg Nissan in Gaithersburg, MD . Very smooth sale, they matched another dealer's ad price without any problems.

Salesman H.S did an excellent job and made the deal painless. Also, no hard sell in Finance. Asked if we wanted an extended warranty , but we refused.
    (BTW it's a 1.8 S auto NOT plain jane 1.8 just to be clear. Drove off the lot this evening with 81 miles on the clock.)
  • buffybaby1buffybaby1 Member Posts: 10
    My father has a 2001 sentra with 20000 miles on it.It has the 1.8 liter engine.Today was the second time it died on him while driving the car. He had to have it towed. The first time it was the crankshaft positive sensor or the ECM module was messed up.I do not know for sure.I do know that there was a recall on the Sentra for the ECM Module. Which they changed at that first stalling time.If anyone else has this or had this problem please let me know.He is in his 70s and has heart problems.So he cannot be in this car, if this is gonna keep happening. Thank you
  • nmferrinmferri Member Posts: 1
    I have had my check engine light on since 2002 and have had several recalls performed on my car claiming to fix the problem. However, the light always comes back on and now that my warranty is up they come back to me with the Mass Air Flow Sensor that has to be replaced for $570 with labor. Long story short, I tried working with the dealership, Poughkeepsie Nissan, and Nissan Consumer Affairs asking them to help pay since I have been in numerous times for the check engine light while under warranty that no one fixed, only performed recalls over and over again. Nissan Consumer Affairs and Pok. Nissan refuse to help me. To top it off, I drop my car off to get it fixed (giving 2 weeks notice for my appt.) and they forget to order the part and let us know 2hrs before we get there and yell at us for being mad at them. THey did the same thing with my brakes back in Jan 2004. I have been there about 5 times this year already. I hate my car, and many other things have gone wrong in the 3.5yrs I have owned it and cannot wait to get rid of it. Nissan does not help customers, very rude and spiteful with comments, and are not a good company to work with. And the trade is isn't even worth what I owe. I will never buy another Nissan after the way me and my family have been treated and because of the kind of crap they manufacturer and do not even stand by.
    Does anyone have any advice as to fixing the Mass Airflow Sensor or with this car in particular? Thanks
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I wish I could have spent more time but this was a lunch break test drive so I couldn't do more than run around the block and make 4 right hand turns. I liked the way it handled, the steering felt good, and the brakes were perfect. The shifter was rubbery and balked at going into 1st or 2nd when coming to a stop or slowing for traffic. I will test drive another one and see if it was just that particular car. They have several black 1.8/5-speeds but they are all loaded with mud guards and microfilter and mats. I just want AC, nothing else, but to get AC you have to take the CD deck. Oh well.
    Was at the dealership on tuesday and they looked at the car. They redid the alignment eventhough it was within specs. They assured me the a/c is fine...still skeptical about this though. Lastly, they did a diagnostic on the engine and said it to was within specs, but they must've done something else because the gas gauge seems to be moving down slower. Instead of just squeaking out barely 80 city miles per the first 1/4 tank, I did 93 miles since the service...what gives?
    Had a nice look at the '04 1.8s and like the tail end treatment very much. The leather steering wheel of the road trip package is also a nice touch.

• tomtom Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for a small car, like Sentra 1.8S, Corolla and Civic. Can you let me know the reliability of 04' Sentra 1.8S? I visited the dealer, and they asked for 13.8K out of door for 1.8S with road trip, Mud Guard, Floor Mats and Microfilter. One of the post mention could pay about 11.5K, it is amazing. Should I go for it?

Thanks for your comments.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I went to another area Nissan dealer to test drive another base model to see if the rubbery shift action is just that car or all of them. It shifted the same. I imagine that it will loosen up over time but it's very annoying to have to fight it to downshift while rolling, or to double clutch (which made it work fine as long as I matched engine speed to road speed, but it would NOT shift into gear at idle while moving with the clutch depressed, like you would do when getting going again without coming to a complete stop). I love the car. I would miss having a tachometer, and I'm surprised the 1.8 model has no folding back seat. I'd have to step up to a 1.8S for that and they are hard to find in black with 5-speed. I found one and the dealer had loaded it up with window tint, paint protection, pinstriping, and a spoiler. In fact every car on that particular dealer's lot had a $998 paint and fabric package on it so I won't be buying there. I don't care that a friend of mine works there, he's a salesman and salesmen don't sell cars, managers do. He's only there to make sure I don't steal the car on the test drive. I'm probably go back to the first dealer who does not apply things to the car as soon as it rolls off the truck.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
    Has anyone changed the incabin filter themselves?
    Has anyone changed the incabin filter themselves? If so what is the process?
  • nss167nss167 Member Posts: 8
    Got through about 3/4 of my tank on Sunday.
    Numbers looked like this:

10.17 gal.(Filled till click)

345.4 miles (Per trip A meter that I set to zero before driving off the dealer's lot)

Did almost all highway: from dealer to home and a road trip on Saturday.

Total miles so far about 475 .
    So far so good. Still in break in though.

Molten Silver 2004 1.8S Automatic
  • ewsnewsn Member Posts: 1
    I recently test drove three 1.8S modles with auto transmission on. The cars handled road pretty well. One thing I noticed with all three cars was that the engines became very loud before transmission shifting, especially from 1st to the 2nd gear. Is this a normal thing?
  • prashuprashu Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,
    A dealer in Phoenix is asking $12200(excluding tax and other fees), for 1.8S A/T with floor mats, in-cabin micro filter and splash guards. Please let me know if this is a good deal, if not than what might be a good deal.
    Thanx,
    Prashu
  • mduncan1mduncan1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had any electrical problems on their Nissan Sentra? I recently had to get a new ignition switch on a 2001 Sentra XE. My Sentra has about 55,000 miles on it, so of course warranty does not cover it anymore. Just curious...anyone else with this issue or similar to to? I thought this would not happen for at least 10 years of ownership!
  • carcar Member Posts: 4
    One of the Posts here mentioned Sentra at 10635 and with Taxes and Tags for 11165 (Thats less than 5% Tax). Am I getting the numbers right ? Did this car have the road trip package ? Please let me know.

Thanks
  • srocks4srocks4 Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I'm also shopping for a commuter car. I'm looking at Sentra 1.8S, would like to know which dealer you folks used.

Also, looking at a Civic VP.

Thanks,
    Sam
  • jamesntexasjamesntexas Member Posts: 3
    I just bought my little sentra a month ago. It is so much better than the peice of crap Acura Integra I had. I had nothing but problems with the Acura. That car left me stranded a total of 9 times in the 2.5 years I owned it.
    I bought this Sentra with 25,000k on it. The paint job is flawless, the interior is immaculate and it still smells new. So its new to me. Overall I am pleased with it. I've had a few things happen that made me say "huh"? First of all. The gas milage sometimes is good and other times it drinks gas like a V8 mustang. I've had great milage with it and I've had bad. Greatest I've had was 33mpg. Worst I've had was 21. Then there is the gas pedal. It sticks all the time. this is anoying because this is a 5 speed manual and I find my self having to jab the gas with my foot to make the pedal go down. Then I end up over reving the engine. It makes it sound like I want to challege people to race me. It bugs me. I will look into getting this fixed. Second complaint is the check engine light came on first week I had it. Took it to the dealership and they said my fuel injectors needed cleaning. They charged me to much money. It came out to 120$$$. I wasnt happy. Light went out(they shut it off, reset it or whatever) My maplights were so stuck that I couldnt even turn them on at all. Then just like magic one day they stopped and now I use them all the time with no problems....strange. When driving down the road faster than 65mph the steering wheel shakes a bit. The ride is very bumpy everywhere I go. The smoothest of freeways upset this car. However if I drive 80mph or over the car rides as smooth as glass. Go figure. I will see if perhaps I need to get it realigned or maybe some new tires even tho these tires arent very old by looking at them. I am happy with the interior for the most part. I love the room up front. I love the stereo. It has tons of bass to it. Though my stereo acted up once while playing a cd. It sounded like a all four speakers were trying to disconect from the wiring. A terrible scratchy sound. it happened twice ...I tried another cd and it happened again. Since then I dont turn the volume up to high and it doesnt do it. I love the fabric on the seats, the crome door handles, the cruise control is wonderfull. Brakes are great and love the windsheild wiper controls. I am in love with my foglights and spoiler. Back seat is camaro sized but I am single and wont have much use for it anyway. Trunk is duable, find it odd that if you want to fold the back seat down you have to do it from the trunk. Seems inconvienant to me. The headlights are the best I've ever had on a car. A/C works good. Wish it were a bit colder, here in Texas a good A/C is a must. hope the A/c doesnt break down in it for a long time. My alloys are so cool. Have a friend with a 03 Camry and he only has those cheap looking fake alloy wheal coverings. I feel safe in this car. Its not a lot of fun to drive in my book. Its okay. I miss how my Acura shifted. The throws are so long in this Nissan. Very rubbery and not very precise. Takes some fun out of driving stick. If anyone has a 2002 sentra I would be interested in hearing how yours is holding up. I already have some issues I'm concerned about...I really want to love this car...I hope it holds up, Honda lost my business, Lets hope Nissan doesnt.
    When writing a long post, please use paragraphs so it can be read easily.
  • jamesntexasjamesntexas Member Posts: 3
    Speak of the devil, today my service engine light came on after have the "problem" taken care of last week. I'll take it back to the dealership soon. I wonder what it will be now. I'm having doubts about my purchase.......hope this can be taken care of. anyone else have any advice about why this light loves to come on? Anyone up to date of any recalls on 2002 sentras?